Chocolate Discococo

Just walking home with the ipod on

The area that feeds into Aurora High is representative of the ethnic and economic diversity that makes Seattle so unique. The architecture is varied, illustrating the growth and expansion that the city has undergone. Turning a corner can lead you from townhouses and apartments to quiet tree-lined streets of modest single-family homes, while the next turn might lead you to areas of much higher or lower property values. The unifying sight in the area is the herds of students who trudge to and from the school daily.
Serpico†

Chocolate Discococo

Post by Serpico† »

((Yoshio Sato continued from A Tale of Blood and Sweatsocks))

It was a fairly nice afternoon as Yoshio left the gym and headed to his home. It was relaxing after watching all the drama that had unfolded earlier. He hooked his earphones into his ears and started to shuffle through his music, The Beatles, Utada Hikaru, X Japan, Asian Kung Fu Generation, Eminem. He shuffled through all those musicians before getting fed up and manually searching for the song he wanted.

Ah, here was the one he was looking for. Chocolate Disco by the band called Perfume. Normally he wasn't one to sing along to songs outside of his room, let alone girly ones like this, but he was certain that it was empty along the street he was on. He gazed around quick just to make sure before proceeding to sing.

Yoshio's singing could be described as neither good nor awful, but it was at least passable. It was fun for him and it made the musical experience more enjoyable for him. Plus, it wasn't likely that anyone he knew would come racing around the corner at top speed and catch him. Though if they did he probably wouldn't hear or see them coming.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Serpico. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
ViolentMedic

Post by ViolentMedic »

((Mallory McCormick continued from A Tale Of Blood And Sweatsocks.))

Running. Is. Awesome.

Mallory wasn't sure why she never joined track. She did like running. She preferred competitive sports, but when it came to just plain exercise she liked running the best. Being a good runner was integral to keeping her spot on the soccer team, anyway. God knows she didn't want that to go the same way as her football playing career.

She'd stuck around the school fields long enough to do a bunch of all-fours before choosing to run home. She was running as fast as she could, and had nearly mowed down a couple of pedestrians, but it was helping working off any built-up frustration. It was more healthy than the other option of imagining what she'd do if Alba was tied to a chair and unable to hit back.

Mean thoughts, those. Punching someone in an uneven situation wasn't cool. Even if they were a dickasaurus.

...And dear god, what was that noise?

Mallory slowed down to a jog as she rounded the corner to see Asthma Guy. Just walking along, listening to an Ipod and singing... something terrible. Some horrible, peppy, girly-sounding pop song in a language she didn't recognise.

Mallory jogged towards him and slowed down to a trot. Plodding along behind him, she raised her voice slightly so she could be heard over his headphones.

"What's up with the girly music? ...It's terrible."
Serpico†

Post by Serpico† »

Yoshio looked at Mallory; an expression of surprise on his face.

Seriously? I take my guard down for a moment and the girl from the school gym shows up

He supposed that he should answer her question "It is called C-Chocolate disco by Perfume... and I do not really know why I am listening to it." he mumbled the last bit as he took off his earphones.

His expression was now awkward, he felt a little embarrassed, but that was his fault for singing out in public like that. As he was walking he realised something, his house was further down the street, and if she didn't turn anywhere before that she would know where he lived.  Not that it was much of a problem, but she was a bit odd and made him uncomfortable. But, it wasn't like she would jump into his yard or invite herself in or anything like that.

Yeah, he figured that she wouldn't be that socially inept. They were sort of close to the house now, and Yoshio decided that since she was there he would at least take a shot at a conversation.

"So, what sports do you play? I am assuming you play one because you were in the gym, unless you just want to work out which is also good..." he stopped himself there and waited for her response.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Serpico. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
ViolentMedic

Post by ViolentMedic »

"Chocolate Disco? ...Blech." Mallory pulled a face as she trotted along behind him. "Well, it sounded awful. But maybe it sounds better when an actual singer sings it or something? I mean, it had high notes and all, and most guys can't hit that high. Probably wouldn't matter, though. Any of those songs that are, y'know, 'Confectionery Dance Style' tend to suck."

Asthma Guy (she'd only picked up his name, like, half an hour ago, why had she forgotten so quickly?) was making a weird face. She wasn't quite sure what sort of expression it was, though. Just that it was a weird one.

Then he started asking questions about sports. Oh, thank god, something she actually knew stuff about. There were always those conversations, like with that Penny girl a while back, where she didn't really know what to say and just babbled about whatever came to mind. Usually, it would then descend into awkward silence or whatever.

But sports? She could talk about freaking sports.

"I'm on the soccer team. Well, the girl's one, obviously. I think obviously. I mean, apparently bright blue eyeshadow isn't obvious enough for some assholes!" Her voice had risen a bit high during that last sentence, and she stopped for a moment. "...Damn voice shouldn't go that high. Anyway... yeah, soccer's pretty fun. I like football loads more, like... seriously, soccer is about here--" Mallory held her hand up at about her shoulder, "But football is... y'know... up there." She stretched her arm as far as she could above her head. "Couldn't get on the team, though. I'm not so great at out-muscling the sort of guys on football teams. ...You're a footballer, ain't you? I mean, you look like one. You're pretty gigantic."
Serpico†

Post by Serpico† »

Yoshio was a little bit bothered by her singing comments; he wondered how anyone could be so painfully blunt. There were always those people he supposed, and he doubted that she was actively trying to offend him. At least, he didn't think it was an insult, even though it punched his ego a tiny bit. Still, it wasn't too bad as he never really intended to be a singer anyway. So he thought it was best to ignore it.

She went on to talk about a lot of sport related stuff and for the most part Yoshio could keep up, he wished he had his English to Japanese dictionary for one or two words though. But, he was certain that the dictionary would not contain some of the words as they were likely colloquial.

"Yes, I am the offensive lineman, the uh, offensive tackle." He paused "I spend a lot of time working on my diet with supplements and it's a bit hard for me to maintain my weight, I cannot really eat as many foods as I did when I was young." Oh crap, he was rambling "I can see how it is difficult for you to get onto the team, since some teams have guys larger than I am."

He hoped that she wouldn't take it to offence and quickly added "I'm sure with much more training you could probably get much stronger, it is not un heard of to have a female member on the football team. What is your diet now?"

As they walked he could see that they were closer to the house he was staying at, and that Caesar, the Jenkins's pet dog was at the gate bouncing up and down excitedly. That thing never ran out of energy.
ViolentMedic

Post by ViolentMedic »

"Offensive tackle, eh? That's cool. In junior high, before I... erm... before I got kicked off the team and all... I was a running back. It was awesome. That was before all the guys just... kinda sprouted like freaking trees." Mallory flailed her arms upwards for emphasis. "I mean, they'd always been bigger, but... yeah, maintaining the... weight-ness... is hard..."

Gigantic Asthma Guy took bigger steps than Mallory, what with having longer legs and all, so Mallory had to go back to half-jogging to keep up.

"And... supplements? Do you know how much that stuff costs? Way too much, that's what. Same reason I can't really afford to be picky about food. Cheap stuff usually isn't healthy, but... y'know... it's cheap and--DOGGIE!"

She had noticed the dog bouncing around behind the fence of a nearby house. Briefly ignoring Gigantic Asthma Guy, she ran forward and, without any regard for personal safety or potential biteyness, stuck her hand through the fence to pat the dog. The dog's response was to happily slobber all over her hand. "Good boy. Or girl. Good thing. Who'sa good thing?"
Serpico†

Post by Serpico† »

She said something about guys sprouting like trees, it took him a moment to realise what she meant exactly but he eventually got it. She was talking about how she couldn't change her diet. He frowned, as that sounded like an excuse and he didn't like excuses. He considered saying something but before he could figure out what she spotted Caesar.

Yoshio said nothing as she approached Caesar, a little concerned that someone would stick their hand in a fence with a strange dog; it was like she had no concept of self-preservation. So yes, he was baffled about how... stupid that was. He asked himself: Why couldn't she pet the annoying Chihuahua down the street? He then realised that, well, maybe because that dog would definitely bite her. It was just that he never figured that out of all the dogs on the street that it would be Caesar to catch her attention.

Damn it, he guessed that it couldn't be helped. He approached the gate as Caesar began to bound up and down. He always made getting through the gate a little hard.

"Caesar, sit down."

Caesar ceased bouncing and sat, but it was only a few seconds later that he resumed jumping up and down.

That was fine, Yoshio guessed that Caesar was too focused on Mallory to listen to him.
ViolentMedic

Post by ViolentMedic »

Mallory had essentially forgotten that Yoshio was there until she heard him approach the fence and tell the dog, whose name was apparently Caesar, to sit. The dog only did so for a few minutes. Mallory couldn't blame it (well, Caesar was a male name, so probably a he.) She didn't like being told to sit either.

"He's your dog, then? He's adorable. Always wanted a dog. But they poop everywhere, so Mum said no." Without asking for permission, Mallory clambered over the fence separating her and Caesar, figuring that if the dog hadn't bit her yet he probably wasn't going to.

The fence was just high enough to be slightly difficult to climb, so she stumbled slightly when she hit the ground on the other side. Caesar didn't help matters by deciding to jump up at her while she was still off-balance, which caused what little balance she had to vanish completely.

"Gah!" Thud. No sooner had she hit the ground than Caesar had decided to continue his happy jumping and slobbering. "Aaaaaah!" Mallory flailed her hands around, trying to stop the dog from slobbering on her face. "Lemme sit up! Lemme sit up!" Once she'd sat up, she returned to patting the dog. "Good thing. Boy. Good boy."

Remembering again that Yoshio was still there, she said, "So, with football and stuff... you got any favourite teams? I don't know any Asian teams. I'm a Seahawks fan. And yeah, I know that's a cliche, Seattle-person-who-supports-the-Seahawks... but you know. Gotta support your team and stuff."
Serpico†

Post by Serpico† »

Yoshio was able to successfully enter the gate without Caesar's hindrance; he shut it behind him and fixed the latch. He was about to set his bag down, before realising that the dog had recently evacuated there and chose against it.

Mallory really seemed to like Caesar and Caesar really did seem to like her and at least that was good. Then again, Caesar pretty much liked everyone. Yoshio could at least rule her out as a serial killer, dogs knew these things, not that he suspected that she was one in the first place.

He didn't mind answering her question about sports teams, because after all it was a very pleasant line of conversation.

"I also like the Seahawks, but I normally like to follow the local team from where I lived. The Albirex Niigata." He tried his best to sound out the word so that it was pronounced the English way, but he couldn't really help saying what roughly sounded like Arubirekkusu. Damn the letter L and the letter X, just when he thought he was getting the hang of pronouncing words, the English language brings up new obstacles.

Oh well, it was best not to dwell on that.

He didn't really have much to say after that but luckily he didn't have to, because the front door jutted open and a tall thin woman wandered out. This was Mrs Jenkins, she was wearing a brown tie dyed dress and purple lensed spectacles. She had a basket, because she intended to pick some apples.

Oh, glorious distraction.

She looked at the two kids in the yard, and laughed "It's a bit early to be bringing girls home isn't it, Yoshio?"

God damn it. He knew she was kidding, but that was an awful joke. He chuckled, awkwardly and ran his hand through his hair before shrugging.

"A friend of yours?"

Yoshio tried to work out the nicest way to say that she wasn't. After all, he just met her. Maybe Mallory would handle this better.
ViolentMedic

Post by ViolentMedic »

"Yeah, never heard of the..." Mallory wrinkled her nose, trying to figure out how to pronounce whatever Asthma Guy had said. "The... Abrekkickeroos? Sounds like a breakfast cereal. Have you ever seen a breakfast cereal themed around football? Because that would be awesome, eating little football-shaped cereal bits for breakfast and all."

Mallory had been about to go into a huge explanation regarding metaphorical football cereals and why they'd be so much better than cereal themed after soccer when the door of the house swung open and a skinny, hippy-looking lady wandered out. Probably Asthma Guy's mum. Wait... no resemblance or anything. Right, Asthma Guy was... Niigata was a Japanese place, right? Probably an exchange program or something.

She made some comment about Yoshio--oh, right, that was his name---bringing girls home. The only part of this that Mallory really registered was that the lady had referred to her as a girl. Hurrah, I am recognizably female and not just a guy with too much eyeshadow! Then the lady asked if Mallory was a friend.

"Nope!" Mallory explained cheerfully. "I just met him. Actually, I keep forgetting his name but I do that to basically everyone and I know it at the moment because you just said it. Also he didn't really invite me into the yard, I just climbed over the gate because I like dogs."

Mallory paused for a moment, absentmindedly patting Caesar, who was still attempting to slobber on her face.

"Oh yeah, I probably should have asked, huh? My bad."
Serpico†

Post by Serpico† »

Mrs Jenkins smiled "That's alright; it's always nice to have visitors over. Plus, Yoshio needs to get out and make more friends because he's not very social, you know." She started to head off towards the apple tree "Anyway, I'll leave you kids alone to chat."

Yoshio thought that Mrs Jenkins was far too blunt, sure he wasn't too social, but it wasn't like he had crippling anxiety or anything. At least, he thought he was doing well. Well, now he was left here staring and Mallory, and he wasn't sure what to say. To say the least, he was a little embarrassed.

"Sorry about that..." He wasn't sure what to say next, but he quickly change the subject. "So... Uhm... Caesar is an Irish Setter. It looks like that he really likes you."

He thought of a better subject now, which is what he really should have mentioned earlier. "If you are looking for a spotter in the gym I will help you the next time." He paused "If that is what you would like, I mean. I will help you train more."

He didn't really mind doing that, as it would be nice to train with someone instead of training alone.
ViolentMedic

Post by ViolentMedic »

Well, Yoshio's Not-Real-Mother was nice. She didn't get mad at Mallory climbing over the fence. Last time Mallory had done that she'd gotten chased by an old man in a walking stick. Though that'd been a taller fence and it was because she'd kicked her soccer ball into his yard.

Not-Real-Mother left towards an apple tree, then Yoshio spoke again. Something about the dog liking her.

"Dogs always like me. They can't tell when I'm saying stupid stuff. Isn't that right?" Mallory cooed at the dog. "You can't understand a thing I'm saying, no you can't..." The dog responded to this by rolling onto his back and letting her scratch his belly.

Then Yoshio offered to spot for her again and to help her train.

"You'd do that? Because that'd be awesome. I mean, I don't think all the training in the world would help me, but it's fun to try anyway and it'd be good to hang around with people who like football--you wanna play football? I'm still okay at it."

At which point Mallory remembered that she had been doing her running.

"Aaah, I was doing running and I need to run from school to home with no stops or else it doesn't feel right because then it just feels like two smaller runs and I don't like that..." Mallory stood up and gave the dog one last pat. "Sorry, I should go. But I'm totally taking you up on that spotting thing."

She clambered back over the fence, ignoring the existence of the gate, before waving cheerfully and sprinting off.

Well, that day hadn't been so bad now. Sure, the encounter with Alba had been shit, but now she had a weightlifting buddy. Woo!

((Mallory McCormick continued in Tiger in the Night.))
Serpico†

Post by Serpico† »

Before Yoshio could really respond to Mallory she left, he was a bit perplexed because she climbed over the fence instead of using the gate. A laugh quietly escaped as he waved at her as she left, though she probably didn't see. He supposed that she was an oddball, but she was cool enough to qualify as funny instead of creepy.

He would definitely have to catch her later; the idea of a training buddy was exciting. Once she was out of sight Yoshio made his way into the house to drop off his bag and continue with the rest of his day as planned, with Caesar bouncing along side him the whole way to the porch.

(Yoshio Sato: Continued elsewhere)

Return to “The Neighborhood”