The Drowned

Kingman, Arizona

This forum contains scenes set off of the island, taking place concurrently with V7 and its broadcast. Please be sure to thoroughly read the rules prior to posting in this forum. If you have any questions, please consult staff.
Pippi

The Drowned

Post by Pippi »

Footsteps padded down the stairs in a little house in Kingman, avoiding every creaky floorboard and stepping over every book and box that had been dropped and left there like they were magnetised, stuck to a path that they couldn't diverge from. They came to a wooden door, one with a photo of a girl in BMX gear standing next to a bike taped to it, brightly coloured letters spelling out ‘MIA’ directly above it, and they stopped momentarily, like they did every day. They moved on after a while, leaving the door behind them, shut and untouched like it had been for years now.

The footsteps stopped again further along the landing, outside another bedroom door, ajar this time, and Ashleigh Rose poked his head through it. The room was still dark, the early morning sun not yet bright enough to fully pierce the curtains, but he could just about see the vague form of his youngest son, wrapped up safe and sound under the covers on his side, facing the wall. A ghost of a smile crossed Ashleigh’s face, before he turned, and started descending the stairs to the ground floor of the house.

He stepped into the dining room, feet tapping against the polished wooden floor, glancing across at Pepper and Casey sleeping on their dog bed together. Casey cocked her ear up and opened one eye to look at him, and he gave her that same ghost of a smile. She laid her head back down to rest on her paws, and he pushed the door to the kitchen open just the right amount that it didn’t stick against the floor and make a horrible scraping noise.

The same routine, every single morning, like his body was on rails.

There was a plastic bag filled with empty glass bottles hanging on the back of the door, a smaller bag filled with corks next to it. Ashleigh reached into both bags, taking one of each and setting them both down on the counter next to the fridge. Stuck to the fridge itself was a sheaf of paper and a small ballpoint pen. He ripped the first piece of paper off, unclipped the pen, and took them across to the counter, starting to write the moment he put them down.

He’d known what he was going to write since yesterday, ever since the news had drifted in from Tennessee, news echoed from three years ago.

He rolled the paper up, grabbing a spare elastic band from the little bowl next to the salt and pepper and tying it tightly around his message, before slotting it into the bottle, sealing it with the cork. Holding it firmly in his hand, he walked over to the door leading into the conservatory. The door juddered and creaked as he opened it. No matter how many times he oiled it, it still did the same thing. Just one of those things. If anybody noticed, they didn’t act on it. If anyone noticed his routine at all, they didn’t say anything about it. They all dealt in their own ways, ways that he felt sure would have to be renewed far too soon.

Ashleigh walked through into the garden, the morning chill cutting into him through his pyjamas and the sandals he’d slipped on. Dew brushed against his toes. A couple of birds sang. There was the faint noise of car horns and engines off in the distance. Everything was still, except not quite. Peaceful, but not really.

There was a stream at the bottom of the Roses garden. Mia had used to play in it, when she was much, much younger. Sunny halcyon days. There’d been a while where Ashleigh had cried every single time he’d made this walk. Now it was just him and his message in a bottle, numb to the cold and everything that came with it.

He knelt down by the riverbank, placing the bottle onto the water, feeling the current brush through his fingers. He didn’t know where these bottles would end up. Drifting in the middle of the ocean, if he had to be honest with himself. He still felt as though Mia could read the messages. He had to.

He let the bottle go, then stepped back, staring up into the sky, as his little glass message sailed away.

Hi Mia. It’s Dad.

It happened again.

I’m sorry. I’m so, so sorry.

I don’t know what I can do. I don’t know what anyone can do. I just hope that they can find peace. I hope that wherever they end up, they’re not in pain anymore.

I love you, Mia. Wherever you may be.
[+] V7
B006 - Stepney Cruz - DEAD - Dynasty decapitated, you just might see a ghost tonight - Mountain Bike - Localised - Catastrophe - Inferno
Pregame - Chill - Loss - Realm
Trip - Loved

G035 - Katie Agustien - DEAD - There's only two ways that these things can go, good or bad and how was I to know that all your friends won't hold any grudges, I got the final judgment - The World's Sharpest Knife™ - Dread - Skin - ieatnothing - Satisfaction - Tempest - Zero
Pregame - Vend-etta - Flames - Fleet - Monachopsis - Glitter
Trip - G҉ A҉ N҉ G҉

B028 - Aurelien Valter - DEAD - When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat, before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream - Spiked Mace, Glock 19, Min-Jae Parker's Crossbow - Nightmare - Bubbles - Neighbourhood - Tragedy - Make It - Fiend - Sleet - Love - Walls - Friends - Key - Everything - Gotta - Ghosts - Alone
Pregame - Shark - Heart
Prom - Link - Gradation - Ballare
Trip - Inferis - Scusare

B052 - Garren Mortimer - DEAD- Cut up and I can't feel my hands, no need to chase, can you relate, can you keep up the pace like you're dying for this? - Bryan Calvert's SPAS-12, Alligator tooth sword - Sky - Geek - Nation - No - Dilemma - Mauerbauertraurigkeit - Struck - Punishment - Énouement - Pain - Learn - lamb - Moves
Pregame - Rain
Trip - Life

Meanwhile
Lyra Doyle - Let's live tonight like fireflies, and one by one light up the sky - Pop!
Pregame - Evolution - Life - Lo Mein
Memories - Forward - Odds

Dean Puchero - By July you'd made a whole bunch of brand new friends, people you used to look down on, and you'd figured out a way to make real money - Phone - Angel
Pregame - Generation - Prince
Memories - Star
Prom - Sun - Luster
[+] The Past
V6
Bryony Adams - Burning bright until the end, now you'll be missing from the photographs
Astrid Tate - So what became of loving man, and what became of you?
Mia Rose - You can't understand that I won't leave 'til we're finished here, and then you'll find out where it all went wrong

V5
Owen Kay - I fold my tie and ribbon to hide my scars, that's how it starts
Amy Bachelor - Can you whisper, as it crumbles and breaks, as you shiver, count up all your mistakes
Francis St. Ledger - So a day when you've lost yourself completely could be a night when your life ends

V4
George Leidman (Adopted from Blastinus) - Now if we jump together at least we can swim far away from the wreck that we made
Beatrice - Jamie - Pippi - Tim - Ada - Tabby - Romeo - Lissa - Freddie - Trinity - Redd - Natalie - Kendra
[+] The Future
Boyd Adkinson - Ain't no surprise that I can't sleep tonight, my only vice is standing by your side
"bryony and alba would definitely join the terrorists quote me on this put this quote in signatures put it in history books" - Cicada Days, 2017

Return to “V7 Meanwhile”