Even the Best Fall Down Sometimes

Evening of day 5.

This is the central mountain, which commands a view of most of the island, though this will be of limited use in many parts due to the cover of trees. The mountain itself is lightly wooded, though the top has been cleared and a bench set up, facing west, with a perfect view (at the right time of day) of the setting sun. A trail allows access to the mountaintop.
T-Fox†

Even the Best Fall Down Sometimes

Post by T-Fox† »

((Peter McCue continued from Beter to have Lived and Lost....))

They should have been there by now.

He was letting her down. He was letting everyone down. Sure he hadn't exactly built up the largest group in the world, but he still wanted to save as many people as possible, right? And when people saw his collar off, they would join in, right?

He needed to be at the Sawmill by now. That was the only place he knew there was a collar. Sure, he knew there were 100 or more that weren't being 'used' right now. But he only knew the exact location of one.

He could blame the map or the shitty compass he had been provided. But why? It was his damn fault. He saw the road that cut through the mountain, and thought it would be a shortcut. Now they were hopelessly lost on the summit of a cliff, somewhere on the... north? east side of the mountain's face?

The impending dusk was making it extremely hard to read the map anymore, and he was exasperated. He had lost track of where they were a few hours ago, and upon trying to regain his bearings, failed miserably. Possibly that he confused one group of woods for the next... Or that building off in the distance wasn't really the ranger's station. Really, the map was useless. But he should know better. He should be able to figure something out.

Hell, wasn't the scouts basically training for wilderness survival? Shit just like this?

He was failing. He needed to take a deep breath and calm the fuck down. The last thing he wanted was them to have the same disadvantage that almost everyone else on the island probably did.

They were lost. Just like everyone else. Wandering without a purpose.

There were a pair of flattened stones nearby, somewhere they could sit for the time being. The mountain was bleak and brown, just like his mood. Dissapointed in himself.

"Hey, Katlin... Let's rest for a minute."

He really didn't want to admit it. But it wouldn't be fair to her.

"I... Don't know exactly where we are."

How could someone who had put all her trust in him accept something like that? He had fucked up when she needed him most. Resting his hands in his palms, his elbows on his thighs, he sat and sighed, thinking.

Where the hell did I go wrong? I should have known to stick to the main path that looked like it went around the mountain... It was on the map for christ's sake. But no, I had to go for the higher ground. I had to go for the shortcut. How well did that work last time? Moron!

He flopped his bag to the ground infront of him, marveling at how much it had shrunk in the past five days. So much for leave no trace. Pulling a flashlight from his bag, he set the map down, and held out the compass. North was behind him. So the cliff face was pointing... west. Back in the direction from which he had come. Great. He needed to be on the north face of the mountain right now...

"We can't make any more progress tonight. Do you mind just camping down here for the night? I'll take watch, you can get some rest..."

Awesome job. Just awesome.

The stone his hand found as it held him up went hurtling out into the distance, landing somewhere in the woods in an attempt to cull his frustration.

"I'm sorry..."
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler T-Fox. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Dr. Nic†

Post by Dr. Nic† »

[Girl #48 - Kaitlin Anderheim. Continued from Better to Have Lived and Lost.]

"It's alright, Peter."

Kaitlin smiled with reassuring brightness as Peter looked on at her, downtrodden with the revelation that he managed to get them lost in the mountains. Well, mountain. But to Kaitlin, where they were didn't matter. The only thing that mattered was that they were together, wherever they were. She absolutely dreaded being alone on this island and couldn't imagine being on her own, without Peter there by her side holding her hand and protecting her. She had spent most of their trek with her nose buried in Peter's notebook, but she always pulled her focus away from the pages long enough to take her place right next to Peter.

"It's not like we're on a deadline. We'll just try again tomorrow. That's it."

She always held that smile when she looked at Peter. That reassuring, exuberant smile no matter what they were running in to or what they were dealing with. The same one she put on whenever Peter turned around to comment on something, good or bad. It was her job to keep his spirits up and that smile was the best she could muster in this place. She was no cheerleader.

"Um, thanks for letting me read this."

She held the notebook out to Peter as he took a seat there on the rock. It didn't look like distracting him was a good thing to do, but if he was just going to stare at the map and mope, then Kaitlin wasn't doing a very good job of keeping his spirits high. It didn't look like it was going to work though, getting the two of them lost seemed to hit Peter pretty hard. This wouldn't be easy.

"So, um... do you want to show me how to make a trap? Maybe we could catch dinner. Or breakfast."

A chill went down Kaitlin's spine as she thought about that. It was true that she was hungry and would kill for a trip to the mall's food court right about now, forgetting how bad that sounded when the thought came to mind, but capturing some little critter up there on the mountain to be cooked for their dinner just didn't sit well in her stomach. But they did need to eat something other than bread and crackers and what little junk food remained. Kaitlin certainly didn't bring a cheeseburger with her on the trip. Like everyone else, she thought food would be provided, so she only brought something to munch on during the bus ride. Nothing more, nothing less. So right about now, squirrel stew sounded very appetizing. No matter how squeamish she would likely be.

"I could help set up camp, if you need it. That notebook really had a lot of useful stuff in it."

Without prompting from Peter, Kaitlin started to look around for wood perfect for a fire and decent sized rocks that she could actually lift, ones to surround the fire and keep it from burning down everything around them. She wanted to help and she wanted to be as useful as she possibly could. When she finally did spot some goo things to use for camp, she scurried off to pick them up and bring them back. Like a puppy with the newspaper, she hurried off to pick up old, dead wood and decent sized rocks as fast as she could, bringing them back to where Peter was and setting them down.

Perhaps she shouldn't have read Peter's notebook.

"Don't be sorry. Come on, let's get to work. We've got a while yet, right?"

Kaitlin just kept smiling.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Dr. Nic. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
T-Fox†

Post by T-Fox† »

She was trying to reassure him. He wanted it to work. He really, really did. But honestly, he was paranoid. He was paranoid that she was inwardly fuming at him, and just didn't want to deal with him any worse than this. Everything told him that he should not have fucked up like this.

At the same time though... Could anyone watching really blame him? His scoutmaster, the younger scouts? He was under stress that most people save veterans would probably never see in their entire lives.

His hand, for the first time in years, slipping under the collar of his shirt, gripping at a pair of metallic, aluminum discs that had been hidden for the past few days.

LEO ERNEST THERRIEN
USN79301737
T-53____________AB-
_________________P

It was something he looked at to give him strength in his weakest moments. He had since he'd received them for his 10th birthday from his grandfather. He barely understood the implications at the time. These were something that a man held on to for his entire life. That really should have tipped something off. How naive he was. His grandfather is... was a fantastic man. And Peter would remember the good times fondly. But recently, and especially right before the trip, he had been slipping. Not physically, he was still in peak condition. Dementia was the problem here. Since the moment of clarity six years ago, his grandfather had just gotten worse and worse. Last he saw of the man, he was sitting at home in front of a blank TV, occasionally laughing at the dead screen and responding to every prompt with a noise halfway between a groan and a grunt.

It was just so depressing.

But he was still once the strongest man Peter had ever known. And god damn it, he was sure that Grandpa would have been proud of him right now. So many of his classmates had resorted to killing. To giving into those instincts that were still around from back in the stone age. Kill or be killed. He had risen above that. He had passed on his knowledge, just like his grandfather had to him. And frankly, he was making one girl's life a hell of a lot more safe, and a hell of a lot more comfortable.

That had to count for something, right? He glanced up to the sky, the setting sun off in the distance painting it a beautiful shade of pink and red.

He wanted to believe that someday Grandpa would be back to his old self. But right now, he didn't even have the solace that the man was staring down at him from above. He was still on this planet. For this time, he was just... gone. Not here, not there. Not in the present, or the after. Twilight. Just like right now.

His thoughts were jarred by Katlin's welcome voice. He would have gotten teary-eyed in a few minutes if she hadn't spoken up.

"So, um... do you want to show me how to make a trap? Maybe we could catch dinner. Or breakfast."

He nodded, glad to have something to do to keep his mind off of his worries and his wants. A snare would probably be the easiest to pull off... and it's not like they hadn't found animal droppings on their way up the mountain. It was good to see that at least the ecosystem seemed unfazed by their plight.

"Yeah, I can definitely show you how to set up a trap. We just need some sticks, some rope or wire... and we need to make some mud too. But we really shouldn't waste our water..."

Wow, she was totally gonna love the whole piss to make mud idea. Whatever, just trail off there and hope she doesn't pick it up again.

"I could help set up camp, if you need it. That notebook really had a lot of useful stuff in it."

Before he could even begin to form a response, she had bound off, bringing back sticks, logs, rocks... Everything nature had to offer and putting in a neat little pile. Honestly, it was almost adorable how much she wanted to help. And she was actually not doing a bad job. Some of those sticks could be used for the trap, and one of those rocks was perfect to use as a little cooking plate. His lips cracked into a smile for the first time since day one where he had actually gotten to hold Katlin in his arms.

"Don't be sorry. Come on, let's get to work. We've got a while yet, right?"

He nodded, a shallow nod, but an affirmation none the less. They had work to do. They couldn't escape if they couldn't survive, could they?

"Yeah, let's get to it. We'll get a fire started, and then we can work on setting up that trap."

Eyeballing the sticks and logs, he quickly came up with a plan of attack. Setting the stones in a small ring, he then used them as something to prop the sticks up on, making a teepee out of the tinder. From there, he leaned the larger logs over, starting on the outside of the rocks, reinforcing the structure with a few larger rocks. Removing the flat, thin one from the pile, he then took one of the smaller pieces of flint that had broken off, and pulled the scissors from the first aid kit they were provided. The scraping noise was legitimately satisfying, but the spark wasn't quite enough to light the tinder. He reached to the notebook, taking a fresh sheet and crumpling it, placing it in the tenderly crafted stick structure. Another scrape, and the paper was alight. He would just have to protect the fledgling fire from the wind for a few minutes, but that should definitely do the trick.

Surprisingly, something he had done so many times before was enough to just make him keep on trucking. Some small goal, some little purpose to look upon gave him all the strength in the world.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler T-Fox. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Dr. Nic†

Post by Dr. Nic† »

Kaitlin was absolutely thrilled to see Peter getting back into the swing of things. Seeing him so down again was depressing, especially after she worked to pick his spirits up the first time. Thankfully, it was easier to get his mind back on the task at hand this time. He just needs a good kick in the pants every now and then it seemed, and as long as he was going to stay with her, Kaitlin was willing to give him that kick whenever he needed it. Or at least, whenever she thought that he needed it.

"Sounds like a plan."

She beamed a smile his way and watched patiently as he struck up a fire for their little campsite, watching closely as he worked, making sure she got a good view and understood how he did it. After all, she would need to remember these things if she wanted to be of more help to him. Gathering sticks and stones was all well and good but if that was all she could do, she wasn't going to be much of any help. But she still had a lot to learn and watching Peter was the best way to learn, so that is what she would do for quite some time. She'd help whenever she could, but she spent a great deal of time just watching.

Well, watching and talking.

"Hey, um... Peter? Do you mind if I ask about what you were holding earlier?"

She nodded her head for a second to motion toward Peter's neck.

"You seemed lost in thought then, so I was sort of curious."

But asking about someone's personal possessions might have seemed rude, especially if it was something precious and close to their heart, so Kaitlin thought to offer up a little information of her own. She unzipped the top of the jacket and slipped her fingers just into the top of her shirt to pull out the locket.

"This and Theodore are the only things I have left of my dad. My mother... she..."

Kaitlin had to bite her lip for a second before the words would come back to her. She swallowed and forced them to come out. This was one of the first times she'd ever actually told anyone about her locket, or Theodore for that matter. Hell, it probably was the first time. But... but she trusted Peter, and more than anything, she wanted him to trust her too.

"She doesn't like that I keep these. We got in to a fight before prom."

Thinking back on what her mother had done... Kaitlin idly rubbed her cheek.

"But I still love him, y'know? He's still my daddy."

Even if her eyes had begun to water and her vision had started to blur, she looked back to Peter and smiled as brightly as she could. Everything was going to be okay, and when they made it out of here, she was going to find him. She was on television, after all! Everyone seemed to watch this show, so maybe, just maybe, he would be watching. Maybe he was trying to find her. Maybe he was trying to save her.

"When we get out of here... would you like to meet him? I'm going to find him. Television shows always bring families together!"

She nodded and tried her best to keep that smile on her face.

"We'll find my dad and... and we'll get ice cream. Sundaes, right?"

Who was she trying to convince... herself, or Peter?
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Dr. Nic. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
T-Fox†

Post by T-Fox† »

((Sorry for the delay. I was focusing on getting Colin's death done in time.))

His busy little mind had already turned to attempting to recall the logistics of creating the trap. A small snare. Just enough for a squirrel, a rabbit, or if he was lucky a garter snake or something. Those things were good, if a little crispy usually. Cooking them was an adventure all it's own. He'd have to make a point to tell Katlin the whole story at some point.

"Hey, um... Peter? Do you mind if I ask about what you were holding earlier?"

He rose his head from the small bundle that had formed before him, turning to look at Katlin, the fire's warm glow concealing the small blush about his cheeks. She saw that? It was something he usually didn't share with people. Mostly because he knew no one would care, but partly because of the memories it drudged up. But Katlin was different. There had not been a single word that had come from his mouth that she didn't hang off of with a child like awe and passion. And he felt more comfortable around her than anyone he had before, even... Even Luke.

His head bowed as he tugged on the chains, the sound of the rattling tags and his own sniffle masking her words.

"These... There were my Grandfather's back in the fifties. Nineteen fifty three, I think. He was a naval officer back in the Korean war."

A swift, sharp tug, and the chain broke in the back; just like it always did. The rusty little clasp was weak, it was a trick his grandfather had used once during the war to save his life upon his own capture. He smiled a little, a sad look flashing through his eyes. He then held them aloft, the shining metal dangling as it's reflection danced across the mountain's face. His eyes drifted to her hands as she unzipped her own bag, pulling a small stuffed toy from it's opening. He remembered that from the day he had met her. She was clinging to it and speaking to a camera.

They all had their own forms of comfort. This really was a trying time. For everyone. Even the killers. He could almost sympathize. There was no excuse, but... There really was a feeling of hopelessness to this entire thing. There was no small wonder that people would play the game.

"This and Theodore are the only things I have left of my dad. My mother... she..."

She looked so sad all of a sudden. He could tell that something painful was about to come out. And for the life of him, he couldn't fathom why. He trusted her already. More than he trusted just about anyone on the island. He just wanted to force himself to reach up, put a finger to her lips, and hold her in his arms. Like they did in the movies. All those strong, confident guys. What he wanted to be.

"She doesn't like that I keep these. We got in to a fight before prom."

The thing he would never be. So like a good friend, he sat and listened to Katlin tell her tale, a look of worry and concern spreading across his own visage. She almost seemed like her mother was abusive... But he didn't know well enough to say. Not that it mattered now. Not for right now at least. He knew that if they both got off of the island, that he would protect her. Just like he was now. Protect her from her mother, if she had ever struck her. He didn't want to leave her side.

"When we get out of here... would you like to meet him? I'm going to find him. Television shows always bring families together!"

A soft smile spread across his lips as realization dawned on him. He was so protective... Because he was falling in love. But who was he to love a girl as beautiful and naive as her? He was just a creepy little sixteen year old senior, such an outdoorsman. She was... She was well, Katlin. There was no describing. He knew the feelings were genuine, and that she meant every word about trust and friendship. But he was convinced that the feelings would dull within a few years off the island.

"We'll find my dad and... and we'll get ice cream. Sundaes, right?"

Then again. Peter had no understanding of how love really worked.

And he nodded. He nodded to reassure her, but he nodded to tell himself. He had something precious to protect, whether or not he deserved it. "You're damn right we will." The confidence in his voice was the same as the first day. Things just had to go right. They would. Things always went right for those who were so determined, right?

He at least had to tell himself that until he was blue in the face; until he believed it himself.

---

A few hours later, just as the midnight hour was about to rise, and a small snap echoed through the air. "The Snare!" His entire body seemed to swivel on it's own as he quickly shuffled his way across the small mountain pass he had found, an ideal phalanx for a trap. A small rabbit dangled in the air, suspended from a stone which he had to have Katlin's help to reach. A smile. And then he looked over his shoulder, his companion was directly behind him. Unfortunately his pocketknife had been taken along with a few other supplies, so he would have to improvise with the watch.

"Katlin... You might not want to watch this part."

The Epee slid from his belt loop. He had to be humane about this poor creature's death. Waiting for the shuffling of footsteps behind him, after a sufficient amount of time, his voice broke the silence that was only punctuated by the 'screams' of the terrified animal.

"Through your death brings others life. Thank God for this sacrifice, and let your body be committed to earth."

A soft, barely audible gurgle as the tip pierced the Rabbit's throat, and the poor creature's flailing stopped. Blood dripped down the steel. A deep breath, and he freed the now lifeless body from it's prison. The act of skinning the poor creature was... tough with nothing but fiber-wire to say the least, but by two in the morning, the pair laid full, with fresh cooked rabbit in their bellies.

[Transition to Day 6]
Dr. Nic†

Post by Dr. Nic† »

Kaitlin sniffled and wiped her eyes with the sleeve of the jacket Peter had been so kind to give her the day before. It was warm and so soft, she couldn't help but feel safe wearing it. As long as Peter was by her side, Kaitlin knew they would get through anything. They would survive despite the killers, they would escape despite Danya, and they would find her Dad despite her Mother. They just had to. It was just how things were going to happen. They would survive and they would live happily ever after, exactly how it was supposed to be.

"Yeah. Thank you, Peter. For everything. If it weren't for you, I don't know if I would have survived so long. No... I know I wouldn't have survived so long."

Kaitlin put on her brightest smile once again, always trying to keep it going no matter what she was thinking about or what was happening. Smiling always helped. It made people feel better and no matter what, she would smile for Peter so long as it kept him going. As long as Peter was by her side, Kaitlin could take on the world. And she would stay by his to help him up should he ever falter and fall. She knew she wasn't very strong or very brave, and she knew she was all but completely useless when it came to survival, but she was going to help him whenever and however she could. Even if he had to teach her how.

Peter was one hell of a teacher.

Kaitlin watched as Peter assembled the trap, trying to help out whenever she could. Setting up as many traps as they could was a good idea, but by the end of their trip away from the campsite, Kaitlin had a number of little scraps and bruises on her hands. Those deadfall traps were hard to set without getting hurt, and Kaitlin could attest to that. But they had plenty of traps set and all they would have to do is wait.

And wait.

And wait..

And wait...

By the time it was dark, Kaitlin was already starting to nod off. Peter was wide awake and ever vigilant, but Kaitlin wasn't a camping kind of girl. Or even a late night kind of girl. When Peter shouted and sprang to life, Kaitlin damn near fell over, her heart racing. It took Kaitlin a little longer to spring to life than Peter, but soon enough she was right behind him, following him out to one of the traps. Still rubbing her eyes, she felt her stomach flip and drop inside her when she saw the rabbit. There was no way in hell she would be able to watch what came next and she was quick to run back to their campsite, covering her ears and burying her face in her backpack.

She cried alone for the poor bunny.

When Peter came back with it, she tried hard to ignore him. Despite wanting to help him and always be ready with a smile for him, she just... just couldn't watch that. She couldn't stand to watch or think about anything that came after they had caught that poor little bunny. She almost couldn't bear even the thought of eating when it was finally cooked, but her stomach won out and she gave in. No matter how cute bunnies were, she still needed to eat something other than bread and crackers. So, reluctantly, she ate with Peter, trying hard not to think about what they were eating or what they had to do in order to have such a meal.

But Kaitlin had to admit...

Poor little roasted bunny was delicious.

They spent a little more time sitting up, finishing their meal and downing the last of that days ration of water. Kaitlin was still sniffling, once in a great while, but she tried not to bring much attention to that fact. She tried to ignore it and forget about it, and certainly didn't want Peter to be worried. But when everything was said and done, and they were getting ready to curl up and go to sleep, Kaitlin just couldn't close her eyes without seeing that bunny. And with that image stuck in her mind, she just couldn't sleep there alone.

"Peter?"

Kaitlin sat up and looked over at Peter as he was lying on the other side of the fire. Close enough for the warmth but not so close that you could be burned. That's what he'd mentioned before, but it was a little hazy in her mind right about now. She had more depressing things to keep her mind on, like dead bunnies and the families of those dead bunnies coming to take her away in her sleep.

"Peter? Can I... um... I mean, if you're not comfortable with it that's okay. But, um, could I... sleep with you tonight?"

When he gave her the go-ahead, Kaitlin flashed a little smile and picked up her things, Theodore held in her arms tight as she scooted on over to lie with Peter. She didn't think anything of it, cuddling up with Peter and staying close to him. It may not help a lot, but it would help just enough to let her feel safer. Let her feel comfortable. Right now, she wanted to feel as safe as she possibly could and Peter perfect for that. So, she cuddled up with him and held Theodore tight in her arms, smiling softly.

"Goodnight Peter. Sweet dreams."

Kaitlin drifted off next to Peter. Safe and sound.
T-Fox†

Post by T-Fox† »

The birds were chirping, the sun was rising, it was 5:59 AM. And the pair was still soundly sleeping. The feeling of Katlin's warms arms around him was comforting and made him feel safe, secure, and like he had a real purpose. In short, everything was going pretty damn well for the boy, all things considered. Except for his sleep schedule. While the arms and the warm body about him was comfortable, it was still a foreign feeling to Peter. And as such, he had a bit of trouble falling asleep. Not having fallen asleep till 1 AM, wiggling, careful not to wake his friend.

So when that damned speaker cracked to life, he was damn exhausted.

By the time anything that Peter really cared about had rolled over the announcements, he was sitting up in the sleeping bag, rubbing the tired from his eyes. None of the names really meant anything to him except adding to his overall depression about the state of their lives as seniors of Bayview High. With each name, as with every other announcement, his heart hung low in his chest, paying a moment of respect for each of his peers; whether or not they had been friendly or even civil to him in those hallways.

But one name caught his attention.

"Someone finally managed to extract a little measure of revenge out of one of our big killers. Clio Gabriella is no more, shot by Tabitha Gweneth."

He blinked, trying to see if he had heard that right. The girl he remembered from Chemistry, the soft spoken, quiet girl in the back of the room, Tabitha, had ended the life of one of the biggest killers on the island.

He... Really didn't even know what to think of that.

It was mere moments before the last of the announcement had passed, and it didn't even knock him out of his thoughts for long enough to catch the Danger Zones. Thankfully he had missed Ridley's name voiced directly afterwards... If he had known, he damn near may have lost his mind.

Clio was a murderer, plain and simple. She had been carving a path of violence, blood and tears across the island. She had killed Luke. Yet... She was still another Senior at Bayview. She was still an innocent kid, turned into something... else. But should he feel sympathetic? Should he feel bad? Still sitting here atop this mountain, staring out at the admittedly beautiful view, he was sane. He had not ended the life of another. It wasn't that far fetched for him to do so; if anyone tried to harm him or Ridley, well god damn it he would defend them.

His gaze lowered to the Epee lying a few feet away, its blade glimmering in the rising sun.

Could he forgive her? He shook his head. It really shouldn't be bothering him. She would have killed him and Katlin on sight, and he knew it. For a fact. Why was he even caring?

Because that's who he was, that's why.

With a few gentle motions, he shed the sleeping bag from his form, and slipped over to his backpack, pulling a fresh, clean set of clothes and a stick of deodorant from it. It was his last clean set. Holding the cloth in a neat, folded little pile in his arms, his head turned over his shoulder to look over to Katlin.

He would never consider changing in front of her... But he needed to get out of these clothes, and it wasn't like there was exactly anywhere to go hide, anything to slip behind and hide himself from her. Heck, even his usual tactic of changing in the sleeping bag wouldn't work... She was in there... It would be like... Be like...

A heated, bright red blush almost immediately flashed across his cheeks as he averted his eyes to the stony path on which they had made camp. The light of the dying fire's coals caught his attention out of the corner of his eyes, so he glanced over to that, focusing his gaze on the dancing red embers as he spoke, trying not to look, trying not to continue those thoughts...

This was not the time, not the place...

And god damn it Peter, you are not the right person anyways, even if it were!

"Morning... Sleep well?"
Dr. Nic†

Post by Dr. Nic† »

Well now, that was certainly a pleasant night of sleep. If not for Peter then at least for Kaitlin. Being able to cuddle up with someone and stay warm and safe, with Theodore in her arms and a smile on her face, it was one of the greatest luxuries they had here on the island. There were a few others that Peter was able to afford them, like the hot meal they had the night before or the warmth of a fire every night. But the best would have to be the safe and comfortable, that was most important of all, safe and comfortable nights sleep they were able to have. It put Kaitlin's mind at ease after the events of the previous night to know that when she woke up, Peter would be by her side. He would always be there if Kaitlin had her way.

Then again, if she had her way they wouldn't even be on this island.

She could feel Peter moving behind her, but she tried to keep her eyes closed, tried to keep as still as she would be while she slept. It wasn't a matter of wanting to go back to sleep, as Kaitlin was probably more awake than Peter was, but she didn't want him to know that. Didn't want him to think that he woke her up with his moving. Didn't want him to know that she noticed that poking. When she realized what it had been, she buried her face in to Theodore to hide the blush and tried to forget about it, shrugging it off as reflex. Just something that happened in the morning. But that was the first time she'd slept so close to Peter, so it was the first time she'd noticed.

The announcements were a welcome distraction.

Clio, huh? I wonder what Peter thinks of that.

Kaitlin just continued to lie where she was and hold Theodore tight as more and more names were called out. She hated that voice, hated the inevitability of the announcements. She hated being woken up by them early on but now, she was awake before they even started. Fear. Anticipation. She didn't know which drove her to wake up and listen to them every morning, but she did it. Reluctantly, she kept a list. All the names she could write down in time, all the names she could hear. The list was getting longer every day.

Without Peter by her side, Kaitlin sighed softly.

"Peter?"

She turned over now, looking at him as he stood there, smile on his face, looking down at her from beside the remains of the fire.

"Are you... happy? That Clio is dead, I mean."

Pushing herself up to sit up and hold Theodore in her lap, Kaitlin stared up at Peter expectantly, awaiting his answer yet not quite staying quiet enough for his answers to register to the smiling girl in his bed. Makeshift bed, but his bed none-the-less.

"What I'm getting at is... Well, she killed Luke, and now someone killed her. I was kind of wondering... how you felt. How you were handling it."

She trailed off for a moment, yawning and rubbing the sleep from her eyes. Seemed she was sleepier than she thought. And a lot more forward and blunt with her questions that she probably realized, at that. But she had her questions and her concerns and she wanted to voice them, and she hoped and believed that Peter would be honest with her. That he would be forthcoming with the answers. But taking her mind off of the answers, Kaitlin noticed the clothes that Peter held and realized that he was going to go off and change, and that she could probably afford to do the same. If Peter were another girl, it probably wouldn't be an issue changing there at their camp. But, Peter being Peter, Kaitlin saw the issue. And blushed at it, if only for a moment.

"Oh, um... I'll uh, turn around."

As she spun round where she sat and tried to focus on something far off in the distance, she mulled over her thoughts. Over their situation. Over her dirty, messy hair.

Where did I put my comb?
T-Fox†

Post by T-Fox† »

There was no real response to his question, just a soft questioning of his name as the sleep was still evident in his partner from last night's voice. And the question that followed was... confusing to say the absolute least. How in God's name could he be happy when he stared death in the face every da- oh.

"...That Clio is dead, I mean."

Oh.

How had someone who he had only met once he was on the island gained such a propensity for reading his damn mind so quickly? It seemed absolutely impossible; hell, Luke and Ridley had never even been that good at it and they were as close to the same person as you could get. But Kalin... There was honestly something special about her. And this new ability was disconcerting and strange... Worrying. But at the same time, strangely comforting. It was like he had known her for his entire life, and it was on a level nice to know that she understood him so well.

He was becoming more and more comfortable around her too. Which was good. Except for the fact that they both could be dead tomorrow morning.

"What I'm getting at is... Well, she killed Luke, and now someone killed her. I was kind of wondering... how you felt. How you were handling it."

He made a conscious effort to push that depressing, depressing thought out of his mind, and respond to Katlin's questions, even if they were creepy on a small level.

"I mean... I know I should be glad she's dead. She killed one of my two best friends. Well... Three now." He leveled a small smile at her. "But... At the same time, I don't know. I really don't think that anyone is irredeemable. No one deserves to die. Even for killing. I feel like if we had all gotten out of here, I probably would have been able to forgive her someday. Some day way down the line, but someday none the less. I mean... Look at the situation we're in here."

He let out a small sigh, plopping down on the log that he had set up for a stool the night before, resting his elbows on his legs and his head in his hands. "Don't get me wrong... It's not like I'm sad to see her go." He looked to the sky, to the red of the sunrise that mirrored their tiny little fire, cooling and dying as the night gave way to morning. "But... I just still don't think she deserved to die."

He wasn't going to be able to get this off of his mind for ages.

"Oh, um... I'll uh, turn around."

Apparently she had already noticed the clothes he had in his arms, and nodded just in time for her to look away. Making the motions as quickly as possible, he swapped from his raggedy old T-Shirt and jeans to the only set of clean clothes he had left. His Boy Scout uniform. He wasn't even sure why he'd brought the damned thing along. Once the clothing was on, he noticed all the frills, epilets, and badges that adorned the kahki shirt, and promptly began removing them.

"You can look again if you want."

By the time he was done stripping it down, all that remained was the shirt itself, and his Eagle Scout badge. He could get his hands on all of the other badges again. But these were beyond hard to come by. You had to put in to the local council, get permission, all these verifications... Honestly, screw that. He was too proud of that badge to pull it off.

It only took a minute before he was sitting again, a stick poking at the fire. He motioned to his pack with his head, offering a coy little smile. "I saved you a little of my rabbit from last night... You can probably still heat it up over the coals. I really don't want to start it up again, we really need to move soon."

He glanced over at the bag, a heavy heart returning. He was not looking forward to the next day.

"As tempting as it is to stay for as long as we can... I mean the view is beautiful, and it's so peaceful up here. But... The longer we're here the more danger we're in."

He shook his head, taking in a deep breath. The smell of reheated meat was going to make him so much hungrier than he already was. But he could deal with it. For her.
Dr. Nic†

Post by Dr. Nic† »

Staring off at something in the distance as if it was the most interesting thing ever, Kaitlin waited. She fiddled with the jacket and continued to focus on something other than the boy behind her stripping. Where should they be going? What should they be doing? She knew where they were going, but she wanted to think more about where they should be instead of where they were going to be. The things they were going to do... she didn't want to think about it. She wanted to think of something nicer. But she still hoped that when they did do what they had to do that it would turn out alright. Maybe Peter could put her mind at ease.

She turned to say something.

Oh. Wow.

Snapping back in to position, Kaitlin tried to hide her face and the building blush. She really wasn't supposed to look. She should have remembered that. But it slipped her mind. Yeah, that's what happened. That's how she would explain it, if he asked. If he noticed. Oh god, she hoped he didn't notice. That would be the worst. Shaking her head for a moment, she tried to forget about it. He didn't notice. And as long as she didn't bring it up, he wouldn't know she saw. So, she started to hum. Silently at first, just playing out the song in her head, but as she sat there and stared off into the distance, her silent humming became less silent. It was an odd little tune, but it was nice. Some song she heard a long time ago. She wasn't quite sure where she heard it, but she liked it.

Peter's voice snapped her out of her little world.

With a smile, she turned back to face him. He looked nice. A little different, and maybe a little strange, but nice. She didn't quite expect that bundle of clothes to have turned out to be some sort of uniform. But he looked good in it.

"You look nice."

Plain and simple statements. It was certainly an improvement from the last things she said. She should really apologize for that, but bringing it up again might bum him out. But what if not apologizing made him mad? But then, bringing it up might make him mad too...

Kaitlin sighed heavily, tried to focus on something else.

Breakfast was a good choice.

"Thank you."

Taking her hands away from their task of fiddling with her jacket, Kaitlin went about getting the food he mentioned. To go with it, she also got out some of her own bread and a couple crackers, and managed to assemble what she decided was a sandwich. Hey, it wasn't perfect, but it was the best sandwich to ever made.

At least, in her opinion.

"Here."

Kaitlin held half of her creation out to Peter. Wouldn't exactly be fair to eat the food he saved and not share it with him, now would it? No, it wouldn't. So, with that always soft and sweet smile, Kaitlin ate with Peter. It was a meager breakfast, but it was still nice. A nice view and good company would make even break and water seem like a feast. Which was good. They'd have a lot of that ahead of them.

"Well then, I suppose we should get going. Y'know, I never went hiking before I met you. It's... kind of fun, despite the situation. It's nice up here."

Gathering up her bags, Kaitlin scurried over to join Peter while he put out the fire. She'd have to remember that. She couldn't let Peter handle everything when it came to making camp. He'd taught her a lot already, but she still had so much more to learn. But she tried not to think about that for now. Right now, her focus was on him.

Even though nothing in this place was certain, Kaitlin was still happy. Happy to have someone by her side. Happy to have someone protecting her and teaching her. Happy to have someone who cared about her. And most importantly, happy to have someone she cared about by her side.

Maybe it was more than simple caring...

"You ready?"

Always smiling. Always by his side.

When she held his hand, she was happy. She was content. She was safe.

When she held his hand.

[Girl #48 - Kaitlin Anderheim. Continued in Endings & Beginnings.]
T-Fox†

Post by T-Fox† »

She was being so curt. Not rude, per se. Just... she seemed to be cutting everything off early. He knew what they were trying to do was repulsive... Poor Katlin. He really was asking a lot of her. Had this all finally gotten to her? He debated for just a moment asking her if she was absolutely sure she wanted to do this...

But really, what other option did they have? Play the game? No way.

His eyes fell to his companion as she bent over, flipping the small blue flap of canvas covering his bag, revealing the leg of rabbit, no longer protected from the elements. It was all he could do not to smile. How could he be smiling at a time like this? But... Just something about Katlin's eagerness was enough to make him happy. Something about how there was still someone so naive on this island... Well, two somebodies, counting himself.

He unceremoniously plopped onto his still unrolled sleeping bag, a swishy noise coming from it as it rubbed against itself, the air within rushing from it's mouth. And then, a sigh followed. He really was naive if he thought this was going to work. He knew that the school last year had at least tried... Hell, they had gotten their collars off. That had been all over the news.

Honestly, it's part of what gave him hope in the first place. A drive to do this. If they had done it, so could he. He could save everyone. Well... Obviously not everyone. For over one hundred souls, it was far too late. His efforts hadn't been enough.

Either way. What then? Once he and Katlin had their collars off... What would they do? Go hide in a danger zone somewhere, away from the fighting? Wait like cowards for the rest of their classmates to finish each other off?

He'd heard what Dodd, Sinclair, and the others had to do to even try to get off the island. As much as Peter admired them, he wasn't a fighter.

"Here."

He looked up. And pretty much right in his face was a half of what looked like a sandwich, with a little piece of burnt meat dangling from the edge.

"Oh no, Katlin... I saved it for you. You have it."

The pair went back and forth for a good few minutes, bickering over who would eat the meager ration as if it were the biggest problem in the world, before Peter finally gave in and ate it.

How incredibly nice it was to have his mind off the real issues at hand for once.

So, in relative silence, they finished their breakfast, watching as the last glitter of the coals finally died out, just trying to enjoy a chance to relax, to be safe, for once. For all he knew, this could be that final opportunity to ever just... Chill. Just be a carefree teenager. Sure, there was impending doom all around him, but as the sun painted the morning sky a rolling orange, the occasional call of an exotic bird... He could just, for fleeting moments at a time, focus on the beauty around him. And beside him. When had Katlin gotten that close to hi-

"Well then, I suppose we should get going. Y'know, I never went hiking before I met you. It's... kind of fun, despite the situation. It's nice up here."

He swallowed, and nodded, doing his best to not look as if her just being there had scared him half to death out of his thoughts. Ridley was used to that kind of stupid crap out of him by now, but Katlin wasn't.

Wow, why am I still trying to make such a good impression on her?

"Erm, yeah. I know what you mean. Let's get this fire put out, and get moving. We have a decent amount of ground to cover today."

With that, he began to pack his things. Having done this so many times before, it only took him about fifteen minutes. But as he hoisted his bag onto his shoulder, and kicked the now smoldering coals apart to kill any chance of a forest fire starting... He stared off into the sun. No longer was that beautiful sunrise upon them, but it had finally broken into day from dawn.

True beauty is always fleeting...

He then turned his head to his companion, who seemed to be staring off into the same deep blue sky that he had been just a moment before. Just her form, her face captured his attention like it never had before, the glow of the morning sun radiating off of her skin...

Or... Maybe it really isn't.

He cracked a smile, and motioned back down the mountain, towards a small dirt road off in the distance. They'd get off this island yet.

There was just too much to live for.

((Peter McCue continued in Endings & Beginnings.))

[TOPIC CONCLUDED]

Return to “The Mountain”