Precious Declaration

Events and happenings began influencing who our characters are long before the SOTF ACT was even a glimmer in someone's eye. Have an interesting memory of your character's to share? Want to show the world why they are the way they are? Even if you just want to establish why they like comic books, this is the place to do it!
Ares

Precious Declaration

Post by Ares »

((OOC: This is a continuance from the end of Pins and Needles which is still not finished, however Mimi has given the okay to proceed here))

Nik sat on his bed staring at the phone in his hands. He felt incredibly guilty for what had just happened but it had to be done. It had been tough to tell Autumn that he liked Evelyn and was going to ask her to prom and it would be a hell of a lot tougher on him if Evelyn said no.

Oh God! What if she says no Nik? What...stop it. You need to be positive. You need to feel this one. You know you're making the right move here regardless of what people are telling you.

Still Nik's mind was running wild. He once again picked up his guitar and started strumming. He turned on his iPod radio pod and hit random. The song that played was "Viva la Vida" by Coldplay. Nik started strumming along and singing along. It was then he heard a knock on his door. The Killop's were home and Mr. Killop opened the door slowly.

"Hey Nik, how was that practice with Staf and Trent?" Paul Killop inquired.

"Oh, it wasn't all bad. Trent is getting better." Nik replied.

"Nik, it doesn't take being a clinical psychiatrist to tell something is on your mind." Paul said from the doorway.

"Just girl troubles. You know the two I think?"

"I'm assuming the two are Autumn and Evelyn considering they contributed to running your phone bill up last month Mr. Kronwall." Paul said jokingly.

"Well yes. I actually just got done telling Autumn I'm not taking her to prom and I'm about to call Evelyn and ask her to prom."

"Well Nik, I think you've got a good head on your shoulders and you'll make the right call. Plus, between you and me, Evelyn's got the nicer ass."

"PAUL!" Came the yell of Mrs. Killop.

"Well now I've got to tell my wife her ass is fine too. Let me know how it goes for you eh?"

With that Paul closed the door. If there was one thing that Paul Killop could do it was put a smile on Nik's face.

Nik picked his phone up once more and dialed Evelyn's number.

"Hello? Mr. Reed... Hi. It's Nik Kronwall calling...I'm fine sir and how are you?...Good good. I was wondering if I might speak to Evelyn?...Thanks sir."
Stuff. Things. Stuff and things.
BetaKnight

Post by BetaKnight »

Evelyn leaned back against her bed frame and let out a miserable sigh. She looked down at carnage that lay in her lap. Roughly two-thirds of the package of Oreo Double Stuff cookies was gone; her emergency stash devastated. She felt bloated and gross, and she vowed to stop even as she absently reached down and grabbed another cookie. I can't believe he didn't call. After all that, he's not gonna call.

It wasn't working this time. Normally, when she felt bad, she could have a few cookies as a pick-me-up. Usually only two or three. If it had been a particularly bad day, she would allow herself five or six but no more than that. That summer at camp had taught her that without control, nothing could be achieved. It also taught her a few other useful tricks that she might need later but not now.

Evelyn glanced over at the alarm clock on her desk and dropped her chin against her chest in shame. I can't believe I sat here and ate this whole thing. She sighed, pushed the cookie past her lips, and mechanically began to chew. Watching the clock change, she swallowed the mass of frosting and chocolate in her mouth before reaching for another one.

Realizing what she was doing, she pulled her hand back from the package as if burned. No wonder he didn't call! Look at yourself! You have no control! You're a hog! Who wants to take a disgusting fat pig with no self-restraint to prom?!

A sharp knock on her door interrupted her silent tirade. "You have a phone call, Pumpkin," her father's deep bass rumbled outside the door.

Evelyn looked around at the evidence of her crime with dread. "Just a minute," she sang out as she desperately grabbed at the Oreo package and tried to seal it up with shaking hands.

She lifted the magenta bed skirt and slid out the shoe box she kept her secret hoard in. Her father knocked again, more insistent this time. "Hold on! One second!" Dropping the cookies in, she staggered to her feet and snatched the water bottle off the night stand. As she crossed to her door, she took a huge mouthful and swished the water around, trying to dislodge and remove any evidence of her little pig-out.

She swallowed the slightly gritty water as she threw the door open. "Yeah, Daddy?" she asked breathlessly as she fought the urge to wipe her mouth with the back of her hand.

He looked at her askance for a second, as if he knew exactly what she had been doing, before handing the phone over. "Phone call, sweetie."

She presented him with her best cheerleader smile. "Thanks, Daddy," she trilled as she took the phone and shut the door. Sagging against the closed door in relief, she held the phone up to her ear. "Hello?"
Ares

Post by Ares »

Hello?

Nik felt the flustering feeling of butterflies in his stomach at the sound Evie's voice. A thousand different thoughts ran through his head instantly about hanging up out of fear.

Nik, you're not bailing on this.

"H-Hey Evie. It's Nik...Kronwall.'

Smooooooooooooth...

'Um, so I know I need to apologize for earlier today. Everything happened really quick, then Staffan and I needed to go. Well you were there so you know what happened heh. So anyways, when Autumn mentioned the prom earlier it did get me thinking a lot and I wanted to talk to you about it. I'll just cut to the chase. I called Autumn and after talking to her I made the decision that while I do like Autumn a lot, I only think of her as my friend. When I'm hanging out with you though it's different. I always feel nervous that I'm going to embarrass myself since English isn't my first language, but I don't have that worry with you. So I was wondering if I could take you the prom?"

Nik crossed his fingers as he awaited a reply.
BetaKnight

Post by BetaKnight »

"H-Hey Evie. It's Nik...Kronwall."

Evelyn's mouth was suddenly as dry as the Sahara. She quickly licked her lips before responding. "OH! Um...hey. I mean, hi. Nik." Almost reflexively, she leaned over and glanced at herself in the mirror, checking her make-up and hair. You're on the PHONE, moron! He can't see you! Throwing back her shoulders, she stood ram-rod straight and tried to collect herself.

"So was it good? I mean, did you have a good time? At practice? With Staffan?" She giggled nervously, wincing at the less-than-musical sound. OH GAWD! Could I be any more of a spaz?!

Nik graciously saved her from any more verbal diarrhea by launching into a recap of the day's events. Evelyn felt herself flush at the memory. Even though it had been several hours ago, Autumn's scathing digs still stung. Before she could respond, he continued. His voice had a slightly rehearsed tone to it, and she felt the tattered remains of her confidence plummet somewhere in the region of her toes.

When Nik said that he had called Autumn first, for a second, she thought she might faint. Her mind began racing a mile a minute. I knew it. I just knew it. He's calling to let me down gently because he's such a nice guy, but he's gonna go with Autumn. Why wouldn't he? Why would a guy like Nik pass on a girl like her?

She was so busy starting her pity party that she almost missed the most important part of the conversation. When Nik admitted that he like her, that he LIKED HER liked her, Evelyn's legs grew wobbily and she abruptly sat down on the floor of her bedroom, a little huff of air escaping her. Nik likes me. He likes ME. Not because I'm a cheerleader or because I'm cute now or that I have money. He likes me because I'm me!

A rush of warmth spread through her chest, and Evelyn hugged herself and rocked back against her bedroom door. Nik Cronwall just told me that he likes me likes me and wants to take me to prom, she triumphantly crowed to herself. He asked me!

A heartbeat later, that cynical little voice in her head spoke up, dispelling her haze of happiness. Hey genius, you haven't said YES yet! Staring at the phone in horror, Evelyn realized that poor Nik had been waiting for her answer.

"Yes!" She cringed at her forceful exclamation. Wincing and hitting herself in the forehead with the heel of her hand, she tried again in a more modulated manner. "I mean...yes. I would absolutely LOVE to go to the prom with you Nik." It was probably a blessing that he couldn't see her right now, given the goofy grin she had plastered to her face.

In a softer tone, she admitted, "I, um, want you to know that I really like spending time with you too, Nik. You're funny, and smart, and you're always such a gentleman." Tucking the errant strand of hair behind her ear, she grinned at the phone again. "We're gonna have such a great time at prom, I totally promise you!"
Ares

Post by Ares »

At Evie's response of "Yes." Nik felt like doing a backflip. He uncrossed his fingers and gave a silent fist pump. This was followed by Nik's face turning beet red at the barrage of compliments Evelyn. This was made even worse by Paul Killop returning to check on Nik.

Nik looked up at Paul who has giving him a switch between thumbs and down. Nik gave him the thumbs up and Paul smiled.

"Nik, make sure you find out what colour dress she is going to wear." Paul whispered.

Nik nodded.

"Oh thanks Evelyn. I'm so happy you said yes. I was sitting here all nervous that you would say no, but you didn't say no and now I get to wear my suit."

Nik's excited reply allowed his accent to slip through unmasked but he didn't care.

"Umm, Paul is here and he is telling me I should find out what colour dress you are wearing to the prom?"
BetaKnight

Post by BetaKnight »

Evelyn's elated grin shifted into a much softer expression as Nik admitted that he was worried that she would say no. Only an idiot would turn you down, Nik Kronwall. And your accent only makes you sound more adorable.

"Umm, Paul is here and he is telling me I should find out what colour dress you are wearing to the prom?"

"What color dress am I wearing?" Evelyn scrambled to her feet and flounced over to her walk-in closet. Hanging against the back wall, still wrapped in the clear plastic garment bag, was the silken wonder she had picked out for prom. How to describe the color to him?

Tilting her head to one side, she studied the dress with a critical eye. "Well, the clerk called it Pacific blue, but really, it's more of a cerulean blue. I suppose it could be considered Pacific blue if you count the South Pacific but it's definitely not aqua or turquoise, like beach calendars oceans. It's a much darker blue, like the deep tropical waters you see from airplanes. And nothing at all like the water off the coast of California or Oregon. That water's gray or practically black when you view it from the air."

Realizing how much information she had just dumped on Nik, Evelyn flushed in embarrassment. "Sorry," she apologized, biting her lip. "That was a little too much info, wasn't it?"
Ares

Post by Ares »

Nik sat there listening to every ounce of descriptive detail that Evelyn threw at him but it was no use, she'd lost him about halfway through.

"Yes. Just a little bit heh," Nik paused before continuing, "How about this? Tomorrow after hockey practice I can come pick you up and you can help me pick out a shirt and tie to match your dress? Who knows, maybe we could grab some food after?"

Paul was still in the doorway, nodding his head solemnly.

"Atta boy Nik." He said as he turned to attend to Mrs. Killop's calling his name.

Nik turn and gave him an acknowledging smile before turning his attention back to the phone.
BetaKnight

Post by BetaKnight »

"Are you sure that you want to go shopping with me? Most guys would rather chew their own legs off instead of going shopping with a girl. But since you're such a nice guy, I'll promise to make it as painless as possible," Evelyn teased as she shifted the phone, holding it to her ear with her shoulder.

Lifting up the dress, she held it up to herself and examined the reflection in the mirror. "But in all seriousness, I would love to help you pick out a shirt and tie. And that sounds...nice. Dinner after the shopping. I'd love to."

Return to “Memories from the Past (V4)”