Touched for the very first time

Ladies and gentlemen, coming to the stage: Katrina Lavell

One of northeast Chattanooga's upper-class neighborhoods, Frazier's Glen boasts large, landscaped lawns and strategically-placed greenery along its streets which accentuates the feeling of being isolated from the rest of the city. The homes here are likewise large; though they are modern constructions, the exteriors of most of the houses reflect Late Victorian architectural trends, a throwback to some older areas of the city, while the interiors of many are comfortably modern. Several parks and the country club are within walking distance of the gated community.
Laurels

Touched for the very first time

Post by Laurels »

((Katrina Lavell: Pregame Start))

Katrina adjusted herself in her seat, doing vocal tones to warm up her throat. Today was Recording Day. Katrina always made sure to dedicate at least one day each week to recording new music. The lead up was a mix of songwriting, chord experimentation, vocal affects, and repeating the process over and over. Now she was ready to record.

She breathed in and out as she approached the microphone by her computer. Her dad had been really gracious to get her a microphone and recording equipment for her computer. It was a great birthday, and she had finally gotten comfortable with the programs. Now she was all set to record her next awesome song.

Katrina quickly lifted the headphones off her ears, pushing back the bow she had tied in her curled hair. This was quite a daring song she was about to record. It was the first time she was sampling another artist's work, and it was the first time she made a song that was heavy on references and metaphors. She'd probably have to keep the song off her next iTunes album and put a crap ton of disclaimers in the YouTube description. There was probably something about sampling in YouTube's Fair Use, like as a remix or something. She'd have to do her research.

She pursed her red-painted lips and pulled on her jacket, grabbing the black-and-gold print on the lapel and pulling it closer. She didn't know why she was so nervous to record a new song. No one else was in the room, and she'd still have to spend a few days editing it before uploading it. Of course, Katrina had to remind herself that everything she did was for an audience. She had to think of her fans and anyone else who may come upon her work. It was kind of nervewracking, but it was also giving her a bit of a high too.

Katrina strummed her ukulele, trying not to pull out the cable from the jack. She had double checked the tuning, but it was always good to check again. Once she felt comfortable, she moved forward and hit a button on her computer, setting the program to record.

"Okay, this is Katrina Lavell's 'Through the Wilderness,' an ode to the great poets Dante Aligheri and Madonna Louise Ciccone. Take one."

Katrina began to strum the first few chords of the song on her ukulele. Once she finished the intro, she began to sing.

((OOC: To best enjoy this, read each stanza in the same beats as the "Like a Virgin" sample))

I made it through the wilderness
Somehow I made it through
Didn't know how lost I was
Until I found you

Midway through the journey of
my life I found myself in
a forest dark, but where
should I begin?

I thought I was lost,
never to be found
But baby that's when you
came right around

You were my needed Virgil,
you were my Beatrice
Getting me through the dark
of the wilderness

Until I found you

Soon we were walking together
walking right through hell
Passing all the sinners
Liars and cheats as well

But I wasn't afraid
Of all the demonic folk
Because you held my hand,
Comforting words you spoke

He said:

"We'll reach paradise,
our eternal bliss
Once we pass through
this dark abyss"

Until I found you

We climbed the devil's back
Then up the great mountain too
Fighting all sorts of challenges
Just to reach that view

The view from paradise
Our heavenly bliss
When we reached the top
That's when we kissed

It was a long walk,
a life such as this
but I was glad you led
me through the wilderness

Until I found you

Ooooooooooh

Until I found you

Ooooooooooh
Ooooooooooh
Ooooooooooh
Ooooooooooh

Katrina let out a long exhale as she finished the take. It was such a strange song. She was listening to some Madonna as she was researching Madonna fashion online and found herself drawn to "Like a Virgin." Somehow, the stanza of making it "through the wilderness" reminded her of the first Canto of Dante's The Divine Comedy, which she studied back in freshman year. Just like that, an idea for a love song came to mind, and here she was, fulfilling that crazy idea.

Katrina's face was a bit flushed as she finished. She smirked to herself as she adjusted her position in her seat.

"Okay, take two," she said.

She began to strum the first chords of the song again. Typically, Katrina recorded at least ten takes of a song before she decided on the best one. She'd just have to make each one better than the last.

((Katrina Lavell continued in Let's Get Physical))

Return to “The Gated Community”