Promase

Everything Prom-related before the actual dance takes place here: last second date-searches, time spent dressing, rendezvous with friends, and fancy limo (or, as the case may be, bus) rides to the dance are all welcome.
Gwbiii†

Promase

Post by Gwbiii† »

((Sarah Xu continued from Decisions, Decisions))

Sarah paced across her book and paper-laden room wearing nothing but underwear and an incredibly daggy T-shirt. On her bed lay a $5 suit she'd picked up from an op-shop, and a beautiful, vibrant qípáo that her grandma had picked up second hand. The red silk felt and looked so soft and warm and it had intricate floral and geometric patterns embroidered into it like golden filigree and... looking at it made her mind go blank.

Basically, it was way too pretty to wear, and she'd been seriously considering doing the vaguely subversive thing and wearing a suit to the prom. That'd fit her better personality wise. It was also the original plan before she'd been given this. It'd also be what most of her friends were expecting, which kind of takes the edge off it, not that that was the point. But she really really liked the dress, and when else was she going to get an opportunity to wear it out?

She subconsciously placed her left hand on her hip and pulled her hair with her right. Maybe she should have another shower and think about it. No, then she really would be late. Two showers in one day was plenty already. At least she didn't have to worry about nasty acne inducing makeup or anything. Her hair was clean, cut and combed, and that was about as far in the beauty department as she was prepared to go. Hell, getting an actual hair cut was already a step outside the norm, and now this dress...

Now, this dress. She'd made a decision. She was going to wear it, that was final. She hastily changed into it before she could yet again convince herself not to. She straightened it out, tugging here and there in front of the mirror. It was a snug fit, which was lucky. It was also a bit more... revealing than she was normally happy with. Mostly due to the close fit, but also because while the dress ended just below her knees, the slits up the sides went well up her thighs. She thought to maybe wear some trousers under it, even considering stockings for about 2 seconds. But no, stockings were stupid and impractical and a poster example of inbuilt obsolescence. Besides they just weren't her. A bit like the dress really. She politely told those thoughts to fuck off, the dress was worth it, and the patterns were so...

Okay, blanked for a second there again. What was she... That's right. She folded the suit pieces up and stuck them in her shoulder bag. At least if it got cold she could wear the jacket, since her arms were kind of sticking out with the lack of sleeves on the thing, and it didn't have the raised collar. She sat on the edge of the bed and pulled on a pair of flat, buckled black dress shoes. Heels would have been a bad idea. She could never really walk in them properly, and recently she was having enough trouble staying upright as it was.

On the subject of being 'swept off her feet', she figured she'd better go get Reiko. She descended the stairs at quarter-usual speed (like a normal person) and went into the living room to fetch dad... Only to find the entire family, grandma included, waiting for her. Taking sight of the dress they all stopped and stared.

She did her best to look like there was nothing out of the ordinary. "What?"

Everyone but her grandma, who'd all but planned it, and Liam, who'd pulled a camera out of nowhere and started taking pictures. They were already smiling mischievously. For her mum, dad and really little brother it took a little while to register. Her mum and dad simultaneously said something along the lines of "huh, wow. okay." After a minute or two of the family reacting and recovering from the shock, they spent another 10 minutes getting photos, her mother and grandmother kissed her on the cheek and she and her dad went out to take the car to Reiko's place.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the former handler Gwbiiii.
Rocky†

Post by Rocky† »

((Reiko Ishida continued from Burger Time))

Reiko never expected she would be at this point in her life.

For one, she had never spent an hour in the shower before, much to the dismay of her sister, who was also trying to prepare for prom. From her room down the hall, Reiko heard a rather uncharacteristic curse from Reika as she discovered all the hot water was gone. wearing an old pair of boxers and an undershirt, she wrestled with her hair, which had grown out considerably, to the point where normally Reiko would have cut it by now, but she had the urge to try for a new look after... well, after her most recent trip to the hospital. It was still considerably short by most females standards, but Reiko hadn't had hair this long since she could wield a pair of scissors.

Finally feeling satisfied with her hair, although it was still a bit messy, she turned to her closet, and opened it up. Inside was the only piece of clothing she'd ever hung up in her life. It was probably also the most normal outfit she had ever worn in recent memory. A simple, black pinstripe suit, custom made to fit her perfectly, with a matching fedora sitting on the shelf above. Each of the twins had been allotted $300 from their parents to buy their stuff for prom. Reiko's suit hadn't cost nearly that much, only coming up to about $100, but she had but that extra $200 to use. Putting on the suit, she donned the hat, and looked at the full length mirror hanging on the back of her door. She felt like she was part of the mafia, which brought a smile to her face.

Looking at her watch, she realized Sarah wouldn't be there for a little bit, so she still had some time. Reiko couldn't help but smile at their unusual circumstance. For one, Sarah was Reika's friend, which made it odd that they'd never met before. Then when they did meet, they gave each other concussions and other various injuries. Reiko subconsciously touched her lip, which the swelling had gone down considerably, but was still a bit puffy. Now, here she was, waiting on that same person to pick her up for prom. That wasn't the part that got her thinking though. There was something in the back of her mind, something elusive, that she hoped would solve itself before the night was out.

Shaking her head, she grabbed her bag, which had a change of clothes for later, she headed downstairs, vaguely recalling how this would be the first time in years she was leaving her roller blades behind. Reika was still getting ready upstairs, but her parents well in the living room waiting for them, video camera in hand. Reiko laughed and covered her face with her hat, feigning embarrassment.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the former handler Rocky.
Gwbiii†

Post by Gwbiii† »

Sarah stared out the window as they drove. Her eyes lazily following the lights as they drifted past. If she squinted, they looked like little crosses that tilted with her head, she'd always found that fascinating. Her mind was on Reiko though, and prom, and whatever it was you were meant to do there.

Her dad, with his freaky mind reading powers, finally broke the silence.

"You really like this girl don't you"

"Do you know where we're going?"

"Yeah, taking a right in a couple of streets. Well?"

She took a moment to think before answering. Half of her wanted to avoid the question, the other half was desperate to get it off her chest.
"... Yes. I do."

"Does she?"

"Dunno. Maybe? I'm not sure." She paused again, busy putting together how to continue in her head. "I mean... I've been seeing a bit of her at school since I went back and... I think there's something there but... yeah, I don't know."

The next part was the hardest, but also the part she needed some advice on. "I wouldn't know what to do if she did anyway."

"Just do what comes naturally"

"Ha."

"Seriously though, just relax, enjoy yourself and it'll come alright in the end."

"Hm."

To be honest, she'd already thought that, but she just had trouble believing it for long. The silence lasted another minute or so until they reached no. 33. Her dad parked outside the Ishidas' and got out first. Sarah was feeling apprehensive, but opened the door a few seconds later anyway.

Her dad looked like he wanted a hug, so she gave him one. Okay, so she wanted one as well, but it was sooo his fault.

"I know you know and I know it sounds cliche, but I'm proud of you, really."

"Thanks dad."

The show of heart-warming sentimentality over, Sarah walked up to the front door and pressed the little buzzer doorbell thing. Best to do it quickly before she had a crippling panic attack and died on their front porch or something.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the former handler Gwbiiii.
Rocky†

Post by Rocky† »

Video camera in hand, Reiko's father was trying to get a shot of her face, which was still hidden behind her hat. "Come on, I wanna see my beautiful daughter's face on the most important night of her teenage life."

Reiko lowered her hat reluctantly. "Don't use that word." she said, perhaps a little harsher than she intended.

"So are we going to meet her, or are you just going to run away on us as soon as they get here?" her mom asked.

Reiko had, of course, told her parents she was going with Sarah, though they thought they were going as friends. Which all things considered, could very well be the case. Still she could tell that her parents were at least a little distraught that their younger daughter didn't find a boy to take her to prom. Not that Reiko would have gone with any of them anyways. Before Reiko could answer the question, the doorbell rang. Walking over to the door, she had planned on saying something overly dramatic for the sake of her parents, probably something along the lines of "save me".

What came out when she opened door was a quiet "woah..."

There was a very brief moment where time seemed to stand still, as Reiko registered just exactly what she was looking at. It was, to say the least, the last thing she had expected. Everything, all of her recent thought, feelings, and what have you, exploded to the front of her mind. She was quick to recover, but probably not quick enough, as she greeted Sarah.

"Hello." she said in a rather subdued voice. "Umm I know we don't have much time, and your dad is waiting, but would you like to step in for a moment? My parents would like to meet you."

Reiko stepped to the side, still holding the door open, and gestured for Sarah to enter. This was going to be an interesting night.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the former handler Rocky.
Gwbiii†

Post by Gwbiii† »

Sarah didn't have to wait long before Reiko came to the door in a suit that put her op-shop find to shame. Though she wasn't really concerned with the suit so much as the person in it. She'd been fretting about meeting up with Reiko for prom all day, and now that she actually was she felt more nervous than ever.

Her "Hey!" sounded slightly more frantic than she'd been practicing in her head.

When Reiko took a little while to answer, with the look on her face, she smiled. First her own family, now Reiko, it was funny the effect her change of attire seemed to be having. The thought that Reiko might be reacting at least as much to her as the dress didn't even cross her mind. It wasn't that she didn't want that to be the case, just that she had trouble believing it might be. And it was a very pretty dress.

"Hello. Umm I know we don't have much time, and your dad is waiting, but would you like to step in for a moment? My parents would like to meet you."

"Uh, sure!"

The thought of meeting Reiko's parents added to her nervousness. The last thing she wanted to do was make a bad impression on the Ishidas' parents. Regardless, she watched her step as she crossed the threshold into the warm light of the hallway.
Rocky†

Post by Rocky† »

As Sarah stepped into the house, Reiko shut the door behind them, signaling to Sarah's father they'd be a minute. Starting to walk towards her living room, she turned her head towards Sarah. "This way. I hope you don't mind being on camera."

By the time the two made it into the living room, Reika had finished dressing, and was being pestered by the parents. She was wearing a blue strapless dress, and heels large enough to almost make her as tall as Sarah. The parents immediately switched their focus to Reiko and Sarah as they entered.

"Oh now who is this pretty lady?" Reiko's mother asked, giving Sarah a once over.

"Mom, dad, this is Sarah." Reiko said by way of introduction.

Her dad, still holding the camera, extended a free hand. "It's a pleasure to meet you. So how'd you two meet?"
Gwbiii†

Post by Gwbiii† »

Mind being on camera? That confused Sarah for a second before she realised she probably meant parental photo fun rather than whatever it was she was thinking about. Candid Camera or something. Honestly she still wasn't looking forward to it. She'd learnt to tolerate photos of herself after she realised that everyone else hated their own photos too. That said, she still preferred to be behind a camera than in front of one.

Her immediate feelings on entering the living room were shock at Reika's added height, and relaxation. Their parents didn't seem so different to hers, though she doubted they enjoyed tormenting their children quite as much.

She also never thought she'd hear 'pretty lady' from anyone not intending to mock her. She gave an embarrassed smile, compliments were always something she had trouble accepting enthusiastically.

"Mom, dad, this is Sarah."

"Hi"

She shook Reiko's dad's hand, feeling more than a little odd with the camera in her face.

"It's a pleasure to meet you. So how'd you two meet?"

"Uh, well we just kinda ran into each other and she gave me a con-"

"Cupcake!" said Reiko, perplexingly.

"But..." Shit, she just remembered Reiko saying she hadn't told her parents about the hospital thing.

"But what?" Too late, Reiko's dad was onto her.

"Well it's just that, umm... I thought it was more of a muffin. Important distinction."
Rocky†

Post by Rocky† »

Reiko's father gave Reiko a suspicious look, but decided to let it slide for now. He made a mental note to question his daughter later.

"Alright well, we don't wanna keep you two waiting, but first let's get a picture of you two." handing the video camera over to his wife, he grabbed the digital camera that was on the table beside him.

Reiko stood beside Sarah as the picture was taken, thinking of the surreality of the situation. She never in her 18 years of living thought she would be going to prom period, let alone with a girl. Of course, they'd just have to see how the night went.

After a few more photos, Reiko finally cut in. "You know, we should probably get going. We don't want to keep Sarah's father waiting."

"Oh right," her father said. "Well, have fun you two!"

With a smile, Reiko started walking to the door, no doubt Sarah following close behind.
Gwbiii†

Post by Gwbiii† »

Sarah was surprised she'd managed to dodge that one. She chalked it up to long years of experience saying things that didn't make any sense.

When the photo-taking started, she didn't have to smile for the camera, she was already beaming. Her excitement had finally overcome her nervousness, they were definitely going, no random unexpected reason not to had cropped up, Reiko hadn't changed her mind and Sarah didn't really have the option of wimping out anymore. She was always glad when she didn't have that choice.

"You know, we should probably get going. We don't want to keep Sarah's father waiting."

"Oh right, well, have fun you two!"

"We will thanks, thankyou!"

The two left the house and quickly went to the car, where Sarah's dad was sitting reading a newspaper. Sarah opened the rear door and scooted over to the opposite seat, smile still on her face. Her dad spoke up from the front as they entered.

"Hey Reiko! Got everything?"
Rocky†

Post by Rocky† »

As soon as they got out of the house, Reiko breathed a sigh of relief. Easy part was done, now it was off to the big dance itself. Of course first, she had to survive the trip there. Reiko took a moment to close her eyes and let a small crooked smile cross her face before going after Sarah to the car. Sliding into the car beside Sarah, she was greeted by Sarah's father.

"Hello Mr. Xu. Yes, I have everything thank you. How are you?" she responded.

After that, They would set off to their destination. In a short amount of time, they would be at the prom, and their evening would truely being. First however, they had to get there. There was a couple moments of silence, where Reiko tried not to look at Sarah, for fear that she would end up staring. Finally, the silence became unbearable, and was finally broken by Reiko.

"So, are you excited?"
Gwbiii†

Post by Gwbiii† »

Was she excited? About prom itself? Not really, she hated pop music, wasn't a fan of dancing, after-parties weren't her thing, and she was a little bit averse to crowds of people. About going with Reiko? Absolutely!

"Yeah, was a little bit unsure before, It's not really my thing, but we're actually going there now so I'm a bit hyped. Not rocking up by myself is awesome."

As she said that last part she looked over at Reiko, silly grin still on her face. It was true, even if they were just going as friends it was really good having someone to go with. Otherwise she probably would have just ended up getting in the way of some couple or running around trying to find someone to talk with. Or worse, just sitting outside by herself like she'd done with all the junior celebrations.

"You?"
Rocky†

Post by Rocky† »

Reiko couldn't help but smile. "I've never seen prom as anything special really. I mean I was probably going to go anyways, but it'll be fun."

There was more she wanted to say, a lot more. Reiko turned her head away, looking outside at the darkened street, the flashing lights of the passing street lamps and various store signs. There was definitely a lot more she wanted to say... but there would be time for that later. First, they'd need to get through prom. Reiko hoped they wouldn't have to stay too long. It wasn't the crowds, or the music, or the atmosphere, or the dancing that made her not want to stick around in prom long. Either way, they'd be there soon, so it was best to not dwell on it.

"So yeah... I'm pretty excited to go." she said finally.
Gwbiii†

Post by Gwbiii† »

The Ishidas lived relatively close to their destination, so the trip wasn't taking long at all.

"Aha, same." Inevitably, silence followed. It was times like these that Sarah realised she had no idea how to make small talk. She'd even done a course on it and she still struggled with the concept. Of course, having one of her parents in the car didn't help the matter, though that was about to remedy itself, and really it was a cop-out anyway.

The car came to a halt outside the rec center and Sarah popped the door open. Dad turned around in his seat before they left.

"Now don't behave yourselves okay?"

Sarah tutted. "Fiiiine"

"Have fun!"

"We will, thanks dad!"

Sarah got out of the car and surveyed the hall as her dad drove off. Seemed they'd managed to get there pretty well on time, people were filtering in and horrible pop music was bouncing out the doors... wait. Was that?

"Oh god we've been rickrolled."
Rocky†

Post by Rocky† »

They arrived at their destination fairly quickly, and after thanking Sarah's father, got out of the car. Reiko watched as the car took off, rounding the corner and out of sight. Well, no turning back now. she thought as she turned back towards the entrance. Donning her cap, which she had been holding in her hands, she watched as a few couples and individuals entered the building.

"You know, I actually used to like this song." Reiko said offhanded to Sarah's comment.

Reiko couldn't help but look at Sarah again. Once again, the thought that Sarah looked so... well, feminine came to her mind again. The way her outfit seemed to bring out this side of her was a little shocking to Reiko. Something deep within her seemed to take control of her body, as Reiko seemed to watch her arm raise of it's own accord, and slip her tiny hand into Sarah's. After a moment Reiko finally spoke up.

"Well, shall we get this going?"
Gwbiii†

Post by Gwbiii† »

Apparently Reiko liked kitschy 80's music. There was something she didn't know. Sarah had to agree, it was a lot better than current pop. Honestly, if they played nothing from after 1995 all night, she'd be more than happy to hang around. And... Reiko was holding her hand?

Her mind went completely blank, like when she was mesmerised by the dress patterns earlier. Meditative, almost, except that her heart was beating around the 500bpm mark and her face and ears felt like they were boiling. She glanced down at their hands, then found herself staring straight into Reiko's eyes as she spoke again.

"Well, shall we get this going?"

"Uhh sh-sure."

They started walking up to the doors, and they were holding hands. Other people held hands all the time right? Especially at dances? and they were going to a dance, so it wasn't that unusual... It wasn't unheard of and...

And just prior to melting down completely, she suddenly realised she needed to stop rationalising and trust Occam's razor for once. Her previous look of shock morphed into a nervous smile. She really liked her. There was like, mutual liking happening. Prom was going to be awesome

That feeling, she never wanted to give it up.

((Sarah and Reiko continued inside somewhere))

Return to “Pre-Prom”