Tank!

(Private)

The overall Cochise campus is well-maintained and inviting to both students and visitors. In the front of the school is a wide, grassy lawn with benches called "The Green Belt," where some kids eat lunch on sunny days and where underclassmen usually wait to be picked up after school by their parents. There are a few picnic tables scattered about, mostly made out of imitation wood. Around the school is ample parking for students who drive, with a special lot reserved for seniors and roadside parking for everyone else. The design is fairly streamlined so as to prevent the traffic from getting too bad, even in the mornings when everyone is being dropped off. Inside the school, the hallways connecting classrooms are lined with lockers and desks where students like to loiter before and after class.
ViolentMedic

Tank!

Post by ViolentMedic »

((Danny Brooks continued from Ice Cream Truck Beat.))

"Ughhh, Jacob, where are you? Answer my texts, you jerk!"

Danny glared at his phone like it had personally slapped him. It was after school. He was meant to meet Jacob near the Green Belt before they went off to do things—bro things, which were usually pretty awesome things unless Jacob was being weird, and admittedly he was weird a lot because, y'know, that was just Jacob—but Jacob hadn't turned up yet and he wasn't answering his phone. Had Danny muddled up the days? He'd done that before.

He let out a huff and put his phone back into his pocket, retrieving his mp3 player instead. He could wait a little longer. He stuck his earbuds in and started cycling through music. No, no, no, god, why was finding the right tune always such a pain? Theoretically, every song on here was picked by him and thus awesome, but—

He finally stopped cycling when he came across a jazzy tune that blasted out for a moment before mellowing into a fast but comparatively quiet strummy kind of thing, building up to the full-on music.

"I think it's time to blow this scene. Get everybody and their stuff together."

"Nice," Danny muttered, putting his mp3 player back into his pocket and adjusting his earbuds. Nothing was quite as much of a buzzkill as accidentally yanking them out halfway through an awesome song.

"Okay. Three, two, one, let's jam."

All the more trumpety/saxaphoney/whatever stuff kicked back in and Danny launched into a dance. There wasn't enough room to do anything too drastic, not without yanking his earbuds out, but he had moves. He had so many moves.

Nothing was as awesome as dancing. Nothing. If Danny could just dance forever to some never-ending but super catchy song he'd probably... eventually die of exhaustion, okay, but it would be the best death ever.

He was so into it that he didn't notice someone sneaking up on him.
Riki

Post by Riki »

There he was.

There he was dancing. There he was, not giving a single care about what was happening around him. Oh wow, she couldn't believe it. She couldn't stop smiling. That the chance she waited for. Danny was skittish around her, kinda evasive even. Probably was scared a little bit. Hey, she could understand that! But Danny's behavior, it kinda made her want to attack him.

In the 'play a prank on him' sense, of course. Not the 'pick up a bat and bash his head in' sense. Though, thinking about that, there were probably girls who would do that.

Either way, there he was. Inattentive, kinda dorky, vulnerable.

Perfect prey.

She sneaked cautiously towards her objective, careful not to land in his peripheral vision. With success. She smirked, and sprinted the last few steps.

He didn't notice her coming up from behind. Not until her left hand plugged his bud out, and the other hand gave his cheek a quick pat. Yes, that cheek. Not the other one.

Her initial plan was to yell at him, but since her lips were so close to his ear...

"Hello Danny, my darling."

[[Fiyori Senay, continued from Complex Heaven]]
Gervais Frans Lambotte 🎵 Blue Jeans and Bloody Tears 🎵 Martini-Henry Rifle MkIV Pattern
||Selection|Clicks|Lonely|
[+] Version 6
[+] Version 5
O B014 Joachim Lovelace - Ballistic Knife, MP 18, Obsidian Knife - "It doesn't matter. They lost, he lost, I'll lose. That's the nature of the game."
O G042 Aileen Aurora Abdallah - Pair of MMA Gloves, Golf Club & Table Leg -
B059 David Zimmer - Sabre -
[+] One Day
Hycanthe Eickenhorst
Piet Lick
Cedric Matsumoto [INSPO]
ViolentMedic

Post by ViolentMedic »

Danny would like to claim that he handled the sudden appearance of his ex-girlfriend—uncomfortable closeness, whispering and possible butt-pat included—in a mature, calm and rational manner. Unfortunately, he did not.

"JESUS CHRIST!"

He took off immediately. Fiyori still had a grip on his earbud, so his mp3 player got yanked out of his pocket as well. He paid that no mind, instead sprinting off towards the green belt and, beyond it,  freedom.

He didn't have long to consider his actions. After all, Danny was a fast runner. He wasn't wide receiver on the school team for nothing. This gave him very little time to make decisions like 'should I try and parkour over that waist-high wall in between me and freedom?'

He decided he should try. Thing is, Danny could not parkour.

His attempt to vault over the waist-high fence resulted in him crashing and rolling once before coming to a halt. It was very painful. His mind caught up with his actions, and realised he wasn't going anywhere until he figured out if he'd just broken his ankle.

Play it cool.

"...Sup," he said, arranging himself in a slightly less crumpled position and trying to look like he'd meant to do all that.
Riki

Post by Riki »

Fiyori flinched. Then she surpressed a chuckle, and then she actually was impressed.

Danny was smooth, she had to say. Maybe not in his presentation of ex-evasion strategies - the famous le parkour pathetique (Fiyori loved that one, used it herself). But he didn't bail after getting up. No, he confronted her. Or well, he tried to keep the rest of his dignitiy. Yeah, that was a better choice of words.

They had to see whether he'd be successful with that. 'Not', if Fiyori had her way.

Fiyori stared vacantly at Danny, putting in one of his ear buds. Not very hygienic, she knew. But she liked the music. Didn't recognize it, but it was good stuff.

"Boy, you're music sucks."

She kept the ear bud in, and stepped slowly towards Danny. Oh, there it was. A brilliant idea for a joke. Fiyori smirked at him, and struck a sassy pose.

"Too bad I did not, hm?"

Too far too soon? Maybe. Maybe not.
Gervais Frans Lambotte 🎵 Blue Jeans and Bloody Tears 🎵 Martini-Henry Rifle MkIV Pattern
[+] Version 6
[+] Version 5
O B014 Joachim Lovelace - Ballistic Knife, MP 18, Obsidian Knife - "It doesn't matter. They lost, he lost, I'll lose. That's the nature of the game."
[+] One Day
Hycanthe Eickenhorst
Piet Lick
Cedric Matsumoto [INSPO]
ViolentMedic

Post by ViolentMedic »

Danny made a face at her comment about his music—excuse you, my tastes are awesome—then immediately covered it with his hands when she launched into that joke.

Why, Fiyori. Why. He could take other jokes at his expense, but why'd she have to go right there?

Still, he tried to pass it off like it didn't bug him. "Yeah, I'm real torn up about it. Sometimes I cry about it late at night." He uncovered his face, although his cheeks had gone pink, and stuck out his tongue. "I'll live."

Truth be told, Danny still liked Fiyori a lot. Not like-like, not anymore, but he thought she was fun. She was funny. And the relationship had been somewhere between warm enough to stay all nice and cuddly and stuff, but without getting over-bearing and dramatic and clingy and all that.

He probably would have stuck with it longer than it did if Fiyori hadn't tried to push things a little further. He'd thought he'd be okay with it—why was he never okay with it—but then it just felt so wrong, and he panicked, made an excuse to leave and dumped her over text message. He'd then proceeded to avoid her for fear of retaliation.

That had been a while ago.

Now, with his leg still rebelling against the idea of getting up—although he didn't think it was broken—he was torn between trying to crawl away before she got any closer or hoping that if he pretended nothing had ever happened that she would too. Sometimes girls didn't hold grudges. He'd reconnected friendships a couple of times, usually when they ambushed him to tell him that it was a douchey thing to do but fuck it. But... sometimes they did hold grudges. Most of the time, really.

He shifted back a little, now looking in any direction but Fiyori's.
Riki

Post by Riki »

Swing and hit and crit.

It was all kinds of adorable. The way he covered his face... his attempt at playing it cool. Very cute. Not gonna work though. She grinned, licked her lips and advanced a few steps more.

Of course, he was just jesting. He had no interest in the carnal pleasures. Not with Fiyori, and as she quickly understood, neither with anyone else. Why? Well, Fiyori herself subscribed to the theory that he was hella gay.

The problem was the way he ended their relationship. They were getting frisky, and what did Danny do? Bail. Said he was gonna use the bathroom, but took the window out. If he instead told her that he'd rather suck dick... well, so it would be. She could live with that. She could help him. But no, he had to play with her feelings. Make her feel safe. Make her feel needed. And then she dropped her like a sad sack of potatoes.

She wasn't angry at first. She thought she could understand. He was not the first guy, and he would not be the last. Sometimes she did the awkward dumping, and sometimes the guy did so. But with Danny, she felt comfortable. She found pleasure in that thing people call 'a romantic relationship'.

But now she towered above Danny, offering him a hand.

And suddenly, she felt...

"I can give you a chance of redemption, you know. A proposal of sorts."

Fiyori bared her teeth. It was supposed to be a smile. It did not work.
[+] Version 6
[+] Version 5
[+] One Day
Hycanthe Eickenhorst
Piet Lick
Cedric Matsumoto [INSPO]
ViolentMedic

Post by ViolentMedic »

What does that mean? Chance of redemption? Proposal? Was she proposing to him? ...No, that's too far. Or was it? Oh god, who even knew? Sometimes girls were weird like that!

Why did that grin look like she was going to eat him? Combined with Fiyori's natural hunchiness, it made her look like a hyena.

"Fgahhgh," he said, before warily eying the hand offered to him. He felt like it was going to suddenly turn into some clawed monstrosity and rip his face off. He didn't want that. He had a good face.

But redemption meant 'I am not quite about to rip off your face.' Maybe that meant there was a chance to smooth all this over.

"What... kind of propo... thing?" He looked her in the face and tried to pretend like he wasn't about to shit himself from fear.
Riki

Post by Riki »

Not taking her hand? Well... Danny seemed as if he was a little spooked. Good. Fiyori didn't train her creepy factor all for nothing.

She let his eyes muster her face for a while longer, before slowly bringing herself down to his position. She rested in a squat position. Not really comfortable or easy, because fitness is for losers who want to live long lifes. She stared at him a second or two, and lunged forward.

It brought her out of balance, and she needed her left hand to stability.

The other one? Firmly planted on Danny's face.

"You can go with me to the Sandy Hawkins Dance."
[+] Version 6
[+] Version 5
[+] One Day
Hycanthe Eickenhorst
Piet Lick
Cedric Matsumoto [INSPO]
ViolentMedic

Post by ViolentMedic »

Danny's thought process briefly short-circuited. He'd blame that on the face patting. He spent a long moment staring at Fiyori, one eye kind of squinted and trying to discreetly lean away from her hand without making it obvious he was trying to do so.

.........Alright. Thought process was back online.

Well, at least that wasn't 'I require most of your limbs as payment.' But no, he couldn't do that, could he? Okay, yeah, he enjoyed Fiyori's company when she wasn't focusing the scariness on him—and it'd be really nice if she could stop touching his face now because that was making things extra confusing—and it wasn't like hanging out with her there would be a bad thing. He'd do it for sure if it was in a friendship way. He really didn't think she meant in a friendship way. Or maybe she did. Fiyori was Fiyori. Maybe this was just to mess with him. She liked doing that. But maybe she didn't. Maybe he'd finally gotten a stalker. He'd always kind of wondered if that would happen.

Stall. Stall for time.

He shuffled slightly back, again further out of reach of her hand. "You... don't have anyone else to go with? I mean, yes, I'm stunning, but—"
Riki

Post by Riki »

Did she break him?

Hello? Was there any response? Fiyori could feel him shuffling away. Just so slightly. Just a very little bit. Might've just as well been the wind doing stuff. You know, because she broke him. And didn't respond anymore.

Oh no, good. Fiyori did not. There was a sign of life. Trying to stall for time, huh? As if that would work.

She flicker his forehead.

"Maybe. I got a lot of suitors, you know. But the point of that dance is that I am the one asking. And out of all these people around me, I want you."

Couldn't help but feel proud. Excellent acting, she came across as genuine as she could be. Of course, she did not plan to attent that dumb dance. The whole ordeal with the formalities, it was boring as fuck. Besides, she knew herself. She knew her peers. She liked some, but most irked her. At least, in the context of having fun at a party. And if she didn't have the chance to drown them out with booze... well, then there wasn't much point in attending at all.

"Oh, don't think this was a request, after all, I..."

She thought about it. Planned this moment - this line - for quite a while. But no, this wasn't appropiate.

She bared her teeth again. How friendly.
[+] Version 6
[+] Version 5
[+] One Day
Hycanthe Eickenhorst
Piet Lick
Cedric Matsumoto [INSPO]
ViolentMedic

Post by ViolentMedic »

Danny wrinkled his nose when she flicked his forehead, and squinted slightly when she said she had a lot of suitors.

Okay, he could have believed her if she'd said a couple. But if she had 'lots' she had to have a better choice than 'the guy who climbed out of her bathroom window once.' Unless she was crazy. She could be crazy. If he was going to accuse any of his exes of that, Fiyori would probably be top three. And the 'not a request' line leaned in that direction.

The obvious answer here, and hopefully the one that wouldn't result in her playing the hyenas in a live reenactment of Scar's death from the Lion King on him, was to make an excuse. A good excuse. Not 'I have to use the bathroom' this time.

"I..." Danny said slowly. "I have... a prior thing. Engagement? Yes. A prior engagement that I can't possibly back out of."

...Nailed it. Or he would have nailed it once he figured out if that meant 'I already have a date' or 'I'm not going because of reasons.' Both presented issues.

"So, um... I mean, yeah, I owe you, I totally owe you, but... my hands are tied." Danny climbed to his feet, testing his bruised ankle gingerly, seeing if it would be in a decent condition to run if he had to.

That was looking like a likely option here.
Riki

Post by Riki »

"An engagement?"

Sounded like an excuse. Couldn't be a date, because no girl in Cochise would dare to touch Danny nowadays. Well, no one except the crazy ones. The desperate ones. Or, well, Fiyori. But that was different.

Danny stood up, which was a shame. She hoped he'd fall on his back. Would've been hilarious to pin him down. Fiyori did the same. To prevent another of his stunts, she put one foot in between his legs.

Well, it was actually kinda difficult. Difficult to find the right words. The whole 'stalker' act seemed pretty funny in her head, but now that she was actually doing it... ah, way too hard. Maybe she should've thought of more lines beforehand. But maybe she would get the improv just right.

"Hah, nonsense. There could be nothing more important than me."

She winked at him.

"Don't worry, I'll deal with your engagement myself."

Nice. She could do it.
[+] Version 6
[+] Version 5
[+] One Day
Hycanthe Eickenhorst
Piet Lick
Cedric Matsumoto [INSPO]
ViolentMedic

Post by ViolentMedic »

That was not a good place for a leg to be.

Please don't kick my crotch, please don't kick my crotch, please don't kick my crotch.

Fear of crotch-kicking aside, he was now almost certain the crazy stalker thing was just an act. Fiyori wasn't that mad. And she'd always been up for pranks. So at that last line, he just let out a little 'pfft.'

"Nah, you're not. I assume 'deal with' means murder in this case? If you were gonna do that you wouldn't tell me. You'd just do it. And then leave the head in my bed, Godfather-style, or something." Also said girlfriend would have to exist. "But seriously, Fi. You're not that bananas."

He paused for a moment, then let out a little sigh.

"And if I'm about to be proven wrong, you have permission to put those last words on my tombstone. ...Please don't kick me." He shifted uncomfortably, looking downwards at Fiyori's strategically placed foot.
Riki

Post by Riki »

...she could not act.

No, it wasn't that. Danny knew her. Danny understood her. Most people did not. They knew Fiyori, of course. But they bought everything she said at face value.

And here, Danny was seeing through her farce. Yeah, he really got her. She liked that. Few people appreciated Fiyori's nature. Few enough, to make everyone of them a treasure. Seeing Danny disarm her, it kinda confirmed her feelings. Her feelings of disappointment. Her feelings of sadness. That feeling of loss she suffered as Danny cut himself off from her life.

She jerked her leg up. Just a bit. Only to make him flinch.

"You're right, I am not crazy. But I am mad. So goddamn mad."

Fiyori could feel it. Her face, her body, her mind. It tensed up. It was uncomfortable. It has been so long... too long since she felt that way.
[+] Version 6
[+] Version 5
[+] One Day
Hycanthe Eickenhorst
Piet Lick
Cedric Matsumoto [INSPO]
ViolentMedic

Post by ViolentMedic »

He did flinch when she raised her leg, instinctively moving his legs closer together. But she didn't kick him. But how she tensed and what she said... that was way worse.

Shit.

Shit, shit, shit.

This is exactly the conversation that Danny always tried to avoid. He always sent texts and just crouched while walking past classrooms because that was always so much easier. This, however, was a giant, red neon 'you are an asshole and that doesn't change because you tried to ignore it' sign.

He considered running. Heavily considered running. He even moved one foot back, like he was about to turn tail and sprint off, like he'd attempted to do at the beginning of this conversation. But after a moment of consideration he shifted his foot back again, crossing his arms and covering his face for a moment with one hand.

He was here. And they were having this talk. Running could be done. But... running when she was giving him that look? Even he wasn't that bad.

"I... I know."

Danny couldn't look at her face. So he just stared at the ground.

"Look, Fi... I... fuck, uh..."

He shifted weight onto one leg, then back again, bouncing a little as he mulled over his words.

"I... I was a jerk. I... I do know I was a jerk. I just... I panicked, and I made excuses and I ran. And I didn't explain why because I still don't know why! But... I was an asshole, and I... I treated you like shit, and I'm sorry. And you... you so deserve to be mad."

He fidgeted with his fingers for a moment.

"...And you can kick me in the crotch if you really want to."

Return to “Grounds”