Calculations

Making up most of the northern part of the island, the woods are deep and dark. Spreading second-growth trees, mainly fir and pine, block much of the light from reaching to the ferny undergrowth. Moss hangs thick from the branches, testament to the dank and moisture-laden air, while the occasional deer path shows that many animals still make this forest their home. These woods are those on the inland part of the island’s eastern side, and slowly angle upwards towards the island’s central mountain.
blastinus

Post by blastinus »

For a moment there, when Rashid had shouted at Harun to shoot her, Madeleine's heart had sank, and she had closed her eyes for the inevitable. Those eyes quickly snapped back open, however, when Harun suddenly went off on his friend, cursing him out for a number of offenses which had apparently transpired between them. The artist blinked in confusion, and at that moment, she noticed that Rosa had slipped off, either during the time when Maddy was begging for her life or a little while afterwards. While she was happy that Rosa was safe, it occurred to her that this meant that she was alone, in the middle of a forest, with a couple of properly paranoid men who appeared to be on the cusp of leaping at each others' throats, let alone hers.

I'm sorry gentlemen, but I can't let myself die that way.

And so, even though this probably would run counter to any attempts she had made to make herself trustworthy, Maddy took this opportunity to run as far away from the two men as she could. It was common sense, really. Even if Harun claimed that he trusted her, he wouldn't be comfortable putting his life into her hands. It was far better for everyone's sakes that she simply went elsewhere and attempted to hook up with someone who she knew would trust her. Even Vivien would do in this circumstance, though the thought of having to rely on him for the rest of the game did not seem appealing to her at all.

Got to find this Anna Chase person. If that man wanted me to find her, she'll probably be a safe person to ally myself with.

And how do you know that? Besides, even if she was a safe person when Whatsisname knew her, what's to say that she hasn't succumbed to suspicion and fear as well?

I have to believe that she hasn't. If everyone's insane or afraid, then I'm going to be dead sooner or later. Someone has to still be listening to reason on this island.

With those conflicting thoughts running through her mind, Maddy ran as far as her legs would carry her, with the uncomfortable realization that if nobody had a sane mind anymore, if everyone was eventually going to snap like that man who she had killed, then she would have to kill again, and again, and again, just so that she could survive. A part of her was relishing that thought, and her hand was itching to reach into that purse and grasp that weapon once more, but that was perhaps even worse. The idea of her getting used to murder, or maybe even enjoying it some day, terrified her more than the thought of dying.

(Madeleine Smith continued in Fuck.)
laZardo†

Post by laZardo† »

"Oh, shut the fuck up!"

Things had already started falling into place. Harun pointed the gun-blade at Rashid, estimating the impact spot to be somewhere around his vital organs. All he needed to do was fire, but no, he decided to add insult to the inevitable injury.

"Seriously, Rashid, we're trying to act all fucking maturely here, we're trying to NOT kill each other, but noooo, you want us to "start shooting already." Well, if you had a gun...oh wait. You don't. You just have fucking iodine pills. Seriously, man, I got enough fucking problems without you wanting to turn every situation into a fucking firefight." Harun taunted.

His friend didn't react. Not too outwardly, anyway. He let himself take in every last word, every last reminder of how useless he was and would be. He wished there was a gun in his bag that he somehow overlooked, but it wasn't there. Just him, facing down a gunblade with nothing but a bottle of iodine pills. And all his mind and emotions slowly getting the better of him.

"Seriously, Rashid, man...just keep your mouth shut if you ain't got anything intelligent to say. Just let me do the talking. You're my friend, but I don't think that gives you an excuse to get me killed."

It didn't. Rashid kept his mouth, jaw, and fists tightly clenched shut, the latter starting to tremble as Harun turned back to Madeleine. He played the reaction he figured he was going to give over and over in his head, all he needed was enough willpower to actually execute it.

"Right, sorry about that. I believe you. For now. Damn....Rosa's left. Probably because of you, Rashid."

The next thing Rashid knew he inexorably found himself running as fast as his own trembling legs would carry him, about the same time Madeleine started to flee. But rather than run away from the situation as the two girls had done, he instead noticed Harun getting closer, and closer. That didn't disturb Rashid in the very least, as the words had apparently pushed him over the mental brink he'd found himself either teetering over or merely clinging to over the last 48 hours. This left only his despair mixed in quite nicely with an irrational urge to take out his rage on someone.

Which would also explain why he had started screaming as he extended his arms outward, ready to smack and/or choke a bitch as he flung himself upon his gunblade-wielding 'friend.'
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler laZardo. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
General Goose

Post by General Goose »

((Any Godmodding from here approved))

Despite his reassurances to Maddy, she decided to run away unannounced while he was focused on Rashid. By the time Harun registered her leaving, she was already out of sight, and despite calling out her name half-heartedly once or twice, she didn't come back.

Absolutely fucking great.

There were three likely explanations for explaining why every girl Harun had met so far (with the possible exception of Mia) hadn't really seemed to trust him much: the people he'd encountered so far (aside from Rashid and Mia) had all become extremely paranoid already, Harun had suddenly become a lot more unintentionally intimidating and untrustworthy since arriving on the island, or Rashid was just scaring people off with his idiocy. Or a mixture of all three. To be honest, two fairly tall loud-mouthed young Muslim males were hardly on the top of many people's lists to trust in a terrorist situation (bloody stereotypes; people who sincerely believed they were all true were one of Harun's pet peeves), but that still didn't make it any less irritating.

Still, a few unlucky incidents shouldn't damper his spirits. No-one had killed him yet, which was a good sign. Dying sounded really depressing, to say the least. He'd had the fortune of waking up near Rashid, a guy he knew quite well and could trust, despite his impulsiveness and boisterous nature, and he just had to find some of his friends....the guys from the activist club would be his best bet. He got on with them fine for the most part, and they were some of the most likely candidates for a successful escape plot.

However, what Harun hadn't taken into consideration while doing some on-the-spot planning was the fact that Rashid was now running at him, with an intent that could hardly be described as friendly. As Rashid began letting out an almost war-cry-like yell and ran at Harun, Harun was left little time to react aside from changing his expression to one that could be summed up as an "oh shit" face.

As Rashid collided with into Harun, Harun toppled onto the ground, letting out a frustrated grunt of pain. The bag on his back both cushioned his fall and made it slightly more uncomfortable (and several crunching sounds were heard as the contents of the bag were smothered between the considerable weight of Harun and the floor), his sword-gun landing harmlessly a few feet away. A look of shock and panic spreading across his face (with similar feelings popping up in his mind), Harun looked up at Rashid. Harun had to admit; he was pretty fucking scared of Rashid at that point.
laZardo†

Post by laZardo† »

((Any GMing in the following posts was worked out between me and Goose prior.))

For about the first time in 48 hours, Rashid didn't feel paranoid or sad at all. Not that the complete consumption of his personality with blind rage substituted nicely for it, but as he hurtled headlong into Harun he figured it did the trick quite nicely. And the one thing he did notice when the two bodies finally impact was that the gun-blade didn't viciously impale him, sparing him a demise about as stupid as someone thinking they could remove their collar without detonating it.

The two fell to the ground together, Rashid's face leaning over Harun's shoulder and briefly impacting with the dirt ground. Rashid squinted and seethed as his upper body rebounded up into a sitting position, one leg between Harun's and the other to the side. With any luck, that the crunching sound he heard (with his own daypack behind him) was the sound of some of Harun's ribs breaking. He quickly rubbed whatever dirt he thought he caught on his face before shaking his head to regain his bearings and remember very clear intentions for his so-called "friend."

He bent forward again, this time only slightly, holding the smaller boy down by the shoulder with one arm and clenching the fist of his other hand with the obvious intent of tenderizing his classmate's face. The first one landed with a resounding 'clack' that inwardly encouraged him to continue.

"I'm...not...useless!" he shouted, timing his words with every punch. His lack of actual fighting skill, combined with the fact that he was furious as all fuck did nothing for his accuracy or balance, despite the fact that he practically pinned Harun to the ground. Each of the punches reverberated up his arm and straight into his shoulder, wearing him out quickly and slowing the return blows.

He also didn't seem to notice the fact that the gunblade had fallen to the side, which would have given him the perfect opportunity to pick it up. Were he not angry and his nose not bleeding a bit, he could have sworn he was having too much fun. And there was nobody else here to spoil it for him except the person he was beating.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler laZardo. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
General Goose

Post by General Goose »

Before he knew it, Rashid was on top of him, doing that thing that Harun had seen a lot in both the movies and real life; where the attacker accompanied every syllable they shouted with a well-timed punch to their victim's defenceless, vulnerable face. Needless to say, it would be an understatement to say it was uncomfortable and painful. The petrified, panicky boy's thoughts could be summed up quite simply as "OH SHIT HE'S PUNCHING MY FACE IN".

However, despite his nerdy, awkward behaviour, Harun was not weak. It may not have been that noticeable to the casual observer, but Harun WAS bigger than Rashid, and, after what must have been the fifth (or sixth? Harun had kinda lost count) punch from Rashid, he got over the initial confusion and shock, gathered his thoughts, and slowly began to respond to Rashid's violence. Up until then, Harun's hands had been lying limp at his sides, doing nothing of use, but they quickly moved to cover Harun's face and block any further blows. Rashid threw yet another punch at Harun at that moment, and, in response, Harun clumsily grabbed onto the hand tightly, temporarily bringing it to a halt and stopping the momentum of the punch. He clenched his free hand into a fist, and threw a punch at Rashid's face before he could respond.

That one punch to the skull seemed to leave Rashid groggy and dazed, and before he could recover and fight back, Harun, with all the force he could muster, pushed Rashid off of him, and hastily propelled himself to his feet. He quickly spotted the swordgun lying nearby, and, aside from a bit of dirt and a couple of flies that had decided to rest on it, it was fine. Before Rashid could recover, Harun dashed over to the swordgun and scooped it up in his left hand (his right hand ached for some reason), causing the flies to scatter. He then turned back to Rashid, and held the blade to his throat, only an inch from his skin.

Shaking with a mixture of fear, rage, anguish and stress, Harun managed to talk. "Seriously, man. What. The. Fuck. Was that for?"
laZardo†

Post by laZardo† »

Rashid felt like he was on a roll, at least for the five or six punches he could get in before Harun decided to fight back. Unfortunately for him, he wasn't exactly aware of the fact that Harun could even fight back until it quite literally hit him in the face. Though he did start getting the hint when the boy caught one of his punches.

That one punch knocked the wind out of him, and he found his head turning too far in the direction of the impact before recoiling. His bearings couldn't catch up in time, allowing Harun to simply push him off and onto the ground with relative ease. Finding himself on his back, the first thing he did was put his hands to his head, almost as if to hold it together. He hadn't taken a punch quite like that before, so he certainly couldn't say he was used to it. It almost felt like that one animé with that guy that could cause people's heads to explode just by poking their necks because he certainly felt like that was about to happen.

Nor was he used to someone suddenly standing over him, holding a pointy-looking hybrid of a gun and a sword to his throat, causing him to drop his hands to the ground. His vision was still somewhat blurred from the impact, but the silhouette of his once-best-buddy on this island and his assigned weapon was unmistakable.

"Seriously, man. What. The. Fuck. Was that for?" Harun growled, the impact fortunately not leaving Rashid's ears ringing.

Up until now, Rashid had actually forgotten how much bigger Harun actually was, if only because he actually came off as more imposing compared to his rather nerdy classmate. But if he hadn't felt completely measly, worthless and above all useless before, he certainly felt that way now, with the blade and corresponding nozzle of a gunblade just an inch from his throat. Much like the sensation of a finger pointed close to his forehead, he found himself petrified in place in an 'X'-like position on the ground as the blade seemed to already dig into his jugular vein. Any movement on Rashid's part on this point was provocation enough for Harun to pull the trigger.

And that, apparently, was Rashid's intention too.

"You think I'm useless, you son-of-a-bitch!" he snarled with a clenched jaw, somehow resisting the temptation to suddenly move his head up and end up finishing the job for him, or maybe snatch the blade and nozzle with both hands and stick them between his eyes. That didn't mean he wanted to, so very badly. He wasn't taunting Harun, as much as his angry tone seemed like it. He just wanted Harun to admit what he'd known to be true since he left the mansion.

It would certainly have explained his eyes starting to well up with what looked like tears.
General Goose

Post by General Goose »

"You think I'm useless, you son-of-a-bitch!"

Oh, so that was why.

Looking back, Harun couldn't exactly see how he'd managed to give Rashid that impression. Sure, the island had already made him somewhat more impatient and a bit less sensitive than he was before, but Harun would have remembered it if he'd told one of his friends they were useless. And he definitely hadn't done that.

Maybe Rashid was reading between the lines (like English teachers always said to do when they were preparing you to write an essay on some overrated book) and coming to false conclusions? That was a possibility. Or maybe Rashid was just paranoid as fuck. And, considering the situation they were in, Harun couldn't really blame him. But Rashid was still wrong. The truth was pretty simple; Harun really appreciated the company and the support Rashid was offering, especially in a situation where most people ran away at the first hint of trouble (or alternatively tried to kill you.)

Which meant that he was quite irritated with Rashid doing what Harun saw as putting words in his mouth.

"Listen, Rashid", Harun muttered, moving the swordgun to a less hostile position by his side, as he prepared to come up with suitable words to calm Rashid down. "I didn't mean to imply you were useless. To be honest, I really appreciate you sticking by me in this place. That means a lot to me. And...you made a mistake, I won't lie. But...frankly....I need you to get through this with me. We can't turn on each other, or else Danya's won. And Danya's a shithead who doesn't deserve to win...so...erm...let's get you back up on your feet." He reached out with his shaky free hand, hoping that Rashid would take it and that his words hadn't aggravated Rashid even more.
laZardo†

Post by laZardo† »

((Goddammit, when are they going to start making out?))

'Paranoid as fuck' probably explained Rashid's current situation and state of mind much more accurately than outward appearances and actions gave off. If anything, the ones that often confirmed (and therefore debunked) paranoia such as this were always the people closest to them. And as it turned out, Rashid wasn't feeling so paranoid anymore now that he'd vented out all the anger and depression he could with his previous exclamation.

"Listen, Rashid", Harun began, moving the gunblade to the side. Rashid's eyes followed the long, glimmering blade to the side and practically focused on it for the duration of what Harun said next.

"I didn't mean to imply you were useless. To be honest, I really appreciate you sticking by me in this place. That means a lot to me. And...you made a mistake, I won't lie. But...frankly....I need you to get through this with me. We can't turn on each other, or else Danya's won. And Danya's a shithead who doesn't deserve to win...so...erm...let's get you back up on your feet."

Rashid stared at that hand for several seconds, his tears on his eyelids seeming to sink back into his face as he tried as hard as possible not to believe Harun's seemingly heartfelt sermon. He wanted to believe that this was Harun trying to pull a charade. He wanted more than anything to rebuke him right then and there, maybe even try to spit at him.

But what good would that do at this point? What good would any resistance or any prayer for salvation do, for that matter? He was a dead man walking without any weapon more than his pills. And with Harun practically controlling when that would happen, it wasn't as if he could do anything to prolong the inevitable.

Most of all, this was something he now, finally and quietly accepted at gunpoint. If Harun decided to pull the trigger at any point by now, he wouldn't die regretting anything. At least as long as he took the bullet or blade in that kind of spot that would allow him to make his final amends before his soul moved on.

"Ah fuck. I can get up myself...." Rashid groaned, moving his arms a bit closer to his side to prop himself up. Once he sat up he rubbed his eyes with his sleeve before slowly getting back onto his feet. His supply bag had been draped around his shoulder the whole time, thankfully sliding off to the side so his own back didn't land on it.

He'd embarrassed himself enough already with his sudden temper tantrum. Though given that this was SOTF, worse things could have happened. Maybe this act of stupidity would have actually killed him, like trying to remove one's collar thinking it wasn't more improved than the last game when a bunch of students tried to escape. Of course, he thought they were already dead too, and the fact that they had gotten so close (at least before the cameras cut off) meant that such a glitch existed in Danya's perfect plan, one that he wanted to forget about once it was resolved.

If anything though, it helped to entrench this quiet acceptance into his mind. Rashid would die, probably betrayed by Harun after a while, his parents would be watching, and the game would have a winner (not just Danya).

As he quietly dusted himself off, constantly looking at the ground, he quietly made a mental note to at least make sure he would die with some dignity, not just quietly.
General Goose

Post by General Goose »

((Apologies for crappy post, wrote this in a hurry.))

Harun took a couple of steps back as Rashid got to his feet to give him some space, nervously eyeing his companion as he regained his composure, loosening the tight grip his trembling hand had on the swordgun to hopefully appear less threatening and more relaxed. Hopefully Rashid had gotten over that little bout of paranoia, and didn't hold any further ill feelings towards Harun. If he was going to die an obscenely painful and tragically premature death on this isolated island, he'd rather be killed by someone who he didn't consider a friend.

Once Rashid was firmly on his feet instead of trying to convert Harun's face into a thick, icky paste with his fists, there was a brief silence, as Harun allowed his mind to wander while thinking of a comment to make to break the awkward silence that had befallen their part of the woods. Scratching an itch on his chin, he finally spoke, his eyes staring upwards towards the tree tops.

"So...got a plan for where to go next, Rashid?"

He let out a sigh as his eyes returned to staring at the ground, and, exhausted, depressed and grouchy, he leaned against the nearest tree, slouching against it sloppily.
laZardo†

Post by laZardo† »

((That's more than I can write on a daily basis. You can lead the two out of here.))

Rashid also backed away from his so-called friend, clutching a cheek he was sure had gotten cracked underneath the skin from the force of the blow. He already got the hint (in the obviously hard way) to keep his distance from his so-called 'friend' after a fight so as not to provoke him again, intentionally or otherwise.

"So...got a plan for where to go next, Rashid?" Harun eventually asked.

He leaned against a nearby tree opposite from where Harun slouched. He looked up into the sky, already burning red with the sunset, before swiveling it down and to the side toward his bag. Rather than open it up and look for the map though, he instead grabbed his elbow as if to support that hand on his cheek and took a very deep breath, hoping briefly that it would have some kind of healing effect on his skull.

"Fuck if I know...someplace," he muttered, seething from the lingering pain to his jaw. "Someplace" also included someplace to think, and someplace to pray, and someplace to rest, preferably someplace without people that weren't out to deal out a protracted, painful and humiliating demise.

Rashid, however, wasn't in the mood for anything worth describing in detail, summing it all up in three words.

"Just...not here."

Indeed, he hardly seemed in the mood for anything other than wanting something to fix that jaw so his corpse would look a tad more presentable to his parents when it inevitably arrived.
General Goose

Post by General Goose »

Like Harun, Rashid also seemed to like the idea getting out of this area. It wasn't exactly tranquil or peaceful, the ground was muddy and uncomfortable, and there was a pretty bad memory associated with the place that Harun wanted to put behind them. Hell, even the shade the tree-tops offered looked patchy at best.

And so, grabbing onto a few bumps and grooves in the nearby tree for support, Harun climbed to his feet, stretched his limbs and let out a yawn. Rubbing an itchy area behind his left ear and pulling his bag (which he was still unaware was filled with crushed crackers and torn, leaking bags of soup) back up his shoulders, he turned to Rashid, absentmindedly motioning to him to get upright too.

"Well....I guess we'll get out of here first, find somewhere to rest. We'll look at those maps we got there. Can't be arsed to take mine out now." Harun could do with a little rest; he was getting exhausted. His eyelids were becoming heavy and that tussle he'd just been in had used up even more energy. "Then, from there..." A pause to sigh. "I dunno. Wander about aimlessly until we meet someone we know who doesn't wanna kill us, I dunno." He shrugged, weakly kicking some uninteresting, insignificant pebbles on the floor in boredom.

Having decided against procrastinating any further, he turned around and began walking away from the small clearing, dragging his feet and kicking up dirt as he did so. "Well, let's go." Briefly turning his head to check Rashid was behind him, he set out.

((Harun Kemal continued in Gypsy Rap.))
laZardo†

Post by laZardo† »

Rashid nodded as Harun finished explaining his 'plan' for the next few hours, generally looking down at the ground himself. He couldn't get himself to think up his own plan to try to get one over on Harun or at least do so in a way that he wouldn't end up dying quickly and painlessly. As the two started to walk out, he decided to follow Harun's advice and look for a place to go on his own map. He craned his head to look at his bag, seething as the pain from his jaw made its way down his neck, then reached to open the pack, exposing its contents.

He briefly eyed the half-consumed bottle of pills, tucked away just to the top of the bag. He didn't feel particularly regretful about them, at least not for the time being. Of course that didn't mean he wanted to feel regretful by giving it anything more than a brief glance, and he began rustling in his bag, past the partially-eaten supplies, first aid kit and cheaply-printed 'instructions' (which had passed for toilet paper now that he memorized them) before finding the map.

The map wasn't terribly detailed, in fact it looked like more of an illustration with a vaguely-accurate north-pointing arrow. There was just enough light out that Rashid could get a vague idea of where he was...in the middle of the woods. Judging from the 'structures' to either side, pretty much any way was 'out' unless they ended up going in circles.

"Just keep going straight whichever way we're going, we should come out somewhere," Rashid said before rubbing his mangled jaw again.

((Rashid Hassan continued Gypsy Rap))

Return to “The Woods: Inland”