Returning Home

Oneshot

The area that feeds into Aurora High is representative of the ethnic and economic diversity that makes Seattle so unique. The architecture is varied, illustrating the growth and expansion that the city has undergone. Turning a corner can lead you from townhouses and apartments to quiet tree-lined streets of modest single-family homes, while the next turn might lead you to areas of much higher or lower property values. The unifying sight in the area is the herds of students who trudge to and from the school daily.
watcher in night†

Returning Home

Post by watcher in night† »

((Meera Stele: Start))

Meera never felt more alive than after she'd been running.

Soccer practice had gone on for a little over two hours after school, and though she'd been tired for about ten minutes and her muscles had burned; now as she drove home she felt startlingly awake, more alive than she'd felt in, well, since the track run the other day. It was all she could do not to speed up the car still further, and even now she was driving dangerously close to the small road's speed limit.  

The sun had just begun its downward descent beneath the horizon when Meera pulled her slightly battered silver car into the Stele family's driveway, carrying her heavy backpack up to the door. Her home was fairly nondescript (there were at least six others almost identical to it) and she'd begun to think of it as rather small for a family of six.

Meera opened the locked door with her key and kicked off her cleats at the entryway. She stepped into the kitchen, which was empty. "Hello?" she called. No one answered. She knew her mom had gone to get her sister from her school (her car wasn't in the driveway), but she'd expected her father and brothers to be here. The usual indicator that her dad was home- the television blaring in the living room- was noticeably absent. She'd seen her brothers'  backpacks in the hallway, so they clearly had come back from school. So why was everything so quiet?

Stepping into the living room, Meera saw her younger brother Aamir sprawled out on the couch, immersed in whatever ridiculously massive book he was currently reading. His long black hair was messy and uncombed and he wore rumpled school clothes. His eyes never left his book and he didn't make any other acknowledgement of her presence.  

Ah. That explained it.

Meera walked over to him and snapped her fingers under his nose.  Aamir started and dropped his book onto his lap. "What?" he asked sharply as his head spun in her direction. Seeing her, he immediately relaxed. "Oh. Hi, Meera," he said. He made a move to pick up his book.

Meera's hand darted out and snatched out of his grasp before his fingers closed around it. "Not so fast," she said. "Where is everyone?"

Aamir waved a hand vaguely. "Dad took Brian up to the park, I think. He should be back anytime. Mom's gone to get Mel."

"Okay," said Meera. "Anything else I should know about?"

"Not really. A couple in my class broke up."

"Tragic," said Meera idly. She looked down at the rather heavy book she held in her hand. "I don't know how you find the time to read these things in your junior year."

"I've done my homework," said Aamir. "Now can I have my book back?"

Meera wordlessly handed him the book and walked upstairs to her room. She quickly changed- I'll shower in few- and walked downstairs to the kitchen. She poured Rice Krispies into a bowl and opened the fridge, and realized immediately that the milk carton was empty. She sighed and dumped it into the garbage.

Dad will inevitably call later and ask me to drive him and Brian back. I can't imagine he'll walk back. If Mom doesn't bring back some, I'll get it then, she thought. She was sure he had his phone with him, but so far he hadn't called her or texted.

"Hello?"

She heard the door open and her mom, Ashira Stele, stepped into the kitchen, carrying a bag in one hand. "Meera," she said, smiling. "You're back. How was school?"

"Oh, you know, the usual," said Meera. "Drama, intrigue, violence, and math. All that fun stuff we seniors get up to."

"Ah. Just making sure everything's going well."

"Of course," said Meera. "Got any milk in there? We're out."

"No, sorry. Where are the boys?"

"Dad took Brian up to the park...or something. I last saw Aamir buried beneath a thousand-page monstrosity. I doubt we'll be seeing much of him tonight."

"Typical," said her mother, "Mel's over at a friend's for the night. I think I'll have to run out and get the boys soon. They're down at the Castle, and I can't
imagine your father walking all the way back here, even if he managed to walk there earlier. I guess I'll have to go out and get them later."

"You should get started on dinner. I'll go get them," Meera said. She could see the look of gratitude on her mother's face and knew she'd made the right call.
"Are you sure? You just got back from practice." she asked.

"Yeah," said Meera. "But I need something to focus on other than homework anyway. And besides, I can grab that milk while I'm out."

((Meera Stele continued in As Long as There are Stars Above You))
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler watcher in night. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.

Return to “The Neighborhood”