Ego Sum Volo Futurus

private between me and faceinabook

It's your normal mall food court. Eateries are in place to serve the high brow and the low brow, the extravagant and the money-minding. Pizza, pasta, hamburgers, Oriental, you name it, it's here. A vast sea of tables and chairs sprawls forth from the food court, and it never seems to be empty.
Brackie

Ego Sum Volo Futurus

Post by Brackie »

((Brendan Wallace continued from Food For Thought))

To Brendan, getting a job was not the worst thing in the world. He could use the extra cash, he wouldn't have to ask his parents for money, and it could help develop his people skills as he progressed from talking to the people working out back, to actually making small talk to customers out front.

If only it wasn't the most horrendously placed cafe in the whole U.S.A.

The cafe, known as 'Hollowed Grounds', (apparently the previous owner was a fan of the 'Dawn of the Dead' remake), was located right next to a McDonalds. So people never came for coffee, since they could get it at the McCrappe next door. Most of the customers were parents buying their ten's of thousands of children milkshakes and cookies; retired people, who would always talk about how nothing was any good these days; hippie couples, who would always order muesli with yoghurt and talk about the destruction of the planet due to the coffee machine behind him; but no-one would ever come from Bayview. He got incredibly lonely on the afternoon and night shifts, since there was only him, his 50-year-old supervisor and some 14-year-old Mexican girl who couldn't understand his accent.

Such was the case right now, as Brendan leaned over the counter, head in his hands, staring out at the sun that seemed to be glaring at him through the food court's glass ceiling. People weren't coming into this place, not now, not ever. The only good thing about this damning loneliness was that he got paid by the hour.

Brendan took a deep breath, and went out back, trying to find his supervisor.

"Hey Sue, how long 'till closing time?" Brendan yelled as he leaned out into the small kitchen.

"1 hour!" the voice yelled back. Brendan sighed and resumed back to his position at the counter.

Yawn. Hmm, why am I thinking 'yawn' instead of actually yawning?
[+] The Island
V4: G069 - Clio Gabriella: Hold me closer, tiny dancer; count the headlights on the highway to hell.
V4: G083 - Paige Strand: Feelings don't try to hurt you, even the painful ones. You're responsible for all of the damn consequences.
V4: B118 - Jacob Charles: Every grieving heart has screamed at one time or another 'why can't you just let me die?'
V4: G114 - Aston Bennett: A woman who desires revenge must dig three graves.
V4: B108 - Ma'afu Tuigamala: Most men would rather forget a hard truth than face it.
V5: G015 - Janie Sinneave: Every human being must find her own way to cope with the impossible, and the only job of a true friend is to facilitate whatever method she doesn't choose.
V6: B018 - Maxim Kehlenbrink: Too much self-centered attitude brings isolation. Result: loneliness, fear, anger, and a hammer to the skull.
V7: G044 - Mikki Swift: It takes 18 years to build a reputation and a minute to ruin it.
V7: G070 - Jessica Rennes: Despair is our chance to wrestle with water and fall through.
V7: G075 - Aditi Sharma: She can still scream that rebel yell, just as loud as it was in 2005.
[+] Home
V4: B042 - Brendan Wallace: History has a way of repeating itself for years to come.
Meanwhile...
v5 - Penny Huang: Good girls can make bad decisions.
v5 - Jasper Rourke: Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are, "what could have been".
v7 - Gaelan Meloy: And nothing matters.
v7 - Jordan Brankovich: Rethinking it all.
v7 - Kayden Brockman: Not done yet.
v7 - Ji-hyun Christensen: Just getting started.
[+] Remind Me Tomorrow
Destiny Martinez will live fast and die faster.
Aidan Winston is going to let you know you're not solving anything.
Lara Rodriguez thinks you should keep your opinion on her to yourself.
Peyton Hoffman isn't fond of the PC Police ruining everything.
Lindsey Sewall wants to make sure you drank water today you stupid bitch.
Luke Travers needs to have a code.
I'm hosting a SOTF!
SOTF: International
Applications Open Now!
ifnotwinter†

Post by ifnotwinter† »

((Erik Laurin continued from An Apple A Day))

Erik didn't often have time to go to the mall after school - family sucked up his time (not that he minded exactly, but sometimes - well yeah, sometimes he did mind) and when he wasn't dropping siblings places, preparing meals, patching scrapes and bruises or mediating fights, he was doing homework in a frantic attempt to stay ahead of the game. But Bio had been canceled on this particular Friday, leaving him with a spare period in which to finish a couple of projects. Then his mom had gotten home early with the car, and offered to drive the twins to soccer, giving him a whole evening scot-free.

He had kind of gotten the feeling she'd done it on purpose. His temper was wearing pretty short these days, and he'd been in a bit of a funk ever since Bobby Barron had announced to the whole cafeteria that he was going to prom with Rachel.

Anyway what it all boiled down to was that he had thirty bucks burning a hole in his pocket, a night off, and a birthday - his father's - coming up in just a few weeks. Mall it was, then.

Except when he got there he couldn't find the book he was looking for, and then it struck him that he'd never gotten dinner. Moseying up to the food court, he hesitated in front of the McDonalds and then grimaced, turning away. He'd always been kind of a food snob, raised in the restaurant industry, and the grease and salt, while often sinfully delicious, was more then his conscience could handle.

But he'd forgotten about the little coffee shop/cafe tucked away next to it, and as he ventured inside he realized that he recognized the bored looking boy behind the counter.

"Hey, Brendan! Didn't know you worked here, man."
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler ifnotwinter. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Brackie

Post by Brackie »

"Hey, Brendan! Didn't know you worked here, man."

Brendan was surprised to see someone from Bayview in this cafe, of all places. He was even more surprised to see someone he vaguely recognised. Bayview was a big school, so it wasn't often someone could say that, really. It was Erik Laurin talking to him, and all he knew about Erik was that he had that 'Robin-Hood' thing about him, and that he was incredibly open about his preferences in regard to sexuality, or more bluntly, him being gay.

You know, you could be like that too you know, nothing stopping you. You live in America, not Hickstown Australia.

"Oh, hey Erik. Great to see someone here I know for once. How are you?" Brendan said, smiling. Looking down at the counter, he was briefly reminded; YOU ARE WORKING, YOU HAVE A JOB, DO IT. Maybe not that loud, but still. Brendan grabbed for the nearest menu and handed it lightly to Erik.

"So, what'll you have? Anything that doesn't need cooking is available".

Hmm, what am I supposed to do when speaking to people I know at work? Banter a bit? Cut the chit-chat? My job does depend on it, so...I really have no clue.
[+] The Island
V4: G069 - Clio Gabriella: Hold me closer, tiny dancer; count the headlights on the highway to hell.
V4: G083 - Paige Strand: Feelings don't try to hurt you, even the painful ones. You're responsible for all of the damn consequences.
V4: B118 - Jacob Charles: Every grieving heart has screamed at one time or another 'why can't you just let me die?'
V4: B108 - Ma'afu Tuigamala: Most men would rather forget a hard truth than face it.
V5: G015 - Janie Sinneave: Every human being must find her own way to cope with the impossible, and the only job of a true friend is to facilitate whatever method she doesn't choose.
V6: B018 - Maxim Kehlenbrink: Too much self-centered attitude brings isolation. Result: loneliness, fear, anger, and a hammer to the skull.
V7: G044 - Mikki Swift: It takes 18 years to build a reputation and a minute to ruin it.
V7: G070 - Jessica Rennes: Despair is our chance to wrestle with water and fall through.
V7: G075 - Aditi Sharma: She can still scream that rebel yell, just as loud as it was in 2005.
[+] Home
V4: B042 - Brendan Wallace: History has a way of repeating itself for years to come.
Meanwhile...
v5 - Jasper Rourke: Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are, "what could have been".
[+] Remind Me Tomorrow
I'm hosting a SOTF!
Applications Open Now!
ifnotwinter†

Post by ifnotwinter† »

"Not bad, thanks." Erik grinned, leaning his elbows on the counter and carefully perusing the menu. "It's nice to have a night off."

The cafe had the usual small selection of hot and cold entrees, assorted sandwiches, soups, typical things. He wasn't all that hungry, but the turkey sandwich looked ridiculously good and he could see one languishing in the cooler next to him.

"Turkey sandwich, I think. And maybe an iced tea." He was pretty sure he could get that and still have enough money left over for his dad's birthday present - ah, the joys of siblings actually paying back what they owed.

"Guess there's no chance of a nice guy discount, huh?"
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler ifnotwinter. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Brackie

Post by Brackie »

"Turkey sandwich, I think. And maybe an iced tea."

Brendan grabbed a pen and writing pad from the counter, and jotted down his order. No matter how simple, or unbusy the shop was, orders had to be taken, rules were rules. He was also one of the slowest writers in the world, so the added burden of taking twice as long as anyone else rained down on him as well.

"Guess there's no chance of a nice guy discount, huh?"

Brendan chuckled "No sorry, we'd loose the profits from the bad guy surcharge". BAD JOKE BAD JOKE, ABORT ABORT.

Brendan pushed in all the right numbers on the till, still working slower than normal, and the right price jumped out at him.

"Okay, that's 7 dollars 50, and it'll be ready in a few minutes," Brendan said. He took the order, and went out to the back kitchen bench to start preparation.

As he got together the ingredients and started preparation, he used this time to think. Other times, it was about how much he should catch up on that night. Or whether he would actually catch up the people he met somehow. But today he was thinking about something he rarely even considered. Whether he should come out about his bisexuality. Really, it was kind of a random time to think about it, but honestly, it was something that really warranted a small pondering.

Well, it's not the worst idea in the world. I mean, look at Erik. When you meet someone like that, do you instantly know he's gay? Moreso, do you care? I mean, people don't know me that well, and if they did, I'm pretty sure that, well, they wouldn't care. It's not like it's the 50's anymore, people couldn't really give a flying fuck.

Brendan finally finished the sandwich, and his decision. He put it to the side of the drink making section of the bench, and tried to find out how to make an iced tea. He read the little recipes that were scattered around, and found the recipe. Brendan went over to the fridge, took a pitcher with cold tea in it, and halfway back to the bench, he realised he had no idea what to serve it in.

A mug? A teacup? A glass? Oh, wait, a glass sounds about right.

Brendan took a medium glass from the fridge, where they were kept cool, but then realised one important factor. How did one present an iced tea? Maybe some ice? An orange wedge? He walked over to the freezer and took out a tray of crushed ice. He also looked through the fridge, and found a bowl of thinly cut orange wedges. He took both of them, prepared the drink, and decorated the glass to standard. Basic standard was all.

Finally finished, Brendan took a knife, fork, and napkin, and took the sandwich on a plate to the table where Erik was sitting.

"Okay, a Turkey sandwich, and I'll just get your drink," Brendan said as placed the plate down. He went back, got the drink, and placed it down as well.

"Anything else you need?" Brendan asked. Secretly, he wanted Erik to say yes, just SOMETHING to get him away from doing absolutely nothing here. The boredom was enough to kill him.
[+] The Island
[+] Home
Meanwhile...
[+] Remind Me Tomorrow
I'm hosting a SOTF!
Applications Open Now!
ifnotwinter†

Post by ifnotwinter† »

Erik fumbled through his wallet as Brenden disappeared into the kitchen, eventually prying a five and four singles. Placing the money on the counter - he was the only person here as a customer, he figured it wasn't a big deal - he sat at a nearby table, propping his legs up on the nearest chair and putting his hands behind his head.

He didn't know Brenden that well, but he what he did know suggested the smaller boy was pretty nice. He tended to keep to himself, although Erik had a sneaking suspicion that he'd joined a band. Brenden didn't really stand out, but he'd never bothered Erik and he didn't think he'd ever heard a bad word about him.

After a few minutes Brenden emerged from the kitchen with his sandwich and a glass of iced tea that was - more artistic then Erik was expecting, although he appreciated it. He hesitated then, before asking Erik if there was anything else he needed, and Erik had to stifle a small smile because Brenden wasn't exactly being stealthy.

"I'd love some company," he said in response, taking his feet off the seat and pushing it lightly in Brenden's direction. "Must be pretty boring in here on the slow nights."
Brackie

Post by Brackie »

"I'd love some company".

Oh how awesome.

Erik then took his feet off the seat opposite and pushed it towards Brendan. Brendan took this as an offer to sit down, and did so.

If Sue badgers me, I'll make up a very witty sarcastic reply as to how there is, really, a secret society of old ladies who don't go to sleep at 2 in the afternoon who go around checking coffee shops and trying to catch them unawares. How should I say it though? Maybe lau-Brendan, focus here.

"Must be pretty boring in here on the slow nights."

"Yep. You're probably rush hour," Brendan said, smiling slightly. He wasn't really sure what to say, really. Brendan was a total fuck-up when it came to speaking to other people, so Brendan asked generic question number 1.

"So, uh...how are things?"

Always the interesting conversationalist, Brendan.
[+] The Island
[+] Home
Meanwhile...
[+] Remind Me Tomorrow
I'm hosting a SOTF!
Applications Open Now!
ifnotwinter†

Post by ifnotwinter† »

Erik had to suppress a smile at Brenden's slightly awkward attempt at conversation, which honestly wasn't that hard given that he had a mouthful of sandwich. Hastily swallowing it and washing it down with the iced tea, he shook his head, somewhat guiltily brushing crumbs from his mouth.

"Not bad, not bad. Nervous for exams, getting," the corner of his mouth quirked in something like a deprecating smile, "excited for Prom, I guess."

Not excited to see Bobby, although - he'll be happy. Wasn't like he was ever interested, anyway.

"You make a good sandwich, by the way."
Brackie

Post by Brackie »

"Not bad, not bad. Nervous for exams, getting-"

Huh? Getting what?

Well at least let him finish the sentence first, wise-ass.

"-excited for Prom, I guess."

Brendan looked at Erik's face as he said this. The amount excitement shown on his face could be stored in a thimble.

Someone's got a problem. Maybe he got rejected or something. Hmm...I don't really know him that well, so...would it be rude to ask?

"You make a good sandwich, by the way."

Brendan smiled when he said that. He never got complimented like that at home, or here. Well, maybe because he never spoke to the customers. Quite the boring lot of people.

"Well thanks. You're probably one of the only people who thinks so," Brendan said, his smile still on his face.

Why the hell do all my conversations end like this? He says something, I say something, and BAM! Ended.

Brendan looked down at the table, and back up at Erik. He decided to become a bit more inquisitive. He went out on a limb, and asked something he told himself he wasn't supposed to ask.

"You know, you looked kind of down before. Something wrong?"
[+] The Island
[+] Home
Meanwhile...
[+] Remind Me Tomorrow
I'm hosting a SOTF!
Applications Open Now!
ifnotwinter†

Post by ifnotwinter† »

Erik laughed at Brendan's comment about his sandwiches, raising an eyebrow and leaning back. "I find that hard to believe - you're definitely one of the great sandwich artists of our time."

At the second comment though, he shook his head, face still twisted in a wry smile. "Honestly, no. Got my hopes up for something that I really shouldn't have. Nothing too important."
Brackie

Post by Brackie »

"Honestly, no. Got my hopes up for something that I really shouldn't have. Nothing too important."

Really, if Erik hadn't elaborated, then Brendan wouldn't have asked, but Erik had to be troubled by something, right? There was something going on behind those blue eyes.

"Well...what happened?" Brendan asked.

Fuck, what happened to being unintrusive?

"I...don't wanna intrude or anything, but I...sorry, it's...I'll just be quiet now." Brendan tried to avoid his eye contact.

He probably thinks I'm weird now, wonderful.
[+] The Island
[+] Home
Meanwhile...
[+] Remind Me Tomorrow
I'm hosting a SOTF!
Applications Open Now!
ifnotwinter†

Post by ifnotwinter† »

"Seriously, it's no biggie." Erik scrunched his nose at the smaller boy, then bent to the more serious business of sandwich-devouring. Although large and well-stuffed, it was gone in another four or five bites, and he licked his fingers happily.

"Mmmm, nothing so delicious as a dinner someone else made, brought to me, and will have to do the dishes for. Perfecto."
Brackie

Post by Brackie »

(OOC: So, so, so, so, sooo sorry for the wait. Real life and writers block got in the way)

"Mmmm, nothing so delicious as a dinner someone else made, brought to me, and will have to do the dishes for. Perfecto."

Brendan managed a weak smile at the casual response. Lovely, cleaning up. He probably shouldn't ruin the joke and tell him that it was Ellie who did most of the cleaning up, and it was a good thing he didn't do that exact thing.

Now really, here was where Brendan felt the most awkward. That little nagging feeling at the back of his mind was twitching like a spastic eel again, and this time it was unignorable. Brendan had something he wanted to ask, for more reasons than one. He had time to think about this during the awkward silence that followed.

"Um, yeah okay, well, I was wondering if...um, you were doing anything later this week? I mean, around the weekend?"

Wow. Just...wow, that was...very very not subtle. I can't honestly believe that you jumped from "light banter" to "WANNA GO OUT?" Way to go Brendan.

Way.

To.

Go.
[+] The Island
[+] Home
Meanwhile...
[+] Remind Me Tomorrow
I'm hosting a SOTF!
Applications Open Now!
ifnotwinter†

Post by ifnotwinter† »

((ooc: no problemo chica! take all the time you need, it's cool))

"Ooh." Erik hesitated, trying to bring his schedule to mind. He knew he was working at least one of the nights at the restaurant, although they had a lot of staff right now and he was pretty sure his dad wouldn't have an issue with him cancelling if he gave a good reason. And honestly, with all the stuff he did around the house, having a social life would probably count as a good reason.

He distracted himself for a moment with a sip of iced tea, then shrugged. "I don't think so, but uh, I honestly can't completely remember right now. Why?"
Brackie

Post by Brackie »

Shit, shit, shit, shit, shitcakes. Okay, how unsubtle, just stupid, why the hell did I jump from that to that? I'm an idiot, a real idiot. They should stack me in an idiot hall of fame and pay some fancy-shmancy wog tourists 10 wog dollars to see me. Brendan Wallace. Moment killer. An idiot who doesn't know how to ask ANYONE out. EVER.

Well, it might not of been as bad as that, but still, the way Brendan's voice suddenly went up half a key should have been an early indicator. Okay, so it really did sound like the seemingly normal straight guy was asking out one of the school's nicest guys, but really, he knew how to change that. Would it be better if he said he wasn't going alone? Make it sound a lot less like a date than it really is?

"Well, I'm going with some friends to the movies. We're going to see that new Sci-Fi flick. And, well, I was," Brendan paused for a moment to try and choose his words carefully "...wondering if you wanted to come?"
[+] The Island
[+] Home
Meanwhile...
[+] Remind Me Tomorrow
I'm hosting a SOTF!
Applications Open Now!

Return to “The Food Court”