Although I'm Sad, You Won't See Me Cry

open once laurels and burnitup posts day7, pre-announcement

The bay is where boats would have come in to dock when they arrived at the island. The first thing they would have seen is a large ‘Welcome’ sign painted in rainbow colours. There is a thin strip of seaweed-covered sand running the length of the bay that acts as as the ‘beach’ area, although it was rarely used when compared to the larger beach on the island.
Melusine

Although I'm Sad, You Won't See Me Cry

Post by Melusine »

"Yeah, we can't move her." She looked at Katrina. "You."

((Willow continued from here.))

She honestly kinda liked the whole 'field surgeon' look. It made her feel like she was doing something important. She had swapped gloves around but her mask had stayed the same. It felt nice on her face. It was a barrier between herself and the cameras. It was cool to be like that.

"'m scared the stitches will open up if we move and," Willow looked at the pile of sand that laid Roxie in her final rest.

They should have thrown her in the ocean. But Willow didn't say that. Roxie's wish to be buried was upheld, and even if Willow thought it was the dumbest shit ever, Roxie was still buried. It was a half-assed job since they had no proper equipment and a recovering Kat on their hands.

"Let's just hope they don't DZ the beach because..."

She let herself trail off. Katrina was going to die like everyone else. Willow had this selfish need to be proven right, but she didn't want Katrina to suffer because of that. It was just a question of balance. Adjusting the pain of her allies to fit her goal, her endgame plan.

"Anyways." Willow dragged her thumb across the pike of the whip. She looked back at the ocean. Willow wondered if her parents were still watching. She hoped they were. "You think someone will rescue us?"

The water was the color of lead. It felt that she could drown herself in that sight.

"I don't think..." Willow shook her head and shrugged, "that's going to happen, but it would be nice, right?"
TheLordOfAwesome

Post by TheLordOfAwesome »

((Sierra Cook continued from Party Like It's 1999))

Well, shit was fucked.

All things considered, Sierra had it easy when it cam to the island. Hell, beyond the first day she didn't even see a bit of conflict at all. It was all easy street of wandering around with Willow, Kat and Roxie tagging along. Things were, for a lack of a better term, fine.

Then... yesterday happened.

Kat was hurt and Roxie was shot in the head.

That was fucked.

Granted, she wasn't exactly close to them as she had become with Willow, but it was a grim reminder of the situation at hand. Especially with Roxie. Poor girl. At least they gave her the burial she requested, even if it was haphazardly done. At least, if nothing else, they did some kind of good while here by honoring that request.

Still, shit sucked and Sierra seriously wished for some weed or booze to take the edge off.

Willow was talking about rescue and Sierra couldn't help but frown. How could she think that? Sierra had long since given up the hope of someone coming for them. Hell, would they even want to rescue her and Willow? Assuming they knew what was going down on this island, then why would they save two people who mugged and robbed their fellow classmates. Even if they did get rescued, where would they go?

Home? They can't go home. There are lines that people cross. If they're lucky, they do what they need to and then they die. Sierra had no delusions that all that was waiting for her was either an empty house or a cold, dirty street.

"If there is a rescue," Sierra said in a sardonic tone. "Then they're sure as hell taking their sweet ass time..."
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

((Katrina Lavell continued from Party Like It's 1999))

Katrina stared out into the sea. She had barely moved in the last few hours, not wanting to disrupt her new stitches. Katrina had never gotten stitches before, and it hurt a lot to get them done. She'd now have to spend the rest of the time on the island conscious of the fact that they could rip open and she could bleed out. That thought terrified her.

But being more conscious was going to be something she'd have to be from now on. Roxie's death and Yuka's rage made it clear that Katrina was all talk and no walk. She could talk about trying to atone and be better, but all she did was create more misery by leaving Yuko to rot and maiming her last remaining sister. And now Roxie was dead, buried on this beach, with Katrina unable to do much but watch Willow and Sierra do it and then awkwardly try to sing "La Mer" again. It was the last song Roxie heard, so she thought it would be fine. But she barely got past the first chorus before falling back into tears.

The other girls were talking about rescue and whether they'd come or not. Katrina just kept staring out at the sea. She had changed her shirt back to the KL shirt she was wearing on the first day and had redone her hair into a messy bun. The nodachi laid across Katrina's lap as she stared out.

"Happy we'll be, beyond the sea," she muttered to herself. "And never again, I'll go sailing."

It wasn't French, but being beyond the sea was preferable to anything else Katrina was doing right now.

She pulled her legs close to her chest, the nodachi fixed between them and buried her face in her knees.
Melusine

Post by Melusine »

"Yeah," Willow looked at Roxie's leg sitting against a rock, "we're all going to be dead in like... minimum three days, so."

Willow still hoped for a rescue because there was a gnawing reminder that she was running out of time to do everything she wanted to do. If anything, she was getting bored of the island. It was fun for the first couple of days, but now, it was a hassle to get through the morning.

"I don't know," Willow shrugged. Her hand trailed against Sierra's inner thigh.

There was the hard buzzing of the announcement and Willow's body tensed up.

Charelle Chernyshyova and Aditi Sharma died because of a fire. Tragic, but she didn't really have the time to dwell on it because it was followed with Wyatt. Willow turned toward Sierra, putting her free hand to her mouth. She was holding back a giggle. Tanisha then Camille, two people she knew from class but not from friendships.

Then, the nail in the coffin, Marco.

Willow couldn't help herself but laugh. It was hilarious. First Wyatt then Marco, she would expect Faith next but tragically she wasn't there.

"This is great," she whispered, her hand gripping Sierra's inner thigh, "I mean... super sad..."

She faked a sad face, but couldn't resist giggling again.
TheLordOfAwesome

Willow was so close to her now, it felt comforting for Sierra. A foreign hand was placed upon her inner thigh made Sierra smiled and wrapped an arm around Willow's shoulder. How long would they get to stay like this? Their days were numbered as far as they knew, so would it be bad to enjoy the proximity with each other with what time they had left? They were girlfriends, but it was okay to be close with another in these troubled times.

Then the announcements came. Sierra raised her head in astute alertness, listening with intent as each name was listed off.

First two went by and she was quick to dismiss the names of the dead. They weren't relevant anymore. Especially since they weren't killed by anyone, just their own stupidity for ticking off the people with the remotes to their collars. The third person to be named was a surprise though. Wyatt Carter. Sierra was completely shocked to hear that Wyatt was dead. Actually, physically dead. The crown prince of douchebags himself was fucking dead and gone with a bullet to the head.

And his death was announced with a Humpty-Dumpty joke. A grin spread across her face, a giggling began to resonate from her throat. A sense of pure joy just washed over her. It felt good. It felt really good. Maybe it was fucked up that she was enjoying in the death of a fellow classmate, but fuck it, Wyatt was a no good son of a bitch and he had it coming. Her only regret was that she didn't get to see it or the look on the face of that whore, Faith.

Fuck Wyatt. Just fuck him.

After everything he did to her, everything he said. He had it coming.

He was dead and NOTHING OF VALUE WAS LOST.

A couple more people's names were listed. The dead were cast away from memory, the names of the killers were what were important at the moment. She had to be prepared should she cross them.

Another surprise, Marco was dead. That guy she robbed on the first day was finally put down. It was amusing somewhat, and Willow seemed to agree as she gripped Sierra's thigh and giggled over the news. Sierra looked at her partner, giving her a smirk and a sultry look.

More names listed. Eventually Roxie came up. Apparently the person who shot her was Michael Froese, who was...

"Who the fuck is Michael Froese?" she asked, look at Willow and Kat with a look of genuine confusion.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Katrina stopped singing to herself when the announcements came on. She perked her head up, a single trail of a mascara tear tracing down her left cheek. She had to listen in to this one. She just had to know what happened after the beach fight yesterday.

Charelle was dead. That meant Katrina was the only person left from the house group. Except for Tyrell, that is. After all that madness, Tyrell was still alive. The two who ruined everything for everyone there were still alive. Katrina felt sick thinking of that privilege.

Willow and Sierra seemed to have stronger reactions to other names. Wyatt Carter and Marco Volker were dead. She did hear that they encountered Marco earlier, but she wasn't sure about Wyatt. Maybe Wyatt's death was celebrated because of how he was back home. She wasn't sure. She steered clear of him, so she couldn't say if she was happy he was gone.

More names appeared. Sven was dead, meaning Katrina was the last person from the lighthouse group on the first day. How was it that she was becoming the sole survivor of so many groups? Was there really a reason, or was it just selfishness and dumb luck? She wasn't sure.

Yuka was then announced for killing Roxie, along with Michael Froese. Katrina wasn't sure who he was, but he must have been the one who shot Roxie. The announcements finished without Yuka being listed as a victim. Katrina knew that it wasn't likely you could die from getting your fingers chopped off, but she had to wonder if it was possible. With her luck, she had every right to assume her maiming of Yuka could be fatal.

Once the announcements were done, Katrina let out a sigh. She then fell back, stretching her legs out so she could lay flat on the sand and stare up at the sky. They had been on this island for a week now, and half the field trip group had been killed. So many people were dead, so many families were ruined, and through all of that, Katrina was still alive.

Why?

She continued to stare up at the sky, as if the answer would come from it.
Melusine

Post by Melusine »

"I don't know," she did know, "I think he's an incel or something."

Willow knew Michael in a way that didn't raise any alarm flags. She wondered why he shot at her. Was she just in the way of someone else? Or did he have some type of spite against her? Willow didn't know for sure.

"He killed Camila." Willow kept trailing her finger against Sierra's thigh. "He also won that BKA thing. Mhm..."

It was a fun puzzle to crack. The exact type of thing that made Willow keep moving in this world of death and suffering. A small puzzle to push into the right places until it made a perfect picture. There wasn't any hints dropping from the sky and she kept her eyes trained on the ocean.

"Oh." She said softly. "He's part of the science club or some nerdy shit."

She blamed science class for this.

Michael would always do the same topic for every and each exposition in science class: marine biology.

There always whales, fish, medusas, more fish, old fish, ugly fish, deepsea fish (which Willow liked, actually) and ctenophores. She remembered that one specifically because Willow had talked to Michael about it because it just sounded as if it wasn't a real type of fish. He even showed the Wikipedia page for it to prove his point.

Technically, she was proven wrong, but she knew that shit was totally faked. Ctenophores can't be real, it's not even a real word.

Anyways.

"Yeah. I think I know him." Willow shrugged. "Don't know why he would shoot at me though."
TheLordOfAwesome

"Oh right, he was mentioned before wasn't he?" Sierra muttered casually, as if she had just remembered some anecdote from some misadventure she overheard during the school lunch. "I honestly know next to nothing about him."

In fact, she didn't even know what he looked like. Try as she might, trying to put a face to the name felt impossible. He might as well be an urban legend to her for all his name has to offer her.

The announcements came to a close and she only just realized that she didn't catch the last few names. She was so wrapped up in the conversation that she neglected to pay attention. Clicking her tongue, she mentally kicked herself for being so sloppy. That would surely bite her in the ass later if something important was in there.

Sierra looked to Willow, then down to Kat who was laying on the ground, staring up to the sky.

"You alright?" she asked. "Feeling okay? You aren't lightheaded or anything, right?"
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Katrina continued to stare up at the sky. The girls were still talking about the dead and incels and whatever. Katrina could hardly pay attention. Her mind was in a vortex right now, and all she could do was stare up at the sky. As she lay there, thoughts moved all about.

Thoughts, accompanied by a melody.

Where did it all start?
Where did it all go wrong?
Where did the cacophony start
to drown out Katrina's song?

Was it because Katrina was scared?
Or because Tyrell was mad?
Was it because Katrina didn't know
the full effect of her sword?

Was it because of the terrorists
and their evil games?
Was it something deep within Katrina
buried in those Lavell genes?

As she lay there
looking at the sky
all she could do was ask
why, why, why?

But the clouds parted,
the rays shone through
and that's when Katrina knew
exactly what to do.

The song ended, and Katrina glanced over to Sierra.

She paused.

"I want to tie up loose ends," she said to Sierra, her voice hoarse and dry.

Katrina pushed herself off the sand and sat upright. She moved to clutch the nodachi.

"I'm going to kill Tyrell. And then I'll find Yuka, and I'll let her kill me."
Melusine

Post by Melusine »

“Uuuuhhhhhhhhhhh,” Willow said, her tone dropping a couple of octaves, “that’s fucked up, Taylor Swift.”

Willow looked at the pile of the sand that covered what used to be Roxie and she wasn’t sure if she were ready to do this again. Actually, she wasn’t even able to fathom the idea of burying Katrina, it just made her feel kinda sick. Perhaps it was the fact she was preggo or whatever bullshit, but the idea of dragging Katrina in a grave made her stomach turn.

Unless Katrina meant something else but it was kinda hard to not to imagine the suicide of her friend.

Was she even her friend at this point? Willow didn’t know. She didn’t know much. Everything around was blurry and strange and mythical, and Willow has to describe it with words and feelings that were completely limited to her.

“I-.”

14 year old Willow came back. It didn’t happen a lot. It was something that occurred a lot after the first few months. Dr. Munch was positive she didn’t have PTSD, but she still felt the figurative noose wrapping itself around her neck whenever she remembered. She also remembered the pain.

But the smell was worse. Why was she tearing up? Her fingers dug into her arm. That wasn’t supposed to happen, she was strong now. Strong girls don’t cry, they fight and they fight some more until their enemies are defeated. So why was it back? Why did she feel sick again?

Her head was spinning as she tried to put words on her feelings but her mouth lacked the initiative to help.

She was blabbering. “Are you sure?” Was what she meant to say, but it sounded more like the slurred speech of the drunk man she met after getting dumped by a guy. It made her feel sick. She wasn’t supposed to be like this again. Willow was stronger, she had grown over her wound and her scars were there to prove it.

So why did Katrina’s plan hurt so much?

“Are you sure?” She repeated, this time clearer. Her eyes started to tear. “Please tell me you’re joking.”
TheLordOfAwesome

Sierra frowned at Kat's declaration of what she intended to do with her remaining time.

Settling accounts... An interesting idea. Tyrell certainly had it coming, sooner or later that guy was bound to get a bullet in his back for what he did. Of that she wouldn't object to assisting Kat in that task. There are few things in life more satisfying and gratifying than revenge. But... allowing Yuka to kill her... That didn't sit right with Sierra. It was a disquieting feeling. Did she feel like she owned Yuka that much for killing Yuko? It was an accident, completely out of her control. Who could reasonably blame her for her actions in the heat of a moment?

Sierra looked to Willow. It seemed her partner wasn't handling the news that well, her eyes almost in tears.

"Hey, hey, hey now..." Sierra shushed in quiet tone, wrapping an arm around Willow's shoulder and petting her arm in a reassuring manner.

Sierra looked back to Kat, giving her sad look.

"Is that what you really want, Kat?" she asked.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

It wasn’t until she heard Willow and Sierra’s responses that Katrina found herself doubting her plan. She had made it with such certainty, but now she was back to feeling wrong about it. To any outside observer, it was obviously insane. She was proudly declaring that she’d kill a guy she hadn’t seen in a week, and then that she’d commit suicide by proxy.

Katrina sighed a bit.

“I mean, I guess,” Katrina told the girls. “But I dunno. I know it’s insane. Nothing says I’ll find them, or that I’d be able to kill Tyrell, or that Yuka would be able to kill me. Nothing says I’d be able to do this. But...”

Katrina moved one hand off the nodachi and began tracing a circle in the sand with her index finger.

“But what’s left? I will never be forgiven for what I did on the first day. I will never be able to go home and face my family for what I have done here. I spent so much time trying to figure out who I was and what I should do with my life, and all that’s happened is that everything has been taken away from me. I don’t know who I am or what I’m supposed to do.”

“But I guess I could try to take responsibility. For once. My mom once said that half-measures wrecked a recipe, and that’s all I’ve done here. I didn’t protect my allies from Tyrell. I didn’t do right by Yuko. And I couldn’t do anything to save Roxie.”

Katrina stopped tracing along the sand.

“I’m going to die here. But shouldn’t I die knowing I followed through on something?”

She looked over her companions. Willow was so frail, but she was much stronger than she was. Sierra was cooler and more heroic than Katrina had ever been. They could protect each other. They could do right by each other. For Willow’s baby.

“Is that stupid?”
Melusine

Post by Melusine »

"I mean..."

Willow didn't finish that sentence. Katrina wasn't wrong, but she wasn't right. Willow didn't know how to say it because she knew any words she would say that could make the situation better.

The hard facts were that Katrina wanted to sacrifice herself to become something else than her current fate. Willow did understand the reasoning: it was in the same branch as the killers that roamed the island but it was something that was more selfless than theirs. It was a goal with a direction and a path that Katrina could, and would, follow without any doubts in her mind.

Willow's breathing slowed down to a normal pace. She closed her eyes and then pictured her eyes pumping out oxygen in her bloodflow, and slowly but surely, she felt better. Willow counted up to three inside of her head and then she was back in the conversation. The tears were sniffed back and Willow tugged at her own hair.

"I don't like it."

But Katrina's plan was something. Willow was trying to grasp at intangible feelings and plans and ideas, and they always swallowed her up. Katrina, however, was tangible and sitting right there in front of her. She was real.

"...but I'd like... to help..?"
TheLordOfAwesome

"Stupid? Well... Maybe."

Taking responsibility... She got why Kat wanted to do what she was saying she was intending to do, but at the same time she couldn't help but feel like she was just giving up. Sierra doubt she could change her mind. This was a pretty big descion on Kat's part and likely one she had been considering for a while. Roxie death was likely what set her mind on it.

Still, she couldn't let her go at this alone. If things go wrong, someone's gotta be there to pull her out of the figurative fire.

"I agree with Willow, I don't like it." she said. "But, I'm still willing to help."
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Katrina awaited their responses. She expected them to be upset, or to protest. To say she was an idiot and to knock the idea out of her using Roxie's prosthetic leg. But they were with her. They may not have totally agreed, but they wanted to help. Katrina felt like she could start crying. All this madness and somehow she found girls who would follow her no matter what. Was this the sort of bond soldiers had?

Katrina sniffled and sighed.

"Okay. I'm glad to hear that."

Even though she was, suddenly, Katrina found herself forlorn. She was heading towards death if she was going after Tyrell and Yuka, whether Tyrell struck her down or Yuka was able to exact her revenge. It would have been easy to go alone if that was the case. Sierra could protect Willow, and the two of them (plus the baby), would be more guaranteed to survive. Going with her would put them at risk.

She had to at least have some guarantee they wouldn't die because of her.

"But, if you do, we have to have some things made clear."

Katrina stood up, keeping the nodachi by her side.

"If we find Tyrell or Yuka, you guys have to leave me with them. I don't want them to kill you, so if we find them, go away, and leave me behind to deal with them."

Return to “The Bay”