"Can You Hear Me Now?"

Day 4 thread: Open

This was once the sole cell phone reception tower on the island, largely responsible for its internet and phone contact with the outside world. Now, however, it is nothing but a twisted, dangerous ruin, strewn with wreckage, having been destroyed by Danya’s henchmen during the preparation of the island. They did a thorough job; a close inspection reveals that nothing of use remains.
Unknown Kadath†

"Can You Hear Me Now?"

Post by Unknown Kadath† »

((Saul Fetteralf continued from Sequoia Throne))

"I don't know, Doctor Bryant. It seems like no matter what I do, I displease someone."

A young boy sat on a comfortable couch. The walls around him were lined with bookshelves, except the one to his right, which was the keeping place of several degrees and licenses to practice. He sat in the office of the aforementioned Dr. Bryant, his psychiatrist. The man himself sat in a chair nearby, scribbling on a notepad. Very cliche, one would think. "Well, Saul," the older man began, "why do you feel the need to please everyone?"

The question caught the boy off-guard. He never thought of that before. "W-well..." he slowly started, "I feel like... if I make everyone happy, nobody would have a reason to hate me, I guess..."

The man nodded and wrote something down. Soon, he spoke again. "Saul, it's impossible to make everyone happy. I know it's hard to accept, but there will always be someone that doesn't like you."

Saul gave a sigh and looked away, "But why, Doctor? Why can't everyone get along? Maybe I'm just not good enough for everyone."

Silence filled the room. Saul thought that maybe the man had no answer, when suddenly the doctor asked, "Saul, who is your best friend?"

The question startled him. Best friend? He supposed his friends on the east coast would count, but he hadn't seen them, or even spoken to them, in almost 7 years. He knew he had something almost like friends here, but he knew that they would turn on him the moment he was targeted by the bigger kids. He couldn't think of anyone. "Nobody, I guess," he replied.

The middle-aged man frowned. "Saul," he said, "I was as young as you, once. My best friend was a boy named Jeremy. Whenever I was in a bad place, Jeremy would always be there for me, and even though we fought, we always remained friends. Jeremy and I are still friends to this day. Even through all the years, our friendship is still there. Saul, I think what you need is a best friend."

Saul mulled over what the older man said, and looked back to him. "But Doctor Bryant, why can't you be my best friend?"

The man chuckled, "Saul, I'm not legally allowed to be your best friend. You have to find someone your own age. Someone you can trust with your deepest secrets outside of this room."

Saul looked forward, to the wall before him, the diplomas hanging like trophies. He wondered, could he ever have a best friend?

-----------------------------------------------

Saul sighed, his knees drawn up to his chest. He sat against the wall of a destroyed building. Twisted metal and debris were strewn across the ground, some laying flat on the ground, and other like tombstones, sticking from the ground. But Saul didn't notice. He was lost in his own thoughts.

A best friend... Since that day, he supposed he never really thought about it much. The days of torment from the other kids was in the past, the only reminder of that time being the chewed-down nails on his fingers.

But now that he reflected on it, on what may very well be the last day of his life, he realized. He does have a best friend.

Garry Villette.

A boy with weird tastes. Saul supposed that his friend's love of werewolves was a bit offbeat, but since he was a fan of campy 80's horror, he supposed that they went a long pretty well. He chuckled, remembering the day that someone referred to them as "The Mutts", a weak nickname that never stuck, but the memory was always nice.

Saul rested his head on his knees, closing his eyes. He hadn't slept in almost 2 days, and his brain was a jumble. He was just going to get a few minutes of sleep...

And like that, Saul was out cold.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Unknown Kadath. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Anderson

Post by Anderson »

(OOC: Bill Davis continued from Sunshine, Lollipops, and Rainbows)

Based on his last interaction, Bill Davis's gun is currently by his side as he makes his way up the mountain. The muzzle is in his hand and the safety is on, but his gun is still out...primarily because he doesn't want to have to try and get it out if he comes across someone hostile.

As he reaches the cell tower near the top of the mountain, Bill lights a cigarette and plops down, exhausted from days of walking, running, jogging...and not sleeping for more than a few minutes every-so-often.

Yeah, this might kill me if I get out of here. I'll deal with that in thirty years if I live that long.

As he smokes the cigarette, mulling over his time on the island so far, he hears...something vaguely like snoring?

Great. Someone else is up here, too.

Laying back, he decides to let the other person rest...he'll deal with him when he wakes up.

Well, it's better than finding someone with a gun in hand waiting for me...

And so, taking a few minutes to relax, Bill Davis smokes his cigarette and tries to relax for a few minutes while he can.
Chib†

Post by Chib† »

(Huzzah, an actual Day 4 thread at last!)

[Axes Aren't Efficient For Grinding --> Logan Reynolds]

Originally, Logan had been planning to head for the woods again, but remembering how paranoid they'd made him last time, he decided against it when he actually reached the trees. Granted, it had been night time, but this morning he was without backup for the first time. Frightening as it was, being alone felt... oddly liberating, too. No having a gunman to rely on, just his own wits, and no excuse not to do whatever needed to be done, nobody to pass the buck to. Terrifying and liberating, odd combination.

So, instead of the forest, with its narrow views and abundant shade, Logan turned straight around, and went for the directional and environmental opposite; the mountains he'd just emerged from underneath. Along the lengthy hike upwards, he quickly found himself hot and thirsty, and soon elected to rest, take his coat off and stuff it into his daypack, and finish off what was left of his first bottle of water. After that, he felt rather hungry as well, and made short work of the first few slices of one of his two loaves. Skin cooled and stomach filled, the young man continued, deciding somewhere along the way to head for the remains of some kind of radio mast, maybe a cell phone tower. Yeah, probably one of those. Not that it particularly mattered, or would ever have any real bearing on Logan's life. It was completely wrecked and useless, after all, and even if it were salvageable, the boy was no engineer.

Several minutes, and one mostly disregarded announcement (had Daisuke been around, maybe he'd have stopped, paid attention, noted something down; but right now, Logan had no idea what he was doing any more, and figured just getting to where he was going was enough) later, he arrived, finding the area unsurprisingly clear. If anyone had even considered hunting for usable gear, they would've done so long before Day 4 anyway. Though, there were two other boys there. One seemed to be unconscious, probably asleep, or just having a very still nap, and the other was laying nearby, smoking a cigarette.

Logan couldn't help himself, even if he hadn't been committed to honesty, it was too good an opportunity to pass up.

"You don't want to know what this looks like from where I'm standing."

A short pause, then,

"So is it true that a smoke after sex is as amazing as they say?"
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Chib. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Dropbear†

Post by Dropbear† »

((Sapphire McLeod continued from Sequoia Throne))

All things considered, Sapphire wasn't going good.

Leader of GODspeed? Killer. Probably had her reasons, got jumped or something. But still, at the back of her mind, this niggling feeling of something wrong with it.

Partner? Out cold. Probably shouldn't have stayed up watching over her sleeping because he was scared someone was going to kill them in their sleep.

The rest of her friends? Nowhere to be found at all. At least they weren't on the announcements, she thought. At least, she tried to thought. There was a lot of people, and she thought she heard a familiar name that she liked or something.

And to cap it all off, she hadn't even been able to test out her ideas. She couldn't find a body anywhere, although that probably was a good thing. She would probably blow off her hands, like Saul said.

With a half-broken spirit, Sapphire curled up on the corner away from Saul, thinking. She was useless. Couldn't do anything. Just a crappy jewellery girl waiting for someone to come up behind her and shoot her in the heart.

"I want to go home..."
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Dropbear. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Unknown Kadath†

Can't I just fucking sleep?

No, you can't.

Why not?

Because it seems like luck has a massive hate-on for you, buddy boy. Now WAKE UP!

--------------------

Opening his eyes, Saul noticed two figures near him, and the smell of burning tobacco seeped into his nostrils. Huh. I didn't know Sapphire smoked. But who's that other person? Wait... HEY!

Suddenly, his eyes shot open. There were people. People he didn't know. Terrified, he pressed himself as flatly as he could against the busted wall he was leaning on. He stammered, "J-Jesus Christ! Who the fuck are you guys?"

If he had some warning, maybe he could have been more polite, but for now, he was nervous as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Unknown Kadath. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Anderson

Post by Anderson »

"You don't want to know what this looks like from where I'm standing."

A short pause, then,

"So is it true that a smoke after sex is as amazing as they say?"

At first, Bill Davis was startled by someone else showing up. However, once he's jumped a bit (and managed to burn a hole in his shirt with the cigarette when it dropped from his mouth in surprise), Bill laughs at the idea that...well...

"You're gonna have to ask someone who knows. And you shouldn't sneak up on people like that. I've heard it hasn't ended well for some people." That latter bit is delivered pretty

Sapphire's arrival gets ignored, however, as Saul wakes up and...expresses his extreme and substantial surprise at the new arrivals.

"Bill Davis." Pause. "Smoke?" And with that, he offers a cigarette to each of the new arrivals.
Chib†

Post by Chib† »

"You're gonna have to ask someone who knows. And you shouldn't sneak up on people like that. I've heard it hasn't ended well for some people."

Well damn. That really ought to have occurred to Logan by now, surprising people with weapons and paranoia, really not a great plan. Then again, that's why he'd spoken up and kept some distance. "Never mind, just trying to break the ice, but... yeah, ice is pretty thick when there's a universal death threat around, huh?"

And then, suddenly, someone was a heck of a lot more surprised than Bill had been.

"J-Jesus Christ! Who the fuck are you guys?"

The guy that had been there longer, (naturally? Logan never really thought about the etiquette of introducing oneself to someone who'd just woken up...) spoke up first, introducing himself as Bill Davis, and offering cigarettes. "Logan Reynolds, and no thanks, I don't smoke."

Come to think of it, the innuendo earlier probably gave the wrong idea. Then again, was there really much to lose now? He'd probably die here anyway, so lung cancer and breathing problems weren't exactly top priorities, and he wouldn't have to worry about his basketball performance sufferi-- "No, no, shut up, that's loser thinking. Maybe it's 200 to 1 to survive, but since when did you care about tough odds?"

Yeah, maybe he was almost guaranteed to die, but Logan decided there that if he didn't act as though he had a chance, live as though he planned to live long, he wouldn't. Of course, the matter of escaping alive without killing people was still the main conundrum...

[OOC: For the record, I'm pretty sure the idea is that Sapphire was already here, given that she and Saul came from the same thread.]
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Chib. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Dropbear†

Post by Dropbear† »

Stupid world wanting her to die. Want to go home. Hide. No, have to be strong. Don't go down without a fight. What's the point? You're going to die anyway.

Sapphire's mind swirled with these thoughts, moving from sadness to anger to depression again before giving a loud cough. Some idiot was smoking, from the smell of it. It wasn't as if it was a crime or anything, Sapphire did realise some people smoked. It's just that who would want to ruin their lungs like that, die slowly to cancer?

Then again, their current lifespan was about ten days, so cigarettes wouldn't kill anyone. It would be everything else.

"J-Jesus Christ! Who the fuck are you guys?"

"Saul?"

Turning around and leaping to her feet, Sapphire blinked quickly. The fact that someone was smoking a cigarette indicated that there was ANOTHER person near them!

FUCK! SAUL!

"I'M COMING! LEAVE HIM ALONE, I'M ARMED!"

Running around the rubble of the tower, she put her right hand in her pocket as if to pull out something. Hopefully they wouldn't realise she wasn't bluffing. If anything happened to Saul... it would be her fault for not looking out, not being a good watcher.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Dropbear. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Anderson

Post by Anderson »

"Never mind, just trying to break the ice, but... yeah, ice is pretty thick when there's a universal death threat around, huh?"

"Yeah, that tends to happen. Survival instinct stinks for conversation." Beat. "Come to think of it, this is the first conversation I've had that didn't involve 'or I'll kill you' since I got here. Bill Davis. Nice to meet you both." Bill visibly proffered the cigarettes to Saul as well, if he was interested.

And then Bill looked over as Sapphire McLeod charged at him, and had his gun up, finger on the trigger and safety off in about a second or so as Sapphire appears around the rubble.

Shit. Someone else. Well, so much for a friendly conversation...

"So am I. Hand out of your pocket." Beat. "Please. Nobody's been hurt here and I don't want to hurt anybody if I can help it."

Whether she was bluffing was immaterial at the moment: Bill wasn't, and he very much did not care to end up as a nasty, gooey red spot on the ground, thank you very much. With that said...the look on his face came much closer to "frustrated" or "irritated" than actually "scared" or "angry".

Why did somebody have to barge in and interrupt my smoke? Not to mention the first good chat I've had with someone in half a week?
Chib†

Post by Chib† »

(Gotta stay active, in spite of all the busy times, so, excuse the skipping of Egads and the poor quality. I'll probably come back and improve this tomorrow or something.)

"I'M COMING! LEAVE HIM ALONE, I'M ARMED!"

If not for wanting to keep a firm hold of his weapon, and his eyes unblocked, Logan would have facepalmed. For fuck's sake, this had been going so well; the beginnings of friendly conversation, no less, then this had to happen. Before he had a chance to react himself, save for making sure he had a grip on the handle of his hakapik, Bill replied for him, with almost exactly what he would have said anyway.

"So am I. Hand out of your pocket." Beat. "Please. Nobody's been hurt here and I don't want to hurt anybody if I can help it."

Logan couldn't have put it better himself, so, he simply nodded, maintaining what he hoped was a neutral stance without being defenseless. Not that a weird-sort-of-pickaxe would be much good if the girl really did have a gun in her pocket.
Unknown Kadath†

((AAAH. Sorry guys! Lotsa stuff went on, and I sincerely apologize for holding the thread up.))

Saul observed all that was happening, still in a state of shock. Within moments of being woken, he had been greeted by two total strangers (well not TOTAL. He recognized their faces), and then heard Sapphire's shouts. Now they both were looking at her, and one of them was pointing a gun at her!

Saul quickly dug his heels into the ground, pushing and propelling himself up, his back sliding up the wall. He rushed to the boy with the gun, the one that introduced himself as Bill Davis, and quickly stammered, "H-hey! There's no need for that! She's with me."

He swallowed, knowing that at any moment, this boy could very well blow his head off with a single twitch of a finger. This had been the closest Saul has ever been to death, the darkness of oblivion hanging over his and Sapphire's head by a single frayed strand, ready to drop at the slightest breeze.

Despite his shaking legs, Saul stood fast, looking at Bill in the face, "I'm Saul Fetteralf, and that's Sapphire. We aren't playing."
Grim Wolf

Post by Grim Wolf »

(Mirabelle Nesa continued from Measure Once, Cut Twice)

I cannot believe I let her go.

It came to her with all the force of a hammer, drove into her skull and would not let her go.

She's alive.

Again that dreadful thought, again that horrifying idea. She had let Samantha go. Samantha, who was mercilessly executing those who wanted death. Why? She shouldn't have accepted that, shouldn't have...

They are themselves. They want death.

Bullshit, assisted suicide is-

She closed her eyes and slammed one fist into a nearby piece of wreckage. This twisted bit of metal slipped from where it was precariously lodged and slammed into the ground, sending out an especially loud crash which was punctuated by the sound of breaking glass.

Unbalanced and quite loud. That seems oddly poetic.

She threw herself against a far-more-stable piece of dislodged concrete as her eyes darted from side to side.
Those Whose Time Has Come]

Terra Johnson (female student no. 73, DECEASED): Oh...duh...Abel's...dead...the one who...lives is...

Tom Swift (male student no. 60): It didn't matter what he wanted anymore.

Daria Bhatia (female student no. 56): "I pity you, and everyone who knows you. Because if you can live with this, I don't...I don't think you're human anymore.”

[+] Those Who Have Gone Before
[/url]

V6

Alex Tarquin (male student no. 32: "No more...masks..."

Tara Behzad (female student no. 12): "They don't get to decide how I die."

Lizzie Luz: "I don't want to go."

V5

Tyler Lucas: "I had fun. You?"

Karen Idel: Game over.

Xavier Contel: "G-gotta...trust people, Arthur. G-g-gotta try. C-can't be afraid."

v4

Naoko Raidon (male student no. 54): Dying like...this isn't...so...bad...

Mirabelle Nesa: "I'm a weak little girl who couldn't save anyone, even myself, but god damn it I beat you and god damn it you are going to remember that because I am Mirabelle Nesa and I am a hardened goddamn warrior and I am not going to fucking give up now!"

Simon Grey: "I never was a hero, but, God help me, I tried."

David Meramac: "Running towards nothing. Running from nothing."
Dropbear†

Post by Dropbear† »

Oh no I'm going to die he's got a gun stupid stupid...

Trembling in fear, she pulled her tamagotchi out of her pocket and dropped it on the ground next to her, putting her hands on her head. Keeping both eyes on the metal in front of her, she stammered out, "I- I thought he was in danger... I... don't have anything..." Glancing at Saul, she gave a small sigh of stupidity. He never was in danger until she came running up like a banshee. Damn it, couldn't she get ANYTHING right?

"Sorry... I'm so-"

Crash. For a second she thought he pulled the trigger on her, that she was going to die, but then there was no pain at all, and it didn't even come from that direction, it was to the side. Twisting around, she saw the dust rise and gave a little swallow. "More people."

And then suddenly all of the speakers flared up. "Good morning, survivors,"

Carol Burke. No way.

"Speaking of shiny weapons, Mr. Brennan, there's one waiting for you at the Radio Tower, which will be a temporary danger zone."

Dangerzone. Gotta get out. Now. Somehow. Already she heard the soft beep of warning.

"I'm sorry, but we have to leave, now. Saul, I'll follow you." Slowly bending down to pick up the tamagotchi, she scampared back to her bag and picked it up. The beeping started to increase. Not good. Not going to die.

"Let's get outta here."

Running around again, she saw Saul and ran after him. "Wait up!"

[[Sapphire McLeod continued in Gypsy Rap]]
Chib†

Post by Chib† »

(Seeing as this is early morning Day 4, and the Day 5 morning announcement just went... eh, time to high-tail it out of here and do some major time-skippage. Apologies to anyone that would've been before me, but I don't fancy blowing Logan's head up for politeness.)

Come to think of it, playing it cool had scarcely worked the last time he'd tried it, back at the mill with Daisuke. Probably wouldn't work at all now, since the odds of some impossibly cool guy showing up and scaring people off again must be pretty slim. Speaking of which, where even was Daisuke? Probably went the opposite direction after leaving the tunnels. Logan didn't blame him if he did, after his epic pussying out over their plan, the plan Logan himself had come up with in the first place.

But either way, the immediate best course of action seemed to be getting away from yet another standoff. Whilst everyone else was freaking out or otherwise distracted, Logan simply turned tail and headed back the way he'd come. Not quite running, but at a rather fast jog. "Maybe if I'm lucky,", he thought, "I'll run into Daisuke again."

He doubted that very strongly. But always worth holding out hope.

[Logan Reynolds --> If You Don't, Don't.]
Grim Wolf

Post by Grim Wolf »

Oh.

Oh crap.

Hidden against the wall, she'd thought her biggest concern was that others might be around, that others might have heard her, that she might have been in danger. Which would have been nice, really.

Instead, what she got were the Announcements. Instead, what she got was the reminder of those people that Samantha had killed.

Jackie, why didn't you say anything to me?

Belle scowled and jerked herself upright and out of the flash of sullenness she found herself sinking into; she needed her wits about her, needed to be aware of-

"Everyone be sure to stay away from the Destroyed Tower..."

Beep

Beep

Beep

"Sonofabitch!" Belle hissed, and took off the way she had come.

(Mirabelle Nesa continued in The Middle Children of History)
Those Whose Time Has Come]

Terra Johnson (female student no. 73, DECEASED): Oh...duh...Abel's...dead...the one who...lives is...

Tom Swift (male student no. 60): It didn't matter what he wanted anymore.

Daria Bhatia (female student no. 56): "I pity you, and everyone who knows you. Because if you can live with this, I don't...I don't think you're human anymore.”

[+] Those Who Have Gone Before
[/url]

V6

Alex Tarquin (male student no. 32: "No more...masks..."

Tara Behzad (female student no. 12): "They don't get to decide how I die."

Lizzie Luz: "I don't want to go."

V5

Tyler Lucas: "I had fun. You?"

Karen Idel: Game over.

Xavier Contel: "G-gotta...trust people, Arthur. G-g-gotta try. C-can't be afraid."

v4

Naoko Raidon (male student no. 54): Dying like...this isn't...so...bad...

Mirabelle Nesa: "I'm a weak little girl who couldn't save anyone, even myself, but god damn it I beat you and god damn it you are going to remember that because I am Mirabelle Nesa and I am a hardened goddamn warrior and I am not going to fucking give up now!"

Simon Grey: "I never was a hero, but, God help me, I tried."

David Meramac: "Running towards nothing. Running from nothing."

Return to “Destroyed Cell Phone Tower”