Pool Slingshot

P.E. class at the pool; open!

The gymnasium is a large section of the building with a huge coyote mural on the outside. It is used for a number of activities; the floor features markings for basketball and floor hockey, and the mobile equipment allows for both of these games to be played, along with volleyball, table tennis, and more. Gym class is usually held inside, and the room is frequently converted into an auditorium for pep rallies and other important school events. Offset from the gym is a smaller weight room with fitness equipment, though it is somewhat out of date. Mats can be dragged into the main room fro wrestling practice. Adjacent to the gym are the pool and a large football field, with a track circling the green. The outdoor twenty-five-meter pool is used by the swim team, P.E. classes that want to break up the pace, and some students looking to escape the desert sun.
RC†

Post by RC† »

Phew. That turned out rather well. Jeremiah would have hated it if Parkison would've monologued him or Junko. Jerry just hated it. Not because he was afraid of being ridiculed by the teacher in front of his classmates. After all, everybody looked at them anyway, right now, but whatever. It would've been just annoying.

Whenever a teacher or a parent wanted to hold a curtain-lecture. Sure, this was effective for little children, he himself was also intimidated by these in the past, but now? They were in high school, it was ineffective, it was boring, it was a waste of time.

Jerry knew that, even if either of them would not do their best, it'd have no consequences. He was good in PE, he couldn't give him an F on his report for bumping into somebody. Besides, he was pretty good in volleyball, so even then he would get a good grade. No consequences, this was ridiculous.

Parkinson's behaviour was really ridiculous and his threats were bluffs. But Jeremiah was smart enough to know that, heh. But hey, maybe his other classmates didn't know that. That's why Parkinson's a teacher, isn't it?

That was the goal. Make every student do their best. That's what Jerry did, that's what he knew without having to get a lecture. So he tried to swim slightly faster.

And then his opinion about the threats changed when he bumped into Mia, who was a dang fast and good swimmer.

He really should've payed attention instead of ranting about Parkinson's silly threats in his head. Now he realised that the threats might've been more than just annoyance why he didn't want to be drill sergeant'ed. And bored he wouldn't be.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler RC. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

I'm going to have to do this, aren't I?

Nadia lowered her head halfway into the water and started to blow bubbles.

Might as well.

Nadia swam over to the lane and began to swim. She figured it would be better to just keep quiet and do the required exercise. The last thing she wanted was to give the coach reason to call her out.

So she swam, enjoying the water and doing her best to not crash into anyone for the whole gym period.

((Nadia Riva continued in Fabulous and Opinionated ))
Pippi

Post by Pippi »

It was gosh darn near impossible to jump out of a body of water whilst swimming; Mia had attempted it a couple of times when she had been younger and bored. Nevertheless, the sound of Coach Parkinson beginning to reprimand somebody was enough to make her inadvertently reattempt this feat and defy the laws of physics. She froze mid-stroke, switching to treading water instead. If Parkinson was trying to get her attention for lazing around at the start of the lesson, then he probably wouldn't appreciate her swimming along as merry as could be.

Thankfully, Mia wasn't the target of Parkinson's ire today. From what she could gather, that dubious honour went to Jerry and Junko. Well, that made sense. Jerry did have a habit of getting injured, didn't he? It was kinda amusing just how often it happened, honestly. Unfortunate for him, but it was just so frequent. As for Junko... she was another one of the sporty, active, enthusiastic kids, wasn't she? If so, it was kinda weird that they hadn't hung out more. Birds of a feather, and all that. Then again, like poles on a magnet repelled each other and all that.

Mia would have shrugged if she wasn't swimming. Just one of those things, she supposed.

Right. Time to get back to business. Parkinson had totally thrown her for a loop and out of her stride. Mia rolled her neck, feeling the satisfying click, before launching back into a front crawl. It was slower going at first, without a diving start, or wall to propel away from, but it didn't take too long for her to return to her previous form. So, volleyball was next, huh? That was pretty cool, she supposed. Most of her friends would probably classify that as being more 'fun' than laps, but there was a reason Mia was seriously considering taking up swimming as more than a hobby. Still, she couldn't complain too much. It was a chance to try out another sport she didn't get to participate in regularly, which was nothing but a good thing, plus it was still in the water so-

Mia's thoughts were rudely interrupted by something colliding with her, throwing her stroke and her breathing pattern off. She tried to make some sort of noise of aggravation, something akin to 'ack', but seeing as her mouth was underwater at the time, it came out more like 'glub' instead.

Mia raised her head up from out of the water and shook it, droplets flying every which way around her. She looked around to see who exactly it was who had bumped into her, and saw that, somehow, in less than a minute, Jerry had been involved in two separate collisions. Any malicious thoughts, which never lasted long in Mia's mind anyway, were instantly banished, and she simply started laughing instead.

"Pretty sure trying to knock your opponent out counts as an illegal manoeuvre, Larkin!" Mia said, grinning at Jerry all the while.

Hopefully Coach Parkinson would take as lighthearted a view to it as she did.
[+] V7
B006 - Stepney Cruz - DEAD - Dynasty decapitated, you just might see a ghost tonight - Mountain Bike - Localised - Catastrophe - Inferno
Pregame - Chill - Loss - Realm
Trip - Loved

G035 - Katie Agustien - DEAD - There's only two ways that these things can go, good or bad and how was I to know that all your friends won't hold any grudges, I got the final judgment - The World's Sharpest Knife™ - Dread - Skin - ieatnothing - Satisfaction - Tempest - Zero
Pregame - Vend-etta - Flames - Fleet - Monachopsis - Glitter
Trip - G҉ A҉ N҉ G҉

B028 - Aurelien Valter - DEAD - When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat, before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream - Spiked Mace, Glock 19, Min-Jae Parker's Crossbow - Nightmare - Bubbles - Neighbourhood - Tragedy - Make It - Fiend - Sleet - Love - Walls - Friends - Key - Everything - Gotta - Ghosts - Alone
Pregame - Shark - Heart
Prom - Link - Gradation - Ballare
Trip - Inferis - Scusare

B052 - Garren Mortimer - DEAD- Cut up and I can't feel my hands, no need to chase, can you relate, can you keep up the pace like you're dying for this? - Bryan Calvert's SPAS-12, Alligator tooth sword - Sky - Geek - Nation - No - Dilemma - Mauerbauertraurigkeit - Struck - Punishment - Énouement - Pain - Learn - lamb - Moves
Pregame - Rain
Trip - Life

Meanwhile
Lyra Doyle - Let's live tonight like fireflies, and one by one light up the sky - Pop!
Pregame - Evolution - Life - Lo Mein
Memories - Forward - Odds

Dean Puchero - By July you'd made a whole bunch of brand new friends, people you used to look down on, and you'd figured out a way to make real money - Phone - Angel
Pregame - Generation - Prince
Memories - Star
Prom - Sun - Luster
[+] The Past
V6
Bryony Adams - Burning bright until the end, now you'll be missing from the photographs
Astrid Tate - So what became of loving man, and what became of you?
Mia Rose - You can't understand that I won't leave 'til we're finished here, and then you'll find out where it all went wrong

V5
Owen Kay - I fold my tie and ribbon to hide my scars, that's how it starts
Amy Bachelor - Can you whisper, as it crumbles and breaks, as you shiver, count up all your mistakes
Francis St. Ledger - So a day when you've lost yourself completely could be a night when your life ends

V4
George Leidman (Adopted from Blastinus) - Now if we jump together at least we can swim far away from the wreck that we made
Beatrice - Jamie - Pippi - Tim - Ada - Tabby - Romeo - Lissa - Freddie - Trinity - Redd - Natalie - Kendra
[+] The Future
Boyd Adkinson - Ain't no surprise that I can't sleep tonight, my only vice is standing by your side
"bryony and alba would definitely join the terrorists quote me on this put this quote in signatures put it in history books" - Cicada Days, 2017
Emprexx Plush

Post by Emprexx Plush »

Somehow, the exertion just wasn't working today. No matter how much he pushed himself on, the frustration just wasn't leaving his body. That only made him draw inward more, blocking out the others as much as he could. He'd stay on his lonesome today and try to find a way out of this funk later. Best to lay low until the rest of class and avoid the others. He could practically feel the water boiling around him as it was. No need to add to it or make somebody else a target if he couldn't stay clamped.

Relief would come eventually. He just needed a better outlet.

((Ty Yazzie Continued In For the people who said "Sit down, you're rocking the boat."))
[+] SotF Characters
[+] V5 Characters
ImageG056, Alda Abbate(Adopted)
It was difficult to nail down exactly when the anger started. Remembering a time when it wasn't there, coiled up and waiting to strike or alive and thrashing, was growing more and more challenging. It'd been with her for so long that it no longer felt like an intruder in her mind. It felt like a part of her.
ImageB062, Garrett Wilde
I multiplied. Then I subtracted. That's what we do now. That's how we keep the most people around.
ImageB014, Joachim Lovelace(Adopted)
Your turn.
[+] V6 Characters

ImageG037, Abby Floyd:This place was vile. Overwhelmingly, terribly vile. Character Theme: Everything's Alright-Emily Scholz
ImageB016, Ty Yazzie: You ever wonder if you still got a home to go back to? Character Theme: Warrior People-Medicine For The People
ImageIsaac Brea(Adopted from Espi): Isaac's well of fucks was bone-dry. Character Theme: The Whiskey, The Liar, The Thief-Patent Pending
ImageG011, Caedyn Miller:So...how did you wanna do this? Feeling an open casket? Or is that dumb? Nah, don't say it, that's dumb. We'll be soup by the time they send us home anyway. Character Theme: Sleep-My Chemical Romance
ImageG032, Irene Djezari(Adopted from CicadaDays): Death was not worse than Meme Hell. Character Theme: A Beautiful Lie-30 Seconds To Mars
[+] V7 Characters
ImageB066, Blaise d'Aramitz: I am not fucking dabbing on a corpse, Carl. Character Theme: The Nurse Who Loved Me-A Perfect Circle
ImageG032, Helena 'Hel" Fury: I hope my family’s waiting. The one I made out here. I hope you’ll be a part of it again. Character Theme: Fix Me-10 YearsImage
ImageB073, Jeremiah Anderson: "GO--GO--GO." Character theme: The Big Sleep-Murder By Death
ImageG066, Marco Hart: I'm not satisfied anymore. I don't think I'd want to be if I could. Character theme: Maurice's Monsters-Small Leaks Sink Ships
ImageG080, Nikki Nelson-Kelly: The fools. The morons. The aBsOlUtE cReTiNs. Character Theme: Movement-The Whip
ImageG062, Tonya Collins: The girl, the person, the thing, the shape on the screen, that wasn't her. Character Theme: Get Down-Isador
KamiKaze

Post by KamiKaze »

Junko stopped again, treading water to see-

Was this shit for real?

Junko knew that what she just saw wasn't something her brain made up. But did Jerry just get into another crash? This time it was the swim team girl, Mia. In some ways, Junko admired Mia. She was dedicated, damn it. They never talked much, but she was supposed to be really good at swimming. Cheerleading and apparently BMX, too. Of course Junko would approve.

She didn't approve of Jerry being the crash monkey for today, though.

At least she had a sense of humor about it. Junko tried to stifle a laugh. Tried. But it only lasted a few seconds. She laughed anyways. Okay, Mia, you win. That was actually pretty damn funny.

It was like a game of dominos, wasn't it? Pretty soon Mia would crash into someone else, and they'd crash into... dunno, Nadia, and it'd all loop back to her. No, not dominos, then. A cycle. A cycle of crashing while swimming. Even if someone could have drowned, it was still funny to her.

Once she was done laughing, she said:

"Let's not crash any more, 'kay?"

She still smiled, though.
RC†

Post by RC† »

Jeremiah was caught by the laughing and grinning. Laughing was contagious for him, so he had to laugh as well.

He then agreed with Junko to not crash into each other and showed it with a nod, while smiling.

"You got me, Rose", he said with a grin to Mia.

Then, he swam to the end of the track to wait for volleyball. Well, in volleyball he was forced to concentrate more than swimming, because else the ball will land on the floor.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler RC. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Pippi

Post by Pippi »

Well, that turned out better than expected. Nobody seemed to have been hurt in the collision, after all - well, Mia couldn't speak for Jerry's pride, given he'd crashed twice, but that was neither here nor there. She was a little concerned that Coach Parkinson would have some choice words about her, Jerry and Junko laughing and most definitely not swimming, but he seemed to be preoccupied with somebody else. Well, that or he'd gone momentarily deaf. Either or.

Mia turned in the water so that she was now floating on her back, kicking lightly every few seconds so that she swam in a lazy circle around Junko and Jerry. She wasn't gonna get any proper swimming done this lesson, was she? Well, that was okay, all things considered. She had cheerleading practice after school, if she worked double hard then, she could make up for the time lost now. Maybe volleyball would make for some good exercise as well.

Most importantly, people around her were laughing and smiling. That was never a bad thing in Mia's world.

"Sounds good to me!" Mia said, winking at Junko as she continued to swim on her back. "No more Larkin about, scout's honour!"

Oh Jesus. That was awful. Simply awful.
[+] V7
B006 - Stepney Cruz - DEAD - Dynasty decapitated, you just might see a ghost tonight - Mountain Bike - Localised - Catastrophe - Inferno
Trip - Loved

G035 - Katie Agustien - DEAD - There's only two ways that these things can go, good or bad and how was I to know that all your friends won't hold any grudges, I got the final judgment - The World's Sharpest Knife™ - Dread - Skin - ieatnothing - Satisfaction - Tempest - Zero
Trip - G҉ A҉ N҉ G҉

B028 - Aurelien Valter - DEAD - When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat, before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream - Spiked Mace, Glock 19, Min-Jae Parker's Crossbow - Nightmare - Bubbles - Neighbourhood - Tragedy - Make It - Fiend - Sleet - Love - Walls - Friends - Key - Everything - Gotta - Ghosts - Alone
Pregame - Shark - Heart
Trip - Inferis - Scusare

B052 - Garren Mortimer - DEAD- Cut up and I can't feel my hands, no need to chase, can you relate, can you keep up the pace like you're dying for this? - Bryan Calvert's SPAS-12, Alligator tooth sword - Sky - Geek - Nation - No - Dilemma - Mauerbauertraurigkeit - Struck - Punishment - Énouement - Pain - Learn - lamb - Moves
Pregame - Rain
Trip - Life

Meanwhile
Lyra Doyle - Let's live tonight like fireflies, and one by one light up the sky - Pop!

Dean Puchero - By July you'd made a whole bunch of brand new friends, people you used to look down on, and you'd figured out a way to make real money - Phone - Angel
Memories - Star
Prom - Sun - Luster
[+] The Past
V6
Bryony Adams - Burning bright until the end, now you'll be missing from the photographs
Mia Rose - You can't understand that I won't leave 'til we're finished here, and then you'll find out where it all went wrong

V5
Amy Bachelor - Can you whisper, as it crumbles and breaks, as you shiver, count up all your mistakes
Francis St. Ledger - So a day when you've lost yourself completely could be a night when your life ends

V4
George Leidman (Adopted from Blastinus) - Now if we jump together at least we can swim far away from the wreck that we made
Beatrice - Jamie - Pippi - Tim - Ada - Tabby - Romeo - Lissa - Freddie - Trinity - Redd - Natalie - Kendra
[+] The Future
Boyd Adkinson - Ain't no surprise that I can't sleep tonight, my only vice is standing by your side
"bryony and alba would definitely join the terrorists quote me on this put this quote in signatures put it in history books" - Cicada Days, 2017
KamiKaze

Post by KamiKaze »

Junko continued to tread water, still with a grin on her face.

"Wow, Mia, you really..." she paused for effect. "... Rose to the occasion, didn't you?"

Again she laughed.

What? She liked puns. She didn't get why they were considered the lowest form of humor. Sure, there were some corny ones, but some do hold water. Junko had never drifted away from puns, and probably would never. They weren't a particularly deep brand of humor, but she loved them.

Right. Anyways.

"Yeah, we should get going", she said, taking another glance at Parkinson. Currently he was gazing right at them. "I don't wanna get into hot water with the coach."

With that, she went back to her front crawl. Of course, she paid attention this time.
RC†

Post by RC† »

Jerry had to giggle loudly. Puns were funny and made Jeremiah smile. Okay, sometimes they were lame. But now they aren't.

He wished he could think of one, too. But he couldn't. Kurosawa, Kurosawa. How the hell can there be a pun made with this name?

Still, Jeremiah was a bit afraid of a possible sanction of Parkinson and tried to not get noticed by him.

Oh, Parkinson's a good name for a pun. A parking son. Or something like that. Waitno, that wouldn't ever make sense in any context.

Yeah, puns are lame.
Pippi

Post by Pippi »

The puns were coming thick and fast now, and Mia started giggling again, which turned into a cough as she almost ended up swallowing some of the water. Her grin was still on her face as she managed to get the majority of pool out of her system, but Parkinson seemed to have shifted his gaze towards her area of the pool, so she floated onto her back and restarted her lazy version of the backstroke.

Even as she drifted along and her arms swept up past her head, Mia was nowhere near as focused on her swimming as she usually was. Right now all she was trying to think about was more puns. She wasn't exactly a 'pun connoisseur'; a couple of her friends seemed to make every other sentence out of their mouth contain a pun or shitty joke in some format. She guessed she'd just gotten caught up in it after her first one.

There was one small niggle at the back of her mind that Coach Parkinson would be disappointed in her after class. She'd managed to get into his good books during her time at school after all, given how much energy she usually put into it, and she wasn't exactly prepared to leave them. Maybe if she put in a good focused performance during volleyball everything would be a-okay.

She wasn't even that concerned that she wasn't completely focused on swimming right now. One slightly distracted PE lesson was hardly going to ruin her chances of taking up the sport professionally, especially given she would likely be diving straight back into the pool once classes had finished for the day. She was even free of any imminent homework or due dates looming over her, so she could cram in as much exercise as she wanted this afternoon.

Nope, all Mia was focused on at the moment was more puns, and sadly any and all ideas seemed to have dried up. Jerry and her own last names had already been used, and she couldn't really see any way of using Junko's without reaching further than Stretch Armstrong. As for first names... nothing came to mind relating to Junko or Jerry that wasn't rude in some way. Jeremiah was just waaay too long to think up anything on the fly, and she had no idea what her friends' middle names were, if they even had any.

Yep, her brain was pretty much MIA at this point.

((Mia Rose continued in Yard Sard))
[+] V7
Trip - Loved

Trip - G҉ A҉ N҉ G҉

Pregame - Shark - Heart
Trip - Inferis - Scusare

Pregame - Rain
Trip - Life

Meanwhile

Memories - Star
Prom - Sun - Luster
[+] The Past
V6

V5

V4
[+] The Future
KamiKaze

Post by KamiKaze »

The puns got a good reaction out of them, she saw. Too bad Junko's name wasn't that punnable, at least in the English language. Was "punnable" a word? She had no idea, but it should be. She'd support every step of it getting into the English dictionary. It had a nice sound, and if... whatever that volcanic ash lung thing was there, along with "swag", "punnable" should be there too. Anyways. You'd have to go into the Japanese language to get a good pun off "Junko" or "Kurosawa". And she didn't think Mia or Jerry was too familiar with that.

Anyways, no more puns, or else Parkinson will have her swamped after school. And she didn't want that. She had things to do, like... skating. And homework. And games- yeah, not too much, actually. But she didn't want to spend the afternoon in detention because of crashing and puns and god knows what else.

Let's just hope the rest of the class goes normally.

((Junko Kurosawa continued in I Hate Mustard))
RC†

Post by RC† »

And it did. Jerry managed to not crash into anybody while swimming or while playing volleyball.

((Jeremiah Larkin continued in I didn't choose the Puck life, the Puck life chose me))

Return to “Athletics”