When you think about others more than yourself

Open to anyone

Everything Prom-related before the actual dance takes place here: last second date-searches, time spent dressing, rendezvous with friends, and fancy limo (or, as the case may be, bus) rides to the dance are all welcome.
Candescence†

When you think about others more than yourself

Post by Candescence† »

((Tristan Matthews continued from A Few Administration Issues))

"Yes, I've made sure everything is prepared and stuff, it's all good, dad, jeez!"

Tristan paced around the street just outside the Prom venue, with a phone to his ear. People passed by him, be they random bystanders, or students actually coming to the Prom. He didn't really pay attention to any of them. He had other concerns on his mind right now. Even as lights of cars passed by, he continued to talk with his father over the phone about what was going on with the prom. He wasn't really sure why his father was actually concerned. He knew he had everything sorted, even if it wasn't his job to do it, but he was the Communications Officer of the Student Council, and he'd be damned if he didn't see to it that everyone would be able to have a good time tonight.

"Forgetting something? What the heck could I have possibly forgotten?"

Now that he thought about it, there was something poking from the back of his mind, trying to remind him of something that wasn't related to Prom preparation. What could it possibly b-

"Oh, crap. I forgot to get myself a date, didn't I?"

He stopped pacing right there and then, as he heard his father burst into laughter over the phone. He had to move the phone away from his ear because it was so loud. He pinched the bridge of his nose. Of course! A date! How could he have so completely forgotten? How amazingly stupid and careless of him. To think, such a nice guy forgot to ask a girl out for the School Prom, and only just realises it before the Prom actually started. That has to be the most embarrasing thing ever.

"Dad... DAD. Could you stop laughing for a minute?"

The embarassment aside, Tristan began to pace around again, as his father asked if he might be able to sort the whole mess out right before the Prom actually starts proper. Well, it's a tad late for that, isn't it? What's the chances of him picking up a date right off the street?

"Look, I'll... I'll try and sort it out myself. I'll be fine. I'll see you later, okay? Bye."

Tristan hung up right there, and leaned back on the linked fence right behind him, pondering the situation. Good grief. How'd he forget? In all the mess of organising things, getting a music playlist ready for approval, and all that jazz, he was just thinking about making sure everyone had a good time tonight, rather than thinking of himself. If he had thought more about himself, maybe he wouldn't be in this mess!

Of course, he reminded himself, he's Tristan. Helping others out is his thing, not helping himself.

He looked up, watching various people pass by him on the street. He checked his watch quickly. Not that much more time to go before it starts.

Well, at least everyone else will have a good time, right?

((Wow. Worst possible timing to check up on this board, seriously. I feel like a twit for not checking up at the beginning of the month. Or earlier, for that matter.))
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Candescence. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Brackie

Post by Brackie »

((Paige Strand continued from Splashdown!))

Sigh. Just because Jacob HAD to eat that basket of spider eggs for a dare, Paige was now DATELESS.
It wasn't that she didn't love Jacob, don't get her wrong, it was just that he could be a bit...absentminded sometimes.

So it was that Paige Strand strolled down the streets of St. Paul, even sometimes following along her jogging path, towards Prom alone. She knew she wouldn't be the only one dateless, far from it, but it just didn't seem possible for HER to be dateless.

Upon approaching the Prom hall, she sat herself down at the nearest bench and leaned herself back. Her aquamarine motiff shone under the nearest streetlight, sparkling like a pool of water. Fat lot of good it would do, though, since there was no-one to admire it. Not a date anyway.

Fuck.
[+] The Island
V4: G069 - Clio Gabriella: Hold me closer, tiny dancer; count the headlights on the highway to hell.
V4: G083 - Paige Strand: Feelings don't try to hurt you, even the painful ones. You're responsible for all of the damn consequences.
V4: B118 - Jacob Charles: Every grieving heart has screamed at one time or another 'why can't you just let me die?'
V4: G114 - Aston Bennett: A woman who desires revenge must dig three graves.
V4: B108 - Ma'afu Tuigamala: Most men would rather forget a hard truth than face it.
V5: G015 - Janie Sinneave: Every human being must find her own way to cope with the impossible, and the only job of a true friend is to facilitate whatever method she doesn't choose.
V6: B018 - Maxim Kehlenbrink: Too much self-centered attitude brings isolation. Result: loneliness, fear, anger, and a hammer to the skull.
V7: G044 - Mikki Swift: It takes 18 years to build a reputation and a minute to ruin it.
V7: G070 - Jessica Rennes: Despair is our chance to wrestle with water and fall through.
V7: G075 - Aditi Sharma: She can still scream that rebel yell, just as loud as it was in 2005.
[+] Home
V4: B042 - Brendan Wallace: History has a way of repeating itself for years to come.
Meanwhile...
v5 - Penny Huang: Good girls can make bad decisions.
v5 - Jasper Rourke: Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are, "what could have been".
v7 - Gaelan Meloy: And nothing matters.
v7 - Jordan Brankovich: Rethinking it all.
v7 - Kayden Brockman: Not done yet.
v7 - Ji-hyun Christensen: Just getting started.
[+] Remind Me Tomorrow
Destiny Martinez will live fast and die faster.
Aidan Winston is going to let you know you're not solving anything.
Lara Rodriguez thinks you should keep your opinion on her to yourself.
Peyton Hoffman isn't fond of the PC Police ruining everything.
Lindsey Sewall wants to make sure you drank water today you stupid bitch.
Luke Travers needs to have a code.
I'm hosting a SOTF!
SOTF: International
Applications Open Now!
Candescence†

Post by Candescence† »

((Oh, now I notice! Silly me.))

Tristan decided to just stop worrying and go to the freakn' prom already. Who cares if he doesn't have a date? He walked along the street, coming around the corner towards the prom building, an-Hey, is that Paige Strand? And... Why is she sitting on a bench, without Jacob? Tristan had heard that Jacob was Paige's date, but... Maybe he ditched her at the last minute or something? Or maybe he's late? The latter might be more likely.

Tristan stopped on the footpath for a moment to consider what to do. Paige looked awfully down. But her aquamarine motif looked amazing under that street light. Maybe she's worried or something. Either way, she wasn't having a good time. Someone not having a good time on date night? We can't have that, now can we? Time for Mr. Good Samaritan to do his job once again.

Tristan adjusted the tie on his tuxedo, before walking over to the miserable girl. Oh, yes, he did indeed have a tux, instead of his regular coat. You kinda have to look good on prom night, ya know. Stopping a couple of feet away from her, Tristan blinked, as he spoke. "Paige? You look rather down tonight. Where's Jacob? Isn't he your date tonight?"
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Candescence. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Brackie

Post by Brackie »

"Paige? You look rather down tonight. Where's Jacob? Isn't he your date tonight?"

...oh Jesus no. Please, for the love of god, let it not be this guy. Please please please pl-

Paige leant back up to find a boy standing there. Paige knew who he was, everyone knew who this freak was. He was that kid who always quoted the bible, always tried to stop fights and stuff, always knew more than he should, and always wore that stupid coat around from some videogame or something, she really didn't know; did she look like she had time for video games? God, what was she, 8?

But something struck the back of Paige's mind. It wasn't actually important to her, but...was it really worth belittling this guy on prom night of all nights. She was kind of a bitch, but not that much. She wanted to use sharp, pointy pointy words to show this guy wasn't supposed to speak to her, but...it was prom night. Maybe a gesture of good faith was in order.

Putting on an obviously plastered smile, she spoke to him in a sly, non-threatening voice.
"Hello there. You're...um..."
She paused to glance up and down at the attire he wore, and snapped her finger in fake forgetfulness. This should be entertaining.
[+] The Island
V4: G069 - Clio Gabriella: Hold me closer, tiny dancer; count the headlights on the highway to hell.
V4: G083 - Paige Strand: Feelings don't try to hurt you, even the painful ones. You're responsible for all of the damn consequences.
V4: B118 - Jacob Charles: Every grieving heart has screamed at one time or another 'why can't you just let me die?'
V4: B108 - Ma'afu Tuigamala: Most men would rather forget a hard truth than face it.
V5: G015 - Janie Sinneave: Every human being must find her own way to cope with the impossible, and the only job of a true friend is to facilitate whatever method she doesn't choose.
V6: B018 - Maxim Kehlenbrink: Too much self-centered attitude brings isolation. Result: loneliness, fear, anger, and a hammer to the skull.
V7: G044 - Mikki Swift: It takes 18 years to build a reputation and a minute to ruin it.
V7: G070 - Jessica Rennes: Despair is our chance to wrestle with water and fall through.
V7: G075 - Aditi Sharma: She can still scream that rebel yell, just as loud as it was in 2005.
[+] Home
V4: B042 - Brendan Wallace: History has a way of repeating itself for years to come.
Meanwhile...
v5 - Jasper Rourke: Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are, "what could have been".
[+] Remind Me Tomorrow
I'm hosting a SOTF!
Applications Open Now!
Candescence†

Post by Candescence† »

Tristan blinked momentarilly, as Paige addressed him. While he was a good guy and all, he wasn't blind to insincerity. The plastered smile and the sly voice gave him a feeling she really wasn't glad to see him at all. But, why not play along? It wouldn't hurt to do that. After all, it is prom night. He looked down at his tuxedo, and back at Paige, with a chuckle. "Oh, this? My dad bought it for me. One does have to try to look good for prom night."

He sighed, crossing his arms, but didn't take away his smile. Even if his attire was kinda for nothing tonight... Might as well tell the truth, lying really wasn't his thing. "Though, I might have forgotten this as well if dad hadn't bought it. I've been so busy working on prom preparations for the most part, that I completely forgotten one vital thing. I confess, I forgot to find myself a prom date. Embarrasing, isn't it? To say I only realised at the last minute would be almost literal."

He suddenly grinned, laughing sheepishly. Yeah, she's totally gonna make fun of him for something embarrasing as that. "Anyway... What's up with you, tonight?"
Brackie

Post by Brackie »

"Oh, this? My dad bought it for me. One does have to try to look good for prom night."
...that wasn't what she asked. God, was this kid really-
Just stop it Paige. Be nice to him. What'd he ever do to you?
Well, he's a lo-
Paige. Be. Nice!!!

Sighing, Paige sits back and listen to the kid speak.

"Though, I might have forgotten this as well if dad hadn't bought it. I've been so busy working on prom preparations for the most part, that I completely forgotten one vital thing. I confess, I forgot to find myself a prom date. Embarrasing, isn't it? To say I only realised at the last minute would be almost literal."
Did this kid swallow a dictionary or something? Who speaks like that? Gah, no use thinking about how to make fun of him if you're not going to make fun of him at all. Just like that thing her mother always said. What was it again?

"Anyway... What's up with you, tonight?"
"Oh, me? Well..."
Paige shuffled over on the bench. Friendly gestures were out of her nature, so it was what she supposed someone who care what this kid though would do.
Sighing again, Paige responded in kind "Well...you ever eaten a basket of almost-hatching spider eggs? Well, my date did. And like, since you can't go to prom from the hospital, I just thought I would come alone. Meet up with friends and stuff. So yeah, this is me, like, walking through the streets alone and stuff..."
Leaning forward from the reclining position, Paige held her head in her hands. To him, it would look like it was just for the fact that she was dateless, but to her, it was because of her whole night. God, she needed to leave this town...
[+] The Island
[+] Home
Meanwhile...
[+] Remind Me Tomorrow
I'm hosting a SOTF!
Applications Open Now!
Candescence†

Post by Candescence† »

God, way to overdo the formalities, Tristan. He also didn't answer the bloody question properly, did he? Wow, more embarrasment. When these things happened to finally hit Tristan like a freight train, he attempted to curb the stress and nervousness by fiddling with that bow on his tux. Paige wasn't the only one here who was less than spirited right about now, granted, Tristan was in a much better mood than her, but still. Why can't he just loosen up, forget about this whole 'lack of date' crap and go have fun at the prom?

Well, it was mainly because he hated the idea that someone wasn't having fun on prom night. And he needed to rectify that.

"Well...you ever eaten a basket of almost-hatching spider eggs? Well, my date did. And like, since you can't go to prom from the hospital, I just thought I would come alone. Meet up with friends and stuff. So yeah, this is me, like, walking through the streets alone and stuff..."
Tristan listened to what Paige had to say, and nodded multiple times as she spoke. Except the spider eggs thing. What possessed him to do that? That's a silly thing to do, really, no wonder he's in hospital. And no wonder Paige is looking miserable.

Tristan sat down on the bench next to Paige (but he was careful to give the girl some space). He didn't quite know what to say at first, twiddling his thumbs as he sat forward. And there's the problem of how to cheer her up. "I... Yeah, that sucks, doesn't it? I wouldn't want to end up like that, that's for sure. I suppose... Well, maybe I can..." One idea popped up in his head, but he wondered if it was actually appropriate, and he also wondered if Paige wouldn't reject such a proposal outright. He placed a hand on his shoulder, as he tried to think of what to say.

"Well, if there's any way to cheer you up... I..." Tristan sighed, face-palming, as he spoke, out loud, "What the hell am I doing?"

He suddenly got up from his seat, extending a hand towards Paige, with a slight bow, and a smile. "I know it's sudden, but if would help cheer you up... I would be honoured to take his place as your date tonight. I don't have a date either, really."
Brackie

Post by Brackie »

"I... Yeah, that sucks, doesn't it? I wouldn't want to end up like that, that's for sure. I suppose... Well, maybe I can..."
...God, I know I haven't been that nice to you, using your name in vain, but please...
"Well, if there's any way to cheer you up... I..."
...I really, really, REALLY hope that he isn't about to say what I think you want him to say.
"What the hell am I doing?"
Yes! What the hell are you doing?
"I know it's sudden, but if would help cheer you up... I would be honoured to take his place as your date tonight. I don't have a date either, really."

Paige looked up from her hands, and found the boy standing in front of her, hand out, in mid-bow. No...just...no, was the first thought that came to her head. This guy can not be seen with her. He is a dork, he is a loser, he is a freak. Why would she be seen with him?
Because you will look nice.
Paige stopped in mid thought, and realised what it would mean. Everyone knew this kid was a dork. And what more of a charitable effort could she throw towards the school if she took him out on a date?

She knew it was vain, she knew it was mean, she knew it was very very very wrong to actually think like that. But there was nothing stopping her. Sum quod Sum. She was who she was. Paige smiled when she realised she pulled out the one useful thing from tv. Staying unbelievably still for the next 30 seconds, and making sure that Tristan...oh god, she was going to have to call him that, wasn't she... could not see her face, she took one of the biggest gulps in her life, not even audible to a mouse. Her face looked like she was about to eat that bucket of spider eggs for herself.
Facing back to Tristan, she had on a weak smile, stood up, and replied.
"...okay. Let's go."
Paige started to walk towards the hall, almost tripping in her high heels, and said one final thing to the boy who was now her date.
"Understand this, though, pipsqueak. I am your...date. I'm not your girlfriend, I'm not even your friend. You try anything on me, and I will break something."
[+] The Island
[+] Home
Meanwhile...
[+] Remind Me Tomorrow
I'm hosting a SOTF!
Applications Open Now!
Candescence†

Post by Candescence† »

Tristan had a good feeling that Paige's decision to accept his offer was rather reluctant. He was not delusional. He knew damn well quite a few people disliked him for who he is. Who could blame them? Devout Christians by themselves had a bad rap in general, and quite a few people would say that Tristan is way, WAY too nice for his own good. Tristan had occasionally wondered if they were right.

"...okay. Let's go."
Tristan would have sighed in relief. Well, he would have to hold it in until she was both not looking and out of hearing range. It's better that way, really. He nodded, as he waited for Paige to get up from her seat, and then started walking alongside her.

Then Paige made one thing very, very clear to him.

"Understand this, though, pipsqueak. I am your...date. I'm not your girlfriend, I'm not even your friend. You try anything on me, and I will break something."
It seems Paige wouldn't be the only person tonight to take the biggest gulp of their life, as Tristan managed to pull off a silent gulp as well, as he looked away from her, and once he managed to get that gulp out of the way, he went back to trying to hide his nervousness. "Crystal clear. You won't need to tell me twice."

Tristan knew damn well that he and Paige had absolutely no chemistry whatsoever. Even if they did, it would be the sort of chemistry that would blow up the science lab. Comically. And leave behind a horrible stench, to boot. He already knew Paige didn't like him much, if at all, and it might look incredibly odd for him to be paired with her tonight. He may or may not regret this decision.

He continued to walk alongside her, and when they got to the prom building, Tristan opened the door, and held it open for Paige, and would let go when she goes inside. It was good manners, after all.

((Tristan Matthews, continued in The Dance Must go on!.))
Brackie

Post by Brackie »

"Crystal clear. You won't need to tell me twice."
Paige decided a nice creepout was in order before they entered the prom. She put on the happiest smile she could, and replied in a sweet tone.
"Alrighty then! Let's go have fun!"

Paige walked with Tristan all the way to the prom hall, which was only around the corner. Loathing every step which she took with the boy, she waited as he opened the door for her, and they stepped inside to join her friends.

((Paige Strand continued in the Prom))
[+] The Island
[+] Home
Meanwhile...
[+] Remind Me Tomorrow
I'm hosting a SOTF!
Applications Open Now!

Return to “Pre-Prom”