Test of Courage

Monsters? They look like monsters to you

Lined with dumpsters the various stores dispose of their trash in, there isn't much to see in the back alley behind the mall. The occasional employee slips back here to indulge themselves in a cigarette one in a while, and the occasional band of "emo" kids who think they're too cool for the mall but hang out there anyway seem to find a home in this dirty little haven.
KamiKaze

Test of Courage

Post by KamiKaze »

((Carol Burke pre-game debut))

There were many vermin out and about in the back alley. Sometimes, there would be a rat scurrying about, looking for a nice bit of fast food that someone abandoned. Other times, there would be a few shady looking individuals, discussing a few unsavory topics.

Carol Burke, however, was neither of these things.

Carol had spent the past hour looking through GameStop and buying a drink at the nearby coffee shop at the food court. And it showed; in one hand she held a white plastic bag, with a couple of used games for her to play once she got home. In the other, she held an iced coffee, with whipped cream and grounded chocolate chips in it.

The reason why she was here was something she felt somewhat silly about, but she gave in anyways. Just a few minutes ago, she had decided to leave the Promenade, and saw that there was an exit to the alleyway. And, she had the urge to exit through there, since she had never been in the alley before.

No... don't be silly. There are rats and rapists running about that sort of place, Carol had told herself.

But, soon she decided that she was feeling a little brave. After all, if she got out of the area without something bad happening, she could tell her friends. Heck, she could even find that there was no one there, and it could be a daily thing.

So, she soon gave in. Curse her curiosity. If something happened to her, it would be all her fault, she had told herself upon a few feet in.

She walked a bit, until she stumbled into a bunch of cardboards boxes that had been set up. Literally.

"Oof!"

Carol fell to her stomach, dropping the plastic bag she had in her hand. In addition, she felt her other hand grip her coffee tighter, as it didn't leave her hand. But, the way she was currently holding it now looked a little... well, uneven at the bottom.

Just at that moment, she heard a small, somewhat robotic sounding version of Dies Irae.

"Call?" she said to no one in particular.

Carol sat up so that she was on her knees, and fished out her cellphone, answering.

"Hello?"

"Carol, where are you?" Her father was at the other end, clearly concerned.

The teenage girl frowned. "Dad... I went shopping. I got games and coffee."

"Well... it's getting late. Do you need to be picked up?"

"Nah, I'm good" Carol answered. "I'm just leaving the Promenade. It's not too far of a walk."

Then a couple of beats of silence. After a few seconds, her father then spoke again.

"Okay, Carol. Just call me if you need a ride. It will be dark sometime soon, and it might be a little scary walking out all by yourself."

Carol smiled. "Okay Dad. I'll talk to you later."

"Bye sweetie!"

With that, he hung up.

Carol sighed, and placed her phone back into her jean pocket. Upon doing so, she noticed that there was a bit of dirt on her jeans, and a tiny bit more on her favorite red hoody. Drat, she was going to clean that up, soon.

She lifted herself off the ground completely, and picked up her bag of games. Hey, if I encounter rapists or muggers, I can use this as a make-prov weapon!, she suddenly thought. Sometimes, such thoughts popped into her head at random.

One thing she wasn't sure was a relief or a thing to worry about, though, was that there was no one in sight. On one hand, she wouldn't have to use her "improv weapon". On the other, it was creepy. It kind of reminded Carol of a few games she had played, actually. And... for this reason she was creeped out.

God... I wouldn't be surprised if some kind of monster would pop up, and I would have to fight that thing off, she thought.
Lord Jarke†

Post by Lord Jarke† »

(Laurence's pregame debut)

Life had been one long period of business for Laurence and it did not seem as if things would let up for him soon. Just today he had to sort out another problem with the neighbours playing loud trashy music at god forsaken hours in the morning and he was on the edge of calling the police due this. On top of that school work was piling up on him again. He did not normally let it go that far yet he just did not have the will recently to keep up like he normally did. Now he was in the Promenade looking at other people having far more fun than he was.

He walked briskly on his way out with several slightly creased forms in hand from the school. At this point he just wanted to let the stress go and relax. In fact if he had the money on hand he would have just bought a drink there and then. It made him grumble as he walked past the coffee shop.

"It will be fine though Laur, it's just another stressy time. Don't annoyed about it". He thought to himself.

As he kept on walking he saw a flicker of a familiar face nearby. His mind searched for whom that face was. He could almost put a name to the face yet it was teasingly out of his memory of who that person was.

"I may as well check to see who it is" He said. He had a little time before he needed to get home and any company was better than none.

The person had gone down the alleyway which seemed odd given how many people were reluctant to do such a thing. Laurence was not fond of doing it himself at certain hours. Yet it was merely evening at the moment. He knew that it was very unlikely something would happen at this time. At least, he hoped so.

As he walked down the grimy alleyway he noticed the large amount of old paper which ranged from newspapers to packets. It littered the floor and contributed to the dirtiness of the place. Some fresh graffiti of various colour and style was splayed across the walls with rude gestures and names. Several rubbish bins were present with several knocked over and the res were overfilled. The whole placed was a magnet for trouble.

However Laurence eyed a girl who was holding a bag full of what looked like games as a weapon in the way that a old lady would hold a handbag. His footsteps echoed slightly against the walls which would surely alert the girl of his arrival here.
"Hello there. I hope didn't get the jump on you but I just thought you look like someone at my school".

A few moments after he had uttered those words; he had finally realised who it was.
"Oh" He said and paused, unable to say anything for a moment. "Oh hi Carol, I did not recognise you for a second". He said with a slightly embarrassed smile.
What she holding probably were games and it would be fitting for her. Laurence did not know her that well yet he knew that (well many in the school knew) that she was a gamer girl and proud of it.

"Heh, what are you doing down here anyway?" He said. "This place is where weirdoes, thugs and other shit hang out." He scratched his nose slightly and breathed in the cooling air. A weak breeze could be felt blowing through the alleyway as papers got swept up and some of the bins wobbled slightly.

Laurence now fully expected to be hit with Carol's "weapon" before she could realise what he said or watch as she tried to do it, only to hit break the bag and send her new purchases flying across the alleyway. Either way he expected her to react badly at first. It would just be his luck.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Lord Jarke. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
KamiKaze

Post by KamiKaze »

Just as Carol was brushing herself off, she heard someone... talking to her?!

Uh... oh.

"KYAAAAAAAAAAA!"

Carol found herself screaming so loud, it would be a wonder if no one nearby had their eyedrums busted. She wasn't alone after all! There was someone else here, and they noticed her! If it was a bad person...

Alright, Carol, time to fight for your life, your money, your honor and your dignity! Time to fight for-

Wait. Someone from school? They (or rather, he) thought that she was someone from their school?

Swiftly turning around, she looked at the boy behind her. Well, he didn't appear to be a rapist. In fact, it was indeed someone she knew from school. Laurence Haver, of Bayview Secondary School. As far as she knew, he wasn't a rapist. She didn't know him that well, but she knew that he was fairly decent.

"Oh! Hiya!" she smiled, waving at him.

It would seem that he wanted to know what she was doing here. Well, better tell him, right?

"Just a change of pace... I was just leaving, and I saw this exit. And then I wanted to go this way, because I wanted to... er... do something different! And it was quicker to get home this way. I hesitated because of the things you listed, but I gave in due to curiosity!" Carol found herself quickly blurting out, her smile somewhat turning into an awkward one.

Damn, she probably made herself out to look like an idiot. Oh well.

She heard a small rustling sound nearby, from a trash can a few feet away behind her. It was very subtle, but she could hear it. Yup, rats. Sure, she had seen pet rats owned by humans, and they were such cute creatures. But... wild rats? Weren't so pleasant. She heard somewhere-didn't know where- that they tended to spread germs. This was how the Black Plague apparently started, according to her source. Wild rats were filthy no matter what, though. Ack.

After listening to it for a few seconds, she then commented "This place gives me the creeps, though... it reminds me too much of certain games I've played."

Carol kind of shuddered, and then spoke again.

"Say... what are you doing here, yourself? Same reason?"

She kind of fidgeted on the spot, a little nervous due to the atmosphere. Creepy, creepy! This place was creepy!
Badb†

Post by Badb† »

((Dominic Hoffman, Continued from The Importance of Being Idle))

The back alley of the promenade was, apparently, a favorite place for unsavoury sorts. Dom was lucky enough not to have encountered any of said unsavoury sorts, but he always kept his eyes and ears open for anything.

Fortunately for him, as he was walking along with a fairly heavy box containing a Rock Band drumkit, the only signs of life happened to be the rats that were walking by his fee-

"KYAAAAAAAAAAA!"

Uh, what?

Dom jogged round the corner, as fast as he could carrying his bulky box, and saw two people... talking?

Y'know, I was expecting a mugger, or something

"Hey" Dom walked towards the two "Did either of you two... uh... just hear screaming?" I swore it came from round here."

"Damn this place is weird at night."

Looking down at his watch, and at the hefty box, Dom turned to the two.

"Y'know what, I really don't care." He said, sighing and walking off down the alley. "Whoever it was, It's none of my business."

Putting the box under his arm, Dom carried on walking until he got home.

((Dom Hoffman, Continued in The Throwdown))
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the former handler Badb.
KamiKaze

Post by KamiKaze »

((Alright, I'm going to have Carol leave too, since she is expected elsewhere. I apologize, but I really want to develop her a bit more. ^_^;))

Suddenly, a guy came running in at full blast.

Carol did not know who he was, but she knew one thing: her scream was loud enough for him to hear, and he was probably expecting to save some poor damsel in distress. But, Carol wasn't in any danger. She was just... surprised. Walking behind someone when they are in a dark alleyway would do that, after all.

However, the boy left after a few seconds. Carol couldn't blame him; he was carrying a box after all. Plus, it was getting dark...

"Well, that was... an interesting moment! I think I scared him."

She gave off an awkward smile, still kind of embarrassed by the fact that someone thought that she was being hurt. Carol's throat still kind of hurt from that scream, as well. Geez, how many people were terrified by that?!

Okay Carol, let's face it; this place will only become more creepy once night completely falls. And you need to be able to see.

"Ah! I really don't think a dark alleyway is a good place to talk! And my father... he's expecting me home any minute now!"

Carol fidgeted on the spot a bit more, and turned, looking over her shoulder.

"I'm sorry. But, I'll see you at school, Laur. As always! I assure you!"

As she walked towards the alley's exit, Carol couldn't help but wonder if Laurence got out safely. But, he seemed to be the kind of person to not have to worry about. She was a big fan of being friendly with others, but hopefully Laur had a cell. Plus, they weren't too far from where they came, right? If he got lost, it would be easy for him to turn back and find his way from the mall. Still though...

((Carol Burke continued in The Throwdown))

Return to “The Back Alley”