Fifty-thousand Names All Engraved Upon a Stone

Oneshot separated from another post

A thicket of bamboo stalks shooting up out of the ground. Be careful, one could lose themselves in all the bamboo. If one was crafty enough, they could easily turn one of the bamboo stalks into a weapon of some sort.
Cactus

Fifty-thousand Names All Engraved Upon a Stone

Post by Cactus »

((Continued from: Hiding))

As the rain poured down onto his back, soaking him through to the skin, Adam Dodd wished that for once, he wasn't so damned emotional. If only he didn't have the tendancy to walk out of the room when he was overwhelmed by emotion, none of this would have happened. Cradling the shotgun in his hands, he swore lightly to himself. If it weren't for his damned atrocious sense of direction, he could have stayed close to the house and he'd be back right now with Amanda, Hawley, and the rest of them.

Of course, that just wasn't meant to be, at least at this point in time. Adam found himself stumbling into the Bamboo Coppice that he had been in only hours ago. Am I even close to where the house is? SHIT! He shook his head. This was a situation he hadn't wanted to be in. All of this time on the island, and he'd been in a group, whether it be Hawley or Alan, he'd never been alone. He'd never had true time to think, to reflect. Of course, getting lost in one's own thoughts could be fatal in such a game like this, but as the rain poured down his face, he couldn't help but take a look around. Aside from the charred sticks of bamboo which had been utterly decimated by the fire, he saw some charred remains on the ground. Three bodies in the coppice...

Three? That's weird...

Looking at the one body closest to him, he saw a pair of brass knuckles on the charred fingers of the corpse. That would have to be what was left of Alan. Another body to his left seemed to be in the same position in which the nameless girl had collapsed, the one who had caught the bullet from Hawley's gun. But the third body....hadn't been here before...

Adam wandered over, curious. He had seen so much death and destruction in the past few days that it was beginning to become something he was used to seeing...

Used to? FUCK NO! I'll never be used to this. Never.

He rolled the corpse over with the muzzle of his shotgun. It was an Asian boy, that he could tell, as the body was relatively unburnt. Probably smoke inhilation, he figured. There weren't any other noticable wounds on him, so it would seem to be the only conclusion.

So much death in such a little place. It struck Adam as being something that he wouldn't have believed possible. Sure, he had seen the pictures of the countless death that occurred during wartime, but to see it live, and first-hand...it was shocking, and pathetic.

Pathetic. That was the word for it. Nobody could justify such a pathetic loss of life, a loss of potential.

I hope Mr. Danya pays for all that he's done.

As he stood quietly, looking over the scene, he couldn't help but be reminded of a favourite song of his. At least, it had been at the time that his real life had ended. He took a glance down at his Audioslave t-shirt. It was the last real remnant that he had of his real life. The t-shirt, to him, signified his life, and how he was simply trying to hold on, to live. Like the shirt which stuck to his skin, it was simply trying to hold on.

I've seen fifty-thousand names all engraved on a stone,
most of them never met a grave years before I was born,
all of them left brothers and sisters and mothers behind
and most of their family and friends have all had their time.

I've been wandering sideways
I've stared straight into the sun
and I don't know why you're dying
long before your time has come

Clenching the shotgun, Adam felt the sudden urge to get up and leave this place, this decimated sanctuary.

And he did.

((Continued in: I've Been Wandering Sideways...))
[+] V7

B027 - Morgan Dragosavich: "Now come on, you have a flight to catch."
V7: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 15 - 16 - 17
Pregame: P1 - P2 - P3 - P4 - P5 - P6 - P7 - M1 - PPr1 - PPr2 - T1 - T2 - T3

B042 - Connor Lorenzen: "You— you're gonna have to live with this for— for a long time. A long time, and I hope you do, brother. Really."
V7: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 10 - 11 - 12 - 13 - 14
Pregame: P1 - P2 - P3 - P4 - P5 - P6 - M1 - M2 - Pr1 - PoPr1 - T1

B005 - Claudeson Bademosi: "May you see your Redeemer face to face and enjoy the vision of God forever."
V7: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 15 - 16 - 17 - 18 - 19 - 20
Pregame: P1 - P2 - P3 - P4 - P5 - P6 -M1 - VPS - T1

B062 - Jeff Greene: "Wait a minute, you're not Palom—"
V7: 9 - 10 - 11

G042 - Ariana Moretti: "You were always here."
V7: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5
Pregame: P1 - P2 - P3 - P4 - P5 - P6 - M1 - M2 - M3 - T1 - T2 - T3
[+] Meanwhile...

V7 (2018):

Life; As It Happens

1: The Essay; June 2, 2015
2: The Pizza; June 6, 2015
3: The Leak; June 7, 2015
4: The Safe; June 4, 2018
5: The Call; September 19, 2015

6: Coda
7: The Secret; June 4, 2018
8: ???; June 9, 2018
9: ???; June 10, 2018
10: ???; June 10, 2018
11: ???; September 13, 2018

Ross Miller

1: Shatterday; June 9, 2018
2: I Wait on You Inside the Bottom of the Deep Blue Sea; July 13, 2018 - ongoing

3: ???
4: ???
5: ???

Pregame: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - M1 - M2 - SP - Snapchat

Carl Fredericks/Steven Lorenzen: The Needs of the Many

V6 (2015)
Mrs. Ritch: Sweet Billy
[+] The Past

The Creme de la Creme

V3: B007 - Keith Jackson: At the end of the road he's running, looking back to survey where he's been.
V1/3: B077 - Adam Dodd: You either die a hero, or live long enough to become the villain. The truth lies somewhere in between.
V1: B087 - Sidney Crosby: It's only cowardice if other people are around to tell you so. Otherwise, it's survival.
V1: B092 - Eddie Serjeantson: Fully in charge, but not much of an arborist.
V2: B013 - Andrew Ponikarovsky: Probably could have used a proper license and a driving lesson.
V1: G005 - Amanda Jones: A breath of fresh air, and in the end, that was all it took.
V3: B099 - John Sheppard: Went out with a bang.
V3: B122 - Ryan Atwell: Couldn't help but write a "Dear John" letter.

Return to “Bamboo Coppice”