We're All Guilty Anyways

[G103] - Start

The groundskeeper of the manor used to live in this small cottage. The room also functioned as a storage facility for a number of tools used to keep the grounds neat and tidy. Surrounding the area is a well kept garden which was probably meant for the manor's owner, though it seems that the caretaker took as much pride in tending to it as the owner took in viewing it.
Hollyquin†

We're All Guilty Anyways

Post by Hollyquin† »

Sleep. Thank fucking god for sleep. Thank god I slept through that fucking bus ride...ugh...didn't even want to come on this trip. But no, mom said, you're gonna regret it if you don't, it'll be a memory to take with you to college, blah blah blah bullshit. Whatever, at least I have a few days to chill with people. Ema, Alex, Jay, Madelyn, Isabel...Kyle. She smirked, even in her semi-conscious state. Oh yes, I am most DEFINITELY sneaking into that boy's cabin. Believe it. Ahhh, fucking bus ride...so long without a cigarette...do they really think they can keep the smokers from smoking? Fat fucking chance...weirdass nightmare I had though. Don't even watch Survival of the Fittest...much. Heh...Christ my head hurts...just a little more sleep, girl, they'd be waking us up if we had to get up...What the hell am I lying in? ...Grass? What the fuck?

Her eyelids fluttered open.

HAYLEY KELLY [G103] - ALIVE

Hayley sat up with a start and immediately regretted it. Ugh, major headache... She felt...well, hungover seemed like the best description. Which would be a real possibility, except that she'd been purposely been saving her vodka- a small amount, tucked safely in a flask in her back pocket- for, you know, the actual trip. So she had a headache. Big whoop. Hayley got them a lot, alcohol or no. She cradled her head in her hands, curling up into fetal position for the moment, waiting for the headache to die down a bit.

It was her surroundings that were confusing. Last thing she remembered she was on the bus- her apathy and lethargy meant she was one of the last to the buses and as a result ended up sitting next to some boy she'd never met. She'd been chewing her lip, wishing she could have a cigarette, and eventually she'd fallen asleep...and had that majorly fucked up SotF dream. She had totally watched the show- how could she not have? Some part of her was sickened by the whole thing- making teenagers fucking kill each other? But at the same time...she watched. Guilty pleasure to the max.

Her dream...it was so damn graphic, what with the teachers getting killed off...blood everywhere. But Hayley's dreams were often bloody, so that didn't bother her too much...And Danya...everyone knew his voice. The voice of the man behind the game. And the video...well, that was easy enough to explain. She'd watched that scene herself. Rizzolo, the last winner. A good kid, just gone a bit crazy. She'd watched the proceedings, stoic as all hell. Because it was an obviously a dream. So no big deal. She'd even squeezed out a giggle when an improvised weapon- made of a dildo and a toothbrush- appeared on the screen. My imagination is maybe a bit fucked up. Oh well. No foul.

So how'd she get from the bus to...here? Where was here, anyway? Hayley uncurled, shaking off the headache as she looked around. She appeared to be lying in a garden- all grass and flowers and pretty. Her first thought was actually regret- she'd been lying directly on several roses, which were now crushed. She stood up, slowly, taking care to avoid crushing any more flowers, and she stepped out of the flowerpatch and into the lawn. She looked around some more. The garden she was in- long strips of gorgeous flowers, along with a lawn- stretched in front of a cute cottage. She sighed. Maybe this is my cabin? It's cute...doubt there's room for me than me in it though. Shit, what am I even thinking? Why the fuck would they just drop me here alone? ...Where the hell is everyone, anyway? Out of the corner of her eye, she spotted something that didn't exactly fit in with the bright colors of the garden. Lying on the ground, so close to her that she was shocked she hadn't seen it sooner.

It was a daypack.

Marked with the code G103.

No.

Hayley stopped breathing, her heart skipped a beat. It can't...no...shit... Her worst fears were confirmed instantly- she spotted a camera lurking just above the door to the cottage...and she moved her hand up to her neck, feeling a deceptively thin metal band lurking there.

"SHIT!"

As far as first words go, that seemed like an appropriate one. Fuck me...I'm on fucking Survival of the Fittest. What are the odds? ...Seriously, what the hell are the odds? She clutched her head in her hands. She was breathing again- well, more like hyperventilating. She noticed she was shaking, violently, and just as quickly stopped caring. Goddammit...not a dream. It wasn't a dream. Those teachers are dead. I could be on TV right now. My parents could be watching. My brother... It hit her like a brick to the skull. I'm never gonna see them again, am I? No fucking way I'm getting out of this alive. How many kids are on this trip? More than 200? And one is gonna get out of this alive. ONE. How arrogant would I have to be to think that that's gonna be me?

Hayley shook her head, trying to shake out the panic. She began pacing- her oldest habit; she couldn't thinking unless she was moving. She walked back and forth across the lawn, muttering various curses to herself. Calm the fuck down, Hayley. Like a defeatist attitude is gonna do shit for you. How many kids are gonna be playing? Not many. Maybe not any at the beginning. People'll get desperate later, but for the moment...you're probably safe. Probably. Better see what your weapon is...better safe than sorry. She stopped pacing, sitting beside her duffel bag and unzipping it, throwing the contents aside. Food, water, first aid, map, compass, flashlight, yeah, got that...a guidebook...ah! She stopped in surprise, discovering the weapon hidden beneath everything else in the bag.

Hayley pulled it out, piling everything back in the bag besides it. It was...a sword. Sort of. It didn't look like any sword she'd ever seen...at least outside of a video game. It was curved- definitely not a stabbing weapon. She held it in her right hand- it was relatively light, and the shape of the handle told her that it was definitely a one-handed weapon. She swung it around a few times- though it was light, she was still caught off guard by the extra momentum caused by its weight. She grimaced. This is gonna take some getting used to...though I'm probably not gonna get anyone with brute strength. Surprise is gonna be my game. Shit, why couldn't I have gotten a gun? She blinked, shaking her head. What the fuck am I thinking? God, they've got me thinking game, game game. Already. I just fucking woke up. Shit...I should be looking for my friends, not thinking about killing people... She noticed a second bag there too- her own duffel bag, purple plaid. It had once been decorated with pins, but those were gone- perhaps they were too weaponlike. Hayley checked inside- nothing was missing, but all that was inside to begin with was clothes, a couple of books, and...

With a sudden thought, Hayley dropped the sword for the moment and stuck her hand in her right pocket. My cigarettes! Thank GOD, she thought fervently, her hands still shaking so hard that it took quite a bit of effort to select one cigarette and light it with the purple Bic she'd just found in her duffel bag. She patted her back pocket- the flask was still there too. Not that there was much she could do with that. Other than clean a wound, maybe. After pulling the daypack onto her back and slinging the duffel bag over her right shoulder- the combined weight of both made her stumble- she picked her sword back up, holding it ready in her right hand with the cigarette in her left.

Now it begins, I guess. Another thought crossed her mind. John. Johnny. Her heart skipped another beat. Johnny...I'm not coming home. Are you watching me right now, love? I'm not coming home...fuck... Hayley was ashamed to feel a teardrop prick her cheek. Fuck, Hayley, no crying. Don't pussy out. Don't let him see you cry. Don't...fucking Danya...ugh... Cursing all the while, she made her way to the entrance of the cottage. She wiped the tears away, her eyes bright and clearly full of rage. She practically snarled as she spoke to the camera.

"I'm sure I'm not the first fucking kid to say this shit, but...Fuck you, Danya. Fuck you hard. Every man who's ever made me cry has regretted it hard-fuckin'-core. Don't think you get to be a fucking exception."

With that eloquent statement over with, she stuck the cigarette in her mouth, flipped off the camera, and opened the door to the cottage. If anyone was there, they would have heard her by now- she held her sword tighter, just in case.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Hollyquin. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Lawther†

Post by Lawther† »

[G-115 Madelyn Prowers: Start]

Madelyn hadn't cried when she woke up tied to a chair and was forced to watch 5 people she had known for the past 4 years swiftly executed in front of her eyes. She was much too groggy from the drugs they had used to incapacitate them on the bus. She hadn't even had time to realize what was being said by the fat man on the stage before they started pumping the room full of gas again. Something about surviving or something. She was quick to nod off after that, content to believe that the entire scene was some hazy nightmare she was having on the bus ride.

Once again, the drugs began to wear off on the petite girl, and she awoke to find herself lying down in a brightly lit field, her head was much too cloudy from the drugs once again to realize the danger she was in. She roused herself from her comfortable position on the ground, the gas' effects slowly wearing off.

Bluh, what a horrible dream. She thought to herself, rubbing her eyes as the bright light of the sun shined mercilessly down upon her. She yawned as she sat up and stretched, barely aware of the extra weight around her neck. It was when she went to crack her stiff neck that her hand felt the cold metal collar that currently sat around it below her usual choker that she began to realize the situation that she was in.

"Shitfuckcockass!" she screamed her hastily assembled curse at the world as she began to piece together what had happened in her 'dream.' She was glad she had caught the name Dayna in her hazy drug induced state, otherwise she would have never known what was going on. The frantic girl knew that name; it was the name of the man behind one of the biggest 'underground' phenomenons to hit the US airwaves: Survival of the Fittest.

Barely awake, Madelyn franticly began to tear through her backpack for some water, hoping that a drink would help clear her head of grogginess. She knew the rules of the game all too well, having watched much of the third season with friends as they laughed at the foolishness of some of the characters. She had never believed the conspiracies that claimed that SotF was real; why should she have? The characters were over-the-top, the action was Hollywood gory, and the idea that the US government was so inept to allow hundreds of students to go missing for weeks was laughable. All logic had dictated that SotF was just cheesy, bloody fun like any other horror film.

Madelyn cursed herself for laughing at those students' misfortunes now. The haze in her mind was finally beginning to dissipate, and her brain was telling her to kick it into survival mode. She tore through the day pack marked G-115 with an intensity that could match a sprinter near the finish line, hoping that she would find some sort of weapon to defend herself. Instead, she found a shitty iPod knockoff. Hoping that there was possibly some sort of information on the mp3 player to help her out of this mess, maybe a secret code or some other highly improbable thing that could possibly save her, she popped the earbuds into her ears and hit play. The juxtaposition of children singing Avril Lavigne's Girlfriend was so out of place in the terrible situation she was currently in that Madelyn had to chuckle before the realization of how dire the situation was settled in.

Madelyn wanted to cry, but she couldn't bring herself to now, not while she was out in the open. We have to be strong Mads; gotta keep going and stay safe until we get rescued. she told herself, knowing full well that no one had ever been rescued in the 'show' for three seasons. She spotted a cabin in the distance that was surrounded by an immaculately kept garden. A peaceful looking spot ordinarily, but to Madelyn, it looked like a safehaven. Maybe she could find a weapon there, or possibly barricade herself in it while she waited for a rescue that would probably never come. Anything was better than just sitting in the open. She quickly stuffed the mp3 player back into her survival bag before grabbing it and her personal effects and making a dash towards the cabin.

"Dear Lord," she prayed aloud in between breaths as she ran, needing every ounce of faith she could muster to keep from falling apart at the seams with grief, "Please save us from this nightmare. I know that all things are possible through Christ that strengthens me. I know that everything happens for a reason. I know that we are all bound to your will. All that I ask is that you save us from this hideous fate that looms above us. I pray that you will get us out of this mess. I pray that you will protect my fellow classmates as we try to survive these next few days. I pray that you'll keep me safe as well. Please Lord, I've never asked for much in my life, but please, just don't allow this Dayna fucker to get away with this... It is all these things and more that I pray, in Jesus' name, Amen."

Madelyn's prayer had carried her within yards of the hut, gasping for air as she brought her run down to a walk. She made the turn around the corner to find the back of a door obstructing her vision. Behind the open door, there was a puff of smoke wafting out to meet the breeze. Clearly the hut was occupied.

"Hello?" She skittishly called out to the stranger in the cabin, hoping that the person inside wouldn't be a gun wielding psychopath. "Umm... would it be cool if I kinda hung out in the cabin for a bit?"
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Lawther. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Hollyquin†

Post by Hollyquin† »

There was no one inside.

The cabin was tiny- one room only. There was a bed- that looked so good right about now, as Hayley thought she could easily pass out- along with a small couch and a kitchen area. There was also a mess of tools Hayley imagined were to take care of the garden, though some looked like they could make decent weapons in a pinch. She sat down on the couch, dropping both bags on the floor and putting her sword on the couch next to her, focusing for a moment on her cigarette.

Hayley breathed a huge sigh of relief. She had a home, at least for now. She was thankful for that for quite a few reasons, not the least of which being that there was no way she'd be able to do anything useful with both of these bags. As fond as she was of her duffel bag, it was big and it was unwieldy. The daypack suited her purposes far better. What was she gonna do with extra clothes anyway? Fuck it. She began searching through her duffel bag to select what she was going to take with her. The books were harder for her to let go of- she picked a particularly small one, a paperback copy of The Colour of Magic, and tucked it into her daypack. After a moment of thought she took her makeup out of the duffel bag as well. She checked herself out in the mirror in her compact- she found herself thankful for her eighteen-dollar eyeliner, which had hardly smudged despite all the shit she'd been through. She packed the makeup into her daypack- even in this situation, Hayley wasn't gonna stand for looking like crap. After all, she was gonna be on TV, right? She'd better look good right down to the end.

As she continued to look she found one more thing of importance- a second pack of cigarettes. That was going straight in the daypack. Fuck, I only brought two packs of cigarettes...way more than enough for three supervised days. But for two weeks? Unsupervised? I'll be done with these so fast...fuck. Couldn't have planned for this, I guess. Now all that remained in the duffel bag were clothes and a few books. She left the bags alone and laid down on the couch, moving the sword so that it was both in reach and not stabbing her. She laid on her side- the couch faced away from the door, so she figured from here she wouldn't be seen- and continued smoking her cigarette, taking small pulls so as to make it last.

Suddenly Hayley realized- that cigarette smoke? A dead give away.

No sooner had she thought that did she hear a voice.

"Hello? Umm... would it be cool if I kinda hung out in the cabin for a bit?"

A girl's voice. It sounded scared.

And...

Familiar.

Oh my god.

Hayley jumped from the couch, still present of mind enough to grab her sword before running to the door and swinging it open.

She grinned.

"MADELYN!" Being careful with the sword as she did so, she very nearly crushed the girl as she gave her a hug, so happy she was to find a friendly face in this fucking hellhole. Hayley wasn't going to trust many people here- she knew that trust would be misplaced- but she also knew Madelyn, and knew that the girl wouldn't hurt a fly, much less a friend. She was a damn good ally. "God, I'm so fucking glad it's you. Shit...good luck. Really good luck, girly. Come in, it's just me. It's mad cute in here." She waved the other girl into the cabin.

"Fuck...Madelyn!"

She laughed, one part amusement to two parts nerves.

"We're in some shit now, aren't we? Heh. You draw a decent weapon at least?"
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Hollyquin. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Lawther†

Post by Lawther† »

"MADELYN!"

Madelyn knew that voice. She knew that face.

"HAYLEY!" she yelled as her friend ran to embrace her, nearly crushed by her friend's excitement. For that brief moment, all of her cares about being stuck in SotF evaporated. Her friend was by her side. Madelyn could trust Hayley to stick with her through thick and thin. Maybe, just maybe, they might be able to get out of here alive.

"God, I'm so fucking glad it's you. Shit...good luck. Really good luck, girly. Come in, it's just me. It's mad cute in here." Hayley said as she waved her in to the cabin.

"You have no idea; I was worried you would be some gun toting nut and that I was done for!" She joked with her friend as the initial elation wore off.

"Fuck...Madelyn! We're in some shit now, aren't we? Heh. You draw a decent weapon at least?"

"Heh, this is some pretty deep shit." She replied, remembering where they were. She plopped down onto the couch and opened up her survival pack. "Oh, and my weapon is a complete fucking joke," she said with a cheeky grin on her face as she pulled out the iPod ripoff out of her day pack.

"Yeah, it sucks to be me, I guess." She was able to laugh at her misfortunes, now that she was with a friend. "Oh, and before you think that it can't get any worse... It's filled with fucking Kidz Bop songs!"

Madelyn hit play and turned the music up as loud as it would go. Girlfriend as covered by 5 kids who couldn't act or sing to save their lives was barely audible as she held up the earbuds near her friend to give her a listen. "At least you got something useful. All my weapon is good for is probably torturing someone with shitty music. Heh, girlfriend..."

Madelyn hadn't been able to cry since she had arrived on the island. She was to busy trying to take care of herself. But now, now that she was safe, the gravity of the situation completely caught Madelyn. She realized that she would probably never see her parents again. That she would never get to visit Japan; never get to kiss the girl she loved. That her friends would all likely be dead, and that she was going to die as well.

It began as a short contemplative silence, but ended with Madelyn's grief completely overwhelming her as she broke down into tears.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Lawther. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Hollyquin†

Post by Hollyquin† »

Hayley felt...better. Not perfect, of course- how could anyone really feel good in this fucking situation? But she had someone here with her. A friend. Not just any friend, either. Madelyn. The two of them had been through a lot of shit together. She wasn't one of her party friends- she wouldn't necessarily trust them farther than she could throw them. Madelyn was a real friend, the kind of girl who had sleepovers with, could call at three in the morning with your stupid problems. Hayley could show up at her house at any time and know that she'd be welcomed inside.

God, Madelyn, you don't know how happy I am that you're here...

Hayley took a seat on the couch next to her friend, making sure to exhale from her cigarette away from her friend. She put the sword back down beside her. "Oh, and my weapon is a complete fucking joke," said Madelyn, pulling a crappy MP3 player from her bag.

"Seriously? A fucking MP3 player? Well, like, I've seen Survival of the Fittest before. You could've done worse. Like, you could strangle someone with the headphone cord or something. But still...damn..."

"Yeah, it sucks to be me, I guess. Oh, and before you think that it can't get any worse... It's filled with fucking Kidz Bop songs!"

Hayley blinked, then burst into laughter as she heard the dulcet tones of a bunch of tone deaf children singing Girlfriend, that Avril Lavigne song that she hated. "At least you got something useful. All my weapon is good for is probably torturing someone with shitty music. Heh, girlfriend..." Hayley grinned. "Yeah, this'll do for a torture device. If anyone comes near us we'll threaten them with fucking Kidz Bop. That oughta work. It'd work on me."

And then suddenly, the mood of the room became sober.

Madelyn went silent. Hayley blinked, ripping the headphones out of the MP3 player, which quickly silenced it. She cocked her head at Madelyn. "Maddy? What's wrong? W-"

And then Madelyn started to cry.

"Oh. Oh no, Maddy, don't cry, please don't cry. Fuck..." Hayley took a look at her cigarette, saw that she had been sucking on the filter anyway, and threw it aside, moving in instead to hold Madelyn. "Don't cry. That's what they want, is to break us down. I'm not gonna let anyone hurt you, okay? Anyone tries, I'll take 'em down. Take 'em all down."

Hayley felt more confident even as she spoke. That sword of hers- she knew what it was for now.
Lawther†

Post by Lawther† »

Madelyn was thankful that Hayley was there, the thought comforting her as she wept. Hayley had stuck with her through thick and thin; She knew that Hayley would always have her back when the chips were down. That's the kind of friend she was. A great friend.

"Oh. Oh no, Maddy, don't cry, please don't cry. Fuck..." She had said with genuine concern in her voice. Madelyn felt a twinge of guilt beneath her tears. Surely Hayley was feeling just as bad about the situation as her, and here she was bawling away as Hayley comforted her. She desperately wanted to be as strong as her friend, to not make her worry about the future, and to promise her that everything would be alright. Instead, she was so overwhelmed with grief that she was helpless.

"I-I'm sorry!" she desperately gasped out in between her anguished wails. "I'm so sorry! I-I-I-" She couldn't bring herself to say that she was sorry she was such a burden right now, that even though she knew how dire the situation was; that she couldn't be as strong as her friend.

"Don't cry. That's what they want, is to break us down." Hayley said as Madelyn's wails died down to a whimper. She was right, of course. They wanted to watch innocent people suffer. They loved it when they managed to break someone's will. Madelyn didn't want to give them that satisfaction.

"I'm not gonna let anyone hurt you, okay? Anyone tries, I'll take 'em down. Take 'em all down." Madelyn wondered if would have enough strength in her to do the same for her friend. Sure, she had laughed at people in things like horror films and SotF as she claimed that she would never get caught doing the stupid things she saw them do like trip as they ran away, split up, or fall apart just because she was being chased. Could she say the same, now that she was actually in one?

Hayley's embrace was having a calming effect on Maddy as her whimpering died down to sniffles. She felt protected by her friend, and felt stupid for being so weak when there was danger afoot. She wiped her eyes clear of her remaining tears before she crawled out of Hayley's arms and sat back up on the couch. "T-thanks for that." She said, doing her best to smile for her friend. Even if all she had was a stupid mp3 player, Madelyn Prowers would do her best to protect Hayley as well. Even if it was them against the world.

"Hey, umm... I think I have an idea." Madelyn said as she eyed a wooden broomstick leaning up on the wall. "Since my mp3 player is useless, I bet we could make me a crappy spear out of that broomstick over there if you sharpened the end with your sword."

A spear would be a good weapon for the short and not particularly muscular Madelyn. All it took was one good thrust to... make a problem go away, since Madelyn wasn't ready to even think about killing any of her other classmates just yet. "What do you think?"
Hollyquin†

Post by Hollyquin† »

This fucking game. Hayley had seen Madelyn cry before. That's what happened when you, you know, had female friends. But she'd never seen her cry like this. It was pretty obvious why- this was probably the absolute worst thing that could happen to a person. Knowing death is coming, knowing that you're probably going to have to hurt others, probably going to have to kill them...knowing that your friends will all be dead soon...knowing that even if you live you'll leave your sanity behind.

It was almost enough to make Hayley cry herself.

But no. She refused. She wouldn't go to pieces for Danya's amusement. No fucking way. I can get through this. And so can Madelyn. ...At least for now. Part of her still knew that she was going to die. That Madelyn was going to die. That she was never going to see her parents or her brother or her best friend again. She was too much of a pessimist to even entertain the possibility of winning, too much of a realist to think about escape. There was only one way for this to end.

But dammit, Hayley was gonna go out fighting.

Madelyn calmed down after a little while. "T-thanks for that," she said, and Hayley smiled and ruffled the other girl's hair. "No problem, girly. Just hold it in, kay? Those bastards up high don't deserve the satisfaction. She turned to face the camera- a second camera, identical to the above the door outside, hung above the door inside. She grinned and flipped said camera the double bird before turning back to Madelyn.

"Hey, umm... I think I have an idea. Since my mp3 player is useless, I bet we could make me a crappy spear out of that broomstick over there if you sharpened the end with your sword. What do you think?" Hayley blinked, mildly surprised that Madelyn was thinking about weapons. She thought about it for a second, then nodded. "Yeah, good idea. Fucking terrorists must have gotten rid of all the good shit in here...basically just watering cans left. Not the best of weapons. Alright, spear it is..."

Hayley stood and took the broomstick from against the wall. She laid it on the floor, grabbing her sword from the couch and leaning down beside the broomstick.

"Hope this works..."

CHOP! She lopped off the broom part of the broomstick with one quick stroke. She grinned.

"That was kind of cool, actually."

Hayley brought the broomstick to the couch. Luckily, her imprecise strike had left the end jagged and sharp to begin with. Unluckily, her odd, curved blade was not at all suited to sharpening. She made an attempt, which succeeded in making the broomstick end a bit sharper, but she very nearly cut her fingers in the progress. She stopped.

"Yeah, I think that's the best I can do for now...heh. It'll do. Question time though- what now? Pros and cons of staying: It's nice and safe for now and there's a fucking bed which is like, magic right now, but it's also a pretty conspicuous location and if someone comes in with a gun we're totally helpless. Pros and cons of leaving: we might run into someone else we know...we really ought to find Ema...and we might be safer, but we might not be safer and we might run into some crazy guy with a gun. Your call, girly."
Lawther†

Post by Lawther† »

Madelyn's smile was beginning to return, even though she was currently preparing for the worst few days of her life. She was thankful that she had Hayley with her to comfort her and bring her back from the edge of despair. Now all that was left to do was make sure she was ready to defend Hayley, just like Hayley seemed ready to defend her. Her willpower and strength were beginning to return to her at the thought of what they would have to overcome.

"Yeah, good idea. Fucking terrorists must have gotten rid of all the good shit in here...basically just watering cans left. Not the best of weapons. Alright, spear it is..." Hayley had said, just before getting off of the couch. Madelyn had hoped that there could possibly be something more useful, something a bit better than just a pointy stick, but it couldn't be helped. A weapon was a weapon. Better than an mp3 player any day. And if it broke, they could always make more.

"Yeah, I think that's the best I can do for now...heh. It'll do. Question time though- what now? Pros and cons of staying: It's nice and safe for now and there's a fucking bed which is like, magic right now, but it's also a pretty conspicuous location and if someone comes in with a gun we're totally helpless. Pros and cons of leaving: we might run into someone else we know...we really ought to find Ema...and we might be safer, but we might not be safer and we might run into some crazy guy with a gun. Your call, girly." The choice was hers now; should they hole up in comfort and hope no one came to bother them, or should they try to find others they knew... and possible rescue more of their friends.

"Hmm... guard our cute little house with sword and spear, or go on a rescue mission eh?" Madelyn said, pretending to muse over the possibilities for a moment. In her mind, the moment Hayley had mentioned finding Ema, she had already decided what to do.

"Well... since you're so keen on rescuing Ema," she said with a teasing grin, her eyes lighting up at the thought of reuniting the trio, "I suppose that's what we're going to have to do!" There was no way in hell that Madelyn was about to hole up in the cottage and just wait, hoping that everything would turn out all right. If they were going to get off the island, they would need to work towards that goal. The thought of beating the system provided a glimmer of optimism to the previously distraught Madelyn. Maybe, just maybe, things would work out after all. But first, there was the little problem of finding their friend in (presumably) hostile territory.

With that, Madelyn holstered her new weapon in her daypack, ready to pull it out at a moments notice. Even though she was only armed with her makeshift spear, Madelyn felt like a hero in a manga about to embark on an daring rescue. Sure, the road ahead was dangerous, but at this moment, with elation replacing her previous grief and with one of her best friends beside her; for that brief moment, she almost felt invincible.

"Fuck you Danya! We're going to beat your game!" She said, flipping off the camera with gusto as she issued her challenge directly to the man behind the game.

However, it wasn't long before the realization that this wasn't a game quickly brought Madelyn back down to earth. This was serious. This was going to be a fight for their lives, and the prospects of their escape looked pretty grim. "Heh, I guess it's not really as easy as that..." Madelyn mused as her smile slowly faded, her optimism replaced with stoic resolve in the face of the perils they would have to overcome.

"But, the way I see it, is we might as well be optimistic about it, right?" Even if their chances of survival were slim to none, if they had a plan, something they could cling to even as everything seemed impossible, they could have hope. It wasn't much, but to Madelyn, a dose of hope could go a long way towards keeping sane.

"So then, first we find Ema. Then, we get a posse. Once we have that, we figure out a way to get these collars off. Then, we make our escape." It may not have been the most well thought out plan, but at least it was something. It was a goal they could strive to achieve, even if the world was falling apart around them. "What do you think Hayley? Sounds like a plan, right?"

We may be going to rescue Ema, but who's gonna rescue us? She asked herself, though deep down inside she already knew the answer.
Hollyquin†

Post by Hollyquin† »

"Well... since you're so keen on rescuing Ema...I suppose that's what we're going to have to do!"

Hayley blushed. Legitimately blushed.

"Maddy! I-fuck, you know, Ema's our friend and...shit...I have a boyfriend now, you know that...don't be setting me up like I have ulterior motives, okay? I just want to make sure she's okay...and so do you, right? So don't make it sound like it's just me...fuck..."

She shook her head violently for a moment, as though she was trying to rid her mind of something.

"Why the hell am I bugging out right now?" Hayley laughed, the sound almost inappropriate for the moment. "We're in fucking Survival of the Fittest and I'm going on about how I'm not still in love with my ex-girlfriend. Talk about priorities."

Hayley shook her head again, her hand tightening on her sword. Right. We're going. For real. Out into the world of...fucking homicidal kids, probably. Whatever...I've got the sword. Can I use it, though? She grinned. Oh fuck yes, I can. Think of it as a video game. I'm a motherfuckin' fighter. Bitches come near me, they get cut down. It was easy enough for her to separate her thoughts from the reality of the game- the reality of hurting, from killing her fellow students. She was a nice girl at heart- at least, she was nice to anyone who didn't piss her off- but Hayley's first priority was always herself, and her second priority was the people she loved. Anyone who threatened either...

Hayley pitied them. In advance.

"Fuck you Danya! We're going to beat your game!" Madelyn said, flipping off the camera as Hayley had done before, and Hayley couldn't help but laugh. She was so...eager. Hayley wondered if it was worth bringing up that they were pretty much definitely not going to beat the game.

They were going to die. They were just putting it off a bit longer.

Madelyn herself seemed to realize that she was a bit too cheerful for the situation. "Heh, I guess it's not really as easy as that...But, the way I see it, is we might as well be optimistic about it, right?" Hayley sighed. "Oh boy. Optimism. Totally my thing, as you know, girly. Heh. Yeah, leave the pessimistic observations to me. Being positive is probably healthier." She rubbed her eye with one finger- being careful not to smudge her eyeliner- and then stood, stretching her limbs and picking the daypack up off the floor, putting it on her back.

"So then, first we find Ema. Then, we get a posse. Once we have that, we figure out a way to get these collars off. Then, we make our escape. What do you think Hayley? Sounds like a plan, right?"

Hayley almost laughed. Almost.

That wasn't going to happen. She knew that. Oh hell, she definitely knew that. Hayley was a damn realist, and she sure as hell knew she was going to die. But she felt horrible laughing in the face of Madelyn's optimism. The girl really seemed to believe that they had a shot. Hayley wanted to believe that too. But the fact was, there was no chance.

She decided against pointing that out, though.

"One step at a time, okay? First we find Ema. And whoever else we find along the way...who can we trust? I've got...um...Alex. Isabel. Jay's kind of a spaz but he's a stand up guy deep down in that stoned head of his. Who else? Dutchy...there's a few other kids I'd trust here. Oh...and..." She'd left his name for last on purpose. "Kyle. Of course, Kyle. He'd be...a big help." Hayley almost blushed again. She'd never been happier to have a boyfriend than she was right now. My last boyfriend... She shook her head. Now's not the time to think about that.

Hayley listened to Madelyn's choices in allies, and then: "Okay." She faced the door, motioning to Madelyn. "Now or never, girly. Let's make tracks. I have no idea where to go first, to be honest. Let's...well, we've gotta go somewhere, right? Let's get moving."

Hayley walked out that door, fist clenched tight around the hilt of her sword. She was going to survive.

At least for the moment.

[[Hayley Kelly continued in White Knight Nightmare]]
Lawther†

Post by Lawther† »

"One step at a time, okay? First we find Ema. And whoever else we find along the way...who can we trust? I've got...um...Alex. Isabel. Jay's kind of a spaz but he's a stand up guy deep down in that stoned head of his. Who else? Dutchy...there's a few other kids I'd trust here. Oh...and... Kyle. Of course, Kyle. He'd be...a big help.

"Wow, pretty big list of people. We might just build us a good posse after all!" Madelyn chimed in optimistically. Sure, they might not make it off the island, but with a good group, they just might survive to go out in a blaze of glory.

"Let's see, Dutchy's on my list too, so he's double trusted... if that even exists. But if it does, he's totally that." She joked of course, but Dutchy was one of the nicest guys she knew.

"Beyond him, the rest of the guys in the activist club will do in a pinch. I'm sure Rashid's already declared jihad against the game anyway, so he would probably be down for a bit of vengeance." Madelyn said, fairly sure that none of her activists friends would join the game. Surely they would be all for subverting the system.

"Also, we should be able to trust Felicia, Chase, Carol, and Lily as well, though Lily's kinda... flighty... at times. Annnnd, that's about it for me." She remarked. That would be a pretty sizable group, if they could get everyone together.

As long as they had a plan, Madelyn still had hope. Completing each objective would bring them closer to possibly finding a way off of the island, or at the very least keep them safe from the absolute psychos. For now, finding Ema was the first main objective. The first step to completing their mission, and perhaps even beating the game. At least, as long as she thought that way, maybe Madelyn could get through this after all.

"Okay. Now or never, girly. Let's make tracks. I have no idea where to go first, to be honest. Let's...well, we've gotta go somewhere, right? Let's get moving."

"Heh, kinda feels like The Lord of the Rings." Madelyn jokingly pondered as she pulled her makeshift spear out of its holster and into her hands. "It's like we're on the front door of a hobbit hole, about to wander into a great adventure and assemble the fellowship. And maybe, just maybe, we can take down the Dark Lord, though there is very little hope to do so." With that, she followed Hayley into the great unknown, ready to risk life and limb in the hopes of saving their friend.

But at least, we'll all be together. She thought to herself, allowing a fraction of honesty to slip past her optimism. Together until the end.

[[Madelyn Prowers continued in White Knight Nightmare]]

Return to “The Groundskeeper's Hut”