Code of Honor

Open

The spot with the best freely accessible view of the island, Nature's Lookout was mainly used for contemplative purposes. There are a collection of handmade benches here to provide seating for those that desire it. One notable addition to the cliff face at Nature's Lookout is the wooden platform that extends out over the cliff that people could walk out onto to feel closer to nature and commit items to the earth below.
Aura

Post by Aura »

Yep, not a laugh from either of them. Tony's comedy game is definitely slipping. Or, you know, they're just rightfully freaked out by how many people are dead, the hole in his chest, or any of the many other perfectly reasonable reasons to be upset. Either way, he probably needed a different approach.

As for Daria's plan, though... yeah, he wished that he could do something about it, but it felt way too optimistic to be plausible. Getting everyone to stop would be great, obviously, but he felt like if that was to happen, then it would be at the start, before anyone had any blood on their hands. Now they were at the point that a lot of people had killed, and a few of them have killed a lot. At this point, he didn't think that most of them would be too willing to just stop after they had already killed so much, either because they had already gone so far, or because they didn't want to stop.

"Yeah, I don't really see how we could do that." He admitted. "Some people might listen, but others... yeah, I think they might be too far gone by now. Sorry, and it sucks, but I think it's true."

He shrugged. He didn't know what else to say.
Grim Wolf

Post by Grim Wolf »

Daria listened to both of them, nodding slowly to each of their objections. Her eyes landed last on Tony. "I know it's true," Daria said. "I talked to Quinn." She didn't elaborate further. She didn't want to elaborate further. That electric memory was still swelling and unfurling in her consciousness, all its implications not yet understood.

"We're not gonna stop them," Daria said. "We're gonna fail. We're gonna fuck up. Of course we are." She gestured at Tony. "Someone tried to pull a 300 stab on you, and I've been shot at more than once, and Quinn's a fucking psycho whose pretending this is liberation and Carrie was an actual schizo who was the sweetest-"

There were tears in her voice, which she hadn't expected. She closed her eyes, felt the tears she was trying to fight falling down her cheeks. Use it. Use the emotion. A voice hoarse, hearty, and honest.

She tapped her collar again. "Guns at our heads. We're going crazy. That's what you do when there's a gun to your fucking head. But maybe we can get enough people to say no. Maybe..." She opened her eyes and looked up towards the sky. "24 Hours without a kill. That's all we need."

She blinked, looked back at them, suddenly embarrassed. "Sorry, just...needed to talk. Thanks. For..." She trailed off, unsure what she was supposed to say. Instead, she moved a little closer to Tony. "You need...anything?"
Those Whose Time Has Come]

Terra Johnson (female student no. 73, DECEASED): Oh...duh...Abel's...dead...the one who...lives is...

Tom Swift (male student no. 60): It didn't matter what he wanted anymore.

Daria Bhatia (female student no. 56): "I pity you, and everyone who knows you. Because if you can live with this, I don't...I don't think you're human anymore.”

[+] Those Who Have Gone Before
[/url]

V6

Alex Tarquin (male student no. 32: "No more...masks..."

Tara Behzad (female student no. 12): "They don't get to decide how I die."

Lizzie Luz: "I don't want to go."

V5

Tyler Lucas: "I had fun. You?"

Karen Idel: Game over.

Xavier Contel: "G-gotta...trust people, Arthur. G-g-gotta try. C-can't be afraid."

v4

Naoko Raidon (male student no. 54): Dying like...this isn't...so...bad...

Mirabelle Nesa: "I'm a weak little girl who couldn't save anyone, even myself, but god damn it I beat you and god damn it you are going to remember that because I am Mirabelle Nesa and I am a hardened goddamn warrior and I am not going to fucking give up now!"

Simon Grey: "I never was a hero, but, God help me, I tried."

David Meramac: "Running towards nothing. Running from nothing."
Aura

Post by Aura »

"Oh, actually, it wasn't really like 300. See, it was..." Tony started trying to explain how he actually got stabbed, but when he realized that Daria was starting to cry, he came to the conclusion that this might not be the best time for that story. "Actually, it's a long story. I'll tell you later."

He felt a yawn coming. It wasn't that late yet, but he was still feeling kind of tired. Still seated in his spot, he glances around the area for a moment before unveiling another idea.

"Hey, what do you think about setting up camp here? We're sort of out of the way, so I think we could get by without running into any trouble." Of course, Tony wasn't 100% on that, because the island was unpredictable like that, but he had to try to do something to boost spirits, even in a small way. "If we need to go 24 hours without anyone killing anyone, then maybe taking a rest and staying out of trouble could be a good start, right?"

A solid plan? Maybe. But hey, staying alive, fed, and rested sounded like a better immediate idea than anything else right now.
Deamon

Post by Deamon »

"No, don't blame yourself. It's just..." Aliya rubbed the back of her neck and looked away. "That's a big ask y'know?"

Aliya didn't want to destroy Daria's hopes, everyone deserved something to hold onto after all. But she also didn't want the girl chasing an unrealistic and nearly impossible goal. There was only one way she could her plan ending and that in failure and disaster. Luckily before they had to dwell on it any longer Tony spoke up about making camp, it didn't seem like the worst idea, but she thought there were probably better locations out on the island. At the same time though Tony couldn't travel that far. He had been exhausting just heading up to where they were and she had helped him most of the way.

If he wanted to make camp Aliya guessed they were going to have to make camp.

"It's not a bad idea." She replied, "We have our backs to a cliff so people can only come at us from one way."

She looked up at the sun and then out over the island. The plan didn't discount people creeping out of the trees like Daria had but there was no way they could make it completely safe. Looking back to Daria she spoke again.

"You can stay if you want, safety in numbers and stuff?" She shrugged, unsure of how to continue the discussion. "No pressure or anything." Her attention returned to Tony.

"I'm going to pray and then we start sorting everything out, that cool?"
Grim Wolf

Post by Grim Wolf »

Aliya made her point. Daria nodded. "I know. But I just...think it's the only choice worth making." Tony spoke next, and Daria smiled slightly. "I figured. We talking Lord of the Rings, War and Peace, or Game of Thrones?"

Rest. A rest would be nice. She hadn't really rested since the beach. Since Carrie. And a moment later, Aliya was offering her a place in their game, and Daria's smile grew brighter. "Yeah," she said. "If you don't mind...yeah." She jerked her head. "Pray. I can...keep watch. Get started."

She didn't know what praying would do at a time like this, but they hadn't mocked Daria for her stupid plan, and she wasn't going to mock them for theirs.

Terra Johnson (female student no. 73, DECEASED): Oh...duh...Abel's...dead...the one who...lives is...

Daria Bhatia (female student no. 56): "I pity you, and everyone who knows you. Because if you can live with this, I don't...I don't think you're human anymore.”

[/url]

V6

V5

Xavier Contel: "G-gotta...trust people, Arthur. G-g-gotta try. C-can't be afraid."

v4

Mirabelle Nesa: "I'm a weak little girl who couldn't save anyone, even myself, but god damn it I beat you and god damn it you are going to remember that because I am Mirabelle Nesa and I am a hardened goddamn warrior and I am not going to fucking give up now!"

Aura

Post by Aura »

Tony gave Aliya room to pray, and scoped out their new campsite from where they stood. Only one way for anyone to come, and a pretty sweet cliffside view of the ocean? Seemed pretty awesome to him. The night shouldn't be a big deal, and they could go over their plans in the morning, no problem. A little rest, a little water, and a little food was just what they needed.

They set up the camp, and Tony did what he could to help. Admittedly, he couldn't do much, and Aliya seemed pretty insistent that he not do anything that could make his wound worse, which did limit him further, but he didn't raise a stink about it. He couldn't do much physically, and he wasn't much of an idea man, but fuck it, he'd still try.

He felt a sting in his chest-hole after dinner, or at least what they called dinner anyway. It just didn't feel right calling crackers and water "dinner". Man, what he wouldn't give for his mom's spinach curry, or a Tamales Trio from Ibarra's. Damn, he was missing a lot of stuff right now. Hell, no better time for reminiscing that at night, he supposed. Maybe if he thought about being back home right before bed, he'd dream about it. Just another carefree day at home, playing some video games before heading to work. Spending a few hours cooking some good food before going home and eating even more good food. Maybe talk to Aliya about something or whatever in the evening, too.

Yeah, those days were pretty damn good. Sure would be great to go back.

Tony went to sleep with those pleasant thoughts in his head. Maybe things would be better tomorrow.

Whether they were or not, he wouldn't find out. The job that Paloma had started was finally finished while Tony was peacefully within a dream.

B082: TONY ACARDI- DECEASED
75 STUDENTS REMAIN
Deamon

Post by Deamon »

She prayed, and it felt weird to do so but it also made her feel slightly better about everything. A momentary reprieve and moment of peace, where it was just her and her thoughts. The other two allowed her the time she needed and she was thankful for that. Emotionally she felt drained but she was able to center herself somewhat. She prayed again later once the camp had been set up. Then they'd eaten as a group. Her, Tony and Daria, a new addition to their pair but she didn't hate having a group again.

Somehow the three of them had found some semblance of tranquility for the rest of the day. No one else appeared and no violence came near them. They had somehow ended up separated from it all. But Aliya knew that as soon as they woke up they would be thrust back into their true reality. They had no say in that occurrence. They would be pulled back beneath the surface of violence and pain. Any breaths they got would have to be fought for, especially as the number of people remaining reduced. Aliya had a suspicion that eventually the safe areas would be reduced, more and more areas would be blocked off by the terrorists as they forced them into conflict. They couldn't do anything to stop that from happening. They would just need to be ready for it.

When Aliya woke up her surroundings seemed less welcoming and harsher. The air was already sticky as she rose and it hung thick around her. She absentmindedly rubbed the dirt from her eyes and grabbed her bra from where she had set it down. After she had put it on she groped for her bag, even though it was a school trip Aliya had still packed like she was heading off for a show. It was just a habit as it turned out that habit had worked in her favor. She had a spare set of underwear, a spare pair of socks and to save on space she had packed her training gear, which meant a tank-top and her dark blue marble leggings. Still, considering the weather that wasn't the worst thing she could have done either. After getting changed Aliya set to work pulling her back into as good a ponytail she could manage. She ran her hands through her hair and grimaced at the greasiness of it. All the days she had spent without being able to wash it were starting to show. Ponytail made she draped it over her shoulder and taking it in her hand she withdrew a bottle of water and her toothbrush. She brushed her teeth while sitting on the edge of the lookout, feet dangling over the edge and spat out the residue into the trees below.

Once that was done she moved over to Tony and gently nudged him with her hand.

"Hey, time to wake up buddy." She said softly, she didn't think anything of it when he didn't immediately respond. Instead, she moved over to Daria and repeated the process. Only to return to see Tony hadn't moved. She bit her lip as her heart rate steadily increased. Her stomach had bottomed out as she crouched down next to Tony and pushed him harder.

"Hey, Tony, wake up."

Nothing.

She shook him, her voice growing desperate.

"Wake the fuck up Tony!"

Again nothing.

Aliya stared at him and shakily moved her hand so the back of her fingers touched his cheek. He felt cold. She lowered her hand slightly so it was in front of his mouth, trying to feel his breath. There was nothing.

His body had finally given up and after all that time Tony was gone.

After a long pause, Aliya sat back onto the ground.

"At least you died in your sleep buddy." She whispered, wiping a hand across her eyes. "At least it was peaceful."
Grim Wolf

Post by Grim Wolf »

And for the first time since the fire, Daria felt safe.

None of the hiding, none of the searching, nothing precarious. In good and helpful company, Daria helped make camp, and joked and talked and argued with Aliya and Tony, and watched the dark gathering across the island and the sea. Tony kept trying to help, wincing with the effort. Aliya prayed again. Daria talked to them, and watchced the sea and the sky, and smiled more than she had in awhile.

And when night fell, she found she couldn't sleep.

She did not bother Aliya or Tony with her problem. She wasn't sure it was a problem. She didn't even exactly feel tired, and her thoughts were almost clear. It was less like she couldn't sleep and more like the boundary between waking and dreaming seemed...arbitrary.

Dream the impossible dream

Awake, she stared up at a clear and cloudless sky, the cool breeze off the sea cooling the humid air. Asleep, she was among the stars, and the stars changed shape to match her thoughts, and no sooner did her thoughts settle than she was awake again, staring at the sky.

She was a fool.

Her foolishness seemed as clear as the cool air and the night sky she was a part of. A hyperventilating, panicky child, strung out and terrified with the shadow of your doom hanging heavy over you, until you seized on one foolish notion. A game. It's all a game, a system you can exploit, and you are Dhairyalakshmi Bhatia. The world will bend to your will.

How has that worked out for you, Daria? Quinn is a monster.

Fight the unbeatable foe.

Caroline is dead.

Bear with unbearable sorrow.

The last time you tried to stop the fighting, you almost got your head blown off. The friends sleeping next to you know it can't possible work. You know it can't possibly work.

Run where the brave dare not go.

And in your dreams you comfort yourself with the malformed words of dead men. An Indian girl quoting the words of a Spanish madman as interpreted by an American lyricist. Look at yourself, Daria. Fool, fool, from the first moment to the last, from waking to sleeping to waking again, from birth to death, and death is as close now as the darkness is to the stars above. You're surrounded by it. You're swimming in it.

But fool that you are, you're not drowning in it. Fool that you are, impossible star, you're still taking your shot.

She saw her corpse clear as day in the dark night. She saw her bloody, broken body, almost peaceful, like the boy bobbing in the shoe-covered surf. The boy's body. Carrie's body. Her grandma's body. Her body. The night sky was a constellation of deaths that were and deaths that are and deaths that might yet be.

Already a ghost.

Not yet, Daria. You've got a body as well as a mind. There's still a chance to change things. And even if there isn't...this is nice. The night sky, and enough water to quench your thirst, and good company for the first time since Carrie.

Dream an impossible dream. Reach those unreachable stars. Stop being afraid, Carrie. You already made the choice. So what if you're a fool? Being smart won't save you. So why not tilt at a few windmills, and see if you can slay giants?

"Hey, time to wake up buddy."

Wake up? Daria was already awake. There were no more stars in the sky, just the deep blue of a rising dawn. Her clothes felt sticky with gathering humidity. No ghost here. No ghost could feel this sticky. Or smell this bad.

Aliya moved towards her. Daria blinked at her, but could not quite bring herself to rise. She kept staring up at the sky.

"Hey, Tony, wake up."

Maybe she wasn't the only one enjoying the morning.

"Wake the fuck up Tony!"

Oh.

Daria sat up at once. Aliya was crouched over Tony. After a moment, Aliya sank heavily back onto the ground. Daria rose slowly, hesitated, then walked to where Aliya sat. Looked down at Tony, so peaceful he might have been asleep.

"I'm sorry," Daria said, and wasn't entirely sure who she was talking to.

[/url]

V6

V5

v4

Deamon

Post by Deamon »

Daria approached and offered her condolences. Aliya's stare remained fixed on Tony's body as she replied.

"Thanks." She rubbed her eyes with both hands as her lips twitched. It was silly really. She had known ever since he had picked up the injury that Tony was going to die; even as she helped him through his final days she was mentally preparing herself for the moment he moved on. As it turned out despite all the time spent thinking about it she was no better prepared to process the event. There were many thoughts in her head that she wanted to speak out loud. She wanted to give them form and broadcast them to whoever was watching but at the same time, she found them all to be inadequate cliches. So Tony didn't get a eulogy. Her words wouldn't change anything and she would have been unhappy with them anyway. Silence was the option she chose.

As she sat there the speakers buzzed and popped as the announcement begun. Aliya listened absentmindedly as she gathered her things together and withdrew any additional supplies from Tony's packs. She left his body where it lay, he had died peacefully and she didn't want to ruin it. He deserved that, he had gone through so much. Tony's name appeared as Danya continued to speak. His death being assigned to Paloma, it didn't come as a surprise to her. She would deal with that when it came to it. There was no point worrying about it.

Once she had finished breaking down the camp she turned to Daria.

"I'm going to move on. I don't know where I'll go or what I'll do but uh hopefully I'll be able to help someone." Her right hand rubbed at her eye again. "You're welcome to come with if you want..." She shrugged. "It's up to you."

Then, after one more look at Tony, she started to leave, moving to the edge of the clearing and heading back into the woods. As she walked her knees ached and sometimes stabbed with pain but she ignored it and kept moving. Tony had managed to keep going with a hole in his chest so she could deal with some tweaked knees. Her injury was nothing compared to what he had dealt with. She didn't know what was going to happen or what she was going to do moving forward but she knew one thing for certain.

Tony Acardi was hard as fuck.

((Aliya Kimia Nemati continued elsewhere...))
V8
Aracelis Fuentes
California “Cali” Fox
Darryl Smith Jr.
Jessica Romero
Roberta “Robbie” Woodvine
[+] V7
G047 - Aliya Kimia Nemati - Blowgun w/ 10 Poison Darts - you're nobody till somebody kills you - "I just wanted to talk." - DEAD
G001 - Arizona Butler - Camping Stove - Dead Bxdies in the Lake Part II - ""We got there eventually." - DEAD
B046 - Bret Carter - Weighted Net - Swerve - "I'll just be on my way and we can all continue with our evenings." - DEAD
G022 - Forrest Quin - Ball-gag and handcuffs - DRUGS SAV3D MY LIF3 - "Abe-" - DEAD
Grim Wolf

Post by Grim Wolf »

"Thanks," Aliya said, and Daria didn't know how to reply to that. Thanks for what? For saying sorry? For being here? Or were they just reciting an empty script? Sorry, because Aliya clearly knew Tony better than she did, and was grieving in a way that Daria couldn't. And Aliya said "Thanks," because that's what you were supposed to say.

Christ, Daria felt tired. Still, she couldn't tear her eyes away from Tony's face. From the corpse's face. He almost looked happy.

“Good morning kids!"

Daria's head jerked up, as though she would find Danya's smug face waiting for her again.

"I’ve got some great news for you to start us off today and it is that if you’re listening to this you have officially made it to the halfway point of our game, congratulations!"

A shock of cold, like bolts of ice radiating out from her spine across her veins. Daria closed her eyes.

She tried to be funny with it. Only halfways through? Or already halfway through? Are you relieved, exhausted, terrified or enraged? Lots of choices of potential motivation, lots of nifty places to take your plot now, Daria. Aren't you gonna swagger out of this? Aren't you listening just to sharpen your character. Halfway through. Halfway through. Everything she'd been through, and they were halfway through. How many dead now? 100? Running out of time. It's gonna go the same way it always goes. You've done nothing.

You're a failure and you've always been a failure.

No no no not listening to that voice and look, Aliya's moving, follow Aliya, help her put the camp in order, you've got to move or you're going to fall apart.

But she couldn't stop listening to the Announcements. Not after Carrie. Hearing names she knew, from the Island and from before. Thinking of what it all meant. So she was sluggish, trying to help Aliya. Hearing about those dead by fire, by the easy hand of their killers far above. The collar on her neck felt so terribly heavy.

She was sluggish, but she didn't stop until she heard Quinn's name. It was just for a moment, freezing over their little camp, a flicker of her eyes to the nearest speaker.

Quinn. The killer off her leash. The free woman on their island prison. The murderer. Gone. Just like Carrie.

Were they all dead now? No, no, Katelynne was still alive somewhere. Maybe Daria should try to find her.

"Then we end things off with a death right at the buzzer as Tony Acardi finally died from a wound inflicted on him by Paloma Salt days ago. Man, we were wondering what was taking him so long."

"Fuck you!" snapped Daria, trying to find a camera she could glare at. His death wasn't a joke, and even if she hadn't known him that well, it hurt to hear it treated that way.

But the Announcements ended, and no one answered her, and the whisper in Daria's head was a lot louder now than it had been. Foolish girl with foolish dreams, alive by no grace of your own, with mad ideas no one wants any part of.

Daria looked at Aliya. Aliya looked at her.

"I'm going to move on," Aliya said. "I don't know where I'll go or what I'll do but uh hopefully I'll be able to help someone." Her right hand rubbed at her eye again. "You're welcome to come with if you want..." She shrugged. "It's up to you."

And she turned, and walked away, and for a moment Daria was almost dazzled, because if Daria Bhatia was always hoping to look larger than life, Aliya was pulling it off. It was like watching the Man with No Name swaggering through some deserted town, like Toshiro Mifune with sword in hand facing his rivals in Yojimbo. Walking alone, and towering with that loneliness.

Daria almost followed her right there. She wanted to be close to that strength. She wanted to be part of that mission.

But Aliya's words kept ringing in her head. Help. They'd said it to each other. She'd said it to them. And Aliya was leaving with the word still fresh on her lips. After Tony's death...after the Announcements...after all those reminders of how much they'd lost, and much there still was left to lose...she was still. So. Strong.

Maybe there was something to be said for prayer. Or if not prayer, faith.

Like tilting at windmills?

Maybe. Or maybe it was something more concrete than that. Maybe it was simply about believing it was worth it. Even when it all went terribly wrong.

Aliya wanted to help people her way. And Daria, foolish and sleep-deprived and shaken, still wanted to help people in hers.

She set off down the cliff, but unlike Aliya could not stop herself from looking back at the cliff's edge where they'd left Tony. She wondered if she'd die looking like he did. She wondered if it mattered.

"Good luck," she whispered, and wasn't sure who she was talking to.

(Daria Bhatia continued in All Eyes On We)

[/url]

V6

V5

v4

Return to “Nature's Lookout”