The Golden Treehouse

Open

Back in the early days of the island, the residents tried to mine the mountain for gold. The mountain, however, produced nothing, and after they reached the other side, the miners gave up. The leftover buildings serve as testament to the failed expedition. The wood buildings are very aged, creaking when a strong wind blows by. There are still pieces of old equipment that are scattered throughout the surrounding area, now serving little use to the island's inhabitants.
ZombiexCreame†

The Golden Treehouse

Post by ZombiexCreame† »

((Meredith Hemmings continued from In For a Penny, In For a Pound))

Meredith Hemmings had seen a lot of disturbing things on this island, but it wasn't what Meredith had seen just moments ago that truly disturbed her. The death of Thea wasn't a particularly gory one, but it was a chilling one, to say the least. In one moment, the girl was just standing before her, and the next, she was toppling straight into a danger zone. It must have been frightening, very much so, to stagger into a situation that you clearly couldn't run from. It was cruel, plain cruel. Did Ericka know what she was doing? Certainly she had to. You don't just shove someone down a hole on accident. It had been no accident.

She just wanted to forget about it, but Meredith couldn't forget. She just felt horrible, as if there was something she could have done. Ericka hadn't seemed like a menacing person, so there was no way Meredith could have warned the other girl, but... Ah well. It was fate. The Beast had decided that Thea's time had come, and thus she was gone. It was just how things worked. One day, the Beast would banish Meredith from this island, and she wouldn't complain, nay, she would rejoice. Whether she died or went on living, it didn't matter to her. It was all fate, or something.

Brushing a few strands of dirty hair from her pale face (growing increasingly pale from the lack of sleep and even greater lack of food), Meredith continued to walk onward. She was tired and thirsty, wanting nothing more than a sip of water and a poofy bed to lay down on. Wiping sweat from her forehead with the back of her left hand, she moved on. Something came into view, and the goth-girl squinted, noticing that there were some worn-looking buildings right ahead, and some objects that looked a bit like... carts.

She trekked forward, realizing that she had come upon a mine of sorts. This island must have been something back in its prime. A mine, a sawmill, tunnels that ran underneath the ground... It was pretty awesome. She would have enjoyed living here, perhaps. Maybe in another life.

The buildings scattered before her were weathered, some barely even standing. Meredith decided that she would lay out in one, rest a bit and think out her next course of action. She walked to the door and pushed it open, peering inside. Everything was coated in thick layers of dust, the only light streaming in from a single window on the far-back wall. There was a single table in the middle with a few chairs scattered around it, but only two chairs were suitable to be sat upon. The others were broken beyond repair, most likely by age. Rust had gotten to many of the items in the room. The walls were plastered with what appeared to be schematics of the mine, although the paper was ripped and dirtied, almost nothing in the drawing was recognizable.

It suited Meredith just fine. She didn't bother to shut the door, preferring some more light to enter the meager room. All the dust would simply make her feel as if she was suffocating, so she left it open just a tad. Meredith dropped her things on the table and sat down in one of the chairs, squeaking as the seat broke down under her weight and collapsed. She hadn't noticed that she had just sat on one of the rusted chairs. Blinking, Meredith slowly stood up and brushed herself off, desperately hoping that no one heard her... squeak. Goths don't squeak. Definitely not.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler ZombiexCreame. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Ciel†

Post by Ciel† »

(Aston Bennett continued from Out of Sight, Out of Mind)

Aston heard something. A crash.

She wished it had been a mouse. That way she could go back to sleep.

Then she thought.

That was all it took. A thought.

Aston got up. She grabbed the bags, held the Mosin Nagant with both hands and moved.

Aston thought. She had promised Joe that she would live. Which is to say that she promised Joe, after he died. It was more of a promise to herself. A promise to live. Or maybe it was for Joe.

Aston really couldn't tell anymore. She was numb all around. Things didn't make sense.

All she knew was that she had to kill. So she could live.

So if whatever was making a racket and waking people up turned out to be human, Aston would have to go and kill them.

Them. Kill them.

Aston thought "them" instead of "it". "Those things are dead." "They are dead." "Them."

Wrong mindset entirely.

She was a monster after all. Monsters didn't make distinctions. "It is dead."

The buildings were just as run down as everything else on this island. In fact, these were worse off.

Aston liked them. No one went near them. Pushed the idea of becoming a monster off. Thought maybe she wouldn't have to do anything. She could live without killing anyone.

Aston was wrong.

What would Joe think, if he saw her being so foolish?

No time to think of that now.

Aston hoped it wasn't someone else she knew. Not that it mattered. In the end, she'd have to pull the trigger.

Aston had her rifle raised up. The butt against her shoulder. She found the building without much trouble.

She stepped inside the door frame to the building. Without warning. Graceless.

Aston looked around. She said nothing.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Ciel. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
ZombiexCreame†

Post by ZombiexCreame† »

Meredith had been minding her own business, staring down at the rubble of the destroyed chair. That flash of fear that electrified her insides and made her heart patter helplessly, as if she were falling and would never come upon solid ground. Stop freaking out, Pandora! It was just a broken chair, nothing more. She'd seen and heard of much worse things happening in this wretched Beast's game, but still... falling from the chair really freaked her out.

She went to examine some of the other chairs, perhaps to find one that was suitable to sit down on, but something flashed across her vision. It was a shadow, and it cast much of the room into darkness. The flecks of dust that clouded her vision were harder to see, and it didn't take long for the goth to realize that the shadow was moving just slightly. The hair on her arms prickled, and she could tell that she was being watched. Was it something at the window? She quickly looked up, but no one was peering back at her. She might absolutely die if that were to happen!

No... It was worst. The shadow was from behind her, and she'd stupidly left the door open just so she could have a bit of light. What a failure. Groaning internally, Meredith slowly turned around, hoping that what she saw wouldn't be so terrifying. Unfortunately, it was. There was a girl standing there with a rifle. A rifle pointed right at her.

But throwing her hands up and pleading her case didn't seem too Pandora-like, so she didn't do anything of the sort. Instead, she put a blase look on her face and slumped her shoulders just slightly. She pulled her lips into something of a frown and narrowed her eyebrows, eyelids coming together, just a slant.

"I know the door was open, but a knock would have been suitable. Hell, even a 'hello' would have been okay... I'm not going to hurt you, so you could put that down. Or... not. It's up to you."

That wasn't as graceful as Meredith had wished, but she was going through a bit of a dry spell at the moment. Her witty-retort well was very much dead and dry. "I'm not afraid, if that's what you're trying to do. Scare me, I mean. If you're trying to scare me." She shrugged. "I'm not afraid of death... In fact, I embrace it. I can hear from the dead... I have a gift. I can hear the cries of the students who've passed on, and I can feel the sadness that plagues this blood-ridden island... Please, come in. Perhaps we could hold a seance? That would be interesting, right?"

Meredith moved backwards and sat down in another chair, not realizing that she had unluckily selected another half-rusted chair. With another snap, the chair bended beneath her, and Meredith was sent toppling to the floor with another squeak. "Oh my godddd, you know what? Let's not take a seat. The chairs are, uh, busted. We could sit on the table!"
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler ZombiexCreame. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Ciel†

Post by Ciel† »

"No."

That was that.

Aston just watched the other girl. She remembered her from school.

She was that goth freak with the weird name.

Aston didn't have any classes with her. No connections, really. She didn't seem to recognize Aston either. Better. Much better.

"A... seance." Aston wasn't sure whether to laugh or grumble. Just how stupid was this girl?

"You talk to the dead."

Aston blinked.

"... the dead."

She wondered whether Joe was screaming when he died. Or was it just quiet on his end?

... wait. Was she seriously taking this girl's word on this? Damn it.

"Really. Talk to the dead."

Pandora was nervous of Aston, though she didn't make the connection. This girl was just weird. That was all there was to it. Just shoot her.

Aston didn't, though. Something hit home.

Not yet. Not now.

For now, she'd play along.

So... Sit on the table? Aston didn't want to do that.

Aston looked back. The chair behind her was rusted. Aston was big.

She sat down. Sat back. It didn't snap. Held her up.

Aston turned to Pandora and stared.

"You can hear the dead, right?"

She crossed her leg awkwardly.

"... what did Joe Rios say when he died? Did he scream too?"
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Ciel. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
ZombiexCreame†

Post by ZombiexCreame† »

((I feel bad making such a terrible post but my town is evacuating for the hurricane, and I have to pack up my computer.))

Meredith shifted nervously and made a move to sit down, but thought better of it and continued to stand. Her eyes were staring at Aston, trying to think of something interesting to say, but she was mostly pulling a blank. This girl was making her feel uncomfortable. Who the hell was Joe Rios? Why would he contact Meredith? "I, uh, I'm not aware of any Joe Rios. I can only hear from the people I once knew..."

She grabbed her things and headed out the door, away from the creepy Aston.

((Meredith Hemmings continued in Et dans ces instants, j'aimerais être comme toi par moment))
Sean†

Post by Sean† »

((Placeholder post in case Jeff isn't back for tomorrow. Permitted by Toben and Jeff))

Aston left.

((Aston Bennett continued in Dead-End Scenario))
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Sean. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.

Return to “The Mine”