Empathies and Desperation.

A large mountain range covers the far northern portion of the island, although most of the range is too dangerous to traverse. A small and secluded ranch has been built into the lower portion of the mountains, and the old ranch house, horse stables, and antiquated barn all beg for a fresh coat of red.
Nealosi†

Empathies and Desperation.

Post by Nealosi† »

No. Why?! I won't do it. I can't. I can't let anyone else do this.

Jackie clenched his fist around his bag. His pretty face was flush. How could this happen? He couldn't just let people die. He had felt like fainting as splattering blood and gore filled the plane full of Hobbsborough students. When he came to again, Jackie hurled anything he'd eaten in the last three days into the bushes. This was insane.

Why?! Dammit Why?!

Not caring to look into his bag Jackie looked around himself. His eyes were narrowed and fierce; he wanted to hurt the people responsible for this. This was unreal. People were going to die.

Jackie had never seen anyone die before. His anger was suddenly lost on him as he felt a deep despairing ball of sadness and guilt form in his gut. He fell to his knees scrapping his leg on a sharp stone. He didn't even look to see if it was bleeding. A lone tear ran down his cheek. More tears followed them.

"I don't believe this," Jackie whispered through his tears. "I don't believe this..."

I have to help. Somehow, I have to help everyone get out of here.

Jackie stood up again. He chocked back the uncomfortable feeling in his throat; he straightened himself and sniffed away his tears. He held his bag in his hand and finally took note of his surroundings. The Island would have been beautiful had Jackie not known what has going to happen here. It was warm, humid and the nurturing morning sun was shiny down the back of his neck. The green grass was laden with dew and splashed the cuffs of his tight blue jeans. There was a small rustic barn in the distance. Jackie would make his way there and find out what to do when he got there. For now he just focused all his energies on staying calm and putting one foot it front of the other.

From the stables came the sound of weeping. Jackie increased his pace. His eyes were still red and burning. He broke into a jog and rounded the corner of the stable, and there, on a pile of hay in an abandoned horse stall sat Gail Smith.

Gail didn't cry when the Bathurst principal killed the first student was killed. She didn't do anything. Her pupils dilated and her hands began to sweat. Other than a slight tremble her body was entirely motionless. She was stiff as a board. When didn't hear or se anything. When the two teachers' collars exploded, Gail wasn't even there. She was nowhere. She was in a deep, blank, colourless plane of nothingness.

When she awoke again in the rustic wooden barn it all hit her. She couldn't do anything but cry. She crawled into the stall as soundless sobs escaped her. Tears streamed down her face as she began to weep, and whisper.

"Mom. Dad. I'm sorry..."

Gail had nothing to be sorry for, but she wouldn't believe it at that time. Recently she had disobeyed her father's orders and gone to a party, nothing had happened. She didn't drink or meet any bad boys, but her father had told her not to go. It was all her fault that this had happened...

Her bag down at her feet and her white turtle-neck covered in tears. She sat and cried.

Jackie rounded the corner and sprinted over to Gail Smith, he didn't know her, but she was a thin little thing, and the palest thing he'd ever seen. She looked like a delicate porcelain ballerina in her white shirt and her white pants. He stopped moving as he got closer. She clearly didn't realize he was there. As calmly and quietly as he could, he spoke to the young girl.

"Hey, I'm not going to hurt you," Jackie reached out with his free hand. His voice trembled slightly. "What's your name?"

Gail looked up. The world can into focus, she was in a barn. There was a boy here. He reached out his hand. He spoke quietly and calming. Gail cowered as he reached out. She looked up into his eyes and say that he had been crying too.

He'd been crying too? But he's a boy?

Gail removed her head from her knees. "I'm Gail," her voice quivered.

He retracted his hand and moved to sit next to her. "Hi, Gail," Jackie swallowed and tried his best to stay calm. "I'm Jackie. Are you ok?"

Gail nodded slightly as Jackie sat down in the stall right next to her. She curled up away from him, but allowed him to sit. He sat next to her as she cried; after a time a reached out and held her hand. He comforted her and tried to calm her down. Things were bad, but they had to get through this.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Nealosi. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Megami†

Post by Megami† »

((Continued from: The Sun Rises in the East...))

How long had Ricky Callahan been running now?  He'd been on the move since moments after awakening on the cliff on the easternmost part of the island.  From the cliff, he'd pushed into the wilderness, eventually crossing atop a dam that blockaded the flow of the ocean water into the island river and, it could be assumed, purified the river water as well.  From there, he'd simply continued to run.  He'd ran and ran and had eventually ended up at the northernmost part of the map -- a desolate little ranch house buried within the mountain range.

Ricky's run slowed to a jog and light pants escaped his lips as he approached the seemingly vacant sanctuary.  All the way here, he hadn't encountered a single soul, and that fact alone worried him.  He knew that somewhere out there a shotgun-wielding maniac was on the hunt... or perhaps the shotgun-wielder had simply been defending himself from an even more menacing foe?

God dammit, man...

Ricky's jog inevitably dissolved into a meandering walk as he continued to approach the sole edifice on the side of the mountain.  He couldn't help but think to himself that this place was the perfect refuge.  It was hidden away so well that it was probably unnoticable to anyone who wasn't airborne, and surely they hadn't given any of the competition hanggliders or jet packs or anything crazy like that, right?

Ricky immediately chastised himself.  He shouldn't be thinking of the other students on this island as competition.  That's what they wanted him to do.  They wanted him to buy into the program and play the game, and thinking of his fellow prisoners -- that's what they were -- as competition was the first step in doing that.  Instinctively, the hispanic boy reached up and touched the blood-red metal encircling his neck.  The collar was a symbol... a symbol of their inprisonment.

Forcing himself from his internal reverie, Ricky inspected his surrounding, half hoping to find some sort of life, half frightened of what he might encounter.  His throat quivered slightly as he exhaled.  Fighting back thoughts of an axe-murderer popping out from behind the corner, Ricky meaningfully continued his paces through the yard of the mountain retreat.  Aside from the chirping of some of the earlier-waking birds, all was quiet.  The silence was almost chilling.

"... Hello?" Ricky called out tentatively, instinctively bracing himself for impact as he did so, just in case some crazy axe-murderer did jump out of the bushes, "Hello?  Is anybody out there?"

Silence.

Ricky wiped a shaky fist across his lips, his deep brown eyes continuing to scan the vicinity for any form of life.  He passed by the open barn door slowly, searching in vain for something that wasn't there, and that was when he heard it: the muffled sobs of a female voice emitting from within the confides of the barn.  Someone else had already called dibs on this fortress, it seemed.

"Hello?" Ricky once again called, although this time much softer, "I know you're here."

He didn't want to intrude, that much was for certain.  In a situation such as this one, you didn't want to step on the wrong toes.  For all he knew the sobbing girl could just be laying a clever trap to lure him to his death.  She could easily lash out and stab him to death with some unthinkable weapon the second he entered the sanctity of the barn.

No.  The game might have already started, but most of these people were good people.  They were sane people who were just scared... scared for their lives.  Ricky was, that much was for certain.  If his incling was correct, this girl was just frightened as well.  The fact that the sobbing girl might have a companion never once crossed Ricky's mind.  Slowly, he stode into the barn, his eyes darting around to find the source of the crying.

"I can hear you crying," he stated gently, "I didn't come here to hurt you, I promise... the only weapon I have is a slingshot.  I'm not playing.  I'm... I'm looking for someone."

That's real smart, Ricky.  Tell her your weapon so she can drop the facade she's probably putting on and blow your ass to Kingdom Come with a shotgun or something.  What if this girl is the shotgunner you heard in the woods?  Ever stop to think about that, you idiot?  You might've just signed your death sentence.

"I... I know you're scared," Ricky called out once again, "Everyone's scared.  Nobody has to play this game.  Together... together we can beat it.  I know we can.  I'm looking for allies.  I want to form a team... gather everyone up and take Danya on... together."

A new resolve alit in the hispanic boy's dark eyes as he stated his intentions -- his true intentions.  No more being a pawn to other people's thoughts and opinions.  Ricky might not have much longer to live, but the short time he did have, he was going to do things right.  This was a start.  This was the right thing to do.  He would form a team and he would do what the contestants of the first Survival of the Fittest couldn't... he would take Mr. Danya down.  Of this, he had faith.

"...Please," Ricky uttered, his eyes now fixated on the location from which he was certain the sobs were coming.  He didn't dare press forward any further for fear of startling whoever occupied the barn along with him.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Megami. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Nealosi†

Post by Nealosi† »

Jackie didn't hear the voice at first; neither did Gail for that matter. Huddled in the corner together, Jackie held Gail's hand as she sobbed and shook lightly. Gail had stopped sobbing once or twice to answer a few of Jackie's questions. He now knew she was from Bathurst, and that she liked to dance, beyond that he had no idea who this girl was. All he knew was that she was just as frightened as he was. That was reason enough to comfort her and hold her hand. The second call came a little quieter, Jackie could have sworn he heard something, but he couldn't tell. He lifted his head to listen. Gail remained curled into a ball crying. When the third call came around Jackie and Gail both heard.

Scrambling for his bag, Jackie didn't listen to the words, merely the voice; masculine and unfamiliar. While waiting with Gail he had time to contemplate, which had only worried him further. The next string of words came while Jackie struggled to dig up his bag from a pile of hay. He still wasn't listening, but apparently Gail was.

"Hey, Jackie," her voice came as a smallish whimper. She had stopped sobbing for the first time since he had found her. "He's scared. Just like us..."

He looked up to listen again.

"...Please,"

The word echoed through the stable like salvation. Gail had stopped crying her eyes were red and her face was flush. She was still huddled into the corner; her head now above her knees.

Ok, Jackie, you can do this. Just get up and go see who it is.

He got up off his hands and knees and got into a crouch behind the wall. He tried to peek out to see something, but he couldn't see anything. "Stay here, Gail," Jackie's voice was low and gruff. He hadn't had anything to drink since his time here, and he now realized his throated was parched. "I'm just gonna go and see who it is. I'll be right back ok?"

Gail nodded her approval.

His skinny figure rose from behind the stall, he though he could see someone by the barn entrance. Jackie took a step forward. He held up his hands. A sign of surrender, just in case this was some kind of trick. Could people really be willing to kill each other out here?

"It's just us," Jackie called out. "We don't want any trouble."

It was just then that Jackie saw the athletic figure of Ricky Callahan approaching the stables. He worried for a second. He had never seen this boy before, he wasn't a Hobbsborough student, but did that really matter right now? He didn't even know who Gail was before today, he hardly knew most of his own class, but he had thought it was just his school that had been a part of this sick game. Apparently not. Jackie's eyes went wide with panic as he saw the young Hispanic boy nevertheless. His thoughts were panicked and rapid. Taking the exact same approach as he took with Gail he called out to him once more, unarmed and afraid.

"I'm Jackie," his voice was low but had gained some confidence. "We're not going to hurt you."

How could I?

The feminine boy reached out a shaky hand hesitantly, like he was about to shake hands with some hideous monster. Even though he knew that wasn't the case.

Back in the stables Gail had stopped shaking. She was recovering from the shock, but the disturbing images of the game still ran through her head. Gail hugged her knees in close and silently prayed that Jackie came back alive, she just didn't want to be alone. Scared and alone.

God, please. We all just want to go home...
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Nealosi. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Megami†

Post by Megami† »

Much to Ricky's surprise, the figure that stepped out from the shadows behind the horse stalls and hay bales of the barn was not a girl at all, but in fact, was a rather lanky-looking young man.  What bewildered Ricky even more was the fact that he didn't recognize this newcomer at all.  A puzzled and almost bewildered expression affixated itself onto the Callahan boy's features as he eyed this boy up and down.

"Neither do I," Ricky chimed as the sandy-headed boy commented that "they" didn't want any trouble.

As stupid as this may be...

Ricky uttered the words to himself as his grip on his daypack loosened.  If this blonde-headed boy was going to trust him, Ricky couldn't risk posing a threat to him or the girl that he was so obviously hiding.  Shaking his head in dismay at what he was about to do, Ricky nodded his head toward the daypack in his arm, being sure not to make any sudden movements.

THUD!

The daypack that was held only moments before in Ricky's arms now landed on the ground with a dull thump as he tossed it slowly to the right, far enough out of his reach that he wouldn't be able to grasp it without outright diving to get it.  Ricky's arms reached up into the air to show that he posed no threat as he continued to eye the blonde-headed boy up and down.

I just put my life in your hands, man.  Don't do anything stupid.

"My name's Ricky," the hispanic boy stated in a low tone, "Ricky Callahan."

As the boy, who had just introduced himself as Jackie, extended his hand tentatively, Ricky too reached out, shaking the rather frail-looking boy's hand slowly.  A light smile formed on his features -- not a smile of malice or ill-will, but a genuine smile at the fact that his first encounter seemed to have turned out to be normal people.  For that, Ricky could say he was relieved.

"Where're you from, man?" Ricky inquired, his voice still in a subdued tone so as to not spook the other individual he was certain was hiding not far away, "Please tell me they didn't take other schools too?"

Jackie didn't even have to answer the question.  Ricky already knew that that was the case.  That much was evident by looking at the sandy-haired boy.  Franklyn wasn't a small school, but it wasn't a big one either.  Ricky was quite popular, even if it was mostly by association, and even if this boy had been new, he would've seen him get on the bus or something, surely.

This is fucked.  This is fucked up.  It's not just us... it's not just Franklyn.  Who else did they take?  This kid?  Whole other schools?  What if they busted some psychos out of the nuthouse and threw them on the island too, just for good measure?  You've got to be kidding me.  This is such bullshit.  I've got to find her, and I've got to find her soon.

The thoughts raced through his head at a rapid rate, but Ricky tried desperately not to let it show that his thoughts were elsewhere lest Jackie and companion become paranoid.  He had to find Whitney, and fast, but first and foremost, he needed allies.  These two, they were alone, they were scared... but they were together.  That in itself was a sign for Ricky.

People were still looking out for one another.  People still cared enough to team up and try to protect one another.  The hispanic boy smiled at the thought.  Nobody here wanted to play this game, and if all worked according to plan, maybe they wouldn't have to.  Colt had the streetsmarts, Eric had the physicality, Gregg surely had the computer smarts... if they played their cards right, if they found his friends and other students on the island capable of teaming up against Danya then maybe, just maybe, they could come out victorious.

Here's to faith, I guess...
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Megami. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Nealosi†

Post by Nealosi† »

Jackie didn't know what to say at first other than "Thank God." Someone else on the Island who didn't want his head on a pike, there had to be more people too, if this boy wasn't playing either. As he introduced himself Jackie's delicate frame came to a rest. His shoulders drooped as all his worries were washed away. Maybe he was trusting this other boy a little too early, but he had thrown his weapons away and Jackie was confident that he didn't want to hurt anyone either.

"It's great to meet you Ricky," Jackie shook the boys hand energetically. He sighed in relief and the colour began coming back into his cheeks. He was so happy he didn't even realize he was still shaking Ricky's hand with done of his. "I'm so happy you're not a killer. Not to say that you would be but... What I mean is... Hey, I'm just glad to meet you."

His began to worry again this time only with a little more confidence and hope. If they could find others that would refuse to fight maybe they could all team up. They could all fight Danya and those sick bastards who had done this. He began talking fast to keep up with his thoughts.

"I... um... I'm from Hobbsborough," Jackie brushed his blonde streak of hair out of his left eye and a hanging dark brown hair from the other eye. This hands and forehead were sweaty; something he hadn't realized before. "They took a bunch of us from Hobbsborough, man. It was so fucked up. I didn't even know the other girl. She's from Bathurst, her name is Gail, and I just found her here crying and came to help her."

That made three different schools. How many people had they taken? How many schools? This was beyond twisted. This was beyond inhumane.

Just at that time Gail poked her head from out the stall. It was the first time Jackie had seen her at full height; she was indeed pale, and indeed very beautiful. Not in a modern sense though, she was beautiful in a more traditional way, a more poetic way.

Gail blinked her dark eyes and stared at Ricky with fascination and awe. She was beginning to calm down. She silently thanked God that she had found people who didn't want to kill her. She just wanted to get back home to her mother and father. She looked over at the two and could see they were bought smiling now, a wary smile worked its way across her pale pink lips.

"Is it safe to come out, Jackie?" Gail took a step out and looked at Ricky; somehow the two boys standing together inspired a new confidence in her. She wiped away the tears on her face and started making her way over as Jackie nodded in approval.

"I'm sorry about all this," Gail smiled sheepishly. Crying for a good solid hour was not a good introduction. "I was just so scared. I'm Gail, Gail Smith. But we can work this out right?"

Gail really hoped they could. Things had looked bleak to her, but there were three off them now. They could help each other get off the island together.
Megami†

Post by Megami† »

Franklyn, Bathurst, and Hobbsborough.  Three schools from the Denton metro area, each having students that he was familiar with that attended those schools.  If what this Jackie boy said was true, individual students hadn't been abducted, entire classes had, much like with Franklyn.  He vaguely remembered reading in the newspaper about Hobbsborough High having won a trip to the Bahamas due to academic prowress or something of that nature.

It just happened to be on the same day as Franklyn's annual camping trip, but he'd never thought anything of it.  But, Bathurst?  Why those three schools?  It was just so odd that they had all been abducted in such a close vicinity to one another.  He'd witnessed the horrors of the SOTF ACT on television last year, and unless he'd missed something, it was a global events.

Kids from around the globe had been there, he was almost certain of it.  Students from the U.K., among them were some of the island's top killers like Peri Barclay.  Students from Korea.  Students from Japan.  Canada.  He was almost certain that one of the "warehouse kids" as they had since been dubbed was Scottish or Irish or something.

So the question remained... why three schools out of Denton, New Jersey?  It was such a weird coincidence, Ricky just couldn't get over it.  He couldn't wrap his mind around why three schools from the "armpit of America" had been chosen to fight one another to the death.  Of all the places to get classes... New York was understandable he supposed, he'd expect them to target California or Texas or something but... not New Jersey.

He snapped back to reality as the petite girl rose from her position crouched away among the hay bales.  He knew a lot of people at Bathurst, but he didn't know her.  Then again, as he looked her over, Ricky couldn't help but think that she was the sort of person you'd look right over anyway... thin and frail, and although she held a sort of beauty about her, she wasn't beautiful in the "modern" sense of the word, moreso in the old-fashioned one.

As Gail spoke, her delicate voice quite soft as it echoed through the barn, a sympathetic smile formed on Ricky's features.  It really was cruel.  Ricky was confident enough that for the most part, he could handle himself.  He wasn't an incredibly intimidating physical specimen, but he was athletic, and he was in shape.  That girl, though... she looked so fragile that she might break if touched.  He couldn't imagine being in such a position.

"It's nice to meet you Gail," Ricky offered, the smile still lighting up his features, "My name's Ricky, in case you didn't catch it before."

Her next question rang out in the hispanic boy's ears.  We can work this out, right?  Once again running his fist across his lips, he nodded his head as if to reassure both the girl and himself of the fact.  Of course they could.  He didn't quite know how, but they'd take this system down.  They'd do what the contestants of Version 1 couldn't.

"Yeah," Ricky stated with a grin, "We can work this out.  Like I said before, I want to form a group... I want to try to get the students to align themselves instead of all buying in to the game.  We can't accomplish anything if people are willing to play, so we've got to find other people and convince them that playing isn't the way to go.  We can take this down, I'm sure of it."

But are you really?  Are you really sure you can do it, Ricky?  The game's already begun.  You're too late.  Some people are in too deep, they won't join you.  They won't come back.  They'll hinder you every step of the way.  They'll kill her.  They'll kill you.  She's probably already dead, you know.

"What do you all say?" Ricky inquired, "You guys willing to get the hell out of dodge?"
ZigZaggerty†

Post by ZigZaggerty† »

((Continued from "Karma's a Bitch!"))

John slowed down at the edge of what appeared to be a ranch, he had never ran like that before. Just everything blurring by as he ran, feeling free to only run and never look back. Maybe he was a lot more scared then he looked, but he had to remain strong. And he had to find people who were willing to cooperate.

That's when John noticed the people nearby and quickly turned his head to face them, it was two guys and a girl talking. He slowly approached, keeping himself alert at all times.

"Are you playing the game?" John shouted to them as he got closer, making sure to be as careful as possible.

"I'm not playing!, so please don't attack!"
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler ZigZaggerty. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Nealosi†

Post by Nealosi† »

Jackie looked back as Gail finally managed to recover from her sobbing. It was a lot to handle; Jackie would be surprised if more kids were breaking down like her, or worse. This was a terrible situation even Jackie was frightened beyond belief. He looked on Gail with admiration.

Atta girl. Be strong.

Nodding concordance with everything Ricky was saying Jackie found an all new confidence in the boy. If other people wanted to get off the Island, and who wouldn't, they could fight against the terrorists. Jackie didn't know how, but with enough man power and enough effort they could do a lot of things.

Where there's a will there's a way.

Gail was not so quickly convinced. She had just seen what they had done to her teachers earlier. Couldn't they just as easily do that to them. She wanted to escape the Island, but she didn't want to kill and she really didn't want to get killed herself, along with her new found friends. She bowed her head nervously as the two boys seemed to both carry on in a way that told her that they were convinced they could escape. Well, at least they could try, and at least these two could protect her for now...

"So," Jackie broke the brief silence of contemplation. "Let's do it then. Let's go find your friends. I don't really know a lot of people from Hobbsborough, I'm pretty new there, but I'm sure there's a few people we can talk to. Gail must know a few people from Bathurst, and we can convince anyone else we find, right?"

"Um," Gail's tender voice chimed in. "I don't know a whole not of people from school. I'm not there a whole lot cause, um, I get...um...sick. Quiet a lot."

"Don't worry, Gail," Jackie jogged back to retrieve the two of their bags. "We can help you. I'm sure there's gotta be some medicine in here or something." Jackie rifled through his bag and discovered a small jackknife along with the other standard goods. He lifted it up by the bottom to show his two new comrades. "Guess I won't be fighting off any terrorists with this. Still, let's pack up this stuff and get out of here. If you have friends then I'm sure we can find them."

Jackie hoisted the two bags of gear onto his shoulders. Gail offered to carry her own but Jackie refused. The two moved to join Ricky. None of them knew one other, but they were united against a common enemy, this was a good sign. If three strangers could get together just like this than they could easily recruit others.

Just than as Jackie and Gail began to move out of their hiding space came from away.

"Are you playing the game?"

"I'm not playing! So please don't attack!"

He was shouting and frantic. He had obviously run a long ways. Though his words were well meaning Gail couldn't help but jump at the sound of another voice. Before she had a chance to speak her fears, however, Jackie yelled back in response.

"Don't worry, we aren't playing either! You can come with us." Jackie was thrilled beyond relief. His eyes went wide as he beamed at Gail and Ricky. "Look's like we've found another one."
Endless_Helix†

Post by Endless_Helix† »

((Continued from Hello...))

Gregory wandered through the wood, silently cursing at himself for every broken branch or thorn bush or obstacle in his way. He was trying to be quiet and miserably failing. It was way harder than in the movies. He was also hopelessly lost. He'd been trying to get to the Mall to see if he could scrounge something up for a weapon, but he ended up somewhere else. And somewhere else was aparently a mountain, just to the right of the middle of nowhere.  

Every year his family would go camping, despite his protests, and stayed for a week in the country.  The country being about four hours driving outside of Denton, in a campground run by a cantankerous old man constantly misplacing his dentures.  Gregory had almost burned down the tent last year trying to cook some hot dogs in the fire pit. This year they were going to go to Vermont. He almost didn't want to say it, but he was looking forward to it.  He really did like nature, even if he was incompetant at living in it. He silently wished the aliens had implanted a GPS system in his head.

Then he heard voices. They didn't seem raised, so he headed towords them. It took him a while to cover the ground. He had to go through a stream, a mud hole, and find his way around a massive thicket. But, He got there. Just in time to see someone else pop out of the woodwork. Geez, this must be the popular hang out... I better wait a bit before jumping in. That could be bad...
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Endless_Helix. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Megami†

Post by Megami† »

Jackie seemed to hop right on the bandwagon, and Ricky couldn't help but smile in satisfaction.  Three strangers -- kids who had known each other no longer than the five minutes or so that they had been conversing in the barn -- were willing to put their lives in the hands of each other.  They were willing to do whatever it took to survive and overcome this game.  If Jackie and Gail were willing to do it, that meant that it wasn't too late.  That meant that other people out there might also be willing to put their differences and their pasts aside and come together for a mutual cause.

Self-doubts were slowly starting to fade into optimism for Ricky Callahan.  Gail voiced her concerns and Jackie showed off his designated weapon -- a jackknife.  Meanwhile, Ricky Callahan continued to mentally prepare himself for the journey that he was about to embark on.  Gathering the first to allies had been quite easy, but the others were bound to be comparibly difficult.  Now, Ricky was on a race against time.

Time was a difficult opponent.  An opponent that never halted, never waivered, never stopped.  The longer he waited to rally more troops, so to speak, the more enveloped in the game people were going to become.  They couldn't save everyone.  And then, even with enough manpower, they had to figure out how to remove the collars without killing themselves in the process -- and they had to do it in twenty-four hours or they'd meet an early demise.

You're fighting an uphill battle, Callahan.  I hope you can handle it. ... I don't know how or why, but I can do this.  I have to do this, I have no other choice.

Ricky had been lost in his thoughts the entire time that the duo of Jackie Kovacs and Gail Smith had been preparing to leave the sanctity of their barnyard hideaway and embark on a journey across the island.  Words spoken by both Jackie and Gail had more or less fallen on deaf ears, as Ricky was far too deep in his trance for idle chitchat to reach him.  Their words might not have reached him, but the bellowing of someone else outside certainly did.

Instantaneously, the moment Ricky Callahan looked up toward the barn door, the figure of another male caught his attention.  The male approached slowly, timidly, as if making it a point not to startle the three figures standing before him.  Ricky watched on, his arms folded across his chest, with a keen interest as the other boy pushed forward.  Once again, he swore inwardly.  He didn't know this kid either.  His thoughts were interrupted by the interrogation the newcomer was quickly throwing in their direction.

If we were playing, there wouldn't be three of us.

The cynical thought ran through his mind, but Ricky chose to keep quiet, instead opting to continue to watch on cautiously as the boy he would soon come to know as John Matthews continued to approach the trio.

"We won't attack you," Ricky deadpanned, "So long as you don't attack us.  We're not looking for enemies, we're looking for allies.  By the way you're running around screaming, I can only assume that you are too, correct?"

He awaited the response of the dark-headed newcomer, silently praying to himself that Gail and Jackie wouldn't panic.  Much to his surprise, Jackie also spoke up, vouching for their cause.  Perhaps he had greatly underestimated the sheer will and determination of the duo that had been cowering in the hay only moments prior.  A faint smile crept over his features at the thought.  Internally, he had to admit that he was glad.  Ricky couldn't fake the stone-cold badass very well, and it was probably quite noticable to those around him, too.
ZigZaggerty†

Post by ZigZaggerty† »

John softly chuckled and straightened himself up, it seemed these guys were safe. But the one guy, with his arms crossed seemed to be viewing him critcally. John stood tall, proudly with a look of determination and courage in his face. The girl he had seen before around school, it seemed she was always frail.

When the guy spoke to him he decided to retort in the best way he could muster at the moment wiith his small amount of breath.

"For your information, I wasn't screaming" John said breathlessly, he brought his gaze over the collective group. One amazingly pale girl, a snappily dressed guy, and Mr. Critical. John wondered what would happen now with four people gathered together in the open.

Now, you gotta keep yourself in control here! Keep yourself on guard at all times and do your best to trust noone.

"I can't believe this happened to us, I thought this whole thing was over for good, but it just shows you what a crackpot those damn officials are!" John fumed, he was beginning to get on edge and would need to pop some pills soon.

"So then, what's the plan?"
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler ZigZaggerty. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Nealosi†

Post by Nealosi† »

The once empty stable was now a meeting place of resistance. Where once Jackie and Gail had sat in worry four people had gathered with a common thought in mind. They all wanted to escape. None of them wanted to kill anyone; none of them were going to fall for this sick game. It would be insane to buy into their scheme after what they had just done. Jackie for one wasn't going to do a thing they said after what they had done to him and his peers again.

Mom? I'm so scared. You taught me to be strong, and I want to see you again. I have to help everyone get off this Island. They can't get away with doing this.

"We are going to find the others," Jackie's hand clenched tight around the small jackknife. "Then we are going to find a way out of here."

Gail's eyes went back and forth between the other three boys. She wrapped her arms around her chest and hugged herself. She was glad that they were trying to escape this terrible place, but all the same, she had to be careful. Father had taught her that some boys are very bad. She looked each one of them in the eyes.  Jackie, the boy was prettier than she was, and he seemed kind. He had comforted her and she was grateful for that, but she could tell that he was afraid too. Ricky, he seemed adamant and focused, she somehow felt more confident that he was here. He was stern and strong and a very different person than either her or Jackie. Than there was John. She wasn't sure about him. He seemed worried. He seemed like he had something buried deep down.

She reached into her bag, Jackie jumped a little as she touched his shoulder. She looked through her bag quickly and took out a bottle of water. Reaching in again she pulled out her weapon. It was heavy, blunt and it glimmered of chrome in the morning sunlight. She held it out in offering.

"Um, here," Gail held the chain whip awkwardly in two hands. "I think someone else better take this. I don't know what to do with it. I don't even know what it is." Gail blushed and offered it to Jackie first. He shrugged and refused.

"You should hold onto it yourself," Jackie's expression went grim. "You never know..."

"No," Gail's reply came quickly. "I won't use it. Here, you take it Ricky."

Gail held her weapon out to Ricky.

"Let's just get out of here and find your friends," Gail nodded and held her water bottle close.

Jackie nodded back and hoisted up the two bags. Gail began to walk towards the exit of the barn. Jackie followed and looked to Ricky and John.
Megami†

Post by Megami† »

Ricky sighed audibly when the dark-headed boy who had yet to introduce himself inquired about their "plan".  Ricky didn't have a plan.  He knew what would inevitably have to be done if any of them were going to get out of this "game", if you could even call it that, but he didn't have the slightest idea where to start.

Oh well.  Better start convincing them you know what you're doing now, Callahan, even if you don't.  You're never going to get any allies if you're unsure of yourself and you let it on.

Ricky Callahan smiled a forelorn smile, inwardly kicking himself from exiting one facade only to put on another.  What was he even thinking?  Upon awakening on the island, Ricky had made himself a promise.  He had promised that he would no longer lead the life of a pawn, and that he would live the remainder of his days -- no matter how short nor long -- for himself.

He couldn't even do that much.  He'd gone from the figure in the background to the role of "leader" in one fell swoop, and it was something that Ricky hadn't really expected, nor had he been prepared for.  The truth was that although he wanted to get out, he'd honestly figured the first allies he attempted to woo would attack him on the spot and all notions of escape would cease.  Finding others who still had enough sanity in tact to want out was a welcome surprise, but he honestly found himself not knowing quite how to handle the situation.

~~~

"Hey, bro."

His silent contemplation was brought to an abrupt hault as the voice echoed out from behind them. Raising his head and turning to look, Ricky greeted his younger brother with a slight wave. The younger Callahan sibling, age 16, was currently chugging the pint of milk from the refridgerator, and Ricky couldn't help but muse over the fact, a faint smile coming to his face.

"That's really disgusting, you know."

At the retort, Matt put the lid back on the milk and stuffed it back into the refridgerator. A wide smile crossed his face, and Ricky couldn't help but shake his head and laugh lightly at the milk mustache that had formed over his younger brother's upper lip. It was at that point that Ricky took a moment to really look over his younger brother for the first time in a very long time. Gone was the wide eyed, innocent little boy who used to ride on Ricky's coattails everywhere he went. Instead, somebody completely different had taken his place. Now, that pudgy little boy had turned into an adult.

The messily-fixed, jet-black cowlicked hair had long since been traded in for gelled-up spikes; his innocent, wide eyes had gradually transformed into more mature pools of dark brown; his round, chubby face had become more aged, defined, and mature. In fact, everything about Matt had changed. The tubby little boy had become a young man with a rather impressive physique. Tilting his head to the side at this new revelation, Ricky looked on in a sort of dumbstruck manner as Matt took a moment to wipe away the milk mustache.

"So..." Matt mused, still trifling through the contents of the refridgerator, "I got some pretty cool news today."

"Yeah?" Ricky mused, finally turning away from his brother and staring back at the math homework in a dumbfounded manner. This problem was impossible.

"Coach said that with the way I've been going this season, he's gonna go ahead and bump me up to the starting lineup next year if I keep playing. Cool, huh?"

This new revelation once again caused Ricky to cast aside his homework to look at his younger brother. He had just joined the football team this season. By all rights, he should be on the Junior Varsity team. And now, the coach was promising him starting lineup for next season? Surely he wasn't that good. Surely he couldn't beat out all those other kids who'd been playing for ages in such a short span... could he? Ricky'd been playing baseball since he was a kid, and he was just now getting out on the field in a regular game. Matt had just started playing football at the beginning of the year as a time-filler, and he was being bumped up already?

"Huh. Yeah, that's pretty cool."

Once again turning back to his homework, though now visibly aggravated at the new information he'd been provided, Ricky stared vacantly at the math problem once again, simply unable to solve it. After having been told Matt's "good" news, he was a bit flustered. That certainly wasn't helping his ability to do any math lately. Despite that, Ricky put on a smile, appearing to be quite happy for his younger brother.

"So... congratulations," he mused, putting on a front.

"Hey thanks man, I appreciate it," Matt replied, a smile forming on his lips.

Although the younger Callahan sibling would never admit it, he'd always looked up to his older brother. Ricky was always so smart, always so on top of things. He was down-to-earth and never seemed to lose his cool. Best of all, Ricky was smart, and he could still hang with the popular crowd, and for that, Matt absolutely idolized him. To him, Ricky Callahan was one of the coolest people on earth, despite his short-comings and lack of self-confidence. Perhaps he should've told him that once in a while.

Casually leaning over his older sibling's shoulder, Matt scowered the math problem Ricky currently seemed to be stuck on. It looked pretty complicated, but the lightbulb in Matt's head suddenly seemed to come on, and his face lit up with excitement. It was rare that he got the chance to help his older brother, it was usually the other way around, with Ricky leaning over his shoulder telling him the answers. Now, for once, it was his turn.

"By the way, the answer to that problem's 47," Matt mused.

~~~

The memory of his younger brother drifted into his mind as he pondered over some sort of an escape plan, and despite himself, the dark-headed boy couldn't help but smile.  He and Matt had drifted apart significantly in recent years, and truth be told, Ricky had almost become jealous of his younger brother.  He'd all but usurped Ricky as the Callahans' golden child, and Ricky hadn't taken to it lightly.  Oddly enough, at this given moment, he'd give his life for the opportunity to hug his little brother.  Unfortunately, that was an opportunity he'd most likely never again receive.

"I'm gonna be honest with you guys," he stated solemnly, "I don't know what we're going to do.  I know that this game has flaws... all games have flaws."

At that comment, Ricky reached up and tapped the cold metal wrapped around his neck lightly, indicating that the collars, too, probably had flaws.  They probably weren't apparent, but everything had a loophole, and nothing was fool-proof.  Escape wasn't even an option at the moment.  Right now, they had to worry about gathering forces and they had to worry about figuring out a way to remove the collars around their necks.  Without the collars, Danya had no control over them.  The intimidation factor was gone.

"The more allies we have, the more brain power we have, and together, we can figure this out.  Nothing is foolproof, guys.  Nothing."

Gail's squeaky voice spoke up around that time, offering out her weapon -- a chain whip -- to Jackie, who swiftly declined it in favor of his jackknife.  Gail once again offered her weapon out, this time to Ricky.  His eyebrows raised curiously as she insisted that he take the weapon as it would be of no use to her.  Reaching out to clutch the weapon in his hand, Ricky analyzed it.  It was a step up from his slingshot, for sure.  Still, it wasn't right to leave the girl weaponless.

"Gail..." he inquired quietly, "Are you sure?"

Gail seemed bent on her course of action, and Ricky wasn't going to argue.  His attention slowly turned to the dark-headed boy who had also joined their company.  He wondered what sort of weapon that boy had.  Before he had a chance to inquire, however, Gail and Jackie had already hoisted up their belongings and headed toward the barn's exit.  Inevitably, Ricky reached over and grasped his own pack, slinging it over his shoulder and nodding toward the boy he could come to know as John Matthews to follow en suite.  He had questions for the new boy, but apparently they would have to wait.

((Continued elsewhere, I suppose.))
ZigZaggerty†

Post by ZigZaggerty† »

And it seemed that as soon as they had gotten there, they were gone. Gail and Jackie had gone off first, after the whole scene of Gail offering up her weapon and Ricky claiming it after a brief discussion on wether she should have it or not.

"Well, I guess we better get going..." John said, before retreating back into his own mind. He hoisted his bag over his shoulder and quickly followed the others. He kept his eyes on Ricky, it seemed there was gonna be some tension there.

You can do this John, keep calm...

((OOC: Sorry for the terribly short posts, I feel so inadequate next to your amazingly long posts >.<))

((Continued Elswhere))
Endless_Helix†

Post by Endless_Helix† »

Gregory watched at the group walked off. They hadn't even noticed him, standing in the woods as he was. Story of my life... I should've been more outgoing... I should've... but I wasn't. Dammit. They'd probably find some way off the island, and he would be stuck here with the psychos and maniacs killing eachother. He never had the luck. His was definately from the shallow end of the gene pool and probably could have mapped the inside of every toilet in Bathurst, but now... it all seemed rather pointless.

He sighed and wandered down into the barn to settle down.

((Continued in Hiding in the Barn))
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Endless_Helix. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.

Return to “Mountain Ranch”