Lean on Me

semi-private, transitioning into day 3

The logging road leading from the sawmill to the woods separates both halves of the felled forest. It shows a lot of recent use, with tracks from the logging trucks grooved into dirt. In the middle of the road is one of the logging trucks, still with its last load of cargo. The keys are nowhere to be found in or around the truck. Though it won't be moving, the truck provides the closest amount of cover for at least a mile radius.
Rocky†

Lean on Me

Post by Rocky† »

((Reiko Ishida continued from Walk The Line))

Reiko Ishida had reached her limit. After her little run in with Maxwell, she found herself on some sort of roadway. It appeared to be completely barren except for some sort of vehicle a few feet away from her. Going as fast as her body would allow her, Reiko hobbled to the truck. In her frantic escape from Maxwell, the girl had used up what little energy she had left, which when combined with the injuries she suffered over the last day and a half and the fact she had barely eaten, did not make for a good combination.

When Reiko made it to the truck, she leaned heavily on it, her breath heavy. She couldn't recall a situation where she had ever felt as tired as she did at that moment, but she couldn't afford to stop now. She had to keep moving, stopping was not an option. She still needed to find Kris, to make her pay for what she did. First she would need to find a weapon though. Get a weapon, find Kris. That was her mission.

Deciding that her little break was over, Reiko turned so her side was facing the truck. Standing up straight, her right hand on the truck for support, the girl started walking again. She took one step.... two.... three steps, then promptly fell forward, her body finally deciding it had had enough. Reiko lay in the dirt beside the truck for a moment, before she began to crawl forward. She didn't get very far until her vision faded to black, forcing her into an unconscious state.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the former handler Rocky.
Namira

Post by Namira »

((Kris continued from Where There Is Fire, We Will Carry Gasoline))

Morning, it was morning. Kris was still dazed, hadn't come all that far from the felled forest and ... that. Had she really been staggering around all night before encountering the sku... Al... before coming to her sense? What the fuck was going on with her, seriously?

Besides being a murderer thrice over and some kind of sociopath, obviously.

As Kris staggered along the dirt track that passed for a road, her pistol was still held tightly in her right hand. Like it had so many times in the past, her left was over by the opposite side. However, now, it wasn't clutching at her wrist, keeping it there... it was stroking the gun slowly, fingers tracing the entirity of its surface - every groove and contour, almost lovingly. It wasn't restraint, it was an unconscious acceptance.

Kris stopped in her tracks as a truck loomed up in front of her, seemingly appearing from nowhere. She hesitated, then stumbled over as she set off again, pistol hitting the side of the vehicle with a clang. All the frantic energy within her suddenly boiling away, Kris turned... and simply slid all the way down the side of the truck until seated on the floor.

Tired... no sleep. Nightmare...
Rocky†

Post by Rocky† »

When Reiko finally woke up, it was already morning. Her body had just completely shut down, and judging by how much light there was, she had slept through the announcements. She also hurt in her.... well everywhere. Her face felt bruised, and she no doubt was sporting a wicked shiner on one of her eyes. conversely, her ribs felt like hell, and her were stiff from laying on the ground for so long.

Reiko heard some commotion on the other side of the truck she had passed out near. Despite her better judgement, the girl's curiosity as to who it was got the better of her. Crawling painfully to the truck, Reiko pulled herself up into a standing position, groaning from the pain of forcing herself to do such a thing.

Once she was up and her footing was stable, Reiko made her way around to the other side of the vehicle, keeping a hand on it's surface for support. No doubt whoever was on the other side had heard all the commotion, so Reiko was fully expecting to meet someone on the other side pointing a gun in her face or ready to tackle her or something. Whatever, if someone attacked her at this point she wouldn't be much of a fight anyways, being injured and unarmed.

When Reiko did make her way to the other side, what she saw was a girl sitting on the side of the truck. A girl who looked familiar. Of course she did, Reiko had been in numerous classes with her. More importantly, it was the person she had been looking for in the last day. Kris Hartmann. Reiko wanted nothing more than to just charge the girl who killed her sister and rip her throat out with her bare hands, but the rational part of her brain told her that would be a really bad idea.

"Bitch...." was all Reiko could think of to say at that point, but it was no doubt enough to draw the attention of the other girl, and Reiko was sure to use the attention she was given by the girl who she had been searching for. Maybe if she could get the gun out of her hands....
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the former handler Rocky.
Namira

Post by Namira »

Kris' vision was blurred, out of focus. Fatigue tore at her and though she wanted to get up, keep moving, away from... away from what? Away from something, she found that her limbs weren't responding. Completely leaden. She couldn't even muster up the energy to care that whatever it was she was moving away from was en route to catching up wif she didn't move.

Kris had a feeling that it, whatever it was, had made up the difference already. Or maybe... maybe it hadn't even needed to chase her. Maybe it had caught up a long time ago. Maybe it was looming over her right now with a smug little grin, exulting in all the things she'd done, bouncing bleeding skulls off the terrain.

Maybe it hadn't even had to pursue her in the first place.

Somebody spoke. The skater turned dull eyes around... and then up to the source of the noise. She wondered if it would be another spectre, something that would turn out to be an illusion of the truth. But no... standing there was a person person, they looked a little familiar, they...

All the fog was instantly dispelled, Kris' eyes snapped wide open, recognition dawning. Reiko, oh god, it was Reiko Ishida. Kris just stared at the other girl for a long couple of seconds. What was there to say to her? Kris had shot her sister dead, had two more names to her tally at this point. What did Reiko's own kills matter? They didn't alter Kris' crimes, they didn't take away the feelings that the other girl had to be experiencing. What if somebody had killed Alexander, her little brother? Exactly. Everything else would just... pale into insignificance. Whatever judgements, insults that Reiko could throw at her... would sit easily on her head.

...No apologies...
Rocky†

Post by Rocky† »

Kris just stared. She stared at Reiko and did nothing else. This pissed of the girl to no end. She expected there to be more when she finally caught up with the one who killed Reika. Maybe some apologies, perhaps begging. Hell, she would have preferred her to come out swinging, but no. She just stared. Reiko wanted to smack the look off her face, however at that point Reiko's body wasn't having any of that. About the only thing that didn't hurt was her mouth. Damned if she wasn't going to use it.

"So what, got nothing to say for yourself?" Reiko began, "You probably feel all high and mighty right now with your fucking gun, knowing that all you have to do is point and pull and bam, I'm gone. Was that how it was with Reika too? It must have been sooooo easy. She probably didn't even put up much of a fight either. Oh, but you wouldn't care. Just one less person to deal with on the way to the top, right?"

Despite the protests in her body, Reiko took two steps forward. "Too bad you didn't take one thing into consideration when you took her life. You forgot the family. Although, you're smart, so you probably knew I would find you. Probably anticipated it even. Probably thought 'hey, maybe I can take both of those damn Ishida's out'. Now wouldn't that be an accomplishment?" Kris just stared the whole time.

Reiko staggered to Kris and sunk to her knees. Now that she was face to face with her sister's killer, her anger reached it's peak. Her hands shot up, her tiny fingers wrapping around the collar of her shirt. "ARE YOU FUCKING LISTENING TO ME?!" Reiko yelled in her face, shaking the skater by her shirt. "DON'T YOU HAVE ANYTHING TO SAY FOR YOURSELF! SAY SOMETHING DAMMIT!"
Yvaine†

Post by Yvaine† »

((Etain Brennan continued from Sometimes Sanctuary isn't that Far Away

Etain was tired, not quite exhausted, but plenty tired. After making like a tree and getting the hell out of there, the scene alone the cliffs was never far from his mind. Chadd's nosedive off the cliff and his less then perfect reentry were more then enough to convince Etain that this was the real deal, even more then that chick on the beach. Like the bullets whipping past him weren't enough to clue that in. It was only after seeing Chadd meet his demise did it really sink in. This wasn't some screwy dream, this was it. Life or freakin' death.

Naturally, he thought of Kris. More then the simple worry for a gir-for a friend, it was her name on the announcements. That she had killed someone wasn't a real surprise, not after finding the girl in the swamp. Maybe one could be excusable. Maybe. But that she had been mentioned twice? That wasn't, couldn't be right. He knew Kris, had know her for years,it wasn't right. There had to be something he didn't know. That the prick on the announcements didn't feel like including. Suffice to say, it was what occupied most of his thoughts.

After a fitful night's sleep outside the sawmill, the boy was more then ready to devote his day to trying to find his friend. There hadn't been much luck the first two days, but third time the charm, right? His luck couldn't be worse, anyway. Wait, scratch that. His luck was bad enough without jinxing himself.

Eventually, he found himself wandering down the logging road, only a short ways off from where he'd passed out at. It would have been prudent to keep his eyes peeled for, well, anything, but his thoughts couldn't stop from wondering. About Kris, about Tabi, about the dick Russian who slugged him. Where Kris and Tabi were, if they were okay. What he would say to Kris when he found her, what she could possibly say to explain herself.

The sudden shouting that seemed to materialize from nowhere made him jump more then a little. His hand fumbled for the detonator, but faltered when he realized that the sudden outburst was coming from the truck. All common sense suggested booking it, heading in the opposite direction as fast as possible. Then again, he really wasn't to listen to his common sense. Still, maybe keep the detonator handy, huh? Etain crept forward, trying to keep silent and inconspicuous. He saw Reiko first, shouting as someone below her. That was Reiko, right? It was man near impossible keep them in order. As a famous Jedi once said, he had a bad feeling about this. Naturally, as this was the worst situation it'd be possible to find her in, it made perfect sense that Kris was the one sitting below her.

Still, what better use for his trademark (not really) humor and irresistible (again, not really) charm. Etain stepped forward wearing a broad grin that hopefully didn't look as forced as it felt. This was stupid, he knew. Really stupid. Kris was armed, probably along with Reiko. All this would do was get him killed, probably. Still, he couldn't exactly leave Kris hanging, could he? "Kris? Geez, make a guy run all across the island, why don't ya? And here Ah thought that we 'ad such fun a' prom." Still playing the fool, Etain flashed a grin at Reiko. "And who might yer friend be? Ya tink ya might introduce me?" Yeah, he was definitely going get his ass killed in about ten seconds, give or take.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the former handler Yvaine.
Namira

Post by Namira »

I'm sorry.

Didn't mean...

Accident.

She startled...

I freaked out

I can't...

It wasn't my...

Why would you

My gun was...

Didn't try to

I-I'm sorry...

Scraps of thoughts came and went in her head. Sentences half formed, then simply blew away on the wind, died on her lips. Reiko's words were wrong, weren't true, Kris told herself, but somewhere, they hit the mark. Nobody normal shot somebody else, no matter the circumstances, nobody with a clean conscience had nightmares of skulls terminating in corpses, nobody who wasn't a killer, a player, pulled the trigger. Reika startled her, but Kris chose to fire.

Reiko had all the right in the world to rail against her.

So Kris took the abuse the other girl hurled at her with blank eyes, just staring straight at Reiko's face. They seemed like... justice, they seemed like all the things that Kris had been telling herself ever since that first moment in the swamp. She was worthless, a nothing, craven. A selfish coward who put their life and well-being above all else, even the lives and happiness of other people. And she... deserved this.

Killer...

Part of her... strained at a leash, rattled the bars of an internal cage. Gnashed its teeth and snarled at the world. It wanted her to raise her hand, still clutching the gun, raise it right up, point it straight into Reiko's stupid angry face and pull the trigger. Watch, smile and enjoy as the hot lead punched through the centre of her nose and blew a bloody crater straight through the centre of...

NO.

Kris' hand twitched violently, unseen to the enraged Reiko, then lay still. The girl probably never realised how close she came to being tick box number four. Kris didn't move again, not even when Reiko seized hold of her in her rage, just let herself get shaken back anf forth like some kind of rag doll. As Reiko tailed off a little, Kris' eyes sharpened their focus, and locked on Reiko's. Her eyes, on a normal day, bright, exuberant and lively, were little more than pained.

"What... what do you want me to say? I can't make this right. Not now, not in a hundred years. I can't change what I did and I can't excuse it either. Reiko I... what can I say? It won't... it won't change it. I killed her, I took this fucking gun and I... I shot her. Is that what you want? A fucking confession? You want me to fucking write it out and sign it!? YES I FUCKING DID IT LOOK HOW FUCKING HAPPY I AM YOU FOTZE!"

Then...

She froze.

"E-Etain?"

Kris hadn't wanted to see him. Hadn't wanted to confront him over what had happened in the swamp. Just... couldn't face up to it. But now? Three days later and with another two corpses to her name? She needed him so badly. Kris didn't know where they stood, didn't know where their rleationship was going and at the moment, didn't give a flying fuck.

She scrambled up, shoving Reiko aside without a single thought, and ran for Etain. Kris' grip on the gun loosened and for the first time since pulling it out of her pack some 60 hours previously... it left her hand. The pistol went tumbling to the ground, bouncing once before settling in the dirt. Kris hurled herself at her b...friend, leaped, really. Clasped him fervently around the chest and buried her face in the crook of his neck.

He sits. Winks at her. ""Fer future reference, Ah'm a firm fan ah the flyin' hug. Jus' ta let ya know."

Unashamedly and without reserve, Kris started sobbing against Etain.
Rocky†

Post by Rocky† »

Finally, Kris spoke. What she said didn't really matter, at least she acknowledged Reiko, and what she was dealing with. That was all she needed. To look Reika's killer in the eye and know she felt something about it. Giving the girl one last shake, she shoved her into the bed of the truck, letting go of her grip. She was just getting ready to say something back when...

...a voice piped up nearby. Reiko took a cursory glance at the newcomer before being shoved aside by Kris. Fuck, she wasn't done with her yet. She still had more that she needed to get out of her system, and she was damned if she was letting Kris off easy. The skater had been lucky Reiko wasn't armed, or else she wouldn't be having her happy little reunion with her friend right at that moment. Thankfully for Reiko, the two seemed to be otherwise occupied.

Something about seeing Kris reunited with her friend managed to piss the girl off even more. A harsh reminder that there were people she was close to that she wouldn't see again, and yet the very person who murdered two of those very people got the satisfaction of reuniting with... whatever his name was. It was unfair and Reiko was not happy to say the least.

Kris wasn't out of this yet. Not by a long shot. Reiko wasn't finished, and thankfully for her, Kris made a fatal mistake. As quick as her body would let her, the girl scrambled along the ground and grabbed the pistol the other girl had let out of her grasp. The gun was large in her tiny hands, but she managed to get a good grasp on it using both hands. Pointing the gun at Kris's exposed back, Reiko let a small smirk cross her feature.

"Awww look at the little fucking love birds. Imagine if I were to just pull the trigger right now. One shot two kills! How very tragic."
Yvaine†

Post by Yvaine† »

So, he might have hoped for a better time to jump in, judging by the climate he found himself in. Reika/o was screaming at Kris, Kris was screaming at Reiko/a, everyone was like a big happy family. Or, you know, not. After all, he could hardly expect to find Kris and it turn into some sort of rom-com reunion. Shouting and death threats were probably the best he could have hoped for, or at least what he should have expected.

Don't get him wrong, he was completely on Kris' side. Totally, all the way on her side. That didn't mean Reika/o didn't have a perfectly good reason for being upset. Kris had killed her sister. That wasn't alright. The remaining Ishida's behavior was justified and Etain felt for her. That still didn't mean he was going to let her have Kris.

After all, what kind of cold-blooded killer breaks down and cries? Though he sort of doubted Reiko/a would take that as an excuse. And that left him staring down the barrel of a gun while Kris sobbed against him. If he wanted to take a cold, clinical approach, he might remark that it was hardly an ideal situation. Instead, he cursed his rotten luck and the horrible situation he found himself in. Well, you had to take the good with the bad. Find your best friend; deal with the revenge-fueled justice seeker. Standard stuff.

Etain wrapped a protective hand around Kris' waist, turning slightly so that she was less of a target. So, a way out of this, then. He wasn't carrying a gun, so at least it wouldn't get to Mexican stand-off territory. He was, on the other hand, carrying high-explosives. If that wasn't a bargaining chip, he didn't know what was. With his free hand, Etain removed the detonator from his pocket and held it up so there was no mistaking it for anything else. But, just in case, he started with an explanation. "Ya might not recognize this, so Ah'll explain. It's a remote to some wicked explosives." For empasis, he patted the bag hanging off his shoulder before continuing. "Sure, ya could shoot us. Ya could do tha', but ya wont. I figure yer revenge scheme involves keepin' yerself alive, aye? Unless ya tink ya can survive an explosion at this range, Ah'd keep yer finger of tha trigger."

So, turning himself into a bomb was one approach. Maybe not the smartest idea, but his options were pretty limited at present. Unless there was something he was totally missing, there wasn't much else he could do. If he didn't do anything, they were both going to get shot anyway. Hopefully the prospect of getting blown to hell would be enough to make the girl rethink that. "It's like this. All of us walk away, or none of us walk away."
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the former handler Yvaine.
Namira

Post by Namira »

As Kris grasped Etain in the tightest embrace of her life, tears flowing practically straight onto him, she wasn't sure if she'd have cared if Reiko had made good on her threat. Kris didn't know why the other girl hadn't done so, as it happened. Reiko had the right to shoot, far moreso than she'd ever done when ... well pick a time. There were four. They all qualified for the comparison. Maybe she wanted to savour it. Maybe she actually had a conscience about shooting people.

The skater didn't reply to the mocking taunt, it didn't matter. Etain was there, it was all that mattered. She hadn't wanted him before, couldn't deal with his... understanding. Because he would've done. He would've made excuses for her, he would've forgiven her for killing Reika. He would've told her that it would all be okay and that Kris wasn't a bad person, it had all been an accident. And it hadn't been. Kris had made the decision not to toss that gun all that time ago. How could she have shot somebody without meaning it? In a way... Amber, Albert... killing them made seeing Etain again... bearable. He wasn't delusional, he couldn't fabricate reasons for her in the face of so much evidence.

Kris wouldn't let him lie about her, no matter how badly he wanted to.

She shifted around to look at Reiko over her shoulder, eyes glistening, regarding the gun that was being pointed at her. It was almost repugnant to her. She didn't want it back. Kris thought of those tendrils, wending their way through her arm, dark, spined tentacles burrowing into her flesh... shuddered. Clung to Etain like an anchor to reality.

And in spite of the threat of Etain blowing them to kingdom come, Kris was perfectly calm on that count. There was inner turmoil about... everything. But going out with such a bang, vapourising all of them? ...She didn't mind. Kris turned her face back into Etain's chest, closed her eyes, and just waited.

It's...okay. Contentment? ...Resignation. Deserved
KamiKaze

Post by KamiKaze »

((Carol Burke continuing in from Missing Those Lost))

She trudged on.

Hermione... why? Why did she have to do that? It made no sense.

Carol could remember it all; the smell of smoke and burnt flesh, the sound of the explosion and her head falling to the ground... she didn't want to remember. But it stayed there, like a dirt stain on a white shirt that would never come out.

It seemed like hours had passed as she wandered. Occasionally she would rest, sometimes dozing off, but soon she would be on her way. And now, she was resting again, sitting on the ground with her head bowed and eyes closed.

She just wanted to go home, and perhaps take a shower or something. Nothing made sense anymore. She just wished that-

Carol lifted her head and looked up.

Was that shouting?

"Awww look at the little fucking love birds. Imagine if I were to just pull the trigger right now. One shot two kills! How very tragic."

It... sounded familiar. Like a voice Carol hadn't heard in a long time. Was it...?

She lifted her gun off the ground and quietly padded over to the source of the sound. Soon, she was introduced to a strange sight farther off down the path.

Reiko was pointing a gun at two different people. One of these people she recognized as... oh god, Kris Hartmann. Reika and Amber's murderer. Carol felt her eyes widen considerably, as her heart beat increased. Oh god, what was she going to do? She knew Reiko had killed people by this point, but Reiko was in the end Reiko, and always will be. And Kris... oh god, what was the right thing to do? And where was Simon, Rein, and Kari? Would they know the right thing to do?

The guy... what was his name? In any case, he was holding something up. Explosives... uh oh. People were going to die here. Reiko. Her friend. Was going to get blown up.

And that's when Carol knew what she had to do. And that was "get Reiko the hell out of there". She wanted to save Reiko, not only from Kris, but from herself. Reiko was still a good person, right? It wasn't as if she wanted to kill... right? She was just upset that Kris... took her sister away. That had to be it. That was the solution.

So, Carol made her choice. Leaving her bags behind, she quietly walked over to the group, gun in hand. Her heart continued to race. Was she doing the right thing? What would happen if they attacked her, or she pulled the trigger?

She stopped, and raised her gun, though making sure not to point it at anyone. Carol took a deep breath, and spoke.

"Guys... I don't want anyone to be hurt here. I think you two should leave. I don't want any more to be killed..."

And that's when a thought occurred to her. She had a gun, and so did Reiko. Kris and this guy was at their mercy. Did this mean... vengeance? If they just let them run away, Amber and Reika would... they would never be punished for Kris's murder of them. Ever.

Carol tried her best to push those thoughts aside. That wasn't the answer, right? Even if the gun gave her a sense of power. She wasn't a murderer, that she knew. Right? She wouldn't actually pull the trigger on them... Carol was the happy girl, the nice, friendly one. She always was there to help her friends. That was all she wanted to do right now; help her friend. Nothing more, nothing less.
Grim Wolf

Post by Grim Wolf »

(Simon Grey continued from Missing Those Lost)

Simon wasn't entirely sure how Carol had managed to stay ahead of him, but he let that question pass. Kari was still missing--where the hell had she gotten off to?--but they didn't have time to look for her. Gary was probably the closest behind Carol, as things stood--Rein, last time Simon had checked, was the furthest behind.

He heard the voices, too--tense, angry. Heard the promise of violence in every word, even if he couldn't understand what most of them were saying.

He hesitated. He didn't really want to get involved anymore; even though he hadn't interacted with many people outside his group, he'd heard the sounds of fighting all around the island, heard the names Danya rattled off. Most of those might be understandable, but some of those were surely the results of malice, and Simon didn't want to risk his neck just to break up a bunch of dumb fucks who couldn't be trusted to keep themselves together.

And then he remembered Hermione Miller, and how he had been unable to do anything to save her. And then he remembered that Naoko Raidon had been named as a killer, and Raidon freaked out at even the first hint of violence.

Simon felt his throat tighten.

When he broke out to one side, Carol was already standing there. Of the three others, he recognized only Reiko Ishida. Hers was one of the few names that had stuck with him through the Announcements--she had, according to Danya, been responsible for a great bit of mayhem.

He lifted his gun.

Carol seemed to know these people--as best he could tell, she was entreating them to stop fighting. Simon agreed with the sentiment, but he was sure as hell not going to stand around as people died, not only out of sight but before his very eyes.

"I'd like it if there were no more killing," Simon affirmed. "But I'm not goin' to just ask."
Those Whose Time Has Come]

Terra Johnson (female student no. 73, DECEASED): Oh...duh...Abel's...dead...the one who...lives is...

Tom Swift (male student no. 60): It didn't matter what he wanted anymore.

Daria Bhatia (female student no. 56): "I pity you, and everyone who knows you. Because if you can live with this, I don't...I don't think you're human anymore.”

[+] Those Who Have Gone Before
[/url]

V6

Alex Tarquin (male student no. 32: "No more...masks..."

Tara Behzad (female student no. 12): "They don't get to decide how I die."

Lizzie Luz: "I don't want to go."

V5

Tyler Lucas: "I had fun. You?"

Karen Idel: Game over.

Xavier Contel: "G-gotta...trust people, Arthur. G-g-gotta try. C-can't be afraid."

v4

Naoko Raidon (male student no. 54): Dying like...this isn't...so...bad...

Mirabelle Nesa: "I'm a weak little girl who couldn't save anyone, even myself, but god damn it I beat you and god damn it you are going to remember that because I am Mirabelle Nesa and I am a hardened goddamn warrior and I am not going to fucking give up now!"

Simon Grey: "I never was a hero, but, God help me, I tried."

David Meramac: "Running towards nothing. Running from nothing."
Rocky†

Post by Rocky† »

Reiko's aim didn't waver. The barrel of the gun remained pointed at Kris's back, the boy's threats only vaguely passing through her mind. Sure, he had explosives. But unless his reflexes were somewhere in the range of the speed of sound, he would be dead before he even got a chance to hit the button. Pull the trigger, Kris is dead, interfering boy was dead, walk away. Simple as that.

Except that it wasn't. If it had just been Kris, Reiko would have long since fired the gun and have been on with it. That would have been easy. After all, she had been searching for Kris all this time. Her life was the single largest drive for her right now. Had she been in this situation the day prior, the boy wouldn't have been an issue either. Whatever it took to make sure that Reika could rest easy.

That was until she killed her last... well victim. Raina was the only one who was, in Reiko's mind at least, truly innocent of the lives she took. She hadn't realized this at the time, but she had had a lot of time to think. Everyone else had fought back, or attacked first, but Raina just... lay there. She didn't want another situation like that again.

It was somewhat fortunate at that moment that another voice cut through the silence, demanding the other two to leave. As much as she didn't want to let Kris out of her grasp, unless she could get her separated from her friend, she would have to let her go. Looking at the source of the voice, she saw a very familiar face holding a shot gun pointed at Kris and the boy. Reiko practically cried out in relief as she noticed that the girl holding the gun was Carol Burke. Finally! After all this time she had spent alone, she found one of her friends. The girl was backed up by another, a boy that wasn't very familiar to her. However, he wasn't pointing his weapon at her, so she was okay with him. For now.

As much as it pained her to see her chance for closure escape, Reiko knew it was going to happen. Sighing, she said to Kris and the boy, "You heard them. Leave now, and I'll think about not hunting your ass down." Despite the fatigue in her arms that was starting to accumulate, Reiko kept the gun steady, pointed at Kris's back still. She didn't know how much longer she could resist pulling the trigger. With any luck, they would heed their words and escape.
Yvaine†

Post by Yvaine† »

Etain waited for the moment Reiko/a's finger would tense on the trigger. He knew it had to be coming any second now, as soon as she got her nerve up. Honestly, he really hoped she didn't. He liked being in one piece and not splattered all over the road. Being not blown up was a good look for him, and he wasn't that eager to switch to something that extreme. Well, that and the fact it would be a real crummy way to die, going out with a bang withstanding. But, the fact they weren't dead, him and Kris that is, showed that the girl wasn't writing him off completely. Right?

The Irish boy decided he was probably to get the both of them killed when a few new faces showed up on the scene. A, what a wonderful surprise, they were all armed! Even better, they were with Reika/o. So, getting shot and blowing everyone up started to seem less like a possibility and more like a set conclusion, which sucked for a number of reasons. Outside the obvious ones like being dead, he didn't really want to kill anyone.

Then it seemed like the Luck O' The Irish was going to come through for once. Not only were they offering a way out, they were doing it without even shooting them a little. Win-win! Yeah, he was definitely a fan of doing this without any explosions or getting shot. Judging by the state of Kris, she would probably be fine with too. Even after the offer, the girl speaking didn't lower the gun. It made him think he might walk only to be shot in the back.

Still, at least it was a possibility. He craned his head forward and said softly to Kris, "Ya ready to get goin'?" Slowly, he started to ease back away from the trio, one arm still around Kris and the other keen on the detonator. "Well, thank ya fer not shootin' us. Ah'm sure me friend 'ere appreciates it, too." Quickening his pace, Etain made his way down the road, keeping his body covering Kris just in case they changed their minds. To be honest, this all seemed a little too good to be true. The sister of a girl Kris had killed was just letting them go because her friends showed up? Sure. He kept thinking firing squad. A little desperate to inject some levity into the situation, Etain flashed a tense grin at Kris. "Where would ya be witout me, huh? Ya plannin' on talkin' some other fella inta carryin' ya around, or am Ah gettin' tha special treatment?"

Assuming they weren't executed, it was one thing checked of his list, so not totally insurmountable. Now all he had to do was fashion some sort of boat and sail into the sunset with dear Kris. Or something. Failing that, he might content himself with explanations. Fragile state or no, there were a few things that needed clearing up. Like, well, shooting a few people. Just for a start, anyway.

((Etain Brennan continued in Nothing But Soundwaves))
Fiori

Post by Fiori »

((Maxwell Lombardi continued from Your Cross to Bear))
[+] Optional Dream Sequence
Okay, where the hell am I?

It wasn't often that Maxwell found himself standing literally in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by an endless sea of darkness that covered everything but a small circle of light he happened to be standing on, illuminating him and nothing more. There was a certain eeriness that perpetrated the place that would have haunted even the most bravest of souls. Even Maxwell was spooked to the core by the sheer nothingness that surrounded him, although if one were to observe him it wouldn't seem evident that he was the least bit bothered.

However, after a while it dawned upon him that he wasn't surrounded by complete and absolute darkness. Because in front of him stood about five silhouettes that he could barely make out. They were people, that enough was evident, although who they actually were perplexed him. All he could make out was that they were each standing in an upright position, at differing heights, and that they were all staring in his direction...

Alright, I've had enough... What on earth is going one? Who ARE these people? WHY am I here? What does this have to do with anything?

"Isn't it obvious?

He froze. That voice... He was very familiar with it. Too familiar in fact. After all, who wouldn't be familiar with their own voice?

He turned around, and sure enough, standing there with his hands in his pocket was none other then himself. Only, he looked different. His clothes were clean and unspoiled, whilst Maxwell's had the telltale signs of conflict about them. It was as if he was staring at a version of himself before he entered the island, like some kind of vision of himself from the past.

It wasn't long before it began to speak to him in that all too familiar voice. "Well well Maxwell... I have to say, I'm disappointed with you. Whatever happened to the whole 'Playing along is for sheep' mentality you started out with?"

Maxwell frowned. It was all starting to make sense now... "What are you supposed to be, my conscience or something?"

"I suppose that's one way of looking at it... You could also say i'm the last shred of common sense left in you."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"What I'm trying to say here, Maxwell, is that you've only been here for two days and already you've become the very thing you loathed: A weak minded sheep whose gone with the flow and played along like a good little boy... Thats not the Maxwell I know. The Maxwell I know wasn't a blatant hypocrite."

"Hypocrite? Is it hypocritical to change one's mind when they realise they're on the path to destruction? If I continued looking for a nonviolent way off the island, I would have shared the same fate of all history's famous pacifists... Lying dead with a bullet in my skull."

"Hey, i'm just pointing out the obvious... Its not my fault you've picked the path of a serial killer doomed to fail miserably..."

He'd had enough of this. He wasn't going to stand around and allow himself be taunted by his own psyche, not when there were much better things he could be doing...

"Alright, enough is enough..." he said to his reflection before turning around and walking off into the darkness, content to walk until this pathetic 'nightmare' was over.

"You can't escape fate Maxwell... You were doomed the moment you ended another man's life with your own bare hands. You'll see soon enough that nobody can escape their just deserts. You'll see Maxwell... You'll see...
The young Brit woke up with a splitting headache after spending the night sleeping against a fallen log, his bag and equipment laid beside him in a strew fashion.

After he'd fled from the forest where Daniel Blessing now lay silently, he wondered tired and out of breath through an endless forest of stumps before falling fast asleep against a particularly large log which made for an adequate, if uncomfortable, shelter. It wasn't exactly the highly expensive commodity he was used to, but who was he to complain. He'd finally managed to get a decent couple of hours worth of rest. What more could he really ask for?

He yawned to himself and unzipped the two bags he was carrying along with him, taking whatever useful items such as ammunition and rations he could from Daniel's bag and placing them in his own. He opened his bottle of water and emptied half of it onto his hands, which were still stained with Daniel's dried blood. He managed to get most of it off, but the distinctive smell of blood was still evident. He'd have to use soap if he was to clean it entirely... Not now though. I have other things to attend to.

He ate a quick lunch, consuming the last of his original loaf of bread. Thankfully, he had four more in reserve. And he didn't doubt for a second that he'd need them for the upcoming days. He also took the opportunity to reload his two pistols, including the one he'd recently acquired from that boy. He didn't think to reload the TEC-9 however, the thought not occurring to him that there were only four bullets left in it...

Alrighty. Now then, lets see that ma...

"ARE YOU FUCKING LISTENING TO ME?!"

...No way.

He recognized that shrewish voice all too well. A voice that crass and irritating could only belong to Reiko Ishida... The insipid girl who had become a thorn in his side ever since he first arrived. Her presence could only mean one thing... He cocked his TEC-9 silently and smiled. It seemed as though fate was favouring Maxwell that day.

He peaked over the log he was hiding behind in the direction of her voice, hoping to be able to pick her off whilst her back was turned. Unfortunately, as it happened there was a truck a dozen or so metres away which blocked his view. Shit! She must be standing right behind it! Go damnit...

He considered the possibility of sneaking around the truck and praying that she doesn't spot him too early, when he spotted another individual heading along some dirt road. That wasn't good... From the sound of things, she wasn't alone to begin with. So more people just complicated things further. They seemed to be having some kind of conflict about Reiko's sister or something. Not that Maxwell cared... All that mattered for him was that Reiko Ishida continued to live. And nothing would please him more then to be the one who finally finishes her off...

Before long, another bunch of idiots showed up. This time with guns. Great, just what I need. More morons to complicate things...

However, unlike Reiko and the others, these idiots were still in the wide open when they stopped and started aiming their weapons at the people hiding behind the truck. Maxwell smiled to himself... This was good. It meant that their back was turned. None of them seemed to be expecting an ambush... It would be so easy to take them all out with one well aimed burst of fire. Once they were gone, Reiko would panic and try to flee. Then killing her would be all to easy...

Well, why sit around and waste time?

With that plan in mind, he stood up from his cover and aimed his gun at the group next to the truck, pulling the trigger to unleash a volley of bullets in their direction... About four of them. What?!? DAMN, I didn't reload! SHIT!

He hid back down behind the log, panicking as he tried to figure out what to do next. He hadn't a clue if he'd managed to hit any, although he didn't doubt for a second that they would fire back soon. He'd have to counter-attack quickly, before he loses the element of surprise...

So, on that note, he took the two pistol leaned over the log, firing eight shots from each of them in the group's direction.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Fiori. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.

Return to “The Logging Road”