The Latest Story That I Know is the One That I'm Supposed to Go Out With

Open, sundown Day 3 --> morning Day 4

Serving the important purpose of linking the islands that hold the staff accommodation and the hospital itself the connecting bridge is a large iron truss bridge that has walkways for pedestrians and a single lane for traffic; typically supply trucks ferrying items to and from the supply depot to the hospital. Due to its truss design there are large iron beams which make up the load bearing superstructure of the bridge itself. Additionally as a result of its iron composition the bridge is now extremely rusted and the lane has become fractured and filled with weeds over the course of time, adding a more natural look to a man-made structure.
backslash

Post by backslash »

There was warm wet splatter on her back and her arm, and Bridgette felt herself gag at the feeling and the smell but she was choking and she couldn't do anything but twitch and choke. A few helpless, terrified tears spilled down her cheeks. All she could see was dirt and a pair of shoes belonging to her attacker, and she couldn't even cry out to Bryony and Nadia.

Caedyn, it's Caedyn, please help, she's killing me-!

This wasn't how things were supposed to go, she was supposed to get out of here. She'd had a plan.

This wasn't how she was supposed to die.

This... this wasn't...

Her thoughts were fading away, even as she was horribly aware of her own uncontrollable movements and the blood oozing from her head.
"Art enriches the community, Steve, no less than a pulsing fire hose, or a fireman beating down a blazing door. So what if we're drawing a nude man? So what if all we ever draw is a nude man, or the same nude man over and over in all sorts of provocative positions? Context, not content! Process, not subject! Don't be so gauche, Steve, it's beneath you."
Emprexx Plush

Post by Emprexx Plush »

She just wouldn't die. Why wouldn't she die? There was so much blood, and she was obviously fucked up, there was no coming back from this. Just let it end. Stop drawing attention and just die like you're supposed to.

She sent Bridgette rolling over with her foot. The bottle came down and buried itself in her vomit covered stomach without another thought. Die. Another swing into her chest as tears started to form in her eyes. Die. Again and again around her upper body. Chunks of glass broke off as she went, but she just kept making those shallow stabs as she started to hiss. "Die, die, die..." It was all she was supposed to do. This was her fault. All her fault. If she'd just done done one thing, anything right the first time, she'd at least be dying a lot easier. But she had to drag this out.

Caedyn wouldn't let her have the satisfaction.

Even though she was bleeding all over her chest, she was still sputtering, and twitching, and drooling everywhere. The stubborn little bitch just wouldn't give up. "J-just die already!" The words came out in a choked shriek as she swung the bottle up around her face, cutting and stabbing wildly at her mouth, her throat, her eyes, her nose, anything at all that would just make this finally stop.
[+] SotF Characters
[+] V5 Characters
ImageG056, Alda Abbate(Adopted)
It was difficult to nail down exactly when the anger started. Remembering a time when it wasn't there, coiled up and waiting to strike or alive and thrashing, was growing more and more challenging. It'd been with her for so long that it no longer felt like an intruder in her mind. It felt like a part of her.
ImageB062, Garrett Wilde
I multiplied. Then I subtracted. That's what we do now. That's how we keep the most people around.
ImageB014, Joachim Lovelace(Adopted)
Your turn.
[+] V6 Characters

ImageG037, Abby Floyd:This place was vile. Overwhelmingly, terribly vile. Character Theme: Everything's Alright-Emily Scholz
ImageB016, Ty Yazzie: You ever wonder if you still got a home to go back to? Character Theme: Warrior People-Medicine For The People
ImageIsaac Brea(Adopted from Espi): Isaac's well of fucks was bone-dry. Character Theme: The Whiskey, The Liar, The Thief-Patent Pending
ImageG011, Caedyn Miller:So...how did you wanna do this? Feeling an open casket? Or is that dumb? Nah, don't say it, that's dumb. We'll be soup by the time they send us home anyway. Character Theme: Sleep-My Chemical Romance
ImageG032, Irene Djezari(Adopted from CicadaDays): Death was not worse than Meme Hell. Character Theme: A Beautiful Lie-30 Seconds To Mars
[+] V7 Characters
ImageB066, Blaise d'Aramitz: I am not fucking dabbing on a corpse, Carl. Character Theme: The Nurse Who Loved Me-A Perfect Circle
ImageG032, Helena 'Hel" Fury: I hope my family’s waiting. The one I made out here. I hope you’ll be a part of it again. Character Theme: Fix Me-10 YearsImage
ImageB073, Jeremiah Anderson: "GO--GO--GO." Character theme: The Big Sleep-Murder By Death
ImageG066, Marco Hart: I'm not satisfied anymore. I don't think I'd want to be if I could. Character theme: Maurice's Monsters-Small Leaks Sink Ships
ImageG080, Nikki Nelson-Kelly: The fools. The morons. The aBsOlUtE cReTiNs. Character Theme: Movement-The Whip
ImageG062, Tonya Collins: The girl, the person, the thing, the shape on the screen, that wasn't her. Character Theme: Get Down-Isador
backslash

Post by backslash »

Bridgette couldn't scream.

She wanted to scream, screaming was basically the only thing to do that this point, but she couldn't. She was choking, she was dying, and there was so much blood everywhere and it hurt, it hurt, couldn't Caedyn see that Bridgette wanted it to end even more than she did?

Blood was running into her eyes and filling her throat. She couldn't even control her own body. Forget thoughts of winning - she just wanted to not feel anymore.

This wasn't how things were supposed to be.

This wasn't how her life was supposed to end.

Make it stop.

Make it stop.

Make it stop.

Make it stop.

Make it stop.

Make it stop...

Make it...

Bridgette shuddered, sputtered, and went still. In the sudden absence of her dying noises, the sounds of Caedyn's sobbing and the pattering rain on the bridge were deafening.

G003 BRIDGETTE SOMMERFELD: DECEASED
"Art enriches the community, Steve, no less than a pulsing fire hose, or a fireman beating down a blazing door. So what if we're drawing a nude man? So what if all we ever draw is a nude man, or the same nude man over and over in all sorts of provocative positions? Context, not content! Process, not subject! Don't be so gauche, Steve, it's beneath you."
Emprexx Plush

Post by Emprexx Plush »

By the time it was over, her panting sobs were the only sounds left in the rain. There was blood everywhere, including Jane's pretty white dress. She was sore, and she was angry, and she had fucked up. But Bridgette was finally dead. Caedyn had done what she couldn't, because she was just better than her.

That was it. Bridgette fucked up, Caedyn didn't. Bridgette was stupid, Caedyn wasn't. Bridgette deserved to die, and Caedyn deserved to live. It was that simple, and it was going to be no matter who it was she came across. They all deserved this. It was going to happen anyway, right? Caedyn didn't want to hurt her, but killing her now, it was, it was nothing but mercy.

Just mercy. And even if it wasn't, it was all her fault anyway. She looked down at the marred wreckage of Bridgette's face and choked up. "You're f-fucking welcome," she rasped out.
[+] SotF Characters
[+] V5 Characters
It was difficult to nail down exactly when the anger started. Remembering a time when it wasn't there, coiled up and waiting to strike or alive and thrashing, was growing more and more challenging. It'd been with her for so long that it no longer felt like an intruder in her mind. It felt like a part of her.
ImageB062, Garrett Wilde
I multiplied. Then I subtracted. That's what we do now. That's how we keep the most people around.
Your turn.
[+] V6 Characters

ImageG037, Abby Floyd:This place was vile. Overwhelmingly, terribly vile. Character Theme: Everything's Alright-Emily Scholz
ImageB016, Ty Yazzie: You ever wonder if you still got a home to go back to? Character Theme: Warrior People-Medicine For The People
ImageIsaac Brea(Adopted from Espi): Isaac's well of fucks was bone-dry. Character Theme: The Whiskey, The Liar, The Thief-Patent Pending
ImageG011, Caedyn Miller:So...how did you wanna do this? Feeling an open casket? Or is that dumb? Nah, don't say it, that's dumb. We'll be soup by the time they send us home anyway. Character Theme: Sleep-My Chemical Romance
ImageG032, Irene Djezari(Adopted from CicadaDays): Death was not worse than Meme Hell. Character Theme: A Beautiful Lie-30 Seconds To Mars
[+] V7 Characters
ImageB066, Blaise d'Aramitz: I am not fucking dabbing on a corpse, Carl. Character Theme: The Nurse Who Loved Me-A Perfect Circle
ImageG032, Helena 'Hel" Fury: I hope my family’s waiting. The one I made out here. I hope you’ll be a part of it again. Character Theme: Fix Me-10 YearsImage
ImageB073, Jeremiah Anderson: "GO--GO--GO." Character theme: The Big Sleep-Murder By Death
ImageG066, Marco Hart: I'm not satisfied anymore. I don't think I'd want to be if I could. Character theme: Maurice's Monsters-Small Leaks Sink Ships
ImageG080, Nikki Nelson-Kelly: The fools. The morons. The aBsOlUtE cReTiNs. Character Theme: Movement-The Whip
ImageG062, Tonya Collins: The girl, the person, the thing, the shape on the screen, that wasn't her. Character Theme: Get Down-Isador
Espi

Post by Espi »

((Alice Baker continued from Restore/Restart/Quit))

In a brief, glorious moment, Alice thought things might actually be okay.

They'd spent the night just outside the asylum, hiding from sight, waiting for the inevitable moment when that crazy boy found them again. Alice fell asleep still dreading that moment, her thoughts so incoherent that she dreamt of fear, nameless faceless terror.

Even after awakening, she felt awful.

She and Sandra kept going, though Alice was secretly doubtful that Sandra would be able to walk for long. She couldn't help but think Sandra might be more injured than she looked or acted, after the trauma of the situation before. Perhaps she was being paranoid.

The bridge loomed in the distance, so they went that way, since Alice hadn't left this side of the island yet. Perhaps she'd find Bryony somewhere else. It made sense; if Bryony was hiding out, Alice wouldn't expect her to be somewhere obvious.
But then again, she was standing right there in plain view.

Wait.

What?

"Bree! Bree!" Alice shouted, shrill with excitement, as she stumbled forward before breaking into her best attempt at a dead sprint. There was her friend, her best friend, someone who she had been so scared for this whole time, someone she could trust to be a good person. Not that other people couldn't be good, but Bryony was different. She was-

Alice stopped, freezing in place, as she grew closer she spotted something. She hadn't been running straight with the bridge, but at an angle. She could see under the bridge. So, numbly, she stared at Caedyn, covered in blood, a mutilated body with what looked like vomit all over, lying on the ground before her.

Then Alice wasn't numb anymore. So she shrieked.
CondorTalon

Post by CondorTalon »

((Sandra Dyer continued from Restore/Restart/Quit.))

Cameron. Mia.

They were both dead.

Nevermind the fight with Alan. That's what hurt Sandra the most. That's the reason Sandra kept her face hidden from Alice as they left the asylum. That's the reason that she listlessly followed Alice at a distance. Close enough as to not lose track of her, but only that.

She wanted to cry. She wanted to scream, and shout, and get her hands on something... or someone... and rip them to shreds. But that... she didn't need that. Alice didn't need that. So she kept herself neutral, as best as possible, anyway.

She had closed the distance to Alice as they neared the bridge. That was the only reason she heard Alice call out Bryony's name. That was the only reason she saw Alice staring at something under the bridge.

Sandra moved forward as Alice screamed, putting herself between Alice and the person under the bridge.

Caedyn. Caedyn standing over a dead body, blood covering her.

She took a few cautious steps closer.

"What the fuck did you do?!"
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

((Skipping for inactivity))

"Be my guest. I wasn't planning to stick around much longer," Nadia said to Bridgette about checking out the bridge.

Bridgette passed by her and went under the bridge. That left Nadia with Bryony up top. Nadia didn't know what to talk about with Bryony. The two of them didn't have a lot in common, and with Bridgette out of the way, she wasn't sure what to say.

"So...Alba..." Nadia began. "Sorry, haven't seen anyone with that name. Haven't seen a lot of decent people here."

Before Nadia could say much else, someone else started calling out for a "Bree." She turned and saw some girl running towards them. There was another girl close by. Nadia was sure that they were friends or people she knew from school. She didn't have time to think of who they were, because one of them was now screaming.

Nadia slowly turned and realized there was actual present danger. Bridgette wasn't coming back from under the bridge. Instead, something far worse was. Something that would make Nadia see the real terror of the game. Something that would force her to consider playing. Something that made her tighten her grip on the chair leg and hold it in front of her.

That something was, of course, Caedyn fucking Miller.
Pippi

Post by Pippi »

Bryony's heart sank as Nadia rifled off the people she'd met so far, realising that none of them were going to be people she was searching for. It wasn't as though the information was unhelpful; far from it, because it gave her a list of people to avoid at any cost, although she'd never really talked to Will before all of this anyway, and Jerry had always intimidated her with... everything he did. But she desperately wanted, no, needed to find Alba again, and from there, find Alice and Sandra and anyone else she cared about that had ended up on the trip.

She didn't have any grandiose plan. No ploy to remove their collars and to escape the island. She was surviving on her own; barely surviving, true, but keeping just your head above water stopped you from drowning. But the longer she went without finding them, the higher the chance the announcements would blare and their names would be called and all Bryony would have had would have been a distant memory, and she would slip underneath the waves again.

Bryony stayed quiet again, letting Bridgette carry on with the talking part of things. It was apparent, though, that Bridgette didn't have a clue about any facet of Alba; that would be up to Bryony to talk about. She was about to open her mouth and speak, when something caught Bridgette's attention. There was space under the bridge, apparently, and a path to reach it as well. Bryony's brow furrowed as Bridgette motioned to go and check it out. It might be handy to know the place was there, but it wasn't as though there was a lack of shelter across the rest of the island. More importantly; why would they need to bunker down under the bridge? It was raining, but it wasn't a typhoon. They'd already rested for the night. Resting wasn't finding her friends.

But before Bryony could say anything, both Bridgette and Nadia had had a brief discussion and Bridgette was already heading down under the bridge and Bryony was already feeling guilty and selfish for her previous thoughts. Bridgette was just going to check the place out, after all. She wasn't going to demand they fortify up there and wait to see who passed them by. If anything, the worst part about her plan was that it was unlikely there were any safety precautions under the bridge, and with the rain it was almost certainly even more slippery and dangerous...

"Be careful," Bryony blurted out at Bridgette, the other girl almost out of sight already. She waited until Bridgette had disappeared entirely, before turning back to Nadia.

"Um..."

A raindrop slid down Bryony's nose and splashed onto the ground. She pulled her hood up over her head, and the sound of the rain became muffled. It was a pleasant rainfall, the type of shower that you wouldn't mind walking through but would be even more calming and peaceful to sit at home and listen to. Bryony thought that if she closed her eyes, she could easily imagine she was doing just that. Tucked up warm in bed, DS in her hands with the volume turned low, listening to the muffled sound of the rain hitting the window and falling to the ground.

"Alba... um, Alba Reyes is the girl we're, um, looking for. She's a junior, I, um, think, she's got brown hair in a ponytail, and, um, she was wearing a green t-shirt..."

Maybe later, when she had found everyone again and they had found somewhere to rest the night, she could actually do that, minus the DS. But for now, there were much more important things to be putting her mind towards.

"Um... I'm also looking for, um-"

Someone was calling out her name. At least, that was what Bryony thought she had heard. She lowered her hood, moving to the side to get a better look at the figure in the rain.

Then she heard her name again, and she recognised the voice, and she started running towards Alice, because somehow, some miracle had caused them to find each other and Bryony just felt so lucky as her feet splashed through puddles, and she saw Sandra following behind Alice as well, and she didn't know what she'd done to deserve this stroke of fortune but she wasn't going to complain about it.

Then Alice pulled up short, and Bryony slowed to a jog.

Then Alice screamed, and Bryony started running again because something had turned this stroke of luck into fool's gold.

Bryony reached her two friends and stared down under the bridge, in the direction Alice was looking at. There were two bodies there, both coated in crimson, one of them standing, the other a crumpled, formless heap.

The standing one wasn't Bridgette.

"Bridgette?" Bryony called out, voice shaky and ethereal. Quiet, at first.

"Bridgette?"

Then devastatingly loud.
[+] V7
B006 - Stepney Cruz - DEAD - Dynasty decapitated, you just might see a ghost tonight - Mountain Bike - Localised - Catastrophe - Inferno
Pregame - Chill - Loss - Realm
Trip - Loved

G035 - Katie Agustien - DEAD - There's only two ways that these things can go, good or bad and how was I to know that all your friends won't hold any grudges, I got the final judgment - The World's Sharpest Knife™ - Dread - Skin - ieatnothing - Satisfaction - Tempest - Zero
Pregame - Vend-etta - Flames - Fleet - Monachopsis - Glitter
Trip - G҉ A҉ N҉ G҉

B028 - Aurelien Valter - DEAD - When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat, before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream - Spiked Mace, Glock 19, Min-Jae Parker's Crossbow - Nightmare - Bubbles - Neighbourhood - Tragedy - Make It - Fiend - Sleet - Love - Walls - Friends - Key - Everything - Gotta - Ghosts - Alone
Pregame - Shark - Heart
Prom - Link - Gradation - Ballare
Trip - Inferis - Scusare

B052 - Garren Mortimer - DEAD- Cut up and I can't feel my hands, no need to chase, can you relate, can you keep up the pace like you're dying for this? - Bryan Calvert's SPAS-12, Alligator tooth sword - Sky - Geek - Nation - No - Dilemma - Mauerbauertraurigkeit - Struck - Punishment - Énouement - Pain - Learn - lamb - Moves
Pregame - Rain
Trip - Life

Meanwhile
Lyra Doyle - Let's live tonight like fireflies, and one by one light up the sky - Pop!
Pregame - Evolution - Life - Lo Mein
Memories - Forward - Odds

Dean Puchero - By July you'd made a whole bunch of brand new friends, people you used to look down on, and you'd figured out a way to make real money - Phone - Angel
Pregame - Generation - Prince
Memories - Star
Prom - Sun - Luster
[+] The Past
V6
Bryony Adams - Burning bright until the end, now you'll be missing from the photographs
Astrid Tate - So what became of loving man, and what became of you?
Mia Rose - You can't understand that I won't leave 'til we're finished here, and then you'll find out where it all went wrong

V5
Owen Kay - I fold my tie and ribbon to hide my scars, that's how it starts
Amy Bachelor - Can you whisper, as it crumbles and breaks, as you shiver, count up all your mistakes
Francis St. Ledger - So a day when you've lost yourself completely could be a night when your life ends

V4
George Leidman (Adopted from Blastinus) - Now if we jump together at least we can swim far away from the wreck that we made
Beatrice - Jamie - Pippi - Tim - Ada - Tabby - Romeo - Lissa - Freddie - Trinity - Redd - Natalie - Kendra
[+] The Future
Boyd Adkinson - Ain't no surprise that I can't sleep tonight, my only vice is standing by your side
"bryony and alba would definitely join the terrorists quote me on this put this quote in signatures put it in history books" - Cicada Days, 2017
Emprexx Plush

Post by Emprexx Plush »

All the sudden they were everywhere. Caedyn had aimed to make this quick and quiet and it'd all gone to shit. Everyone had seen here, and there was no going back. She couldn't talk her way out of this, at least not with these people. If she could concentrate, she could at least diminish things, confuse them, find a way out.

Sandra started to move forward, and suddenly she didn't care. Her entire body was shaking and she wasn't thinking anymore. She'd killed Bridgette, and if any of these fucking vermin tried to so much as touch her, she'd kill them too. The broken bloody bottle came up and started waving in the air as she snarled. "Stay away!"

---------

The Cassowary is not a creature known for retreat. In its own territory, surrounded by its flock, there are few things that can make it give ground. Now, however, it is far from home. It has no flock, and even its mate is nowhere to be found. With careful, defensive steps and threatening swipes at the air, the Cassowary begins to recede. It departs from its kill and the angry herd around it slowly at first. Without warning it breaks into a dead sprint towards the buildings in the distance. There will be no more hunting for now. It must rest and return to its mate to reconcile the morning's events.

----------

Caedyn never looked back. They could be chasing, or screaming, or pointing guns, but she never looked back. It was hard enough to run on her feet as it was. She wasn't going to give them an advantage by trying to do too many things at once and ending up rolling over on her ass. So she stared forward and kept running. The only things on her mind were escape, and how to explain this to Jazzy.

((Caedyn Miller Continued In Hunter's Season))
[+] SotF Characters
[+] V5 Characters
ImageB062, Garrett Wilde
Your turn.
[+] V6 Characters

[+] V7 Characters
Espi

Post by Espi »

((GMing approved by Pippin)

The carnage that was one a classmate was intensely brutal. Alice listened to Caedyn's hysterical-sounding cries as she warded them off with the instrument of murder. All she could do was stare, wide-eyed and hands clenched into fists at her side. Out of anger or fear, she didn't know.

Then, Caedyn ran off in a dead sprint, and Alice, having no interest in pursuing the crazed girl, turned to Bryony and leapt forward, nearly knocking the other girl over in her attempt to embrace her.

"I'm so glad I found you..." Alice said, suddenly feeling overwhelmed with emotion. She hadn't realized, after waking up in the church three days ago, how hard it would be to not see Bryony. She'd been so worried; Bryony was, for all her wondrous traits, sometimes seemed to Alice like she was made of glass, a delicate porcelain doll in need of protection, security and friendship.

That was what Alice needed to do. Protect Bree as best she could.

Tears in her eyes, still holding Bryony close, Alice smiled sadly at her friend. "Let's go somewhere safer, then we can talk. Does that sound okay?"
CondorTalon

Post by CondorTalon »

"Get back!" Sandra cried to Bryony, as she saw her approach them. The last thing she needed was for Bryony to get close to... that thing under the bridge. She continued to stare at Caedyn, until she turned tail and ran away.

Sandra felt her legs weaken, and she slumped to the ground, all the tension leaving her body. She breathed a sigh of relief, and watched as Alice went to hug Bryony. Sandra would let them have their moment.

Alice said something about moving somewhere else, and Sandra nodded.

"That sounds like a good idea," Sandra chimed in.

She scanned the area then, possibly for the sake of vigilance. She saw someone else standing close by.

"What about them?" Sandra followed up.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Nadia didn't want to believe it. She really didn't want to feel as surprised as she did then, but she was. Her mouth fell slightly open as she tightened the grip on the chair leg held out before her. Bridgette was just murdered, but that wasn't what was as surprising as the other variable. No, that's what really got Nadia.

Caedyn Miller actually killed someone. Caedyn "Fucking" Miller. She had moved up from the high school level of awful human beings to the electric chair level. Nadia should have been surprised that someone with as odious a personality as Caedyn would kill in this game- hell, she had figured it was likely back on the first day- but to see the bitch actually take the step into the role as killer was almost absurd.

Fortunately for her, Caedyn wasn't too far gone, and knew to run away instead of attempting to kill four people with just a broken bottle. Granted, Nadia was sure she could take her, but that would probably get one of the other girls here killed, and Nadia wasn't sure she wanted that on her conscience.

Nadia merely stared off in the direction Caedyn went as the other girls talked. It looked like Bryony had found a friend, and the other three were talking of helping one another. One of them asked about "them," referring to Nadia. Nadia didn't even look at the girl. She knew there was more to do right now than talk about alliances. She needed to think about her continued survival. There wasn't much to gain being in a large group, and Nadia had to think of what would help her in the long run. Going after Caedyn wouldn't help, and neither would surrounding herself with people she wasn't too familiar with. That's when she turned back to Bridgette.

Nadia quickly hurried over to where Bridgette's corpse lay. Caedyn had left Bridgette's bag here. She moved over to the bag and pulled it free from Bridgette's body. Keeping the chair leg in one hand, she opened the bag and started rifling through it. Out popped a bottle of water, a tin of crackers, and two energy bars. There was also a toothbrush and tube of toothpaste, which Nadia sorely needed after four days here.

"The rest is yours," she said to no one in particular.

She pushed Bridgette's bag in the direction of the other three. She started to transfer the items into her own bag. Food and water wasn't as useful as a good weapon, but it would at least prevent her from keeling over from dehydration or starvation. It wasn't like Bridgette was going to miss those items, and at the very least, some clear-headed people should get to use them while they still could.

"You may not be keen on me doing this," Nadia said to the group.

Nadia zipped up her bag and swung it over her shoulders. She turned to the other girls.

"But in case it wasn't clear, some people are determined to survive at any cost, so some compromises will have to be made."

Nadia gave a short wave.

"Best of luck to you guys."

Nadia then took off in the direction opposite of the way Caedyn left. Nadia wasn't sure where she was heading but she knew staying there or going after Caedyn weren't the best options. She didn't know if she could trust those girls, and Nadia couldn't guarantee she could actually beat Caedyn. No, if Nadia was going to survive, she's have to think objectively and know when to do the thing that may not be morally white.

At least, to a certain extent. Even Nadia had to know where lines had to be drawn.

((Nadia Riva continued in Lay My Purple On the Grass))
Pippi

Post by Pippi »

A single nod.

That was all Bryony could physically muster right now. She had almost been bowled over when Alice had leapt forwards to embrace her, and for a moment, she had just stood there, frozen and numb, still staring down below the bridge, the image of the scene in front of her stuck front and centre in her mind. But then, slowly, she wrapped her arms around her best friend, some element of safety returning to her.

She gave her nod. She sniffed.

Then she pulled herself close to Alice, squeezing her tight, and burying her face into her shoulder. She could feel her glasses pushed up her face, her tears soaking into Alice's clothes. She knew there was nothing left for her or Alice or Sandra here, she knew the only sensible thing to do would be to move on. But she just wanted to stay like this forever, wrapped up in Alice's arms, safe and hidden away from everything that was happening around her.

Nadia left at some point. Bryony heard her muffled statements and desperately, desperately wanted to hate her. Tactically, it made sense, she knew that. It would be a waste of supplies otherwise. It was smart. But it was so, so callous and uncaring. Bridgette had died mere minutes ago, and Nadia was disrespectful enough to steal her stuff. Maybe it didn't help that it all felt so... familiar. Someone stealing a dead girl's belongings. How very close she had come to being that girl as well.

But she couldn't feel hatred. Not just yet. She couldn't feel anything yet.

She could feel the water lapping around her ankles, the waves soaking into her skin, threatening to pull her under.

Slowly, Bryony moved away from Alice. She rubbed her eyes, and fresh tears sprung up as soon as she moved her hands away. She couldn't look at Bridgette. She felt like she should. She felt like it would be disrespectful not to take one last look at her. But she just couldn't do it. She couldn't find it in herself to do it. Did that make her an awful person?

The answer was almost certainly 'no'. Deep down, she did know that. It was so, so hard to actually convince herself of that, though.

"We... we, um, should go..." Bryony mumbled, voice barely above a whisper.

She looked at Alice, then looked at Sandra. Her two best friends. The two people she wanted to see more than anything else in the world. The faintest hint of a smile drifted onto her face.

"I'm... I'm so happy... I'm so happy I found you again..."

((Bryony Adams continued in A Moth of Peace))
[+] V7
B006 - Stepney Cruz - DEAD - Dynasty decapitated, you just might see a ghost tonight - Mountain Bike - Localised - Catastrophe - Inferno
Pregame - Chill - Loss - Realm
Trip - Loved

G035 - Katie Agustien - DEAD - There's only two ways that these things can go, good or bad and how was I to know that all your friends won't hold any grudges, I got the final judgment - The World's Sharpest Knife™ - Dread - Skin - ieatnothing - Satisfaction - Tempest - Zero
Pregame - Vend-etta - Flames - Fleet - Monachopsis - Glitter
Trip - G҉ A҉ N҉ G҉

B028 - Aurelien Valter - DEAD - When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat, before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream - Spiked Mace, Glock 19, Min-Jae Parker's Crossbow - Nightmare - Bubbles - Neighbourhood - Tragedy - Make It - Fiend - Sleet - Love - Walls - Friends - Key - Everything - Gotta - Ghosts - Alone
Pregame - Shark - Heart
Prom - Link - Gradation - Ballare
Trip - Inferis - Scusare

B052 - Garren Mortimer - DEAD- Cut up and I can't feel my hands, no need to chase, can you relate, can you keep up the pace like you're dying for this? - Bryan Calvert's SPAS-12, Alligator tooth sword - Sky - Geek - Nation - No - Dilemma - Mauerbauertraurigkeit - Struck - Punishment - Énouement - Pain - Learn - lamb - Moves
Pregame - Rain
Trip - Life

Meanwhile
Lyra Doyle - Let's live tonight like fireflies, and one by one light up the sky - Pop!
Pregame - Evolution - Life - Lo Mein
Memories - Forward - Odds

Dean Puchero - By July you'd made a whole bunch of brand new friends, people you used to look down on, and you'd figured out a way to make real money - Phone - Angel
Pregame - Generation - Prince
Memories - Star
Prom - Sun - Luster
[+] The Past
V6
Bryony Adams - Burning bright until the end, now you'll be missing from the photographs
Astrid Tate - So what became of loving man, and what became of you?
Mia Rose - You can't understand that I won't leave 'til we're finished here, and then you'll find out where it all went wrong

V5
Owen Kay - I fold my tie and ribbon to hide my scars, that's how it starts
Amy Bachelor - Can you whisper, as it crumbles and breaks, as you shiver, count up all your mistakes
Francis St. Ledger - So a day when you've lost yourself completely could be a night when your life ends

V4
George Leidman (Adopted from Blastinus) - Now if we jump together at least we can swim far away from the wreck that we made
Beatrice - Jamie - Pippi - Tim - Ada - Tabby - Romeo - Lissa - Freddie - Trinity - Redd - Natalie - Kendra
[+] The Future
Boyd Adkinson - Ain't no surprise that I can't sleep tonight, my only vice is standing by your side
"bryony and alba would definitely join the terrorists quote me on this put this quote in signatures put it in history books" - Cicada Days, 2017
Espi

Post by Espi »

As much as Alice hated to admit it, she couldn't deny Nadia's logic. Survival was a perfectly sensible goal, as long as you weren't murdering for it. It was crass, of course, but looting was sometimes a necessary means.

Poor Bridgette, though. She had gone out in such a dreadful way.

Alice smiled at Bryony. She wouldn't let anything happen to hurt her, no matter what.

"Yeah, I'm glad too."

((Alice Baker continued in A Moth of Peace))
CondorTalon

Post by CondorTalon »

Sandra watched as Nadia took supplies from the recently deceased girl's bag before pushing the bag in their direction and running off. She bit her lip, but she had to concede that Nadia had a point. There wasn't room to argue about disrespect for the dead, here. Not when they could easily be next. Not when people were already doing much worse things.

Oh, look. Sandra was already resorting to relatives. But then again, she'd been toying with unpleasant ideas when she'd woken up, hadn't she?

And all at once, that sinking feeling came back. She gulped, before standing up again. Bryony and Alice were finished with their tearful reunion, and were moving to leave.

"Yeah... give me a second," Sandra said, looking back at Bridgette's corpse, "I'll be right with you."

She moved over, and looked through Bridgette's bag. Nadia was right. Compromises would have to be made.

Sandra took the rest of the contents of Bridgette's bag, stuffing them into her own, before moving to catch up to Bryony and Alice.

((Sandra Dyer continued in A Moth of Peace.))

Return to “The Connecting Bridge”