Quintessential Thinking

The woods themselves are still lush and green, with copious amounts of vegetation. Due to all the foot travel over the years, paths are still present even as the ferns start to grow. Despite this, it is still easy to get lost if one was to venture off the path as the woods are quite densely packed.

Thread Limit: 3
Namira

Quintessential Thinking

Post by Namira »

"Useless."

Quinn held the whip in a loose loop in her hand, staring at it with unconcealed antipathy. Great. If everyone she ran into stood very still and obliged while she fumbled around trying to get the correct technique down, then she was going to have this in the bag easily.

A darn whip. She'd wanted a knife.

She considered throwing it away, and then shook her head and placed the leather loop back into her bag. There was utility in the right circumstances, and it wasn't heavy enough to weigh her down. Better to keep the item she hesitated to call a weapon concealed though, otherwise the facts of the matter would be readily apparent to any onlooker. The mystery of an unseen threat was a much more potent tool in her arsenal than anything she could pull off with a whip. Not knowing what she was armed with would give some people pause before threatening her, and any slender advantage was worthwhile.

She'd had a short while to assess, organise her thoughts. The sight of the vice-principal being murdered had, she felt understandably, damaged her composure; not that there had been much of any of that left after being dropped into what most people would deem a nightmare. Quinn couldn't call herself thrilled either. Most people had considered the scenario at one point or another, no? What would happen if the terrorist attacks returned again. In a detached kind of way she'd been sure that SOTF wasn't dead; terrorists didn't just stop, they got what they wanted or they were killed. With no stated objective, one had to assume that SOTF's masterminds hadn't accomplished it and would continue.

That was all abstract, though. Quinn didn't think it was fair to call it complacency, in the same way that not refusing to drive or ride a car on the freeway out of fear of an accident wasn't complacency. Tragedies took place, were spoken about, and then became history, the victims, statistics. Nobody expected it to happen until it happened to them.

Quinn was a statistic now, how novel. Ah, well. She'd been any number of statistics beforehand if anyone cared to chart them. Girls, seniors, graduating students, homoromantic. This one just happened to be a little rarer, no?

A path was laid before her, if she cared to follow it. Packed with dirt and grit, but better than wandering about aimlessly and waiting to die.

Quinn started to walk. First, she needed to meet a person. The rest would become clearer from there.
LeslieFranc

Post by LeslieFranc »

((Cecil Salazar-Loveless continued from the meantime))

He had finally found a path, at least. Way better than nothing, and maybe he’ll just have to pass by a good landmark so he can get a more accurate idea of where exactly he was. It was frustrating, in addition to not knowing where he was, there was also not knowing what he’ll face or how much time he has until he could find even a small win in this whole predicament. But he will just have to push through, just like he always did, and find his own way to victory.

The game has just started anyway, he grimly reminded himself.

So Cecil walked along the path, hoping to see something that will next point him to the right direction.

He saw someone instead.

It was a girl he didn’t recognize, walking in the same path but the opposite direction of him, and she was getting closer. Cecil’s pace itself started slowing down, the map on his hand feeling like an obstacle instead and demanding to get behind the knife in his other hand, which somehow felt heavier but also pulled him to point it at the girl.

He tightened his grip on the knife, which he still had pointed to the ground, just as he finally stopped walking, waiting for the girl to notice him. His thumb hovered around the launching mechanism of the weapon, but he himself thought he should consider that action as a last resort.

Cecil didn’t know her. He wasn’t sure if she was one of the fewer decent people in George Hunter High, or not at all. He didn’t see a reason to attack her. But he should be cautious anyway.

The knife was slightly raised, but still pointing downward at least.

You should kill at least one to get home, came the next grim reminder at that small action.

Cecil ignored it for now. Not the time to ponder about what his choice is going to be for that whole matter.

Not unless what’s going to happen next will have to force him to suddenly choose.

He took a deep breath before saying “Hey.” at the unknown girl. He tried for a small quick smile as he said it, succeeding but finding it so hard to accomplish now. He took a step back as well, keeping distance and ready to bolt if he senses anything off.
Namira

Post by Namira »

"...hi."

Quinn had felt it more likely that an encounter would emerge from the woods than be coming directly back down the path at her, but she supposed that she didn't know how much of a trail led through these trees. Maybe others, like her, had awoken on or barely off the trail, a delivery she wasn't sure she appreciated; she could have been more exposed, she supposed.

She felt momentary surprise to realise that she recognised the person opposite her. Not simply a face she'd seen before, which was to be expected after attending the same school for a number of years, but somebody she knew by name. Cecil was a fellow academic, one that Quinn had always considered herself to be competing with at least within biology classes. She didn't recall that she'd ever worked or studied with him, though. Easier to use as incentive that way.

He held a knife, awkwardly. Quinn considered whether her innate critique of the grip was applicable in this situation. Wielding a weapon to stab someone probably wasn't the same as carving wood now, was it? She felt a small surge of irrational irritation at the confirmation there had been at least one knife in the pool. He smiled at her and backpedalled at the same time. Caution. A reasonable response.

Cecil was much taller than Quinn and she knew better than most what could be done with a knife. Due care and attention was needed.

She pulled her mouth into a small, brief answering smile.

"I don't suppose you saw anything other than trees in that direction?"
Maraoone

Post by Maraoone »

If Yuka Hayashibara kept her arms around her knees, she could never raise her hands to confirm that the cold feeling choking her was indeed a collar. If she never opened her eyes, she would never find herself in the woods, and she could continue believing that she was back home in bed, in the middle of a nightmare.

Closing her eyes had gotten her through eighteen years of life. It had gotten her through the Canon election and all the previous SOTFs. There was no need nor want to stray from course now.

Ten waking minutes had passed like this, with no movement, no sounds. And then, a fly buzzed for half a minute, looking for a nice landing place. The second it settled on Yuka's cheek, she slapped it off, opened her eyes, and all of a sudden the world was ending and screaming.

((G013 - YUKA HAYASHIBARA - START))

A few minutes later and she was walking barefoot down the nearest path, with red puffy eyes and a raw throat. She held her heels with her left hand and her salt gun with her right, with her two bags slung around her shoulder.

She had had her moment of release. She had to get down to business now. Throughout her life, Yuka had always sought the easiest route to happiness. And her sisters were her happiness. Her friends were her happiness. Life without them was literally unimaginable, as in her mind refused to put into pictures or words or thoughts the what-if of a life without them.

She felt Yuko could handle herself just fine for the time being, but Yuki was as small as she was and she was so vulnerable and what if she was as unlucky with her draw as Yuka was, and Yuka shook her head and ran faster down the path ran from her thoughts because if she put any more voice into those thoughts, she would start crying again, and she couldn't, she had to get to them now.

Focused as she was on running, she didn't notice the two blocking the path until she was well within hearing distance. Upon noticing, she stopped, almost falling over as the momentum of her bags carried her forward.

She made sure to stop in a spot without sunlight, hoping that at this distance, about fifteen meters from them, all they could see of her salt gun was the gun-like shape. She needed every bit of leverage she could get, especially as she could see that the guy had something in his hand. A knife, maybe. The gun was held pointing down to her side, casually and visibly there for all to see. She recognized the two as Cecil and Quinn. Of the academically inclined sort, more Yuki's kind of people than Yuka's. But even Yuki hadn't mentioned much about those two. So, they were blank slates.

Her throat still felt like it was closing, as if one more noise would bring her down all over again, but she had to do something other than stand silently. Guarantee safe passage, or maybe pick up a few allies. She hadn't decided yet. But she had to move forward somehow.

A somewhat crackled 'hey there' carried across the gap to Cecil and Quinn.
[+] the youfs
[+] V7
V7:
Dead:
B083 - Diego Larrosa - Palayain mo na ako. - He didn't want this. say goodnight to the bad guy [10/159]
Current Theme Music: Devil Town (v1) - cavetown
Weapon: Tactical Combat Shovel
Previous Threads: Love & Money - before the day is done, my prince is gonna come - How Far I'll Go - Gimme, Gimme Shelter or I'm Gonna Fade Away - no one round here's good at keeping their eyes closed - Still Waiting - Hell is Other People - RICH_BOY_LIKES_IT_ROUGH.MP4 - I Don't Wanna Be Myself - The Bell Tolls For Our Funeral - The Gang Goes Out For Breakfast - Untrust Us - Crimewaves - Love itself is just as innocent as roses in May - Will All Be Forgiven? - black eyes looking up from below - Silent Key - it's ok we're just scared - life's alright in devil town - Beyond Human (Barely Human) - And Now Those Days Are Over and We Are All Ghosts - The Ultimate Test of Cerebral Fitness - Ang Pagbibinata ni Diego Larrosa - perverse verdict - Madness in the Method - park the car, drop that phone, sleep on the floor, dream about me
Memories: Hiya sa Timog

G013 - Yuka Hayashibara (adopted from Ryuki!) - Does it spark joy? - She fixed up her look in one of a kind [46/159]
Current Theme Music: Play With Me - DDLC OST
Weapon: Bug-A-Salt Camofly 2.0 Insect Eradication Gun
Previous Threads: Quintessential Thinking - I Pray to the Lord You Reveal what His Truth is - all of our heroes fading - now i can't stand to be alone - Incredible Adventures - there's a pale imitation burnt in my eyes - Red Of Tooth And Claw - The Fifth Announcement - Low Times - Party Like It's 1999 - Hell and You - We're All Excited, We Don't Know Why, Maybe It's 'Cause, We're Gonna Die - Ron Gets a Bath As Well, Whether He Wants To or Not - No Exit
Pregame: In Vino Veritas - Shake It Out
Memories: Hayashibara Heart to Heart
Prom: Fear and Delight
Trip: Room 832: Welcome to the Witching Hour

G052 - Joanne Coleman (adopted from Cicada!) - I've got a thick skin and an elastic heart. - She tried to do something in Sleep Is The Cousin Of Death [116/159]
Current Theme Music: When You Die - MGMT
Weapon: George Hunter High School mascot costume
Previous Threads: hold on to this lullaby - Don't Stray Off The Path - D.R.E.A.M. - I'm Not That Nice, I'm Mean and I'm Evil - we keep these promises, write it in a letter
Pregame: You did not break me. I'm still fighting for peace. - Desperate Times - Heavy is the Head That Wears the Crown - Do You Have The Time - i'm so 3008
Memories: I'm alright. I'm just fine. And you're a tool, so. - Make A New Cult Every Day

G075 - Aditi Sharma (adopted from Brackie! and somer!) - She failed in Yellow Light [88/159]
Weapon: Browning Hi Power 9mm
Previous Threads: Pandorama - Antisocial Darwinism - My Lucifer Is Lonely - They Couldn't Buy A Fucking Toaster. They're Broke, John.
[+] V6
V6 Characters:
G062 - Olivia Fischer prayed a thousand prayers in Ye Not [37/107]
Previous Threads: Sæglópur - Until all our yesterdays are lighted fools... - the way to dusty death - a concrete cave - I'd Say That I've Had Worse Days, but Then I'd Be Lying - Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying - Until Then, You Are Free - Cast in the Name of God
Memories: Sometimes when we reach for the stars...
Weapon: Lobotomy pick.
[+] V5
Dead:
B045 - Juhan Levandi - An Estonian wanna-be journalist with a fear of the dark who wanted to bring them all down in Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien [18/152]
Weapon: Party Bag (contains a noisemaker, party hat, two single-serving bags of candy, and a Hotwheels car)
Pre-Game Threads: Wiping All Out - Quixotic
Previous V5 Threads: Despair - The Real Folk Blues - The two people in the distance were Paulo and Becca - Mischief Managed - Sleeper Cell - Tell No Tales - So, How Was Your Day? - And I'm Not Sleeping Now - Intermission - Glass - A Manic Depressive Named Laughing Boy
G067 - Carmina Maliksi - A Filipina car junkie with a /slight/ obsession with Korea and Japan who has finished things up (somewhat) in Red as Blood [139/152]
Weapon: Non-Functional Flamethrower (left in the Clubhouse)
Previous V5 Threads: Finding Center - Wish I Could Breathe - The Visionary
Memories: Offended?
B054 - Oscar Trig (adopted from Greg the Anti-Viking) - An artist who desperately needs a pencil, paper and a cigar and thought with his heart in Fumble [76/152]
Weapon: Binoculars
Pregame Threads: Taking it to the Streets
Previous V5 Threads: Waking Up at the Beginning of Time - Steadier Footing - Handoff
[+] misc
[+] meirl
new resting place for chatsig never forget 2018
give my v8 kids friends pls
LeslieFranc

Post by LeslieFranc »

Her reaction didn’t seem hostile, and she seemed pretty calm. There were still many possibilities on why he still shouldn’t trust that, or trust anything at all, but he had to take what he can get.

“No, I did not,” Cecil shook his head with a frown. “But I did just find the path a while ago, so it hasn’t been a long walk.”

He had hoped that the girl would know better, but if she asked him that question then there was a high chance that she probably hadn’t encountered anything worth noting about either. Nonetheless, he didn’t seem to be in a bad position yet. The girl had no weapons out, but anything could be on her bag. There was still a good distance between them, so he could leave as quickly as he can if he has to. There was also the option of…joining her…but…

He opened his mouth with not much of anything to say, but he was saved from ending up only gaping like an idiot by a new voice calling out to them.

Cecil whipped his head towards the direction of the tired-sounding voice and saw another girl, one he again didn’t have a name to. Unlike the first girl, she had her hands on some rather noticeable stuff despite the farther distance. A pair of heels on one, and something that resembled a gun on the other.

Immediately, he slightly raised the knife higher and moved his body to make sure he had both of them in his line of sight. The shape of the gun made him nervous, but he wouldn’t find any answers if he kept running away from everything.

He tried for a reassuring smile again despite the warily raised knife, holding up his map as he spoke to the newcomer.

“I assume you wouldn’t know exactly where we are either?” he asked as he curiously glanced at her bare feet then back at her again.
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

((She settled on the art exhibit.))

Katelynne had been walking down this path for what was probably half an hour, maybe 40 minutes tops. Being alone with her thoughts made it feel like hours, though.

But she had plenty of time to think with her nonstop march to the next destination, her map and compass clutched in hand with the yearbook underneath. She still hadn't run into anyone yet. She didn't know to take that as a good sign or not.

Now there were people up ahead, a couple stopped in the middle of the road and one girl just off over yonder. A few of 'em had something in their hands; looked like weapons from what Katelynne could tell. But they weren't fighting just yet, or at least she reckoned so. That was good.

Katelynne decided to engage. Not like she really had a choice when they were in the middle of the walkway.

"'Scuse me," she calmly announced to Quinn, Cecil, and Yuka as she moseyed on over, the stray twigs and leaves crunching under her feet. "Any of y'all been to the art exhibit yet? I'm tryna get there."
Namira

Post by Namira »

Cecil responded in the negative, which Quinn had expected. She wasn't certain how long she'd been out for, but it was morning. Presuming she hadn't been unconscious and/or asleep for over a day, that didn't leave an awful lot of time for exploration. Depending on how far they were from the fringes of these woods, it might not even be possible to have left in the time they had available. Much to Quinn's consternation, neither map nor compass was much use when she had no way of telling where she started.

There was a person though, that counted for something.

Correction, people. There were people.

Yuka, Quinn only really recognised because she was Yuki's sister and had seen them around now and then. She definitely termed the acquaintanceship as 'recognised' rather than 'knew', however; the only fact about her that she could remember was the 'Yuki's sister' part. Much, much more pressing was the fact that she was armed. Quinn didn't have a great view of whatever gun it was that Yuka was holding, only glimpses of a camouflage pattern, though she could have sworn there was a little flash of orange too. Probably it wouldn't be as easy to wield when Yuka was holding it one-handed so she could carry her shoes around, but Quinn only had to be unlucky once. She'd never understand shoes like that. What was the point of wearing something that hurt to walk around in? Going around barefoot was hardly going to be better on Yuka's feet either.

Quinn's opinions on Yuka's footwear notwithstanding, a gun made the danger of this encounter shoot up clean through the roof. The second Yuka caught her attention, Quinn took an immediate step to the side, partway off the trail. The gun wasn't currently pointing at her and she didn't want to dive for cover and provoke anything with the sudden movement, but just standing there was a similarly terrible idea. She didn't even respond to Yuka's greeting; Cecil took that up for her. Good, let him attract the attention. She didn't miss that he shifted with the knife, though that still wasn't a correct way of holding it. An odd way of holding it, actually; you weren't supposed to point knives like that.

This had to be complicated, didn't it? One person would have been ideal. This was not.

And then someone else. Three people, now that was just fantastic. This girl, Quinn sort of recognised but couldn't put a name to the face. She was the one who talked a lot in English classes so that people like Quinn didn't have to. Kate, was it? Something like Kate.

Quinn looked over at her. "No."

She did not comment on her opinion on looking for an art exhibit in the current situation. If a person wanted to be foolish, who was she to stop them?
Maraoone

Post by Maraoone »

"I- I just woke up, so-"

Yuka felt her eyes welling up again, a sob about to make its way out, so she stopped, dropping her heels as she raised her left hand to steady herself.

She could feel herself almost shaking with adrenaline. She wasn't supposed to be here, and she meant that in the sense that none of them were supposed to be on this island, and in the sense that she wasn't supposed to be here in this forest, standing still, while something, anything could be happening to either Yuko or Yuki. The main thing keeping her from bolting through the two- no, three people blocking her path was Cecil's knife. It was pointed vaguely at her now, and while they had plenty of distance between them now, rapidly closing that distance was a suicidal move.

The new arrival, Katelynne, was also one of Yuki's people, and little more than that to Yuka. She wished she had Yuki with her to give her any bit of information about the three. Did any of them easily anger? She looked at Quinn's scar and vaguely remembered something about a basketball fight a few years ago. Yuko might have talked about it with her. So, there was that. Did any of them have any known enemies? Were they good friends? All of these questions basically summed up to the following: did they make good allies, and should she make allies in the first place?

She couldn't find Yuki or Yuko if she couldn't make it to them at all, and to ensure that that would happen, maybe having some people around to protect her would help. But would they want to protect her at all? Could she protect them? Or would they just hurt each o-

Yuka clenched her left fist now, slowed her breathing. Not much she could do but get more information, find out more about them.

"Have you guys seen either of my sisters around?"

They probably didn't know. But what they answered wasn't entirely the point, it was also how.

"I'd- uh, I'd..." really appreciate it if you could help me find them, she meant to say, but the next wave of panic was coming and she had to steel herself for it, so she stood quiet and waited for the three of them to provide her no answers.
[+] the youfs
[+] V7
V7:
Dead:
B083 - Diego Larrosa - Palayain mo na ako. - He didn't want this. say goodnight to the bad guy [10/159]
Previous Threads: Love & Money - before the day is done, my prince is gonna come - How Far I'll Go - Gimme, Gimme Shelter or I'm Gonna Fade Away - no one round here's good at keeping their eyes closed - Still Waiting - Hell is Other People - RICH_BOY_LIKES_IT_ROUGH.MP4 - I Don't Wanna Be Myself - The Bell Tolls For Our Funeral - The Gang Goes Out For Breakfast - Untrust Us - Crimewaves - Love itself is just as innocent as roses in May - Will All Be Forgiven? - black eyes looking up from below - Silent Key - it's ok we're just scared - life's alright in devil town - Beyond Human (Barely Human) - And Now Those Days Are Over and We Are All Ghosts - The Ultimate Test of Cerebral Fitness - Ang Pagbibinata ni Diego Larrosa - perverse verdict - Madness in the Method - park the car, drop that phone, sleep on the floor, dream about me

G013 - Yuka Hayashibara (adopted from Ryuki!) - Does it spark joy? - She fixed up her look in one of a kind [46/159]
Previous Threads: Quintessential Thinking - I Pray to the Lord You Reveal what His Truth is - all of our heroes fading - now i can't stand to be alone - Incredible Adventures - there's a pale imitation burnt in my eyes - Red Of Tooth And Claw - The Fifth Announcement - Low Times - Party Like It's 1999 - Hell and You - We're All Excited, We Don't Know Why, Maybe It's 'Cause, We're Gonna Die - Ron Gets a Bath As Well, Whether He Wants To or Not - No Exit

G052 - Joanne Coleman (adopted from Cicada!) - I've got a thick skin and an elastic heart. - She tried to do something in Sleep Is The Cousin Of Death [116/159]
Previous Threads: hold on to this lullaby - Don't Stray Off The Path - D.R.E.A.M. - I'm Not That Nice, I'm Mean and I'm Evil - we keep these promises, write it in a letter
Pregame: You did not break me. I'm still fighting for peace. - Desperate Times - Heavy is the Head That Wears the Crown - Do You Have The Time - i'm so 3008
Memories: I'm alright. I'm just fine. And you're a tool, so. - Make A New Cult Every Day

G075 - Aditi Sharma (adopted from Brackie! and somer!) - She failed in Yellow Light [88/159]
Previous Threads: Pandorama - Antisocial Darwinism - My Lucifer Is Lonely - They Couldn't Buy A Fucking Toaster. They're Broke, John.
[+] V6
V6 Characters:
Previous Threads: Sæglópur - Until all our yesterdays are lighted fools... - the way to dusty death - a concrete cave - I'd Say That I've Had Worse Days, but Then I'd Be Lying - Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying - Until Then, You Are Free - Cast in the Name of God
[+] V5
Dead:
B045 - Juhan Levandi - An Estonian wanna-be journalist with a fear of the dark who wanted to bring them all down in Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien [18/152]
Weapon: Party Bag (contains a noisemaker, party hat, two single-serving bags of candy, and a Hotwheels car)
Previous V5 Threads: Despair - The Real Folk Blues - The two people in the distance were Paulo and Becca - Mischief Managed - Sleeper Cell - Tell No Tales - So, How Was Your Day? - And I'm Not Sleeping Now - Intermission - Glass - A Manic Depressive Named Laughing Boy
G067 - Carmina Maliksi - A Filipina car junkie with a /slight/ obsession with Korea and Japan who has finished things up (somewhat) in Red as Blood [139/152]
B054 - Oscar Trig (adopted from Greg the Anti-Viking) - An artist who desperately needs a pencil, paper and a cigar and thought with his heart in Fumble [76/152]
Previous V5 Threads: Waking Up at the Beginning of Time - Steadier Footing - Handoff
[+] misc
[+] meirl
LeslieFranc

Post by LeslieFranc »

Cecil figured as much that the girl with the heels and gun didn't know any better than them right now, and her obvious distress about the whole situation helped her seem less dangerous in Cecil's eyes. Although, he almost ended up downright pointing his weapon at her when she dropped her heels, the impact of the shoes on the ground startling him to a small flinch instead. Before he could remind himself to calm down and stop being so irrational however, another girl had decided to join their little group, and once again, Cecil made sure that he had his eyes on all of the people (potential threats) present.

The new girl was asking about the art exhibit, and the first girl replied with a simple no that Cecil thought should represent what the rest would probably answer to the question. Nonetheless, he looked at his map to see where this art exhibit was, quickly realizing that it was located in the woodlands. If she's trying to get there and she's here now then maybe—

The girl who was only holding a gun now called for their attention again by asking another question of her own about having seen this or that, and Cecil was ready to disappoint her with another simple no until he heard her say the word sisters.

She was looking for her sisters.

Her sisters were here.

This girl's family was also in this island, forced into killing or dying with her, and she had to find them. Of course she had to find them.

Cecil could only imagine what he would be like if his brother and sister were here, too. He immediately found out that he wouldn't even dare consider it.

He stared at her with a solemn look. "No, I did not," he said slowly. "I'm sorry."

Turning back to the newcomer, he took the chance to find out their specific location.

"I'm afraid I wouldn't be much of help to you either," he admitted diplomatically. "However, if you wouldn't mind..." he tried to smile again as he continued on with a hopeful tone. "If you're trying to get to somewhere already, then I'm guessing you have an idea of where you're going? Because we're not. Have you been anywhere besides this woods?"
decoy73

Post by decoy73 »

((Male Student #65 - Manuel Figueroa - GAME START))

Fuck fuck fuck.

Manuel did not like his situation. His presence in the death game was the first thing in his mind. Seeing Ms. Garcia's brains explode was another. The bomb collar was a third. Then there was his "weapon" - a bunch of shuriken. Five little throwing stars that would do fuck-all in a stand up fight. Meaning his best methods of getting ahead were to find people (okay, so not that tall of an order) and getting them to either help him go farther in the game or give up their weapon, the latter of which was laughable.

So it was time to find a better weapon and delay his death for a couple days.
Survivor: UCONN - Seriously, it's awesome!

Version 8
Kaede Tsurumi: "Eeep! I-I'm so sorry! I-I'll try not to get in your w-way next time!"
Morgan Whitney
Tyler Slomkowski
Victor Grail: "I didn't give you the lead so that you could lose it! I guess it's up to me to carry us after all."
[+] Version 7
Male Student #65: Manuel Figueroa; Status: ACTIVE 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Female Student #63: Christina "Renz" Rennes; Status: ACTIVE 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Female Student #70: Jessica Rennes; Status: ACTIVE (Adopted by Brackie)
Female Student #79: Stephanie McDonald; Status: ACTIVE 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

Quinn shot Katelynne down with a flat "no" which, well, fair 'nuff.

Yuka was on the verge of tears, and more importantly they seemed authentic. She looked like a kid who got separated from her folks at the mall or something, though in hindsight this was like the first time Katelynne ever saw her without one of her sisters hovering around. Poor thing.

Katelynne shook her head at the question if she'd seen Yuki or Yuko. "Sorry, y'all's the first people I've seen all day." She'd keep her eyes out, at the least. The Hibachi girls were good people.

Cecil hadn't been to the art exhibit yet either, so this was a bit of a bust. He seemed lost himself, though, and when he asked for their whereabouts it was the least Katelynne could do for not immediately getting stabbed on sight.

"Yeah, I can show ya," she calmly replied, moving up close enough to Cecil to show him her map without becoming Alabama cousins.

"I ain't sure where y'all been," she addressed Cecil but also the group, "but if ya head down that way for 'bout an hour, you'll hit the lake and the waterfall. Now I ain't 100% sure but I reckon we're 'bout... here?"
[+] She pointed her finger to their general whereabouts.
"I think this road feeds into that main road at that there intersection. Says there's some sort of art show on the way to the lookout, whatever that means. Though... then I guess that would mean the shoe tree is closer? Hmm..."

Huh. Maybe the shoe tree was actually the better first stop. She'd just have to see, she supposed.

She shook her head, realizing she was rambling to herself again. "...Anyway that's where I believe we are, but don't take my absolute word for it."
Namira

Post by Namira »

Sisters, a compounded tragedy. Death on death. Even in the beyond fortunate circumstances where the terrorists' game broke down and the survivors were saved, the chances of all three Hayashibaras being healthy and safe were very, very low. Quinn couldn't blame Yuka for being caught up with what was or could be happening to her siblings. However, it also wasn't really Quinn's problem; Yuka glanced her way and Quinn met her eyes, just looking straight back impassively. Yuka didn't strike her as someone who was about to raise the gun and go on a spree, but that was sort of the point. You weren't supposed to suspect anyone was capable of that kind of violence, and then there it was. Nobody should take a gun for granted.

Another half step, Quinn could reach out and touch a tree if she wanted to. All right. Anyone's odds of hitting a moving target past multiple trees were pretty low, and Yuka wouldn't be able to pursue quickly without shoes. Quinn didn't like her chances of dodging bullets though, and she wasn't arrogant enough to assume that she could out-react Yuka raising the weapon. It wasn't impossible, hell, it was even likely, but if it wasn't certain, then she wasn't safe.

She mostly ignored Cecil and stayed focused on Yuka. Any threat that Cecil posed would be much more obvious and entail him rushing over at her. He wasn't saying anything useful anyway. The direction of travel was pretty much secondary to the travelling itself, and this encounter was more or less dead in the water already. Way too many people, and Yuka posing ongoing danger besides.

Kate, meanwhile, was pointing at her map. Quinn took it in as best she could while only half paying attention. Was there any value to the art exhibit? Kate wanted to see some pictures before she died? What, did she figure it would let her leave a more cultured corpse?

Pointless.

"Yuka, put your gun away."

She slid closer to her tree.
Maraoone

Post by Maraoone »

They didn't disappoint, in a way. Of course none of them knew where Yuka's sisters were, and it had been too much to expect that to come so easily. The token expression of pity from Cecil was appreciated, but it rang hollow at the same time. She had been stupid to expect more than that. As for how they answered, Katelynne proved most promising. She knew where they were, where they could go. Looking at the map hadn't even occurred to Yuka, oddly enough. She had taken her first steps over towards Katelynne and the map when Quinn spoke.

She stopped for a few seconds, processing what Quinn had asked. Then, she slowly shook her head. She inhaled sharply, steadied herself again with her left hand.

"Look. I don't know you well. I don't trust you. Same for everyone else here."

She was defenseless as it was, yes, but for Quinn, and especially for Cecil, with his knife, to know that, to make sure of that, that was a terrifying idea. She had been about to make her next move when yet another figure showed in the distance. Yuka let a bit of a smile show. She nodded at Manuel, in the distance behind everyone else. He was one of the few people in this school who understood what it really meant to say things as they were. Someone from the drama club, from her dance classes. One of her people.

"Nice meeting you here, I guess," she said, trying to project her voice along the path towards him.

Yuka shifted her eyes back to Quinn. She took another deep breath, and shook her head briefly, trying to shake out the nerves. She had no idea what to do here. She had spent the past few years turning off the TV at the mere mention of SOTF, because how was she supposed to know it would become relevant to her? Why would she even want to consider it being relevant to her? It had been so easy to just ignore it, and now it was omnipresent.

If she put her gun down, Quinn could just pull another one out of her bag. Or Katelynne. Cecil could just charge at her with his knife. There was really only one way to ensure that no one else had an advantage over her without her risking her life. She locked eyes with Quinn, and swallowed, trying to rid herself of that choking feeling.

"I'll do it. But I want you to put your bags down." She took another deep breath, and looked at each and every person in the vicinity. "I want EVERYONE HERE to put their bags and weapons down on the ground. All of us. At the same time. Deal?"
[+] the youfs
[+] V7
V7:
Dead:

[+] V6
V6 Characters:
[+] V5
Dead:
[+] misc
[+] meirl
LeslieFranc

Post by LeslieFranc »

The girl looking for the art exhibit proved to be helpful enough. A part of Cecil did want to back away once she started walking closer to him, but with a knife in his hand and the fact that she wasn’t carrying any weapon, he managed to dial down the anxiety and let himself hover near her to have a good look on where she was pointing at in her map.

He noticed the single spot on her map that was marked with an X just as she pointed out the directions to the lake and waterfall. Could be where she woke up, he figured. Either way, she had a good enough starting point, so she’s probably going in the right way. Or close enough. Cecil thought she seemed to know what she was talking about, but she was also quick to warn him not to take her absolute word for it. He didn’t appreciate the unnecessary reminder of uncertainty, but nonetheless, he decided that he will just have to trust that she might be more capable than she claimed to be. It wasn’t like anybody else here offered any better information, so he might as well not hesitate on trusting her judgement, at least in this case.

So he said “Thank you,” with a polite smile and a small incline of his head, showing that he was fairly grateful for the help, as if he was just a tourist asking for directions back in DC and not a terrorist’s victim in an unknown island.

No no no no you have to go back go back home don’t die don’t die don’t die here—

He was about to look back into his map and make his own decision on which shall be his first destination when he suddenly heard the first girl he met tell the one with the gun to put it away.

So her name is Yuka. He then remembered that she was just asking about her sisters. Ah right, the triplets. He probably should’ve known from the start, but he supposed that it only meant that he had never talked to her or her sisters before, and therefore hadn’t paid them any attention. Had he? Or fuck, maybe I just need some coffee right now.

Glancing back at them only to see Yuka still with the gun having already taken her first few steps closer to them, he abruptly took a step back himself. He noticed that the girl with the black hoodie had also moved, but she was now further away from them, away from the path, right into a tree, and was staring at Yuka.

Yuka said something about everyone here not knowing nor trusting each other, which was true enough. Cecil took it that she wasn’t putting her gun away. He understood that, he just hoped that she wouldn’t shoot, or that he’d already be gone when she does.

Take one step back.

And then Cecil saw her smile and nod, her eyes not on them, but at something that was behind them. No, she greeted someone behind them. His heart was already beating fast, but he could clearly feel how loud and hard it was thumping from his chest after he turned around to see what would make the one with the best weapon here seem more assured than she was earlier.

He saw a figure in the distance, possibly taller than the ones he was currently with but shorter than him. It was a guy, another student he probably hadn’t paid much attention to. Really, everyone around him right now were vague faces and vaguer names.

She had someone she definitely knew or trusted now. Lucky her.

Take two steps back.

Yuka was now demanding for everyone here to drop their bags and weapons to the ground.

Cecil thought that the girl with the black hoodie had the right idea.

Get to the trees.

He quickly folded his map and pocketed it in his trench coat, letting it join the compass inside. He shifted his hold on the ballistic knife while his other hand grabbed onto a tree.

“I’d rather not.”

Just like Yuka said, they didn’t trust each other. Cecil didn’t trust them. His choices were he either had a knife, or none. The others didn’t matter. He knew that he wasn’t in the best position, not when he wasn’t the one with a gun, which was very frustrating, but he had a knife, one with a ballistic option, so he thought he was in a good position in general compared to the others with no weapons out, and there was no way he was going to give that up.
decoy73

Post by decoy73 »

So one of them was Yuka - so it was no longer completely hopeless, just virtually hopeless. Manuel nodded back at her when she called out to him, and then asked for everyone to drop their weapons and their bags. Which was bad either way - either he said no and she would likely shoot him, given how his weapon was essentially nothing, or he could drop his bag and leave himself defenseless for if she did decide to shoot him, or if any of the other three decided that they weren't going to.

And the guy in the trench coat decided not to cooperate. So now Manuel had to make a choice as he crept towards a tree.

"If he's not doing it, I'm not either."
Survivor: UCONN - Seriously, it's awesome!

Version 8
Kaede Tsurumi: "Eeep! I-I'm so sorry! I-I'll try not to get in your w-way next time!"
Morgan Whitney
Tyler Slomkowski
Victor Grail: "I didn't give you the lead so that you could lose it! I guess it's up to me to carry us after all."
[+] Version 7
Male Student #65: Manuel Figueroa; Status: ACTIVE 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Female Student #63: Christina "Renz" Rennes; Status: ACTIVE 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Female Student #70: Jessica Rennes; Status: ACTIVE (Adopted by Brackie)
Female Student #79: Stephanie McDonald; Status: ACTIVE 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Return to “The Woods”