Screamer, Screamer, He's a Dreamer

Open

Spanning two floors, the west wing of Cochise houses its mathematics and science classrooms, as well as the majority of its elective classes. Connected by a stairway at the end of the hall, the ground floor is where the science rooms and laboratory are located, their location chosen to facilitate easy escape in the event of an emergency. These rooms are some of the more comfortable classrooms in the building, thanks to Cochise’s emphasis on its science program. The math classrooms on the second floor would be some of the more quiet rooms in the building if it wasn't for the wood shop and cooking classroom located on the same floor. Since the electives aren't always in session, how distracting any given math class ends up can vary wildly; the morning classes tend to be far quieter and more focused, while the afternoon classes are inundated with the noise and smells from the neighboring rooms, resulting in an atmosphere that can be quite unpleasant for studying. The walls in this wing of the school are frequently unadorned, with a larger concentration of student lockers in this area than in the East Wing. The floor here is tile, so that any messes caused by the science or elective classes can more easily be cleaned.
Espi

Screamer, Screamer, He's a Dreamer

Post by Espi »

((Henry Spencer continued from A Trout Tussle))

It was a great day!

Sure, it was pouring outside and Henry's jacket was currently with his dad getting washed, leaving him in a plain white t-shirt that clashed with everything Henry held dear from a fashion point of view, but he was in a great mood. For one, his attitude towards attitude-holding gave him the advantage of keeping himself optimistic when things seemed bad, so he was sure he'd get a ride home from one of his friends should he ask, thus negating the primary negative of the day.

Plus, today was horror day in film class!

Henry, as you might have noticed, was a bit of an enthusiast when it came to horror. The thrill! The suspense! The brutal deaths! It was so...invigorating? Eh, debatable. Perhaps a word like 'enthusing' or 'exciting' would be more apt. Then again, 'energizing' worked too...Hmm. Henry needed to think on this. But not now, because now was movie time!

Bounding into class, Henry grinned at Mrs. Webber, who did not return the affection. He quickly rushed to his seat as the bell rang. Mrs. Webber started up a clip on the projector. For some reason, it wasn't especially scary; it was just a car driving along a winding-

Henry blinked as the screaming zombie appeared. He hadn't expected the jump scare, so it had caught him a bit off guard, but his fear response was so tamped down that he barely twitched. Still, his heart was beating a bit faster, so it was overall a remarkably successful fright. Four stars, would not watch clip again because he'd already seen it so it wouldn't have much effect but at that point the metaphor was somewhat forgotten so it was probably best to get to the point. Good show!

"Who can tell me what just happened?" Mrs. Webber asked as Henry's hand jumped into the air as soon as she started speaking. "Henry?"

Henry took a deep breath. "Jump scares are a technique used in games and films to trigger the startle response in the human brain, a defensive reflex evolved to avoid danger. Specifically in horror films, a jump scare is most often used to elicit a surprised or frightened reaction as a culmination of the tension built leading up to that point. Subverting that expectation, such as by having a tense door-opening scene open to nothing, can be a bigger payoff, such as if the door scene aforementioned then leads to a jump scare moments after, once the tension is initially relieved. Personally, I think jump scares function best in small doses at unexpected times, as abuse of them leads to a trite tale lacking in genuine terror and triggering only a base instinct rather than afflicting real, lasting fear."

Silence. Then, applause. Not really of course, mostly just an awkward silence after Henry finished talking (at an impressive velocity, no less), but he could dream!
RC†

Post by RC† »

((Alessio Rigano continued from Bad Days, Bad Moods, Bad Burgers))

Al went to class, sat down and the class began with him having a heart attack. Then he died.

Inside. A bit. A jumpscare wasn't new to him, but being jumpscared in class was. In response to Mrs. Webber, Henry did his typical Henry thing and was Henry.

Alessio liked Henry, he was nice. But he was also weird. Al knew that some people made fun of his weirdness, but that was not cool and very mean. The weirdness isn't something Alessio would dislike about Henry, but it confused him severely.

Something was different today, too.

Henry wore a white t-shirt. That was unusual. When you go to school with someone for years, you get used to their clothes. It was like the moment when he saw Mr. Dukoff at the supermarket without his office shirt. That was a shock. His worldview was shattered.

As Al was surprised by the well definition given by Henry, he leaned over to him.

"How did you know all of that?"
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler RC. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Emprexx Plush

Post by Emprexx Plush »

((Caedyn Miller Continued From My Friends Are Assholes))

Boooooriiiiiiing. Caedyn had seen this clip like a billion times, it was such a popular trick screamer. She knew it from the car alone, so many people snuck it into gif threads. Was anyone actually scared by it at this point? Anybody who didn't recognize it by now probably deserved it. Like, open a browser for once in your life, Ja?

But then there was little old Henry, the walking horror encyclopedia, preening like today was finally his time to shine. He seemed so proud of like, whatever he'd just rattled off about jumpscares and when you were supposed to use them, like anybody needed to know his opinion about the whole thing. Thirsty much? Besides, he was being so smug about it, like he was educating the whole class about something important instead of like, dumb trivia. Dumb trivia he was wrong about, by the way. Clearly she was the hero they needed to resolve this little issue~

"Actually," she interjected with a sweet smile, "that wasn't a jumpscare, it was a screamer. Jumpscares are mostly visual, that's why they're like, JUMP scares. But that was just a weirdo in bad make-up. The part that's all spooky in that clip is the scream, not the visual, so it's not the same thing. Screamers are like, older and meme-ier or whatever."

Never challenge a tumblerian when memes are on the line, she beamed to herself as she looked over at Henry.
[+] SotF Characters
[+] V5 Characters
ImageG056, Alda Abbate(Adopted)
It was difficult to nail down exactly when the anger started. Remembering a time when it wasn't there, coiled up and waiting to strike or alive and thrashing, was growing more and more challenging. It'd been with her for so long that it no longer felt like an intruder in her mind. It felt like a part of her.
ImageB062, Garrett Wilde
I multiplied. Then I subtracted. That's what we do now. That's how we keep the most people around.
ImageB014, Joachim Lovelace(Adopted)
Your turn.
[+] V6 Characters

ImageG037, Abby Floyd:This place was vile. Overwhelmingly, terribly vile. Character Theme: Everything's Alright-Emily Scholz
ImageB016, Ty Yazzie: You ever wonder if you still got a home to go back to? Character Theme: Warrior People-Medicine For The People
ImageIsaac Brea(Adopted from Espi): Isaac's well of fucks was bone-dry. Character Theme: The Whiskey, The Liar, The Thief-Patent Pending
ImageG011, Caedyn Miller:So...how did you wanna do this? Feeling an open casket? Or is that dumb? Nah, don't say it, that's dumb. We'll be soup by the time they send us home anyway. Character Theme: Sleep-My Chemical Romance
ImageG032, Irene Djezari(Adopted from CicadaDays): Death was not worse than Meme Hell. Character Theme: A Beautiful Lie-30 Seconds To Mars
[+] V7 Characters
ImageB066, Blaise d'Aramitz: I am not fucking dabbing on a corpse, Carl. Character Theme: The Nurse Who Loved Me-A Perfect Circle
ImageG032, Helena 'Hel" Fury: I hope my family’s waiting. The one I made out here. I hope you’ll be a part of it again. Character Theme: Fix Me-10 YearsImage
ImageB073, Jeremiah Anderson: "GO--GO--GO." Character theme: The Big Sleep-Murder By Death
ImageG066, Marco Hart: I'm not satisfied anymore. I don't think I'd want to be if I could. Character theme: Maurice's Monsters-Small Leaks Sink Ships
ImageG080, Nikki Nelson-Kelly: The fools. The morons. The aBsOlUtE cReTiNs. Character Theme: Movement-The Whip
ImageG062, Tonya Collins: The girl, the person, the thing, the shape on the screen, that wasn't her. Character Theme: Get Down-Isador
Espi

Post by Espi »

Henry beamed at Alessio, his desk neighbor, but then that one girl Caedyn piped up and corrected him! Darn, and she was right. Henry wasn't a fan, she was weird with her dreadlocks and weird stuff. Henry was weird, sometimes, but she was even weirder.

"Oh, sorry! That was technically a screamer, my bad. But jump scares are the usual movie thing, so yeah." Henry said. Hmm, that was kind of mean. He hoped Caedyn didn't take it as him dismissing him. That could end badly.

The teacher, seeming bored, nodded and started discussing film techniques used in horror, suspense and thriller films. Henry yawned, covering his mouth. Then he looked over at Alessio. "You watch horror much?" He whispered. Alessio was cool, he was friendly and Henry often talked to him during class.
RC†

Post by RC† »

Caedyn also contributed by correcting Henry. Alessio wasn't sure how to think about that. On one hand it's good for Caedyn, because she now has said something and gets a better grade. On the other hand that was kinda insulting for Henry's contribution, which was very impressive. Alessio hoped and kinda knew that Henry would not mind.

Henry ignored his question and asked him whether he watched horror movies.

Did he watch horror? No. Movies about the visuals, that were mostly blood, wasn't something for him. He preferred films about message. About plot. Also, the soundtrack of some horror movies? He wasn't into that.

Though, there's always that horror film scene where good old rock music is used to create a dissonance between the happiness of the song and the brutal scene where something bad happens. That's good use of music. But other than that it's mostly disturbing stuff or classical music pieces. Or the silence that's broken by bad acting.

"Nah."

Alessio wanted to reply to Henry, but he wasn't sure what to add. Besides, he did not want to get caught by the teacher talking to Henry. Though, it also could happen that Henry will continue talking about something to him and both of them get shouted at by the teacher, so why not talk.

"Do you?"
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler RC. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

((Noah Whitley continued from Prize Fighter))

Noah tried hard not to lose his shit when the screamer happened. He had seen the meme before and knew to wait for it to come up. Instead of watching the video, he instead turned his head and watched the faces of his classmates. Some reacted with total surprise, while others jumped up in their seats. Either way, it was a blast, and was way better than just watching the video itself.

Noah sat quietly as the class talked about jump scares and screamers. Henry seemed confident about it being a jump scare, while Caedyn chimed in with the knowledge of it being a screamer. Noah covered his mouth in order to not let out any lingering chuckles. He had been sitting near Caedyn and found it a bit amusing the way she responded to Henry, especially since she tried to use "meme-ier" unironically.

The teacher was talking on about horror tropes while Noah sighed.

"Man, if you want a real screamer, you should see the men I bring home," he muttered to himself.

Noah was sure someone around him could hear that. As long as the teacher didn't, he was fine making jokes like that and hoping that someone near him would find that amusing.
Emprexx Plush

Post by Emprexx Plush »

And just like that, everybody was back to not caring, just like they should. Henry was hanging on to some detail or technicality or whatever but she wasn't paying any attention. The final headline was still that she was right and he was wrong, so like, what else mattered?

Noah seemed to be having fun beside her. She knew that kind of hand way too well, though what he was losing it over was up in the air. Rudeboy fancied himself a comedian, after all. Maybe she should see one of his shows sometime? She heard he did stuff in Vegas at smaller clubs and stuff occasionally, and she loved an excuse to get back up to the city. Compared to Kingman, it was a paradise. There was hardly anything here. No wonder she spent so much time online, right.

She had to catch her own giggles when she heard Noah's comment. This class might not be so boring after all! "Oh my god," she whispered in his direction, "we have just got to swap stories sometime."
[+] SotF Characters
[+] V5 Characters
It was difficult to nail down exactly when the anger started. Remembering a time when it wasn't there, coiled up and waiting to strike or alive and thrashing, was growing more and more challenging. It'd been with her for so long that it no longer felt like an intruder in her mind. It felt like a part of her.
ImageB062, Garrett Wilde
I multiplied. Then I subtracted. That's what we do now. That's how we keep the most people around.
Your turn.
[+] V6 Characters

ImageG037, Abby Floyd:This place was vile. Overwhelmingly, terribly vile. Character Theme: Everything's Alright-Emily Scholz
ImageB016, Ty Yazzie: You ever wonder if you still got a home to go back to? Character Theme: Warrior People-Medicine For The People
ImageIsaac Brea(Adopted from Espi): Isaac's well of fucks was bone-dry. Character Theme: The Whiskey, The Liar, The Thief-Patent Pending
ImageG011, Caedyn Miller:So...how did you wanna do this? Feeling an open casket? Or is that dumb? Nah, don't say it, that's dumb. We'll be soup by the time they send us home anyway. Character Theme: Sleep-My Chemical Romance
ImageG032, Irene Djezari(Adopted from CicadaDays): Death was not worse than Meme Hell. Character Theme: A Beautiful Lie-30 Seconds To Mars
[+] V7 Characters
ImageB066, Blaise d'Aramitz: I am not fucking dabbing on a corpse, Carl. Character Theme: The Nurse Who Loved Me-A Perfect Circle
ImageG032, Helena 'Hel" Fury: I hope my family’s waiting. The one I made out here. I hope you’ll be a part of it again. Character Theme: Fix Me-10 YearsImage
ImageB073, Jeremiah Anderson: "GO--GO--GO." Character theme: The Big Sleep-Murder By Death
ImageG066, Marco Hart: I'm not satisfied anymore. I don't think I'd want to be if I could. Character theme: Maurice's Monsters-Small Leaks Sink Ships
ImageG080, Nikki Nelson-Kelly: The fools. The morons. The aBsOlUtE cReTiNs. Character Theme: Movement-The Whip
ImageG062, Tonya Collins: The girl, the person, the thing, the shape on the screen, that wasn't her. Character Theme: Get Down-Isador
ItzToxie

Post by ItzToxie »

(( Michael Crowe Continued from Gunfight U))

Jesus Christ I am sore as a motherfucker! Michael quietly and slowly walked into class, still sore from last night's paintball fight. His lower back hurt like hell, his legs hurt, his dick hurt. Everything hurts... He lowered himself into his seat, his leather jacket creaking against the chair. He noticed something about a car driving through the woods or something, he wasn't paying attention, right now, he was focused on if that creaking noise was his jacket or his bruised as fuck skin. The car driving through the woods seemed familiar though, wonder where he saw it from? Today was horror day though, so we're probably watching the intro of some dumb teens on a joyride bef-SHIT ON MY DICK! Holy shit wow, why didn't he see that coming?! That was the German coffee commercial right? How did he forget about it? Fuck dude. That made him kinda sorta jump. He didn't need that, he already hurt enough without twitching and collapsing his spine.  All he did to react was lower in his seat and make a small groan in pain.

Oh well, today was horror day, so fuck it, hype time.  Mrs. Webber asked what happened, and Michael was gonna say something about it being a cheap tool to get a reaction, but Henry beat him to it. A long, long, long, really long, oh my god is Henry wearing a white T-shirt, what the fuck? long, long, oh my fucking god dude, it's a fucking two second scare, you don't need to- oh he stopped. Damn Henry, did you rehearse for this? Dude seemed so proud of himself for this.

Not long after Henry's answer, Caedyn pulled the rug out from under him and stole his five second spotlight. That was pretty rude, and that's coming from Michael. Caedyn proverbially just walked up to a puppy getting attention( that's Henry) and kicked it across the room so people would look at her. And that's terrible.  Aaand she was so SMUG about it too! Eugh. Michael hated smug. Hated it more than anything. He wanted to make a 'cough "Your hair's a screamer" cough' joke, but Noah stole the screamer joke from him before he had a chance to. Damn, everyone's stealing all the words today. Of course they're saying different shit, but fuck, Michael wanted a chance to speak.

In all honesty though, he had hoped that we wouldn't just have a conversation about screamers, or jump scares or cheap scares, whatever you'd like to call them for the entirety of the class. I mean it's HORROR! Horror's more than just 'Boo! I spooked you!' right? Welp, here's your chance. Michael raised his hand. "So uhhh, when're we gonna get to 'a bit of 'da ol' ultra-violence', eh?" He did his best Alex from clockwork orange impersonation on the ultra-violence line, Fake British accent and all.  "I uhh, heh, I wanna see some chainsaw action, y'know?" He chuckled as he imitated cranking a chainsaw with his arms.

What? It was a legitimate question! Especially on horror day.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

((Doctor! The patient has been dead for over a month! Give me the defibrillator. Clear! Okay, we got a heartbeat!))

Oh my god, we have just got to swap stories sometime.

Noah quietly laughed when he heard Caedyn's response. He was glad that the person nearest to him reacted to that with amusement rather than disgust (although both would apply to Noah's imaginary sex life). He leaned slightly over to Caedyn.

"You don't want to hear about that," he whispered. "It's mostly tales of nights filled with tears, cheap vodka, and, occasionally, that last more than six minutes."

He leaned back to try and focus on the lecture. Michael Crowe asked about when they'd get to "the old ultraviolence" or the chainsaw action. Noah cracked a smile at his chainsaw mime.

"I dunno," Noah replied. "I'm more interested in the horror movies that really crush you. Not so much violent but psychologically disturbing. The ones where you have to step away and sit in silence after you watch them. You know, films like Rosemary's Baby, or The Haunting."

Noah paused.

"Or Troll 2."
Espi

Post by Espi »

((SHAMEFUL DISPLAY))

As the lecture continued, Henry heard an awful lot of talking going on in the background. He wasn't especially interested in this part of class; the descriptions were the best part of the class when he didn't know the genre, but this time he did, so he didn't really pay much attention to that part? That was probably kinda bad, but Henry didn't think the teacher was super-invested, so whatever.

Michael piped up with something about chainsaws. Henry didn't mind slashers! He liked the gore and the scary atmosphere they often had, but he usually preferred the psychological horror. The ones where you have to step away and sit in silence after you watch them, as Noah put it. Noah was cool, he was funny and Henry liked him.

"Oh, I love Rosemary's Baby!" Henry said, glancing over at the other guy. "Which Haunting, though? 1963 or 1999?"
RC†

Post by RC† »

Oh, Henry seemed to have not heard him. Alessio probably was not audible enough. That was fine. That way the teacher couldn't hear him speaking either.

So many other people suddenly engaged to this conversation as well. Making jokes Al did not smile or laugh at. Just listening to them.

Alessio had nothing else to add. Maybe he should just listen to the others.
Emprexx Plush

Post by Emprexx Plush »

Oh my god, she was surrounded by neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerds. There was a difference between being smart, which was sorta okay, and being obsessive, which greasy kid and Henry and Al clearly were. And like, somethings were worth obsessing over, because they were great and important and useful, but all this trivia about dates and themes and uuuuuuugh, it was so boring. It's not like they were gonna be tested on it or anything, so why even care? Maybe they thought it made them cool or interesting or something, which just showed how sad and misinformed they were about how the world worked.

Well, Greasy and Henry thought that way, at least. Al was barely even a supporting character in this little drama, she'd cut him from the show entirely if she was casting it. Somebody needed to spice that boy's life up, he was always so quiet and weird. Sure, maybe he'd be awful and boring once he opened up, but he was definitely awful and boring now, so why not roll the dice on an improvement?

She tucked that nugget away in the back of her head for now and tried to tune out all the geek going on around her. It was time to plot until something entertaining happened again.
[+] SotF Characters
[+] V5 Characters
ImageB062, Garrett Wilde
Your turn.
[+] V6 Characters

[+] V7 Characters
ItzToxie

Post by ItzToxie »

"Psychological horror, yeah, pretty good. Shi-uhhh" Damn, almost cursed, gotta hold your tongue Michael. Don't wanna hafta' leave class early. "T-things like uhhh, Jacobs Ladder or Donnie Darko, yeah?"

To Michael, psychological horror was a pretty good genre, though it wasn't perfect as it was praised to be. For every Eraserhead, there was like some six pretentious flicks with no coherent plot for the sake of having no coherent plot, with the occasional ear rape distorted image thrown in. One of the reasons Mike preferred slashers was because you didn't need too much plot to keep people invested. Just some good ol' special effects and creativity.  Michael had to stifle a giggle at the Troll 2 line. That's some good taste right there! No sarcasm. Oh my gaaaaahhhhd...

"Yeah, I get that, I prefer some of the more eh, realistic films I guess. Not shi- uh stuff like the Nightmare on Elm Street series, or the later Friday 13th movies, but the ones with actual tension. First Halloween, the old 'Tee Cee Emms', Hostel's probably the tensest one I seen though. Not the sequels, those are garbage."

There's nothing wrong with a little campiness in a slasher flick, but it's got to be pre-established first. You can't make a Troma quality film with the expectation it's going to be Hellraiser. Still, intentional campy horror films are great. Not gonna lie there.

"On the subject of eheh, Troll heheh two, a 'so good it's bad' movie's always got more entertainment value than a plain bad film. Sleepaway Camp Two's the perfect example of awesome crappy films. There's also Street Trash."

Well Michael, you got your wish, two sentences in and you started a pretty nice conversation. Fuck yes! Charisma motherfuckers!
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

"63," Noah told Henry. "As great as it was to see Owen Wilson literally lose his head, it's too difficult to watch Mrs. Michael Douglas pretend to be queer."

Noah chuckled to himself. He had seen the remake of The Haunting on TV once before, and it was too funny to be scary. It at least motivated him to rent the original, and that made for a more enjoyable evening.

Michael went on about other psychological horror flicks and how he preferred films with actual tension. Noah could nod along with those points. Tension was the same as comedic payoff, and Noah knew how important they were to build up and then unleash the result upon the audience.

Michael then went onto "so bad, it's good" films. Noah chuckled.

"Indeed," Noah said. "they are often more fun. Like, you could forget that Rocky Horror has some really dark elements because everyone looks ridiculous and is behaving strangely, and all in song."
Espi

Post by Espi »

((I am terrible and sorry and will get out of your hair now))

"Oh, good! Yeah, the newer one wasn't as good." Henry smiled. Noah was cool, he was funny and, apparently, liked good movies!

As the presentation started up, describing the history of horror, examples of icons of the genre and classic tools used, Henry found himself distracted by a strange and unpleasant sensation in his face.

Then, Henry's nose began to drip blood. This happened sometimes, especially because of dry weather and his slight allergy to some sort of airborne particle that occasionally popped up. Inconvenient, but not a big deal.

Also it didn't mean he was aroused. That'd be awkward.

The teacher noticed Henry's nose dripping blood almost as soon as he did, and she sent him, reluctant though he was, off to the nurse. Henry sighed and stood up melancholically from his chair. Stupid random minor medical syndromes, making him miss class.

Darn.

((Henry Spencer concluded in The Sun Sets))

Return to “West Wing”