Hello, Goodbye, Twas Nice To Know You

Open.

Situated at the northernmost point of the island stands the lighthouse. The large white monument stands tall and proud and offers one of the better views of the island, topped only by the peak clearing. The first floor is dedicated to the sea museum, while the second is host to a living area comprised of three beds and end tables, a kitchen with a large dining table, and a small bathroom. The higher floors contain several seats of stairs leading up to very top of the lighthouse. While a key is needed in order to reach the beacon, the circular balcony surrounding it is accessible. Outside is a small maintenance shed with the essential tools to run a lighthouse.
Grim Wolf

Hello, Goodbye, Twas Nice To Know You

Post by Grim Wolf »

(Tyler Lucas continued from Thin RED Line)

So here stands Tyler Lucas, gazing out at golden sunlight peeping through the pall of stormy clouds that cover the sky.  His eyes are fixed on that eastern horizon, even as the wind blows and howls.  His face is swathed in bandages, and still faintly sticky with blood.  The SMG he picked up is in his pack, safe from the rain.

Just stands there, watching the horizon.  There's no smile on his face now.  And the rain's coming down hard, sticking his hair to his scalp and streaking his stubbly face.  His eyes are just a little scrunched as he leans on that railing, staring out into that distant sky.
Those Whose Time Has Come]

Terra Johnson (female student no. 73, DECEASED): Oh...duh...Abel's...dead...the one who...lives is...

Tom Swift (male student no. 60): It didn't matter what he wanted anymore.

Daria Bhatia (female student no. 56): "I pity you, and everyone who knows you. Because if you can live with this, I don't...I don't think you're human anymore.”

[+] Those Who Have Gone Before
[/url]

V6

Alex Tarquin (male student no. 32: "No more...masks..."

Tara Behzad (female student no. 12): "They don't get to decide how I die."

Lizzie Luz: "I don't want to go."

V5

Tyler Lucas: "I had fun. You?"

Karen Idel: Game over.

Xavier Contel: "G-gotta...trust people, Arthur. G-g-gotta try. C-can't be afraid."

v4

Naoko Raidon (male student no. 54): Dying like...this isn't...so...bad...

Mirabelle Nesa: "I'm a weak little girl who couldn't save anyone, even myself, but god damn it I beat you and god damn it you are going to remember that because I am Mirabelle Nesa and I am a hardened goddamn warrior and I am not going to fucking give up now!"

Simon Grey: "I never was a hero, but, God help me, I tried."

David Meramac: "Running towards nothing. Running from nothing."
dmboogie

Post by dmboogie »

((Alice Gilman: Continued from Wish I Had a Chance, Here, mild GMing of Carlos approved))

Alice wasn't sure of how long she had run, or in what direction. Her only concern had been getting as far away as possible from the farmhouse. Inevitably, though, the rush of adrenaline wore off, and the never exactly in shape Alice was forced to soon slow down, before collapsing to the ground entirely.

She knew that Casey was already dead.

It would have been easier to try and deny it, to close her mind and refuse to accept reality. Alice hadn't seen Casey's collar explode, after all, couldn't there still be a chance that she had managed to escape in time? That her collar had miraculously malfunctioned, completely failing to explode? However much she wanted to, though, Alice knew she could never believe it. She had spent her entire time on the island thus far lying to herself, allowing herself to feel safe, allowing herself to believe that she, Carlos, and Casey could just ride out the storm unscathed.

Despite her grand show of "leaving behind the person she was" on the first day, despite her speech to the cameras in the hospital, Alice had still held hope inside of her of everything going back to normal. She'd gone into their little group with the full expectation of it falling apart, but as day after day passed of surviving together, of avoiding any of the real dangers that inhabited the island, she had allowed herself to grow complacent.

It would have been so much easier if Alice had never run into Casey, or Carlos, had never allowed herself to grow attached. She would have heard their names on the announcements, felt perhaps a moment of grief, and would then be able to return to surviving. She wouldn't be here, collapsed on the ground, too numb from shock and guilt to even cry.

Alice barely even noticed when Carlos caught up to her. They stayed there, silent, for a time, neither able or willing to address the conspicuous absence in their group. "Can't just stay out here forever." Alice eventually said, tonelessly. "There's a lighthouse close by. We can head there." There wasn't any opposition. The lighthouse was out of the way, and neither of them wanted to deal with other people.

The walk to the lighthouse was quiet, uneventful. The lighthouse was similarly quiet, except for the corpse in the museum, with a bag lying next to it. Alice took the bag, then ascended to the next floor as quickly as she could. From the smell of it, the corpse had been there for quite a while. The second floor was also empty. Alice and Carlos wordlessly set up camp, following the same routine that had served them well earlier. Alice took a moment to inspect the bags that they had piled in a corner.

G064, Gilman, Alice. B053, Whaley, Michael. G037, Malkovitch, Casey. B015, Lazaro, Carlos.

Just a few hours earlier, Alice had been worried about their group running out of rations. But now, with only two of them, and the addition of the deceased Michael Whaley's bag, (Alice neither knew nor particularly cared about him, and it was best his supplies were used by someone, right?) they had more than enough to last a few days. It wasn't much of a relief.

"Think we should check out the tower?" Alice asked quietly, gesturing vaguely at the stairs. "Doubt anyone's up there, but best to make sure."
Ciel†

Post by Ciel† »

(Carlos Lazaro continued from Wish I Had a Chance, Here.)

Carlos did not know how long he had been running for. Shit, it wasn't like he was counting each and every step! One minute he was hovering over Casey, the next they were far, far away from there. There was no mistaking what had happened though, or believing that it was all a terrifying dream. Casey was dead, there was no changing that.

Any gung-hoe bravado was gone, his hard-boiled facade cracked into pieces. What was left, how little there appeared to be, was a husk, barely speaking. Alice lead him along the entire time. Alice, the girl who just doubled over, on what appeared to be the verge of tears. Even she seemed to have more direction than him. So much so that she somehow sped past him when they were running from the Danger Zone.

Carlos didn't cry. He rarely Cried. But the pain in his chest made up for that in spades. His mind was in fifty different places and yet only focused on one in particular; that of the girl with that cane went on a trip to Disneyland in a stupid fucking Halloween costume.

Christ. How could he have been so quick to abandon her? He had enough time to snatch Casey's knife.

Fuck.

Alice was talking. Carlos didn't even hear her until she mentioned the lighthouse. He turned to look at her, hands on his hips. The only reply Alice would get from him was a mindless nod of his head.

"Sure," he said. "Just... lead the way."

He didn't feel like talking. Carlos needed to think through some very heavy shit.

Why were all of the places around the island so creepy? It made no damn sense. None of the other locations in past versions looked straight out of strange foreign horror movies. Whatever. He didn't care anymore, perfectly fine with going along with the motions. It didn't take very long, frankly. Weren't that many places to check. Carlos lapsed into silence, hovering over a cracked glass case until Alice spoke up.

Check the tower? Carlos sneered.

"Shit, wouldn't they have seen us coming?" He asked.

Then he paused. With a hesitant glance at the stairway leading upwards, Carlos let out a sigh. Girl had a point.  

"Alright, alright." He folded, reaching over to grab for his axe. "Guess we could check, just to be sure. Come on."
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Ciel. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Grim Wolf

Post by Grim Wolf »

The sound of footsteps drifted cloud-like through the rain.  Tyler turned slowly to stare as the door swung open, revealing Carlos with axe in hand.

For a moment, Tyler did nothing.  Just stared at the other man and let his eyes flicker between him and the bag beneath the awning, sheltered from the rain.  

"Hey," Tyler said, and then, "You don't want to stick around while I'm here."  He stepped forwards, grabbed his bag, and pushed his way past him.

He paused for a moment, tense with potential.  The air seemed a little heavy, with the rain and storm and something else, too.  Something a little violent.

"Fight well," he said, and then went stomping off on his way, barely looking at Alice as he passed her.

(Tyler Lucas continued in Law and Instinct)
Those Whose Time Has Come]

Terra Johnson (female student no. 73, DECEASED): Oh...duh...Abel's...dead...the one who...lives is...

Tom Swift (male student no. 60): It didn't matter what he wanted anymore.

Daria Bhatia (female student no. 56): "I pity you, and everyone who knows you. Because if you can live with this, I don't...I don't think you're human anymore.”

[+] Those Who Have Gone Before
[/url]

V6

Alex Tarquin (male student no. 32: "No more...masks..."

Tara Behzad (female student no. 12): "They don't get to decide how I die."

Lizzie Luz: "I don't want to go."

V5

Tyler Lucas: "I had fun. You?"

Karen Idel: Game over.

Xavier Contel: "G-gotta...trust people, Arthur. G-g-gotta try. C-can't be afraid."

v4

Naoko Raidon (male student no. 54): Dying like...this isn't...so...bad...

Mirabelle Nesa: "I'm a weak little girl who couldn't save anyone, even myself, but god damn it I beat you and god damn it you are going to remember that because I am Mirabelle Nesa and I am a hardened goddamn warrior and I am not going to fucking give up now!"

Simon Grey: "I never was a hero, but, God help me, I tried."

David Meramac: "Running towards nothing. Running from nothing."
dmboogie

Post by dmboogie »

Carlos did have a point that anyone in the tower would have likely seen their approach, but it just wasn't good practice to leave any corner unchecked. More work meant less time to think, too, if only a few minutes. Carlos grabbed a hold of his axe, and Alice was reminded of how she was still unarmed, save for the joke of a device she had been assigned. Alice still wasn't sure why she had held on to it, except for an inherent reluctance to throw away anything that might prove useful later, however useless it may seem.

Alice supposed she would just have to trust in Carlos to defend them, as much as she disliked placing the burden on his shoulders alone. "Let's go." They started their climb up to the tower. Carlos was the first to the top, cautiously opening the door, revealing Tyler Lucas, silently staring out at the horizon. Alice tensed, studying him. The boy slowly turned to face them, apparently unarmed. He soon grabbed his bag and left, leaving only his ominous words behind.

Tyler's last comment troubled Alice. Fight well? Had he been participating in the game? Alice couldn't recall his name ever being listed on the announcements as a killer, but she hadn't been paying much attention to the recent announcements unless they concerned one of the few people she still cared about. The veiled threat in his words hadn't boded well, either. Did he plan to come back later?

Alice leaned against the railing and stared out into the stormy distance. Part of her didn't want to be turned out of yet another hiding spot, another part of her didn't want to risk more confrontation. A final, small part of her just wanted to sink against the wall of the lighthouse and stay there, to hell with trying to survive any longer. It was becoming an increasingly appealing option. Alice had made a promise to herself, to keep herself strong for the sake of her companions, but that had been while Casey was still alive. She and Carlos could only go through the motions for so long until the true despair of their situation finally hit, and what would they do then? Give in to the game and start to kill? Throw themselves off the cliffs below, just to put an end to it all?

Alice sighed. She was just so tired of everything. Tired of fear. Tired of death. Tired of loss. As much as she contemplated otherwise, her survival instinct was too strong for her to ever seriously consider giving up for more than a few minutes. She and Carlos (the only one she had left, now) would continue on, would live, would hide, would end up corpses after running into someone bigger and meaner than them. For now, all they could do was concentrate on the here and now, and put off the inevitable a little while longer. "Think he'll be trouble, if we stay?"
Ciel†

Post by Ciel† »

Carlos blinked.

"... Hey."

Tyler Lucas. Wrestler, football, kind of an ass. Carlos never had a problem with him, though he was definitely the exception there.

Tyler stared at Carlos, away from Carlos, then spoke. Carlos stared back, frozen in place. Told him that Carlos doesn't want to be here while he's around. Then he walked away.

Carlos sat there for a long moment, absolutely stunned at what just happened. Tyler Lucas had just... walked away from him? For a second, Carlos thought he was going to get his shit kicked in by some weightlifting asshole but, no, apparently it was time for him to leave.

Fight well? What the fuck? What did he mean, fight well? Like, Carlos knew what he meant, but the piece of advice was jarring, especially considering who was handing it over to him.

Alice said something soon after, sounding about as stressed as Carlos. Think he'll be trouble? Good question. Carlos didn't think Tyler would be coming back, after that weird moment. But he turned to face Alice, made a face.

"Alice."

Carlos paused, pressed his hand over his eyes.

Sigh.

"Just... get the stuff. Let's find somewhere else."

And that was that. They left soon after, tugging the dozen or so bags behind them.

Carlos and Alice were two of the lucky ones. Tyler made him realize this. His time on the island was relatively un-stressful. The idea of him dying. He didn't even see Casey die. And as much as it pained him, leaving Casey to die like some sort of animal, he was relieved that he got out when he did. That wasn't me. That was someone else entirely.

He was real tired of this island's bullshit though. Real tired.

(Carlos Lazaro continued in Bullet Dance.)
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Ciel. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
dmboogie

Post by dmboogie »

So the decision was made to leave, both Carlos and Alice too weary to debate or even consider any other options. Tyler's not-quite-a-threat soured the atmosphere. Though Alice was of half of a mind to just stop running, and if Tyler returned, so be it, she still found herself following Carlos back down the tower to gather their things and leave.

They silently walked back out of the lighthouse, back into the storm outside, heading towards nowhere in particular and once more leaving behind any sense of security.

((Alice Gilman: Continued in Bullet Dance.))

Return to “The Lighthouse”