Why We Fight

The storehouse is used for storing everything that wasn't required on-site at the asylum or the staff living area. The building is essentially a large warehouse filled with crates full of non-perishable food in case of a late shipment or storm. Sitting outside the front of the storehouse on four flat, deflated tires is a broken down and rusted truck originally used to ferry larger quantities of supplies to the asylum and staff quarters. At the entrance to the storehouse is a guide map to allow staff members to find exactly what items they want from the rows of stacked crates. As a large concrete building the storehouse has been generally untouched by any flora, although numerous rats and insects have made the building their home, with many spider webs and rat droppings covering the area. There is also a relatively large hornet nest located in the corner of a room that could have been an office.
ViolentMedic

Post by ViolentMedic »

Clarice heard movement, and turned her head to see Jennifer approaching the gun on the ground. Not picking it up, not quite, but... close enough to make Clarice nervous, enough to make her see Conrad picking up Harold's sword.

"We don't need to be like that!" Clarice snapped. "We're all gonna be fucking civilized, alright? All of us!"

At Kimiko's signs, Clarice had to stop. She looked at Kimiko, then looked away. Gnawing on the inside of her cheek as she considered it. She might have stopped to consider it longer, but then Kizi moved out from cover to offer Kimiko a tissue.

"Wait," Clarice muttered.

She reached out a little to stop Kizi from moving forward. Then she turned all her attention on Kimiko.

"Look... Kimiko..." Clarice trailed off a moment before taking a deep breath. "Look, I... I appreciate that. That you wanted to help me, that's... yeah. I mean, I'm thankful. Thankful as I can be in these circumstances, anyway."

Maybe it meant that, despite what Kimiko had done, there was still something left of her old friend in there. But then there was the fact of... well, what she'd done.

"But... being angry? Being scared? Fuck, that doesn't excuse anything. I've been angry and scared since I woke up, and I haven't stabbed anyone. Jesus, I know Bradley was an irritating shitstain, but..."

Clarice glanced at Kizi, then at the tissue she was holding in her hand. Clarice lightly tugged the tissue out of Kizi's hand before taking a step forward. She made a motion for Kizi and the others to stay back.

"There's three multi-killers on this island. And I haven't had good run-ins with the other two. So I can't just... blind trust has already lost me too much."

Another step forward, as cautious as if she was approaching a wild animal. Clarice held out the tissue to Kimiko with her good hand.

"But you know what? We're going to be fucking civil. And even if I don't trust you, I'm not gonna hurt you. Because that's what those jackasses want, and I'm not playing their fucking game. Alright?"
Aura

Post by Aura »

Once things quieted down from everyone's initial shock, Bart was pretty sure that he had a decent idea of what was going on.  Kimiko was signing something to them.  That's what he was assuming, anyway.  He didn't know very much sign language outside of maybe a basic phrase or two, but considering how she was making a long series of gestures in absence of speaking or, well, doing anything else in this scenario, he thought that it was a fair assumption.  When Clarice responded to her with what seemed to be answers to questions that he hadn't heard, that all but confirmed his theory.

But whether or not he completely understood every little detail of what was going on here, Clarice seemed to be trying to play peacemaker, and he didn't want to do anything that could potentially mess that up.  He just stood by and listened, trying to keep track of everything that was said in order to formulate the best way to keep things from boiling over anytime in the near future.  Would it work?  He honestly couldn't say.  That wasn't going to stop him from giving it his best shot, though.

Once there was a lull in the dialogue, he saw an opportunity to try to expand upon the peaceful exchange.  Sure, there was no guarantee that he would actually make things any better, but he had enough confidence to believe that he couldn't make things worse.  He looked at Kimiko and spoke what had been brewing in his mind.

"Hey, uh... I'm still not totally sure about what's going on..."  His words came out without stumbling over themselves, but his inability to remove the nervous pauses in his speech continued to haunt him.  "But I don't want to fight.  Not you, or anyone.  That's, uh... not really something I do."
KamiKaze

Post by KamiKaze »

Kimiko had responded by going into a flurry of hand motions. Sign language? Made sense. She was unable to speak, after all. However, Jennifer had no idea what she was trying to say. But the look on her face looked nervous, as if she feared them.

Jennifer felt her mouth twitch. "Dealing with this civilly," Clarice? That would be a fair way to deal with things, but the part where Kimiko was kind of a known murderer made that more than a little difficult. It didn't help that Kiziah stepped forward and offered her help. No no no, what was she doing? Again, Kimiko, murderer. That was an important detail, was she the only one who remembered? Well, probably not, but the point remained.

But Clarice seemed to respond to her signing. Judging by what she said, Kimiko was "scared" and "angry." Was she talking about Bradley? Clarice mentioned him, at least. He came up on the announcements too, didn't he? Okay, so maybe she was explaining what happened there. Bradley was a jerk, so did he provoke her somehow? Well... Bradley wasn't known for his political correctness. Was Kimiko in some way a victim of circumstance? But that wouldn't explain the other time, would it? Cristo. That was who she killed last time. It was a little more difficult to handwave away, unless it turned out something else happened.

Bart chipped in, saying he didn't want to fight. Jennifer looked at Kiziah's gun, still resting at their feet. She let out a deep sigh. However, she raised her hands, keeping her palms flat.

"I don't want to fight either," she said.

It was true. She didn't. No one asked to be here. However, Kimiko was still a threat. It seemed like Clarice and possibly Kiziah were friends with her, though. Maybe the diplomatic approach would work? It'd better work.

Halwood, you better know what you're doing.
Deamon

Post by Deamon »

Distrust. That was what she could expect now. One of her best friends didn't even trust her. That made Kimiko want to leave then and there, she wasn't even sure if Clarice realised how much what she said hurt. Instead she just took the tissue and nodded, wiping at Caleb's blood that was coating the lower half of her face. The other two, Bart and Jennifer just said how they didn't want to fight. It suited Kimiko, she had no intention of hurting any of them unless they tried to attack her.

It did worry her that Clarice had come into contact with Isabel and Nancy. Of the three of them Kimiko considered herself the most sane, and she cared about Clarice and didn't want her to get hurt. Of course her opinion of the three of them was based on what the announcements said however and she didn't know how trustworthy they were beyond giving the names of those that had died and their killers. Eventually Kimiko gave up trying to get all the blood, she was sure there would still be blood on her neck but she didn't want to spend anymore time trying to get it all.

She looked down and sighed, thinking about what Clarice had said and remembering Caleb's words back in the cabin, his smile and kiss. She looked at the tissue that was stained red with his blood and then to Kizi and finally Clarice; who didn't trust her anymore but still stood talking to her.

Kimiko had promised herself she would be smart and wouldn't do anything stupid. Nothing that could endanger her chances of reaching the end of the game and making sure Caleb's sacrifice wasn't in vain. But she felt something tugging at her and she knew deep down that the chances of her seeing Clarice again were nearly zero. She wanted to hug her but the gun and the others played on her mind, she didn't know how they would react.

But then, given the circumstances what did it matter?

Kimiko stepped forward and pulled Clarice into a hug.
V8
Aracelis Fuentes
California “Cali” Fox
Darryl Smith Jr.
Jessica Romero
Roberta “Robbie” Woodvine
[+] V7
G047 - Aliya Kimia Nemati - Blowgun w/ 10 Poison Darts - you're nobody till somebody kills you - "I just wanted to talk." - DEAD
G001 - Arizona Butler - Camping Stove - Dead Bxdies in the Lake Part II - ""We got there eventually." - DEAD
B046 - Bret Carter - Weighted Net - Swerve - "I'll just be on my way and we can all continue with our evenings." - DEAD
G022 - Forrest Quin - Ball-gag and handcuffs - DRUGS SAV3D MY LIF3 - "Abe-" - DEAD
General Goose

Post by General Goose »

Okay.

This was good. Maybe Kizi was missing something, but this was good. There seemed to be understanding. Coarsely expressed, aye, but understanding. And honesty. Honesty that was well-taken. That was definitely good. Kizi couldn't see how there could be a debate around that.

Sure, the swearing wasn't optimal. The concern was not out of a disdain for profanity, no, but in Kizi's experience, expletives and high emotions had a kind of circular relationship. Self-fuelling. One led to the other, which led to more of the other, which led to more of the other. And here, high emotions had even higher stakes than normal. But hey, that was how Clarice was. It wasn't portending anything ominous, or radically disruptive in Clarice's thinking. And Kimiko would know that.

So even that point was moot. Which was good!

She turned to Jenn and Bart, and offered the two a reassuring smile. Things'd be okay. For now, at least. Even the island's killers weren't complete monsters.
ViolentMedic

Post by ViolentMedic »

No-one made it worse. No-one opposed staying civil. Clarice was glad for that small mercy. She didn't know either Bart or Jennifer well enough to know if they were the type to stay reasonable, but it looked like Kizi had picked the people she traveled with well.

Kimiko took the tissue. Wiped her face. Then suddenly moved forward and hugged her.

If Kimiko had been just a tiny bit slower about it, Clarice might have punched her on reflex. As it was, her hands were partway up when she realised what the intent was. Even then, for one chilling moment, Clarice expected Kimiko to stick something sharp into her gut or back. If ever there was a time, it would be now. Clarice shut her eyes tight for a moment. Waiting.

Nothing happened. No stabbing. It was just a hug, same as Kizi.

This time Clarice didn't cry. She awkwardly patted Kimiko on the back. Still wary, still uncomfortable. After a few seconds she stepped out of the hug. She did offer Kimiko a tentative, awkward half-smile that didn't quite reach her eyes.

"Uh. Sooooo..."

Clarice shifted awkwardly before looking around at everyone. She swung her good arm awkwardly. It brushed the air freshener can sticking out of her belt. Clarice looked down at it with a frown before resting her hand on it.

"So. What now?"

Clarice knew what she wanted to do. But she didn't know what they wanted. Or what sorts of danger they'd be willing to get into.
Deamon

Post by Deamon »

((Breaking post order because inactivity dodging))

Clarice didn't return the hug. Kimiko expected as much but it cut her deeper than anything blade could have. Clarice didn't want her there and didn't trust her. Kimiko's arms fell limply to her sides. She was stupid to
think that just because they were friends it meant Clarice would be able to work past that. She should never have stepped out of her hiding spot.

Running her eyes over Kizi, Bart and Jennifer Kimiko took stock of her options. Using the word options was too hopeful, she only had one option. She had to leave. Her presence would only make things worse for Clarice in the long run and she couldn't and wouldn't put her friend through it. It was clear that while Kizi trusted her, Bart and especially Jennifer did not, Jennifer an aggressive amount. Kimiko didn't see any way her staying with the group would be sustainable in the long run.

She also didn't want what had happened with Caleb to happen with Clarice.

When Clarice asked the question of what came next Kimiko already knew her answer.

"I can't stay here." Her hands started to shake but she fought it back and kept them steady. "I'll leave you in peace."

Kimiko slowly stepped back away from the group, making sure to not turn her back or take her eyes off any of them. Once she was happy she was a safe distance away Kimiko turned and started to run, only to stop and turn around.

"Be safe Clarice."

She meant it with all her heart.

((Kimiko Kao continued elsewhere...))
V8
Aracelis Fuentes
California “Cali” Fox
Darryl Smith Jr.
Jessica Romero
Roberta “Robbie” Woodvine
[+] V7
G047 - Aliya Kimia Nemati - Blowgun w/ 10 Poison Darts - you're nobody till somebody kills you - "I just wanted to talk." - DEAD
G001 - Arizona Butler - Camping Stove - Dead Bxdies in the Lake Part II - ""We got there eventually." - DEAD
B046 - Bret Carter - Weighted Net - Swerve - "I'll just be on my way and we can all continue with our evenings." - DEAD
G022 - Forrest Quin - Ball-gag and handcuffs - DRUGS SAV3D MY LIF3 - "Abe-" - DEAD
KamiKaze

Post by KamiKaze »

((Skipping too. Sorry Aura.))

Kiziah had given them a reassuring smile. Even then, Jennifer still wasn't sure. Kimiko was still dangerous, wasn't she? But she'd hugged Clarice, as if she really needed it. Yet, Clarice's body language seemed uncomfortable. Maybe she wasn't sure too. Maybe she was just as tense as Jennifer was. To be frank, "tense" here meant that she was prepared to do anything. Run, fight, hide, something.

She didn't want to die here. Some part of her told her that escape was possible, that people have lived through this before, that the terrorists wouldn't get away with it. That Kimiko wasn't dangerous, at least not right now. But that didn't change the fact that even if she was friends with Kiziah and Clarice, she was a killer. She could do it again if she wanted to.

But as Kimiko pulled away, she noticed that she seemed to have an odd look on her face. It was almost as if she'd realized something. Jennifer saw her hands move again, spelling out words she could never personally understand, not without translation. But then, Kimiko started stepping away. She'd turned to give them one last message, but afterwards she broke into a run.

She was gone as quickly as she'd came.

Jennifer slowly lowered her arms, expelling a breath she didn't realize was there. Kimiko's departure was a good thing, in a sense. It meant that a threat was pretty much... well, neutralized. On the other, she seemed like she didn't want to fight. If Jennifer had to guess, some of the bits she got seemed to point towards Kimiko getting into those kinds of incidents by circumstance, rather than something she went out of her way to do.

For a moment, Jennifer was unsure about what to do. Maybe Clarice needed to hear something, but she wasn't sure what.

"Hey..."

She stepped forward, only to feel a weight against her foot. Jennifer looked down. The gun was still there, still waiting to be used. She knelt, and gingerly picked it up. Dealing with emotions was good. But pragmatism came first. Keeping it pointed towards the ground and away from anyone, she instead approached Kiziah.

"This is yours," she said, handing the gun in her direction. "Treat it like... your child, I guess."

Did that analogy even work? You were supposed to watch small children, yes. Watching firearms, especially in a "game" like this, was good. But no one really used an infant to kill other people. No one tell the terrorists that, though, or it'd give them ideas.

Jennifer shot another look at Clarice, then towards the direction Kimiko left, and back. Once again, she was unsure about what to say to her, since Kimiko was a friend of hers and Kiziah's. This whole thing made her confused.
General Goose

Post by General Goose »

Kiziah remained by Clarice, watching the largely silent interaction play out, knowing she had nothing to say, nothing to add. This was their moment, really. It wasn't her place to puncture it, to force her own musings clumsily into the conversation. But that didn't mean Kizi didn't have thoughts about the whole situation. She stood behind Clarice, and moved to place her hand on her shoulder as a sign of comfort. She withdrew at the last second, not wanting to startle her.

She walked to her side, so Clarice could see Kizi reach out and place a consoling hand on her upper arm. "Do you...maybe want to go after her?" Kizi asked, quietly, not really caring if Jenn and Bart heard or not. She just wanted Clarice to know that, if that was the option she decided to go for, she'd have Kizi's support.

And then Jennifer handed her her gun.

"Uh...thanks." It was politeness, but from the way she held it, holding it gawkily and gracelessly by the barrel and making sure the muzzle was aimed squarely at the ground, it was clear she'd rather not have to hold it. "I mean, I won't be able to use it when push comes to shove." She knew she sounded weak saying that, but she didn't care. It took strength to admit your flaws. Correctly handle the words of truth, that was her motto. She owed these people her integrity, and that was in admitting that, even if someone attacked them...

Hell, they were probably just like them. Just like Kimiko. Scared. Helpless. Wasn't a psychopath, wasn't a monster, was just lost and confused and trying to do what was best and trying to make sense of everything. But if she saw them committing an atrocity, saw them committing some abysmal sin, then that faith would be challenged. And she'd have two conflicting things to believe, and even if she did somehow have the mental fortitude and physical strength to actually kill someone...

Kizi found the piece of metal in her hand (she was guessing it was metal, she couldn't know for certain. And that doubt would paralyse her. She knew that. She would explain that if asked, but she prayed that they wouldn't. Prayed that they would work out the hint.

"But can you not...use the 'child' metaphor?" Kizi did not even want to think about why that disconcerted her so.
ViolentMedic

Post by ViolentMedic »

Clarice didn't say anything as Kimiko started to back away, although her mind was yelling a hundred different things at once. Yes. No. Stay, you'll be safe with us. Go, we don't want a murderer with us. Stay. Go.

But it wasn't really her choice. What could she do if Kimiko wanted to leave? Trap her? Tie her up to make her stay? What good would that do anyone? And then Clarice would need to spend all her time keeping a watch on Kimiko, until someone else ended them both.

The fact was, there was more than her and Kimiko on this island. And Kimiko had thrown herself into this game. She'd made her choice, and doomed herself in the process. And Clarice couldn't fully hate her for it (not like Ty, why couldn't she forgive Ty? Why couldn't she forgive Conrad?) but this was just how things were.

Kimiko told her 'be safe.'

"You know I can't do that." She wasn't even sure if Kimiko heard her.

Kizi asked 'do you want to go after her?'

"I don't know if I want to. But I can't."

Clarice turned back, away from Kimiko vanishing in the distance, to see Jennifer holding the gun. There was one moment of overwhelming fear. A rush of thought, an urge to tackle Jennifer before she could do anything with it. But then it vanished as suddenly as it appeared. Jennifer gave the gun back to Kizi, proving herself much better than Conrad had been. Clarice looked away and let out a long breath.

Her eye caught the camera, and the words caught in her throat. Talk of escape. If she talked of escape, she'd never live long enough to manage it. But she couldn't... not talk about it.

"I need to leave," Clarice said abruptly.

She looked at the others. At Kizi. At Bart and Jennifer, better-chosen traveling companions than Clarice had picked.

"Whether... whether any of you follow me, that's up to you. But don't expect safety if you do. It will be dangerous. And it probably won't end well."

Clarice turned away from them, away from the camera as well, and left. Not sure where she was going, but listening for footsteps behind her.

Her hand was still on her belt, one finger tracing the lid of her air freshener can. It almost felt like her mind was itching.

((Clarice Halwood continued in If It Bleeds, It Leads.))
Aura

Post by Aura »

Tensions were feeling pretty high, and Bart didn't know what he should do or how he should do it, so he took the course of action that he always did whenever he felt this way: He stayed silent and hoped that things would play themselves out.

Surprisingly, things seemed to defuse themselves pretty quickly. Kimiko and Clarice both left peacefully, and everything might as well have been back to normal, with his trio in front of the storehouse that they had planned to hole up in for the next day.

Everything wasn't back to normal, though. They had just had a very close interaction with a multiple murderer, one who made no attempt to harm them in any way, then went on with their business. That was the kind of thing that stuck with a person. At the very least, it was still lodged in the forefront of his mind, and he assumed that Kizi and Jennifer were still thinking pretty hard about it too.

Bart's heart was still racing, and he was admittedly zoning out a bit after recent events. Right now he just wanted some time to sit down and get his thoughts back in order. He turned to Kizi and Jennifer and raised his hand, trying to get their attention.

"Hey, uh... do you guys still want to head inside?" He pointed to the storehouse door. "I think the coast is probably clear now."
KamiKaze

Post by KamiKaze »

"Sorry, it's just..."

Jennifer bit her lip. Then:

"I was scared that someone could pick it up, and... use it. On us. It was just sitting there, and I wasn't sure if Kimiko would even try."

Jennifer looked around her. Bart was always terrified, but now? He looked even more unsure, worried. Clarice had a temper, and even if she and Kiziah were friends with Kimiko, how long do friendships last here? For a moment, Jennifer pictured Blake. Her best friend, her ex. He was a good person, and he wouldn't hurt a fly. She knew he wasn't here, though. She was almost certain he wasn't here. They had different classes. But, even if he was... what would he do? Probably keep the peace a bit better. He might know how to deal with someone like Kimiko, better than she could.

But no matter what, she was glad he wasn't here. That he wasn't suffering, or that he had to make moral decisions.

Even then, though, she had no idea what Kiziah and Clarice were feeling right now.

Clarice had torn herself away from the group, saying that she was going to look out for Kimiko. It wasn't safe. Kimiko, even if she hadn't hurt them, was still a murderer.

Jennifer watched Clarice's back as it slowly withdrew away. Bart spoke up, asking if they could look around. That was the point of this venture, wasn't it? Find paper, find proper clothes, find anything else they needed. Looking for supplies, that was the entire reason they'd come here to begin with. And yet, Jennifer had to give another look at the storehouse. It was positively full of things that could be useful. But, she had to decide.

She slowly turned towards the direction Clarice went. Each step ached and rubbed against forming blisters, but she gritted her teeth through it.

Jennifer had to say it.

"Want to follow her?"

((Jennifer Wallace continued in If It Bleeds, It Leads))
General Goose

Post by General Goose »

Kizi knew Clarice. She was a friend. A long-time friend. Someone dependable, trustworthy. Not that Jennifer and Bart weren't, but...she knew Clarice better. Was it bad to admit that? She was pretty sure it wasn't. Sure it wasn't too offensive an admission. No surprises with her. She'd always have passion and a sense of justice and a latent fury that Kizi would never have, and they were reassuring. A reminder of home, and maybe traits that could save her life at one point.

She couldn't throw that away.

She looked at Jennifer and Bart. Hoped they'd come along too.

But by the time Jennifer asked if they wanted to follow Clarice, Kizi was already in a ungainly sprint, shotgun held awkwardly, bag hanging gracelessly off her shoulder. "Gotta...follow...come..." was all she could get out, legibly, in between harried and already exhausted breaths.

((Kiziah Saraki continued in If It Bleeds, It Leads.))
Aura

Post by Aura »

The girls headed out after Clarice, leaving the initial plan to stick around the storehouse a bust. Unwilling to be left alone on the island, Bart elected to follow them.

But first, he needed a little pick-me-up. He took a bottle of water out of his bag and drank about a quarter of it. Wiping the excess liquid from around his mouth, he turned around to see Jennifer and Kizi growing smaller as they headed down the path. He panicked and shoved the bottle back into his bag, trying to zip it up as he ran after them.

"Hey, wait for me!"

((Bart Cappotelli continued elsewhere...))

Return to “The Storehouse”