Wanderlust

I promise I only have one more of these.

Prom preparations, date-seeking, and anything else which concerns prom and takes place within a few days before the event goes here.
Shiola

Wanderlust

Post by Shiola »

Erika sat cross-legged on the floor of her bedroom, which was illuminated mostly by the fairy lights strung up across the walls. It was the top floor of the Stieglitz home, and its position in the house made it quite isolated. Dull blue light of the late afternoon poured through the large bay window she had turned into something of a reading nook. There was scarcely any bare space on the walls as she had hung dozens of photographs, art, and notes in every conceivable spot. A small desk sat in the corner of the room with a small handgun safe atop it, next to it a half-dozen potted plants.

Connected to the bedroom was a washroom, which was currently occupied, the sound of a running shower emanating from within. She had told Ty to come by right after work so that they could hang out, which he had obliged so long as he could use her shower. Being Ty, and being the youngest person working in the kitchen, he seemed to possess a need to work himself to the bone. Probably felt he had to prove himself or something. It meant he left work feeling gross and sweaty, apparently. Erika was thankful he’d made the time to come see her. It had been a while since they’d last spoke.

She had gone over to his house after school, a day he hadn’t been there. Even knowing what she was walking into, it was a bit of a shock. She knew he had a penchant for getting into fights, but this time it looked like the fight had turned especially sour on his end. As she went in for a hug, he pushed her away. It turned out he’d fractured a rib and so hugs weren’t exactly in the cards for the next little while. She settled on a kiss and they’d spoken over tea. Ty explained what had happened with the Carters, and how his brief encounter with Ivy had likely precipitated it. Much as she’d wanted to march up to Ivy the next day and tear a strip off of her, Ty implored her to leave it alone. There was something more important at that particular moment.

He’d bought her a gift. Two of them, though the first was a glass pipe that broke when the Carters jumped him. The second were beautiful – two small circular resin studs, with petrified leaves embedded inside. They were apparently made by some local craftsperson. It was thoughtful, and it was kind. Two things only few people associated with Tyrell Lahti. It made her think that maybe she’d meant more to him than a friend to get high and fool around with. He meant more to her, too. That and the fear of what he’d find with her clothes off was the reason she’d pushed him away the first time.

Why me? Why not someone more… normal?

He didn’t ask for an answer as to what had happened, at least not right away. Only that she not cut him off, and that he’d be ready to talk about it if and when she was. Then, they just hung out and talked. Not about why she’d avoided him, or the attack at the river. Just about music, classes they both hated, and Ty’s newfound contact with his sister. Erika was sure he didn’t tell anyone else about that last one. Katie had a loving husband and young daughter, a startlingly normal life given what she’d started out with. It was clearly painful for Ty to hear about. After they’d gone through few melted ice-packs and cups of tea, she left.

That was a while ago. They’d texted and seen each other in school, but not much else. It had taken her that time to build up the courage to ask him to come over again. She knew what she had to do, and she knew it wasn’t going to be easy.

I’m so fucking sick of keeping this to myself. There’s only a few months left. Then I’m gone.

There were so many factors to consider. How did he feel about queer and trans people? A sophomore once referred to Lorenzo Tavares with the f-word in his presence, and Ty turned around and backhanded the kid in the face, on the spot. Was that a lack of tolerance for intolerance, or just standing up for someone? It was hard to tell.

Plus he’s been friends with that guy for a while and they haven’t fucked, which at least means he’s either straight or picky. Either is not good news for me.

She’d played some Against Me! for him and talked about how Tom Gabel was now Laura Jane Grace, and how it was really cool that she was making music about being trans and it was actually well-recieved. Ty had thought the record was pretty rad, which was good, right?

“Well, punk’s for everyone, at least it should be. It’s a solid album, I like his – no, I guess her lyrics. It sounds really raw and real.”

Why was she doing this? She could just hang on until the end of the year, and disappear off to Berlin. No one would ever have to know. All of her trans friends online were jealous as fuck that it was so easy for her to be stealth, and that she’d known so early. Was it really right to risk it all like this? People knew Ty and her were something of an item, at least they’d seen them together at school. What if the wrong people found out about her? Ty didn’t need that on top of everything else.

Am I just doing this because I know I’m leaving? That’s really shitty, dude.

Those thoughts raced through her mind as she sat at the small coffee table in the middle of her room. She mostly used it as a flat surface for drugs, but it occasionally was the spot she found herself in when working on various crafts. Small crumbs of cannabis were scattered across the desk next to an errant ball of yarn and a few old photographs. One particular photograph she held in an unsteady hand.

Hey there, little guy. I’m still here, just like I promised I would be.

She stared into the young boy’s eyes, and he seemed to stare back. The picture was taken near the Oberbaumbrücke, one of the first times her parents had taken them to Berlin. He had this haunted expression, a “thousand-yard” stare. She knew what was going on in his head at the time.

”Why are you taking a picture? Can’t you see I hate pictures? Why are we here?”

Some people felt they had to erase their past. Remove all traces of their old name, destroy old pictures. Her parents certainly seemed to think that was the best idea, so long as they lived in a part of the world that wasn’t especially friendly to transgender people. Much as she’d tried so hard to keep it hidden, she didn’t really want to erase part of her life. It was painful. Some of her earliest memories were her worst ones.

Yet, it wasn’t all bad. That trip had been fun, all things considered. It was the first time she’d been on an airplane, and couldn’t stop asking questions about how it was they were flying all the way across the ocean. It was cool to see where her Dad had come from, and as they walked the streets he’d point out all the ways that the city had changed since he was a kid. It was exciting to be in a place where everyone spoke German – it didn’t feel so much like the secret language between Erika and her parents anymore. She wasn’t going to pretend that period of her life didn’t exist. It had made her who she was now. It showed how far she’d come.

At least, not until I find myself somewhere safer.

That’s what this was about, wasn’t it? Trying to stay true to a principle, even when it wasn’t practical to do so? Telling Tyrell meant that at least someone really knew her; there was someone she didn’t feel like she was lying to all the time.

Why him, though?

Erika had been so deep in thought she hadn’t noticed Tyrell emerge from the bathroom, clothed save for his upper half. He was still drying off his hair, and was holding his black t-shirt in one hand and a towel in the other. Erika was very suddenly reminded just how uncomfortably attracted to him she was, and how obvious it was that he knew it.

His chest had a few obvious, nasty-looking scars. The only ones that troubled her were the straight ones, since she knew at they were self-inflicted. None of them were new, thankfully. It looked like he was healing well, as what was once a horrible purple mass of bruises was now more of a faint discolouration on his left side. He had a startling lack of body fat, and was clearly the kind of person who didn’t have to work very hard to stay in fantastic shape. She couldn’t tell whether it was the insane pace he kept his life at, the boxing, or just good genes. He was beautiful.

“Uhh, Erika? You alright?”

Oh.

She was staring off into space, still drowned in her anxieties about what was or wasn’t about to happen. Ty had clearly been a bit lost in thought himself, though as he noticed the expression on Erika’s face, his focus turned entirely to her. He pushed the hair out of his eyes and wrapped the towel around his neck, sitting down across from Erika on the floor.

“Y…yeah.”

Even sitting down, he was still much taller than she was. It was hard to meet his eye. Hard to say what she needed to say. He didn’t know it, but he wasn’t going to like it.

“You don’t look okay. What’s up?”

Then, a gentle hand on her face, urging her to turn her gaze upward. She met his eyes. They were kind, but not without his characteristic intensity. A strange pit formed in her stomach. She had to power through this.

---

This wasn’t good.

Something had really rattled Erika that night, and Ty was completely at a loss as to what it was. He’d appeared to mend things as far as them seeing each other and talking again, but it was clearly still an issue. What had happened? He’d respected her boundaries; she made it clear she wasn’t uncomfortable with anything he did. It couldn’t have been that. Had something happened to her in the past that made getting close to people so difficult?

I fucking hope not.

That wasn’t exactly unlikely, though the thought of what may or may not have occurred brought about dark thoughts he had a hard time suppressing. Who would harm someone like her? Who even could? She was so kind.

Better than me.

No, he couldn’t just run possibilities through his mind. It wasn’t productive, and he knew he’d only think the worst. He just had to wait for her to feel like she could say something, and then he’d know. If she felt she could say something. He kept his mouth shut and waited for her to reply. What came out of her mouth was barely a whisper.

“I. I want to tell you what it is but it’s hard for me to get the words out. It’s like, I know what to say. I literally have the words in my mind, they just won’t come out.”

He nodded, even though that was hard for him to imagine. Most of the time he just spat out whatever he was thinking without much care as to what people thought. He thought she did that most of the time as well, it was part of the reason they got along. Even if they didn’t agree on everything, they had bonded on the feeling that they were always the people in a room to speak what they thought were uncomfortable truths.

What could be so difficult? I know you’re a bit guarded but this is something else.

No, but she cared what he thought. It was different for the two of them. That must have been why. She needed reassurance, maybe something to relate to. Something that let her knew they were on the same page.

“I can’t say I know what that’s like. Are you worried I’m going to react badly to something?”

Erika glanced to her side, and then nodded. Ty took a moment to formulate his reply, trying his best to wear his heart on his sleeve. It was never easy.

“You know, I’m more honest with you than anyone I’ve ever met. More honest with you than I think I am to myself, actually. I don’t think there’s much you could say that would really upset me that badly.”

He looked down, nervously clasping his hands. There was a shaky quality to his voice. Erika looked skeptical. It wasn’t that she doubted his sincerity; it was almost as if she was upset he could be so mistaken.

“Why? What’s so special about me?”

A lot.

“Look Erika, I’m probably not a very good person. In fact just off my track record, I’m kind of a shitty human being-”

Erika was about to speak up, but Ty held out a hand. There was more to this. She had to hear it.

“-at least, most of the time. Not on purpose. I run on instinct, ‘cause it’s usually right. I get through every day on whatever emotion happens to be strongest in my mind at the time; because that’s the only way I can. If I don’t do that I end up in a really dark place. If I didn’t have my impulses, my random manic drives-”

Ty paused, briefly preoccupied with the scars on his arms.

“-I don’t think I’d make it past twenty. So I can’t spend a lot of time thinking about other people’s feelings because everything’s just like, feeding that instinct. Whatever seems like something I want to do, I do. I’ll see something that looks like it’d be fun to break, or I’ll think of something clever or biting to say, and I just go for it. I’ll only really realize feeding my instincts might not something people are okay with well after I’ve thought through how I’m going to do it. Sometimes I figure that out too late.”

They both knew what he was referring to there, as Erika’s eyes briefly fell to at the faint discolouration on his side.

“Maybe I can think about it, and figure out why someone feels something. It’s not like I don’t know why people act the way they do. There’s a rationale behind most emotions, I get that. I don’t have a hard time figuring out how to say something so that someone reacts the way I want them to, like you’re having trouble with doing now.”

It might’ve sounded like an accusation, but she seemed to know that he wasn’t bothered by it.

“If I have to force myself to just tailor everything I say to the situation, I will. Most of the time it’s the only way to deal with people. It’s gotten really easy to do at this point, because I’ve been doing it for years. Growing up with my Dad, everything I had to say and do was calculated so that I didn’t say the wrong thing. I’d do everything I could just to avoid setting him off. That could get me hurt.”

Erika looked up at Ty, and locked eyes with him. Something struck a chord with her. He noticed this, and continued after that brief moment.

“I have a bad habit of hurting people. Like, it really is a habit. I just don’t think about it. Sometimes it’s miscalculation, sometimes I just feel like I don’t know what I even did. I’ll say something and people will tell me I should feel bad about it, but like – why? Whatever I said was probably true. I only question my impulses when it doesn’t seem like I should handle the consequences. Even then it feels like something I did, like I didn’t do a good enough job at turning a given situation to my benefit. I think, ‘It must be my fault.’”

It was hard to look into Erika’s eyes as he told her this, though she didn’t look away from him.

“The truth is, there’s something missing. I’m sure that something is broken up here.” Ty tapped the side of his head.

“I think I’ve spent so much time doing this I don’t know what I even am anymore. Any time something seems real, I just… There’s this voice in my head. It’s distant. It tells me that I don’t need to feel, that I’m not beholden to the things that make me helpless and weak. So I just… don’t.”

His voice softened, and wavered slightly.

“I’ve done it for so long I’m wasn’t sure I could let myself feel anything real, anything that’s not just a game to satisfy one drive or another. I feel like the voice is really me, it’s what I am. Everything else is just some illusion, some act. That’s why I don’t think I’m a very good person for it. I know I should care, but I wouldn’t know where to begin. It’s too hard to see outside of myself.”

Erika took Ty’s hands into her own, and spoke up.

“I know.”

How could you?

“I know what it’s like to hold things back. But it doesn’t make you a bad person! It doesn’t mean you can’t feel. You’re just so used to cutting off that part of yourself, like for self defense. To survive. You’re doing it even though you don’t want to. Ty, you’ll find your way out of it. You need time to heal. You’ll find little things that you’re okay with, and you let those little things affect you. If you can do that…”

Ty squeezed her hand gently, then let go.

“Erika, that’s where you come in.”

Once again, she found herself at a loss for words.

“I wasn’t sure at first. We were just smoking weed and hanging out. Good frens, right? Then, I dunno. At some point I stopped trying to figure you out. Stopped lying. It’s not hard to like you. You’re kind, and I don’t have a hard time believing it comes from a good place. You know, I started to talk about myself more than I thought I could. Things that I’d never really told anyone. Then it was hard to stop thinking about you. It scared me. I tried to stop. I wanted things to stay like I wanted them. My own plans were the most important. I couldn’t let that change. When I thought I was going to just sort of fall apart, to lose my shit – I didn’t do that, either. I was more okay with it than I thought. It’s weird. I wasn’t sure what to think, but then I guess, I just worked it out in my head.”

He offered a reluctant smile.

“If I couldn’t figure things out, maybe you could. Maybe I didn’t have to be a slave to my impulses, if someone else knew the right way.”

As he was talking, he saw Erika place a photo in front of her. It was a young boy, no older than twelve. He looked miserable, but otherwise a whole lot like Erika. A brother? Erika didn’t have a brother, did she?

That’s new.

Unable to continue, his mind raced. Had she lost one too? Was that it? She couldn’t be close to him because he brought up bad memories? No, that didn’t make any sense. Why wouldn’t she want to talk to him about it? If anyone knew what her experience was like, he did. What had happened to that kid that was so terrible she couldn’t bear to bring it up to him?

“Ty, I’m leaving after school’s done. Leaving the country.”

---

It was all she could manage to get out. Maybe it was all that she felt she was able to say. He must’ve felt that opening up to her would’ve made her more comfortable with talking to him, but when he started talking about what she’d done for him, just by – what, being herself? She choked. Ty really had fallen for her. There was no good way to do this. There was no way she could let him down easy. Maybe he’d just have to cut her off, too. Of course he would. It would be too hard to face that. He’d probably never think he was going to be loved by anyone.

I’m such a piece of shit.

The wind had been completely taken out of his sails. He wore a wide-eyed look, somewhere between panic and heartbreak. Blinking more than normal. She could see the gears turning in his head, see that he was struggling to keep his composure. Though he’d seen the picture, he clearly had no idea who it was or what it meant. Maybe that was for the best. Maybe if she just framed it like this, it would be easier to break this off. It never should have started.

God, how could you be such an idiot?

After an uncomfortably long pause, he spoke again. “…why?”

“Ty, I… I just have to. The program I want to do is out there. Berlin’s a really cool city, it’s more up my alley in terms of like, activism and the culture. I just have to get out of here. You really think I fit in here?”

Another uncomfortable pause.

“Okay. I’m not sure what to say.”

“Look, I just don’t want to lead you on.”

You already did, you fuck.

“Erika, I...” Darting from side to side, he seemed to find it hard to look directly at her. She’d never seen him like this. The kind of person who always had something to say, who never shied away from speaking his mind, was unable to put a coherent sentence together. He was falling apart in front of her, and it was entirely her fault.

“I’m sorry. I really am, I shouldn’t have-“

Tyrell interrupted her, though he sounded defeated more than anything else.

“Shouldn’t have spent hours and hours talking to me every other night on the phone, trying so hard to convince me that people were worth saving, that the world looked better if you tried to be hopeful about the future? Gone completely out of your way to ingratiate yourself with me, the guy who’s probably going in the yearbook as “most likely to be dead before thirty”?”

At this point, he almost seemed like he was trying to work this out as he was talking. Trying to figure out why this had all happened. Erika tensed, her shoulders rigid as she found it difficult to interrupt him. Speaking the truth was an impossible task. It was agonizing to keep making this worse for him.

You fucked up the moment you invited him over.

“You didn’t let me be an asshole. You saw right through everything I tried to do. Made me consider for the first time whether or not I was really as fucking wonderful as I thought I was. You showed me I was missing something, something important. You went through all of that effort for… what? To get a test run of a relationship because hey, it’s not like it matters or anything. It’s not like anything you do here matters if you’re just fucking off in a few months, anyways? God-damn, and I was worried I was a heartless bastard-”

Erika raised her hand, almost as if to ask a question, before slamming it down loudly on the coffee table, right next to the photograph. It silenced him. She picked it up, holding it in front of Tyrell. Flipping it around to the back side, it read:

Phillip Erich Stieglitz, 2012, Berlin.

“This! This was my name. This was me, six years ago. This is why I am leaving! Do you get it?!” It was hard not to shout at him. Why did she have to do this? Why did she have to be special to him? She wasn’t special. She shouldn’t be special to anyone. Just another burnout granola girl who’d live alone in a tiny house somewhere. That was all she wanted.

That was the whole fucking point.

For the second time, Tyrell was at a loss for words. His anger seemed to defuse, at least. It gave way to confusion. She hoped she didn’t have to spell it out for him, but she started to anyways.

“I was born a boy but I couldn’t live as one.” She spoke matter-of-factly, but quickly. It was the only way to get the words out; words she’d never spoken before to anyone her age.

“I got that.” Nevertheless, he still sounded confused.

“So now you know why I have to keep people at a distance. Everyone.”

“Yeah, no shit.”

“A lot of transgender people aren’t open about it. They call their old names their ‘dead’ names. Like it’s got to be erased, like years of your life just never happened. I don’t wanna do that. I’m love who I am, I don’t want to hide it. I’m a girl, but I’m a transgirl too. I can’t be that here in the South. Like, you had to be careful with everything you say because your father is a monster. I have to do that, still because if people knew the truth… well, people like me get killed a whole heck of a lot. There are a lot of monsters out there.”

Okay. I did it. I’m doing it. Jesus fucking christ holy shit, I’m actually going through with this.

Ty answered slowly, as if he had just woken up and was trying to make sure what he was saying made sense.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t expect that at all. Not that I'm upset, it's just... this is a lot to take in. It’s fucked up. For you, I mean, that you have to keep it hidden. I can’t imagine why anyone would want to hurt you if they had ever met you. I suppose that’s it though, people like that don’t really care about who you are, just what they think you are. I’ve been called a faggot more times than I can count and I don’t even like-”

Tyrell stopped, suddenly aware of what he was saying. Erika frowned, but nodded sadly in agreement.

“You don’t like guys. I know, you’ve told me how you’re not serious when you joke around about it with like, Lorenzo or whoever. I know you’ve been with a few girls before.”

His eyes searched around the room. Ty did this when he was nervous and trying to think of what to say. It was cute.

You don’t deserve this, Tyrell. I’m so fucking sorry.

“I… no, I don’t. I dunno what to say, but I don’t think it changes what I thought before. At least, I’m pretty sure.”

Stop. Stop trying to salvage this.

“You’re not attracted to dudes. You don’t fuck dudes. You don’t like dick. Like, those are facts, Tyrell. So I couldn’t let things go further, because that’s just not what you’re into. I didn’t want to upset you. I was afraid of what might happen. That’s why I pushed you away.”

Erika couldn’t help but put words in his mouth. It was probably true, and the faster they got through this the better. It hurt too much to see him like this, to see him try and justify what he’d already decided on. He needed to know that she agreed with the choice to stop seeing her, he had to.

She didn't at all expect what she heard next, and it threw her train of thought completely off the rails.

“...but you’re not a guy.”
1/2
Shiola

Post by Shiola »

2/2
What a mindfuck.

After all of the contingencies he’d thought up in his mind for various ways this situation could have gone, and this hadn’t even been in the periphery. Even as Erika told him what she was, and showed him a picture of herself as Philip – it was hard to see. It unsettled him that he was now looking at her for some sign, some evidence that he might’ve missed. It didn’t feel right, somehow. Nothing about this felt right.

Did anyone else know?

Other than her height? Nothing really stood out. She was just as attractive to him as she was before. It wasn’t like her body looked any different to him now that he knew. Her height was a turn-on to him if nothing else, and she had a really lovely figure. It didn’t seem like she was missing out on anything in regards to looking outwardly like a girl.

My dick didn’t seem to mind when I didn’t know about this.

It was one of those thoughts that made Ty want to hurt himself, because it felt beneath him. She was too decent a person to so callously objectify. That wasn’t right, not for her. Maybe it was his impulse, but where she was concerned, that wasn’t to be his only motivation. It couldn’t be. She was different.

Is she ever.

Yet he had to face that. Ty wasn’t sure how he’d have reacted if they had kept going. It was confusing. It was apparent he was attracted to her. If she didn’t want him to see her naked, clearly she hadn’t gotten a surgery or something. Could he still be close to someone who was like that? Would he even be able to?

There hadn’t been a point when he’d felt much of a response in his body to an attractive man. The idea didn’t scare him. It just never occurred to him. She wasn’t a man in any way that seemed to matter outwardly. At no point did it seem right to say “he” in his mind. Using that pronoun for Erika felt uncomfortable. It didn’t fit. Of course it didn’t.

How much were a person’s genitals really part of what he was attracted to?

Obviously a lot.

It was contextual though, wasn’t it? If it was her he saw, if it was her that he felt comfortable around, did it matter?

I don’t know. How could I know?

She was afraid of him. She was afraid he would hurt her. Certainly he was capable of it. It wasn’t hard for anyone to imagine Ty being violent, he figured. Instinct had made him a violent person out of necessity. It wasn’t a bad thing for people to fear him. Usually it meant he got what he wanted.

This person doesn’t deserve to live in fear. I didn’t, neither should she.

No. It wasn’t a good thing at all. It couldn’t be. He didn’t want to be that to her. It didn’t take long to resolve in his mind what he’d do next. If he still found it painful to imagine her in pain, then there wasn’t really any two ways about it. That didn’t happen with anyone else, not now.

There wasn’t anyone since Elliott he’d ever allowed himself to be so emotionally invested in. So she couldn’t be any different to him than she was before. She had to matter. It had to be more important than he’d realized before. As the resolution crystalized in his mind, he interrupted her blunt statements about his sexuality.

“You’re not a guy.” He repeated himself, as the first time he said it she was completely dumbfounded and couldn’t muster a reply.

“Wh.. what?”

Her eyes became glassy with tears. It hurt to see her this way. He had to continue, she had to know things were going to be alright. This had to stop.

“You’re not. You’re a girl. You might know me better than most but you’ve got me wrong there. I have eyes. You’ve seen yourself lately, right? I don’t know if it matters what’s between your legs. I don’t know. I do know it’s a girl that I can’t keep outta my fuckin’ head no matter how much the shitty, dead part of me wants to kick her out. That hasn’t changed.”

Ty searched for the words. She’d gone through all of this, and still managed to feel things freely. Still looked at the world and let herself feel for it. Even if it was painful to do so, even if her personal causes seemed hopeless. He couldn’t imagine doing that, couldn’t imagine seeing that far outside of himself.

She’s better than I could hope to be.

“Erika, you actually care. About like, everything. I can’t… I don’t know how you do it. You pick bugs and snails off sidewalks because you don’t want people to crush them. You’re helpful and decent to people and it’s not a game to you. You have a chart for your fucking - carbon footprint, or whatever! Then there was that time we found that snake in my garage and you just caught it and turned it loose outside, and you knew how because you’d done it before. Anyone else would’ve wanted to kill the fucker, but you were just worried it was scared. A snake! What kind of person thinks like that?”

She stayed silent, but tears streamed down her face.

Shit. What did I do wrong? No, there’s got to be something I can say.

Ty kept on, desperately trying to make her feel better. Why was she so upset? Anything he could say to make her not feel this way, he would. As long as it was true.

“You’re the only person I know that I’m totally certain is a good human being. You love things just because, like ‘why not’? I never really questioned it, because it’s so much a part of who you are. You don’t put up with my bullshit, and I don’t have to lie to you. I’m not going to give up on that because you’re not-”

“Not actually a girl.”

“For fucks sakes Erika! Did you hear what I-”

She’s upset. Don’t.

Ty forced himself to calm down, noticing with some alarm that he was even less in control of his emotions than he could have expected. It just hurt to see her this way. It was a hurt he couldn’t bury.

“I’m sorry, I just don’t want you to be upset. And that’s not what I think, okay? Please don’t tell me what I think. I don’t know what I said that’s made you feel like this, I’m sorry.”

“No, no. You didn’t say anything wrong.”

“Then I don’t understand.”

She put her hand over her mouth, trying to slow down her breathing. This wasn’t easy for her, and Ty felt helpless watching her drag herself through it. After a few moments, she regained her composure.

“My ‘rents didn’t want to lose their kid. They made a big show of being accepting, of getting me through transition as well as they could. Probably broke a few laws, but ‘fuck tha po-lice’, little thirteen year old kids shouldn’t want to kill themselves, right?. But I always second guess if they really think I’m their daughter or if they were just desperate. I just figured best case, people would just throw me a bone and play along. But like, not really believe it deep down.”

Choking back tears, she only barely managed to get out the next few words.

“And you just did. Just like that.”

“…oh.”

Erika began to sob, and Ty gently picked up the little coffee table off the floor and out of the way. Maybe there wasn’t really the right combination of words for this. She didn’t pull away from him as he sat next to her. The moment he put an arm around her shoulders, she leaned into his chest and hugged him tightly.

The feeling of wet tears on his skin was jarring, but he still held her. This was where he needed to be right now. Whatever he was to her, right now it must have been something good.

---

A thunderstorm had rolled in by the time they’d gotten up from the floor. It was a pretty bad one, and so they’d turned the lights off in the bedroom and sat in the nook in the window. Ty was a bit tall for the two of them to sit across from one another, so Erika sat between his legs, leaning into his arms.

The rain pounded on the glass, creating pleasant white noise. Storms always calmed Erika down. Something about being inside amidst the overwhelming force of nature was decidedly comfy. That, and the person she was lying on top of. Whatever else was going on, moments like these brought more than a semblance of peace to her thoughts.

Ty had surprised her. She had definitely underestimated him, and his feelings for her. It was a bit scary at first, though the more he’d said the more she understood.
It made her think about what she had seen in him in the first place.

There’s someone decent in there.

There was no doubt he was a difficult person to be around, for most people. All he’d so bluntly told of himself painted a pretty nasty picture of a human being. Someone who’d been so calloused to pain and hardship he had no choice but to see the world the way he did. It was the only way to survive what he had, at least as far as she could see.

It wasn’t like it had to be that way, though. Not anymore. School was almost done, and he’d be free of this town and everything that made him that way. He was just another confused teenager like her, despite the persona he’d cultivated. Leaving would no doubt do him a lot of good. He could start fresh, find someplace where he could just feel freely. Somewhere he could find happiness that didn’t have a fine print.

That sure would be nice.

It was hard to admit to herself, but this turn of events had made her question, if only for a moment, what she was about to do. She knew she wanted him, as a friend and much more. They at least had the summer, but then what?

Maybe that doesn’t matter right now.

Ty idly played with the last dreadlock she still had, and the various beads and charms that hung on her braids. His other hand was resting across her stomach, raising goosebumps every time he moved.

Does he really still find me attractive? Even now?

Erika took a deep breath, trying to compose herself again. Sitting in the window had been Ty’s idea, and turning off the lights. He seemed to have a strangely accurate insight into the things that calmed her down.

Knew that she was someone for who quiet music and time spent watching a storm could do a world of good. It was strange that she could go from absolute panic to such a concrete feeling of safety in such a short time.

How the hell did this happen?

Whatever she felt about him, it overwhelmed her. Made the space between the two of them seem to tingle.

It was weird. There were a lot of things she wouldn’t see as exactly desirable to begin with. Ty was reckless and idealistic, even for an eighteen year old boy. Couldn’t stand people he saw as fake, which was mostly everyone he met. Called people his age “kids.” Somehow abhorred dishonesty while simultaneously admitting to viewing every one of his own social interactions as extremely artificial. She believed that he really did want to kill his father and only hadn’t because living was clearly punishment enough for the man. All in all, the guy had enough baggage to fill a passenger jet.

It wasn’t hard to see the good, though. Ty couldn’t stand to see the strong preying on the weak, and didn’t suffer fools gladly. Had a pretty kickass taste in music, and a decent singing voice to boot. The one time she saw him cook, he seemed playful and relaxed. Just happy to be doing something simple and positive. It was the only time she saw him like that. Clearly he was level headed enough to take her coming out in stride, at least as much as he was able. He knew his own faults, and owned them.

And it was really, really hard to ignore how gosh-darn attractive he was.

I don’t need to justify this to myself. Stop it. Don’t need a laundry list of justifications. I don’t have to ignore my feels right now. Everything’s okay. Alright? Everything really is okay. Calm down.

She couldn’t help but ask.

“So now what?”

He kept playing with her hair, but she could feel his chest rise as he thought of an answer.

“For us? I’m not sure. That depends on you, I guess.”

“I think… we both want the same thing.”

“Do we?”

“Yeah. You said all these things about how you can be yourself around me. I guess I’m kinda more ‘me’ around you than most people, now. I feel safe. Which is weird as hell, I like don’t relax around anybody. So I wanna get to know that person you want to be.” She wrapped her hand around his. “I’m sure I really like what I know already. A lot.”

It sounded like Ty was about to say something, but stopped himself. She looked at his reflection in the glass of the window pane.

“You’re cute as heck when you don’t know what to say.” He smiled in response, and kissed the top of her head. She couldn’t help but knead into his chest as he did so. “You sure this doesn’t change anything for you? Like-“

“-I don’t know.” He cut her off, and sighed. Not exasperated, but she could tell he was trying to be careful with his words. She wished that he didn’t, but it was probably better than if he’d done the opposite. “I’m not sure what to expect far as my body is concerned. It’s not exactly familiar territory. I mean, it is technically I guess but, well… You know what I mean. I’ve never thought about it before. I never had any reason to. Don’t see any reason why we shouldn’t… at least see how things go. I’m not like, insecure about it or anything. I just don’t wanna say one thing and do another.”

He was stumbling over his words, but it was sincere. Thoughts she hadn’t normally given the time of day came bubbling to the surface as he spoke.

“Y’know, it’s not like I have any experience, myself. This is all new to me, too.”

“Hmm. I guess we’ll figure things out together, then?”

“That’s one way to put it.”

---

The storm had carried on, and as they spoke it became increasingly less likely Tyrell was going anywhere. The rain refused to let up, and they weren’t exactly distressed by this fact. Erika noticed him send off a quick text to his mother, though she knew it was less him asking for permission and more him simply letting her know what his plans were. After a few words with her own rather surprised mother, she returned upstairs to let him know he could stay the night (and spared Ty her mother’s message that she was armed.)

When she returned, he was still sitting by the window. She could tell he had been thinking this all through. Much as he’d been very blunt in his acceptance, this still couldn’t have been easy. The word “mindfuck” had been thrown around a few times.

It was too dark for her to take a picture of him, but she really wanted to. The faint light fell on his body in a way that made the whole scene look like a painting. One she’d want to hang on the wall next to all of her photos, scribbled poems and fantasies.

A shame that he’d stood up a few moments after she’d had a chance to document his pose somehow, but they quickly found themselves preoccupied with each other, their clothes falling to the floor in a disorganized pile. What reticence she had about being fully naked next to him was startlingly absent now, though her nerves were running haywire. She could hardly keep her hands still.

This is happening. It's okay. He knows me. I know him. It's safe.

Much as he was passion and impulse, he was patient too. After a few awkward moments, they found themselves in Erika’s bed, which was far too small for the both of them. Whatever had gone on in Tyrell’s head between the time she’d left and returned; he now displayed no fear or reluctance, only curiosity. She was naked with someone for the first time, but she couldn’t help but get the impression he was going through something similar. She knew it wasn’t his “first time” but he didn’t act like this was just some hookup. There was no frenetic energy, no rush. When he looked into her eyes, she could tell he was just as lost in the moment as she was.

They spent some time together like that, exploring each others’ bodies and taking in the strange and sudden shift in circumstance that neither of them had really expected. They didn’t have sex, though mostly for practical concerns than anything else. It didn’t feel like a problem, though. They learned enough in that time they spent together to know that it didn’t have to be an issue for the two of them.

---

Lying comfortably in Ty’s arms, a thought occurred to Erika that she hadn’t at all considered before. The feeling of butterflies in her stomach seemed to erupt as she blurted out what she was thinking. It was a night of firsts, and this was probably her only real shot at this.

“Tyrell Lahti, will you… go to Prom with me?”

She worried he’d fallen asleep, but he stirred and offered a characteristically sarcastic response.

“You know Erika, finding out you have a dick was one thing, but you think you can put me in a suit? That might just be too much.”

There was a moment of silence before they both burst out laughing. It didn't offend her; if anything she'd been itching for a chance to actually laugh at how absurd it felt to be trans in the first place. She'd just never had anyone to laugh with before. That was something she'd wanted for a long, long time.

“Heh, so is that a yes?” She asked.

He adjusted himself so he wasn’t talking to the back of her head, and nodded. “That’s a real sarcastic yes, Erika. Though, I dunno what the theme is and I’m not gonna lie, a suit ain’t exactly in my budget.”

“Oh, it’s glow-in-the-dark!”

“Okay well, aside from it being a high school prom, that actually sounds kinda fun.”

He smiled, no doubt his mind immediately went to raves. It would probably seem extremely tame to him, but she was glad he wasn’t totally against the idea.

I never thought I’d go to prom. For the millionth time Erika, am I really doing this?

Her parents had already agreed to help her with putting together some kind of technicolour prom dress, and given the circumstances she was sure they would help Ty as well. They no doubt wouldn’t have expected this kind of thing to have happened at all.

Pops isn’t going to know whether to give Ty the evil eye or shake his hand and it’s going to be completely gosh-darn awkward as hell.

She replied, trying to allay his worries about the cost. “I promise this isn’t a weird flex but we can probably sort out a suit for you. I’m not breaking the bank just to pay into the obvious money pit that is high school proms. Goin’ real granola for this one.”

“You know me well enough to know that I’m already convinced. One thing though: we’re going together, right?”

“Heck yeah! I didn’t think I’d have a date. Like ever.”

“So does this mean we’re... 'together?'”

Erika fell silent. That was kind of hanging over all of this. As much as she wanted to jump into whatever “this” was feet first, she had opened with telling him about her plans to leave the country. That was still true, as much as she’d blurted it out to cover up another truth. It was hard to convince herself she wasn’t doing something even worse by letting this all happen.

No. Got to be honest. I can’t quit while I’m ahead. He deserves that.

“I’m still going to school out there. It’s the best option I have.”

“I figured. So what do you want this to be? When do you leave?”

“I don’t know… I didn’t even think we would be anything. It’ll be in October.”

“That’s a ways out. I could just come with you.”

He offered that suggestion as if it wasn’t as crazy an idea as it clearly was.

Oh fuck, what did I get myself into?

Erika blinked, unsure of where to even begin. “What? I’m not like, against it but – Ty, you don’t speak German. Or like have any interest in anything out there. I don’t even know what you planned to do afterwards. You’re throwing away-”

“-sweet fuck all. I’m sure as shit not going to Australia to pretend to care about my family some more. And like, I taught myself enough Finnish to disagree with a dude named Armo online about metal bands. On my own. You know how many cases it has? Fifteen! German has what, three? Four?”

As he spoke, she could tell that he was clearly assembling this whole plan on the fly. Much as he did most of the planning in his life. Possibilities seemed to flash in front of him without any heed paid to how he would engineer any of this. Erika found it simultaneously admirable and incredibly foolhardy.

“I have a way better resume than most people my age and I’ve brought my grades up well enough for culinary schools here. So if I can get a work visa, why not? Hell, I could just fuck around in Europe for a while until I figure it out. I can save enough through the summer.”

This is crazy. This is crazy and he’s going to do it.

“Wh… Ty that’s insane, you can’t just uproot your whole life for me.”

“What’s there to uproot?” The words left his mouth before he’d had time to really recognize what he was saying. Ty didn’t think he had much of a life. Erika wanted to disagree, but it was difficult to find the words to do so. The energy in his voice seemed to wane a bit as he spoke of what little remained for him here. “It’s not just for you, Erika. You know what’s waiting for me at home. The old man doesn’t have long left and I know Jen’s been talking to Katie. I figure my mom’s gone as soon as Bill is, and I don’t want to have to go with her. I don’t want her to be my problem anymore. I know that sounds cold it’s just… I’m so done with all of it. I need to be somewhere that’s as different from here as possible. I need this.”

“But with me? Look, this is… this is different, what’s going on with us, but you’ve got to think this through.”

“I’ve thought about how I feel about you more than I tend to think just about anything through. I don’t… my life really never seemed to have much of a future past just making it to the next year. At least, that’s what I thought up till now. That’s what everyone else seemed to think. I wanna be wrong about that. Spiteful, maybe, but I wanna prove everybody wrong about me, too.”

He lay back next to her, the two of them now both staring up at the ceiling. It was too much all at once. They knew that. They were both the kind of people to make snap decisions to start fights, dye hair, take party drugs, go on “adventures” through the woods. All without much thought to it. Big decisions like this didn’t work that way. Not without the kind of feelings usually reserved for falling off a steep ledge.

“This is a lot all at once, Ty. This scares me. I’m not saying no. I’m halfway to ‘yes’, to be real. I don’t want to leave you here; but I just want to be a stupid teenager for a little while longer though. Before the world comes along and fucks our shit up. I want you with me right now, for that. I don’t wanna ruin this by getting caught up in what’s gonna happen in a year. Can we just be stupid teenagers together?”

We both deserve that, at least.

Ty breathed in sharply, as if he was about to argue the point. Midway through he seemed to realize that what she was saying made sense, and managed to allow himself to concede the point. “You’re probably... no, you're right, you’re right about all of it. I guess I’ve just had to be an adult in a kid’s body for a while. I keep thinking too far ahead. This… whatever this is, let’s just see it through.”

She wasn’t sure what else to say, but replied by kneading into his chest.

“I’m still gonna get the little owl on my phone to start teaching me German, though.”

„Ty, du bist verrückt; ich könnte dich einfach lieben.“

He chuckled nervously. “Umm...I’m just gonna assume you said something nice.”

“I’m think you’ll figure it out.”

Her eyelids were beginning to get a bit heavy. The torrent of rain had turned into an uneven pitter-patter on the window. Before long, they had both fallen asleep.

It was clear that whatever the future held, it wouldn't be anything like what they had expected. Something about that seemed intangibly reassuring.

Return to “Before Prom”