The Glow Up

Open; Tagging Blizzard

George Hunter High School's prom itself, held at an event center in downtown Chattanooga on May 25, 2018. The theme is Glow In The Dark. This forum can cover anything from the arrival at the dance to when students leave. There are plenty of chaperones around to keep an eye on things and unsupervised areas are off-limits, so no private threads are allowed at the event.
Buko

The Glow Up

Post by Buko »

((Ace continued from: Before Prom))

Beats felt so good as he entered the scene of the Prom he didn't even feel the need to have his headphones in at this very moment...

Well, maybe a slight need--he definitely felt like he could've set a better playlist than whoever they had DJing the Prom! I mean Taylor Swift? It was whatever and he had long since realized that he was naturally biased to anything that wasn't Hip-Hop. It made dealing with the often wack, perhaps wiggity-wiggity so, musical preferences his classmates, uh, preferred, easier.

Whatever! Hard to be upset about anything at this moment!

And that much was true--first of all he felt he looked good.

His outfit was an ode to one of his favorite Hip-Hop songs International Players Anthem. It was a great song because it was UGK featuring Outkast, both iconic duos in Southern Hip-Hop who finally joined forces in 2006 after a decade of dominating and changing the culture of rap music. In the music video, Outkast's Andre 3000 wears a kilt with a tuxedo top and a beret of some sort and raps about 'typing a text to a girl I used to see, telling her I found this cutie pie with whom I wanna be'. Ace felt very much inspired by Andre 3000 the self proclaimed ATLien and although from Chattanooga and not from Atlanta, although very much a jock and only barely a musician--Beats felt like he had a lot of 3 Stacks' energy within him. The three green glow stick necklaces he was wearing definitely made him feel a bit otherworldly.

The second and most important reason Ace Beats was walking on sunshine happened to be because he had with him good company! Meilin Zhou had agreed to be his date and Ace felt like he couldn't have picked a much better girl--he really had out kicked his coverage to use a football metaphor. She was nice, she was cute and best of all she was his friend and there was really no extra pressure to be cool or some hyper jock meat head football player. He appreciated Meilin's optimism and what it brought out in him...

Let's not give her an awkward or weird prom then, huh?

Ace looked downward to his date on his arm and grinned...

"So...," he said rather playfully while still trying to figure out what to say, "First things first, I gotta say again, you are really looking, um...nice tonight and stuff."

Yeah, real Andre 3000 smooth right there...

"And, uh, second things second...you down to find some snacks up in here?"
"My man got too familiar and I’d ended up having to whoop his ass, man, you know. Because he would step across the line. Habitually. He’s a habitual line stepper.” -Charlie Murphy
[+] Ace of Hearts
V8 Relationship Thread

Slidin'
Lookin' for the opps, they been hidin'
I grew up 'round drugs, sex, and violence
We turnt off they street, we heard sirens
Since a juvenile, I been wylin'
BlizzardeyeWonder

Post by BlizzardeyeWonder »

[Meilin Zhou- PROM 2]

The lad, he actually wore a kilt- probably?

If anything though, that made Ace's company more enjoyable. Perhaps their outfits weren't coordinated to perfection- she had gone with the red and white dress after all, figuring it would stand out in the dark better- but that was okay too. Smiles were wide and the bass was pumping. It had to, because the pop songs on right now were nothing but bass. Which was admittedly more boring than that should be- but was bass ever meant to be on its own? Well it worked on its own, she'd seen a guy pull a bass guitar solo. But this bass was different, and she felt it couldn't quite hold up. Ah well, that was alright too.

"Aw, thank you!" she replied with a smile after he complimented her dress, she was glad it worked out. Not only did the white top pop nicely with the glow-in-the-dark theme of its own volition, but the sequins scattered what light there was in all directions- it created a rather pretty aura of light if she did say so herself. The glittery-ness of the frills filling out her skirt were more subtle, but it made a contribution too. She sometimes worried it looked tacky. Obviously Ace didn't think so.

As for snacks? Hm. She'd gone to prom before and such, and the snacks were nothing to write home about. Still, she figured it was worth getting a bite to eat.

"Sure, I'm not expecting anything heavy though," she noted, with a laugh. "Maybe a hand-sized bag of cheetos if we're lucky!"
[+] Meilin
Meilin Zhou (Wiki) - DEAD

>Pregame Start: life observes itself
-->Pregame Status: Waltzed out a party with her crush
>Prom Start: Fancy Meeting You Here
-->Prom Status: Taking a dance, taking on the world
>Trip Start: The Best of You
-->Trip Status: Running away from an eyeful of NSFW
>Game Start: Rise Great Undead Lord Dread
-->Game Status (FINAL): Stop hitting yourself

Aesthetics
"No sun to rise would be okay with me... Everyday, every day is okay"
[+] Camilla
Camilla Bell (Wiki) - DEAD

>Pregame Start: Who's Turn Was It, Anyway?
-->Pregame Status: Had more than her fair share of revelry
>Prom Start: Early in the Morning
-->Prom Status: Ditching the drama for blues
>Trip Start: When I'm Gone
-->Trip Status: Preemptively homesick
>Game Start: Bloom Nobly, in a Transient Life
-->Game Status (FINAL): Loved to death.

Aesthetics
"A voice in her head, a voice in her head, screaming all the words that were left unsaid"
Buko

Post by Buko »

Ace should've probably eaten before it seemed...but like there was a suuuuuuuuper long line at the barber shop and it was actually tougher than he though to get into a kilt bottom and Tuxedo top when you had never worn either before. Whatever, hind sight was 20/20. He also had stood in line for a long time trying to get a red corsage but he had come through with that for Meilin filling his duty as a date! I mean, she wasn't his girlfriend or anything and it'd be a bit weird to coordinate matching outfits, wouldn't it? I mean...he wanted Meilin to have a good time but it was his prom too! He didn't want to punt on originality and wear just a plain Jane black tux--that would just be ridic!

You're such a dork. A dork in a kilt.

But my own unique brand of dork, thankfully. Hopefully. Maybe. Probably.

"Cheetos and red Kool-Aid," he said with a small smile, "Cheers to the Class of '18, huh?"

Ace may have been good on the football field but he hadn't been cool enough to nab an invite to Prom as a Junior. Still there was a rule in football when it came to overt celebration--you had to act like you had been there before. Ace could put on as good a front as anyone and he scanned the scene of the Prom with a certain level of skepticism...

Was that a shoe that just flew in the air? Goddamn Horned Owls gettin' busy tonight! Ayyyyyy, I'm down!

Ignoring the projectile footwear across the room near the dance floor Ace made eye contact with the table with the punch bowl and figured that was as good a place as any to start looking for sustenance.

"Alright, mission snag some snacks a-go," he said with a faux degree of seriousness, "Get some grub and then we'll hit the dance floor! Show off both of our legs, right?"
"My man got too familiar and I’d ended up having to whoop his ass, man, you know. Because he would step across the line. Habitually. He’s a habitual line stepper.” -Charlie Murphy
[+] Ace of Hearts
V8 Relationship Thread

Slidin'
BlizzardeyeWonder

Meilin's eyes were following the flying shoe for a moment, before blinking and registering Ace's request for snacks. Then they followed to where he was facing- a bowl of punch.

"Woah, what was that?" she asked out loud. "Shoe punch courtesy the football team?" she joked with giggle.

She wasn't sure if anyone other than herself would get the joke. That was okay, but it would be even better if it made Ace smile too! Well, we was already smiling, but could he smile wider? You know what, Meilin wasn't awfully sure of that. Would it even be healthy to smile wider? Seriously, at some point somebody's gotta pull a muscle or something. Hey, wasn't there a police code for a pulled muscle due to a- no, no, that was a joke in a comic she read some time ago. That was a good comic, she should track it down again.

Okay, back on topic- it was time to get some punch! Hopefully without flying shoe. Again, she couldn't help but smile at her own joke- even if it did risk pulling a muscle.

"They should have gotten ballet slippers in there, we'd probably need some dancing juice- hah!"
[+] Meilin

Aesthetics
[+] Camilla

Aesthetics
"A voice in her head, a voice in her head, screaming all the words that were left unsaid"
Buko

Post by Buko »

"Hey if it's the football team to blame just know I played no part!"

Ace laughed or at least tried to laugh it off--being a footballer was so much a part of his identity but he knew it was very much a caveman sport that attracted a lot of caveman like people. Pair that with group think and the fact that they were actual goddamn gladiators playing a 20th century war game on the field...yeah it bred some toxic masculinity. Emphasis on toxic.

Ace liked to think of himself as more than that but maybe he wasn't? Sometimes he thought it would be easier if he was. He was happy to just spend time with Meilin and enjoy a dance but he had never thought of confessing whatever maybe not no big deal, no not at all, feelings he had for her. Maybe if he was a bit more assertive things would be better for him.

Or how 'bout not...?

Not gonna hear no complaints from me, me.

"Y'know, let's just hope that nothing is spiked at all! Last ballet slipper I had was too tough anyway, I need it to be well done, they cooked it rare--horrible, had to talk to the manager, I hate talking to the manager."

He paused, what the hell was he babbling about? Was he just talking because he liked the sound of his voice? He needed to pivot--quick.

"I think just straight up punch sounds swell!"

Swell? Really?

On that note he reached the punch bowl and tried his best to pour two cups without spilling any on his sleeves or his fancy as hell kilt. It only half worked as there was a bit of punch on both cups but he tried to absorb most of the liquid with his palm as he handed one over to Meilin and then took a big sip himself.

He knew he had to say something, he knew he was supposed to be charming and interesting and like charismatic and fun...but at this moment, he froze and sipped his punch.

"Good punch, yeah."

He liked purple Kool-Aid more than red. Red was acceptable though. The punch was Orange--mediocre at best.
[+] Ace of Hearts
V8 Relationship Thread

Slidin'
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

Tirzah leaned against the counter of the McDonalds, elbow propping up her head as she looked up at the menu. She flipped up the rainbow colored star glasses to rest on her head and popped her gum.

"Can I take your order?" asked the kid behind the counter, who looked to be about the same age as them.

"For the rest of your life, if you want," she replied.

((Tirzah Foss: Prom start))

Tirzah and Toby ate the burgers in their rented limo on the way to the event. Tirzah capped it off by washing down a handful of edible gummies with pilfered liquor until the water bottle containing it was drained. They'd done the pictures and hoopla at Toby's house. Her parents said they'd get the shots from Toby's parents via email or Facebook, and so declined to see them off.

Tirzah was wearing a silver dress made of a holographic material that shifted into a rainbow depending on the angle the light hit her. The dress itself was held up by two thin straps and the top of the dress crossed over her chest and wrapped around, leaving a bare section of midriff below the ribs, before becoming a skirt again. The skirt itself went to below the knee with a slit up to the mid-thigh. With this, she paired a fuzzy purple stole, hoop earnings and her star glasses.

She turned to Toby after they entered the venue. "Let's get some punch, 'kay?"
BlizzardeyeWonder

Meilin smiled as she grasped the cup, letting its disposable styrofoamyness feel smooth and bubbly on the tips of her fingers- or was that the punch itself?

Now Ace had said something about eating ballet shoes that weren't done right and talking to the manager, which made her laugh. A droplet or two escaped over the rim of the cup, but that was okay. Didn't hit her dress, though it might not be too bad since orange stains shouldn't be the end of the world on red. If it landed on white though, that would probably mean trouble.

She took a sip of it, wondering if she was really that weird for liking orange Kool-Aid. I mean, Chen called her a weirdo once for it, but he liked the green kind. Which was okay! It just seemed a bit hypocritical to her. Well, hypocrisy is a strong word for a discourse on different colours of a kiddie snack drink, but still. It fit the definition. Or did it? What was the definition, anyway? Maybe it was one of those things you intuit without the need for the mechanic, binary is-or-isn't of dictionary definitions.

"Yep, it's good punch!" she replied to Ace after her train of thought arrived at its destination. She then took another sip, a bit bigger than the last.
[+] Meilin

Aesthetics
[+] Camilla

Aesthetics
Espi

Post by Espi »

((Toby continued from Pump and Dump))

Toby and Tirzah weren't like, BFFs or anything. But she was pretty hot and liked a good time. The BDSM thing with the cashier had been a liiiitle awkward, but after the burgers and gummies he had pretty much forgotten that that'd happened. Now Toby was doing pretty good.

Toby was glad it wasn't that bad a time to stare at a girl because Tirzah's dress was, in a word, absolutely mesmerizing. It was very shiny and also showed plenty for his liking. Comparatively, Toby was pretty groomed and all, but he was just in a light gray suit with a purple tie. They matched, more or less, so he was filling his fashion job for the night.

Oh, Tirzah asked him a question. "Oh, yeah, sounds good." Toby smiled at her. She looked great, and he was honestly kinda surprised nobody had gotten her first. He'd made a good call when whatsherface asked him out. Lori.

As they approached the concessions table, Toby was happy to see who was over there. Beats was on the team with him, and he made music and it was pretty cool so even though he was kind of dorky and awkward he was cool. Meilin he knew from seeing at other parties around, and she was pretty chill and fun and she drove drunk people around and that was a good.

"Hey guys!" Toby waved as he rolled up to table and without pause started serving himself and handing a cup to Tirzah to pick her own flavor. "How's the going? Party ramping up yet?"
Buko

Post by Buko »

"mmhm, yup, love me some punch..."

He sipped his own drink again, unable to really think of anything to say and too scared to say anything stupid.

He blinked and then gulped deep.

De pinga Beats, you gotta do better than that!

When Toby and Tirzah made their way to the punch bowl Ace was so relieved he could've actually pointed up to the sky and thanked God. He was able to compose himself though but he was definitely thankful in his head. Meilin made him too comfortable and that made him crazy uncomfortable. He also had a bad case of foot-in-mouthitis to contend with. A Chronic case actually.

"Ayyyyyyyy! Whaddup Toby! Tirzah! Lookin' good you two, lookin' good," he nodded appreciatively at their Prom get ups, "Y'all lookin' fresh to death as to be expected, I fucks with it!"

Ace felt much more comfortable in group situations than he did in a one on one situation with Meilin. He hadn't really ever been on a solo-date before and although Prom was kinda cheating he was still nervous and hoping things went well. He was for sure he was one more punch comment away from wanting to take his own lunch money. That shit needed to stop.

"Eh, I dunno, it seems kinda cool--just got here to be honest so still scopin' it out. But what's the line? Party don't start till I walk in, right? I'm tryin' to get hydrated and then mess up that dance floor, sloppy style, ya feel me?"
[+] Ace of Hearts
V8 Relationship Thread

Slidin'
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

"Thanks, lookin' good yourself" Tirzah responded to Ace, shooting him the finger guns and winking. She also discretely tilted her head in the direction of Melin as if to show her approval.

Her head lolled to the side and she stared dreamily at Ace as he spoke. A cup appeared in front of her and Tirzah took it from the giver, Toby a little echoing voice suggested.

Where am I?

Suddenly a new song started up, Cool for the Summer.

Oh! Prom.

"Oh! I love this one. Here, let's dance."

Tirzah grabbed Meilin by the arm and pulled her to the dance floor. She settled to a stop put her arms resting on the other girl's shoulders, locking her fingers together behind her neck and started shimmying in time to the music.
BlizzardeyeWonder

Meilin let out a near-inaudible yelp when the other girl- Tirzah, she believed- grabbed her for a dance. Was it really a yelp if nobody could hear it? Anyway, wow this must be an awkward situation for their dates. It seemed Tirzah brought Toby along.

All that being said, somebody had to start dancing at some point, right?

In a quiet giggle, Meilin called to the side-

"Sorry Ace! Sorry Toby!"

She put her hands on her unexpected partner's shoulders, mirroring her movements to some degree as they danced.
[+] Meilin

Aesthetics
[+] Camilla

Aesthetics
Espi

Post by Espi »

Well Toby had never been to prom before, so..wait, had he? Yeah, no, never. So he didn't have any idea if this was a 'good' or 'bad' prom, except that it probably wasn't gonna be too much like the movies, but let's be honest nothing is right? Sometimes it was lame but at least sometimes it meant less drama.

"Not to shabby yourself, man." Toby nodded and grinned. He had no idea why Ace was wearing a skirt but he wasn't going to call him on it. He seemed happy. "You and Meilin, yeah?" Meilin was cute. She was chill, went with the flow and all that. They were a good couple. Wait, where they a couple? Toby couldn't remember. Anyway, Mei was cute but she didn't quite match up to his da-

Wait, where'd his date go? Toby turned to look, but Tirzah was gone. He turned to look back at Ace and Meilin, but Meilin was gone too. He spun around, momentarily disoriented, and saw them rushing off to dance with...each other. Okay, Toby could get behind that. He folded his arms and watched. He knew Tirzah was good on the floor but if Meilin could hold her own that'd be, well, nice.

"Sorry, man, I'm not dancing with you." Toby turned to Ace and chuckled.
Buko

Post by Buko »

D-d-did she just steal my girl?

Damn.

Did I just call her my girl?

Slow your roll Aceito.

Ace blinked as Tirzah made off with his date and then stared at Toby who seemed to be way too chill with this whole situation. Ace buried his own insecurity. He had been hyping up being on a date with Meilin far too much--it wasn't that serious! It was Prom! You had to go with somebody. The key was to treating things casually and not having no expectations.

"Damn Underwood, really?" Ace asked mock pouting, "You can't be a good 'nuff dancer that you can afford to be choosey--what with your date wanting to dance with mine instead of your two left feet havin' ass."

Ace shoved his track team mate jokingly and chuckled back at him, setting down his punch. He felt almost like a different person in this situation, he liked this version of himself more. Maybe that was the point. There was a mischievousness in the air and a lightness in tone that Tirzah had put over this whole vibe by the quirkiness of her behavior. Ace could do quirky. It was totes in his wheelhouse.

"Class of '18 sandwich? You get T and I'll handle Mei?"

Ace began to shake his hips and move his legs in a traditional salsa move, he had been dancing to Cuban music with his grandmother since he was four. It was a long way from dancing with his feet on top of his abuelas but he still knew those moves like the back of his hand. Ace weaved through the dance floor until he got to Tirzah and Meilin and then positioned himself behind Meilin...

And began his best Chris Farley impression to the beat of the song, laughing and waiting to see if Toby would follow suit.
[+] Ace of Hearts
V8 Relationship Thread

Slidin'
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

After Meilin's giggle Tirzah smiled back and pulled her in to a position more suited to a slow dance with her left arm around the other girl's waist. They continued swaying to the beat. With her right hand Tirzah's went around the back of Meilin's head and brought her ear close to Tirzah's mouth. Both girls were almost the exact same height which made it much easier.

"So do you like Ace?" she said over the music into Meilin's ear. "I think he really likes you. I can tell."

Before much else could happen Ace came up sandwiching Meilin between the two of them. Her hands dropped off the other girl to laugh hysterically at Ace's exaggerated moves.
BlizzardeyeWonder

Now Tirzah was getting a bit touchy-feely. That was okay, slow dances are cool too. It's just that Meilin didn't expect Tirzah to be her partner for one! Not that this was too bad either. Her arms went over her shoulders, and followed each slow step.

But juuuust as she was getting comfortable, she whispered something in her ear- addressing an elephant in the room.

It was pretty obvious that Ace liked her. Like-like.
Her feelings on the matter were probably also pretty obvious.
Didn't he kiss her on the cheek once?

Right then Tirzah let go, leaving her to spin around to see Ace right behind her. All she could do was smile. Yes, that would be her answer.
[+] Meilin

Aesthetics
[+] Camilla

Aesthetics

Return to “Prom”