Youth and Beauty Brigade

As students move away from the residential area, they will find a large coastline and a long section of beach. Lining the coastline is an area of small rocks that form a layer that students will have to cross before they reach the beach itself. The sand is wet and grainy, studded with rocks and seashells with occasional pieces of driftwood scattered across it. It is a peaceful place to sit and contemplate life - as well as death.
T-Fox†

Post by T-Fox† »

The sunrise had come and gone. Colin had nodded off once or twice over the course of the night, but as much was to be expected. Beyond these momentary lapses in consciousness, he had kept a vigil eye on his charge for the night.

Unfortunately, one of those sessions of sleep happened to come about right as Jacob began to stir.

Just as Colin's eyes closed, Jacob's opened, giving him ample time to let the gears turn in his head, before finally speaking his first 'sane' sentence; if any mindset on this island could be considered sane anymore. Really, those who lost their minds were insane for well... being insane. Those who held their sanity from before... Were they insane for being able to handle the drama and the stress of this sadistic game?

"...anyone got some water?"

It was enough to wake the boy with a start. "Huh?" His head snapped to attention as he looked around, obviously startled by the first break of the silence.

"Oh. Y-Yeah. Here, hang on."

He quickly rolled to the side from his seated position, reaching for his backpack and rifling through it's contents, finally retrieving a bottle of water. Even though these resources were in such short supply, Jacob still obviously needed the cool refreshment that this one remnant of the civilized world could offer. "Here."

"I'm glad you're alright. We were seriously worried about you after that yesterday." A quick glance over him indicated that his idea had worked and while they might not be the most comfortable things in the world for him, at least his clothes had dried off.

His hands idly played with each other, thumbs locked in a war. His head dipped to the sand, and then to Tim, almost as if he was asking his approval.

"So... How are you holding up? I mean... No one's doing well on the island, but..."

He sighed. This was going to be the most awkward question he had ever asked.

"I... You... Were Paige's boyfriend, weren't you? I'm so sorry..." He had no idea what to day. Colin honestly couldn't fathom that level of despair as to want to take your own life. But in a way, he could sympathize. Granted he was the one that had taken the life, but still the amount of grief that Tony's passing before his very eyes... at his very hand, brought him so much pain. Not that he would ever mention that. It would just make him seem like more of a jackass to Jacob.

He shook his head, unable to think of what to say next. The awkward silence permeated every single nook and cranny of the landscape. He had saved a life, but really, had he done good? He just couldn't tell the difference anymore. Would it have been more merciful to have just let him die? If that were the case, it would have weighed on his consciousness more than the burden of murder already did. By all means he should have been proud he helped to save a life. But what fucked up reality did he bring him back to? A guarantee of death, not guaranteed to be as swift or painless?

His eyes focused solely on the ground, unable to make himself feel worthy of eye contact. In the heat of the moment he had forgotten the pain that killing had brought. But every time he thought, the train of thought seemed to lead him back to that singular event, and to question every little thing about himself. What other option had there been though? He wouldn't have lived anyways... "Better not to think about it..."

With that quick, soft muttering under his breath, he made every effort to focus on the situation at hand.

"How's your leg feeling this morning?"
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler T-Fox. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
ZombiexCreame†

Post by ZombiexCreame† »

Hours passed and yet Tim didn't sleep a wink. He didn't even nod off like Colin. He wouldn't say that he was too scared to sleep, but that lingering feeling that reeked of bad idea enticed his brain into a fully-awake state. He wouldn't be able to sleep a wink whilst on this island inhabited by killers and classmates alike. Instead, he spent ample time on staring into the fire, watching the sea rush to shore, and tracing shapes in the sand beneath him. Jacob proceeded to stay passed out for quite awhile, and Colin seemed content on keeping an eye on Jacob, so Tim occupied his time with staring and occasionally building sand castles. It helped the time pass when he wasn't focused on watching for signs of life.

But no one came. The hours passed quietly and uneventfully. Tim sighed and stared down at his gun. His defense. His ticket to living a little longer in dire situations. It was a tool that changed situations for the better and for the worst. Hell, Tim hadn't even used the thing yet, and someone was already dead over it. With a shake of his head, Tim placed the gun in the sand beside him and made sure the safety was off. He also made sure the gun was in far-reach from Jacob. He didn't want the boy to get any ideas.. It would make Tim feel terrible, as selfish as that was.

A voice scratched its way through the dull silence of crackling fire and lapping waves. Water.. Tim, just like Colin, immediately went to grab a water bottle, but Colin was a bit quicker. He handed off the water to Jacob and began to speak to him. Tim stayed quiet for a moment, merely listening, but he decided it would be best to say his piece.

Rubbing his neck, Tim said, "Yeah, I was pretty worried too. I really apologize about dragging you to shore like that. I wasn't trying to be rude or anything, but.." He shook his head. The words failed him. As an after-thought, he added, "Well, I hope my sleeping bag wasn't too uncomfortable. It's pretty old. I've had it since fourth grade, and.. I guess it's better than sleeping on the sand, right?" He offered an apprehensive smile.

Colin asked a few questions, and an awkward silence sunk in. Tim added to that awkward-ness by saying a whole lot of nothing. He felt exactly the same way. What else should you say in such a situation? There wasn't much one could say that would do justice to any feeling or emotion. Tim mostly stayed quiet and decided, after a fairly long silence, that he would spend this moment eating a few bites. A growl had just emerged from the pit of his stomach, and he desperately wanted something to eat. The thought of only having enough for a short amount of time was enough to keep him from gorging on the rations like a typical teenaged boy, but he couldn't hold back the gurgling monster that was his stomach.

He pulled out a loaf of bread from his bag and broke it in half, delicately biting into the bread. It was slightly stale from the exposure, but it wasn't bad. There wasn't mold on it or any-.. Fuck. What the hell? There were small specks of mold on the underside of the bread. Was this a sick joke? Had the henchmen of that Mr. Danya planted old bread in his bag as a joke? With a shake of his head, Tim pinched the moldy parts off his food and proceeded to eat the rest with complaint. Who the hell cared about moldy bread when there were much greater things to worry and stress over?

After washing down his bread with a few gulps of water, Tim replaced the rations and motioned to the distance with his head. "If your leg feels okay, I think we should head out soon. We've been burning this fire for awhile now.. Someone has probably seen the smoke." He looked down at the small embers that remained. In just a short while, the fire would be completely out. "I know we're not exactly fully rested or anything, but.. Close enough, right? We shouldn't stay out in the open." Tim stood up to stretch, reaching down to touch his toes. He let out a loud yawn as he popped back up and stretched skyward.

He paused and examined Colin and Jacob. Shit. He was probably jumping the gun here. Who was to say that Jacob was even in any condition to move around? Maybe his leg was bad-off. What if Jacob didn't even want to tag along? Jacob could very well still be downright pissed with him. Tim quickly added, "I mean, we don't have to head out now. Just.. later.. should be in our best interests.." He muttered this, turning slightly red. He was tempted to apologize to Jacob again.

He wasn't sure how Jacob was feeling at all. Probably terrible. Probably not ready to just get up and join two strange boys he'd never met. Tim sighed and sunk back down to the sand. That awkward silence reared its ugly head once again.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler ZombiexCreame. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Brackie

Post by Brackie »

Jacob's voice was hoarse, foreign to him. He didn't realize they didn't know he was awake, and he'd probably scared them a bit. Yeah, just a bit. No matter the fact that he'd probably scared them shitless with his attempt at suicide...how long ago was it?

Colin fumbled, and he got his bottle of water. Finally, refreshment.

He downed it in large, loud gulps, not really caring at that point whether he choked or not. It's not like it would kill him.

And then, the conversation started. These people were no longer just random civilians to his own little worries, he had two probably still stressed and freaked out boys to answer to.

They'd...they saved him. He was in their debt now, he realised that. They'd saved him twice, actually, and owed him a lot more than what he thought at first. They stopped him from killing himself, they...glancing down his figure, he spotted his torn open jeans leg, afresh with a new bandage. He felt the metal slug still in his leg, and something stopped him from asking why they didn't take it out. It was just freaking rude to do that to your saviors.

"...yeah, it's...its okay. Thanks." Jacob replied to Tim's question. It was just like he'd been given a whole new slate to work with, with nothing to his name. Was he going to have to take their food as well?

The little hook in his skin that kept tugging at him, to never forget her, started to relax. Colin knew, he couldn't not know now. He'd lent his apologies to him, just like a normal person. It still egged at the back of his mind that there was something that Colin was hiding. He didn't expect Colin to wear a name tag that read "COLIN FALCONE - KILLER", but...

...why was he thinking like some vigilante who wanted to persecute the wrong? This wasn't him. He wasn't supposed to think like this. Jacob Charles wasn't supposed to be in this situation, none of them were. It was stupid to think like that as well, vehemently denying all the truths that were shoved in front of him.

What was so wrong with him that he couldn't just cope like a normal person?

Colin against spoke, as did Tim. His leg, the one they'd worked on over the night. Was it hurting? Jacob rubbed his tongue against his left canine tooth, and leaned forward to touch the bandage. Not much pain, really, it still hurt, but he supposed he was lucky that he wasn't bleeding like a freaking madman. How did Schwarzenegger make it look so easy to walk around riddled with metal like he did?

"I'm okay, I think. It's...it's hurting, but it's not...I think I can walk on it, I suppose."

Jacob wasn't really sure whether he wanted to try and walk. Shaking his head just a little bit, he pulled his legs in closer, and tried to get up.

A little stumble as his feet moved themselves from the sleeping bag to the unfamiliar texture of the sand. A stumble more as his leg twanged with a sting, and then...balance.

He could walk, and he was ready for the island now.

But...instead of moving on his feet anymore, he turned around to the two boys sitting at the fire, and got down in a sitting position again.

Eating some humble pie was good just about now.

"I'm...I'm sorry guys. I just...Paige...she was everything I had. When I woke up here, I dunno how long ago now, but...I promised I would find her. I searched, and I searched, and then...she was there, she was right there. We were...I promised her that...we'd get off of here, we'd find our friends, we'd get..." Jacob slipped his fingers into his pocket, and pulled out the ring he'd been given on the small runner's deathbed "We'd get married. I got this, right before the trip. We were gonna get married, we'd leave Bayview, our friends, our families, and we'd...we'd be together forever."

Why are you telling them this? Do they care? What's the point in thinking about the past?

"And then...Rob Jenkins. She...I think she was so tired, so...she got angry. She used to tell me stuff about him, and then, she...I don't think she knew he had a gun. She...she called him a Nazi, and then...and..." Jacob trembled before he could continue. Instead of looking them in the eye any more, he hung his head between his knees.

"I should have stopped her. If I'd just grabbed her, stopped her from yelling, she'd be alive."
[+] The Island
V4: G069 - Clio Gabriella: Hold me closer, tiny dancer; count the headlights on the highway to hell.
V4: G083 - Paige Strand: Feelings don't try to hurt you, even the painful ones. You're responsible for all of the damn consequences.
V4: B118 - Jacob Charles: Every grieving heart has screamed at one time or another 'why can't you just let me die?'
V4: G114 - Aston Bennett: A woman who desires revenge must dig three graves.
V4: B108 - Ma'afu Tuigamala: Most men would rather forget a hard truth than face it.
V5: G015 - Janie Sinneave: Every human being must find her own way to cope with the impossible, and the only job of a true friend is to facilitate whatever method she doesn't choose.
V6: B018 - Maxim Kehlenbrink: Too much self-centered attitude brings isolation. Result: loneliness, fear, anger, and a hammer to the skull.
V7: G044 - Mikki Swift: It takes 18 years to build a reputation and a minute to ruin it.
V7: G070 - Jessica Rennes: Despair is our chance to wrestle with water and fall through.
V7: G075 - Aditi Sharma: She can still scream that rebel yell, just as loud as it was in 2005.
[+] Home
V4: B042 - Brendan Wallace: History has a way of repeating itself for years to come.
Meanwhile...
v5 - Penny Huang: Good girls can make bad decisions.
v5 - Jasper Rourke: Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are, "what could have been".
v7 - Gaelan Meloy: And nothing matters.
v7 - Jordan Brankovich: Rethinking it all.
v7 - Kayden Brockman: Not done yet.
v7 - Ji-hyun Christensen: Just getting started.
[+] Remind Me Tomorrow
Destiny Martinez will live fast and die faster.
Aidan Winston is going to let you know you're not solving anything.
Lara Rodriguez thinks you should keep your opinion on her to yourself.
Peyton Hoffman isn't fond of the PC Police ruining everything.
Lindsey Sewall wants to make sure you drank water today you stupid bitch.
Luke Travers needs to have a code.
I'm hosting a SOTF!
SOTF: International
Applications Open Now!
T-Fox†

Post by T-Fox† »

Colin let out a soft sigh. Thankfully for him, Jacob broke the awkward silence for the trio.

"...yeah, it's...its okay. Thanks."

"Good to hear it." Tim suggested that they get moving if he was okay to walk, and frankly Colin agreed. They had been sitting here for almost a full 24 hours. Thankfully other than Jacob not another soul wandered to the beach in that time, but how long could their luck hold out? After all, they were on an island meant for killing.

Colin glanced around the beach. It was getting towards the twilight hours again and the fire was slowly burining down to it's embers, leaving a beautiful glow off the pearly white sand of this beach.

He could definitely see himself forgetting surrounded by this beauty. But it was all a facade. What had just happened to Jacob... what was barely prevented was proof of that.

Speaking of Jacob... Colin glanced over to their new companion. He was standing; that was indoubtedly a good thing. However curiously, he sat back down after appearing like he was ready to leave now. And his visage contorted into pain as the boy brough back forth memories of the one who had passed.

"I'm...I'm sorry guys. I just...Paige...she was everything I had. When I woke up here, I dunno how long ago now, but...I promised I would find her. I searched, and I searched, and then...she was there, she was right there. We were...I promised her that...we'd get off of here, we'd find our friends, we'd get..."

Colin watched him pull a small ring box out of seemingly nowhere, and his heart sank even more than it had already. He was... Oh god... His head fell as he tried to comprehend the pain of losing someone... someone like that.

"We'd get married. I got this, right before the trip. We were gonna get married, we'd leave Bayview, our friends, our families, and we'd...we'd be together forever."

He just softly nodded, turning his eyes back to Jacob. He wasn't quite sure why Jacob was telling them all of this, but he was glad on a level. It was unprovoked, he hadn't attempted to pry it. He wanted someone to talk to, someone to sympathize with, and he trusted them. Unwilling to interupt, he stayed silent, his eyes meeting his again for just a moment.

"And then...Rob Jenkins. She...I think she was so tired, so...she got angry. She used to tell me stuff about him, and then, she...I don't think she knew he had a gun. She...she called him a Nazi, and then...and..."

His eyes went wide as he watched his fall to the ground. He bit his lower lip, trying to think of something, anything to say. A hand wandered to his hair, awkwardly running through it in an effort to show some form of response; yet failing in it's goal.

After a brief moment, Jacob spoke again.

"I should have stopped her. If I'd just grabbed her, stopped her from yelling, she'd be alive."

"No... Don't blame yourself. You... neither of you could have known that he had a gun..." He tried to rationalize away Jacob's guilt. An immediate human reaction.

And then he thought back to himself not 24 hours ago. No logic in the world would wipe away that guilt, that pain. Nothing that any of his friends from either Bayview or backhome could say would have helped. Those wounds would close with time. As Colin thought of Tony once more he felt a sinking in the pit of his stomach, but no more tears fell.

"I... I think I kind of know how you feel. And I seriously owe you an explanation anyways..."

Let Jacob know he wasn't alone.

"I'm sure you heard my name the other day..."

He offered you that explanation. Now it's time to tell your story.

This was going to suck.

"T...Tony kind of rushed Tim and I in the tunnel." His chest hurt from even thinking about it in such detail again. "I... I didn't even know what I was doing, it was almost like I wasn't really there. But I... I thought he was going to kill Tim... So out of reaction when he tackled Tim, I swung my Axe." He sighed, his own eyes drilling into the sand. "H-He was hurt so badly... I hadn't wanted it. Apparently he just wanted to get rid of our weapons so we couldn't use them... He was such a good person, he didn't deserve to die. But... He couldn't move. I had to... I had to help him..."

He refused to make eye contact with Jacob. "I don't think I stopped crying for almost a day. It was right when I woke up... I..."

He trailed off, unsure of what to say. He had talked himself into a corner.

He almost hoped that Jacob would leave, or kill him on the spot. He wasn't strong enough for this crap. He just wanted to go home.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler T-Fox. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
ZombiexCreame†

Post by ZombiexCreame† »

Tim seemed quite relieved that Jacob thanked him, and after a moment's pause, even supposed that he could walk on his injured leg. Tim smiled slightly and realized that everything was going to be okay. Jacob was much more calmed down than yesterday, and his leg definitely seemed out of the danger zone. Maybe Colin and Tim just gained themselves a new ally? This boy seemed nice enough, if not a little emotionally unstable. Then again, Tim supposed everyone's emotions were a little whack on the island.

He wasn't prepared for Jacob to try to stand, and Tim immediately held out his hands. "Whoa, wait-" But it seemed to be okay. The boy succeeded in maintaining balance, so Tim said no more. Just as he thought, everything would be okay. He returned to a seating position and went on to apologize and explain everything. Tim listened patiently, his hands resting on his knees.

It was heart-wrenching, that was for sure. Tim bit his lip and stared at Jacob with a very sympathetic look on his face. It was sad. It was so damn sad that two people, so in love with each other, had to be forced apart by some angry guy with a gun. He mentally noted that this 'Rob Jenkins' was someone to watch out for. Did he know the guy? Probably seen him once or twice, but a face wasn't coming to mind. Regardless...

"I'm really sorry about Paige, Jacob. It's.. this island, this game.. it's tearing everything to pieces." He paused. He wanted to add something like, 'At least she's in a better place', or 'at least she wouldn't have to experience anymore of this hellish game,' but he thought it wouldn't go over well. Maybe there is no heavenly life after death. And surely Jacob would rather have Paige alive than dead.

But everyone had to die. Everyone other than one lucky bastard, of course. That lucky person, the fittest in this game of survival, would get one prize that no one else would -- life. And would it even be worth it after everyone in your senior class was dead? After everyone you ever knew and loved, gone in the matter of a week or two?

"Don't think about the 'ifs.' It's not your fault. That Rob guy is the one who shot her." He would have added more, but everything else that he relayed in his mind just sounded tasteless. He looked over at Colin and listened as his friend also added something comforting. Tim nodded, looked back at Jacob and said, "Exactly."

Thank God Colin was here. Tim wasn't sure what he would have done if he was forced to deal with Jacob alone.

Tim's heart dropped as Colin opened his mouth and started to talk about what happened back in the tunnels. "C-Colin, y-you.." he stuttered, but it was too late. He was deep in his tale of Tony's untimely death. He hung his head and resisted the urge to plug his ears and go 'Lalalalala I CAN'T HEAAR YOU,' because that's what he wanted to do.

"You didn't have to say anything, Colin," Tim stated, looking over at Jacob with a look that said, 'it's not his fault, so don't try anything funny or throw accusations.' Or.. that's what he thought his look conveyed, anyway. "Besides, I don't want to open an old can of worms here, but I surely doubt Tony.." He paused and shook his head. Didn't want to say it. Didn't want to upset Colin and say anything that seemed slightly off-color. It wasn't the time to discuss the past anyway. It was gone and over.

Tim instinctively picked up his gun from the grass and tucked it into the waistband of his jeans. Tony had to die for this thing, so he figured he'd keep it safe.

Tim looked at Colin and Jacob. He felt bad. Both the boys had been through such traumatizing situations. Colin had to kill and Jacob had to watch his beloved die right in front of him. Tim had been spared the pain of watching Colin kill Tony, so, as it presently stood, Tim hadn't seen a single scarring thing. He felt weird, like he should have some emotional story to tell.

But he didn't. He was just plain old Tim, like usual. That would never change.

Tim stood up and grabbed his stuff, throwing his bag over his shoulder. "I'm ready to go whenever you guys are. Just say the word." He was trying to usher Colin and Jacob along, trying to get them to stop telling such somber and depressing stories. He wanted to keep going. He wanted everyone to stop looking back and thinking 'If, if, if'.

But the past was all they had because there wasn't much of a future left. It was something that Tim had yet to realize.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler ZombiexCreame. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Brackie

Post by Brackie »

It turned out that Jacob was right in his suspicions. They weren't really suspicions more than pieces of knowledge that required some correct application, but it was...a feeling that he couldn't really describe to get some confirmation that the people he was now sharing residence with weren't hardened killers, nor conspirators who rightfully set out to decieve Jacob. It was just an accident. It couldn't have been as clear cut as that in reality, obviously, since he knew that people weren't as simple as books made them out to be. Tony had motivation. Colin had motivation. Tim also shared the same motivation as Colin, and...this was the same motivation that saved him from killing himself all that time ago. How long was it ago, really?

But Tim was right. There was no point focusing on the 'if's'. It was all about the here and now, and the situation, here and now, was that Jacob was being silent in a time which desperately required a voice.

"..."

Jacob really tried to come up with something on his first try, but all that came up was a cough, a wheeze. Second time was the charm though.

"...if that's what happened, Colin...then I can't see any reason why it's your fault. If...you couldn't have known what was going to happen, then I don't see how you can blame yours-"

...damn, Colin was good.

Paige was dead. Acceptance was the first stage to recovery. And it was the last stage of grief, he'd rocketed through those the moment the bang registered in his eardrums. If he could get past the grief, and just remain a mourner until God sorted them all out, as the saying went, then...he could survive here, really.

It would be an existance, a survival. But a life? He'd have to work on that from the bottom up.

Managing a weak smile at Colin, he stood up, the familiar twang still twanging away.

"...you guys are all I have now. My friend's out there somewhere, and if I know him, I know he's not dead. I haven't died, so he knows the same for me. If we can find him, find our group of friends..." Jacob started, before trying his best to forget that Reiko was still technically his friend, killer/murderer or not "And then...and then I suppose we can work it out from there, however it goes, I s'pose."

The waves weren't registering as a sound anymore, but they were becoming part of him, part of his ears. This was something he had to resolve.

"I dunno how long you guys have been here, but I reckon this beach's seen enough of my ugly mug for the last day or whatever. I...I dunno if it's still there, but I left my bag in the town. My stuff's probably gone, but...well, I don't think you'd wanna share your stuff with me for the next week or so, I'm a big eater. So you've got maps, don't you? You lead, and I'll follow."

Trying his best to work up his signature cocky smile, he picked up his cap from the sand, adjusted it so it faced forward on his head, and dropped a little something from his pocked into a small hole he'd been drilling with his foot, backwards and forwards.

"That sounds like the word, doesn't it?" Colin directed towards Tim. His words didn't accurately reflect the tone of his voice, still trying to find its way up through his throat like a worm trying to burry it's way out of the ground. He meant to try and put on a show of confidence, but what came up instead was a show of mild fake enthusiasm, as transparent as a glass of water.

Still, at least they'd know he was okay. Mourning, but okay.
[+] The Island
V4: G069 - Clio Gabriella: Hold me closer, tiny dancer; count the headlights on the highway to hell.
V4: G083 - Paige Strand: Feelings don't try to hurt you, even the painful ones. You're responsible for all of the damn consequences.
V4: B118 - Jacob Charles: Every grieving heart has screamed at one time or another 'why can't you just let me die?'
V4: B108 - Ma'afu Tuigamala: Most men would rather forget a hard truth than face it.
V5: G015 - Janie Sinneave: Every human being must find her own way to cope with the impossible, and the only job of a true friend is to facilitate whatever method she doesn't choose.
V6: B018 - Maxim Kehlenbrink: Too much self-centered attitude brings isolation. Result: loneliness, fear, anger, and a hammer to the skull.
V7: G044 - Mikki Swift: It takes 18 years to build a reputation and a minute to ruin it.
V7: G070 - Jessica Rennes: Despair is our chance to wrestle with water and fall through.
V7: G075 - Aditi Sharma: She can still scream that rebel yell, just as loud as it was in 2005.
[+] Home
V4: B042 - Brendan Wallace: History has a way of repeating itself for years to come.
Meanwhile...
v5 - Jasper Rourke: Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are, "what could have been".
[+] Remind Me Tomorrow
I'm hosting a SOTF!
Applications Open Now!
T-Fox†

Post by T-Fox† »

The moments felt like minutes as he waited through the silence after telling his tale of woe and misery. His head hung in the air, his ears about literally perking up as he heard Jacob's breath, and then his voice.

"...if that's what happened, Colin...then I can't see any reason why it's your fault. If...you couldn't have known what was going to happen, then I don't see how you can blame yours-"

And then he suddenly stopped. Jacob may have thought that Colin had done what he had done intentionally, the pause honestly just serving to confuse the boy. His head turned as he looked up at their new companion, as he sat, looking contemplative. Was he second guessing his original statement? Please no.

"I'm ready to go whenever you guys are. Just say the word."

The break in the tension was welcome, to say the least. Colin offered a quick, single nod, standing and grabbing beginning to gather his things in silence, just wondering what was going through Jacob's head. Thankfully, that question would be answered relatively quickly. No longer did it take Jacob to speak up again than it had taken him to begin pulling his clothing from the night before off the makeshift drier that they had created from the embers and the coals.

"...you guys are all I have now. My friend's out there somewhere, and if I know him, I know he's not dead. I haven't died, so he knows the same for me. If we can find him, find our group of friends... and then... and then I suppose we can work it out from there, however it goes, I s'pose."

He smiled. I guess that means he didn't change his mind. A validation from someone who he didn't think just might feel obligated to make him feel better. As much as he valued Tim and his friendship, the pair had been close friends for the better part of a year now. His words had been extremely comforting, but somewhere in the back of Colin's mind, there was a thought that Tim may just want to make him feel better. That he did blame Colin. Having told his story to someone who had no ties, and their confirmation all but washed away guilt within him.

Damn, the world had to move on fast on this island. Sorrows and feelings that anywhere else would take months, or years even to move past and forget were flashing by in a matter of hours. Not that the feelings were any less real, but it almost seemed as if the island had detached itself from true time. Relationships that lasted years and decades dissolving in days. Killing, accidents... So much happening so fast. It was more than anyone could handle.

"I dunno how long you guys have been here, but I reckon this beach's seen enough of my ugly mug for the last day or whatever. I...I dunno if it's still there, but I left my bag in the town. My stuff's probably gone, but...well, I don't think you'd wanna share your stuff with me for the next week or so, I'm a big eater. So you've got maps, don't you? You lead, and I'll follow."

At least that was a plan. Some direction, some purpose. They had been here for two days after all. And frankly, Colin was starving. There was very little bread left in his own backpack. Just one question remained on his mind.

"Jacob... Are you sure you can make it that far on that leg?" He shook his head, pulling out the map and running a finger over it. It would be a little while yet until the danger zones were announced, and honestly, he figured it would be best to cover as much ground as possible before that speaker crackled to life again.

"Sounds good. If we head this way..." His finger on the map raised to point in a direction, about the way from which Jacob came. "...we can avoid most of the places that likely have people. I say we start now, make a pit stop here..." Back to the map with his finger. "...at the warehouses, and then double back around to the residential district." The last thing Colin wanted was to encounter anyone.

No more chance of killing. He wouldn't make that same mistake twice.

Slowly finishing up packing the few belongings that he still had, he nodded. "Alright, let's do this. Everyone ready?"

((Colin Falcone continued in Stay Frosty.))
ZombiexCreame†

Post by ZombiexCreame† »

Tim was relieved that Jacob didn't react harshly to Colin's incident with Tony. He figured that it would be pretty easy to grow paranoid over someone else's kill. Other than what that Mr. Danya said over the daily announcements, it was no telling what had really happened. Had it been an accident at all? Did something completely different happen? The only person that knew the truth was Danya (and his crew, of course), and, in his high-up position, he didn't even have to tell the truth if he didn't want to. He was the king of this castle.

Regardless, Jacob didn't try to shout or back away or flail wildly. He seemed to understand. Tim was happy with that reaction -- understanding. It was better than paranoid or on-edge.

Jacob mentioned something about finding his friends, so Tim nodded with enthusiasm and managed a small smile. It was good to hear Jacob talk about someone that wasn't Paige (and therefore, wasn't dead), so he figured everything was heading in the right direction. "Alright. We can keep an eye out for any of your friends. It would be nice to have a few more allies in our group. The more the merrier, huh?"

Jacob mentioned that he no longer had his stuff, so Tim nodded. "I haven't really eaten much of my rations, so I don't mind sharing. At least until we can find.. more." He shook his head, wondering what corpse they would have to take rations from. That was the only way to secure more food, right? Taking it from a dead student? Ugh. Tim lost even more of his appetite, but his mind was whipped into another direction. Colin was speaking, asking Jacob if he could make it far on that leg. Tim didn't bother to listen to Jacob's response, as it didn't matter much if he could make it far. It wasn't like they were going to stay on this damn beach any longer, and if Jacob wanted to rest every once in awhile, it wasn't like Colin or Tim would deny him that rest. They weren't sadists.

Colin seemed to have a traveling plan as he looked at his map. Tim nodded in agreement and started walking in the direction that Colin had indicated -- the direction that Jacob had came from. "I'm ready. Let's go!"

Tim didn't bother to ask why Colin wanted to avoid people. How would they form a nice, safe group if they were avoiding people? But he just figured that Colin was afraid to run into killers. As were most people, of course, but Tim thought that avoiding people would just deprive them of allies. But did they need anyone else? Did they need another person in their small group that they didn't know very well? Someone that could stab in their backs or steal their rations when they weren't looking? Tim glanced back at Colin and Jacob. Colin being his current best friend (Tim had other friends, but they were mostly younger than him, and thus, safe. And seeing as he'd most likely never see them again, Colin was now his closest friend). And then there was a Jacob. Jacob seemed like a very decent guy, he'd never hurt them. Tim trusted him even though he'd only been with the guy for a few days. But if he could trust these two, could he trust anyone else?

Tim was sure he'd figure out where his trust lied eventually.

((Timothy Questiare continued in Stay Frosty))
Brackie

Post by Brackie »

Colin and Tim's worries were the most welcoming part of the whole experience. He was finally getting back on his feet again, after...after everything. He made a plan, he simply put it out there for both of them to hear, and now he had hope, promise, something to look forward to.

As the group started heading off in the general direction of the warehouses, or wherever they seemed to need to go, Jacob stopped. There was one more thing he needed to do.

Turning around in the sand, he walked back to the exact spot he was sitting, when he let it all out. Underneath his foot, or where his foot stood, was a hole in the ground. A small hole, dug by a human foot mindlessly drilling away beneath him. A hole which now held a remnant, a little reminder, of the things he'd never get back again.

His love.

His marriage.

His happiness, his true happiness, to be precise.

With his hands, these were buried beneath a few layers of sediment, and his eyes shut again. Jacob leaned forward and pressed his head to the sand.

Everything he remembered thinking was coming back now.

Fuck his dad. He never cared about Paige anyway, thought she was a waste of time.

Fuck other people. They were gonna bring him down. If they weren't on first-name basis, they were nothing.

Fuck the view. It was that view and that view along which tugged him back into his harsh reality, and if he didn't need it, he didn't need it.

Fuck the island. He could look forever, and he'd probably never find Paige again. The island had swallowed her up, taken her from his grasp.

Fuck his friends. Fuck, his friends, they were all the reason he had left now. If he tried to stay on his own, or tried to find something else, he wouldn't make it past the next day.

Fuck everyone around him. The people around him were the reason he was now short a life. It wasn't Danya, it was them. Unless Danya squeezed his fat, ugly hands around their throats, then he wasn't responsible for ending their lives, it was the people he used to think of as a safe haven.

Fuck the game. Fuck this whole thing, the only thing in his life he couldn't win. Any game he partook in was easy pickings, since he was a huge hulking motherfucker who didn't even have the brainpower to know when to quit. But this game was taking everything away from him, not just his life, but his ability to think properly about what he needed to do.

Fuck the ocean. A wall of water, trapping them all. It was a prison, it was something he never wanted to see, a wall of water. It wasn't a literal wall, that would be dangerous, but it was the same in theory as well as practice. A wall. Water. It...Maybe if he was literally as close to dying as he was last time, he could come back here. Just to scream to the ocean one last time.

Fuck Danya. No matter what, he had to get whatever the hell was coming to him. Jacob would never be able to do it, but somebody had to. If someone could just end him, or even get near him just fast enough to break his neck, make him hurt...

Fuck everything in the whole world. Everything in the world was not what was waiting for Jacob Charles after these precious few moments. This island, this fucking island, was all that was waiting for him.

Paige was gone.

But a new existence spread out in front of him. An existence that relied on making sure that somebody who deserved to live, someone who had everything to live for, made it out of here.

He lifted his head from the sand, and opened his eyes.

"Goodbye Paige."

Lifting himself from the sand, he started off fast after the two boys, probably wondering what he was up to.

I love you Paige, and I always will. You'll be in my heart for the rest of my life.

Rest in peace.

((Jacob Charles continued in Stay Frosty))

[[THREAD CONCLUDED]]
[+] The Island
[+] Home
Meanwhile...
[+] Remind Me Tomorrow
I'm hosting a SOTF!
Applications Open Now!

Return to “The Beach: North”