no one round here's good at keeping their eyes closed

One-shot, concurrent with Heeling of the USS Dekcuc

The upper wilderness is much like the lower wilderness. It is made up of a thick collection of tropical trees and borders a more developed aspect of the island, the rice paddies rather than the village in this instance. Some of the main differences are that the vegetation is much thicker, there are no paths, and the land begins to slope up the island. These features all combine to make the upper wilderness much more treacherous to navigate. The upper wilderness is also home to populations of monkeys, parrots and goats descended from those originally kept in the menagerie.

Thread Limit: 2
Maraoone

no one round here's good at keeping their eyes closed

Post by Maraoone »

((Diego Larrosa continues from Gimme, Gimme Shelter, or I'm Gonna Fade Away))

Lorenzo had had unknown company for the past couple of hours. Diego was good at that, staying unseen. Fading into the background.

He was waiting for Lorenzo to enter another building. If he tried to approach Lorenzo by sneaking from behind, in the woods, where the threat of a killer was always lurking, then Lorenzo would turn on him, plunge the hammer into him, and that would be that. He had to be smart, patient about this. Meeting in a building would allow him to give them both a warning, to prevent any surprises. Also, if waiting meant putting off the moment of confrontation for a few hours, then he would welcome it. He still didn't know exactly what to say. So, he stayed in the background, waiting for his moment to come.

The rain continued to soak him, through him, his bags, his clothes, his bones. There had been moments where he tripped, scratched himself, and then he paused, silently begging that Lorenzo didn't hear him. And he didn't. So, they continued, one a horizon behind the other. And, Diego continued without even the slightest hint of doubt, despite the rain, the scratches, the thirst, the hunger, the fatigue that had set into his joints, because Lorenzo was all he had, all he needed at this point. Anyone else, anywhere else would be inertia leading to Chris at the pier, to the corpse at the temple. He needed to cross the ocean.

Eventually, mercifully, Lorenzo stopped, just up the slope. Diego took cover behind a tree, just in case Lorenzo happened to glance this way.

Further into the green edge of Diego's vision was Emil. Dumb kid, blew his ear off, about all he knew of him. He couldn't hear the words, but he could make out the faces. Emil, dumb kid. Blew his ear off. All that mattered about him.

A roar came from the slope, Lorenzo swung his hammer, and Diego told himself that he would see this to completion. He needed to, he had to. He wanted whatever happened next to burn into his retinas, to acclimatize to it, become numb to it the same way a song loses any joy after listening to it on repeat for long enough.

He kept his eyes wide open during the first few swings, the first trade of blows, up until the hammer landed in Emil's face. A minute or two. There was a spray of red, the boy staggered. Diego's eyes stung, but he blinked tears away, let the wounds and bruises viewed from afar embed themselves in his pupils.

That should've been it, he thought. It was a blade in the face, no one should be able to recover from that. But, Emil tossed his jacket aside. Still remained standing. Lorenzo lunged, swung again, Emil sidestepped, and all of a sudden, his only hope was on the ground.

Get up, Emil said to Lorenzo, a horizon away, unheard by Diego. "Get up," Diego whispered, a horizon from Lorenzo, unheard. There was no one else. If Lorenzo died, right here, then there wouldn't be anyone else Diego could turn to. No one else could change Diego the way he needed to be changed. He didn't look up to anyone else the way he looked up to Lorenzo, even now.

Seconds in a Hunter High hallway, walking from one class to another, Lorenzo going the other way. Lorenzo's green hair would stick out above the crowd. Diego's eyes always lingered four seconds, not three on Lorenzo. That extra second meant everything. It was enough to force Diego to turn his head, watch as he turned the corner, one boy or another hand in hand with him. Diego, a face in the crowd, wanted that. He wanted to be able to do that, to clasp his fingers around through another man's hand. He wanted someone to grab him by the hand. He wanted to be the someone hand in hand with Lorenzo.

He wanted no one else.

"Get up," Diego whispered, a quiet prayer.

"Get up," he said, a plea.

And Lorenzo obliged. Held breath exhaled from Diego's lungs.

Another boy entered the scene. Emmett, another member of Lorenzo's clique. He shouted something, Emil looked.

Lorenzo swung.

A scream, he wasn't sure whose.

More shouting, a spray of red. And Lorenzo swung again, into Emil's face. Again. And again. And again. The slap of meat against a chopping board. A cracking, muffled by the cushion of flesh surrounding it.

Chunks of bile splattered on the ground, next to Diego's feet. Screams came in the background, from someone other than Emil.

He almost didn't want to follow, after that.

Diego was complicit, in a way. Lorenzo had been out of his element. If he had been so inclined, he could've walked up to Lorenzo while he was preoccupied with Emil. He could've walked up, and made those same sounds himself, the same slap of meat, the same muffled cracking.

But that would be missing the point. That would leave him without whatever had brought him halfway across the island.

And complicity was progress, anyways. Another step to wherever Lorenzo was, right now.

He looked up to see a gun pointed, wavering. Demetri's, he'd always hated him. Feared him. He had heard of what he did to Emmett, how he outed him, how he could maybe perhaps do the same to him. It still mattered to Diego, slightly.

All that quickly became irrelevant, as Lorenzo ran away. Diego wiped his mouth, and followed.

((Diego Larrosa continues in Still Waiting))
[+] the youfs
[+] V7
V7:
Dead:
B083 - Diego Larrosa - Palayain mo na ako. - He didn't want this. say goodnight to the bad guy [10/159]
Current Theme Music: Devil Town (v1) - cavetown
Weapon: Tactical Combat Shovel
Previous Threads: Love & Money - before the day is done, my prince is gonna come - How Far I'll Go - Gimme, Gimme Shelter or I'm Gonna Fade Away - no one round here's good at keeping their eyes closed - Still Waiting - Hell is Other People - RICH_BOY_LIKES_IT_ROUGH.MP4 - I Don't Wanna Be Myself - The Bell Tolls For Our Funeral - The Gang Goes Out For Breakfast - Untrust Us - Crimewaves - Love itself is just as innocent as roses in May - Will All Be Forgiven? - black eyes looking up from below - Silent Key - it's ok we're just scared - life's alright in devil town - Beyond Human (Barely Human) - And Now Those Days Are Over and We Are All Ghosts - The Ultimate Test of Cerebral Fitness - Ang Pagbibinata ni Diego Larrosa - perverse verdict - Madness in the Method - park the car, drop that phone, sleep on the floor, dream about me
Memories: Hiya sa Timog

G013 - Yuka Hayashibara (adopted from Ryuki!) - Does it spark joy? - She fixed up her look in one of a kind [46/159]
Current Theme Music: Play With Me - DDLC OST
Weapon: Bug-A-Salt Camofly 2.0 Insect Eradication Gun
Previous Threads: Quintessential Thinking - I Pray to the Lord You Reveal what His Truth is - all of our heroes fading - now i can't stand to be alone - Incredible Adventures - there's a pale imitation burnt in my eyes - Red Of Tooth And Claw - The Fifth Announcement - Low Times - Party Like It's 1999 - Hell and You - We're All Excited, We Don't Know Why, Maybe It's 'Cause, We're Gonna Die - Ron Gets a Bath As Well, Whether He Wants To or Not - No Exit
Pregame: In Vino Veritas - Shake It Out
Memories: Hayashibara Heart to Heart
Prom: Fear and Delight
Trip: Room 832: Welcome to the Witching Hour

G052 - Joanne Coleman (adopted from Cicada!) - I've got a thick skin and an elastic heart. - She tried to do something in Sleep Is The Cousin Of Death [116/159]
Current Theme Music: When You Die - MGMT
Weapon: George Hunter High School mascot costume
Previous Threads: hold on to this lullaby - Don't Stray Off The Path - D.R.E.A.M. - I'm Not That Nice, I'm Mean and I'm Evil - we keep these promises, write it in a letter
Pregame: You did not break me. I'm still fighting for peace. - Desperate Times - Heavy is the Head That Wears the Crown - Do You Have The Time - i'm so 3008
Memories: I'm alright. I'm just fine. And you're a tool, so. - Make A New Cult Every Day

G075 - Aditi Sharma (adopted from Brackie! and somer!) - She failed in Yellow Light [88/159]
Weapon: Browning Hi Power 9mm
Previous Threads: Pandorama - Antisocial Darwinism - My Lucifer Is Lonely - They Couldn't Buy A Fucking Toaster. They're Broke, John.
[+] V6
V6 Characters:
G062 - Olivia Fischer prayed a thousand prayers in Ye Not [37/107]
Previous Threads: Sæglópur - Until all our yesterdays are lighted fools... - the way to dusty death - a concrete cave - I'd Say That I've Had Worse Days, but Then I'd Be Lying - Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying - Until Then, You Are Free - Cast in the Name of God
Memories: Sometimes when we reach for the stars...
Weapon: Lobotomy pick.
[+] V5
Dead:
B045 - Juhan Levandi - An Estonian wanna-be journalist with a fear of the dark who wanted to bring them all down in Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien [18/152]
Weapon: Party Bag (contains a noisemaker, party hat, two single-serving bags of candy, and a Hotwheels car)
Pre-Game Threads: Wiping All Out - Quixotic
Previous V5 Threads: Despair - The Real Folk Blues - The two people in the distance were Paulo and Becca - Mischief Managed - Sleeper Cell - Tell No Tales - So, How Was Your Day? - And I'm Not Sleeping Now - Intermission - Glass - A Manic Depressive Named Laughing Boy
G067 - Carmina Maliksi - A Filipina car junkie with a /slight/ obsession with Korea and Japan who has finished things up (somewhat) in Red as Blood [139/152]
Weapon: Non-Functional Flamethrower (left in the Clubhouse)
Previous V5 Threads: Finding Center - Wish I Could Breathe - The Visionary
Memories: Offended?
B054 - Oscar Trig (adopted from Greg the Anti-Viking) - An artist who desperately needs a pencil, paper and a cigar and thought with his heart in Fumble [76/152]
Weapon: Binoculars
Pregame Threads: Taking it to the Streets
Previous V5 Threads: Waking Up at the Beginning of Time - Steadier Footing - Handoff
[+] misc
[+] meirl
new resting place for chatsig never forget 2018
give my v8 kids friends pls

Return to “Upper Wilderness”