we keep these promises, write it in a letter

The woods themselves are still lush and green, with copious amounts of vegetation. Due to all the foot travel over the years, paths are still present even as the ferns start to grow. Despite this, it is still easy to get lost if one was to venture off the path as the woods are quite densely packed.

Thread Limit: 3
Maraoone

we keep these promises, write it in a letter

Post by Maraoone »

((Joanne pushed herself up.))

She had tripped on a root, and she guessed it was just her luck that the root hadn't started to swallow her. Maybe in due time.

Her forehead pulsated, like the trees, except not. It was different. It felt more physical, more internal. More aggressive. It felt warm, too.

That energy that had coursed through her just moments earlier was out of grasp, unharnessed. So, she fell onto her back with a thud.

Her hand went to her forehead, and she noticed that it left little trails in the air. The trails didn't calm her, but it was calming to look at them, if that made sense. Not like anything else made sense right now, but that was par for the course for the past few hours.

She waggled her fingers in front of her with her other hand, her signature wave, but different, with lines bobbing up and down, following her fingers as they waved to and fro. As if she were saying hi or bye, the difference didn't matter, to the trees above. Greeting them. They could come get her now.

And so, for a moment, or moments, she just laid there, flat on her back, one hand on her forehead, taking in the warm, the internal, the aggressive, and the other hand greeting hellos and goodbyes to the breathing foliage, waiting. Even the leaves seemed to leave trails, she noted. But they no longer seemed to close into her. The world didn't seem to be coming after her, anymore. The world just was. The world just was, and Joanne just was, and that was good. After the chaos, the blur of the past few hours, this felt nice. She felt at peace for the first time in a long, long while.

Her hand fell from the sky to her face, at one point, and all of a sudden, her surroundings had darkened. She worried it had been the darkening from earlier, coming back to take her. If not the roots, then the shadows themselves would take her. Then, she removed her hand from her face, and things still seemed dim, but naturally so. She removed her other hand from her forehead, waggled it, and the tracers that followed were rusty. She took a closer look at her hand, and pulled the fingers together and apart, and they felt sticky.

Her hand was bloody.

She put her hand on her forehead, and that too was sticky. Red flakes fell off from her as she removed her hand again. It wasn't bleeding, anymore, but it had been at one point.

So it didn't matter anymore. The wound had healed.

She had never bled this much before, but she didn't feel worried. She didn't feel panicked. She didn't feel anything but okay.

The trees above had turned from enemies to companions, watching over her as she healed. The world seemed to come together.

It felt familiar.

She had felt this before

It felt like

A friend, she didn't care to remember the name right now, had seen past Joanne, at a party. Mom and Dad had been fighting right before she left, she hadn't been able to hide it from Tanka and Rudo. They heard every word, they had looked so scared. And she had just run away. And she was supposed to take care of them, she was supposed to make the world as innocent and care-free as it had been for her. They deserved what she had had, at one point. And they didn't have that right now, and she was supposed to do that, but she had just run away from it, because she couldn't bear to hear another fucking second of Mom calling Dad a deadbeat, Dad calling Mom a whore, and so and so forth, ad infinitum.

She had run away to her fourth party in as many days. And said unnamed friend had seen past her, saw the tensed shoulders and stares into space, heard the too-long spaces between question and answer, the slight shakiness, waviness in her words, as if any further bit of pressure would cause her vocal cords to give way. The friend had seen past Joanne, and had seen something that was not Joanne, as far as Joanne was concerned. The friend saw this, and offered salvation in the form of a few pills.

She didn't know why she had done it, even with everything on her mind. She just knew that she had done it. And things had felt alright for a few hours after that. Everything had fallen into place. Things didn't matter as much. She'd get past this, eventually, one way or another. She had enjoyed the evening, for once.

it felt like that.

Joanne hadn't done anything unsavory that night, but after it wore off, she found herself wanting, wanting for it, more than she had for anything in the longest time. And she saw how quickly other things, food, alcohol, had settled themselves into her wallet, her parties, her life, how they had refused to let go, how they had become ever-present. And then she looked back to the pills, and that terrified her.

So, she never looked back. Her head had been pulled to the side every now and then, that calmness, that satisfaction beckoning, but she had never looked back. Until now.

They had seen all this, then. Tanks, Roodz, Mom, Dad. They had seen her fall. They had seen her scream. She had tried her best to be above all that, and she failed.

It hadn't been her fault. At least, not that she remembered. Maybe it'd come to her when this wore off. It hadn't been her fault, but she still failed. She hadn't set an example.

But, there was a thought, right there. 'When this wore off.' And, she remembered, the Xanax hadn't been permanent. The calmness had gone away, things stopped being okay, after a while. Like always. But that meant that this too would pass. The trees breathing, swallowing, taking in. The panic. The darkening.

The falling had passed, after all. So that meant she still had time. Time to do something.

She laid down on the ground, taking in the raindrops. The pitpat felt funny, like her mom tapping her on the forehead, playing a little game with her. She would tap her to wake her up from her naps, back when she was a little kid. It tickled, a bit. She giggled at the sensation. She blocked the rain from her eyes with her hand, and waggled her fingers again, eyes focused on the tracers. That would pass too, sadly. But, not yet. Things felt good, finally. Things were silly, yeah, but it would pass. What it would pass into didn't matter at the moment, but it was enough to know that it would pass, and maybe a better thing or two awaited her somewhere. She still had Adele, Tanisha, the whole island out there waiting for her. Things would pass, things would be okay.

((Joanne Coleman continues in Sleep Is The Cousin Of Death))
[+] the youfs
[+] V7
V7:
Dead:
B083 - Diego Larrosa - Palayain mo na ako. - He didn't want this. say goodnight to the bad guy [10/159]
Current Theme Music: Devil Town (v1) - cavetown
Weapon: Tactical Combat Shovel
Previous Threads: Love & Money - before the day is done, my prince is gonna come - How Far I'll Go - Gimme, Gimme Shelter or I'm Gonna Fade Away - no one round here's good at keeping their eyes closed - Still Waiting - Hell is Other People - RICH_BOY_LIKES_IT_ROUGH.MP4 - I Don't Wanna Be Myself - The Bell Tolls For Our Funeral - The Gang Goes Out For Breakfast - Untrust Us - Crimewaves - Love itself is just as innocent as roses in May - Will All Be Forgiven? - black eyes looking up from below - Silent Key - it's ok we're just scared - life's alright in devil town - Beyond Human (Barely Human) - And Now Those Days Are Over and We Are All Ghosts - The Ultimate Test of Cerebral Fitness - Ang Pagbibinata ni Diego Larrosa - perverse verdict - Madness in the Method - park the car, drop that phone, sleep on the floor, dream about me
Memories: Hiya sa Timog

G013 - Yuka Hayashibara (adopted from Ryuki!) - Does it spark joy? - She fixed up her look in one of a kind [46/159]
Current Theme Music: Play With Me - DDLC OST
Weapon: Bug-A-Salt Camofly 2.0 Insect Eradication Gun
Previous Threads: Quintessential Thinking - I Pray to the Lord You Reveal what His Truth is - all of our heroes fading - now i can't stand to be alone - Incredible Adventures - there's a pale imitation burnt in my eyes - Red Of Tooth And Claw - The Fifth Announcement - Low Times - Party Like It's 1999 - Hell and You - We're All Excited, We Don't Know Why, Maybe It's 'Cause, We're Gonna Die - Ron Gets a Bath As Well, Whether He Wants To or Not - No Exit
Pregame: In Vino Veritas - Shake It Out
Memories: Hayashibara Heart to Heart
Prom: Fear and Delight
Trip: Room 832: Welcome to the Witching Hour

G052 - Joanne Coleman (adopted from Cicada!) - I've got a thick skin and an elastic heart. - She tried to do something in Sleep Is The Cousin Of Death [116/159]
Current Theme Music: When You Die - MGMT
Weapon: George Hunter High School mascot costume
Previous Threads: hold on to this lullaby - Don't Stray Off The Path - D.R.E.A.M. - I'm Not That Nice, I'm Mean and I'm Evil - we keep these promises, write it in a letter
Pregame: You did not break me. I'm still fighting for peace. - Desperate Times - Heavy is the Head That Wears the Crown - Do You Have The Time - i'm so 3008
Memories: I'm alright. I'm just fine. And you're a tool, so. - Make A New Cult Every Day

G075 - Aditi Sharma (adopted from Brackie! and somer!) - She failed in Yellow Light [88/159]
Weapon: Browning Hi Power 9mm
Previous Threads: Pandorama - Antisocial Darwinism - My Lucifer Is Lonely - They Couldn't Buy A Fucking Toaster. They're Broke, John.
[+] V6
V6 Characters:
G062 - Olivia Fischer prayed a thousand prayers in Ye Not [37/107]
Previous Threads: Sæglópur - Until all our yesterdays are lighted fools... - the way to dusty death - a concrete cave - I'd Say That I've Had Worse Days, but Then I'd Be Lying - Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying - Until Then, You Are Free - Cast in the Name of God
Memories: Sometimes when we reach for the stars...
Weapon: Lobotomy pick.
[+] V5
Dead:
B045 - Juhan Levandi - An Estonian wanna-be journalist with a fear of the dark who wanted to bring them all down in Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien [18/152]
Weapon: Party Bag (contains a noisemaker, party hat, two single-serving bags of candy, and a Hotwheels car)
Pre-Game Threads: Wiping All Out - Quixotic
Previous V5 Threads: Despair - The Real Folk Blues - The two people in the distance were Paulo and Becca - Mischief Managed - Sleeper Cell - Tell No Tales - So, How Was Your Day? - And I'm Not Sleeping Now - Intermission - Glass - A Manic Depressive Named Laughing Boy
G067 - Carmina Maliksi - A Filipina car junkie with a /slight/ obsession with Korea and Japan who has finished things up (somewhat) in Red as Blood [139/152]
Weapon: Non-Functional Flamethrower (left in the Clubhouse)
Previous V5 Threads: Finding Center - Wish I Could Breathe - The Visionary
Memories: Offended?
B054 - Oscar Trig (adopted from Greg the Anti-Viking) - An artist who desperately needs a pencil, paper and a cigar and thought with his heart in Fumble [76/152]
Weapon: Binoculars
Pregame Threads: Taking it to the Streets
Previous V5 Threads: Waking Up at the Beginning of Time - Steadier Footing - Handoff
[+] misc
[+] meirl
new resting place for chatsig never forget 2018
give my v8 kids friends pls

Return to “The Woods”