Make/Break

Day 5 - Private

These are the woods that run in a narrow band which separates the mansion from the residential district. Closer to the mansion, the woods have a more manicured look, as though the trees were culled and planted in such a way as to maximize aesthetics, though they have had clearly not been cared for in a while.
Hollyquin†

Make/Break

Post by Hollyquin† »

[[Hayley Kelly continued from Pleather for Breakfast]]

So. The forest. Right. Looking at the map, it wasn't too far from the groundskeeper's hut- not far at all, in fact. Very, very close. It would take a complete idiot to get lost between the two points.

It was a good thing that someone who wasn't a complete idiot was in charge of directions, as Hayley was very aware that had she been in charge, they would have gotten to the swamp before they found the southeastern woods.

But they were there now, that was the important bit, yeah, yeah it is. We're here, we're here and we're going to find Alex and Maddy and that stupid bitch and everything's gonna be great. Fine. Good. Awesome. Yeah. We're going to...go. Walk around, I guess. Fuck, we don't really have a plan here, do we? They could be anywhere on this fucking island, the only help we've got is Alex's tracking device thingy and that'll only tell them that people are nearby, not who they are. Unless they've been tracking us since we left the Fun Fair they'd have no idea what dot-things are us and if they were tracking us the whole time why wouldn't they have already found us? No, something has to have happened, something bad, but they're not dead, so nothing too bad, I guess? Unless they had, like, their legs cut off or something. Oh, shit, could that happen? No, if you got your leg cut off on this island you'd be dead...too much blood lost. Ugh, this is gonna bother me majorly until we find them...

She was restless, more so than usual. Restless and anxious for some reason. She looked down at her hands and realized they were shaking. Awesome. This is really not a good time for things to be wrong with me. Her hand automatically started searching her pocket for her cigarettes, but she quickly changed her mind. Nineteen cigarettes left and Jesus or Buddha or whoever fuckin' knows how much more time. I've gotta try to play this smart or else I'll end up having a nicotine fit. And probably dead.

Hayley looked back at her companions. Kyle Portman and Ema Ryan. So weird. So weird! She'd have never let the two meet back home, she in fact purposely kept them separate because drama was a bitch, because she was quite sure Ema wasn't quite over her, and if she let herself be honest with herself for a second, she never quite got over Ema either. Understandable, considering their sudden and dramatic breakup (that was entirely Hayley's fault, if she was gonna keep being honest). But now the three of them were together on Survival of the fucking Fittest, all trying not to die together.

I smell a sitcom!

Funny how it's been two whole days now and I still haven't had any awkward thoughts regarding threesomes.

Oh wait, now I have. Never mind then.

Hayley made a face solely for her own benefit. I haven't thought about sex in like a day and a half, that has to be a new record. What the actual fuck. This island has this gorgeous way of killing your sex drive, or maybe that has more to do with the whole being-around-the-two-people-you-WANT-to-have-sex-with-but-totally-can't-anywhere-near-the-other-one thing. I've barely thought about Johnny at all, and that's not okay. He probably thinks I'm thinking about him. I know he's thinking about me. Oh, babe, are you watching this now? I miss you, I miss you, I miss you so much, can you hear me? I miss you.

Her mind tailed off for a moment, slipping into white noise as she maneuvered through the woods. Why do trees have to be so...treelike? Ignore me, I don't even speak English in my own head. It took a while for her to get back on a topic that was of any importance to anyone at all.

Right.

Liz Polanski.

Of course, Hayley Kelly's mind was a distractable and easily muddled thing, and just finding the topic of Liz Polanski didn't get her far. At least ten minutes after remembering that name were spent repeating old points of she needs to die and I'm sure they'll understand and how the fuck did she come up with an escape plan when I couldn't? and blahblahblah it all just kind of blended together because she'd heard it all before. Eventually she cleared her head.

I really do need to talk to them about this. I mean, what happens if we do run into this girl? Assuming no one kills her first and I'm sure I'm not the only one on the island who wants to. Anyway, if we do run into her, what if, like, Ema wants to help with her escape plan or some shit? I mean, I don't think Ema would, but it's possible-ish. Yeah? Yeah, maybe. Or what if...what if they don't want to kill her? Like, they don't want to help her, they just don't kill her. What would I do then?

Kill her anyway? Could I do that? Kill someone without their approval? I mean, that first boy, what's-his-face, that was pretty much an accident, and I'm sure they approved of me killing James, he was about to kill them...but could I kill Liz Polanski? If she was there, if she wasn't threatening us, if they didn't want me to? Could I kill anyone?

Of course you could. And that 'killing what's-his-face was an accident' thing is bullshit. You even knew he was innocent. So don't kid yourself.

Shut up, you. I liked you better when you stopped talking.

Well, you haven't had a proper morality argument with yourself in a while.

SHUT UP.

Hayley stopped walking, shaking her head to clear it. Liz Polanski. Right. Before the topic left her head again, before anyone changed the subject, she needed to actually start speaking her thoughts. Out loud. To other people. She turned back around.

"Hey, guys, um, I was wondering-"

She stopped, because by that time she had turned around. And found that she was entirely alone.

Oh.

Well, fuck.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Hollyquin. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
armeggedonCounselor†

Post by armeggedonCounselor† »

((Kyle Portman continued from Pleather for Breakfast))

Kyle trudged along in silence. Their small group was mostly quiet, with Hayley taking the lead and remaining silent, and Kyle being by his nature fairly silent, conversation was kept to a minimum. Hayley was well ahead of Kyle, who was stuck walking awkwardly next to Ema.

He hadn't really spoken much to Ema, or to Hayley about Ema, or... really to Hayley much at all. Which was... terrible, yes, terrible and... terrible. And the redundancy didn't make it less true. Or less terrible.... And yet... and yet he didn't feel broken up about it. Maybe it was the fact that being on SoTF kinda put a damper on things like relationships, and talking, and breathing. He had been fortunate to avoid that third one thus far.

Lost in his thoughts, Kyle didn't see the exposed root. His foot caught it and sent him sprawling. His concentration shattered and he suddenly felt nauseous. He curled up and retched, trying to suppress his anxiety and compulsions again. He was thankful that he had failed to eat breakfast, as it kept him from actually throwing something up, which would then splatter and mess his hands and shirt and face and and and.... He took a deep breath and rolled over, eyes closed and sitting up. He took another couple deep breathes. Breathe, breathe, breathe.... DAMMIT!

He put his face in his hands, breathing hard. After another moment, he looked up. And then he noticed.

Hayley was gone.

'Shit. Shit shit shit shit shitnowhere dammit no FUCK!'

He sprang up, panic returning to him. He rounded on Ema. "Where did, did, did she go? Did you see?"

Without waiting for an answer, he turned again, panicking further. "I can't lose her, can't lose her, can't lose her...."

Another wave of nausea hit and he retched again, smacking his head against a tree. He fell down hard, and stayed sitting this time, as he couldn't see straight at the moment. ".... Ow."
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler armeggedonCounselor. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Chib†

Post by Chib† »

[Pleather for Breakfast --> Ema Ryan]

Whilst the journey from the beach up to the Groundskeeper's hut hadn't been particularly arduous, it had seemed so with all the weight Ema was still carrying back then (and the epic trek from the swamp down to the beach in the first place had kept her fatigued overnight as it was) made it seem awful. So by comparison, the short stroll up to the nearby forest was quite pleasant. Not running away from anyone, not lugging a few tonnes of gear around, just going to look for their mutual friends. Ema didn't think about what might have befallen them to make searching them out neccesary, the optimism born of the unambiguously positive goal was fragile enough as it was.

With Hayley taking point, she found herself bringing up the rear a few paces behind Kyle, having to maintain a stride to stay with them. After a while, though, the march slowed, Ema ran out of pseudo-military analogies to describe it, and she soon caught up to Kyle, now walking at a rather leisurely trudge beside him. The awkwardness was thick enough to be cut with a knife, so no words were exchanged. After all, what was she meant to say? "Sorry I interrupted you almost making out in the ocean and proceeding to cockblock you for the next three days?" Hardly.

The unlikely duo soon made the forest, still a fair distance behind Hayley, and at some point fairly soon after passing into the trees, disaster. Ema would've stifled a laugh at the fall, maybe even made a comment on how it was usually her that made such mistakes, but in her hurry to turn and look back, she managed to smack her own head on a low branch - luckily not in the same place as her last accidental headbutt - , and quickly lost sight of the humour. Instead, hoping Kyle hadn't seen her own idiocy, she backpedalled, asking "You alright?"

Before she could begin to extend a hand to help him up, for whatever that would be worth, Kyle sprang to his feet.

"Where did, did, did she go? Did you see?"

Where did who gOh shit Hayley she's carried on and not noticed buggeration.

"I can't lose her, can't lose her, can't lose her...."

Whilst a mean-spirited corner of her mind muttered "Join the club...", Ema herself shared in the worry. "She can't have gotten far, right? If we run that way," she pointed back the way they'd been going before the root, "Maybe we'll catch up?"

The tone was anything but confident, but at least it was a start, better than panicking. Which she'd probably be doing soon if the simple plan didn't work.

".... Ow."

"I know just how you feel...
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Chib. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
SOTF_Help

Post by SOTF_Help »

Hey, everyone! Just a friendly reminder that the thread limits in areas exist for a reason (namely, keeping areas uncluttered and from containing more characters than they logically should). In this case, the limit is supposed to be two threads. Given that both the other threads in the area contain characters handled by handlers in this thread, asking you to merge would be impractical, so we're going to cut you slack on this for this specific incident. In the future, though, please get permission before violating the area thread limit. Doing so without checking in really isn't fair to other handlers who are following the rules. We really are lenient if there's a good reason.

Thanks!

EDIT: Whoops. Just saw that the other thread closed. It went unnoticed because it was an edit instead of another post. My bad. Sorry, everyone, and continue your business.
Killer_Moth†

Post by Killer_Moth† »

((Jen Romita cont'd from Empire Ants))

((All GMing done with approval))

As they made their way down the mountain, Jen found herself full of energy once more. Finally, they were going to escape. And it was all thanks to her best friend. She had quickly caught up with him as she almost ran down the slope, so excited at his discovery. It had taken a little while before she had noticed that they had pulled ahead of Frankie and Marion. Now, it was just like it had been right back at the start. Just the two of them, alone together.

She slowed, partly to allow the rest of the party time to catch up, and partly to recover her breath. She signalled to Highpockets that she wanted to take a short breather, and sat down on a suitable log, her chest heaving from the effort of her panting. Looking at her companion, she wondered just how she could have gone this long without ever seeing this side of him. This take charge leader, finally out of his shell.

It was time, she decided. Time to let him know the truth. About all of her feelings since she had arrived on the island, and perhaps even before. She smiled at him, warmly indicating for him to sit down beside her. As he did so, she rested her head against his shoulder, as she had done so frequently before. This time, it felt somehow different.

"Morgan," she asked, softly, "Why didn't you sleep with me when I offered you?"
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Killer_Moth. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Hollyquin†

Post by Hollyquin† »

At first she didn't move. Wasn't that what her mom had taught her when she was a little kid? If you get separated, stay where you are and I'll come find you. Yeah, but that was for like, malls and shit. Little kid standing alone by themselves, eventually a rent-a-cop'll show and take you to the retarded-little-kid center. Survival of the Fittest doesn't have rent-a-cops, or retarded-little-kid centers, and if someone other than Kyle and Ema finds me they're not gonna take me to my mommy. They're probably gonna take me to hell.

With that delicious thought in mind, Hayley began to move.

Her first problem was that, after standing still for about thirty seconds, she had completely forgotten what direction she'd been heading in, and so she'd forgotten which direction Kyle and Ema were (presumably) coming from. Just...trees. Trees and trees in every direction. Not cute. Fuck, why must I have the short term memory of a semi-retarded goldfish?

Her second problem was that...no, that first problem was really the only problem, but it was enough to send her wandering back into the woods with no sense of direction and the nagging, horrifying feeling that she was going to lose Kyle and Ema for real.

I'll just...move in, like, an outward-spiral. Cover all the ground I possibly can and I'll probably run into them eventually. 'Course that totally increases the chance I'll run into someone else I really don't want to see at all. Whatever, I have Vera, if anything I need to worry about Kyle and Ema running into someone else...

So she followed her own advice, moving in a tight, clockwise spiral from her starting location, making her way around trees, pouting all the while. Fuck this wandering alone in the woods thing. Those two need to learn to keep up. Shit, if I end up dead somehow, I'm gonna haunt the everloving crap outta them. That'll show 'em. Something. Wait, they'll be dead too in a bit...we can have a ghost party. Haunt bitches, get...money. I should think these things through better. Shit, I should have a cigarette...they can follow the smell of my cancerous lungs. But so could the horrible murderers who are probably around here somewhere.

There was a rustle of leaves.

It wasn't her rustle.

This was slightly problematic.

Hayley stopped dead. Her first instinct was to freak out completely. Her second instinct was to suppress her first instinct before she actually started shooting at random and/or crying.

Chill the fuck out, girly, it's probably Kyle and Ema. That's good. You wanted to find them, yeah? Yeah.

And this time she had to suppress the urge to call out. It's PROBABLY Kyle and Ema, not it's DEFINITELY Kyle and Ema, don't you listen to yourself? It could be Max fucking Lombardi out there and you're just gonna call out? I mean, he's cute and everything, you always did have a thing for English serial killers, that is your strange beauty, but bullets to the face often offend and that's probably what he's got for you.

Why am I referring to myself in the second person?

Anyway. Quiet. Find them, assuming it is them, the quicker the better...

She moved, slowly, as quietly as was humanly possible, through the trees, towards the sound she'd heard before. The rustling had stopped now- presumably whoever it was had stopped moving- so she had to work from memory, and as essentially everyone knew Hayley Kelly was not so good at working from memory. She was smart, clever even, but her brain was generally not to be trusted with remembering crucial information at vital moments like this. Of course, that all became irrelevant when she heard another rustle, turned towards it and-

Her heart practically stopped. No, it most definitely was not Kyle and Ema. This, of course, was a problem.

Hayley was hidden from view, behind a layer of trees, but could get a good enough glimpse of the duo. They were about thirty, forty feet away, sitting on a log. She had to squint to see them clearly- it was a boy and a girl, she looked oddly familiar- Romita, was it? Yeah, Jen Romita. Hayley knew her by reputation- any good party girl will recognize any other good party girl, after all. The boy was less familiar looking, though presumably a friend of hers given that her head was on his shoulder and everything. Fuck, I dunno. Point is, there's two people, who I don't know particularly well, forty feet away from me. What am I supposed to do now?

She could think of three options.

Number one, leave. Slink back into the trees and go back to finding Kyle and Ema, avoiding this little clearing entirely. Of course, there was the very possible possibility that they'd run into each other by chance later, so she might just be delaying the inevitable. Not to mention right now she at least had the upper hand, as opposed to later when she might run into them while they were, you know, trying to kill her. She couldn't see any weapons on them, from here, but why take that chance?

Number two, reveal herself. Talk to them, see what they were doing, maybe strike up another alliance. After all, she had a gun- assuming that her not seeing any weapons on the pair actually meant they had no weapons and was not just a failing of her vision, she had the definite upper hand here. But the honest question of the day was why bother? Honestly, my job right now is protecting Kyle and Ema. Two more weaponless kids who I don't actually give a shit about are not gonna help us. Besides, they're just gonna have to die later anyway. Why bother pretending? Least with Kyle and Ema I know I'm not gonna kill them.

That, of course, led very logically into number three.

Kill them.

Why not? Really, why not? Who are they to me? Absolutely no-fucking-body. Jen Romita, Skank Romita, and her boytoy of the moment. Why not? This is Survival of the Fittest. Everyone I'll meet on the island, will die. Everyone but one person. Everyone who stays alive, who isn't me, might be that one, and if they're that one where does that leave me?

That's the spirit.

...W-wait, no, wait, just because they have to die doesn't mean I have to do it. Right? They'll die, sure, doesn't mean I have to kill them.

If everyone thought that way, where would that leave you?

That's bullshit logic. Obviously not everyone's thinking that way.

Well, clearly you weren't, either, considering you've killed two people already.

Shut up. The first was an accident kinda sorta and the second was self-defense. This is different. This is just...you know, murder. They're not hurting me. I could just leave them here in peace or whatever passes for peace on this goddamn show. But...but I thought about that already, I could run into them again later. They're not hurting me but they could later. Anyone could, I guess. I mean...Survival of the Fittest and all that, yeah?

Sounds logical.

...Fuck, why am I trying to rationalize this? This is murder. That's what it is.

Is that going to stop you?

I don't know, is it? I mean, I knew it was gonna come to this, eventually. Survival of the Fittest, only the strongest survive. I'm not the strongest but fuck outta here if I'm not gonna try. Only way to make it to the top is eliminating the competition. Right?

Right.

I know what I'm doing. I know what killing them would mean. It's not an accident and it's not self defense. But I'm playing this game. I know that. I've known that since I woke up. I didn't want to kill anyone, but that's what playing the game is, and I've already killed two people. I don't really have much to lose. Other than, you know, my rapidly dwindling remaining lifespan.

Is this real life? Is this really what I'm doing? No turning back after this.

What are Kyle and Ema gonna think?

Hayley squeezed her eyes shut for a moment. That would be problematic. No matter where they were in the forest they'd hear the gunshots, and even if they somehow didn't Danya would announce it in the morning. Kyle had made his choice after she'd killed Steve, but Ema...

It'd be better for her if she left anyway.

But you don't want her to.

No, I don't. Oh god I am such a selfish bitch. Can't even handle it. Whatever, I'll figure something out. They should be grateful. I mean, I'm saving them the trouble. As long as I'm taking out the competition, they don't have to. I'll protect them until there's nothing left.

What happens then?

Shut up.

Shut up. I'm done.

Ready for this. One, two, three...

She heard it, echoing, three shots fired off, before she was even conscious that her finger had moved.

BANG

BANG

BANG
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Hollyquin. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
armeggedonCounselor†

Kyle took a deep breath. It helped a little.

"Okay. We know what direction we were going in, so that's a a a good start. Except Hayley has a sense of direction like a semi-retarded beetle. Dammit."

Then, suddenly, gunshots. Bang, bang, bang. He liked the number, even as the sound set his heart racing. It was odd that normally gunshots didn't freak him out, but now that Hayley might be in danger, it frightened him. He jumped to his feet, stumbled a bit, then started off without another word in the direction the shots had come from.

((Bluh bluh, short post is crappy.))
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler armeggedonCounselor. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Chib†

Post by Chib† »

"Okay. We know what direction we were going in, so that's a a a good start. Except Hayley has a sense of direction like a semi-retarded beetle. Dammit."

There wasn't any time to respond.

Bang.

The sound went almost unnoticed, the first one at least. Ema almost mistook it for something imagined, caused by the thumping in her head. She'd hit that branch harder than she'd first thought. But it was soon joined by two more, two momentary silences punctuating them. Now, Ema had never heard a real gun fired, not before day three, at least. But she'd enough experience from fiction to know that a spread of sounds like that was gunfire, unmistakeably so.

The falcata was already in Ema's hand, so no action was neccesary to arm herself. What was neccesary was to decide what she was prepared to do with it. If it's defense, I think I can fight back... I think. But What if it isn't? Is it really any different by now? ... Fuck it, I'll work it out when I get there.

So without further ado, she turned to where Kyle had been, raising the sword to a more 'ready' position. She'd have said "Let's go." in that sort of cool, calm style, but he'd already gone. So much for the brief moment of badassery before probably messing up, then. Instead, she gripped her weapon in both hands, and set off at a sprint after him, towards the source of the gunshots.

It's all about surviving, and from here on in, that's an active commitment. Innocent and alive are gonna become mutually exclusive in a few days, might as well get a head start on it. Just staying ahead of the curve, right? Staying alive is a good enough reason to kill... right?

As much as she tried to convince herself it was best to make a choice, before there wasn't one, it just didn't quite seem to stick. Ema wanted to believe the only real option was to get a head start, to steel herself for the inevitable, she truly did. But she couldn't force herself to be comfortable with it. So, oddly, she hoped Hayley was in danger. She hoped for something to force her hand, to make her be ready. Because otherwise, she feared she never would be.

Bloody island, how am I meant to win if I don't want to play?
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Chib. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Killer_Moth†

Post by Killer_Moth† »

This was nice. Just the two of them, alone together. It was enough to shut out all that had been happening, if only for a moment. Just the warmth of feeling his body so close, his chest moving her head as he breathed. It was so pleasant. "I would have, you know. I'd have given you everything you ever wanted. I still would. I don't know why, maybe it's because you're the one person on this planet that I can really talk to.

"I love you, Morgan. And I don't mean like a brother, or like a friend. I know it's cheesy, but you complete me. Without you, I'm a shell. An actress, constantly trying to find a way to fit in. With you, I can be me. Jen Romita. Not crazy party girl Jen."

Jen was slowly moving closer to Morgan, feeling more and more of her body pressing against him, wrapping an arm around his neck. She brought her head up to his and gently turned him so they were face to face. "Do you want to kiss me?"

She barely heard the sound as the bullet struck her. Certainly she never felt anything. One moment, she was there, a warm, living human being. The next, a small piece of metal entered her skull at roughly the speed of sound and shattered both itself and her head. The entry wound was small, but the slug moved with such speed that the fragments created a gaping exit wound, taking with it bone and brain. Had she been conscious enough to realise, she may have been comforted by the fact that at least her face was intact. Even in death, she retained her features.

G044 - Jen Romita, Deceased
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Killer_Moth. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
GregTheAnti-Viking†

Post by GregTheAnti-Viking† »

((Morgan Leftowitz continued from Empire Ants))

Morgan had nearly tripped down the whole mountain in the rush to get towards their rescue. Because of this, he had grown tired and was once again out of breath. He made a mental note to himself that when he got home, he would get into better shape. Work out in the gym. It was worth it.

Jen had been able to keep up with him, and she too seemed to feel the same way about resting. Morgan place the rifle behind the log and the two of them just sat togeather. He had wondered where Marion and Frankie had gone, and he had hoped that they were following them.

The concern however faded away when Jen's head rested itself on his shoulder. This cause Morgan's body to go cold and warm up in the span of seconds. His breath was slow, but he could feel the heartrate accelerating. It wasn't always this bad being with Jen like this. Maybe. Maybe it was this stupid game, that was making it all come to a head. They had nearly died and now they were going home. And all this time, he had thought about Jen. Hell, he saw her naked, which was one part hot and two parts embarassing.

"Morgan...Why didn't you sleep with me when I offered you?"

With those words, Morgan went stiff. Did he just hear what he had though he had heard. Yes it was. The million dollar question...

And he had no real answer to that. Well that was a lie. He had about a thousand different answers. All pretty bad ones for a teenager now that he had thought about it. He wasn't ready for it. Ready for what exact? Ready for sex? Ready to admit what he had buried deep inside? Ready to say what he had wanted to say too many times before, but was too afraid to do so?

He opened his mouth to try and say something. The actual reason as to why he declined sex. But nothing came out.

"I love you, Morgan."

Morgan's heart stopped, and his gaze looked out into the distance. She...she...she loved him. She loved him. His brain was processing those three words over and over again. It was as if the biggest weight in the world. In his life. Had been lifted off of his chest. And now he was free.

Jen turned him to face her, and Morgan found himself staring into the deep brown eyes. There was a joy to be found. A joy that suddenly, Morgan had no fear of sharing. It was his turn now, his turn to say what he felt.

"Do you want to kiss me?"

Morgan closed his eyes, preparing himself for what he would say.

"Jen, I-"

Morgan heard three loud bangs. He felt the weight of Jen's arm slide down his shoulder. And then there was nothing but a ringing in his ears.

The boy opened his eyes and turned his head around, trying to find the source of the bangs. The sound had pratically deafened him and he found himself scouring the land as fast as he could. He then saw the body.

He stared at it. Blinking at first, as if it were some alien thing, laying on the ground. A red pool was forming around the head and was starting to seep into the grass.

Morgan's mind caught up with the image, and his body instantly leaped towards the figure. He made a sound, he didn't know what it was, it was more like a scream. He lifted up the head of Jen Romita and stared at her. Her eyes had gone blank and he suddenly felt the viscous ooze on his hands.

He kept on screaming something, but still couldn't hear past the ringing. He tried again, hoping that Jen would hear her. Would acknowledge him. Would touch him.

"-en! Jen! C'mon Jen! JEN! Please Jen! P-please! JEN WAKE UP!"

There was no response. There was nothing. His hand was now covered in blood and now, it was shaking. He placed the body of Jen Romita down on the ground and stared at it.

This couldn't be happening! He clearly was halucinating. Any moment now he would find himself still on the mountain. With Jen in tow on a search for the boat that would lead them home.

Any moment now...

He heard a rustling noise in the distance and his head whiped itself over to it. There was a figure standing there, he couldn't make out who it was, or how far away they were, but he didn't question anything after that. He grabbed his rifle and stood up. His face felt wet, and his head felt like a furnace. The cadence of his breath, faltering in and out. His heart, desperatly trying to break itself free from his chest.

He placed it up against his shoulders and scanned for the figure. Once he had found the mysterious person, Morgan felt something rumble out of his chest resembling a scream. And he pulled the trigger.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler GregTheAnti-Viking. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Hollyquin†

Post by Hollyquin† »

"-en! Jen! C'mon Jen! JEN! Please Jen! P-please! JEN WAKE UP!"

She was dead. Romita was dead. No way she was coming back up from that one, bullet to the head and all. Probably died before she knew what hit her. That was cold comfort for a frozen Hayley Kelly, who was entranced by the scene, by the flow of blood and by the boy's passionate cries. Had she hit him? No, apparently, he seemed okay. She cursed her luck- fuck, I need to pay more attention to what I'm aiming at. I'm a way better shot than this.

You just killed someone. Is that not bothering you?

Not really.

Well. Good on you, honeybee.

Shut up. I suddenly feel so much worse about everything I'm doing when YOU'RE proud of me.

It was around then that the boy picked up a rifle.

OH FUCK-

Hayley was gone. Apparently she had been wrong, dead wrong heh THIS IS NO TIME FOR PUNS about the whole oh I don't see a weapon, he must not have one thing. Yeah I really ought to think these things through. Holy fuck though, if I'd hit him I wouldn't be having this problem, FUCK and now I'm gonna have to deal with him later, none of this is good. All very, very bad, and-

She heard a sound. A horrifying, tortured sound, shortly followed by-

BANG

She had been moving, but she couldn't resist turning around to gaze in wonder at the bullet half-sunk into a tree behind her.

Did I just dodge a bullet?! That's SO FUCKING COOL!

No, wait, he probably just missed. Ah well, no time to ask-

She kept running. Direction was not important right now, getting the fuck outta this moon kingdom was the thing, and she was pretty sure the boy hadn't seen her face or where she'd run off to. So, she wasn't too worried. He'd know in the morning who'd killed Skank Romita but in the meantime, as long as she got out of this forest before he found her, he'd have no idea.

Kyle and Ema too. They'll be in danger. He's pissed, he's not gonna wait to notice they don't have guns...Fuck, how did I blow that shot?! One more and I could've got him, could've rid myself of all this bugging out, could've protected them properly, FUCK, I never thought I'd be so mad at myself for sucking at murder, that is NOT NORMAL. Survival of the Fittest, Jesus Christ...fun times all around. I've got three kills on my head now, I've gotta be in, like, the winners circle. Killer's circle. Whatever. Why isn't this bothering me? This should bother me. I am a terrible failure of a human being. Shit, I don't even believe that...

Kyle and Ema, though. What're they gonna think?

She didn't have time to ponder that further, because it was about then she smacked directly into Kyle.

"AAAH!" Hayley squeaked with surprise, but she regained her composure relatively quickly, considering the situation. She looked back and forth between the two, giving herself a moment to clear her head.

They'll have to know. They'll find out in the morning anyway and I'd rather not go through that again. It was hard enough the first time...So what do I do? Claim self defense? Or tell them the truth...? I don't want them to leave, but I don't want to lie about shit anymore. Fucking...hell.

Well. Maybe getting out of here's first priority?

"Guys," she said seriously, crossing her arms. "Do you two trust me? No, wait, don't answer that, it'll take too long. I don't care if you trust me or if you don't, and by all means you probably shouldn't, but I am going to run really fast that way-" and she pointed for emphasis- "and you should probably follow me. 'Kay? Lets make ourselves scarce."

And she dashed off, fast as she could.

Another step towards home...

[[Hayley Kelly continued in Instinct]]
armeggedonCounselor†

Another, louder, shot. It was a different weapon, that much was obvious from the sound of the shot. Kyle turned up the speed, starting to reach for his knife when....

WHAM!

He ran right into Hayley. Fortunately neither of them fell over, although the impact made Kyle's already tortured head ring again. She stood there surprised for a moment, then quickly stated that there was a pressing need to run. Kyle didn't even have time to open his mouth to respond before she had started off. With barely a moment's hesitation, he took off after her.

((Kyle Portman continued in Instinct))
Chib†

Post by Chib† »

Running, plenty of running. Apparently a lot more distance had been established than Ema had thought. Given the rather linear look the trees took on, moving at speed as she was, for just the briefest moment she found herself thinking "Running down corridors? What is this, Doctor Who?". Then she caught it, disapproved of the rather unhelpful comparison, and continued on with a little more focus.

And then, perhaps a few seconds later, a fourth gunshot filled the air. It wasn't hard to recognise it as decidedly different to the prior three. Probably from a bigger gun, too. Whether it was just a larger pistol, or something else entirely, Ema couldn't judge. She wasn't even sure if the first three shots had been from Hayley's gun or not. Any further thinking about the subject she might have done was interrupted by Hayley running head-on into Kyle, whom Ema had almost caught up with. With considerable haste, she made it clear that they were running in the wrong direction, and continued to flee back the way the three of them had come.

Did Ema trust Hayley? Hard to say. When the forgiveness she'd found had only started in what she was starting to suspect was just a bad excuse for a romantic dream, trust was certainly not concrete. But what she did trust was that if someone with two kills under her belt and a gun in her hand was running in fear, running with them was probably a good idea. Besides, she was pretty sure Hayley still wanted her and Kyle to stay alive too.

The couple had managed to seperate and continue off to the... south? Yeah, probably the south... and without further pause for thought, Ema followed suit.

[Ema Ryan --> Instinct]
Badb†

Post by Badb† »

((Frankie Fiametta, continued from Empire Ants and here the whole time, honest.))

Frankie had raced down the mountain after Jen and Morgan, and noticed the paparazzi sneak off when she thought no one was looking. Yeah, she'd caught you, bitch. Right before she had to sprint after Jen and Morgan for the thirtieth fucking time. Shit did those two run fast. They made their way down the mountain, through what seemed like endless stretches of woodland on their way to the harbour and the rescue boat that awaited them. Frankie had gotten a nagging feeling that they were going the complete wrong fucking way, but she didn't raise too many objections.

C'mon, Frankie. Play nice, just this once.

They came to a stop somewhere in the woods, at a clearing of sorts. For once, Frankie didn't want to stop. She wanted to keep on moving, actually get there before it got dark, but they had other things in mind. They stopped, Jen asking why Morgan wouldn't fuck her. As if that fucking mattered right now. Frankie kept her distance, tried not to get in the way. Decided to chip in when they resolved the tension that was probably making Marybeth Witherspoon's ears prick up from across the island. But they carried on, and Frankie decided to call out to them.

"Christ, can we stop talking about fucking each other and get a fucking move on?" Frankie's expression dropped as she noticed the lardass bitch waddling towards them. "...shit."

Fuck, was the landwhale holding a gun? Great, now she was pointing it at them. Oh, that wasn't good at al- bang. The gunshot rang loud in Frankie's ears as she struggled to process what had just happened. Was she hurt? Had she been shot? Frankie dived behind a rock, hitting the floor hard.

Face first. As if she didn't have enough problems as it was. For a few seconds, Frankie's world went black.

3, 2, 1, Back in the room.

After that, it was all a blur, and not in the "Ugh, What the fuck happened last night?" blur. That she could have handled. Those were even almost fun sometimes, depending on the circumstances. No, this was just a mess. Jen was lying on the floor with her insides spilling out, and Morgan was screaming and shooting, and there was some fat bitch and ugh her head was hurting and her vision was getting blurry and oh God was this not looking good right now. Frankie drew deep breaths as she scrambled out of her impromptu hidey-hole.

Frankie pushed herself up to her knees. Oh hell no. This was not how this shit was going down.

From the jumbled mess in her head right now, they all seemed to have so much to say, but only one word escaped Frankie's lips.

"...Fuck."
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the former handler Badb.
GregTheAnti-Viking†

Post by GregTheAnti-Viking† »

Morgan was able to keep his balance, but only just. The force of the gun acting against him made him step backwards. A loud grunt rumbled out of his chest and his arms turned rubber.

The figure, the person that had fired the gun, was gone. Morgan didn't hit them, so far as he could tell. They had gotten away with it all. He was alone with Jen...

The rumbling in his head began to fade when his thoughts returned to Jen. He quickly tossed his rifle to the ground and turned to where his childhood friend now lay. His steped gingerly towards her body, the church-like atmosphere making his steps as silent as he could make them. He couldn't stop the water pouring out of his eyes.

He had been so close. Jen had told him how she felt, she loved him. He was going to kiss her. He was finally going to admit how much he had loved her. Then they would find that boat. They would sail away. It...it would be the way he always wanted it to be...

Now what.

Morgan's quivering body fell to its knees. His hands cupped around his mouth, trying to keep his sobbing hidden. He stared, looking at the bloody pool that Jen's head was now resting. It was so peaceful, like she was in a funeral. But she had her eyes open, they were still staring, at nothing in particular, but they were still staring...

"Fuck..."

Morgan's head whiped to where the sound came from. It was Frankie...How long had she been there? Did she see who had shot her?

Did it really matter?

No...

Whether she knew of not wasn't going to help anything.

"F-Frankie."

Morgan stared at her for a moment, but couldn't face her. Not right now. His hands now reached to the girl he loved, and brought her head to his chest. The sobbing had stopped, but the tears did not.

Morgan had failed.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler GregTheAnti-Viking. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.

Return to “The Woods: South-Eastern”