Mortal Combat at the Gazebo

the fall of Jacob Starr

A gazebo sitting on the center of a tall hill. This would be a very good place to call people over to, and form some sort of plan. Be careful... this place is something of a dead giveaway to your whereabouts, since it sticks out so much.
Slayer†

Mortal Combat at the Gazebo

Post by Slayer† »

OOC: Continued from Showdown at the Woods
IC: After he killed David, Jacob wandered aimlessly, eventually finding himself on the path to the Gazebo. He didn't particularly want to see the building again, but he had come across it nonetheless. Sighing, he walked through the familiar rounded gateway, ignoring the decomposing corpse disemboweled under the floor as he stepped into the circular building. Walking across the structure, he ignored the old stench of blood as he sat in the very same bench he had when he spoke to Sven and had his encounter with Shinya. Looking up, his eyes met with a camera facing him. Glaring, he raised the pistol and aimed.

"Leave me the fuck alone, Danya." he said as he shot the camera, leaving a circular, smoking hole in the middle of the cracked lens. Smiling grimly, he realized as he reloaded that he had exactly two clips left in between his gunfight against David and shooting Danya's camera. Yawning, he positioned himself horizontally on the bench and closed his eyes.

Even though the area was covered in mist, Jacob could tell it was a graveyard. There were large gravestones scattered all over, and it was fairly cold (how he was feeling cold in a dream, Jacob didn't know). As he walked, the mist cleared over seven graves. With a quizzical expression on his face, he walked forward until he was the names.

Morgana Vendvmagli
Alan Shinwrath
Ed Rommel
Uriel Hunter
Rais Sekth
Garrett Langston
David Jackson
Jacob recognized the names instantly: they were all people he killed in the game. Suddenly, the graves rumbled and the ghastly forms of his victims emerged. Each was in the condition he killed them in (Uriel without a haw and headless, Alan with a hole in between his eyes, etc.), looking at him with hateful eyes. Slowly, they advanced, not saying a word.

"Get the hell away from me!" Jacob shouted, inexplicably afraid as he pulled out his Browning and fired, the bullets having no effect on the apparitions. Eventually, Uriel threw his ruined head at Jacob, knocking the boy to the ground. The crowd of ghosts swarmed him, beating at him and spitting before throwing him, screaming, through an empty grave that led straight into Hell. The grave read Jacob Starr.

Jacob woke up with a start.

"What a strange dream..." he muttered, thinking he could hear footsteps in the distance.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the former handler Slayer.
Cactus

Post by Cactus »

((Continued from: Back to the Scene of the Crime...))

Dead...they're all dead. They're all dead, and for one reason or another, it's my fault. I couldn't take care of any of them properly.

Fuck.

Since he had left the River area, for what he hoped was the last time when he remained here on this island, Adam Dodd couldn't help but admit to himself that he had gotten lost. Following the motorcycle treads hadn't been easy. In fact, it'd been near-impossible, and soon therafter, he'd found himself wandering in what seemed like circles. All the while, his mood was in a dark state, for he kept consistently blaming himself for the deaths of his five friends. While in a rational state of mind, Adam might have been able to realize that what he was doing to himself was probably unnecessary, and that indeed, none of the deaths were his fault at all, but time had slowly pushed him past the point of rational thought, and for the immediate time being, anyway, his thoughts had become wild, scattered, and mostly irrational.

Ever since he had made the decision that killing Cody Jensen would be the right thing to do, the only thing to do, Adam had become very introspective, his frantic mind only slowly down to remember the past, to look within himself. He'd looked back upon his times in school, and remembered the good times that he'd had with each of his friends, some of whom may have been dead, others might have been spared the horror of it all.

What's it matter, really? Hawley's dead, and if I'd known him outside of this, he would have been one of my closest friends. I let Amanda die, and she was...she was the most important one of all. Madelaine was savaged, and none of us did a goddamn thing. If David's really dead...fuck. And hey, I killed Marcus myself. What a great friend that I was. But Andrew...Andrew shouldn't have even been here.

Fuck, I really am all alone.

Adam's eyes narrowed, however, as he was passing by the gazebo, and he saw movement from the corner of his eye, and a gunshot sounded out. Stopping in his tracks, he saw Jacob Starr firing at a camera, and mumbling something about Danya.

He killed Hawley. In the end, it was him that was responsible. But why'd he decide to play? Why the fuck did he decided to do it?

It was then that Adam did something against his better judgement. Slowly, he walked right up to the gazebo, his nose crinkling at the horrid smell underneath, walked right up the steps, and sat down opposite a clearly surprised Jacob Starr. Plunking his bag down beside him, he sighed for a second, and looked at what was possibly his biggest rival on the island; or at least, what had been, until Cody Jensen came about.

"Jacob."

Adam made no hostile moves, and as strangely as he felt for not picking up his shotgun and shooting the boy dead at close range, he did nothing at all of the sort, but rather just sat there and watched to see what Jacob would do.
[+] V7

B027 - Morgan Dragosavich: "Now come on, you have a flight to catch."
V7: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 15 - 16 - 17
Pregame: P1 - P2 - P3 - P4 - P5 - P6 - P7 - M1 - PPr1 - PPr2 - T1 - T2 - T3

B042 - Connor Lorenzen: "You— you're gonna have to live with this for— for a long time. A long time, and I hope you do, brother. Really."
V7: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 10 - 11 - 12 - 13 - 14
Pregame: P1 - P2 - P3 - P4 - P5 - P6 - M1 - M2 - Pr1 - PoPr1 - T1

B005 - Claudeson Bademosi: "May you see your Redeemer face to face and enjoy the vision of God forever."
V7: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 15 - 16 - 17 - 18 - 19 - 20
Pregame: P1 - P2 - P3 - P4 - P5 - P6 -M1 - VPS - T1

B062 - Jeff Greene: "Wait a minute, you're not Palom—"
V7: 9 - 10 - 11

G042 - Ariana Moretti: "You were always here."
V7: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5
Pregame: P1 - P2 - P3 - P4 - P5 - P6 - M1 - M2 - M3 - T1 - T2 - T3
[+] Meanwhile...

V7 (2018):

Life; As It Happens

1: The Essay; June 2, 2015
2: The Pizza; June 6, 2015
3: The Leak; June 7, 2015
4: The Safe; June 4, 2018
5: The Call; September 19, 2015

6: Coda
7: The Secret; June 4, 2018
8: ???; June 9, 2018
9: ???; June 10, 2018
10: ???; June 10, 2018
11: ???; September 13, 2018

Ross Miller

1: Shatterday; June 9, 2018
2: I Wait on You Inside the Bottom of the Deep Blue Sea; July 13, 2018 - ongoing

3: ???
4: ???
5: ???

Pregame: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - M1 - M2 - SP - Snapchat

Carl Fredericks/Steven Lorenzen: The Needs of the Many

V6 (2015)
Mrs. Ritch: Sweet Billy
[+] The Past

The Creme de la Creme

V3: B007 - Keith Jackson: At the end of the road he's running, looking back to survey where he's been.
V1/3: B077 - Adam Dodd: You either die a hero, or live long enough to become the villain. The truth lies somewhere in between.
V1: B087 - Sidney Crosby: It's only cowardice if other people are around to tell you so. Otherwise, it's survival.
V1: B092 - Eddie Serjeantson: Fully in charge, but not much of an arborist.
V2: B013 - Andrew Ponikarovsky: Probably could have used a proper license and a driving lesson.
V1: G005 - Amanda Jones: A breath of fresh air, and in the end, that was all it took.
V3: B099 - John Sheppard: Went out with a bang.
V3: B122 - Ryan Atwell: Couldn't help but write a "Dear John" letter.
Slayer†

Post by Slayer† »

Jacob was surprised when Adam simply sat down next to him and threw his bag down.

"What is it, Adam?" he simply asked, glancing at the other boy. It wasn't like Adam to try and talk to him, the only time they had even seen each other on the island was when they were trying to kill each other and that one time in the River. In fact, Jacob was surprised simply that he hadn't been shot already if Adam had had enough time to get this close.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the former handler Slayer.
Cactus

Post by Cactus »

Adam sighed as Jacob cautiously asked him what he wanted. The alarm bells in Adam's head were going off like there was no tomorrow, but he simply didn't care. No matter what was going to happen, he had things that he wanted to know.

"Well, Jacob...I'm sure you're probably as surprised as I am that I'm sitting here next to you not shooting at you, but...fuck, man. You've been the one guy who's been after me for the longest time on the island, you're the one constant that I've had that up to now, is still alive. Yeah, man...you heard me right. Amanda, Hawley, David, Madelaine...they're all dead. Each and every single last one of them. And I'm the only one left. Who would've thought that, huh, man?"

Adam reached into his bag and pulled out one of the tins of crackers that he'd hardly touched since he'd been on the island. Opening it, he took one out and crunched the stale cracker in between his teeth. Extending the can to Jacob, he shrugged a little.

"Cracker?"

Waiting for the boy to take a cracker, he continued.

"So after Amanda died, I kind of told myself that fuck, man...I didn't want to play this game, I really didn't. I had promised myself since day one that I'd find a way off of this rock, that I'd escape. But hey, man...let's be honest with one another. There ain't no fucking way off of this island. Nothing short of being the last man standing. You know it, and I guess now, I know it.

A few days ago, I would have liked nothing more than to kill you, and I wouldn't have felt any remorse. You tried to kill me, and that in my book isn't all that cool. But buddy, I've gotta break it to you. You aren't public enemy number one anymore. This asswipe named Cody Jensen came along, and he killed each one of them. David, Madelaine, Amanda...and I swore that I'd hunt him down, and I'd make him pay, I'd fucking kill him and I'd make him feel the same pain that he made Madelaine feel. She was raped, 'ya know.

But I've gotta ask you, man. How do you do it? How'd you go off and decide to start playing? It took the death of all my friends and essentially a sense of vigilante justice to make me say 'fuck this, I'm going to go kill me some motherfucker'...but you, you just started from the beginning playing the game.

So I guess, I really just wanna know one thing, man...

...why?"

Staring at Jacob, he gazed intensely into the boy's eyes.
[+] V7

B042 - Connor Lorenzen: "You— you're gonna have to live with this for— for a long time. A long time, and I hope you do, brother. Really."

B005 - Claudeson Bademosi: "May you see your Redeemer face to face and enjoy the vision of God forever."
V7: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 15 - 16 - 17 - 18 - 19 - 20

[+] Meanwhile...

V7 (2018):

Life; As It Happens

Ross Miller

2: I Wait on You Inside the Bottom of the Deep Blue Sea; July 13, 2018 - ongoing

V6 (2015)
[+] The Past

The Creme de la Creme

V3: B007 - Keith Jackson: At the end of the road he's running, looking back to survey where he's been.
V1/3: B077 - Adam Dodd: You either die a hero, or live long enough to become the villain. The truth lies somewhere in between.
V1: B087 - Sidney Crosby: It's only cowardice if other people are around to tell you so. Otherwise, it's survival.
V2: B013 - Andrew Ponikarovsky: Probably could have used a proper license and a driving lesson.
V1: G005 - Amanda Jones: A breath of fresh air, and in the end, that was all it took.
Slayer†

Post by Slayer† »

Jacob listened intently as Adam started to talk, only breaking eye contact to nod gratefully and take the cracker, eating it hungrily. He was surprised when Adam told him about the deaths of his friend (though he smiled knowingly when Adam mentioned David's death) and looked at him curiously when he was asked why he decided to play. Looking up slightly and sighing, he started to reply.

"To be honest, fear and the desire to survive. When I woke up, I realized that I had done very little living for myself, I was always living to help others or silently going from class to class. When I was told I'd have to kill my classmates, I wanted to live so badly that I would've killed my brother if he had been on this island, let alone my schoolmates. And now that everyone on the island that's still alive knows I'm a murderer, I don't have a choice. Now I'm damned to keep killing until I either win or get killed myself." he finished with a sigh as he looked back to Adam, waiting for the other boy's reply.
Cactus

Post by Cactus »

Adam nodded as Jacob explained himself. Taking a cracker out of the tin, he munched on it and looked at the boy.

"Hm, interesting. You're right, though. I mean, I was pretty active in the school community, and you were always one of those guys that never said a word to anyone, it seemed. Guess I wasn't all that surprised when you started killing people, but I really just thought you were a psychopath to begin with."

Adam chuckled a little.

"Shows how much I know, huh? You just want to survive. So you basically just try and kill everyone you come upon, whether they're a friend or not? That's interesting, dude. Very interesting.

Me? I'm pretty much just out for my own form of vigilante justice. I'm out to get Cody Jensen, because he murdered Amanda and Madelaine, and David. Hawley died of various wounds, and if I tried to go and fuck up everyone who helped in that respect, I'd have to fuck myself up too. And Marcus, well...I kind of killed him myself, so I'll just leave that be.

Truth be told, Jacob, I'm pretty surprised you haven't tried to kill me already. I mean, you've done so a couple other times before. So why not shoot me as soon as you saw me, hm?"
[+] V7

[+] Meanwhile...

V7 (2018):

Life; As It Happens

Ross Miller

V6 (2015)
[+] The Past

The Creme de la Creme

Slayer†

Post by Slayer† »

Deciding to reply to Adam's last question (why Jacob hadn't already tried to kill him) first, Jacob sighed again.

"To be blunt, I don't want to. I'm almost out of ammo and don't feel like being blown apart by your shotgun. Besides, I'm enjoying the conversation." he answered, continuing to speak soon after.

"I understand how much Amanda meant to you, and nobody deserves to die the way you say Madelaine did, but do you really think becoming a cold blooded murderer, whether it's for revenge or not, is the best way? If you hunt him down and kill him, if you decide to play the game on a grudge, you're no better than I am. Than he is. Take it from me, the instant you pull the plug on him, you're damned. The path of the killer is not one that will let you turn around and go back once you start walking it, the fact that Danya's announcements tell us who killed who just means nobody will trust you, some will attack you on sight, it's happened to me before. Tell me honestly, are you willing to give up everything you are, everything you've worked for here, just because you hate someone? Are you willing to play this twisted game because someone pissed you off?"
Cactus

Post by Cactus »

Adam kind of chuckled a little. Jacob brought up some good points, but...

"Heh, yeah. Well, thing is, dude...this guy didn't just piss me off. He brutally raped and murdered a really close friend of mine. And let's be honest, dude...I've already killed two people. Maybe it'll shock you, maybe you haven't been listening to the announcements, but...I have. I've already walked down that path, like so many other people have. And I'm just like you. I want to live. I want to live more than anything else in the entire goddamn world, man. Death is something that I want to experience when I'm an old man, hobbling around, telling my grandchildren stories about how I fought for my life and came out on the winning end."

Adam shook his head, sighing a little. "That's the thing, though, Jacob. You and I took very different paths to where we are now. I made a promise to six people that I'd help protect them and I'd find a way off of the island. Now they're all dead. That tells me that in order to get off of this island, I've gotta do what I've gotta do.

No matter how much it fucking eats me up inside."

Scratching his neck, he looked around at the bloody gazebo.

"I'm not going to sit down and die, you know? And sure, once I put Cody Jensen out of my misery, then...who knows what'll happen. I'll be down a street that I can't walk out of. That you're right about. But by that time, it probably won't even matter anymore. I might be so badly fucked up that there's hardly anything left of me. But you never know, man. You never know.

I've never played for anything less than to win, and if I decide to play this game, I don't care if I have to go through every single person on this island, I will do it in order to avenge my friends, and to stand in front of Danya and watch him beg for his worthless excuse for a life."

Adam spit on the ground of the gazebo.

"So there you have it. Kill the people who killed my friends, and kill the motherfucker who orchestrated it all. This is what has become of the nice, kind, 'never hurt a fly' Adam Dodd. He's dead, bro...and I don't know if he's ever coming back again, thanks to this..."
[+] V7

[+] Meanwhile...

V7 (2018):

Life; As It Happens

Ross Miller

V6 (2015)
[+] The Past

The Creme de la Creme

Slayer†

Post by Slayer† »

Jacob sighed and stood up, slinging the bag over his shoulder and putting his gun back in his pocket.

"Very well, Adam. I can see there's no talking you out of this. Just know I won't help you destroy yourself." he said, walking towards the exit. He genuinely didn't want Adam to play the game, but the boy seemed to have his heart set on it. He guessed the desire for revenge could do that to a boy. But as he reached the middle of the Gazebo, he turned around to face Adam.

"By the way, you said you wanted to kill Cody for killing your friends, but you're mistaken about one thing." with that, he pulled out his gun and threw it to the side.

"He didn't kill David, I did. So if you want revenge, start with me."
Cactus

Post by Cactus »

Adam looked at Jacob and scratched his face as the boy stood up and began to leave. Of course, when Jacob turned around, tossed his gun to the side, and admitted that it was him, rather than Cody who had killed David, Adam sighed deeply.

"Well that's a damn shame, man. I mean, truth be told, I was kind of hoping that it wouldn't come down to this. I admit, dude, I respect you for your mindset, but...I made a promise. I failed in that promise, and now I have to make those who caused me to fail, I have to make them pay.

And sad to say, Jacob...but I guess David, and to an extent Hawley...well, I guess now, I have to make you pay."

Adam nodded at Jacob, and without any warning, launched himself at the boy who stood in the doorway, causing them both to toppled off of the gazebo and onto the ground outside, throwing a punch at the other boy's face.
[+] V7

[+] Meanwhile...

V7 (2018):

Life; As It Happens

Ross Miller

V6 (2015)
[+] The Past

The Creme de la Creme

Slayer†

Post by Slayer† »

Jacob felt a large burst of air leave his body as he hit the ground after being tackled and knocked out of the Gazebo by Adam.

Damn, he caught me off guard! he thought, moving in an attempt to throw Adam off him so he could get up.

Well, looks like I have to accept this challenge, Adam. Sorry, but only one of us is gonna survive this...
Cactus

Post by Cactus »

As Jacob moved to throw Adam off of him, Adam rolled back and pulled himself to his feet, his heart beginning to pump quicker and quicker.

Wow, this is something I really didn't want to do, but...

As he watched Jacob pull himself to his feet, Adam aimed a big boot at the knee of Jacob Starr, hoping that he'd connect, perhaps disabling his opponent.
[+] V7

[+] Meanwhile...

V7 (2018):

Life; As It Happens

Ross Miller

V6 (2015)
[+] The Past

The Creme de la Creme

Slayer†

Post by Slayer† »

A wave of pain went up Jacob's right leg as Adam's kick connected right with his knee. Hobbling to his full height, he threw a right hook at Adam while favoring his right leg due to the pain.

At least the leg isn't broken. If I can avoid getting hit on that knee for about two minutes, I should be fine, I think. he thought, glaring at his opponent.
Cactus

Post by Cactus »

As Jacob's fist connected with his face, Adam stumbled backwards, putting his hand to his face twice to check if there was any blood. There wasn't.

Damnit, of course he's not going to go down easily...

Shaking his head to clear the cobwebs, Adam stepped back towards Jacob, trying a small uppercut as he attempted to knee the other boy in the abdomen at the same time.
[+] V7

[+] Meanwhile...

V7 (2018):

Life; As It Happens

Ross Miller

V6 (2015)
[+] The Past

The Creme de la Creme

Slayer†

Post by Slayer† »

Jacob's head was knocked back by the uppercut and he let out a short grunt as the knee hit him in the gut. Starting to get into the rhythm of the fight, he threw a jab and a kick to Adam's knee, ignoring the bit of blood trickling from his mouth as he moved to his right.

Return to “Gazebo”