Phantasmagoria

Silence is Golden

Boasting some of the best popcorn you could ever get your hands on, Sunset Cinema is a prime dating spot for local couples around the area. Couples, or even just large groups of friends, can usually be seen flocking into this theater on the weekends, while the more cash-conscious viewers seem to stick to the matinee. The ticket cost in this place is a little outrageous, but the snack bar more than makes up for it.
Tythanin†

Phantasmagoria

Post by Tythanin† »

(Melissa Li continued from dz/dt.)

Life...Life...Well, there wasn't a correct phrase or word that could adequately describe how Melissa felt about life. In one hand was infinite possibilities and freedom. In the other was the chains and shackles of society and expectation. You could do whatever you wanted in life (at least that's what everyone said)...as long as it was acceptable and you found a means and a way to achieve your dreams. You could learn whatever you wanted to learn...as long as you had the money to pay for it. You could live however you wanted to live as long as your parents weren't there hovering over your back, watching your every move to make sure that you lived up to their hopes as the ideal daughter. You could reach for the stars...but you'd be burned way before you'd even touch it. That was the swirl of contradictions that life was made out of.

It wasn't that she hated her parents...no, she couldn't allow herself to hate her parents. And she was grateful for their support and their...their lovely, overbearing care. She was certain that other kids didn't have parents that made sure she got the best education she could and had planned everything out for her, all the way through college. She was blessed...if only they could stop arguing.

A frown crossed her face as fragments of last night's argument drifted through her head. She quickly tried to drown it out by calling up the silky operatic tones of Ave Maria but that didn't help much. The topic was already firmly in her mind as she continued her walk around town, lazily looking around the people and the shops. It was rush hour and the streets and sidewalks were crowded with various people looking to get home to enjoy some time with their family.

'Home...' Melissa sighed. It was back to the same topic again. No matter how many times she wanted to drive that out of her mind, it would always come back like some bratty kid...or like Jordan in Calculus when he wanted some help. A small smile formed and she continued walking, letting the noise sweep her off her feet and wipe away all the worry and paranoia.

She always enjoyed it when she reached this state...her nirvana. This is what life should be like...just the mindless enjoyment of being able to experience everything happening around you. No need for worries. No need for tests or pleasing people who would never be pleased or grades or...anything. She remembered the saying "Ignorance is Bliss." Whoever said that was a genius, at least to her.

Her wandering landed her right in front of the Sunset Cinema. She looked upon it blankly, just watching the people who bought tickets for the next great flick. There were a few couples walking in and a couple of rambunctious kids as well. She swiftly sidestepped one such youngster who had nearly ran into her. She contemplated watching a movie but...No, she was already late as it is. Her parents would want to know where she had been for the past...She looked at her watch. Past hour.

Well, she could always tell them she had been in the library. It was true, after all.

Step, step, step...the endless journey continued.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Tythanin. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

(Jennifer Perez continued from Window Shopping)

Jennifer was walking around town, looking for ways to avoid going home. She was enjoying her time out, and her mom wouldn't care. Jennifer followed rules far too closely to get into any real trouble.

In her wanderings, she realized she had ended up outside the Sunset Cinema. Many of Jennifer's classmates loved going there. They liked keeping up with the latest works of their favorite actors, and living vicariously through the stories told on the screen. Jennifer went along, sometimes, but not because she had any great love for movies.

Movies affected Jennifer rather strongly. She hated their melodrama, their unrealistic plots and situations. She felt like a horrible voyeur, sitting in on other people's drama. She had enough drama in the real world. Why would she want to go out of her way to share other people's?

Of course, that was exactly what she did when she got into the middle of her friends arguments.

That's different, though, Jennifer thought, I'm helping them. I'm doing something good for my friends, just like I would want them to do for me.

Jennifer saw another girl near the cinema, looking at it. She thought she recognized the girl from school, but couldn't remember her name. The girl sidestepped a rude kid who almost walked into her.

Jennifer cringed. What was wrong with people? Why was everyone so self centered? Why didn't people ever come out of their own little worlds?

She realized that she had stopped walking as she looked at the cinema, and was standing in the sidewalk, impeding the flow of traffic. She blushed at her own hypocrisy. Here she was, blaming other people for being caught up with themselves, while she stared at some girl and blocked people's ways.

And how is it that I don't know her name? We're seniors. We've been at the same school for four years. What the hell is wrong with me?

Jennifer knew plenty of underclassmen. She really had no excuse for not knowing this girl.

She cautiously walked up to her, and said, "Um... Hi. I'm Jennifer. I think I've seen you around school a few times, and, um... this is embarrassing, but, I was wondering what your name is."

She instantly regretted speaking. It would be just her luck if this girl was from some other high school across town or something. Jennifer had probably just made a huge fool of herself.
Tythanin†

Post by Tythanin† »

Melissa's blissful journey in the world of ignorance was brought to a sudden and screeching halt when some girl walked up to her and began talking. Her nirvana shattered and everything rushed back in. A brief look of irritation flashed across her face before she got a good look at the speaker, recognizing her from school. She couldn't bring up the name, though...but she looked familiar, at least. She introduced herself as Jennifer and Melissa racked her brain to try to tie a last name to it but failed.

She affixed her trademark smile on her face again and held out a hand for Jennifer to shake. "I don't think we've ever met before. My name's Melissa. It's nice to meet you. Uh...do you go to Bayview Secondary? If so, then that's probably where you've seen me."

She waited for the girl's reply patiently. All in all, this really wasn't that bad of a distraction. Talking to a fellow classmate could be fun...much better than walking into a random passerby or pole. Maybe she'd even make a new friend. That'd be cool.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Tythanin. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

The girl looked irritated for a split second, and Jennifer cringed.

Oh, great, I've screwed up someone else's day. Brilliant.

Then she seemed to relax somewhat. Jennifer was relieved. She hated conflict, and tried her hardest never to stir it up.

The girl introduced herself as Melissa. Jennifer tried to file her name away, hoping that she'd be able to remember it. It was always really embarrassing when she forgot acquaintances' names.

"Uh...do you go to Bayview Secondary?" Melissa asked, "If so, then that's probably where you've seen me."

Jennifer breathed a sigh of relief. She'd been right about seeing Melissa after all.

"Yeah, I'm at Bayview. Um, what brings you out here tonight?" Jennifer said. Now that she'd introduced herself, she found herself floundering a little for things to talk about. Younger students were so much easier to deal with. They'd just start spewing random thoughts, and Jennifer could chime in when she found something she could relate to.
Tythanin†

Post by Tythanin† »

"Brings me out? Oh..." She laughed and shrugged. "I had some free time so I just...took a walk to sort out my thoughts and enjoy life. Something like that. It calms me down...helps me relax, you know?"

She grinned a little at Jennifer, adjusting her glasses. She wondered what she should say to the girl. This wasn't like school...there wasn't a problem on the board that she could help with. There was no essay that she could give pointers and assistance to. She didn't even know what classes or interests this girl had...which left a sad lack of things to actually talk about.

Still, it wasn't like she was helpless. It didn't seem like Jennifer would be the one who would be the life of this party so Melissa just continued smiling at her and thought of some general topics to talk about or ask. "Oh yeah...if you don't mind me asking, what brings you out here? Same reason as me?"

"Although perhaps we should get out of the middle of the street first, huh?" She chuckled before walked to the Cinema wall and beckoning Jennifer to join her. She lay her backpack on the ground and just leaned against the wall, her arms folded over her grayish-white shirt. She smiled again at Jennifer.

Smiling. It was one of the few things she was sincerely good at. No matter the situation or place, she could mask all of her emotions and wear that pure smile for the whole world to see. It was good for other people to see her smiling. A smile meant that she was happy. A smile meant that there were no problems haunting her.

Just another hypocrisy.
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

"Oh yeah...if you don't mind me asking, what brings you out here? Same reason as me?" Melissa asked, following quickly with, "Although perhaps we should get out of the middle of the street first, huh?" and a chuckle.

"Oh, yeah, probably," Jennifer replied, following Melissa to the wall of the cinema. Jennifer followed Melissa's lead, and set her pack down. Melissa was smiling, which was nice. It made Jennifer feel far more comfortable, and less like she had defied some sort of taboo. Smiling was something she could understand.

"I pretty much walk around to, um, calm down too," Jennifer said, "I was at the mall earlier, um looking at clothes, seeing if there was anything cool that I could replicate. I make clothes," Jennifer said.

Why did I just do that? she thought I meet someone, and the first thing I do is turn the discussion to me.

Jennifer was wearing a reddish-brown ankle-length skirt and a red t-shirt, neither of which was too loud. She hoped they looked alright, and wished she hadn't mentioned that she made clothing.

"What do you do for fun?" Jennifer asked Melissa, "I mean, besides walking around and stuff."
Tythanin†

Post by Tythanin† »

"You make clothes?" Melissa blinked in surprise, looking closer at the clothes that Jennifer was wearing at the moment. They were very...red, to say the least. She wondered if Jennifer really liked the color or just decided to go with it. Still, they looked fairly well made. Fashion wasn't her thing so she couldn't tell if they were fashionable or not but she'd buy a set like that if it was in nice shades of blue. She nodded approvingly and grinned at Jennifer. "They look great...I wish I could do something like that. I wouldn't mind buying something from you. Heh, all I can do is solve math problems and write essays."

"As for what else I do..." Melissa paused and began ticking off things on her fingers. "Uh...I write at home, listen to music, play the piano...stuff like that, really. I don't get out much. I probably should find another hobby but I never have enough time..."

"And watching movies, I guess, but right now there's really nothing I like." She shrugged. "So what about you, Jennifer? Anything else besides making clothes? Do you have anything fun or interesting? Maybe you're a caped crusader in the night, ridding St. Paul of evil."

She laughed, shaking her head ruefully. She had loved reading superhero comics when she was a kid. Who didn't? Reading about them defeat crime and bring peace and justice to the city (in the comics that didn't suck or were really weird) was...well it was really fun. It had made her hopeful...gave her dreams of one day being her own sort of...modern day crime fighter. As she grew up though, she realized they were just stories. They weren't true...nothing like that ever could be true. So she packed away all those comics and shoved them in a closet in her room.

Her parents never really approved of her reading them anyway so...well, it worked out in the end. There was no need to have worthless fantasies about the future, at least according to her parents.

But that wasn't the point here. Right now it was the present and there was no point in reminiscing about old hopes and dreams when she had more than enough current worries and problems. She waited for Jennifer's answer, curious what she would say. Maybe she'd actually do something new for once and break out of this endless loop she was trapped in.
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

Melissa complimented Jennifer's clothes, and then commented about potentially purchasing something from her. Jennifer was floored. She felt honored by Melissa's compliment.

Melissa then listed her impressive array of creative hobbies. Jennifer smiled and nodded, wondering how a person could possibly do so much. She wasn't surprised when Melissa commented that she didn't have much free time.

"So what about you, Jennifer?" Melisa asked, "Anything else besides making clothes? Do you have anything fun or interesting? Maybe you're a caped crusader in the night, ridding St. Paul of evil."

"Um, no capes," Jennifer said, chuckling a little at Melissa's joke, "I hang out with some of my friends a lot. Most of them are younger than me, um, sophomores and stuff, and they're usually fun to be around, but they can be so immature.

"I go to movies sometimes too, and sports events, you know, hockey and stuff. It's just nice to be around people. Of course, here I was walking around alone. I guess I'm a little bipolar about spending time with people."

Jennifer smiled, and then added, "Or maybe that's just my excuse. Maybe my alter ego is a huge extrovert, so people assume I'm just sleeping when I'm really patrolling the streets. Maybe I was lying earlier, and I really am some sort of secret superhero."

Jennifer was starting to feel comfortable with Melissa, at least enough to joke around with her. She seemed like a very nice girl. Jennifer found it quite refreshing to have a one-on-one conversation with someone. There was no high school drama here, no arguments to resolve. Just a nice girl out for a walk.

"Of course," Jennifer added deciding to carry the joke a little further, "you're probably the one with super powers, being able to balance all those hobbies and school. Can you slow time down or something?"
Tythanin†

Post by Tythanin† »

Melissa laughed and smiled as Jennifer described what she did. It was entertaining to listen to and she was actually having fun. At least more fun than she normally had blasting loud rock music into her ears during her normal walks around the city. She had been a little pissed when she had been interrupted but that feeling had all but disappeared now.

A small smirk appeared on her face when Jennifer asked if she was actually a secret superhero. Melissa carried it to its natural conclusion. "Yeah, don't tell anyone this but I'm actually a part of the Justice League. I can control time and space and stuff like that. Like...you see that fire hydrant at the end of the sidewalk over there? I wouldn't do it now cause there's people around and I'm not in costume, but I could teleport there in a blink of an eye."

"And my costume? It's like all red and yellow and I have a big red cape too. And on the chest...like right here..." Melissa pointed to an area just below her breasts, circling out a small portion. "Right there? That's where my symbol is. It's a bowl of noodles and pork with chopsticks. They call me China Woman back at the headquarters and my main weapons? Fortune cookies."

She nodded self-confidently, a wide grin on her face before she started breaking out in laughter. It was all just so silly...she couldn't help it. Her being a super hero? Far from it. Just a simple high school student, that's all.
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

Jennifer laughed along with Melissa. It was so nice to find someone whose sense of humor was actually good.

"We should fight crime together some time," Jennifer said in a stage whisper, "maybe make a team or something. I wonder how many other superheroes there are at Bayview. I think I know some villains we could take on, too. I bet the math teachers are really some sort of evil cult, bent on world domination through excessive homework."

Jennifer was having a great time. Her day had become so much better since finding Melissa.

"And don't get me started on the history teachers," she continued, "I'm stuck in eleventh grade history again, but just because the teacher has an evil ploy to sap my will and make me her dark apprentice. She wants me to help her conquer the world with references to the, um, Franco-Russian War or whatever.

"Maybe she can be your nemesis. You control time, and she's a fossil who's stuck in the past."
Tythanin†

Post by Tythanin† »

"Hahahaha! Sure! Tell me the next time she traps you in her diabolical lair. I'll be there in a flash to defeat her in the name of justice." She shook her head and grinned. She imagined that they must look ridiculous to everyone else on the street. Two high school girls talking and laughing about being secret superheroes. But for one of the few times in her life, she wasn't worrying about what other people thought of her. Right now, she was just enjoying the moment.

"But honestly, if you want help in your classes, I'll be glad to help. I mean, if you actually need it. It's the least I could do for my friends, you know?" Melissa smiled at her before freezing 'Friends? When did I ever call her a friend? Hell...we just met today. Would it be okay if I asked though? I mean...it's fun talking to her and stuff but...'

"I mean, if you want to be friends." Melissa said a little shakily. "It's kind of weird, huh? Asking to be friends when we just met."

She sighed mentally. What the hell was she doing now? She never had problems talking to the loners in school...maybe it was just the setting. That could be it. She was always so...calm and composed at school. At least that was the type of aura she tried to emit. She could deal with anything that came at her...but the moment she stepped out of school grounds she was dragged back down to nothing more than a meek, empty shell filled with the words, hopes, and dreams of her parents.

But maybe she could just get a little bit stronger. She smiled again at Jennifer. "So how about it? We can be partners of justice, fighting against the cruelties inflicted on us by schoolwork and evil tests."
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

Melissa offered to help Jennifer with her schoolwork, calling her a friend. Then, she seemed to become some what self conscious, asking Jennifer if she wanted to be friends, though she regained some of her humor, saying, "So how about it? We can be partners of justice, fighting against the cruelties inflicted on us by schoolwork and evil tests."

"I'd love to," Jennifer responded, grinning broadly. Melissa would be a great friend. She was so much more mature than the underclassmen.

"We can go out on patrol sometime. And maybe you can, help me vanquish my history teacher by, um, actually passing her class this year, and in return, I can make you some clothes! Maybe I can even help you make that China Woman costume!"

Jennifer was quickly becoming excited. Today had gone from boring and tiring to great by pure chance. She was so used to doing things for her friends, who always seemed to take, and here Melissa had offered to help her with strings attached. She was so much nicer than anyone Jennifer had met in a long while.
Tythanin†

Post by Tythanin† »

"I'd love to."

Those three words made Melissa's day. She wasn't exactly sure why she was so happy about it, but she was. It was like...getting presents on Christmas Day. And not stupid presents like clothes or school supplies. Presents that you really enjoyed like...a good classical novel or that brand new video game you had been coveting for weeks. Yeah...that was what she was feeling right now. Making new friends always made her happier...it was like getting someone new that you could share the whole world with.

Her smile widened as she heard about Jennifer sewing her the China Woman costume. It was really just a joke...she had never considered wearing such a thing before but now that she thought about it...it might be fun. Her parents would have to never know about it because they would get angry but...yeah, the more she thought about it...

"Well, you don't really need to sew the costume for me or clothes really, but if you want to, that'd be awesome." She clapped her hands together. "I honestly just like helping people with their school work since its one of the few things I'm really good at. But if you don't mind making me some clothes...I think that would be amazing, really."

She took an idle glance at her watch and froze. It was almost an hour after the normal time she went home. Already the sky was beginning to turn that beautiful orangey-purple color as the sun set. 'Did time really pass that quickly? I was just talking with her....oh no, my parents are going to be so upset. They're going to wonder where I was...Hopefully the library excuse will still satisfy them but...'

At that moment her cell phone rang. With a sinking feeling of trepidation, she flipped it open and was immediately blasted by a loud combination of Chinese and English which she compressed into a single "Where are you?!"

"I-I'm sorry, Dad! I just lost track of...yeah, I know but...Yes, I know!" Melissa snapped into the phone. "No, I'm not doing anything bad! Okay, I'm heading home right now! I'll be home in another ten minutes, okay? It was just another...Fine. Fine...Fine...Fine. Bye Dad."

With a sigh, she flipped the phone closed and cast Jennifer an apologetic glance. "My...parents really want me to get home right now. Sorry...Oh right, I should give you my cell phone number. It's 635-4772. Call me later, okay?"

Quickly bowing to her new friend, she grabbed her backpack and sped off for home. When she got home, she knew what was waiting for her. Another thirty-minute lecture about how she was wasting her time not studying. Just what she wanted to cap off an almost perfect day.

(Melissa Li continued In Autodidact.)
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

"I honestly just like helping people with their school work since its one of the few things I'm really good at. But if you don't mind making me some clothes...I think that would be amazing, really," Melissa said.

Jennifer smiled. She would definitely make something for Melissa. It was so nice having a friend who didn't ask anything of her.

Melissa's cell phone rang, and Jennifer heard a loud voice coming through it. She couldn't tell what was being said, but it sounded nasty. Melissa apologized to the person on the other end of the line, apparently her dad.

Jennifer had a sinking feeling that she had gotten Melissa into trouble somehow. It was just her luck. I finally meet someone nice, and I manage to get them into trouble for being nice to me. What's wrong with people? They can be so fucking unfair!

Melissa looked at Jennifer and said, "My...parents really want me to get home right now. Sorry...Oh right, I should give you my cell phone number. It's 635-4772. Call me later, okay?"

"You can count on it," Jennifer said, "And I will make you something. And, I... I'm sorry if I got you in trouble."

As Melissa walked away, Jennifer smiled somewhat sadly. Conflict within families was something Jennifer understood. Silently, she wished Melissa the best of luck.

Then Jennifer turned and started back towards her home. It wasn't that late, but she didn't have anything else to do. Even with its sudden ending, her meeting with Melissa had helped her feel better than any solitary walk ever could have.

(Jennifer Perez continued in Lunch Line)

Return to “Sunset Cinema”