Fancy Meeting You Here

private thread with Blizzard

Prom preparations, date-seeking, and anything else which concerns prom and takes place within a few days before the event goes here.
Buko

Fancy Meeting You Here

Post by Buko »

Beats' Beats: Too Hot to Stop - Bar-Kays
Ace Ortega was both a musician and a star athlete so it wasn't quite unexpected to see him walking the halls of George Hunter with a certain amount of swagger and bravado. Maybe it was simply that he didn't think that it was expected that made him wear confidence like an ill-fitted sweat shirt that was both too short in the middle and too long in the sleeves. Still, he was trying to act normal and somewhat like a regular degular teenage boy instead of some weirdo rap nerd and that required engaging in some regular degular schmegular adolescent endeavors.

Prom for example and you couldn't exactly do prom without a date. Not when you were rocking a varsity jacket and a full ride to U of M anyway. That would've been weirder than not going to prom at all.

He had been up until 2AM trying to pick out an outfit for school that day and yeah, it maybe said a lot that he had settled on his white sneakers but a black polo and black jeans. It looked clean but it was also pretty unoriginal and bland. Ace thought he was overthinking that but he also thought he was overthinking wearing black on black in the first place.

There was a metaphor about the all black being 'well-done' there that he had thought was real clever around 1:30 last night...

Now though he was worried he looked more like he was asking someone to go to a funeral than to prom.

Okay, a little silly, sure--but shit, it's almost the time! I can't chicken out now! Be cool! Be confident! Calm, cool, collective...

Or at least fake it till you make that shit.

He had faced Wyatt Carter head-on in practice countless times, been tackled and hit so hard his head spun in games--on the field he was always aware of the dangers. Folks got paralyzed playing football! He was still never scared. He couldn't be a wuss now. He had to step up...

You're making a mountain outta a mo--

Shit! There she is! Be cool! Be cool! Ugh! Try less!

He approached Meilin's locker with little of that previously seen confidence, waving his big mitt of a hand nervously as the other took a headphone out his ear, the funk music still blasting from it.

"Hey! Meilin! What's up!"
"My man got too familiar and I’d ended up having to whoop his ass, man, you know. Because he would step across the line. Habitually. He’s a habitual line stepper.” -Charlie Murphy
[+] Ace of Hearts
V8 Relationship Thread

Slidin'
Lookin' for the opps, they been hidin'
I grew up 'round drugs, sex, and violence
We turnt off they street, we heard sirens
Since a juvenile, I been wylin'
BlizzardeyeWonder

Post by BlizzardeyeWonder »

[Meilin Zhou- PROM 1]

What was the difference between prom and any other party? Well, other than marginally less drunk people to drive home, not much really. And that was okay! A good time is a good time. Though, prom had an air of formality around it. Yes, it required some careful consideration, and Meilin had intentionally left her options- and expectations- open. Well, the early bird catches the worm and all that- but good guys can be found in all places, even if they weren't the kind to get snatched up a week before prom. Actually, that analagy doesn't really work anymore, because catching the worm means sustenance, survival of the fittest! Or did it? Language was malleable, and a single saying could be stretched to have many different meanings. "The worm" could be good things in general. Dates to prom were a good thing. Well... the early birds were only going for certain worms. Wait, what was she supposed to be doing again?

Ah, right. Meilin pressed the notebook against the back wall of her locker and scribbled down the last sentence for that page. How that turned into musing about prom date choices, she forgot. As for the writing, whether she'd be able to read the last few words in that sentence herself is future Meilin's problem. Besides, she considered herself pretty good at the handwriting thing. You gotta be versatile, because inspiration could strike at any moment.

She brought her face out of her locker when she heard someone call her name, and what a pleasant surprise!

"Hey there, Ace!" she greeted back, with a friendly wave and a wide smile. "Just the usual- writing, studying, and prom, you know?"
[+] Meilin
Meilin Zhou (Wiki) - DEAD

>Pregame Start: life observes itself
-->Pregame Status: Waltzed out a party with her crush
>Prom Start: Fancy Meeting You Here
-->Prom Status: Taking a dance, taking on the world
>Trip Start: The Best of You
-->Trip Status: Running away from an eyeful of NSFW
>Game Start: Rise Great Undead Lord Dread
-->Game Status (FINAL): Stop hitting yourself

Aesthetics
"No sun to rise would be okay with me... Everyday, every day is okay"
[+] Camilla
Camilla Bell (Wiki) - DEAD

>Pregame Start: Who's Turn Was It, Anyway?
-->Pregame Status: Had more than her fair share of revelry
>Prom Start: Early in the Morning
-->Prom Status: Ditching the drama for blues
>Trip Start: When I'm Gone
-->Trip Status: Preemptively homesick
>Game Start: Bloom Nobly, in a Transient Life
-->Game Status (FINAL): Loved to death.

Aesthetics
"A voice in her head, a voice in her head, screaming all the words that were left unsaid"
Buko

Post by Buko »

"I feel you on that, pretty much the same for me, kinda hard to give high school focus now that it's almost over," he said his voice moving far too quickly, "I mean, I gotta still give it focus because like I don't wanna mess up and not end up graduating and what not but at the same time football is over and I already got a scholarship so I think I'm pretty safe for some slacking...still I'm paranoid, y'know? Gotta keep grinding, nose to the grindstone and all that good stuff."

Chillax Motor Mouth, you're rambling! Cut to the chase! Be direct! Manly! Confident! We talked about this!

"And yeah, getting a prom date is stressin' me out more than a little bit."

Ugh! You're so lame! That's the opposite of being direct!
"My man got too familiar and I’d ended up having to whoop his ass, man, you know. Because he would step across the line. Habitually. He’s a habitual line stepper.” -Charlie Murphy
[+] Ace of Hearts
V8 Relationship Thread

Slidin'
BlizzardeyeWonder

"Haha, I understand," said Meilin, nodding.

Of course, she couldn't neglect her own studies- astronomy is hard work- but hot damn if it wasn't tempting to leave all her paperwork/homework in the dust to just party all day and night. That's what the summer is for, though. Study hard, party hard. Seemed fair to her. Or course, her methods wouldn't work for everyone, because everybody had their own way of coping with the little things, which was wonderful!

"I guess you don't have a prom date yet, huh?" she queried further.

To be very honest, Ace was a pretty strong contender on Meilin's own list of choices, and this seemed like a pretty good time. Now with the confirmation that he was free, she just needed to make sure she wasn't stepping on the toes of any other plans.

"So... anybody in mind?"

She paused for a bit. Perhaps it was a bit intrusive, but she trusted that a small fumble would sort itself out.
[+] Meilin

Aesthetics
[+] Camilla

Aesthetics
"A voice in her head, a voice in her head, screaming all the words that were left unsaid"
Buko

Post by Buko »

Oh shit...does she know?

She totally knows.

But does she know that I know that she knows that I know that she knows.

Wait, fuck, I confused myself there. Focus Ace!

"Uh, yeah, I don't gotta date yet, am working on it..."

He drifted, he fumbled with his earbud, he looked at her and then he looked away. Did he have someone in mind? Did he have someone in mind?! What kinda question was that? There was only one answer!

You.

You.

You.

Speak damn it!

"Uh, a few ideas, well, one more than most--tryin' to figure out how to ask her out without looking like a complete tool or dweeb," he sighed, "Drawin' a who lotta blanks on that front, t.b.h."
[+] Ace of Hearts
V8 Relationship Thread

Slidin'
BlizzardeyeWonder

"Ah..." Meilin replied. "I don't have a date either, hah."

Hm. Was there was something Ace was avoiding? Perhaps something awkward to say out loud? She tilted her head a bit as her mind whirred, somewhat vacantly. Spinning its wheels, was that the word? Right, spinning its wheels but going nowhere.

Maybe just being a bit blunt would solve the problem, whatever it seemed to be. But where there were blunt things, there were bruises, so it had to be a bit cushiony. Preferably, it wouldn't be a blunt hit, attack, blow, at all. Though, would that defeat the point of bluntness? Really, what was more important here? Putting a conversation in the fast land, or handling with care?

When she put it that way, the answer was obvious.

"I'm looking at my choices, though."

If he got it, great! If he didn't, she'd be happy to elaborate!
[+] Meilin

Aesthetics
[+] Camilla

Aesthetics
Buko

Post by Buko »

"O-oh? Are you now?"

Well, duh Einstein! Of course she was looking at her options! Meilin was nice, funny, kind, smart, cute and driven--she'd have plenty of suitors and plenty of options! Of course she would be looking at them and stuff. She was too cool not too.

And what does that make me?

Wasn't that the plan? Just fake it till you make it?

Easier said than done.

"Well," he began, "Um...", he tried to begin again, "Well...", he blushed, "Y'know...", he shook his head again, "I hope that I'm one of those options."

That sounded so lame! Like he was auditioning for a part in a play or applying to a job--he had to do better than that.

"Wait, let me try again, what I'm trying to say is..."

He felt his chest tighten and then immediately loosen. He wanted to slap himself but at the same time he was in too deep now--no choice but to plow ahead.

"WouldyouliketogotothepromwithmeMeilin?"
[+] Ace of Hearts
V8 Relationship Thread

Slidin'
BlizzardeyeWonder

"Oh!"

Well perhaps all Ace needed was a slight push like that. Perhaps it wouldn't have mattered what was said, as long as she showed interest. Still, the invitation was yet another pleasant surprise. Though in hindsight, could you really call it surprising? Eh, what mattered was the feeling. Except it wasn't exactly like a pleasant surprise. Well, it was still pleasant, and that's what mattered!

With a warm smile, Meilin reached out a hand and put it on Ace's shoulder, then nodded.

"Of course! Why wouldn't I? My best choice was right in front of me, you know."

Like she thought earlier- she was happy to elaborate.
[+] Meilin

Aesthetics
[+] Camilla

Aesthetics
Buko

Post by Buko »

Beats' Beats: Outstanding - The Gap Band He felt her hand on his shoulder and he felt his chin tilt downwards to look at her, expecting rejection, however kind and obligatory it may have been.

Then she said yes.

In fact, she said that her best choice had been right in front of her. Her best choice had been him. Was she just being nice? Nah, Meilin wasn't like that--she was honest and it was the knowledge that she often said what she meant and meant what she said that filled Ace's stomach with warmth while also turning the butterflies in his stomach to hornets.

"Wow," he said nearly speechless, "Thank you! You won't regret it, we're gonna have a cool time," he babbled, "Y'know, you're my best choice as well. I didn't really have anybody else I wanted to go with. I just wanted to play it cool in case, like, you were going with someone else."

And now he was oversharing and being too honest himself. He existed on two opposite ends when it came to Meilin it seemed, he was either talking too much or barely managing to say anything at all. He didn't mind so much, as long as she didn't.

"So, uh, do you have a dress picked out?", he asked, "So, I could like, get the right color corsage and stuff."
[+] Ace of Hearts
V8 Relationship Thread

Slidin'
BlizzardeyeWonder

Meilin could only smile wider at Ace's reaction. It was cute, in a way? Mostly, it was just really nice to see him happy like this, though admittedly, it was also nice to hear she was his first choice, too.

As for the choice of dress, well-

"That I'm not sure of yet, heh," she admitted. "But you know you can count on it to be glittery!"

That got her thinking though. What should she wear to prom? She'd gotten a super cute dress for her last birthday that had only been worn like twice- wait, she got two dresses, probably. Ah, right, the one from grandma she didn't wear much. White top full of sequins, a puffy red skirt, and frills galore. It would be really neat! Though, the theme was glow in the dark, right? Maybe something a bit more neon would do. Did the one dress with the electric blue stripe thing going on still fit? She hadn't grown much in the past year, so that should be the case. Yeah, that seemed good. Buuuut sequins and frills...

"I have to think about it more, haha. If you want colours though, my choices are between red and white, and a bright blue."
[+] Meilin

Aesthetics
[+] Camilla

Aesthetics
Buko

Post by Buko »

"Well, God Bless the USA then!"

He chuckled but he figured that it wouldn't be tough to find corsages in those colors and he figured Meilin would give him more details closer they got to prom. What was there to worry about? He had just asked his crush to the prom and she had said yes. This is what songs were written about, novels inked, and wars fought over! It was time to pop champagne and celebrate--to do the damn happy dance! The music blasting in his ears and the grin on his face certainly didn't let him look subdued. He was pretty sure subdued was the last thing on his mind.

"My pops told me he's gonna rent me like, a real nice car as a reward, so I'll pick you up and we can take pictures and all that mushy gushy Prom stuff at your house if it ain't a big deal," he offered, "Or we could do it at my crib, my Ma might have a heart attack of joy if I have her take the pictures though."

Did he even care about prom pictures? What was he gonna wear himself? He didn't really care about the theme--he was his own damned theme. He wanted to look fresh, clean and original.

"Well, it's easy for dudes, I just gotta get a tux and tie, but I am thinkin' of doing something a bit outta the box," he grinned mischievously, "A kilt has been callin' me and now for some reason I'm feelin' extra confident and courageous. Thanks for that."

He laughed again.

High school wasn't so bad all the time. Moments like this made him think that he might actually miss it someday.
[+] Ace of Hearts
V8 Relationship Thread

Slidin'
BlizzardeyeWonder

Meilin blinked a few times, before chuckling along with Ace. She hadn't thought about the colour association, but yes, god bless the USA indeed. Listening to Ace's own discussion of prom plans, she nodded along, her smile as wide as ever. It was probably a physical impossibility for it to shrink at the moment.

"Yeah, my house sounds cool," she affirmed, "And a kilt? Now wouldn't that be something!"

Another chuckling fit came on, trying to imagine what Ace would look like strutting around the prom dance floor in a kilt.

"I mean, if you actually want to go for a kilt, that would... actually be something," again an affirmation. "If it makes you feel courageous, as you said, I say go for it! And the same goes for whatever you end up wanting to wear, you know."

The finishing touch was a reassuring nod.

[Meilin Zhou continued in The Glow Up]
[+] Meilin

Aesthetics
[+] Camilla

Aesthetics
Buko

Post by Buko »

"Well, when you got a cute girl like you on your arm, I think even a kilt could look pretty damn good," he grinned speaking without thinking like it was first nature to him, "At least I know nobody'll be stealin' my outfit."

He chuckled again but he realized that although he was playing with house money the longer he spoke to Meilin the higher the chance of him saying something stupid. He needed to get out quickly, bob and weave, blitzkreig, the rope-a-dope--he ran out of metaphors.

"Well, I'll pick you up at your house like a half hour before the dance starts, can't be the first folks showin' up," he grinned again, "I really can't wait. Only got one prom, gotta make it count!"

He didn't really believe in that stuff but he was a prisoner of the moment.

"Well, see you later Prom Date, hope you have a good rest of the day!"

As for Ace, he doubted anything in the world could happen to mess up his. He could probably get hit by a bus and wake up in the hospital in a full body cast with a full smile.

((Ace Continued In: Prom))
[+] Ace of Hearts
V8 Relationship Thread

Slidin'

Return to “Before Prom”