Clap For The Killers

Logan and Daisuke Day 2 Start; Open

The sawmill was the backbone of the island's infrastructure and as such, is very large; complete with a small series of bunkhouses for employees to live in as well as a small mess hall to provide food. Next to the main building are three logging trucks for delivering the wood, while they have no gas inside of them they still provide excellent cover. Inside the sawmill are many devices used to treat the wood and prepare it for shipping. The machines show some signs of use and there is still a thick layer of sawdust, but the blades aren't liable to move as the power has been shut off.
Chib†

Post by Chib† »

Silence hung heavy in the air. Logan scratched the side of his head, awkwardness showing rather strongly. Daisuke seemed to be thinking about it, but for all Logan knew, he could just be in a stunned silence, or trying to decide whether Logan was being honest, or just looking out for himself - sure, Logan didn't lie, but not everybody knew that.

"No"

Not the answer Logan had been anticipating, but not particularly unexpected either.

"I'm sick of just waiting for everyone else to solve my problems. It's time I actually did something right for a change. Besides, what kind of person would I be if I just sat back and let you do all the hard work?"

Sigh. Of. Fucking. Relief.

Speaking of not lieing, Logan certainly hadn't been when he said he didn't want to fight Kris, that he didn't want to kill, or die. He liked to think that he would've been able to do it, but as luck would have it, just then wasn't his opportunity to find out the truth. Heroic semi-badass facade or not, the boy - having had time to think his plans through - absolutely dreaded having to actually live up to the challenge he'd set for himself.

"Follow me on three. If I get shot, you know what to do. Ready?"

Wait, what? Fuck, good point, just because Logan wasn't going to be holding the gun, didn't mean he wasn't going to take part. Maybe he wouldn't have to shoot anyone, but in retrospect, maybe being armed would still be preferable. Or it would just make him a more attractive target... he resolved just not not think about it so much. Roll with it, hope for the best, be ready for the worst.

Yeah, ready for the worst, that's a laugh. It was hard enough imagining putting a bullet through someone's head, but a steel spike on a stick? Even less palateable. He couldn't lie to himself, as much as he wanted to do so, if Kris started shooting, it was going to end badly.

He couldn't lie to Daisuke, either. "Of course I'm not ready, but do we have a choice? Let's just do it and hope for the best."

So hope for the best they did. After a count of three, Daisuke went out first, weapon raised. Logan picked up the hakapik from where it rested against the wall and followed, his left hand on the base of the handle, his right high along it near the head. In truth, he had no idea how it was meant to be used, so he just assumed it should work like a felling axe, just with a point instead of a blade. The morning glare had worn off, mostly, and Logan could quite plainly see that their target wasn't there.

"Fuck! We had her! We fucking HAD her, and I let her get away!"

2x sigh-of-fucking-relief combo. Armed and dangerous, probably unhinged girls not being around, quite a nice thing to see. On the flip side...

"And who the fuck are you!"

Someone else. Also armed. Probably drove Kris off... which means... shit.

"He's the guy that scared a double-murderer off, so I'd be very nice to him if I were you."
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Chib. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Stark†

Post by Stark† »

Someone had indeed been looking closely. R.J. didn't take his eyes off her for a second, but he lowered his gun, caught off guard by what he saw. She was... crying? How was that possible? Cold-blooded killers didn't shed tears. Did they?

Evidently, they do.

No. No, you know what? I'm getting tired of this. I've pointed my gun at this girl twice now, and both times she's run away. She's an emotional wreck, and Christ almighty, who here isn't that's lived long enough to get that chance? Regardless of what she's done, she's just a scared little girl who didn't deserve this. No one deserved this. Whether she's killed or not, not everything is black and white. We're just our own two shades of gray. We're... pretty much the same, aren't we? We're both scared, we both panicked and did things we know we shouldn't have done, we both regret it. All she wants is to be left alone. I should just respect that.

I wouldn't mind that myself, actually.

"Fuck! We had her! We fucking HAD her, and I let her get away!"

And apparently, this guy wouldn't mind it either. Not if his tone's any indicator.

"And who the fuck are you!?"

R.J. would have answered that himself, probably sarcastically, but the ground here didn't lend itself well to communication. Besides...

"He's the guy that scared a double-murderer off, so I'd be very nice to him if I were you."

...the guy's companion seemed to be handling the snappy remarks just fine. He gave the two an aside glance as he calmly tucked his weapon away, then walked off in whatever direction his feet happened to carry him. As he slipped away, back into the felled forest, he thought back to Eva, her lifeless body lying there on the forest floor. He began to shed tears of his own, brushing them away as they came.

Yeah... definitely not so different...

((R.J. Lowe continued in The Cries of the Voiceless))
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Stark. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Lawther†

Post by Lawther† »

"He's the guy that scared a double-murderer off, so I'd be very nice to him if I were you." Logan said snarkily. Daisuke couldn't help but grin at the remark. Logan was right, of course. This guy had made a double-murderer run off in fear. However,the guy didn't seem so concerned about the duo that now stood before him.

Daisuke watched as the guy calmly tucked his weapon away. Clearly he wasn't looking for a fight with them. He only seemed concerned about Kris, who was now completely out of sight way off in the distance. Daisuke was still somewhat wary of the guy, but felt that the sign of trust should be reciprocated.

With a knowing nod, Daisuke immediately clicked the safety on his gun once again and holstered it in his camo jacket's inside pocket. As he looked up once again, he offered his hand out to be shaken in an attempt to make plesentries with possibly one of the few seemingly calm residents of the island he'd met so far, but the guy had already begun to simply walk off.

"Hey? Where are you going?" Daisuke asked, but the guy didn't respond. Having chased off the killer in their mist, he seemed content to silently walk away. It made it seem like he was one of those legendary desperadoes that you only see in a movie, like Clint Eastwood or John Wayne. It wasn't long before he simply slipped away into the felled forest nearby as Daisuke watched on, silently in awe.

"Take care, guy." He said, giving their savior a casual salute of respect. If they ever met again, Daisuke would have to thank him.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Lawther. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Chib†

Post by Chib† »

Luckily, it seemed R.J. wasn't interested in replacing Kris as the local threat, and had even decided to put his weapon away. Daisuke followed suit, clicking on the safety of his handgun, and stashing it back in his jacket. Only Logan remained armed, unable to "put away" a pole at least half his own height; indeed, he wondered how it had even fit inside his pack on the first day. So he simply placed the business end of the hakapik on the ground, leaning on the blunt end of it's haft with one elbow. And then Lowe started walking away.

"Hey? Where are you going?"

For Logan, the answer to that seemed pretty obvious. R.J. probably came looking for Kris, and now she'd fled, he'd be going off after her. Presumably. He couldn't know for sure, since the young man had decided to ignore Daisuke's question, walking away in total silence, save for the fall of his feet.

"Take care, guy."

Well, at least Daisuke seemed impressed with him, enamoured, even. Not so much for the lanky one, who muttered a distasteful "Pff, asshole.". After lifting his weapon back into a more ready position, his right hand gripping near the piercing head once again, Logan looked over to his companion and declared "He was probably out to kill her anyway, so far as I know, makes him no better or worse."

He started the short journey back to the outhouse that had been his home for the night, meaning to gather up his meagre belongings, ready for whatever the day had in store next. On the way, he paused, calling over his shoulder "So now what? Do we go after them too, or...?".
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Chib. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Lawther†

Post by Lawther† »

"He was probably out to kill her anyway, so far as I know, makes him no better or worse." Logan said, looking towards Daisuke over his shoulder before he made his way back towards the bunkhouse to collect his things. Daisuke followed suit towards the bunkhouse, shrugging in agreement with Logan's assessment as he did so.

"So now what? Do we go after them too, or...? as he paused to wait for Dai to catch up.

The surge of confidence and adrenalin that had forced Daisuke to man up and charge out of the door still flowed through his veins. "We do what we gotta do man; Kill the Killers." he replied, as if were the most natural thing to do in the world. "We'll keep a lookout for friendly faces and watch out for the people on the list, or anyone who's suspicious. Who knows, maybe we'll find Kris again?"

Daisuke began walking again towards the bunkhouse they had previously spent the night in. Despite a lack of sleep, he had a spring in his step from his new lease on life. Nothing like thinking you're going to die and then living through it to start off your day. "Anyway, I don't really have any ideas. I'll follow your lead wherever you want to go."
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Lawther. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Chib†

Post by Chib† »

"We do what we gotta do man; Kill the Killers."

Fuck. So much for the sighs of relief. Logan had been worrying Daisuke would say that, particularly after his little speech earlier. Where Daisuke had found resolve, and was itching to get moving, to start dealing out vigilante justice, Logan had only found what he'd been hiding from himself the whole time. The truth, that he just wasn't ready for this yet. That he wasn't ready to kill another person, no matter what they'd done to deserve it. He wasn't a murderer, and he should have told Daisuke that from the second he realised it. But he'd kept it to himself out of neccesity, thinking it would help. How wrong he'd been. Hadn't he known all his life that deception never helps anything? Apparently not.

"Anyway, I don't really have any ideas. I'll follow your lead wherever you want to go."

Great, and now the onus was on him to decide their new objective. Logan couldn't even stick to the one he'd been stupid enough to establish the day before, and now he was expected to come up with means to achieve it. Great. "Guess it's about time I levelled with him, then..."

"Listen, Daisuke..." This was shaping up to be an awkward conversation, and it had barely started. "I think we should rethink things some. I mean, I know you're all excited now, but..." Yeah, really awkward. "I was wrong, yesterday. I can't do this. I'm not a killer."

There. He'd said it. Now he had to live with it. Unable to simply stand there before his companion - hopefully not soon to be ex-companion - Logan finished his journey to the bunkhouse, and made short work of packing his things away in his daypack. It was about then that he recalled that the terrorists usually left the victims' luggage with them as well. If Daisuke didn't take off alone, he made a mental note to bring that up... a trip to the tunnels to see if his stuff was still there was a reasonable enough goal, right? Shouldn't require hunting people down, at any rate.
Lawther†

Post by Lawther† »

"Listen, Daisuke..." Something was wrong. Daisuke could tell from the onset of the conversation that something was on Logan's mind, although Dai was sure he probably would not like what he was about to hear.

"I think we should rethink things some. I mean, I know you're all excited now, but..."

But what? Everything had seemed to be going well so far in Daisuke's mind. He finally maned up and proved his worth to their little team. He finally resolved to carry out the plan. What could possibly need rethinking?

"I was wrong, yesterday. I can't do this. I'm not a killer."

"Oh..." Daisuke said, somewhat surprised at his own disappointment towards Logan's decision. He paused in the middle of the path as Logan continued into the bunkhouse.

It was as if the wind had suddenly been taken out of his sails. The plan had given Daisuke an outlet for his feelings of anger and paranoia towards having been forced to participate in this bloodsport. He bought into the bravado of vigilantism hook, line, and sinker. He had convinced himself that it was the only right thing to do with his life now, and now the realization that he was willing to go to that place scared him.

But... what else is there? he asked himself. There was really no easy answer to the question. He could float around for days hoping to survive, but eventually the proactive players would catch up with him or he would starve to death, or he could play to win, the thought of which disgusted him. The only thing he could think to do was protect people from the players, but without knowing who was worth protecting, it was simply easier to just become an avenger.

Not wanting to get caught unaware for the second time in the day, Daisuke quickly made his way back into the bunkhouse. Logan was already packing up his things as Daisuke nervously made his way back inside. He'd already revealed himself as willing to kill, even if it was for a righteous cause. What if Logan thought he was crazy? What if he didn't trust him anymore? All of these questions had answers that Daisuke wasn't particularly excited to know

"So... what do we do now?" was the only thing Daisuke could think to ask that he honestly wanted to know the answer.
Chib†

Post by Chib† »

"Oh..."

An awkward silence descended. It continued, punctuated only by the sounds of packing up, while Logan and Daisuke made ready to move on. Minutes passed, neither spoke a word. Ordinarily, Logan would've made a sarcastic remark, broken the silence with a "Well this is a thrilling conversation...", but he hadn't the heart for it. The last few minutes had taken a toll on his bravado, and even he himself wasn't in the mood for his own snarky comments.

In a curious repetition of his actions just before the arrivals of Kris and R.J., Logan approached the open door. He would have left, but for even further déja-vu, he hovered to listen to Daisuke, who'd chosen the most coincidental time to speak up.

"So... what do we do now?"

The million dollar question, that was. If Logan had any idea what he actually wanted to do, he'd be in a much better mood. As it stood, he had no clue whatsoever. The realisation that he couldn't choose to kill had taken the strength from his previous resolve, and ruined the only plan he'd thought of. For the time being, the best he could think of was retrieving his bag from the tunnels.

"I honestly don't know. I'd like to get my stuff back from where we woke up, if I can find it. I'm pretty sure they leave it there, minus anything that kills or communicates. As for you... I'd feel safer with you around, but if you want to stick to the hunting thing, I won't blame you."

It didn't take radical honesty to admit that, really. Logan still liked the idea of pseudo-vigilante justice, he just couldn't go through with it himself. He already respected Daisuke a lot more than he did himself, for actually sticking to his conviction, but it was better to admit his folly than lie to both his companion and himself. Hiding his thoughts from Daisuke had been a mistake, he should've known better. Honesty is always the best policy. Logan was sure of that.

Assuming that Daisuke didn't need him to wait around to make up his mind, Logan left on that note. If he wanted, he could follow, or go off his own way. It didn't really matter, though Logan hadn't been exaggerating when he'd said he'd prefer Daisuke to stick around. Something very comforting about someone fairly-trustworthy being around, especially when they have a gun.

[Logan Reynolds --> Axes Aren't Efficient For Grinding/Day 3]
Lawther†

Post by Lawther† »

"I honestly don't know. I'd like to get my stuff back from where we woke up, if I can find it. I'm pretty sure they leave it there, minus anything that kills or communicates. As for you... I'd feel safer with you around, but if you want to stick to the hunting thing, I won't blame you."

Daisuke thought hard about his decision as Logan made his way out the door and into the unknown. He was convinced that hunting the players was the right thing to do, but Logan wasn't ready for it. It had been a hard decision for Daisuke to make. Killing wasn't something that just happened; it was a deliberate choice. It was a fucked up choice to have to make for anyone, but in his heart he felt the conviction that someone needed to make it. This game was sick and twisted and every bit as evil as he'd heard. Someone needed to remind the players that there were consequences for their evil deeds, and Logan had convinced him that they could be that someone.

However, Daisuke knew he couldn't do it alone. He needed help. He needed backup. But, beyond tracking down and asking 'the guy' to join the cause, he couldn't think of anyone else on the island that could help him.

One thing he knew for sure though was that he shouldn't abandon Logan just yet. He might not be willing to kill, but he was still a trustworthy companion. It would be hard for Daisuke to think of someone else he could trust more on this island, especially considering that he came into this game without any real friends to back him up. Now was certainly not the time to part ways, especially with Logan heading back to the tunnels to find his things. Maybe once they'd found a group worthy enough to be protected, Daisuke could slip away and do what was he deemed was necessary for their survival, but for now he would stick with Logan.

His decision made, Daisuke picked up his duffel bag and slung it over his shoulders as he headed off to follow Logan. He'd long since consolidated his personal effects into the bag for ease of travel, but he could sympathize with wanting to have a change of clothes or any of the comforts that they had brought along with them for the camping trip. For now, vengeance against the players that plagued the island would have to wait.

[[Daisuke Nagazawa Continued In Axes Aren't Efficient For Grinding / Thread Closed]]

Return to “The Sawmill”