A Solitude That Asks Nothing In Return

B082 Ivan Kuznetsov Start - TOPIC CLOSED

These are the woods on the island’s Western coast. The trees run nearly all the way to the sea, allowing only a thin stretch of beach, which disappears altogether depending on the tide.
MK Kilmarnock

A Solitude That Asks Nothing In Return

Post by MK Kilmarnock »

The waves rolled in and rolled back out again, never letting anything in the way of their constant, peaceful motion. The sound was practically enthralling. What would being a wave feel like? Would it contain all the helplessness of having your path chosen for you, never to control where you were headed, set for a crash course against the face of some mass of land only to be dragged back out? Or perhaps, would it feel like a rush of phenomenal power, knowing no other force on the planet could stop the energies and way of the world that cause you to be, cause you to act, cause you to carry on.

Ivan sat at the forest's edge, envying the waves.

Ivan Kuznetsov, Male Student no. 082 Start

He hadn't moved very far from where he had woken up a short while ago. A few grains of sand still persistently clung to the back of his head and neck, despite him having wiped the irritating substance away to the best of his ability. The thin strip of beach on which Ivan had found himself was now disappearing, currently losing an ebbing, flowing battle against the tide, which proceeded to gain more and more territory. He had moved back aways, now sitting on the edge of the woods with his back pressed against a rough-barked tree. He hadn't uttered so much as a single word since awakening on the island, and there was no point. The tree did not have ears; the waves did not have cares.

As he longed to lead that simpler life enjoyed by the water, many things were running through Ivan's head. Why was this happening to them? Why Bayview? Louis once told him something about Survival of the Fittest, but Ivan could not bear to bring himself to try and remember much. Any lingering thought or memory of home was causing him a lot of immense pain right now. On this island, his captors expected him to kill his classmates. There was a very, grim possibility that Ivan was not going home, and he knew it. He couldn't allow the trembling of his body to show, however. There was nobody around him, and he wanted to keep it that way, but he had no way of knowing if a camera was near or not. He didn't see any, but he was sure that he was being seen.

Maybe, just maybe, a camera really was watching him. And on the chance it was, again... maybe. Maybe Louis would be watching from home. Ivan swallowed his spit at the thought, and he shut his eyes, allowing his ears to take over and listen for the crashing of the waves.

Louis... I hope you can understand if your big brother can't fight for a chance to see you again. But it's too stupid. I just want to stay away from everybody else. Stay out of the way. If I die, I would much rather die alone than have some... punk... standing over my corpse with even the slightest air of triumph. But... Mom... Aunt Vera, Louis... if I could bring myself to do it, just for a chance to treasure you more than I did, I would. I really, really would.

Ivan sighed and opened his eyes. He dropped them from the waves, just for a moment, to look at the daypack resting by his side. He had already taken a look at it as soon as his dizziness had warn off. He searched all through the bag for a weapon of some sort, as promised, but only found what seemed to be basic supplies: a flashlight, an umbrella, a first aid kid...

Wait... nobody said anything about an umbre-

Real cute, Danya. Real fucking cute.
GregTheAnti-Viking†

Post by GregTheAnti-Viking† »

((Tabitha "Tabi" Gweneth continued from Falling Sparrow))

Tabi had lost track of time and distance, all she knew is that she had to run; run as far away as she could. As she ran, the swamp began to disappear, and now the world became darker, and foliage started to dog her every move. She began to weave through trees and trip over branches, she could feel a pain in her legs and her entire body was wet with muddy swamp water, but that didn't matter, she had to get away.

Tabi feet soon became heavy, and her steps became more labourous. She saw a light at the end of the darkness though and she urged her feet forwards. She still had her trusty butterfly net clenched in her right hand and she was sure that now it wouldn't leave her hands even if a hurricane blew past now. Her free hand began to use trees as a leaning post in an attempt to help guide her forwards. A familiar sound began to creep into her ears.

I-Is that...the ocean...

Tabi wiped her brow in an attempt to remove the endless stream of sweat the poured down her forehead. The attempt was a bitter failure though as her efforts just yielded more salty water. She breathed heavily as she finally reached the light.

Her guess proved to be correct as she found herself standing in front of a rather tiny beach. She was momentarily captivated by the view, the ocean went on for miles, and there was not an island or boat in sight. Tabi let out a loud sneeze and then the thoughts returned to her.

I'm all alone...

Her breath began to accelerate once more as she turned her head to the left, she saw nothing but trees...

She turned her head to the right...

There was a boy, a muscular boy holding of all things: an umbrella. He was a muscular man with blond hair and a pair of glasses placed on his nose.

All control and care had vanished from her mind. There was a person here! She had found someone!

Her strength suddenly returned to her in the form of a second wind.

"A real live person!" she yelled as loud as she could, and then bolted towards this mystery man and latched onto his back like it was her closest friend in the whole world.

"Th-Th-Thank g-g-god, wh-who-whoever you are..." she cried out. She began to sob into his shirt, relieved that she now had someone here, she didn't need to pinch herself, it wasn't a dream.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler GregTheAnti-Viking. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
MK Kilmarnock

Post by MK Kilmarnock »

Ivan had passed his credo to the island. His code was set, and he was sure in what he was going to do, even if he hadn't said it aloud yet. Silence was perfectly alright with him, as the waves had a lot more to say, and could speak volumes more of meaning and deepness than he ever could. Everything he had wanted to say, he said in life. His real life, not the pale imitation he was about to hold on the island for a few days. His few last days.

Maybe, maybe when the area he was in was declared a danger zone (a tiny fragment remaining from that previous, terrible night), he would find a nearby camera and talk to Louis for the last time. Tell him all his plans for them both, and what Louis would now have to carry out on his own. A message for him to give to his mother and aunt, both of which he was sure would be unable to bring themselves to watch the television... he knew he wouldn't be able to. But that was then, and this was currently nothing, no time of particular interest. Just... watching the waves until he died.

The plodding of footsteps had decided to crash Ivan's party, however. His ear tickled a bit as he caught the sound, and his eyes opened, brow furrowed.

What the... they sound pretty fast!

He had barely enough time to make this observation, rising to his feet and taking a single step away from the tree before something collided with him from behind. He let out a grunt from the impact, but it also held tones of a scream, something that he wouldn't have cared to admit any other time. Here, though, Ivan knew he was scared, scared and thankful that he had a relatively empty bladder.

Adrenaline had pushed through the floodgates that were opening inside of him. Ivan took a couple steps forward in order to keep his balance and not fall on his face, but he lacked his arms for balance. They were both pinned to his sides by another pair of arms wrapped firmly around him in a surprisingly powerful grip. Probably a member of the football team, maybe basketball, or somebody who liked wrestling... all the more reason for Ivan to be scared. At least his glasses had managed to stay on his face, no mean feat. Green was supposed to be a calming color, but the tint of his lenses was far too little to keep the boy calm as he staved off a student obviously trying to kill him.

In the space of a second, Ivan released his grip on the umbrella in his left hand, letting it fall away from him to the side, lifted his chin up, and pushed out laterally with his shoulders as much as he could. His short stature was feasibly one strike against him; if he wasn't careful, somebody bigger could try and use this against him, as somebody was doing now. His muscles weren't meant to push the offender, his predator, off of him, but just disorient the grip enough for his next trick to work.

Exhaling in the form of a louder growl of fury, Ivan brought is head foward and down, raising his right foot to swing back and smash his heel into the shin of whatever person was grabbing him. He overshot a little in the panic, however, but it worked out alright. Now it was his calf aiming for their shin, which still should have been enough to disrupt the footing of his assaulter. Finally, he shoved his elbows out as the final cataclyst of momentum, swinging the person over his shoulder.

"Get... the FUCK... OFF!"

The moment the grappler had hit the ground, Ivan immediately identified her as female. There was a bit of shame to go along with that... for a girl, she was a very strong one. However, this island did not play gender favoritism, and Ivan had to play the same way. Quickly bending down to snatch up his umbrella, he stood up again, lined up his shoulders to the fallen girl, and pointed the umbrella directly at her face.

"Don't move. Don't scream. Who are you, what the hell do you want, and what do you have on you!?"
Yvaine†

Post by Yvaine† »

((Etain Brennan continued from Flicker))

"God damn it, Kris. Aren't ya a foine eejit, runnin' like tha'. Oi jus' wanted ta talk ta ya, and ye leg off." Etain was still muttering to himself, long after he lost his girlfriends (?) track. Maybe if he'd just ran after her, instead of stopping over that girl, he'd have caught her. Not bleeding likely, considering how damn fast she was. Even if he did keep on her, even he didn't splash face first on the water, she'd still outrun him. God, he just wished he'd found her sooner. If he just pulled himself together a little sooner, maybe he could have stopped her. Or she might have shot him. No. No, it was an accident. There was no way she meant to kill that girl. She was scared, rightly enough, and the girl must have surprised her. Any number of reasons. Kris was no killer, and he couldn't believe that she meant to kill anyone.

That was just one in a long line of things that was making this the worst day of his life. It's not enough that he's stuck on an island with the goal to kill everyone around. It wasn't enough that his best friend and love-interest killed someone and took off. No, his clothes had to be soaked on top of everything. It was like some great joke, like some Cosmic being was looking down and grinning. 'You think things are rough now? Let's have you risk catching a chill while dodging guns and knives'. God, all he wanted was to catch a break. Just to see a friendly face that wouldn't run off when he said hello.

Seeing how there wasn't any rush, and that Kris was long gone, he might as well take a breather. He'd been going full tilt ever since the swamp, ad he was beat. Now that he wasn't running as full tilt, he took notice of his surroundings. A thin line of trees separated him from a beach on his right with more thickets on every other side. If he was going to take a breather, he might as well catch some rays while he was at it. Etain pushed through the branches before emerging in the harsh sunlight overhead. Wincing, he dropped his extra bag and covered his eyes with his now free hand. After a second's thought, he set his bag down an began to rummage though it's contents. With a satisfied grin, he removed the C4, it's detonator, and the small pamphlet explaining how it would work.

Etain sat down in the shade, setting aside everything except the pamphlet. If he was going to be running around with explosives, it might help to know how they work. He only looked up when he heard voices further down the beach. By that point, he grasped the rudimentary idea of the time bomb in his day-pack, and, more importantly, how to work the safety on the detonator. He fiddled briefly with the panel on the face of the explosives until he thought it was set to the detonator. He then stuffed the explosives and the pamphlet back in his bag, while pocketing the detonator after triple-checking that it was set to safe. Maybe it wouldn't work for a trap, not with him constantly moving, but it would serve as a way to get out of a fight. After all, you wouldn't want to get close to a guy with his hand on the trigger of enough explosives to blow you both sky-high. Etain adjusted his hat before shouldering both bags and slipping back into the trees.

He made his way down the beach as quietly as possible until he neared the pair. Tabi? No way. Well, he did ask for a break, after all. He set Kris's bag down, but kept his thrown over his shoulder as he made his way through the trees. Now that he had a clear line of sight, he could see the second figure. He wasn't surprised that he didn't know him. He seemed to be brandishing an umbrella, which was...odd. Now, an umbrella didn't inherently pose much of a threat, yet he suddenly thought of Batman's Penguin. Odds were low it was an umbrella gun, but you never knew in this type of situation. "Tabi!" He called out, waving his left hand while keeping his right near the pocket with the detonator. "How're ya? Beginnin' ta tink tha' Oi was tha' only one about." Etain turned and offered a tip of his hat to the other boy. " 'Nd ye? How're we this foine mornin'? Least, Oi tink it's mornin'. Gettin' drugged tends ta mess wit me internal clock."
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the former handler Yvaine.
Brackie

Post by Brackie »

((Clio Gabriella continued from Testing Faith....1...2..3))

That motherFUCKER! HOW THE FUCK DID HE GET THAT GUN?

Clio was still fuming from having her second deserved kill stolen. By a whimpy Australian FAGGOT no less, who only managed to get the upper hand on her because of dumb luck! Clio was fuming all the way from the beach where she claimed her first victim. She should have taken his gun, she KNEW she should have taken it...

It wasn't long until the beach turned into woods, sand into dirt. Clio had something to kick at now without sending debris into her eyes.

God, what was going to happen now? She had a gun but, lethal as it was, her hands were busted and she couldn't shoot for squat. That one kill was lucky. She was going to have to find another way.

More of her classmates came into view. And there were 3 of them this time, instead of just two. And they weren't standing in a row or anything. So if she wanted to kill, it was going to have to wait until she could figure out how to shoot again without withstanding agony.

Still, that didn't stop her from holding the gun in both hands, aiming it at them, and calling out, did it?

As she got closer, and more into sight, she announced her prescence.

"H-hey!"

This was going to take a big effort, since Clio wasn't the best actress in the world.

"Hands where I can see them!"

That's it Clio, play the scared little girl...they have no idea...

"You aren't playing, are you?"
[+] The Island
V4: G069 - Clio Gabriella: Hold me closer, tiny dancer; count the headlights on the highway to hell.
V4: G083 - Paige Strand: Feelings don't try to hurt you, even the painful ones. You're responsible for all of the damn consequences.
V4: B118 - Jacob Charles: Every grieving heart has screamed at one time or another 'why can't you just let me die?'
V4: G114 - Aston Bennett: A woman who desires revenge must dig three graves.
V4: B108 - Ma'afu Tuigamala: Most men would rather forget a hard truth than face it.
V5: G015 - Janie Sinneave: Every human being must find her own way to cope with the impossible, and the only job of a true friend is to facilitate whatever method she doesn't choose.
V6: B018 - Maxim Kehlenbrink: Too much self-centered attitude brings isolation. Result: loneliness, fear, anger, and a hammer to the skull.
V7: G044 - Mikki Swift: It takes 18 years to build a reputation and a minute to ruin it.
V7: G070 - Jessica Rennes: Despair is our chance to wrestle with water and fall through.
V7: G075 - Aditi Sharma: She can still scream that rebel yell, just as loud as it was in 2005.
[+] Home
V4: B042 - Brendan Wallace: History has a way of repeating itself for years to come.
Meanwhile...
v5 - Penny Huang: Good girls can make bad decisions.
v5 - Jasper Rourke: Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are, "what could have been".
v7 - Gaelan Meloy: And nothing matters.
v7 - Jordan Brankovich: Rethinking it all.
v7 - Kayden Brockman: Not done yet.
v7 - Ji-hyun Christensen: Just getting started.
[+] Remind Me Tomorrow
Destiny Martinez will live fast and die faster.
Aidan Winston is going to let you know you're not solving anything.
Lara Rodriguez thinks you should keep your opinion on her to yourself.
Peyton Hoffman isn't fond of the PC Police ruining everything.
Lindsey Sewall wants to make sure you drank water today you stupid bitch.
Luke Travers needs to have a code.
I'm hosting a SOTF!
SOTF: International
Applications Open Now!
GregTheAnti-Viking†

Tabi's momentary joy of finding someone had vanished rather quickly. No sooner had she latched herself onto him then she noticed that her feet were slowly lifting off of the sandy beach. She found herself unable to let go as the full strength of the blonde boy started to carry her too far over.

Time slowed for Tabi as she rolled over his body. She found that as she moved forward, her grip began to loosen from his shirt until it was no longer possible for her to do so. With a soft crunch, her body landed onto her bag, cushioning her fall as best it could, but still leaving herself sore.

She blinked for a moment and saw something being pointed at her, and a barrage of questions being asked, and she froze instantly, her sobs as silent as her body would allow her.

"I-I-I-I-I-" she stammered before sneezing, "I'm Ta-Tabi, Tabi Gw-Gweneth...Tabi Gweneth."

The tears began to flow again, it was the only reaction she could muster. The only person that she had found, was just looming over her, and she couldn't find a way out...

"I-I've just wandered around, I don't know where I am and I've been all alone and I'm just...I'm just..."

She heard her name and let out a small squeak, but didn't answer back. It sounded like Etain, but Tabi was too afraid to acknowledge him.

That was it for Tabi, whatever composure she had maintained over he body, it was gone, and she involuntarily found her self emptying her bladder.

"You aren't playing, are you?"

Her body began to sag into the sand, and her tears began to stop.

"Pla-playing...what on earth are ya talking about..." she began her breathing becoming faster, "Wh-what the heck is even going on here!"

Her face just fell to the left into a nearby sand dune.

I just want to go home...
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler GregTheAnti-Viking. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
MK Kilmarnock

Post by MK Kilmarnock »

Ivan glared down at the girl that had just tried to grab him. The fact of the matter was, now she was on the ground, he was in the position of power, and if he really had to... well, Ivan didn't actually want to think that far ahead. As it was, he glared down at her through his green-tinted glasses, awaiting her answer.

So, she was Tabi Gweneth. Ivan had heard that name a few times on the overhead announcements, and he'd also seen the face... hell, he'd probably seen and taken into account every individual face in Bayview, no matter if anybody else realized it or not. However, he hadn't associated the face with the name until now.

Whatever... that takes care of that for the time being, but I need to know what she's got on her...

Ivan continued his stare down at the poor girl, which was only made worse than usual by the higher vantage point, her prone position, and the fact that his eyes were completely obscured by the colored lenses. Yet, as he stared, she continued to blubber out nothing useful. Maybe... maybe she was actually relatively harmless. Ivan's mind scrambled a bit... he was nervous. He knew he was nervous, but he didn't want her knowing he was nervous. Her anxiety, however, was painfully clear. Given a few moments, he'd let her up. Maybe he'd frisk her to make sure it was safe, maybe-

"Tabi!"

Ivan's eyes widened and his head immediately turned to the voice, then back to Tabi. This was not good at all... who was this person with the incredibly annoying accent? He knew Tabi? In that case, this wasn't going to look good at al-

"What the..." he rumbled lowly, turning in a strafing manner so he could have Tabi in the bottom section of his vision while looking in the direction everybody was coming from. When he saw a second person approaching, this time a girl, his temper began to flare. What the hell... where were they all coming from? Was EVERYBODY about to flock to his secluded spot, when all he wanted... was to be left alone!?

"The FUCK do you want!?" He barked at the two, but at looking at the newer person, he seemed unsettled. The guy with the crazy accent didn't have any visible weapon, though the hand in the pocket was... nerve-wracking. He might've had a knife in there, or maybe a gun. What was worse, though, was that the girl definitely had a gun, and she was taking turns focusing it on him and the others.

Shit... shit, SHIT! Ivan's jaw locked into a scowl.

"No... I'm NOT playing the game. I just want to stay here, and be left. ALONE!" He nearly screamed the last bit, then quickly looked down to Tabi. The sight wasn't pretty... she seemed to be passed out, and there was a large wet spot over her crotch. How annoying... the girl literally pissed herself and fell asleep. Ivan looked back to the other two, holding his umbrella steady and pointed between the two.

"Go... just go!"
Yvaine†

Post by Yvaine† »

Oh, this was going to hell faster then he could react. Now that he was out here on the beach, this was starting to seem less and less like a lucky break. First Penguin over there was acting with a little more hostility then was probably reasonable. Of course, there was the fact, he was also standing over Tabi and she seemed to be less then 100%. Etain let his hand drop to his side as he looked the boy over. While he was a little shorter then Etain, the boy still looked like he could easily take him in a fight and that was enough to keep Etain out of swinging range. Still, it didn't look like he hurt Tabi, so maybe he didn't mean any harm. Either way, it would be best for everyone if Etain didn't stand around for longer then he had to. Grab Tabi and go, that was all. Judging by her state of mind, a friendly face would do her a world of good.

Of course, having a gun pointed at you had a way of reorganizing your goals. All eyes went to the girl with the gun, everyone except Tabi's of course. Etain's eyes narrowed as she approached, calling out her shaky and stuttering questions. There was something about her he didn't like. Of course, that was more about the was gun pointed at them. After all, they were all clearly unarmed outside an umbrella and Etain already went over how low the chances that it was secretly a gun were. Maybe she thought the girl passed out on the ground was part of some type of trap meant to lure in unwary students? It didn't matter, not really. Friendly or ulterior motives withstanding, Etain only wanted to see one person and the girl wasn't quite her.

"Ah, game, was it? I dinnae really tink this qualifies as ah game. Wit th killin' an' all, ya know? Not any game Ah know of, 'nyhow." Etain took one step toward Tabi before Mr. Penguin turned the umbrella toward him in turn. It occurred to Etain then that he couldn't be sure of the possibility that it wasn't a gun. Certainly not in this game. It also occurred to him that focusing on the imaginary threat of an umbrella gun wasn't as bright as focusing on the very real gun the girl held, and presently was pointing a them. "Now now, no need ta point tha' at me. Oi'll be mor'n happy to grab me friend there and leave ya to yer own devoices." Etain nodded at the woman standing away from the group with a tilt of his head. "O course, tha's assumin' she don' shoot us."

Taking another step, Etain gently guided the tip of the umbrella away from him and...somewhere else. As long as it wasn't staring him down, he didn't care. If he were on the other end, he'd have it pointed at the obvious threat. Of course, were it him, he'd try to find something that wasn't useless like an umbrella. "Like Oi said, Ah'll be takin' me friend and leavin' ya be, no need ta jab tha' ting at me." As quickly as was possible without hurting her, Etain knelt down and wound his arm around her shoulders before lifting her to her feet, while speaking as soothingly as possible in the event she was till jumpy. "Yer alrigh' Tabi, yer alrigh'. It's me, Etain, Oi'll get ya outta here."

Once they were both standing, he began to edge away from the other two. "Now, If'n ya dinnea moind, we'll jus' be headin' off. No need ta follow or notin, just, we'll go our own way, aye?"
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the former handler Yvaine.
Brackie

Post by Brackie »

So Clio finally got her bearings: there was her, the silent tennis player, a crying little girl, who, by the looks of it had just wet herself and passed out on the sand, making Clio scowl in disgust, and...a guy with an EXTREMELY annoying voice.

First thing was first though.

"No... I'm NOT playing the game. I just want to stay here, and be left. ALONE!"

"Okay then. You're not playing? Well, first thing's first".

Before she could continue, the boy, who's name she could not remember for the life of her, started to ramble on. Before her eyes, he went in, scooped the girl up and tried to carry her.

Clio looked at him lopsidedly, as though he was incredibly stupid?

If I have to put up with him for the duration of me pretending like I'm not going to blow their head off at any given moment...

"Are you an IDIOT or something? I-HAVE-A-GUN-POIN-TED-AT-YOUR-HEAD! YOU are not going anywhere! And neither is little miss PRESCHOOL GIRL there!" Clio insisted upon keeping her hosts entertained.

Clio readjusted her aim, with Ivan in her sights. Oh, this would be good! He wanted her to go! That probably meant he would do anything to get rid of her!

"Okay, you, Ivan, drop the umbrella, and I'll...wait, I'm the girl with the gun, so I decided I'm giving out conditions with nothing in it for you. You'll be lucky to say tommorow that nobody killed you today. Second, you, annoying guy who's name I can't remember at the moment..."

Clio took a quick glance at the guy, girl around her shoulders and about to get a little less brainy if she thought it wise.

"You, and her, are going to stay put until I figure out what to do with you lot."

A smile flickered ever so briefly across her face.

"Because though you aren't playing....I am. Be nice to me and I might just not kill you."

Clio did not like the fact she was making demands she couldn't follow up on. Not wouldn't, but physically couldn't. If this ended well it would be a miracle.

Well, if it ended well for her, anyway.
[+] The Island
V4: G069 - Clio Gabriella: Hold me closer, tiny dancer; count the headlights on the highway to hell.
V4: G083 - Paige Strand: Feelings don't try to hurt you, even the painful ones. You're responsible for all of the damn consequences.
V4: B118 - Jacob Charles: Every grieving heart has screamed at one time or another 'why can't you just let me die?'
V4: B108 - Ma'afu Tuigamala: Most men would rather forget a hard truth than face it.
V5: G015 - Janie Sinneave: Every human being must find her own way to cope with the impossible, and the only job of a true friend is to facilitate whatever method she doesn't choose.
V6: B018 - Maxim Kehlenbrink: Too much self-centered attitude brings isolation. Result: loneliness, fear, anger, and a hammer to the skull.
V7: G044 - Mikki Swift: It takes 18 years to build a reputation and a minute to ruin it.
V7: G070 - Jessica Rennes: Despair is our chance to wrestle with water and fall through.
V7: G075 - Aditi Sharma: She can still scream that rebel yell, just as loud as it was in 2005.
[+] Home
V4: B042 - Brendan Wallace: History has a way of repeating itself for years to come.
Meanwhile...
v5 - Jasper Rourke: Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are, "what could have been".
[+] Remind Me Tomorrow
I'm hosting a SOTF!
Applications Open Now!
GregTheAnti-Viking†

The world had gone black for a moment for Tabitha Gweneth. When she next woke up, she felt herself being lifted by someone, there was an initial wave of panic as she was unable to discern the person who was holding her up. She squirmed initially in an attempt to break free from whoever it was that was grabbing her, but she heard a soothing voice calling out to her, her head was still clouded and she couldn't quite understand what was being said, but the voice calmed her.

She relaxed and let whoever it was that was speaking to her pull her up. She turned her head behind her and saw the smiling face of Etain Brennan, the boy who she had shared many a jam session at the local skate-park. He was a nice guy and a good friend, and she was relieved to see him here.

She was quickly snapped back into reality however when she heard a loud shout that caused her to turn her head. Tabi saw now that the man in the green tinted glasses had pointed an umbrella towards a woman standing out near the foliage. She sucked in a sharp breath when she saw that she was holding a gun and pointing it at all of them.

"Because though you aren't playing...I am. Be nice to me and I might just not kill you."

Tabi gasped and instinctively jumped behind the man that was pointing the umbrella out towards the woman. She tried to hide behind the man that was an inch shorter than she was as best she could and just hoped that she could be protected by the man she was shielded by. She still didn't know what she was referring to by playing, but the fact that she had a gun, and wanted to kill her, made her begin to panic once again.
MK Kilmarnock

Post by MK Kilmarnock »

((GMing performed with permission from Yvaine. I had a bit of trouble working with this situation, so sorry, guys. Had to place it all in order.))

Ivan's eyes, while barely visible from Etain's viewpoint and just about completely hidden at Clio's distance, had narrowed. As Louis would've been keen to point out, this facial tic generally only made itself known when Ivan was angry, in deep thought, or scared. As this situation would have it, Ivan just happened to be all three. Clio was speaking a rough game, which would normally be laughable coming from such a small girl, but the gun in her hand said that she could speak just about any game she wanted. It was this one factor that kept Ivan still long enough for Etain to push his umbrella aside and lean down to pick Tabi up.

Ivan peered down, completely incredulous. Was this kid for real? He was telling them to back off, and here Etain was, having a set of iron tennis balls hanging low enough to get within kneeing range in order to lift the soiled, broken girl at Ivan's feet. The grip that his left hand, the dominant one, had on his umbrella tightened as he looked between both Etain and Clio. The boy was just annoying, and frankly, Ivan wanted to knock his damned head off for such a ballsy move. The girl, however, she could be complicated.

"Okay, you, Ivan, drop the umbrella, and I'll...wait, I'm the girl with the gun, so I decided I'm giving out conditions with nothing in it for you. You'll be lucky to say tommorow that nobody killed you today. Second, you, annoying guy who's name I can't remember at the moment..."
Ivan wasn't liking where this was going, but he did get a few things out of what the girl had just said. First, and worst, she wanted him to drop his umbrella. He could both hear and feel one of his knuckles crack when she requested that of him, and his heartbeat picked up a little. As far as visible cues went, his tongue flicked out of his mouth for a bit, resetting itself as he swallowed the lump in his throat. Second, she knew his name. At first, he couldn't really tie a face to her name, nor did he care all that much before, but this was a detail that could be pretty important in a few moments.
Where have I... Clio? I'll try Clio, hope she responds to that-

Ivan's thoughts were interrupted by Clio's announcement that, to his disgust (and not so much his surprise, by this point), that she intended to play the game. He opened his mouth to say something, but somebody else had decided to make a move first. Against all expectations, that person was... Tabi. Ivan could feel his nerves go into overdrive as the girl had struggled from Etain's arms and dashed behind... him? From her momentum, Etain had stumbled forward, towards Ivan.

From that moment, Ivan got a little lost in the moment.

His base instincts saw a little chance to get some revenge for such a blatant invasion of Ivan's personal space earlier. Without even thinking about it, Ivan's left thumb hit the switch on the umbrella, causing it to burst open and partially obscure his form to both Clio and Etain. Then, with a jerking of his body, he raised his left arm up, taking the umbrella with it into a position above his and Tabi's heads, where you would expect it to be if it were raining. However, by the time that the umbrella was no longer between Etain and Ivan, Ivan's right fist was halfway through a set crash-course with Etain's jaw.

The connection was made with a resounding, satisfying 'smack'. Ivan wasn't sure just how far the uppercut would send Etain reeling, but he knew that it had enough force behind it to where he had to place his right foot in front of his leaning body to steady himself, to where he then straightened back, feeling Tabi behind him. For a moment, Ivan felt that Etain was lucky that it was his right hand, and not his left.

That moment quickly passed when he had realized Clio was still pointing the gun at him, and was probably not all that impressed at what he had just done. The fear pounding straight through Ivan was powerful enough to reach all the way to his face and, for the first time, his countenance didn't hold an ambiguous mix of anger, irritation and fear. It was all pure, unalduterated terror as Ivan believed he was moments away from being shot. In such a situation, he did the most logical thing.

He scrambed to get behind Tabi, reaching around her with his right arm, his left still holding the open umbrella in front of them. If Clio shot at him, there was a chance that Ivan could still get out of this. All he could hope was that she wouldn't fire on him for any reason: whether it being the gun didn't work, it was out of ammo, or maybe, just maybe, she was just as scared as Ivan was.
Yvaine†

Post by Yvaine† »

It would seem that the girl with the gun didn't approve of his 'heroics' which wasn't much of a surprise. He didn't really expect to get away that easy anyhow. No, because that would be too simple and straight-forward, and it wasn't like he was trying to find his best friend before she shot someone else. So, really, no rush. At least Tabi was awake. That was a step in the right direction. After all, he was the only reason he'd stepped out onto the beach and it would be a dreadful waste of time for everyone involved if he had to leave without her. Also bad because, you know, friend and all. A number of things, really.

Naturally, the gun pointed at them complicated things. The girl wielding it seemed sort of familiar, but not enough so that he could actually remember her name. Leah? Something short. It was probably irrelevant, as he doubted he could talk his way out of this. Probably the best he could do was play along and hope she didn't shoot them anyway. Well, if she didn't shoot them, she'd certainly rob them. After all, she wasn't going to risk a potential fight if she wasn't going to get something out of this.

Still, he figured the surprise in his bag might...deter her from taking it. Even if she did, he still had the bag he tok from Kris hidden in the trees. Honestly, his foresight surprised even him, because that's obviously why he took it. Obviously. Still, if he was robbed, at least he'd found Tabi. It was a sure thing that she'd tag along, even if he wasn't going to find Kris. Maybe she'd seen her on her mad spring out of the swamp and across the island? Doubtful, he knew, but he may as well ask. After the girl with the gun was gone, clearly. It might have gone without saying, but he'd been pretty reckless before so better to leave nothing to doubt.

As Tabi did return to the world of the conscious, she took the most recent developments with a bit of a shock. Her sudden dash forward took him completely by surprise, and there was little he could do but take a stumbling step after her before she did something crazy. See, In Etain's mind, Tabi was in shock still, and as such, liable to make a rash action. Like, say make a run on...Clia?

Of course, Penguin seemed to have thoughts on that subject too. Any forward motion on Etain's part was suspended with the opening of the umbrella in what could be called at the least an unexpected move. He had a faint sense of movement behind the cover of the umbrella as he tried to stop before running straight into the cover. Of course, when the umbrella shifted upwards, that ceased being an issue. Penguin's fist came out of nowhere and for a second Etain was sure he had to be seeing things. After all, they both had a gun pointed at them, no way he'd be stupid enough to-

Etain saw stars as he stumbled backward, his vision blurring and the world seeming to shift. Eventually, he feet lost traction on the sand and he found himself falling on his ass. For a few seconds, he was stunned between the combination of pain and surprise. Not only did he actually punch him, he damn near broke his jaw! What did he do to warrant that?! For a minute, Etain totally forgot about the woman with the gun (Clio?) and his focus turned entirely toward the boy who hit him. "What tha hell was tha' for?!" He shouted, one hand braced behind him, the other rubbing his sore jaw. "That how ya treat ev'ryone who tries ta do what ya ask?" Gingerly, Etain climbed to hit feet and stabbed a finger in the other boys direction while making sure he was out of range this time. "Nice foockin' sense of priorities, ya damn idgit! Or did ya ferget abou' the gun pointed at us? Maybe ya should worry 'bout tha' first, aye?"

Fuming, Etain turned back towards the girl and belatedly realized he'd made the mistake of forgetting all about her, albeit briefly and not in as extreme a manner as Penguin. "Ya want ta shoot someone, do ya? Shoot tha' idiot with the bad judgment..." Etain mumbled to himself, folding his arms across his chest while trying not to think how sore his jaw was going to be if they made it out of here.
Brackie

Post by Brackie »

Clio was still trying to watch the scene unfold in front of her, trying to decided whether these people were extremely stupid or just plain stupid. Despite the gun weilded at them, they seemed to think they actually had the right of free movement. Before she realised it, the umbrella was sprung, and the boy with the annoying voice was clocked in the chin.

Tired of the lack of attention that a killer was SUPPOSED to be recieving, she aimed her gun in the air, and, using her left finger on her right finger, fired into the air.

The familiar feeling of glass came again, and it was all Clio could do to stop herself from throwing the gun away in pain and trying to chop off her fingers. But...they seemed to have got the idea.

"OKAY! NOW THAT I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION AGAIN, YOU WILL ACTUALLY LISTEN TO ME, BECAUSE I! AM! TALKING!"

Clio was mighty peeved over the fact that, even though she was capable of murder, no one seemed to want to pay attention to her. Aiming her gun again, with a certain image in mind, she started to bellow again.

"Okay! So YOU-" Clio aimed her gun at Ivan "ARE GOING TO DROP THE UMBRELLA! OKAY? GOOD! AND YOU-" Clio aimed at Etain "ARE GOING TO HAND OVER YOUR BAG, AND YOU-" Clio aimed at Gabi "ARE GOING TO HAND OVER YOUR BAG AS WELL!"

Stopping to catch her breathe, Clio tightened the grip on the gun.

"We clear now? I feel like you people don't feel like dying today, am I right?"
[+] The Island
[+] Home
Meanwhile...
[+] Remind Me Tomorrow
I'm hosting a SOTF!
Applications Open Now!
GregTheAnti-Viking†

If she could see into the future, Tabi Gweneth would have said something. Instead she could only watch as Etain was punched square in the jaw. She didn't scream, she had no time. In a matter of seconds she found that Ivan was hiding behind her now. Which meant that she was now staring straight at the gun.

The world had become a little smaller for Tabi Gweneth. She could hear shouting, but she couldn't hear words. Beads of sweat moved gingerly down her mud caked face. All that she could see before her now, was the gun. She wanted to move away from here, she wanted to move, but her body had now frozen.

Her eyes darted back and forth, watching the gun move down, and then back up into the sky.

Bang

She had been to the occasional concert a few times in her life. At the end of the day she might have a little trouble hearing due to the excessive volume of the bands, or the blaring sounds from the DJ, but never in her life had she been deafened so much when that gun sounded off.

Her body, began to tense up. And while her ears continued to ring, sounds began to eek back into her brain.

She could only watch as the gun moved from the man behind him, to Etain and then-

"AND YOU...ARE GOING TO HAND OVER YOUR BAG AS WELL!"

Her eyes looked up to the woman with the gun. There was something in them, an intensity that sent shivers down her spine. She was serious, she was going to fire her gun at them, if she didn't give up the bag on her back...

Her body wouldn't move though, something was making her stay there, a gun was pointed at her.

And all she could do was bite her lip...
MK Kilmarnock

Post by MK Kilmarnock »

Tabi's anxiety and writhing were both all too apparent for Ivan as he gripped onto Tabi, the umbrella in his hand still outstretched. He wasn't sure why he had done what he just did, beyond the simple fact that he just wanted Etain and Clio to get lost, and leave him be. Even Tabi not being there would be a plus, but it seemed he was stuck with her, using her as some demented combination between a gambling chip and a meat shield in order to affirm his survival. And for what? So he could waste away, have his neck blown out, or be killed by somebody on this island completely forsaken by anything resembling a god. Just as sure as the twinge of pain in the knuckles of his right hand, what he had done had not worked. If anything, it actually made the situation worse.

Etain mumbled something in retaliation with that stupid accent of his once more. Well, Ivan had expected that he wasn't going to like it. Few people actually liked being punched in the face, and those who did were the sort that tended to worry the more conversative-minded Russian. Yet, even in the face of death, even he couldn't resist a quick verbal snap to Etain's neck, even if it was only in his mind. What did I do that for? Maybe because you're an unintelligable prick who's good at nothing except getting in my w-

A loud noise slammed through Ivan's eardrums. 'Loud' was a generously nice way of putting it, as well as horrendously understating. The gun in Clio's hands didn't appear to be all that large, probably wasn't any bigger than whatever it was that the police used, and yet it created a noise that tore through the air akin to thunder. Ivan flinched from his position of being tucked behind Tabi, his arm tightening around her, his grip lying just below her neck, below her collar. So Clio's gun was definitely loaded and primed, if there were any doubts about that. Ivan hadn't been banking on that gun being inactive, but now it was confirmed in the most startling of ways that, if Clio saw it fit, any one of them could be dead. His heartrate picked up a little, his mind racing as Clio continued to give her selfish demands.

But what was...

-------------------------------
"Ivan!"

The sharp, shrill voice of his mother could punch Ivan into full alertness, even from the opposite side of the court. He shook himself out of the fatigue that was setting in; he couldn't allow himself to fall to that. Without a word, for all of his air had been taken by his panting, Ivan looked up from his feet to see his mother. Her face was hard to make out at this distance, but her body language, her stance said everything he needed to know.

"You're watching my racket too much! You need to watch all of your opponent. You hear me? All of it! Return these next few shots, or we're doing the footfire again!"

Ivan grunted a response the best he could manage with his strained lungs, and straightened his back. Watch the whole person, figure out what they're going to do next...
------------------------------

Ivan had noticed it. Maybe not at first, but now he was realizing what was wrong with this picture. Something about Clio's face when she fired that gun, it told him... fright? Pain? He couldn't pick it out, but there was some sort of agony tied to her firing that weapon. It was the smallest of things to pick on, but he also realized that it was the harbinger of the only factor that might let him make it out of this situation alive.

... Thank you, mom...

Ivan leaned his head closer to Tabi's, until his mouth was right under her ear. He whispered something very slight, almost a breath. It was all that needed to be said and nothing more as Ivan made the most difficult movements of his entire life thus far.

"When I let go, run into the woods. I'll catch up."

His left hand snapped forward, thrusting the opened umbrella up towards Clio's face. The tense, white-knuckle grip on the handle was released, sending the implement towards the girl who threatened to end all of Ivan's plans, as short-term as they may have been. Releasing Tabi from his grip and pushing off her shoulder in order to aid acceleration, Ivan ran right for the girl with the gun. This had to work, it had to, or he was dead. Dead sooner than he wanted to be, before he could be sure that death was near, and he could say his goodbyes to Louis, and to the rest of his family. Before that time, he was not dying. He simply would not allow it.

Ivan had something special to give to Clio. Etain had gotten the right hand, his non-dominant arm. He didn't have a gun pointed at Ivan. Piling all of his pent up frustration and anger from being bothered, from the fear of dying alone, from having his life being taken from him, from being threatened, from this whole. Damn. FUCKING. GAME. All of that went to Ivan's stronger, dominant left arm as he lunged at Clio to try and take her down.

Or die trying.

Return to “The Woods: Coastal”