Life is a Game

Open

The school campus is very well maintained. The grass is always kept neat and short, and the hedges around the school are always kept trimmed. The sports fields are all in immaculate condition, and a nice quad area has been set up for the students outside, with tables, chairs, and a gazebo.
MurderWeasel

Life is a Game

Post by MurderWeasel »

((Aaron Hughes continued from Watch the Sky))

Aaron Hughes was sitting under the gazebo in the quad area of the school grounds, flipping through a large book. Aaron had an empty block this period, which gave him too much time to just sit around but too little time to go anywhere.

He had a portable chessboard sitting next to him, along with several multi-sided dice. Aaron was hoping one of his friends would wander by, or, better yet, that someone he didn't know would ask him about the chessboard. Aaron liked chess, as long as he was able to hold his own against his opponent, and he was looking for a challenger. Ideally, he wanted one who didn't know much about chess.

The book was a Dungeons and Dragons rulebook. Aaron was leafing through it, trying to figure out some new combination of abilities that would break the game. If he found some new overpowered combo, he could post it on the internet and maybe earn a little respect.

Well, probably not at this school, Aaron thought. He did not have a high opinion of most of Bayview's student body. His fellow students were rude, unsophisticated, and unable to appreciate imagination. They were also infuriatingly impulsive. Aaron liked to plan things, not make them up on the fly. He hated group projects more than anything, because he always ended up with people who wanted to "wing things". Aaron couldn't improvise well, and usually ended up looking like an idiot in groups.

He sighed and turned his attention back to his book. There was no point getting worked up about things in the past.
SRJJJB†

Post by SRJJJB† »

Rein walk by just whistling. It wasn't uncommon for him to be alone with Elaine but it was indeed rare for him to be walking without one of his friends. But today was one of those days when Rein was alone. The german look at the loner sitting at the gazebo. Rein look around but didn't see anyone leaving or coming and guess the guy was alone. Rein shrug and took to himself to talk to the guy. He enjoyed befriending others and didn't mind a chit-chat. Walking ahead he called up to the guy

"Hey you! In de gazebo hov's it going?" he asked with his german accent. He look at what the kid was doing and saw a chessboard and a book. Probably one of those role playing or a board games. "Name's Rein Bumgarner actually, yours?" he asked giving out his hand to shake as it was the polite thing to do.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler SRJJJB. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

Aaron looked up when he heard the voice. The broken English grated on him for a second, but then he realized that the speaker was foreign, and calmed down. In fact, the boy standing before Aaron had a very cool accent. Aaron was reminded of the accent one of his friends used when he played a dwarf in Dungeons and Dragons, only this accent was authentic.

"Name's Rein Bumgarner actually, yours?" the boy asked.

Aaron found himself grinning. The boy's accent was absolutely marvelous. He wondered if he could replicate it.

"I'm Aaron Hughes. In response to your previous question, I am doing very well today, thank you. How are you doing?"

Aaron reached out and took Rein's hand, giving it a shake.
SRJJJB†

Post by SRJJJB† »

Rein look at the Aaron and his clothing. The boy was wearing a shirt with some sort of term that Rein heard before while in hallways and sometimes from his best-friend. His hair was a mess which bug Rein a bit but he let it go. Rein himself was wearing a muscle shirt and shorts. He also wore bandages on his arms from a recent accident that Rein couldn't help but smile at. He shook the smile away before Aaron would notice and heard Aaron asking him how he was

"Fery goot dank you" he said with his accent as always

He again too a look over what Aaron was doing with the game manual and the chess board and raise a eyebrow and ask "So vhat are you toing?" he ask "Are you vaiting for someone or just seeking a opponent?" he ask and sat there himself wondering if this kid was one of loner that get's rejected by everyone for his interest. The thought of it anger Rein who hated such actions.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler SRJJJB. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

"I was just sitting here reading," Aaron responded, "but I kept the chess board out in case someone who knew how to play came along. So, I guess I am sort of seeking an opponent."

Aaron looked Rein over. The thing that most interested Aaron was the bandages on Rein's arm. He wondered what they were from. They started Aaron's imagination going. With his accent and appearance, Rein practically screamed adventure to Aaron. He could imagine the boy as a werewolf or something. Aaron almost got out some paper to take notes, but then he realized he had left the conversation hanging a little awkwardly.

"Um... Do you play? If you do, I would love to have a match. Here," Aaron gestured across from him, "have a seat if you'd like."

Aaron hoped Rein would stay. It would give him more time to study the boy for possible insertion into a game. Or maybe he could convince Rein to actually join one of his gaming groups. Aaron kept smiling, and waited for the boy's response.
SRJJJB†

Post by SRJJJB† »

Rein nodded "Yes my tat has show me how to play" he said and then responded to Aaron request to sit down.

The German sat down on the chair and started to wonder why the boy was eying him in such a way. He notice the boy was looking at his arms and he slightly grin. Judging by what the boy was doing he properly was wondering different reasons why Rein was wearing these bandages.

"Dere just from a recent accitent. I rip most of my skin off dat's all" he said "It was pretty fun to." Rein meant the pain part the most

Looking at the chess board Rein notice he was white. He look to Aaron and said "Goot luck to bot of us." With this he grab the pawn at e2 then move it to e4. Rein knew this was a standard opening for chess and was his dad's favorite opening. Looking at Aaron again Rein could only presume that this boy was going to kick his ass. He also wanted to start a conversation and decided to ask about the book "What game manual is that?" he ask.
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

Rein sat down across from Aaron, and explained his injuries in a way that didn't really clear anything up. He was being so mysterious. Aaron was fascinated. He almost didn't want to know what had caused Rein's injuries. No explanation could live up to the potential circumstances Aaron could imagine.

Rein sat down and moved the pawn in front of his king forward two spaces. Then he asked, "What game manual is that?"

"It's for a game called 'Dungeons and Dragons'," Aaron explained, "It's a roleplaying game. You take on the roles of knights and dwarves and elves and various other fantasy creatures, and then you go on quests. It's a game about imagination. You play it with many polyhedral dice."

Aaron smiled, and moved the pawn in front of his king two spaces forward, to match Rein's (E7 to E5).
MK Kilmarnock

Post by MK Kilmarnock »

((Ivan Kuznetsov's entrance))

The day was a little too long, the halls a little too crowded, and the school in general more than a little too noisy. Ivan was glad to finally be outdoors where he wasn't liable to bump into people left and right. Racket in hand, he was ready to do what he loved most and performed best at. On his way to the court, however, he had to pass by the gazebo. Even if his love for one game was strong, it had to conflict with another on occasion. This conflict happened, in this particular instance, at the unmistakable sight of a chessboard.

Seeing only one person, Ivan's feet began to pull him in the direction of the person with the board. However, the boy's relatively cleared and lightened mood clouded up once more as he watched the arrival of another person. He was still at least one hundred fifty feet away as this happened; far too slow to join the game. Ivan's feet diverted in their path slightly, appearing as though headed for the entrance to the gazebo. Behind the green-tinted lenses of his glasses, however, his eyes never moved from Aaron and Rein.

Eventually, Ivan made his approach to the two from behind Aaron, watching over his left shoulder at a distance of five feet. Some people didn't like to be watched, including him, but he hoped that Aaron wouldn't mind; even when he wasn't playing, Ivan loved to watch a good game.
SRJJJB†

Post by SRJJJB† »

(Sorry for holding both of you up, was busy with life, please forgive me)

Aaron explain to Rein what Dungeon and Dragons and he couldn't help but wonder if the game was based off Lord of the rings or something. He never heard of roleplaying before and this was something new to him. A game of imagination? Completely new to him.

"Tell me Aaron is dis Tungeon and... Tragons right? Is dis game played on a console or someding? I ton't quite knov vhat you mean about roleplaying and imagination" he asked a bit confuse "Ant vhat is de tice for?"

He notice Aaron move his pawn in front of his king to match Rein move. With this the boy decided he wanted to try something different and grab his bishop and move it three squares diagonally left (or right in Aaron's case) [F1 to F4] and before he release the Bishop he notice a new kid appear behind Aaron and wonder what he was doing

"Velcome to our game" he said the the new boy "I'm Rein ant you are?"
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

(Hey, no problem. Thanks for posting!)

Aaron laughed as Rein asked if Dungeons and Dragons was played on a console.

"No, it's played with a pencil and paper, and sometimes miniatures. It's sort of like writing a story mixed with playing a board game. The dice are for randomly determining the outcomes of actions."

Aaron moved his queen two squares to his left (Rein's right, D8-F6). He was a little worried by Rein's bishop. He hoped Rein wasn't trying what it looked like he was.

Rein said something to someone behind Aaron, causing Aaron to jump. He looked over his shoulder, and saw the newcomer. Aaron recognized him from Chess Club; he was pretty sure he'd lost to the guy in the past. He couldn't remember his name, though.

"Greetings," Aaron said, "You're welcome to sit down, if you want. We're just getting started."

He didn't introduce himself. There was no point looking like an idiot if he already knew the boy. With luck, he would introduce himself to Rein and Aaron could pretend that he had known his name all along. He might even care enough to remember it this time.
MK Kilmarnock

Post by MK Kilmarnock »

((No problem here, either. On a side-note, this is my second time posting this whole thing.... the site ate itself as I tried to submit it last time. As such, it may be short.))

Ivan had been too busy studying the pieces on either side of the field to pay too much attention to the fact that there was actually a player on either side of the board. Rein's adressing of him was the vessel that broke this state of mind, shattering Ivan's compulsive planning and bringing him back to a state of awareness; he was back in front of a chessboard with two people, both of which were talking to him.

The first response Ivan could muster was not much of a response. Rather, his muscles completely locked up for a few seconds. As this included his jaw, he took on the appearance of somebody who was highly unamused by something, even pissed off. "...A... I..." He appearance wore off as Ivan made an active effort to slacken up his face and body. Relegating himself to leaning up against the side of the gazebo to watch the game from there, stammering with a few failed attempts at speaking, he finally answered Rein's question with a simple "Ivan." He spoke quietly but clearly, apparently not a fan of mumbling with how he enunciated everything.

There was no further response from Ivan apart from small movements, such as pushing up his glasses or rubbing underneath his nose. He had never met this 'Rein' fellow before, but Aaron he had played a few games of chess with. He never paid attention to the people he played with as much as their pieces, though. As such, the only thing he had to go off of for Aaron was that he played a mean game. In order to reduce some of his social awkwardness, Ivan did his best to just zone out and focus on the pieces on the board rather than either player once more.
ifnotwinter†

Post by ifnotwinter† »

((Jacquard Broughten continued from The New Face of Zero and One))

Jacquard had a free period after her calculus class, and for once, instead of spending it in the library, she decided to wander outside. It was a nice day, after all, and she could appreciate fresh air even if the majority of the students made her shake her head in irritation.

So she was pleasantly surprised to find a small group of boys apparently playing chess. Her bag slung over her shoulder, she made her way over, watching for a long moment without saying anything.

Then, putting her bag down and shifting her weight so she could gesture with her cane, she spoke. "I wouldn't move that knight if I were you."
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler ifnotwinter. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

((Sorry to break post order, but it's been a while, and Aaron's not in the right frame of mind to make a game move right now anyways.))

Things were going so well. Aaron was pretty sure he had countered Rein's strategy, and was well on his way to winning the match. He knew Ivan probably knew exactly what he was doing, but that didn't matter. Heck, if he pulled this off, the boy (who had identified himself as Ivan) might even realize how good Aaron was at chess. Maybe he could put his reputation in chess club back together a little.

Aaron was not the most popular member of chess club. This was largely due to his tendency to use a four turn win technique, known as the Scholar's Mate, whenever given the chance. Aaron needed things to be planned, and that plan worked well. He knew it was considered a basic tactic, but he didn't care. He knew it had driven a couple of freshmen who were new to the game away from the club, but he didn't care. If they couldn't take the pressure, they didn't belong in chess club.

Aaron hated losing, but he always came back. Sometimes it took a few weeks, but he always came around and forgave the morons in chess club, who took some sort of glee in beating him using unfair strategies.

Aaron was watching Rein contemplate his next move, when a shadow fell over the chess board. Aaron looked up and saw a girl standing there. She gestured with her cane, and said, "I wouldn't move that knight if I were you."

Aaron didn't know who she was talking to. He didn't care. The girl was Jacquard something or other. She was a member of chess club, like Aaron, and had beat once before, easily countering his technique with an unfair strategy of her own. Aaron had been so upset and humiliated that he had avoided playing her again, though he doubted she had even noticed. He had been content to leave her alone, but here she was now, interfering. If she was talking to Rein, she was trying to thwart Aaron and humiliate him; if she was talking to Aaron, she was trying to steal his credit for a match easily won.

Aaron knew that some students didn't like him. He was too far from the norm for them, too unique, too imaginative, too talented. This was the most blatant evidence he had faced in some time, though.

Aaron knew he was probably flushing red, and likely about to lose his cool, so he took a deep breath, not to calm himself, but to plan his counterattack. A plan was always good.

"Jacquard," he said, calmly enough, "I'm so glad to see you taking an interest in our game. This is Rein, and this is Ivan."

Aaron was speaking relatively quickly and continuously, hoping to prevent anyone else from cutting him off.

"I would think one as versed in chess as you would be aware of the etiquette surrounding a match, being that you don't give advice. Ever. Especially if one of the players is a rival. However, as you are evidently woefully ignorant of basic courtesy and formality, I'll make it crystalline clear for you.

"I don't want you meddling. I know you hate me. I know you have your reasons, I would feel a twinge of jealousy too if I were you..."

At this point, Aaron paused for a second. He had been doing so well. His mental script had sounded clear and precise. Unfortunately, he had been talking faster than he had been thinking. Without another witty and erudite line, he flailed, lost control, and fell back on the sort of primal skills he himself had been subjected to by bullies in elementary school. He started to shout.

"Look! I understand that you're crippled, but even that doesn't mean you can be stupid! You can't just walk around fucking people's fun up because you want to!"
MK Kilmarnock

Post by MK Kilmarnock »

A situation with multiple people, even just two people that he wasn't fully familiar with, was something that was very uncomfortable to Ivan. Yet, his interest in chess was enough for him to come over and enjoy watching a little game. Watching other games was not an activity he took part in often and, though boring in an obvious way, there was a subtle enjoyment to be found. He didn't have to think or worry about winning or losing; watching a game of chess was merely an activity of enjoyment, and he could appricate every move made rather than loathe half of them simply because his opponent made them. These benefits meant that watching a game of chess between two strangers, while again uncomfortable, was well worth the sacrifice of such company. At least... it was.

The boy tensed up almost right away as soon as this third person, a girl with a cane showed up. Ivan never really even took the time to look her over; simply the fact that she had showed up drove him to further annoyance. The first sign of such agitation showed up through the clenching of his jaw. This followed through with the tightening of his shoulders, his hands folding behind his back, and his eyes darting back and forth from person to person underneath his emerald glasses.

Still, even with Jacquard (who, upon closer examination, he recognized vaguely as a face in chess club) showing up, enough concentration would allow him to just focus on the pieces on the board. At least it was still quiet...

"I wouldn't move that knight if I were you."

Well, bang went that environment. For anybody who played chess long enough, the rules of general game etiquette would be easily recognizable and identifiable. Aiding players in a game, unless for the express purpose of teaching a new player against a far more gifted opponent, was nearly always a very rude thing to do. Seeing this done so flagrantly lowered Ivan's brow. The blonde boy was about to turn and say something to the girl before, in so many words, Aaron beat it to him. The rapid change in volume of the area was bad enough.... but the end of the tirade, where Aaron had run out of things to say and skipped ahead to a full-on assault, was the finishing blow. Ivan couldn't be there anymore.

Unfolding his hands from behind him and pushing off the side of the gazebo, Ivan's breaths became huffy and audibly angry as he bent to pick up his bookbag and tennis bag. Slinging both over his body, he took a moment to stare at Aaron directly.

"... You are a massive tool." He spat before sliding his heels ninety degrees to the left and walking away, making a large effort to step lightly. Stomping would be a very tacky way to exit...

((Ivan Kuznetsov continued in Chain-link fence, open sky))
SRJJJB†

Post by SRJJJB† »

Rein watch carefully the moves Aaron reaction and started to plot out the next move. He wasn't a regular chess player and only played once and a while with his father so he doubted he could win against a regular. At least he could avoid the four move and other stupid actions. In all honesty Rein really didn't like chess. Sure it made the brain think but it lack the adrenaline rush that more dangerous activities would do.

"I wouldn't move that knight if I were you."

This took out Rein from his thoughts. He didn't notice the newcomer and watch the new girl make a comment. Aaron soon reply before Rein could greet himself. At the mention of his name he replied "Hello Jacquard". Before he could add another word Aaron quickly cut him off with a rapid train of words. Rein watch as Aaron soon started disciplining Jacquard and look at Ivan for his thoughts. The boy just lower his eyebrows and stayed silent

I guess he's the quiet type Rein thought

Looking back at Aaron the boy was finish a phrase when he stop. A few seconds afterward he suddenly exploded and made a direct blow to Jacquard disability. This was more then Rein would allow and he notice Ivan too share thoughts as he said something and spat at Aaron's way and dash off.

Rein head race with thoughts. He had to keep the situation calm. He would only have a few seconds to say something before Jacques herself reacts. With this he knocks his king down and replied

"I've notice we have a hostile atmosphere here due to this game correct? It seems Aaron you do not like people interfering in our game so why not make it in a more private situation next timed and stop this one before you two ruin this day." he said trying to calm Aaron down. "And Aaron Jacques was just trying to help! My god you can't tell me you never whisper a move to someone in a friendly match? I do not see this as a tournament but a simple friendly game. If your talented as you say you should be able to take both of us. After all I rarely play and apparently Jacques is... Inferior to you if that what you want to say." He took a pause for breath and started again "And by inferior I mean chess skills. Her disability is not sign of weakness but a sign of immense strength for people like her are our equals even if they have a disadvantage." He said and again took a breath. He was making sure to talk faster then either could reply. He then face Jacques and started to talk "I apologize on my friend's behalf. He had a bad week and he's not all there so please forgive him." At this point he hoped that Jacques would understand to not overreact and move on or else this could become dangerous. "If you like Jacques, we could go for a walk. You seem to have some free time and I could use someone to discuss the latest news. Also Aaron meet me here after your courses. We can set up another match a later time with no interference or you can show me this... D&D thing..." Rein took a last deep breath and look at the two and hoped he stop the fuse. "I hope both of you understand?" He ask with a smile

Return to “Campus”