Let's Get Physical!

The gym, despite its name, is actually two halls of differing size, divided by a wall with a window. One half is a flat matted area, set aside to give the school's wrestling, cheerleading, and gymnastics teams a practice space of their own, while the other half is a more traditional gym featuring exercise machines such as treadmills, rowing machines, exercise bikes, and other equipment. The students are allowed to use the gym's exercise facilities outside of school hours, but they are required to sign in and out. Anyone found to be misusing the equipment provided will be banned for a two-week period, although these bans can escalate to semester length or become indefinite should the behavior continue.
Ruggahissy

Let's Get Physical!

Post by Ruggahissy »

Jonah walked towards the gym whistling along to the music playing out of his Ipod. He stopped at the door and peered inside. Empty. Good.

He continued whistling and walking, dropping his backpack by a treadmill. Jonah reached up and leaned his body to the left, curving his arm to the left as well, before repeating with a lean to the right. He bent down and just barely touched his sneakers with his fingertips, holding for a few seconds before jumping up again and reaching towards the ceiling.

"I'm sayin' all the things I know you'll like, making good conversation, I know how to handle you just right, you know what I mean?" he whisper-sang as he stretched.

He was dressed in a pair of black knee-length exercise shorts and a faded gray t-shirt with the sleeves cut off. He also had a blue and while polka-dotted headband he wore to keep sweat out of his eyes that some of the guys on the baseball team didn't seem to appreciate.

Having stretched out he took a spot at a butterfly workout machine and set the weights. Jonah sat and started pressing the two arms of the machine inward towards his chest but found he was struggling a bit. He signed and stopped for a moment. It was his goal weight, but he was having trouble still getting back up to where he was a few months ago.

The music kept pumping. There was no one around to see him struggle.

"Let me hear your body talk, let's get physical, I wanna get phyyyyyssiicaaaal," he sang a little louder, secure in the knowledge that no one was around to hear him. Determined, he started up again.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

((Katrina Lavell continued from Touched for the very first time))

Katrina looked at herself in the locker room mirror. She flipped her hair a bit off her should and stuck her lips out a bit. She had managed to make it through the day with her hair properly wavy and bouncy, and now she was ready for her next objective: getting a good workout. She didn't have dance team or choir today, but that didn't mean she couldn't get a proper workout in. Pop stars had to stay on top of their health, after all. It takes 25 years to get into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, so she'd have to live as long as possible after her proper debut to be inducted.

Katrina stretched a bit. She had done some shopping for her workouts this month and had managed to find a fuchsia leotard that looked a lot like the one Madonna wore in the "Hung Up" music video. She even had a similarly-colored wrap and belt to go with the look. To her surprise, she looked a lot cuter than she expected. She thought that 80's jazzercise look wouldn't translate to her 2018 aesthetic, but it showed off her body well, so she came to like it. Maybe fuchsia was her color, or maybe she really was getting into the Madge mindset. Now she just needed to go tackle this workout session with as much confidence and panache as Ms. Ciccone and she would probably be better off for it in the long run. Somehow.

"Time goes by...so slowly," she sang to herself as she stepped towards the exit of the locker room. "Time goes by...so slowly."

As she left the locker room, she could hear a song that clashed with her own. There was a boy on one of the weigh machines singing an Olivia Newton-John classic. Katrina bobbed a bit as she walked closer. She loved Liv N.J. (as she called her in her mind), and while she hadn't studied her as extensively, it was still fun to go along with "Physical."

However, she wasn't going to let the guy with the earbuds show he was the best person at the GHHS gym to sing "Physical." That's when she decided to join in, and do some dance steps as she walked by.

"Let's get physical! Physical!" she sang aloud as she picked up her pace. "I want to get physical! Let's get into physical! Let me hear your body talk, your body talk! Let me hear your body talk!"
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

Jonah saw something in his peripheral vision and turned to see Katrina in her bright magenta outfit mouthing the same words he was singing. His eyes went wide and his strength failed him finally. The arms of the machine went all the way back, forcing his chest out and the weights clanked loudly, which startled him even more.

"H-hi" he said as a loud exhaled breath, taking out one of his earbuds.

He realized at that point that she'd heard him singing out loud to the song and his face flushed a bit, though he may have been able to pass the color off as a result of his workout.

"You caught me," he said, grimace-smiling and scratching the back of his neck.

Jonah put his hands on his knees and hunched a bit, still looking her. The truth was that it was probably better for him to be taking a break anyhow.

"Was I bugging you?" he asked, apologetically.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Katrina had to giggle to herself when Jonah suddenly and bashfully realized she was there and heard his singing. He then asked her if he was bugging her.

"Nah," she said as she reached the mats. "I'm down for Olivia Newton-John, so I can gladly welcome any chance to sing her work."

Katrina started to stretch a bit, clasping her hands behind her back and bending over.

"Plus, I only just got here," she said before straightening her back. "It's too soon for me to get annoyed, ya know?"

Katrina began to spin her right arm around like a windmill. "Hung Up" was still in her head, but she welcomed any good pop music Jonah could bring into her workout.
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

Jonah stood from the machine and his body sagged a bit from over-exertion. He blinked hard and took a deep breath which straightened him out to his full stature and watched Katrina, bemused. She moved and talked so quickly, like a whirlwind of sound and color.

He blinked as she started spinning her arm around while seeming to tap out a beat with her foot. Jonah remembered her somewhat as one of the performer kids, those kids who were always in the plays and talent shows and doing things like that. He'd never been particularly adept at singing, dancing or acting, but admired the courage of people who were willing to put themselves out there like that.

"Yeah, I see."

He tilted his head slightly to the side and smiled, hiding the expression partially with two fingers from his right hand.

"I was just doing some weights," he said, rotating his arm much, much slower than hers.

He motioned to a small stereo system in the corner of the gym with a cord to plug in portable music devices as well as input CDs.

"It seems like we both like 80's pop. What kind of work out were you planning on doing?"
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

After spinning her arms a few times, Katrina crouched down and sat on the mat. She spread her legs and bent them, making a zig-zag shape. She began to stretch her lower back and kept her eyes on the mirrors facing Jonah. He looked like someone who shared mutual kinship and an appreciation for 80's pop. Katrina moves her legs in a V-shape in front of her and bent forward, pressing her chin to the mat.

"Just doing some stretches and then probably gonna do some dance workout stuff," she told Jonah, continuing to press down.

She then bent back up and got to her feet.

"It's good for cardio and strength," Katrina told him.

Katrina then began to pirouette in place.

"Hey, what CD's do they have by the stereo?," she asked Jonah. "If there's anything upbeat and pop-y, feel free to pop it in. That'd probably be the best for what I have in mind."

She stopped spinning and slowed her movements, slowly turning for the mirror. Her body looked really good in this leotard, and she was sure she'd be able to jam to something for this workout. Katrina just hoped Jonah had as good a taste in pop as she hoped.
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

"Mmm," he nodded, watching her stretch. Jonah bit his lip and clenched his hands together behind his back. He's pushed himself too far and he could feel it now. He wasn't going to bother Katrina with that though.

She got up and spun around and was surprised. He wished to himself that he could have this girl's energy.

Jonah turned and walked to the stereo as soon as she inquired about the music selection that was available by default in the student gym. There were a few ancient looking jewel cases by the stereo system with countless scratches on the dull plastic. He ran his hand through the side of his hair and his fingers twitched a bit. He still wasn't used to this new hair style.

It was partially the result of trying to fix a botched at-home bleach job and the stylist had said it was "on-trend" whatever that meant. The resulting undercut with the mellow blue on top was the result of trying to salvage the disaster bleaching. He'd since gotten some flack from some of his friends for the style, a departure from his former dark waves, but he'd also gotten a few compliments from people who he didn't usually talk to much.

He looked at each case, turned them over and looked over the track listing.

"Ah, well....it looks like they've got 'Now That's What I Call Music!' 6 and 7, Jock Jams 2 and 'The Best of Earth Wind and Fire Vol. 1."

Jonah brought the four CDs over to Katrina in case she wanted to look at what songs were in the compilation albums.

"I'm really not sure about most of these. Whatever you want?" he said cheerfully, trying to cover his lack of familiarity with the music.
Espi

Post by Espi »

((Toby Underwood continued from The Glorious Evolution))

The singing was a weird greeting for Toby when he got to the gym. From his experience, working out was a bad time to be singing, given the need for your lungs to be doing stuff. Also most people who came to the gym weren't diehard musicians, but he was less confident on that front.

It was raining a little outside and Toby was not into that, but he needed to keep up his stamina so he stopped by pretty regularly. The faint sound of singing from inside made him pause for a moment, but he went in anyway. Wasn't like there were gunshots or something, sheesh.

"Hey guys." Toby said as he closed the door behind him. There was Katrina, which explained the singing since she was all over that. He didn't peg her for a gym girl, but hey, it's a good habit for anyone to get into.

Jonah was also here, which was a pleasant surprise. Jonah was probably the nicest person Toby had ever met, or like, top three-to-five, easy. Toby knew the guy had been sick real bad for a while, and he was still all Mother Theresa-ing for people. That took some dedicated good. Not to sound too gay or anything. Toby didn't like him like that, obviously. He could say nice things about a guy and still be straight. Masculinity was overrated, sheesh.

Anyway. "You guys having fun?" Toby gave a grin and moved over towards the treadmill. Elliptical was good too but long-distance running meant weights were pointless. He began to set the machine before turning back to the others, who were looking at the ancient stereo and some CDs. "Got some workout beats you're looking for?"
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

"Yeah, let me check," Katrina said, taking the CDs from Jonah.

As she did, Toby Underwood walked in. Katrina gave him a curt nod before looking at the CDs again. She didn't know him that well, and they didn't travel in many of the same circles. But he wasn't a bad guy; he just wasn't her concern right now. The gym's outdated CD selection was.

She didn't really know Earth, Wind & Fire, so she could toss that one aside. "Jock Jams 2" had a lot of artists she didn't know that well, nor did it have anything recognizable. She wasn't even sure anyone in the school remembered Black Box or Amber.

The "Now" series was more likely to have something she'd know from looking at early 2000's pop. She grabbed the sixth one, and the moment she saw the first track listing, she knew what she was doing. A grin slowly grew on her face as she looked around the room. There was a metal chair against the wall. She knew there were penalties for abusing the furniture and equipment, but a metal chair like that had to be strong enough for her.

"I know exactly what we're listening to," she declared.

She quickly hurried over to the CD player and placed the stack of CDs down. She popped the sixth "Now" CD in and set the first song to play. She then quickly ran back and grabbed the chair off the wall, plopping it on the mats as the first few notes of the song played.

"I can do this whole routine!" she announced to the boys. "It'll be great for a workout."

As the "ooo-hey-eee-yeah" played out, Katrina got into position on the chair. This wasn't Madonna, and she may have just finished her Britney phase over the Christmas break, but Britney was basically next-gen Madonna, and Madonna shoved her tongue in Britney's mouth for approval, so she could accept it.

Plus, her hair was down, which would be great for hairography.

Katrina turned the chair around and sat backwards, leaning her body over the back of the chair. She moved one hand through her hair and stood up, keeping her legs spread over the chair

"Hearts just stop!" Katrina sang with the song, moving her hands through her hair before jumping onto the chair, pausing with the beat.

"There's nothing you can do or say! Baby!" she continued, stepping off the chair and sitting back down on it.

It had taken her a few days to get the chair dance choreography down for "Stronger," and dammit, she was going to show it off. Plus, it would definitely be good cardio. She just had to hope the boys got the reference. That would be embarrassing otherwise.
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

Toby came in while Katrina was looking over the music selection that was proved by the school. Jonah had been looking down at her until Toby entered and announced his arrival with a greeting. Jonah looked up and smiled, leaving Katrina to pour over the couple of CDs while he spoke to the newcomer.

Toby walked over next to the treadmill which made sense given his sport of choice was track. Jonah put his hands in his pockets and ambled over with his shoulders high while looking at his shoes.

"Hey," he returned, looking up and stretching his arms over his head. "Yeah, she's looking for music," he said lightly. Jonah ruffled Toby's already ruffle-prone hair. "You should bring some of your veggies to the restaurant some time. We'll pay you or just maybe make something," he offered.

Katrina was up and moving again. She put in the CD and took her place in the middle of the open area with a chair. Jonah vaguely remembered the start of the music video that accompanied this song and that it had a chair in it, but didn't remember much else. It was his guess that she was recreating the choreography.

Jonah looked at Toby and bobbed his head in time to the music, looking slightly confused. He looked at Katrina and began clapping in time to the music, hoping that was encouraging. After all, it took some guts to do a Britney Spears chair routine and he didn't want her to think his unfamiliarity meant she was doing a bad job
Espi

Post by Espi »

Toby made a sound in between a laugh and...a groan, maybe? He wasn't really against people touching his hair or anything--he was used to it honestly--but apparently Jonah took that as an invitation. Meh, he didn't really mind.

Grinning and running his own hand through his hair, Toby took a moment to actually parse the suggestion, and he was all for it. "Yeah, dude. 'Locally-grown organic'-" he represented this with finger quotes "-that's a big selling point right?"

He smirked. "Of course I expect top dollar for my premium goods." Toby rolled his eyes and looked back over at Katrina, who was...moving a chair? Was this some kind of...yoga?

Oh, no she was just dancing. That was unexpected.  Toby watched, slightly bemused. She was good, yeah, Toby couldn't do any of that crap himself so it was impressive to watch. And dancing was supposed to be good cardio, since people had told him to try it in his own workouts. He didn't want to, but the theory held.

He looked over at Jonah, who was also watching because why wouldn't he be? "Is this the part where we yell 'yeah, work it, girl'? Or is that something else?" He asked in deadpan.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Katrina continued to do the chair dance from the "Stronger" music video, trying to match her own vocals to the CD's. It had been somewhat challenging to learn the dance exactly. Fortunately for her, she realized that Britney basically just spun around a lot and flipped her hair as well. The chair was flung around a bit as well, so really, as long as Katrina had enough room, she could do it perfectly.

She had just reached the chorus of the song, not even paying attention to if Jonah and Toby were really watching, and moved into it. This part had a few dips, a few waves of her hand in front of her groin, and would then require her to shove the chair aside and move like she was making love to the floor. Katrina had wondered how weird this would look, but then realized she didn't care. She was living for this moment, like she was Britney dressed as Madonna in Tennessee.

"Okay, get ready for this next part!" Katrina shouted.

The second chorus was about to start, and this was where Britney went full speed ahead, and so would she.
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

Jonah shrugged in response to Toby's question. He didn't know that it was ever the right time to yell at a girl to "work it."

Reflecting, he couldn't say that this is what he expected from the gym when he first set out with his workout gear. The whole ordeal had sort of sidetracked him from his exercise, but in truth it might have been for the best since Jonah was determined to do more than was strictly recommended for him.

It was a good performance, he thought, even though he didn't know an awful lot about Britney Spears or about this sort of dancing. He felt like he wanted to be encouraging, but still respectful.

Jonah let out a single "Woo!" and clapped to the music, having decided that both were the right level of encouraging.
Espi

Post by Espi »

Toby chuckled. Sometimes his sense of humor was lost on Jonah.

This wasn't what he'd intended to spend the afternoon doing, but it wasn't bad or anything. She was actually pretty damn good at the dancing thing, and wasn't so bad to look at either. Did she have a boyfriend? Hmm, she was cute and kinda his type but she was a little too bubbly, and seemed like one of those girls who was exhausting to date.

Toby turned back for a moment to start up the machine, but stopped and returned his attention when Jonah started cheering more. It was probably rude to not watch and trying to spectate while on a treadmill was a good way to hurt yourself. Like an idiot. Which Toby was not.

Leaning back gently against the frame of the machine, Toby added his own rhythmic clap, albeit a little quieter. He was kind of into it though, it was some nice footwork...or legwork? General limb-work? Whatever. She was a good dancer, regardless of whatever part of her anatomy he should attribute the activity for.

She had nice legs, though. There was that.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Katrina would have liked to keep dancing to "Stronger." She would have liked to keep up her impromptu performance. She would have liked to keep dazzling these boys with her ability to mimic Britney Spears. However, Katrina was supposed to be Madonna right now, not Britney. Madonna had good dance moves, but it was also probable she was supposed to stick to one and not the other. That would explain why she was suddenly tripping and falling to the mat.

Katrina had prepared herself for the next part of the song. She moved to the chair, but fell out of step. She moved her hands forward to grab the chair, but it also moved forward with her. The mat probably wasn't that helpful with traction, and so Katrina found herself falling to the ground.

She let out a small cry as the chair moved forward and fell over. She wasn't hurt, but she was quite thrown off. Now the song continued to play, making Katrina find the situation even more ironic.

"Okay, guess I'm done," she told the guys as she laid on the mat.

Return to “Gym”