Just a dream, nothing but a dream

Not just a dream.

Things that happen in the past oftentimes affect the way people behave in the future. Your V3 characters, like most people, have a past, and most of them have special memories from another time. Some are good, some are bad, but in some way, they've influenced your character. Within this forum, you'll be able to write out those special events to further develop your character before V3 begins!
Shula†

Just a dream, nothing but a dream

Post by Shula† »

Elizabeth threw her books into her messenger bag and began to run down the hallway. She couldn't be late, not again! She skidded around a corner and hit the door at a run; thankfully it opened for her as she did. She sprinted across the school parking lot and up the short hill to the library. She searched frantically for the blue Nissan, nearly gasping for breath by then. There! She slowed her pace to a fast walk, hoping to regain her breath doing so, besides, she didn't want him to know she'd almost been late again.

"Elizabeth," he said from under a tree, looking like he had all the time in the world.
"I-I'm sorry, I didn't see you there. I thought you were in the car. I didn't mean to jump. I'm sorry. I-"
"Stop it."
"Sorry. Yes."
"Why are you so nervous all the time? Are you seeing someone else? You know I wouldn't like that."
"NO! N-no. I I-I wouldn't! Y-y-you have to believe me! I wouldn't!"
He walked up to her, appearing calm, but she knew that didn't really mean anything; but then he smiled that smile. He put a finger to her lips. "Shh. I believe you this time because I love you. You know I'm the only one who will ever love you, and so why would you try to find someone else? You do know that, right?"
"Yes."
"Good girl. Now get in the car."

It was true, too. Nobody else cared about her—not her friends, if she could call them that, and certainly not her parents. She knew what kind of relationship she was in; she knew she was now one of those girls. Did anyone else even suspect a thing? Did anybody else ever wonder how she got the bruises on her arms? Did anyone wonder where she went after school so often? Did they know and just not care? That had to be it; everything was just too obvious.

He drove them to the same place he always did: the parking lot behind the bowling alley. Nobody ever went back there. Nobody ever needed to. She asked him one time why they never went to his place. He'd slapped her and said she was being stupid. Besides, not knowing added to the mystery of him, didn't it? He was right, why did she need to know where he lived anyway? She had been being stupid that day.

She moved to get out of the car.
"Where do you think you're going? You were late. Make up for it." Elizabeth couldn't stop the whimper. She hated doing it. It was disgusting and it made her gag (not to mention the stick shift always poked her painfully in the stomach). But he was right, she had been late, and she deserved it. She looked over and saw that at least she wouldn't have to do any...preliminary work. She looked up at him pleadingly; maybe he'd let her make up for her tardiness some other way? No, he only looked back at her with malicious glee.
"What are you waiting for?"

Elizabeth shot up like a bolt in bed and looked at the clock. 3:26 am. Another dream, another nightmare, another memory. He'd been gone long enough, why wouldn't he just leave? She ran a hand through her hair. Because he was right—because he'd been the only one to ever come close to loving her, and he was the only one who ever would, and that's why he haunted her at night in her dreams even now.

Lying back down, she pulled the light blanket up around her and reached over to the nightstand to hit the sleep button on her clock-radio. The voice on the radio wasn't a song, just somebody talking, but it put her back to sleep anyway. She had to get up in a few hours to survive another day.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Shula. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.

Return to “Memories from the Past (V3)”