No Longer at Ease

A solitary cottage that sets off by itself, away from the main settlement. It's a simple place of only four rooms, and it was probably the island home of one of the higher-ups on the military base at one time. Outside sits a small well that it's hard to see the bottom of, even in the middle of the day. Overall, the place has a peaceful atmosphere... one that begs to be destroyed.
riserugu†

No Longer at Ease

Post by riserugu† »

[[ Continued from In Your Honour ]]

(Gah. I swear, my computer did not want me to write this. Also, besides Raven who technically isn't even in the cottage herself but in the door all the other bodies are outside. At least to my knowledge and my quick skim-through the other topics. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.)

Damn, damn, damn, damn...

Izzy wasn't sure just how much she needed to curse before the pain let up but she'd be willing to do it until she killed over. Of course the pain admitting not only from the once again bleeding wound on her hips but all the running had cause a flare of pain to flare up along the gash on her leg, though at this point in time she should probably just be happy to not have had her neck blown out. Pissed beyond belief that they had actually made where they had been into a danger zone without making an announcement and forcing all of them to scatter in differing directions it seemed just to try and make sure they made it out in one piece. This brought on her second biggest problem in the chaos that followed in them trying to escape from the graveyard the only person that remained of their group with her was Dorian and she had little to no idea what had happened to Adam or Bill or where they could possibly be now.

A thought that really worried her, after being both of them for such a long period of time it was odd at best not to have them around.

Bringing the hand up that wasn't currently holding the shotgun, something she was still admittedly afraid to even look at she really couldn't imagine firing this at someone though anything was better than what she had been assigned, to rub at an area of her neck above the collar as she glanced about the area of jungle Dorian and herself had been walking in for awhile. Without any knowledge on the new danger zones--beyond the graveyard of course--she wasn't completely sure if the next step they took could be leading them straight into another danger zone or not, the thought in itself causing her mind to wonder back to the sheer fear that had run through her veins back in the graveyard when their collars had begun to go off. Shaking her head at the thought she needed to concentrate on finding somewhere where they could take a moment to catch their breath and take care of their wounds before moving to moving onto the next step, which would be trying to find where Adam and Bill had gone when they got separated.

Allowing her focus to turn forward again she quickly noted that the jungle path they had been following seemed to be quickly opening up into a wider area, swallowing hard and rather hoping this didn't turn into a repeat of their time in the graveyard. Though as she stepped into the morning light all she found herself greeted with was the sight of a little home of sorts. Figuring that with how big the areas tended to be, if this had become a danger zone they would have well known by now.

Still she continued making small steps as if at any time she needed to turn around and rush back to where they had come from, though the closer and closer she got to the cottage the less she was greeted with.

Blinking after a moment she sighed somewhat as one part of her worry seemed to be taken away. Approaching the area in a somewhat more calm like manner as she moved passed the old, worn-down fence that surrounded it. Now slightly worried about the second half that was eating away at her, that being the worry that someone--or even more than one--might be here already and the good chance that they weren't nice people. Already greeted with a less than pleasant smell in the air, not to mention the less than pleasant sight greeting them in the doorway of the cottage, a corpse she couldn't say she could recognize. Trying to ignore the body--though it was a little hard when you where going to have to step over it--as she moved closer to the home and peered in through the front door finding herself greeted only by two more open doors and similarly lacking anything or anyone. Listening for a moment longer and taking a moment to peer toward the open kitchen/dining area, forcing her to step closer to the corpse, before deciding that the inside at least was safe for them to go in and at least rest a little bit and hopefully it not be ruined by someone rushing them and opening fire like the past two times had gone.

Stepping over the body Izzy moved inside with a small glance around the damp and old looking place, most of the furniture and wallpapering that managed to remain looking like something out of those 40s/50s commercial you saw people on TV trying to copy every so often. Leaning back to poke her head out toward Dorian with a small smile, "I think we're good to come in now, doesn't seem to be anyone around. Not to mention this'll be a good place to rest with a locking door and all."

Moving back she moved to place her daysack on the ground, placing the shotgun off to the side and removing her medical kit. Wondering into the nearby kitchen to place it atop the kitchen counter and open it, looking over what remained, almost wishing she had some more of that morphine to help subdue some of the pain. Lifting her shit she hissed somewhat as she removed the bandage, stomping her foot likely in some way of helping deal with it. "S-so Dorian..." She muttered, a bit of a shake in her voice as she glanced back somewhat. "Any ideas of what we should do next? Well--" Izzy paused as she tossed the blood soaked bandage aside and pour some of the rubbing alcohol over the bullet wound, causing more less-than-pleased sounds and words to leave her. "Besides... besides looking for Adam and Bill of course, beyond that things aren't looking to bright any more."

Grabbing at a bandage she moved to try and place it on her, though mostly failed from a combination of the awkward placement and the shaking. Sighing and trying again, "Heh. Though what I wouldn't give for a warm shower and some clothes that weren't soaked in my own blood."
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler riserugu. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Crash†

Post by Crash† »

(Dorian Ibanescu continued from In Your Honour)

(No, you're right.)

Exhaustion was a feeling that Dorian was more than well-acquainted with, especially over the course of his stay on the island, but it was something you never got used to. For what seemed like the first time since their maniacal sprint from the graveyard Dorian eased up his pace and grinded to a slow walk beside Izzy, exhaling heavily as the two traversed their way through the jungle. The collar had stopped beeping a good while ago, but some urgency had kept the two of them going. He knew Izzy would be somewhat uncomfortable since they'd lost Adam and Bill somewhere along the way, and decided consequently that he'd have to be more supportive to make up for their absence.

His first attempt at this notion had been offering to carry Izzy's pack several times in the jungle, but even with her shoulder and hip the way they were she'd insisted that she was fine. She was a trooper, that was certain. Still, he kept an extra close eye on her as they blindly weeded their way through the foliage, catching a glimpse of her groaning in pain on a few occasions, but every time finding himself less able to say something. Despite his impressive physical presence Dorian had never exactly been the most forward of people, which seemed to manifest itself even in a contest for their lives.

After a good few hours of blind navigation the two finally stumbled upon a clearing, and with the possibility that this place could also be a danger zone setting in Dorian found himself taking small steps towards the building. Izzy, being the bolder of the two was a few steps ahead of him, and after checking the inside door of the cabin she gave him the all clear. Relieved, Dorian made his way inside the cabin behind her, whereupon he took Izzy's advice and turned to lock the door. Raven's corpse slid out of the way and onto the ground outside and Dorian mumbled some kind of apology as the door closed and the faint, comforting sound of the bolt lock snapped into place.

Despite the rank stench that permeated basically the entire island now, the cottage was oddly serene. It had a bit of a retro feel to it that set Dorian off slightly (the idea that somebody like Danya could have a sense of style was quite appalling), but he wasn't about to complain. It was the first time he'd felt comfortable since back at the lookout tower when he was surrounded by SADD.

With the exception of Neil and Corbin, Dorian hadn't been very well-acquainted with any of the other members. Still, there was a certain comradery between them that he was beginning to miss. What was becoming of them now, though? They'd just murdered Dennis - a sign that told him that the group was slowly but surely breaking apart. He still had faith in Neil, though. After they re-united with Adam, Bill and Marnie, they'd find Neil and get out of this hellhole...together.

When Izzy broke the silence Dorian couldn't help but feel like her timing was perfect, since her concerns almost echoed his thoughts.

"Well, we have to find them...and I have to find Marnie. I've been looking for her for a week, and nothing..." He trailed off. It was hard to keep faith in such a hopeless situation. "And there not being an announcement worries me. What if she's already...?" As quickly as the thought surfaced, Dorian shook it out of his mind and continued. He couldn't think like that. Not only was it not practical, but he could already feel himself getting emotional just considering the possibility.

"A-anyway, once we find them I think we should go find Neil. He'd been working out a..." Remembering that the collars were wired with microphones, Dorian decided to try to imply things a different way while pointing to his collar and trying to indicate to Izzy that he didn't want the terrorists to catch on. "Well, we should find him at any rate. We'll be a lot safer."

When Izzy mentioned something about a shower, Dorian decided to take the opportunity to look around the cabin. There were streaks of blood in a few places, but other than that the place seemed relatively untouched. Unfortunately for them the running water in the bathroom wasn't working (as expected), but there were a few places (a bed and a couch ideally) that the two of them could rest up for a while.

As he re-entered the kitchen he saw Izzy seethingly grimacing through the re-application of her bandage, and in response Dorian layed his pack on the ground and opened up the first aid kit. He withdrew the syringe and the morphine, and following the instructions provided loaded it with one dose.

"I've still got all mine..." He suggested, nodding towards the needle and flicking the syringe a couple times like they did on TV to remove the excess drops from the end.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Crash. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
riserugu†

Post by riserugu† »

Izzy glanced back somewhat as she finished applying the bandage onto her hip wound, remaining still before turning around fully to face Dorian as he began to speak concerning her just spoken thoughts about what they could possibly do after this. Listening quietly she looked a bit curious over the name mentioned by Dorian that he was also looking for, carefully running the name through her mind and trying to put a face to a name... which surprisingly wasn't to hard, she knew the other girl from just around school—though throughout her time on the island she didn't remember having heard anything about the girl, let alone having actually seen her. Though Izzy couldn't help frowning a little as Dorian trailed off concerning finding her and Izzy found herself glancing away with a small sound.

She found herself wanting to perhaps say something, give the other kid some hope or something for finding the girl as she had been doing for herself when she had been looking for Adam... hell she was right back in that place again it seemed like. But she couldn't really bring herself to say anything on the subject because they had long past the point the need for false hope. Still though the mention of the missed announcement worried her as well, "There's got to be something up with that... and remember how before when he mentioned those kids that had been killed up didn't say how they had been killed or who killed them? I don't know—maybe I'm looking at it to hard but he seems to take some kind of pleasure talking about how someone died and even more when ratting out to the whole island that had killed them if that's the case and to just... I don't know like I said I'm probably just thinking to much."

Pausing though she fell silent again as Dorian began to speak about considering trying to find Neil—pursing her lips at this thought as she slowly peeled away the bandages on her shoulder to glance over the wound there. Thankfully though it seemed a lot better considering she had had a bullet shot through her shoulder blade at close range, her arm still hurt but that was bloody expected. Still she didn't have a lot of thoughts on Neil, she faintly remembered him being there when she had been separated from Keith and of course she had to hear the announcement where his and his group's camera breaking had cost a few girls their lives. The whole pointing to his collar though was lost on the girl, blinking somewhat and glancing around again briefly wondering where the camera in this place was... if Neil and his group hadn't already torn through here and busted them up.

Nonetheless though Izzy nodded to Dorian's words about finding him, at this point in this game there was an increasing value with the whole safety in numbers bit and anyway whatever it was that Neil was working out (an escape plan more than likely) she supposed it had to at least have some merit if Dorian had trust in it.

Pouring what little was left of the rubbing alcohol onto both sides of her shoulder she sifted again to start wrapping it up as Dorian seemed to wonder off to search the house. Managing it somewhat better than the other as she tucked the loose end under the wrap and sighed before looking up as Dorian reentered the kitchen area with a syringe in hand. Watching him somewhat before he spoke and nodding a little, "Let's just hope this time is better than the last." She said because though the harsh bite of the pain had been taken away, she was so sick to her stomach that it almost didn't matter.

But maybe it was just a one time thing, or maybe in Bill's haste to help them he might have done something wrong... either way she knew she would need this if she even wanted to think about carrying on their search anytime soon. Pushing away from the counter top she nodded toward the couch sitting askew in the living area, "Come on, let's sit... probably be easier to do anyway." Izzy mumbled as she moved toward the aforementioned couch with a glance over because the gods only knew how long it had been here but hell a place to sit was a place to sit and sighing as she did and smiling a little toward the other in the room.

"Been so caught up in my own thoughts and problems I never did get the chance to ask even though you've so nice... and worrying about me—but um... you-you're alright aren't you?"
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler riserugu. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Crash†

Post by Crash† »

Izzy was right. The normal sadism that Danya approached the morning announcements with had been completely absent the last time he graced them with his presence, which Dorian also found odd now that he thought about it. Somehow, not hearing the morbid ways his classmates had been murdered over the last day or two was even more chilling to Dorian than hearing about their gruesome deaths. It was disgusting logic, but it was all because of the game, in the end. Still, Izzy's train of thought led him to remember yet another odd occurrence.

"Remember when that weird foreign screaming blared over the speakers, too? There's gotta be something up with that. I don't think they're the type to play games." The street fighter reference and its significance were both lost on Dorian, but he couldn't help but notice how out of place the interruption had been; especially on a day when Danya had been so uncharacteristically silent. The both of them were probably just clinging to false hope, but it was one of the only things keeping him sane at the moment.

When she gave him permission to help her with the morphine, Dorian smiled softly and complied. The two of them moved over to the nearby couch, and instinctively (as he'd read while studying before) he tapped Izzy's arm lightly a few times to get the feel for where her veins were. He didn't consider himself a professional with medicine, but given that it was his career aspiration he probably had a leg up on most of the other students at Southridge. After he found a fairly obvious vein and heard Izzy's semi-optimistic statement, he carefully pierced her skin with the syringe and injected the morphine into her with surprising efficiency. After about four seconds he withdrew the needle again, discarding the now used end of the syringe and replacing the stock of it into his kit.

When everything had been put away properly he turned to face Izzy again just as she inquired as to his state of mind. "Believe it or not, I've been better!" He exclaimed with a bit of a forced chuckle, but regardless it felt good to be able to laugh even slightly in their situation. Still, he supposed he should count himself lucky; most of the people he'd wandered across so far had been injured in some way, and for the most part (despite sore and aching muscles) he remained unscathed.

"I'm not hurt or anything, but I can't stop thinking about Marnie..." He supposed he really did have an almost one-track mind, but with affairs of the heart, logic had no place.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Crash. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
riserugu†

Post by riserugu† »

Izzy looked slightly curious as Dorian mentioned the weird foreign screaming that had taken place a few days before as well, tilting her head somewhat and trying to remember what—if anything had been said about it when it had happened. She knew it was from a video game that wasn't to hard to figure out being one of her favorite past-times but that didn't give her any clue as to just why it had happened... unless of course whoever else was with Danya had been playing video games and had accidentally turned on the intercom system to the whole island. Though that seemed to be pushing it because like Dorian mentioned this group didn't seem to be the video-game type, though they couldn't push it aside as nothing either because after that happened was when all the other odd, already-mentioned, stuff began to happen.

Pausing her thinking though she focused back on Dorian as he took her arm and began to tap on it lightly, pursing her lips somewhat as she watched the needle piece her skin—only flinching slightly before it was removed and discarded and Izzy gently rubbed at the little pin-prick of blood visible on her skin. At the statement though from Dorian she found herself a bit taken back, blinking somewhat with a tilt of her head at the forced chuckle that followed afterward. Staring for a short moment before looking down to where she was pressing the pad of her thumb against the injection site before looking up as Dorian began to speak once again... mentioning Marnie again which for some reason caused Izzy to chuckle ever so lightly.

"Seems we're a lot like..." Izzy said in a thoughtful manner, propping her arm up on one of the couch arms and resting her head against her open palm. Musing somewhat as she watched the sunlight straining through the torn and ratty curtains still managing to still hang in their place. "In the 'really wanting to find someone' department at least."

She sighed at that point, leaning back and trying to get comfortable—rather hoping the whole morphine experience wasn't so terribly bad as last time but knowing her luck all she could do was wonder sometimes. "All the worrying about what could possibly happen to that person before you actually find them... it's nice for that short moment not to worry be worried at, I at least managed to get a bit lucky with that." Izzy muttered lightly, smiling somewhat before sighing. "But at the same time I'm not lucky at all considering I'm right back in that boat. Now it's just back to worrying even though I wonder why... he's already been through this before if anyone has a chance of being alright it's him."

Falling silent she couldn't help thinking back to that time at the marsh after being shot by Julie and that stupid set of three little words that had been picking at her thoughts for the most part. "...I wonder who he's really said that to." Izzy muttered lightly, shaking her head somewhat and smiling back up to Dorian.

"I would tell you not to worry, that everything will be okay and you'll find her... but that's perhaps a little too optimistic for us at this point. But at the same time—sometimes those are the only things keeping me going, that silly and naïve optimism."
Crash†

Post by Crash† »

"Seems like we're a lot alike...in the 'really wanting to find someone' department at least."

Despite the fact that Izzy sighed in dismay after saying that, Dorian actually felt slightly more comfortable. She'd always been easy to get along with during class and at school functions, but he'd never really considered Izzy a good friend of his back at Southridge. It was rather unfortunate now that he realized how similar the two of them were, but hopefully when this was all over...assuming it all worked out, he'd have the chance to get to know her better. It had to work out...

What Izzy said about worrying about 'that person' rung all too true in Dorian's mind, amplified by the fact that Marnie hadn't been mentioned in any way, shape or form on the announcements since the game had begun. In a way, he almost hoped she killed somebody, just so he could hear that she was okay...but no, that would be awful. Still, at least with Adam Izzy could take solace in the fact that she'd just seen him, and he was bound to be on the move. Dorian's fears continued on.

When she mentioned that silly, naive optimism was probably the only thing keeping her going, Dorian couldn't help but smile. It was in that moment that he really felt a connection between him and Izzy. It wasn't romantic, but it was almost...like a sibling. It reminded him of his sister back home, who somehow always knew what he was thinking. Now, it seemed, not only were they similar people in terms of their popularity and disposition, but they thought and felt the same way, too. It was re-assuring.

"I will find her, though. And we'll find Adam and Bill too. We have to."

He didn't realize it, but that might've been the most assertive Dorian had ever sounded in his life. Having said that, he felt it necessary to cut their break a bit short and resume the treacherous hike across the island to resume their search. While they were resting the others could be in danger, and he couldn't forget about Neil...

"We should go, if you're feeling okay. We'll never find them just sitting here." His eyes traced across Izzy's shoulder wound. He knew she'd have to bandage it again before they left, which he was obviously willing to wait for, but upon noticing her pack he cleared his throat and spoke up again.

"I oughta carry that for you..." He indicated with a nod of his head. "With your shoulder and wounds the way they are, I don't think you could handle that stuff...plus you'll probably feel a little stiff, and that's not good for the bag or the gun."
riserugu†

Post by riserugu† »

Izzy found herself blinking somewhat at the rather confindate statement from Dorian concerning finding Marnie that left her a little... perhaps admeration? She wasn't sure, it was odd though she found herself musing in the back of her mind as a smile spread across her features as she nodded somewhat to his words. Even though she had been slightly concerned with being lost from Adam and Bill she felt a lot better being in Dorian's presence--though they weren't anything close to what one would call friends, they had a few talks in passing be it in class or at some function but it was never anything more than that. Now though she felt, at least a small one, connection with this person... being an only child she didn't completely understand the bond between siblings, sure she had listened to Adam once or twice talk about his brothers but she could barely understand it still. Perhaps though this was what she felt connected with Dorian... chuckling somewhat at the oddity of the thought before being distracted by Dorian speaking again concerning them getting back on the move so they'd be able to find those important people.

Nodding again she pushed herself up with a short sound still slightly woozy from the medication but feeling better than she had in a long while which was saying a lot after everything that had happened this week. But for some reason she felt refresed--very well could be from the powerful pain medication turning through her bloodstream--and ready to set out in order to find not only Adam and Bill, but hopefully Marnie as well before anything could happen to them.

"Alright then! I'm ready to go if you are." She mused out as she found herself smiling again, another terribly odd thing to happen after all this time but she just couldn't help it really. Though Dorian clearing his throat broke her little moment and she tilted her head toward him with a small look as he nodded toward her pack and the gun she had picked up from that boy's body back in the graveyard. Listening to his concern and suggestion for him to carry it which caused Izzy to frown, opening her mouth to decline but found the words halting in her throat before she could speak them--blinking somewhat and sighing, folding her arms carefully across her waistline and nodding again. "Kay then I'll let you handle my things, you'd probably be better handling that gun than me anyway." She said lightly as she prodded his shoulder somewhat, with a wink. "And don't worry, my new bandages should hold up for a while but if it gets to bad I promise to stop and take care of it."

The next few moments were spent mostly helping get both of their packs on Dorian's back and that everything was in order before she moved to the door and undid the latch, pulling it open with a slight frown at the corpse on the doorstep. Gently stepping over it with a small 'sorry' said under her breath before continuing down the small pathway and out past the fence that surrounded the small home. Unsure of just where they might end up next, but smiling back toward Dorian and falling in step she at least knew they'd both be okay until they made it there.

[[ Izzy continued elsewhere~ ]]
Crash†

Post by Crash† »

Somehow, their mood had transformed from hopeless to hopeful in a matter of minutes; something that Dorian was infinitely thankful for. His newfound friend and confidence were exactly what he needed to hoist the two bags (which were rather awkwardly placed but somehow stayed put) over his back and the shotgun into his hands. It was a heavier load than before, but nothing he couldn't manage.

With Izzy's optimism restored, Dorian found that the atmosphere around the cottage was rather pleasant as they made their way out, despite the corpses that littered the doorway and surrounding area. Seeing Vera Lang on the bed inside had been worrisome, as she bore a faint resemblance to both Izzy and Marnie, but as he looked up towards Izzy a few paces ahead of him he realized that he couldn't afford to make those kinds of comparisons. They were completely different people, with completely different sets of circumstances. Vera might not have made it, but that was exactly why the other two had to.

Rather, it was why they would.

Closing the door behind him mainly as a force of habit, Dorian caught up to Izzy and the two of them marched off into the jungle together.

(Dorian Ibanescu continued elsewhere)

Return to “Small Cottage”