The Long Walk Home

Private between chitoryu12 and Fanatic

Events and happenings began influencing who our characters are long before the SOTF ACT was even a glimmer in someone's eye. Have an interesting memory of your character's to share? Want to show the world why they are the way they are? Even if you just want to establish why they like comic books, this is the place to do it!
chitoryu12†

The Long Walk Home

Post by chitoryu12† »

((Chris Carlson continued from Toppings))

Chris and Sarah made no rush as they walked down the sidewalk on their way to the park, and from there, home. Chris wished his glasses had been ready beforehand, as he had ordered ones with transition lenses so they could mimic sunglasses in the daylight. While he had been on stage enough that bright lights in his eyes were the norm, he was still annoyed by the sun as it made its way to the horizon. It was about 5:00, and the sun was just hitting the treetops.

"So, how's life been treating you?" Chris asked.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler chitoryu12. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Fanatic†

Post by Fanatic† »

((Sarah Atwell continued from Toppings))

Sarah glanced at Chris from behind her shades, debating for a second if she should tell him anything. Although it would be great to get the variety of issues she had off her chest she didn't really open up to many people, and it wasn't like she knew Chris that well either.

Things had always been thus in the Atwell household and it wasn't about to change. Any public notice could get sticky and people looked at you differently if they knew you had issues at home. Of course Sarah didn't judge, but this was high school, and in high school reputation counted for a lot. Wars had been fought over less. So in the end she decided to go against it.

"Yeah, life has been pretty good, considering it all. I was thinking about colleges actually. I think I might be able to get in to somewhere..." Sarah paused for a second. "away from this place, ya know?"

Indeed she really did want to get out. Moving away from home would be a relief, and although she wasn't top of her class, she performed well enough that she might be able to go interstate. However this left a sinking feeling in her stomach wondering how much worse her parents might get without her being there.

Absentmindedly she scuffed her sneaker on the fallen leaves in the park, kicking up some dirt. Not many people were around at this time of day, and they were far enough away from the roads that the cars became a distance background noise rather than a constant fixture.

"Haven't really been thinking too much of the present lately, too wrapped up in studying and all, although prom is getting close and I have to say I think it'll be fun. How about yourself Chris, anything weighing on your mind?"

Sarah smiled as she tilted her head at Chris while the pair walked.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Fanatic. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
chitoryu12†

Post by chitoryu12† »

Chris had plenty running through his head. This year had been pretty hectic; despite his good grades, he had to work his butt off to get them. AP Macroeconomics was the worst. Despite having an accountant for a mother, he just couldn't easily grasp the concepts or the multitude of graphs. Memorizing the long chain of events that one government action could cause in the economy made his head spin. He was stuck at a steady D until the end of the first semester, when he barely managed to scrape a C for the class, just enough to pass. He was very glad it was a one-semester class, replaced by AP American Government, which he found much easier.

Then there was all the drama in drama. Drama club had some of the nicest, most accepting kids in it, but at the same time there was a lot of politics, romance, and gossip. There were rumors that one girl, Charlotte, had been made the director of a musical -- despite no talent in singing or dancing -- as a way of padding her résumé for college, influenced by the drama teacher and sponser of Drama Club. Then there was the very obvious favoritism towards members of the school thespian troupe, who were given roles over non-members who would have been better for the part. The worst was when another girl, Jamie, began to abuse her boyfriend until the entirety of drama club hated her. She promptly faked a fall and hit to her head during rehearsal and began faking amnesia of the past 4 years to try and get out of taking responsibility. Nobody believed her, of course, but Chris had played along to avoid aggravating her further. She obviously had issues.

The most pressing issue, though, was Kelly. Kelly Cowart was Chris' closest friend and attended Edgewater High School, about 20 miles away. They had met 8 months before at a video game convention in Minneapolis, where she was volunteering at the convention center. They traded Myspaces after the convention was over, and very quickly became best friends.

The thing is, Chris was in love with her. And he had been for the past 3 months. What was stopping him was Kelly's age: 14. Chris was 17, so it was only a 3-year difference. However, some people hadn't been taking too kindly to someone who was almost a legal adult spending so much time around a girl who wasn't old enough to drive. One of her friends had called him a pedophile, which he almost punched him for.

He was conflicted. On one hand, he loved Kelly more than anything in the world. He would give his life for her in a heartbeat, no pun intended. And she loved him even more than her boyfriend, so there wasn't too much drama when they broke up. But he knew that a lot of people could take their relationship the wrong way, especially when he was in college and she was halfway through high school.

Sarah seemed like a good girl, someone smart and understanding. Maybe Chris could talk to her about it? He decided to take the plunge. And if she reacted badly? Well, that was just one more person who didn't like him. He could deal with that.

"Well, yes," he said. "My best friend, Kelly......I'm in love with her. I know, not a big deal, but the thing is that she's 14. Now, I'm 17. It's only three years. But I know some people, including her friends, think I'm still too old for her. What should I do?"
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler chitoryu12. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Fanatic†

Post by Fanatic† »

"Well..." Sarah mused "I reckon love triumph's over all! I mean most older couples are a few years apart anyway so I don't see any reason why you would listen to all those people. What do they know anyway! As long as you're not um..." Sarah paused again thinking for the right words. "How do you guys say it? Tapping that!"

The girl smiled at Chris smugly as the duo passed through the park. "I'd be careful though, being a girl I know that at that age we don't really know what we want, so don't fall too hard or else you might not be able to get up."

Sarah flipped open her video camera, first pointing it at Chris for a second before panning it over the small park they were crossing through. It was always hard to focus on falling leaves but if you got a good, in focus shot, it was always worth it. Tracking the camera back to herself Sarah poked her tongue out before returning to the surroundings. Interspersed footage is always good, and people like trees, if she was to put together an end of year memorial video she should at the very least split up all the interviews with other stuff.

Sarah had hundreds of hours of footage at home, but she always tried to get more, different angles, different times so she could create the perfect scene. Some would call it an escape from her home life. Some would be right. The teenage girl would meticulously label each clip with date, time, location, angle and length while shouts would be heard from downstairs.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Fanatic. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
chitoryu12†

Post by chitoryu12† »

Chris smiled as Sarah said that. He was happy that he had found someone who wasn't as bigoted as others had been when it came to age. He was starting to like this girl, who now had her camera panning over the surroundings as if locking onto pre-placed markers.

"Don't worry, I know the laws. Besides, I don't have sex that quickly in relationships. I like to get to know a girl before getting to KNOW her, if you get my drift."

He sighed, letting the sun warm his face. He could picture taking Kelly here, walking in the glow of the sun, hand-in-hand as they giggled and grinned at how perfect their relationship was.

He let his thoughts drift over to what he would do when he got home. He was a good multi-tasker most of the time, so he would both start IMing Kelly and start his usual web surfing. He would hit Myspace and Facebook right after checking his email, then go on to his favorite comedy sites to see their latest jokes.

He thought a bit about asking Kelly out on IM. It seemed a bit, well, tactless. But you never know when you might miss the perfect chance, and it could change your life forever. So he decided that yes, he WOULD pop it to her. And then he would probably be the happiest he had ever been in his life!

Chris had never had a girlfriend before. Of course, he only became interested in a girl in 6th grade and didn't start trying to get dates until 9th. It's just that he was unfortunately cursed with a far different personality and attitude than the other guys. Girls in high school, generally, go for guys who are most like the other ones. Seeing as he didn't fit in with the party boys who took all standard-level classes and had mediocre grades nonetheless, he was viewed as a "freak" or "creep" because he would compliment girls, call them "dear" as either a term of endearment to his friends or a way of mocking them, and view most of the pranks and disrespect in the classroom as a distraction or annoyance.

He had only been rejected twice, but since he had only asked twice, it was a poor track record. One girl happened to be Holly, the girl who dropped him as her prom date. That had been almost a year ago, when they were absolute best friends. She had recently gone through about 4 boyfriends in that time span, not including random makeouts/handjobs to her friends when drunk.

As he pondered and Sarah recorded everything within her camera's field of view, they came up on the edge of the park. After that, it was just a right turn and they would be on the street home.

Chris was about to speak, when he suddenly realized that he couldn't think of anything to talk about. He thought for about five seconds before giving up, and he turned to Sarah and said "So, camerawoman, I'm fresh out of conversation starters. Got any ideas?"
Fanatic†

Post by Fanatic† »

Sarah inwardly flinched as Chris said Camerawoman.

It wasn't demeaning but she was so much more, reporter, journalist, media editor, digital enhancement, producer, director. She wanted to make movies, and camerawoman for her brought up images of holding a bulky news camera while someone rattled off the evening news.

That was not something she was terribly interested in. As far as conversation starters went Sarah shrugged, listing off a variety of mundane topics. "School, Romance, Prom, Friends, latest movies, weather." Honestly, they were less than a few hundred metres away from her house and she was more eager to do two things. The first was to slip in without her parents noticing and spend the next two hours modelling herself in front of the mirror in her room and secondly to upload the footage she had captured over the day : both the fight at the cafeteria and others and begin the arduous process of labeling and editing the footage.

The soft ground of the park turned in to hard bitumen under the pairs feet as they turned up to Sarah's home road. It wasn't that Sarah didn't care what Chris had to say, it was more that other things were far more interesting and something to get excited about. Small talk was something she usually enjoyed though and in any other circumstance she would be happy to chat to anyone for hours, but the combined promise of new clothes and new footage was more than the girl could handle in terms of excitement.

"Hey, I appreciate you walking home with me, but I probably have to get back a little faster than I thought. My parents will be waiting for me. I'll catch you at school tomorrow yeah?"

Sarah held her hand expectantly for the bag that Chris was carrying for her. Once the transaction was done she would give him a quick hug as was proper and then gracefully dart off to her house. In some sense subconsciously Sarah was a little wary of letting Chris know *exactly* where she lived, although her conscious mind would never admit that.
chitoryu12†

Post by chitoryu12† »

"Yeah, okay," Chris said, handing over the bag. She leaned in for a hug, which he warmly accepted. She was a good girl, no use in not hugging her back.

Chris' house wasn't too far from here; only about half a mile away, which he could walk in about 10 minutes. "All right, see ya!" he said, and he continued his long strides, letting Sarah go as she had to go.

Suddenly, he stopped. What had he forgotten?

Think, Chrisy, think......oh yeah!

He turned on his heel. "Hey, Sarah!" he shouted back, taking a few steps back towards her. "Since I don't have a date for prom, do you think I could go with you and your friends?"

Please say yes, please say yes, please say yes!
Fanatic†

Post by Fanatic† »

Sarah paused for a second, a look of confusion flashing over her face for a brief moment before returning to a neutral expression.

"I uh... guess so?" she said, a little surprised at both the question and the delivery. "I'm going with a few others but I think we have room in the car for one more. I'd have to check first but I should be able to let you know at school yeah?" Sarah turned to walk away and stopped for a second, remembering her manners. "Thanks for the lend as well, I'll get you the cash when I see you tomorrow. Bye Chris."

And with that she turned the corner home. Admittedly she was a little addled. Didn't Chris have any of his own friends to go with? She guessed not and he *did* lend her some money for the dress so he wasn't that bad a guy. She would check with the others to get the ok, although she knew they would already say yes. No biggie. Plus now it was time for filming and modelling some dresses. Excited she quickened her step to her house, hoping to sneak in below the radar.

((Sarah Atwell continued, indirectly in Irritating Thoughts)
chitoryu12†

Post by chitoryu12† »

Chris smiled, but it was a bit fake, honestly. He could tell by her tone and confusion that she didn't really want to accept, but he was happy to have someone. Better than going alone and having to find one of his friends to talk to. Like the last time he thought to himself.

"Okay, see ya!" he said to Sarah, and he began briskly walking towards home. It was time to finish up his days of being single. He patted his phone and smiled.

((Christopher Carlson continued in Pursuit and Retrieval))
Fanatic†

Post by Fanatic† »

Later that night

Sarah quickly tapped in Chris' number to her phone, reaching his voicemail.

"Hi Chris, it's Sarah, just giving you a quick call to let you know that they said it was ok if you want to come with us. If you uh, want to sort some prom stuff out before hand just text me. I'll see you at school, bye."

Sarah hung up, turning back to the glowing screen of her Mac.

Return to “Memories from the Past (V4)”