If That Looking Glass Gets Broke

open

Making up most of the northern part of the island, the woods are deep and dark. Spreading second-growth trees, mainly fir and pine, block much of the light from reaching to the ferny undergrowth. Moss hangs thick from the branches, testament to the dank and moisture-laden air, while the occasional deer path shows that many animals still make this forest their home. These woods are those on the inland part of the island’s eastern side, and slowly angle upwards towards the island’s central mountain.
ifnotwinter†

If That Looking Glass Gets Broke

Post by ifnotwinter† »

((Dominic Stratford continued from Everybody's Changing))

Hush, little baby, don't say a word
Momma's gonna buy you a mockingbird...

Time had passed.

Dominic wasn't sure how much. Time was continuing to slip away from him, faster than he could hold onto it. He thought it had been hours, but it could have been minutes. Days. Or maybe not days. There had been no nights, that he could remember, and when he tilted his head back he could still see the sun. So hours. Or minutes. Time.

His chest hurt, in a vague and far-away way. A stitch. He had run between stumps, hopelessly turned around, found a road and eventually followed it. And after that he wasn't entirely sure. Landscape had passed, his feet carrying him, and then this unsettled ache had begun and he had found himself sitting under a tree. He didn't remember sitting. But he must have, because here he was.

He wondered how long it had been. Since it had started - a long time. There were gunshots. There were gunshots, and screams, and shouts, and time passing. And the tree. A huge tree, old-growth with spreading branches and Old Man's Beard hanging from its sides like a tattered dressing gown. Cut down, the rings would number in the hundreds. But it was still standing. The loggers who had left the bare and battered stumps behind had not yet gotten to this one. And they wouldn't. The tree was safe.

He leaned his head back against it. Cut him open, and find eighteen rings. Chop him down. It would happen. It would have to happen. That was simply the way things went. Perhaps he would die here, and he would rot slowly until his bones and muscle and skin gave nutrients to the tree to spread its old and tired branches even closer to the sun. That would be - good. It would still be dying. But better. Better to go that way. Food for the detrivores. And he wouldn't have to fight. He wouldn't have to see anyone. Yes. Better.

"You're not scared, huh?"

Dominic's eyes opened slowly. He was somehow not surprised to see Abigail, sitting a few feet from him with her legs crossed and her chin resting on her hands. She was wearing the tie-dye shirt he'd made for her birthday and the jeans with the silkscreened patterns of leaves and trees. Her dark eyes were frank and honest as she stared at him, mouth working as she chewed her ever-present gum.

"They...got you too?" Words were difficult. His mouth was dry, lips already cracking, body too tired for conversation. Words rose unbidden in the back of his mind, the many times he'd passed Abby a metal water bottle and told her drink if she didn't want to get dehydrated. Water. It sounded nice. "Do you have...anything to drink?"

"Sorry." She continued to stare at him, expression unreadable. "You dropped your pack. Back with Tiffany."

"Oh." He remembered that, sort of. Phil Ward punching him. A gun, William Hearst. Yes. He'd left his pack there, hadn't he. His stomach sank, but he had long since exhausted his tears. No more crying. "Okay."

"You said you'd look after me, you know." Her tone was almost accusing, dry leaves crackling under her as she shifted in the undergrowth. "Remember? You said it all the time."

Dominic remembered. At night, before bed, brushing a fond kiss across her hair. I'll look after you. Before school for the first time. Sleep-overs. Through fights with friends, the first tentative flirtatious moments with boys. I'll look after you. He turned his head away from her, not wanting to see her eyes, not wanting to see the face that would all too soon be bloated and blue with death.

"I'm sorry."

"I still need you." His head, moving back without input from his brain. She had moved closer. One arm curled around him, smooth skin, the scent of conditioner from her hair. "Dee, I still need you. I need you now."

Dee. She'd called him that as a baby, the first syllables she'd learned to pronounce. Dee. And then Dommy, later. And Domni when she teased him. He wrapped an arm around her, slowly, wincing at the pull of fresh bruises. As she snuggled down into his lap, he saw how young she was. She couldn't be over ten. How could he have made a mistake like that, thinking she was older?

That was okay, then. She was ten, and he was thirteen and he had a job to do. Protect her, just like a big brother always would. He would protect her for now. That would be easy enough. He carded his fingers through her long hair, settling his back a little more comfortably against the wood as she closed her eyes.

Humming softly. Time passing, not fast, not slow. Just passing.

And if that dog named Rover won't bark
Dee's gonna buy you a horse and cart
And if that horse and cart fall down

Shots, in the distance. Abby curling a little deeper into his lap. The dry taste of dust in his mouth.

Time.

You'll still be the safest little girl in town.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler ifnotwinter. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Lord_Shadow†

Post by Lord_Shadow† »

((Alexander Seymour continued from Droplets))

Alexander wandered about aimlessly. He had failed to obtain an actual weapon, in a brilliantly stupid way. He kept enough sense to stay off obvious roads, trying to keep hidden. There was no need to be careless after all.

For what seemed like hours he wandered. He had to keep moving, no matter how he felt. He had to find someone, anyone who might have something better than his crappy box of pills. Not that it was useless, caffiene could help keep him awake during the nights, but he was defenseless for crying out loud.

Have to find something. Anything. Please, whatever cruel god put me in this damn place, at least give me a weapon.

He came across a tree. A large tree. Had to be quite old to have gotten that big. "Well, that is one way to find a landmark." He said, at first not noticing the boy sitting next to it.

A second or so later, he did notice him. He froze. How could he have just exposed himself that easily. He was sure he'd be killed. There was nowhere to run or hide, not from this position. If only he had stayed hidden he wouldn't be in—

Wait. This guy isn't armed. He looks like he's, dying.

He went over to the boy, cautiously but not too cautiously. He felt that there wasn't much the guy could do in his condition.

"Hey, are you still alive?" He asked. Really, he didn't much care. If he wasn't alive, he'd just search him for something that might be considered a weapon. If he was, then all he had to do was wait. It didn't seem like he'd have to wait long.

He wasn't sure if he should do this, but he decided it couldn't hurt. "The name is Alexander Seymour. Yours?" For some reason, Alex could not do anything but simply wait there for a response. Something about this place, this time, this feeling, made all his survival instincts take a back seat to this moment of interaction.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Lord_Shadow. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
ifnotwinter†

Post by ifnotwinter† »

When Alexander rounded the side of the tree, he wasn't exactly being stealthy and Dominic's head jerked up at the noise, one hand lightly covering Abigail's ear in hopes that she wouldn't hear. She was asleep, now, in the dead bracken with her upper body curled in his lap, but she was a naturally light sleeper. Always had been. Couldn't the other boy see that? With his stupid questions...was he still alive? Of course he was.

"Shhh." He directed a small glare over his shoulder, continuing to stroke Abby's hair with his free hand. "She's sleeping. You'll wake her up." Shifting his legs slightly, he jerked his head in the direction of the ground next to him, relatively free of brambles or sap. He kept his voice low, almost a whisper, as he spoke. "Dominic. Dom Stratford. What're you doing here?"

To the onlooker, the tableau would look...strange, to see the least. Dominic's arms, curled around what he believed to be his sister, rested in midair. His eyes were glassy, lips cracked, and face stained from mud and dirt. But odder still was the expression on it - bizarrely open, and unfocused. It didn't look like the expression of an eighteen year old, it looked more like a child, lost and confused. He stared up at Alexander with idle puzzlement, no fear, no desperation, no paranoia. And even his question didn't sound fearful, just curious.

Lost in his own mind, Dominic watched Alex Seymour, hands moving over Abby, wondering idly as to what the other boy was doing in the woods looking so disheveled.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler ifnotwinter. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Lord_Shadow†

Post by Lord_Shadow† »

Why do I feel at ease here? This place is death but I feel almost peaceful.

"I..." he started his response. He really wasn't sure. His immediate need was to find a weapon. But that was only to meet his greater need. That being survival. But somehow, he felt that wouldn't be an adequate explanation.

"I'm lost. I suppose I'm trying to find my way. Out of what, I'm not sure. Nor am I sure where I'm going." He felt himself loosening up. The tension from before, that survival instinct that kept him constantly surveying what was going on around him was almost silent now.

"Why are you keeping your arms like that. You should conserve your strength. You don't look like you'll last much longer anyway." Alex said, strangely sounding as if he cared.

Why do I care? This doesn't concern me. But I can't just leave...

He sat down a few feet away from Dominic. "Do you mind if I sit here with you?" He felt like he had to see this through, to stay with this boy no matter what happened. Almost as if, almost as if it was necessary. Like his own life depended on it.

This is strange. So very strange.

He took out the pills, twirling the box over in his hands. Rest. He couldn't recall when he'd last stopped to rest. Here seemed like a good spot. Just rest, for a while.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Lord_Shadow. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
ifnotwinter†

Post by ifnotwinter† »

"You can sit here." His quiet acknowledgement of Alex's words seemed to come too late, as the other boy had already sat down. Dominic mulled over his other comments, not moving his hands from Abigail's body. One set of fingers still covered her ear gently, hoping to let her sleep through the interruption, and as such he kept his voice low.

"I'm okay. But I...I guess I'm lost. I'm not sure. I don't really know where we are." Nor did he particularly care. Trying to think on where they were, what was happening...it made his head hurt. And he didn't want to think about it. Every time he did, every time his mind skated near the thoughts of felled forests and guns, he knew just as sure as apples were apples that he didn't want to think about it. So he simply wouldn't. He didn't have to. Just him and Abby, and Alexander, now, and that was okay. Sooner or later Abby would wake up and they could go home and everything would be okay again because when it was just him and Abby everything was always, in the end, okay.

He still whispered, nervous about waking her up. "It's okay, though. Do you want to sit with us for a while? You don't need to worry about anything."

Who needed to worry? It was peaceful. The noises were going away, no sharp cracks like fireworks anymore. No voices. He breathed softly, in and out, head resting against the rough bark behind him. Plenty of rings in that tree, not many in him, not many in Abby, not many in Alex. But he'd never see them. It was a stupid thought. Nothing was going to happen to them. They were totally okay.

He smiled, absently picking loose hairs from his sister's head. "If you're lost, you can wait here with me. If neither of us can find the way, my mom'll find us. It'll be fine. You'll see." Believing it totally and completely, secure and calm in his knowledge that there was nothing that was going to hurt them because nothing was allowed to hurt them. They were in a forest, that was all. A beautiful one. His father, smiling crookedly, telling him to live each day and moment like his last-

-but not his last, not his last, this was just a forest and this was just a day and nothing was last, here, he had his whole life and Abby's whole life and they were just going to sit until she woke up and then them and maybe Alex would all go home and there'd be dinner on the stove and his mother turning around to hug him smelling all sweet and the dog and the cats twining around his legs and-

Dominic barely noticed the soft hum escaping his lips, nursery rhyme tunes from long ago. Hush little baby, like his parents would sing, and everything, everything would be okay.
Lord_Shadow†

Post by Lord_Shadow† »

He had to put a stop to this. As much as he cared about his own survival, he wouldn't just turn a blind eye to someone else's distress.

But survival of the fittest is the law of the world. We're nothing but animals, and animals survive by any means.

Despite his brain giving every rationalization he could think of for why he should just leave, citing everything he'd ever observed about human nature and the way the world is, he couldn't bring himself to actually do it. He wasn't exactly a good person. He didn't get along that well. But he wasn't cruel. To someone who had done nothing to him, someone who was just fading away on their own, he couldn't abandon them.

To do so would be to become lower than anything he could possibly think of. All his aggressiveness and reckless behavior, all his anger and frustration, all that was merely fuel to keep him alive. But right now he wasn't thinking about himself, not anymore, at least not for the moment.

"We have to get out of here." He started to get up. This place was peaceful, but that peace wouldn't last. There were other people in this place too, and he knew they all had one thing in mind: survive. Survival in this place meant removing as many threats as possible. And everyone was a threat.

The animal kingdom may operate on survival of the fittest, but to be human is more than simply living. We differentiated ourselves from animals. That's why we're on top. And if we go back to acting like animals, then we don't deserve to be on top.

He'd made up his mind. No matter what, he'd make sure that he'd survive... along with Dominic. Neither of them were dying, not today. One thing was for sure, if they were going to make it he'd have to snap Dom out of whatever hallucination he was having.

"Get up Dom. Let's move. We're not lost anymore. I know what I'm living for now. We're going to make it, but if we're going to do that I need your help." He walked over to the boy and held out his hand.

"Whatever it is you're seeing and feeling, it isn't real. That isn't what's happening. This is. What's happening now is a nightmare. But I intend to see us through that nightmare. I swear it. So please, get up."

This was a bad situation. He knew he couldn't leave Dom behind, not now. But he didn't seem like he was in any condition to make it. He was humming nursery rhymes for god's sake. But like it or not, they had to go. NOW.
ifnotwinter†

Post by ifnotwinter† »

Alexander seemed...anxious. It was strange, and Dom didn't like it. He didn't want things to be anxious, to be nervous. He hated that. His arms tightened on Abby, and she stirred, blinking up at him in confusion as Alex got up. She didn't speak, though - just stared at him. He wondered briefly how he could have ever thought she was younger, could have gotten confused about time because she was obviously just Abby, Abby like he'd seen her the day before he'd left on the school trip when he'd ruffled her hair and teased her and she'd told him not to drink too much and then he'd gotten on the bus and then...

And then.

No. No no no no no. Not thinking about that, not thinking about that at all. Just thinking about him and Abigail and Alex and the forest and why was he in the forest? Why was Alex telling him to go? What was - he didn't understand. His head hurt. God, it hurt. His mouth dry, pasty, the bruises along his ribcage screaming at him and he couldn't remember how he had gotten them or how he had gotten here but it was all. Going. To. Be. Okay. Because it had to be. Because it was him and Abby and...

Abby.

Where was she?

Alex was speaking, but Dominic couldn't hear him over the sudden pounding of blood in his ears. She had been here. She was curled up in his lap she'd been sleeping and then she'd woken up and now she was gone, somehow. His eyes scanned the forest desperately until he caught a glimpse of dark hair, saw her standing some feet away, back to him. Relief exploded through his middle, and as Alex extended his hand Dominic reached up and took it, stumbling to his feet and bracing himself against the tree as his head spun.

Alex was saying something about things not being real. That was right, wasn't it? Being on an island, this wasn't - people weren't killing each other. That was ridiculous, and impossible. This wasn't real, it couldn't be. He was just confused. His head hurt - maybe he was sick. Or maybe Phil had gotten in a kick to the back of his skull too. Didn't matter. That hadn't happened. Things weren't real and everything was going to be okay.

He stumbled a step forwards, catching himself with a hand on Alex's shoulder. Trying to focus, trying to breathe, trying to make everything make sense again. "It's okay. It's - it's okay. It's not real. I know." He smiled faintly, trying for reassuring. "We should. We should try and get outta here. I kind of, uh." Blinking hard, the world confused around him. "Kind of want to go home."

He'd go home, and it'd all be cool again. Not a problem. One hand on the tree, now, using it for support, he turned to where Abby was standing next to a tree, back to him. "Abbs? Abigail? C'mon, it's okay. Alex is gonna - he's gonna help us get out of here. It's okay."
Lord_Shadow†

Post by Lord_Shadow† »

Alex had little idea of where to go. They certainly couldn't stay here. It was too open, too many places to be ambushed from. No telling who or what might come in here at any time. But where to go?

Think Alex, think. There has to be somewhere safe close by.

He looked around for any indication of a safe haven. "Dammit." He didn't remember which direction he had come in from, nor did he have any idea of which way to go.

Okay. Try to think things out. That announcement said something about danger. I can't really recall. I wasn't paying attention. From what I can recall, we're not in those zones mentioned. So for now, we're safe. BUT, people are gonna be moving from the danger zones. And they might end up coming here. We can't be here when that happens.

He thought for a moment of how to decide where to go. Nothing came to mind. He sighed. "Well, no sense waiting around. Let's go." He motioned for Dom to follow him, going off in the direction he was looking. From the look in his eyes, it seemed like he wanted to go there.

"I'll lead, okay? Let's find someplace safe."
ifnotwinter†

Post by ifnotwinter† »

Dom followed hesitantly, casting an uncertain glance at Abigail. She hadn't acknowledged him at all yet, remaining with her back to him and her head bowed. Her posture was classic angry Abby, but he didn't understand why she would be mad. They were going to get out of here, right? Find their way back home. And Alex was going to help them, since Dominic wasn't entirely sure what was going on right now. He knew some of the things he'd seen weren't real, and that...that announcement, that couldn't be real. So that was okay. Maybe they'd gotten separated from everyone else?

"Hey." Reaching forwards, he plucked at Alex's sleeve, trying to get him to turn back. "You gotta wait. Abby's not - hang on." Breaking off from their straight path, he moved to just behind his sister's dark form, placing a hand on her back, squeezing her shoulder gently.

"Abigail?"

She pulled herself loose from him, turning around, leaning back against a tree with her arms folded. She certainly looked angry, eyebrows creased together in a frown and the corners of her mouth drawn downwards. "What?"

Blinking in surprise, Dominic took a step backwards. "We're...we're gonna get out of here, Abs. Go back home. C'mon, Alex is going with us."

"No." Her voice was flat and toneless, not even affording him irritation. "I'm not going anywhere. Dom, we gotta stay here. Let him go, okay?"

"What's wrong?" He moved forwards, shooting a quick apologetic glance over his shoulder at Alex, hoping he'd understand. Abby was just stressed out, that was all. And nervous. He didn't blame her. What was she doing on this trip anyhow? It was just for seniors, wasn't it? Maybe that was why she was upset. Maybe she'd snuck onto the trip and didn't want to get caught. That would make sense. It wasn't really like Abby, but puberty made everyone bizarre. That was something he'd just come to understand. "Hon, we've gotta go. C'mon. I'll buy you a Coke, okay?" He figured the promise of her favourite drink might help convince her. "Don't worry about getting in trouble. I can talk to the teachers. It'll be cool."

"No!" She drew herself in close, arms wrapped around herself. It was funny, he wondered why he hadn't noticed the bruise beginning to show up along her face. It matched his own, the one from Phil. He rubbed it unconsciously. Yeah, the teachers would have to know about that one. It was ridiculous. What had started the fight in the first place? He couldn't even remember. Couldn't remember much, just something about Tiffany and him getting all upset and crying. Weird. But now Abby was the one who was upset. "Don't go with him. You can't trust him. How do you know he won't hurt you?"

"Don't be ridiculous." Dominic smiled, stretching out a hand to her. "Alex isn't going to hurt anyone. He's not that kind of guy. Now, are you going to come along or am I going to have to put you on a leash?"

Turning back again, he offered an apologetic grin to Alex. "Sorry. Abby's having a shy moment, I guess. She's kind of freaked out about being lost. Can you give us a sec?"
Lord_Shadow†

Post by Lord_Shadow† »

What the hell was the holdup now? They couldn't afford to waste any more time here. And Dom didn't seem to get that whatever he was seeing wasn't real, and it certainly wasn't helping him at all. He said a name, Abby or something like that, and that was all Alex needed to know. He'd either have to convince Dom that this 'Abby' wasn't really there, or he'd just have to knock him out for his own good.

Funny that I may have to resort to violence in order to protect us from violence. Alex frowned, trying to decide what to do.

"Look, we don't have time. Someone could walk in here at any moment. I'm sure I stumbled upon you for a reason. And I'm not quite sure what that reason is, but I'm pretty sure I shouldn't just leave you to get killed." Alex folded his arms and sighed. "I'm sorry, but I'm gonna have to dispel your illusion."

He took a deep breath before continuing. As frustrating as it was to see Dom still act as though he was somewhere else rather than this hellhole, he couldn't afford to come off as agitated. Who knows what Dom would do if he felt threatened?

"Whoever this 'Abby' person is, I guarantee you that person is not real. You are IMAGINING them. I don't know why, I don't know what for, but it is true. Now please, stop messing around and come with me. You want to live don't you?"

Alex looked around for anything that might help 'pacify' Dom, just in case. He was already tired from walking who knows how long or far, and he didn't want to make this last longer than it needed. If Dominic cooperated then, hey, that's good. If he didn't, Alex wanted to be prepared.

Nothing. Great. I'll just have to go with my bare hands then. Wonderful.

Alex felt this situation was a little bit ironic. Here he was determined to help keep both himself and Dom alive, and he was contemplating hurting Dom. For his own good of course. It was logical, rational. It was the right thing to do, right?
ifnotwinter†

Post by ifnotwinter† »

"No..."

Dom's voice was soft, a whisper, nothing more, as he stared at Alex in confusion and mounting horror. That didn't make sense. It didn't make - it didn't make any sense. He turned, one hand coming up to scrub at his forehead, the other hovering at his side as if uncertain what to do. None of this was...he didn't understand. And his head hurt. Fuck, it hurt. He squeezed his eyes shut for a bare moment, opening them again only to start backwards. He hadn't heard her move, but Abby was standing in front of him.

She looked...different. There was a bruise sharply highlighted on her face, in the same place as his own, and her expression was twisted and ugly. Her clothing was dirty, ripped, smudged with blood. Had she always been like this. He didn't think - but his mind was hazy. Nothing was...things were too confusing. He didn't, he couldn't. He started to back away, stumbling slightly over his own feet, holding his hands out in front of him.

Abby followed, but even her walk was wrong. Stalking, swaggering, angry. It reminded him of someone, but his mind wouldn't retrieve the memory. Her voice hissed between her teeth, berating him, more angry than he had ever before heard. "He's lying, Dom. You can't trust him. Don't listen to him. He'll hurt you. He'll kill you."

Dominic shook his head, backing up another step. His back connected with the tree, giving him no other option but to stop. His voice shook as he spoke. "I don't...Alex, what's going on? What - what do you mean, she's not..."

"He's lying!" Her voice was a shriek, now, hysterically high-pitched, face screwed up in fury and fear. "He'll kill you! He'll kill you! You are going to die!" Her face contorted, stretched, melted like warm taffy. Tiffany Baker stood in front of him with a bullet hole spilling blood and grey tissue down either side of her face like macabre clown makeup. Her voice was deep, distorted. The forest around her blurred. "You can't save anyone. You couldn't save me." A smile split her face in two, flesh cracking and peeling until Philip Ward smirked at him, teeth crooked and sharp. Silver claws grew from his hands, shining dully in the light. "Can't even save yourself, you fucker." Coming ever closer, reaching up the blades to rip them down his face, pulling off chunks of skin like string cheese, underneath it an all too familiar face.

Dominic made a soft, helpless noise in his throat as he stared up at himself. Battered and bloody, clothing ripped and liberally soaked in crimson, he had a gun in one hand and Philip's claws in the other. The severed, dripping head of Alexander Seymour hung off of them. The dead boy had a faintly surprised look on his face. "One way to survive," the other Dominic said, smiling even as blood bubbled between his teeth. "One way to be saved."

Dominic shook his head, back sliding down the tree until he sat in the dirt at its base. "No. No. Not real. He said..." He couldn't take his eyes off the head, swinging back and forth. The rest of the world was blurring, spinning, canting crazily around him. "He said it wasn't real."

"Oh, bucko," the other Dominic said, and then he was reaching a hand out to roughly grab Dom's face. His teeth clicked onto his lip, sending a wash of copper into his mouth, and the other Dominic smirked as he smeared the blood with his thumb, pulling it back and licking it thoughtfully, "This is as real as it gets."

And then he was gone. But Dominic didn't notice, eyes screwed shut against the sight, sobs catching in his throat, confronted once more with the reality of the world around him, ironically delivered through his own fevered mind.
Lord_Shadow†

Post by Lord_Shadow† »

Alex couldn't believe what was going through his head right now. A moment ago he'd had a 'revelation' that in order to not just be another casualty, in order to truly stay human no matter what, he had to protect someone else besides himself. Now, now he was seriously contemplating doing everything but that.

Dom was crazy, he was having a complete mental breakdown. And Alex knew, oh he knew that meant Dom could do anything now. Sure he may look like he was frail and weak, emotionally exhausted, but that could all be an elaborate act. Humans are capable of such things, he was sure of it.

Or am I reading too much into it? Am I being paranoid because I don't have a weapon and I don't want to die?

"Hey Dom, you're okay right? Not having any suicidal," He spoke the next two words under his breath, "or homicidal, thoughts are you?" He took a step backwards, just in case. Or was that the wrong move? Should he have taken a step forward? Is intimidation more useful than caution in this situation?

He studied Dom very closely. If it came to it, he was sure that a good blow to the head would incapacitate him, perhaps even permanently.

But what about taking care of him?

No, that kind of thinking was crazy. Taking care of someone else? This was survival of the fittest. There was only oneself, always. Everyone else was a foe, a dangerous enemy. And enemies had to be killed in order to ensure one's survival. But he couldn't just become a murderer like that. Just like that.

No, he had made up his mind. He was leaving. And if Dom followed him... he'd have to kill him. It was the only way to be sure.

"Sorry about this. I really am. But I can't risk staying with you. I just can't."
Lord_Shadow†

Post by Lord_Shadow† »

(Posting to stave off inactivity.)

"I'm sorry." Alex began backing off slowly from the site. He didn't want to startle Dom. He hadn't completely made up his mind about whether to kill him or not. And he didn't want to have to make that decision on a moment's notice.

Alex kept shifting his focus from Dom to the area around them. He was searching for something, anything with which to defend himself. Nothing but a couple of small rocks. Not even so much as a tree branch. So then if he had to fight it'd be with his bare hands.

"Don't follow me. I don't want to have to hurt you. Just don't" He kept backing off slowly. He wouldn't run until he was sure that he wouldn't be followed. He couldn't risk that. He couldn't.
ifnotwinter†

Post by ifnotwinter† »

((ack SORRY SORRY SORRY ILU))

"No...no, please. Please."

It was only now sinking in that Alexander was leaving. Dominic had barely heard his first few words, absorbed as he was in the panicked images his mind was giving him. But for whatever reason, the fog of confusion had briefly lifted, leaving him lucid and seeing the world for what it really was for the first time in many hours. And he didn't like what he saw. Alex, backing away, looking afraid. Afraid of him? That didn't make sense - but neither did anything that had happened since he'd first woken here.

"I'm sorry, I really - I'm not - I'm not going to hurt you, I just. Please. Don't go."

He rolled onto his knees, stumbling to his feet and catching himself on the nearby tree, holding tight to stave off the inevitable head rush. When his vision cleared, he took a step forwards, and then another, frantic now at the thought of being left alone, with not even the hallucinatory figure of his sister to keep him company. Truly deserted. "Please, don't leave..."

Another step forwards. Another. Another. Reaching out for Alex, higher-level thinking deserting him in the rush of panic. "Please! You can't!"
Lord_Shadow†

Post by Lord_Shadow† »

As soon as Dom took that second step Alex knew what he had to do. What he must do to survive. Survival of the Fittest. The name of the game and the law of the world. It was nothing personal. Nothing personal at all.

Alex would run. He'd run as fast as he could, no matter how tired he was. Or wasn't. He had caffeine pills. That should help. All he had to do was take a dose after he beat the ever loving crap out of Dom.

But before he got to running for his life, he had to make absolutely sure there was no chance of him being followed. That meant killing the only person around who could follow him.

But to kill just like that. I can't do that. I can't. But I must. I have to. If I don't, I'll die. And I don't want to die out here.

"I told you to stay away." Alexander said, his anger rising taking a step towards Dominic. "Get the hell away from me." He took a swing. And with that conscious decision, all other options flew out the window. It didn't matter if that first swing hit or not, he'd make sure that Dom wouldn't ever get up again.

Return to “The Woods: Inland”