The Feather of Truth

Oneshot, Morning Day 8

The staff library has been burnt to the ground, the friendly atmosphere lost to time. Sunlight freely enters the library from where the now collapsed roof used to be, and wind freely blows through the compound. Charred and collapsed bookshelves litter the area, and the floor is covered in layers of ash from the former reading material. A few partially burnt chairs remain standing, and the fireplace has been left mostly untouched.
Malloon

The Feather of Truth

Post by Malloon »

The announcement for today had come and gone, and Ben had vowed that it would be the last. Someone else who he knew had died, Ben Fields, but he hadn't had grief left to spare. He was gone, like Wade, like Irene, like Noah. The dangerzone was in the basement of the asylum today, so he knew that there was no way he was going to be able to predict where it would be next. It would have to be fire.

(Benjamin Lichter continues from Prey Empathy)

He entered the library again. He wouldn't be here long, he knew, he was just here to pick up the last thing he needed for the plan - the shard of glass. He went up to one of the windows with the chair leg, and swung hard. CRACK. The window cracked, but didn't shatter. He frowned, slightly surprised at how tough the glass was. But then he swung again, and this time it shattered. The pieces also all went outside.

"Drat," he muttered, and walked back outside and around to where the glass lay in the grass. He chose a shard with a nice and sharp point and put it in the first aid kit. There was less chance of it breaking or it damaging other things in there, he reasoned.

Walking back to the front of the library, he thought that some paper would probably help with stoking a fire, but he saw that there was no chance of him finding any here. He remembered that the blue-haired girl he had seen here the day before had picked up a half-burned book. Maybe she had wanted to burn something too? Well, the more the merrier, he thought. The more fires, the more trouble the terrorists would have to go to to put them out.

He turned to go, but his last look at the burnt-out shell of the library reminded him of a song. As he strode away, he started to sing.

"And the walls kept tumbling down
In the city that we love
Great clouds roll over the hills
Bringing darkness from above.

But if you close your eyes
Does it almost feel like nothing changed at all?
But if you close...

His voice faded off into the distance.

(Benjamin Lichter continues in Sic Semper Sanguinus)
V6 Character:
Benjamin "Squirrel" Lichter [ ~ / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / + / > ] - You'll find him in the clouds.
V7 Characters:
Chloe Bruges [ - ] - You'll find her doing math.
Joseph "Joey" Quintero - You'll find him writing speaches.
Keith Rogers - You'll find him out with his gang.
[+] In the unlikely event you want to use my characters...
Putting this here, so people know, if it ever becomes relevant (unlikely, but still): If you want to use my characters for anything non-profit, you may, without contacting me even (though it would be nice regardless). All I want is a small mention that gives me credit for first concieving of them. If you want to use my characters for something for-profit, if it's just a cameo or similar, you also may, under the same terms; if it's a more substantial role, I don't want to chain myself to any statement - then contact me.

Return to “The Library”