Life Wasted

Open

Located on the first floor of the school building, the language arts wing houses all the school's English, Spanish, and other foreign language classes. The Principal's office is also in this area.
Parzel†

Life Wasted

Post by Parzel† »

Kent's teeth crunched on the end of the pencil which sat in his hand, flouting through the tough wood and reaching the lead centre. He stared perplexedly at the worksheet which laid on the faded wooden desk He ran his finger smoothly down the page on the parts he was reading. Shakespeare, a man on the top of Kent's hate list. He observed around the putrid classroom, the students which sat around him were engrossed on their papers, their hands clenching onto pencils as they swiftly wrote out their work.

Why does Shakespeare matter anyway? I'm not English nor do I like poetry, so why should I have to do this!?

He lifted his wrist to his face and sighed to himself as he watched the thin delicate hands move towards the large number twelve which stood dominantly at the top. Time gradually went slower the more he looked so he diverted his attention somewhere new. The classrooms walls were badly decorated with students work; most of it was half-ripped and abstractly placed on the wall like no one cared about it. Which was true, nobody did care about the appearance of the room, Kent didn't either, but he was so bored that all he had was the scenery around him. The floors were encrusted with rubbish and various dispersed spots of stains coated the light crimson carpet below him.. The Languages Faculty were the worse, everything in there was a complete mess

Kent gripped the edge of his table then jerked away, a small piece of old sodden chewing gum was stuck to his fingers. Defiantly fresh, they had only been in the classroom for around ten minutes, must have been the last class. He placed his hands in this pocket, finding a small packet of chewing gum; he slid out one and rapidly popped it into his mouth, slicing it with his incisors and then slowly chewing it with the rest of his teeth, a refreshing mint flavor tickled his tongue and raced around his mouth and into his throat.

The Teacher looked at him contemptuously. Kent hadn't even remembered his name; the teacher was new to the school and had picked up his class. His eyes pierced Kent's own as he deeply frowned. He slowly walked towards him, behind him a ball of paper flew past, hitting a young girl at the front on the head, the class chuckled. The teacher turned around to see the fuss. Kent had gotten out of that one; he took the pencil out of his mouth, most of the bottom half now eroded and discoloured. He placed it on the paper and wrote a few lines on what he was doing, most of in an illiterate rush so he doesn't get another detention, he was sick of detentions.

"Let's see how much you've done then" The teacher snarled, leaning over his shoulder his eyes scanned the piece of crumpled paper and the symbols which were supposed to represent letters.

"Not Good Enough Mr. Chirper, You're a clever boy, and this is something I defiantly don't expect" Kent rolled his eyes, he had heard it all before, his mind was just not in the right place today though. It had drifted away a while ago, he gazed out of the window, wishing he was free from the tyranny of Shakespeare.

"Sorry sir" He said, in a semi-sarcastic manner as he began to write again, this time much neater.

"Just get it done, or else..." He stepped back, and continued scoping across the class. He had ordered that everyone be silent for most of the lesson, otherwise he'd have them all in detention throughout the entire recess. Kent continued to write, although slightly disgruntled at the work and the person teaching it. He stared out of the window again, swiftly loosing intrest in the assignment. What'd he do to be away from this class, its not that he didn't like English, he just hated working on Shakespeare. His mind was elsewear, he was doing a small tournament in Tennis, and thus he was anxious to get there.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Parzel. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
GameMaker†

Post by GameMaker† »

'Mr. Burton, in Romeo and Juliet, what exactly does Mercutio mean when he says 'a plague on both houses'?' Omar smiled. He'd read Romeo and Juliet quite a few times, though not as many as some of his other favorite Shakespeare plays. It was an interesting tale- and more importantly, a tragedy. Omar only ever was interested in Shakespeare's tragedies; in his opinion, they were by far his best work.

'Mr. Goodman, I believe that Mercutio means to say that he hates the feud between the Montagues and the Capulets. It's a pointless, meaningless affair, and he was killed merely because he was friends with Romeo, a Montague.' Omar laughed. 'Basically, Mr. Goodman, I'd say that it's Shakespeare's way of having Mercutio stick his middle finger to the world.'

'And what do you think Mercutio thinks of Romeo?' said Mr. Goodman. 'When he curses 'both houses', do you believe he wants to curse Romeo too?'

'Oh, of course he does. When Mercutio died, what did Romeo do to help him? Sure, he's gonna avenge him by killing Tybalt, Mercutio's murderer, but that doesn't help Mercution at all.' Omar's smile was gone now. This was something he had thought of quite a few times, and he always came to the same conclusion. 'In my opinion, Mr. Goodman, watching your best friends die is just as bad as killing them.'
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler GameMaker. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Namira

Post by Namira »

Shakespeare. Oh the joys of barely comprehensible old English.

To say that Bounce was not enjoying herself would be to sell how bad her mood was incredbily short. She was doing her work, sure enough, but no more than the bare minimum than she knew would be required to get by. School was a bore, no more than that. Bounce was a huge freeloader, she knew, since her parents covered most everything she needed but why should she care? Bounce would do quite well enough in life without knowing why Romeo stabbed Juliet... or whatever.

Bounce wrote down a meaningless sentence or two to give off the appearance that she was paying attention, then went back to staring into space, planning out in exactly what order she would visit the websites she frequented when she got home.

"Miss Volkova!" Goodman's sharp tone went some way to making Bounce's mood worse, especially with the use of her surname. There was a reason she went by Bounce.

"Yes sir?"

"What exactly are you doing?" Bounce sighed and removed her hand from its place propping up her chin, straightening up and directing her attention to the teacher.

"I am contemplating the increasingly extreme actions of Romeo as he begins to sacrifice yet more merely due to his love of Juliet, and whether how he behaves could be concluded as foolish, or simply passionate. Mr. Goodman," Bounce smiled politely and Goodman rolled his eyes, looked for somebody else to pick on. She didn't have a clue what exactly she had just told her teacher, but it had sounded good enough, and that was all that mattered.

Bounce began calculating just how long it would be before she could get out of school and finally start enjoying the day.
Badb†

Post by Badb† »

Dom Hoffman sat towards the back of the Class, reading a magazine.

God I hate English, So Godda- Dom's trail of thought was abruptly cut off by Mr. Goodman walking over to him.

"Mr. Hoffman"

FUCK! Dom scrambled through his book for any and all notes he'd written down.

"Seeing as you haven't been paying attention, Mr. Hoffman. I'll give you an easy question."

Dominic straightened up in his chair, now paying attention to what Mr. Goodman was saying.

"What does Romeo mean when he says 'O, I am fortune's fool!'?"

"That's a bit Patronising, my cousin could do this one" Dom looked at the book, and back up at Mr. Goodman. "He thinks fate's toying with him, like he's in some huge game."

"Very Good" Said Mr. Goodman Sarcastically, "Pay Attention Next Time, Mr. Hoffman"

Mr. Goodman walked away and Dom sunk back into his chair, opening his magazine up again as soon as Goodman wasn't looking at him. Prick.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the former handler Badb.
blastinus

Post by blastinus »

Hmph. They call this art? It's like this 'Bard' character didn't know a way to end a story other than, 'Everybody dies, woohoo!'

Having finished most of his paper already, Harold Fisher simply held it out and took some time to stare at the questions. "Compare and Contrast the characters of Tybalt and Mercutio," said one. Harold's immediate thought had just been to write, "They die in the same scene, and Romeo's an idiot," but he knew that such an answer wasn't A material, so he grudgingly wrote out more details. He knew the play inside and out, after giving it a complete read and subsequently not picking it up again, but it just seemed so dull writing about a pair of fools in a world full of fools who did foolish things and died in a horrendously foolish manner.

Do it for mum, Harold. You can purge your mind of the matter once you're finished.

Hesitantly, Harold placed the paper back down on his desk and bent down over it again. His messy hair, previously flopped back from him leaning back in his seat, now fell over his eyes. Used to this, though, he simply pushed it aside, and began to write the answer to this scintillating question, "What lesson does Romeo and Juliet give about the meaning of true love?"

That true love results in you losing 100 IQ points?

"Romeo and Juliet's relationship with one another is a message of determination," he wrote with a sigh. "Despite society and life's circumstances doing their best to come between this couple, they are still connected by a bond..."

If only this teacher was a little more open-minded. I would let him know what I really think about Romeo and Juliet's idea of love. I know what true love is, and true love does not involve suicide. That's called co-dependence, and most psychologists agree that people who act like that don't need sympathy. They need help. Oh well, whatever gets an A.

*Twenty minutes later*

It seemed that Dr. Goodman had a double treat for the class today. Not only did they get to do a test, but the remaining time was spent discussing whatever the test didn't cover. If one good thing could be said about Goodman, it was that he didn't mind making sure everyone knew the material before moving on. This allowed Harold a little time to sit back and think about other things. The other students would catch on some day, and then he would sit up again. In the meantime...

"Mr. Fisher!" So much for that. Looking over to Harold, Dr. Goodman asked, "What do you think is the meaning of Romeo and Juliet?"

"Obviously," said Harold without leaning forward, "to make money. Playwrights make plays to entertain and bring in crowds, and so the plays don't have to mean anything."

"Sorry, wrong," the teacher replied. "Anyone else?" Harold simply shrugged and rolled his eyes.
Parzel†

Post by Parzel† »

Kent smirked at Burton's answers as he slumped into the pathetic chair and began leaning against the weak plastic that was holding him up. As Omar began to go into detail about a few characters Kent didn't care for he closed his eyes, wishing he could go to sleep right there.

"Yeah... We all really care about that..." Kent said sardonically and loud enough for the class to hear. He looked instantly to Omar and grinning slightly to him, leaning back on the chair as he did so. A lot of things pissed him off in that class, the fact that the teacher addressed everyone by the last name, like he was some sort of high and powerful man, and the fact that it had wormy little morons like Burton in it.

"Dick." He muttered to himself, although making it audible to some around him. The teacher began harassing a few other students, who muttered out answers which made little sense even to Kent. He leant over, and raised his voice to a girl who sat near him, her name was Bounce.

"Hey, How long we got" Although a clock hung right above the board, he was too lazy to look, he was mainly using it as an excuse to talk to someone and get himself out of boredom. The teacher went around grilling some more students. Kent sighed to himself, preying that there wasn't much time left. He looked down to his paper, half a page filled with mostly illiterate notes and a small sketch of a stick-man on fire. He smirked at his own creation, slipping another slot of gum between his lips and sucking its minty taste away.

The sooner I get out of here the better, I think I might go freaking insane!
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Parzel. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Badb†

Post by Badb† »

Enough of this, I can't take it any more

Dom Hoffman started formulating a plan, in the hope that he'd be able to get out of the lesson. Ill? No. Counselling? Not even Goodman would fall for that. Goddamnit! He resigned himself to his fate. He still had a hell of a while to sit through. He took off his jacket and tried to relax on the uncomfortable chair.

At least he could find amusement in the inevitable Omar / Kent argument.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the former handler Badb.
Namira

Post by Namira »

Bounce smirked a little at the comment Kent directed towards Omar. The latter hadn't really said anything too ridiculous so far as Bounce was concerned, but his tone had been... irritating, to say the least. Besides which, it was always amusing to hear a snide remark such as that one.

She blinked a couple of times in surprise when she realised, a little later, that Kent was addressing her. Some kind of inane question about the time. Any lingering liking Bounce may have had for Kent and his remark dissipated instantly from her. It was a stupid question, and the questioner deserved to be treated as such.

"Since you have apparently lost the function of your eyes, the remaining time is approximately ten minutes. This is a choice fact that I am sure you could have found out for yourself, did you not lack the basic intelligence to look at a clock."

Bounce gave Kent a scathing look, then turned away from him, not caring if he wanted to reply to her remark. She didn't have time for idiocy; there was no such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid person.

Ten minutes... this will be insufferable.
Candescence†

Post by Candescence† »

Rudy Leyton looked over the lines of the scene that they were going over at the moment. Unlike everyone else, he didn't mind reading Shakesphere. He did drama, so he liked plays. It also helped to know that half of Romeo and Juliet was really composed of sex jokes and half of it was a comedy before Mercutio ended up carking it. Then the entire mood went straight downhill.

He looked up from his page. He was unfortunate enough to end up in a class that just couldn't appreciate a good play even it slapped them in the face. But that's the problem, isn't it? A good play is supposed to be performed, not studied to hell and back. It would have at least helped if Goodman gave them particular roles and let them read the play out loud. And Shakesphere tried to make his plays simple for others to understand, he didn't intend for his plays to be studied for subtext and symbolism.

Of course, it is still a tragic comedy, not a bloody romance story. Anyone who thinks otherwise should be kicked in the balls. Everyone being idiots was blatantly intended by Will, anyone can see that. Heck, the entire think was a mockery of what NOT to do in a relationship. Makes it all the more hilarious when the author of Twilight compares the couple in her story with Will's...

He looked at his classmates. Kent, a fellow chess player who hates losing, Omar, a guy with no friends, Bounce, a girl who just hates school, Dom, the regular joker with poor timing, and Harold... What's the phrase to describe him? 'Brilliant but lazy'? Of course, such descriptions were merely generalizations, but Rudy didn't have time to think about it anyway, because...

"Mr. Leyton, would you mind giving insight into how else this scene is a major turning point in the play?"

Rudy put on a smile, as Goodman asked him that question, too easy, as he had been pondering the answer just before. "Simple. Before Mercutio was killed, the play was a comedy, for all intents and purposes. For example, the very first two minutes of the play are an entire series of double entendres, purely to get the attention of the ordinary folk. In fact, the very fact that Romeo and Juliet is a romantic comedy is completely forgotten, or even ignored by a lot of people. The mood changes completely after this point, becoming a geniune tragedy. The play is a tragic comedy, not a romantic play, despite what most people think."

"Well said, Mr. Leyton."

Rudy's ego immediately inflated, as a grin appeared on his face. Unlike the others, he was going to enjoy these last ten minutes throughly.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Candescence. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Parzel†

Post by Parzel† »

Kent frowned slightly towards the girl, who seemed to think she was better than him. He hadn't spoken to the girl before much, but he immediately took an dislike to her. As blood began to pump to his face Kent felt like he was being stepped on. No one stepped on him, he is Kent Chirper, a Champion at Chess! An logical genius who is popular, it made so little sense to him.

Did I just hear what I thought I heard?

His attention was immediately brought away from the time and Omar, who he was waiting hopefully for a pathetic response.

"Yes, that's why I'm a champion in chess; I'm just a complete idiot. The facts that all my grades are relatively high are because I'm an idiot, intelligent observation douche." Kent smiled as he finished the cynical sentence. His use of language wasn't one he preferred either. He only asked the time as he was too lazy to look, not a matter of intelligence.

A slight feeling of relief did hit him when he discovered he would be out of the class in just ten minutes but his mind was already rushing about what he would say for a comeback, he wouldn't want to loose at this. To him what he said didn't make sense fully, but in the rush of an answer he could only think of that.
Badb†

Post by Badb† »

Dom watched and chuckled quietly as Kent changed the target of his ego to Bounce. She replied with the typical response, and Kent seemed shocked.

"This can only end badly," Dom kept his voice quiet, making sure his joke was just loud enough so the people around him could hear. "Should I start the countdown?" Someone nodded, so he began.

"3."

"2."

"1."

"Ka... boom?" Kent replied to Bounce snapping his head off with a Sarcastic, If weak, reply. "Damn, I wanted a rant. That would've livened the mood up no end."

Dom flicked to the next page of his magazine, turning his attentions to what he would do after the lesson finished. Then it suddenly dawned on Dom. He'd left his wallet at home.

Shit, Shit, SHIT, Do I have enough money for food?

He franticly checked his pockets for spare change. He pulled out all the money he could find... 20 cents.

Fuck. I'll eat when I get home, then.

Dom Shoved his money back into his pockets, finishing reading the Magazine and stowing it in his rucksack, Dom sat patiently waiting for the bell to go.

Shouldn't Be much longer now...
Namira

Post by Namira »

As Kent attempted to recover from Bounce's remark by uttering a poor comeback, Bounce laconically shifted her head so that she was looking at him again. She gave him a bored, disinterested stare as she listened to what he had to say. For Bounce, the student was just making it plain he didn't know how to deal with an insult, taking refuge in badly couched irony.

"Fantastic, I see you acknowledge your 'prowess' in the exemplified field of board games as simply moot," seriously, chess? Was Kent expecting that to impress her or something? It was nothing more than a game, something you did to pass the time when you were bored - some people just set it on too high a pedastal.

Bounce was surprised that Mr. Goodman hadn't singled the pair of them out for talking yet, but she figured that maybe he wasn't listening too closely. Could completely unveiled insults pass for animated discussion of Shakespeare?

Who cared?

The only reason Bounce really did work in school was because getting into trouble was more inconvenient than just getting things done. Still, if she could push the boundaries, she most certainly would.

I wonder if there are any interesting new threads on the board? It is irritating to just see multitudes of topics, all screaming about how 'Not everybody is dead! OMG' ... idiots.
blastinus

Post by blastinus »

The bell couldn't have sounded soon enough. Sitting with one eye closed, Harold shook his head and sat up. "And there's the end of another stirring class period," Dr. Goodman said, perhaps a little sarcastically. The teacher and Harold had both noticed the small fight, but as it lasted such a disappointingly short time, Goodman paid it no mind, and Harold simply didn't care. "I'll have your tests all graded by next week. Please try to find some enjoyment from the rest of your day."

Fat chance of that. Oh well, there's always lunch.

Coincidentally, lunch was the next activity on the itinerary. Harold, being the sort he was, sprang up from his seat and left the class without saying anything to the teacher or his fellow students except for a little aside to Kent, "If you want to find the time without making it obvious you're turning to see the clock, include 'I'm sure we can all agree...' into a question while making a sweeping gesture. Just a little piece of advice." Not that Harold knew that such a thing would work, but it seemed to make sense in his head. And besides, a little experimentation never hurt anybody, except for that one time he developed his own karate move known as the Reverse Action Chop, and his involuntary test subject ended up throwing him into a locker.

I should have stuck with my ninja fighting skills. Then I would have owned that meathead.

Whatever the case, he couldn't bid the class "adieu" fast enough. Shakespeare was dull as anything, and he had some games to play on his DS. Perhaps someday he'd grow to appreciate it, but that was as likely as him running the marathon.

(Harold Fisher continued in Sparse)
Parzel†

Post by Parzel† »

Kent's face turned a bright pink as anger let loose, he softened down his emotions, but it was obvious he was getting angry.

"I'll have you know to be so good at chess you need divine patience and spectacular logic. Also, I don't know if you noticed but it is not a matter of Intelligence in not looking at the clock. It is a bodily movement; it doesn't take intelligence to do that." He almost spluttered these words out, but they made more sense than last time. Some people were listening in on their conversation, he didn't care. He wanted to make his victory known to all.

"I have got time for your kind anyway, I have better things to be doing." He said, lifting his nose to the girl, he turned, he almost wanted a reply. He began scribbling down some words, but his mind was fixated upon what she would come back with, thus the words he wrote were utter nonsense.

He looked up to the clock, A few minutes remained. Soon he would be free, soon. A man walked past him, uttering some advice into his ear.

"I don't need Advice from you, thank you very much. I'm not going to negotiate with a pathetic person like her!" He claimed, speaking quite slowly and almost patronising him.

(This is Mega-Rushed, I'm off for the night now)
Badb†

Post by Badb† »

The Bell! Dom laughed as he put his Jacket back on and slung his Rucksack over his shoulder. He got out of his chair and moved slowly to the front of the class, and the exit from this shitfest of a lesson.

Finally!

"I'll have your tests all graded by next week. Please try to find some enjoyment from the rest of your day." Dom heard Mr. Goodman say.

I'll have a hell of a better time now this is outta the way.

"Prick" Dom said as he walked past Kent, and out the door.

((Dom Hoffman Continued In Music of the Spheres))

Return to “Language Arts Wing”