Gypsy Rap

The area was once green and wooded, however this portion of the island has since been logged through and the damage is plain to see. Large unkempt logs are scattered across the clear-cut area, caught amongst the endless stumps and what sparse foliage is available, which provides little cover. The area is silent, with little to no noise to be heard, creating an eerie sense of isolation.
Brackie

Gypsy Rap

Post by Brackie »

((Co-written with selphie and Zabriel))

Trinity Catholic College - Lismore: 4 days after abduction on SOTF

~*~

To say that Ryan Hunter's life was becoming rather hectic would have been the understatement of the bloody century. Here he was, 17 going on 18, taking the largest amount of classes in the year, and he was still expected to have a social life by his parents. Not that he had any objections, mind you, but if he had to stay home to finish an assignment, his parents would have none of it. They'd rather have him out and about with friends, than making a fuss over a project that was only going to affect the next 6 months of his life anyway.

Standing outside his Legal Studies classroom, he smiled as the rest of the class started to arrive: James Gatt, Holly Hershenroder, Sophie Boyle, Melanie Teninga, Hannah Hughes, Isabel McDonough, Natasha McGuiness, Gabrielle Wood, and last but not least Jason Powell, the guy who insisted on keeping the subject for the HSC year despite the fact that he was probably the worst possible student in the entire school. He said 'hi' to each of them as they arrived, striking up a small conversation with some of the ones he knew better, making sure to avoid Jason's pathetic attempt at socializing (honestly, Ryan himself had a better social life than him).

Mr. Mulroy arrived soon after, right as the second bell chimed throughout the school, with folders full of paper in his right arm and a mug in the other hand. He was probably the best teacher at the school, in all of their opinions; when he got mad, he got furious, but any other time, he was a delight to speak to.

They filed into class, taking one of the many eclectically placed seats around the classroom to get the best place for his voice. Ryan took the front seat, just to the right, while Isabel sat next to him; James sat next to her, and...the end seat was bare.

Brendan used to sit there, the best seat in the house (mostly because it was the seat that got a swivel chair every so often). He went to America about a year ago, and no one had ever really tried to fill his place. Jason tried, but everyone just ignored him if he did; no matter what they knew of Brendan, he was infinitely better than Jason Powell would ever be.

Ryan brought his laptop case up to the desk, took out his shining new Toshiba laptop he'd only bought the weekend previously. He got it at a bargain on Dstore.com, and he was laughing all the way to the bank: it looked old, it operated old, but that was because, well, he didn't really need anything else that was on the market. This thing could run any program almost as fast as a super computer, and all he had to do was keep the non-vital programs on a portable HDD. That simple, really.

Switching it on, he used the time that Jason spent talking to the teacher, trying to avoid doing any work, to check his emails.

An invite to a Neopets gath-DELETE. He'd given up Neopets when he started high school. Part of him wondered if they were still starving just as he left them...

Approximately 100 notifications of comments, tagging, notifications, and cause appreciations from Facebook. Dammit, he'd been meaning to turn that off. DELETE.

A notice from iTunes informing him that the new episode of Doctor Who was available for purchase. Cool, he wanted to see where Donna was going by the finale. This was gonna be imperative for his collection.

But right before he could click on the link, opening the window for easier readability, he noticed the little rotating arrows that indicated he was receiving a message. It popped up at the top of his little list, and it was a little thing that seemed to confuse him. "Mazumatsuzaki"? Ryan didn't know any Mazumatsuzaki's. He was seconds away from clicking the little box next to the heading and deleting it from his computer, when, looking at the preview, he saw something that piqued his interest.

The content of the message seemed to be far too short for spam or trolling messages.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm so sorry.

Code: Select all

http://official-SotF-fansite.co.uk/v4/profiles/B042
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/color]

SotF.....for some reason that sounds familiar...

His curiosity now soaked well beyond the safe level, he clicked on the link.

His browser popped up, a blood red banner greeting his eyes like a splash of paint on white. Link after link after link besieged the top of the page, but most prominent were three pictures on the right side of the banner: a shotgun; a barren island landscape; a...vase? The last one seemed out of place for some reason. Flicking his eyes to the top left, he found an answer to his question:

OFFICIAL SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST FANSITE

Oh great, it is spam mail. Ugh, Survival of the Fittest spam mail, no less. Great, just what I need, someone to see what I'm looking at, and Mr. Mulroy to go off into one of his tangents about it. Doesn't he know it's fake? I mean, how dumb does this person I am to be sucked into such stupid American propoga-

Of course, Ryan's cynical way of thinking was then brought to a halt, as the picture on the page...no, it couldn't have been...

...the picture on the page was of the Australian boy who used to sit at the end of the row of desks.

Glancing at the page name again, he confirmed it. Yes, this was Survival of the Fittest, and yes, this was a page about one of his oldest friends, but...what was with all the links? The forum posts? The embedded Youtube videos? The...slashfic? He didn't even want to KNOW what that entailed...

But the question remained, why was there a page about Brendan Wallace on this Survival of the Fittest si-

....no. No, no it can't be.

*~*

"So I, like, got my project back today, and everyone was all, like 'what'd ya get, what'd ya get!' and I had to, like, show them my fucking E! I mean, I'm, like, the only person in that class to get one! I swear I'm, like, not that dumb! I mean, even Jason got a C, and he's, like, Jason! I swear that Mrs. Evans, like, has it in for me, cause she was all, like, 'Uh, you gotta put more effort into it'! Fuck that, man, I had like a 4 page-bibliography! I put more effort into that stupid fucking project than anyone el-HEY ARE YOU EVEN LISTENING TO ME?"

Sighing loudly, as loud as anyone could muster in the ruckus that was the TCC outdoor lunch area, Angela Pollock-Jones held her head in her hand as it seemed that the majority of her friends (or so-called friends, in this case) seemed to lose interest in whatever she was saying. Yes, they were gamers, and yes they were male, but it still didn't give them any excuse not to listen to her talk about how much of a bitch Mrs. Evans was. Come on, she wasn't even that bad in class, why couldn't she just like her?

Flicking her head to the side, she decided to continue speaking with her friend Steph, aka, the girl who could run the entire school with a flick of her hair.

"So anyway, I was, like, wondering if you wanted to bring Max over this weekend? We can, like, all go see that movie together! You know, like, that one with all the g-OH HEY RYAN!"

Angela jumped off the metal picnic table (which was truly a feat, considering she was shorter than most people and such a distance would possibly break an arm) and wandered over to the thin, laptop-carrying newcomer, Ryan Hunter.

"So, like, what-cha looking for? Did you have something you, like, you know, wanted to ask-"
"Angela."
"...you look, like, really sick, you know that? You okay Ryan?"

Silently, Ryan placed the laptop at the end of the table, facing most of the people who were currently sitting there. While most of them went back to their lunch, several of the girls and guys who were scattered along the metal bench turned to see what the Youtube video was labeled:

Boy 42 Day 1 Start

Curious as to what could possibly be shown on the laptop, Angela slipped into the lap of her best friend (in a completely non-sexual way, as they do), and watched as the first few seconds started to roll.

Interspersed with several jump cuts, mostly removing the stories of the other students, a groggy Australian boy woke up on what seemed to be an island, before jumping behind a sand bank. Rummaging through his stuff, he flinched as a loud noise echoed off screen. Several minutes later, he was sprawled in the sand with a large gun in his hand, speaking to an Italian girl with purple streaks. Several more minutes later, he was transferring items from one bag to another, right next to a dead body. Even more minutes later, as the video wore on, and people who were passing by stopped to watch as well, they all heard the silent, whispering voice that they all recognized, even from a year ago.

Brendan Wallace.

"...I'm sorry."

And then, the video ended.

Silence. Absolute silence greeted the table, as many of the table's occupants either mouthed wordlessly, smiled nervously, or, in one short, black-haired girl by the name of Angela Pollock-Jones's case, spoke one sentence.

"....oh my god."

Her first ex-boyfriend was going to die.

*~*

[/i]((Brendan Wallace continues from Pearl and Destiny))

On the island, 10 hours ago...

"Look, it's bad, yeah, but I don't think it's gonna get any better if I don't get it flowing. I'm not a doctor or anything, but I've done this before. Just...look!"

He was still not used to having to be in a group. Sarah was being very vocal about him not stepping on his wounded leg, no matter how much he insisted that he was doing Stacy a discomfort. Sighing, Brendan scooped down towards the ground, and picked up a rather large tree branch, conveniently placed on the side of the dirt trail that was headed towards the town. Waving it around, tapping it on the ground, he smiled convincingly.

"Look, I won't put weight on it or anything, just let me walk on my own. My foot's feeling a bit better, honestly," Brendan lied. Good thing he was good at that sort of thing, otherwise he'd be in hot water.

Eventually, they relented.

Smiling, he started forward in his limping motion towards the town.

"Okay, so let's go find us a place to stop, okay?" Brendan said, before adjusting the bag on his shoulder again. It was becoming a nervous tic of his, this self-adjustment. He hoped it wouldn't become a give of his or anything.

9 hours ago...

Unsurprisingly, once they made it to the town, there were a lot of people. And by a lot of people, he meant a LOT of people, far too many for their liking. From the point they hid now, one of the first houses on the way to town, there were only a few places they could stay. This was also an ideal place to stay, were it not for the fact that there was an extremely large bloodstain smearing from the middle of the hallway to one of the outside doors. He didn't even want to think what had happened there, and he wasn't going to dwell on it. None of them were.

They all agreed: five minutes in that house, find what they needed, and then scram. Sarah went upstairs to find any extra medical supplies, Stacy checked the enclosed back garden, and Brendan checked the downstairs. It was simple, easy, and to the point.

It would have been so much simpler had the terrorists who'd scanned the house not done their job properly.

Brendan needed to find some sort of weapon for Stacy. The fact was, she was defenseless with what weapon she had, and as much as he didn't want to admit it, people were playing. People were killing. People were dying. But he had to step up from that, take the leadership role. He'd made it his duty the moment he fled the clinic to protect Sarah, and this meant keeping them armed.

...god, I'm thinking like a player again...

Checking the fridge, there was nothing. Checking the draws, and the cupboards, nothing still. No cutlery, no knives, not even a wooden spoon. There was literally nothing left in the house that he could use as a weapon. There was a large fireplace, but no pokers. In the small basement, there was a window, but he didn't dare smash it, as he was afraid of glass.

Looking around the room, he thought back to several video games he used to play. There had to be something, in most FPS's you could find a weapon almost anywhere, they were even making games where one could...

...smash something and use the debris, weren't they?

Examining the room, he found the closest object, a large wooden chair. It looked like something that could have been made here, on the island. It was smooth, but still rugged, it was shiny but very old, and, most importantly, looked like it could break very easily.

Unsure of how to exactly do it, Brendan lifted up the chair with both his hands, his lousy walking stick laying lopsidedly against the wall, he gripped a single leg in both hands, raised it like he would a baseball bat, squeezed his eyes shut, and swung with all his might.

*SCHWACK*

Holding what seemed to be a lot less weight in his hand, he peeked through one of his eyes. He had connected the chair with the protruding corner of the room, and miraculously, it shattered in the hallway instead of the room. He was one lucky SOB, really, he could have nearly cut his arm off. Sarah would have a fit then.

Now he just had to explain the noise.

*~~

5 hours later...

After raiding several more houses away from most of the grouped people (Brendan purposely avoided letting Sarah and Stacy head into one of the houses in which he actually found a dead body. They'd seen enough over the last few days for him to spare them that trauma), they left. It was a while, but after vigorously checking every nook and cranny of the houses, they managed to find only blankets, tables, decorations, and nothing much else of use. The terrorists seemed to want them to fend for themselves, and as such the only medical items they had were the stuff that Sarah yanked from the clinic, and their own first aid kits.

Some luck this was turning out to be.

The dirt path in front of them was still the same, and looked even more identical to the last pebble. It was becoming deliriously boring, having to walk so slowly. If his leg were any better, he would be running, but alas he was not. He was stalling the other two up, with his slow hobble coupled with his refusal to be carried.

So eventually, Brendan was getting tired. The sun was starting to dip, and there didn't seem to be anywhere to stop. They had passed by and promptly ignored a large Sawmill, as it seemed to be full of people. Armed people. And one person he did not particularly enjoy meeting again...

As the sun got lower in the sky, the group was starting to pull itself apart. The two girls were tired, and he, basically being the happy-go-lucky leader that he always was, realised they needed to stop. It wouldn't be long now until someone found them, a very tired group, and...decided they had very nice weapons to choose from.

Looking at his map again in frustration, he saw that to his east, and due north, was a forest. It may have been a felled forest, but it was a forest nonetheless. It had cover, and it had wood. They could start a fire, get some sleep, and sing Kumbaya until the whole thing blew over.

Yeah right.

But stopping was still a good idea.

~~~

Now.

It was Brendan's turn to take watch. Sarah had gone back to sleep almost instantly, and Brendan took his seat on the stump, sitting with his back to the crackling fire as it cast a glow over the field of stumps and discarded wood.

It wasn't that hard to make a fire. There was a lighter in the first-aid kit, apparently, and he had always burned garbage in his extensive back yard back in Australia, when the fire warnings weren't in effect. He just had to make sure it wouldn't spread beyond the large amount of discarded wood he found.

Then it just became a matter of surviving the night.

They took turns taking watch. Sitting there, he couldn't really help to wonder what everyone else was up to now. Was Hui Xu okay? Dutchy? Erik? Chase? They had to be, otherwise he would have almost nothing left. Despite his shortcomings, and the chances stacking ever higher that he may never see most of his friends again, he knew he'd made the right choice in following Sarah. He'd saved one life, and that...that was heavy as hell. Heavy shit, yes, but altogether a great choice in hindsight.

He couldn't help but wonder why his leg was still hurting though.

Taking a sharp inhale of breath, not even possibly sure what he faced underneath the cloth, he slowly rolled up his pants leg to take a good look at the bandage covering most of his le-whatingodsnameiswrongwithmyfuckingleg?!

Red. A lot of red. His leg was covered in the bandage, but it didn't seem to be helping one shitbit. Blood was pouring down his leg, slowly, almost systematically.

This was probably the most distressing thing he'd seen all day. He'd seen so much blood, so much people in pain, suffering, crying, that everything in the past was meaningless.

....did this mean he had to get down on his hands and knees and apologize to Sarah now?

Yes, it does. I have to apologize. And then ask her to save my life. Dear god, I'm a very distressing person.

Hobbling up off his stump, by the glow of the fire, he slowly walked over to where Sarah was sleeping. Not sure whether to wake her in her current position, he stood there, curling his lip into his mouth, before speaking. She couldn't be asleep yet for real, could she?

"Uh...Sarah? Sarah! Um...I need help. I'm really, really sorry I told you not to, and....okay, my leg's getting worse. I need stitches."

Brendan did not like the taste of the humility pill. It was far too bitter for his taste.
[+] The Island
V4: G069 - Clio Gabriella: Hold me closer, tiny dancer; count the headlights on the highway to hell.
V4: G083 - Paige Strand: Feelings don't try to hurt you, even the painful ones. You're responsible for all of the damn consequences.
V4: B118 - Jacob Charles: Every grieving heart has screamed at one time or another 'why can't you just let me die?'
V4: G114 - Aston Bennett: A woman who desires revenge must dig three graves.
V4: B108 - Ma'afu Tuigamala: Most men would rather forget a hard truth than face it.
V5: G015 - Janie Sinneave: Every human being must find her own way to cope with the impossible, and the only job of a true friend is to facilitate whatever method she doesn't choose.
V6: B018 - Maxim Kehlenbrink: Too much self-centered attitude brings isolation. Result: loneliness, fear, anger, and a hammer to the skull.
V7: G044 - Mikki Swift: It takes 18 years to build a reputation and a minute to ruin it.
V7: G070 - Jessica Rennes: Despair is our chance to wrestle with water and fall through.
V7: G075 - Aditi Sharma: She can still scream that rebel yell, just as loud as it was in 2005.
[+] Home
V4: B042 - Brendan Wallace: History has a way of repeating itself for years to come.
Meanwhile...
v5 - Penny Huang: Good girls can make bad decisions.
v5 - Jasper Rourke: Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are, "what could have been".
v7 - Gaelan Meloy: And nothing matters.
v7 - Jordan Brankovich: Rethinking it all.
v7 - Kayden Brockman: Not done yet.
v7 - Ji-hyun Christensen: Just getting started.
[+] Remind Me Tomorrow
Destiny Martinez will live fast and die faster.
Aidan Winston is going to let you know you're not solving anything.
Lara Rodriguez thinks you should keep your opinion on her to yourself.
Peyton Hoffman isn't fond of the PC Police ruining everything.
Lindsey Sewall wants to make sure you drank water today you stupid bitch.
Luke Travers needs to have a code.
I'm hosting a SOTF!
SOTF: International
Applications Open Now!
Zabriel†

Post by Zabriel† »

((Stacy Hart continued from Pearl and Destiny.))

Stacy had been lost in her own thoughts while they rested. She hadn't been quite asleep, but she wasn't exactly alert either. She was thinking about her old life. School, wrestling, boys. Her family. She looked to her side and smiled faintly. Sarah had cuddled up close to her. It was like being home. Her sister was getting a little old for it, but every now and then she'd cuddle up to her when things were stressful.

And what's more stressful than being on an island of death?

Stacy sighed and stroked Sarah's hair lightly. She was a cute girl. If she didn't look so innocent cuddled up to her, she might have carried that thought further. Instead she just smiled and returned to her thoughts.

"You know...I feel almost normal right now. Like we could really be on a camping trip together."

She sighed softly and closed her eyes.

"If you were trapped on a desert island, who would you want to be with you?"

Stacy thought about it for a minute and giggled. "You. Who else would I pick?"

The boy laughed and made a face. Stacy gave him a swat. "You would rather have somebody else with you?"

The boy nodded and kissed her cheek gently. "If you were with me, then you'd be stuck on a desert island. I couldn't do that to you."

Her ex had always been sweet like that. She missed him, but nobody would want anybody they loved to be anywhere near the island. It was easier to survive if she didn't actually like anybody trapped with her.

I wonder if you're watching this...I'm not sure whether I want you to or not. I might not make it home. Then again, I don't think I want you to see what I'll have done if I do come back.

Brendan's voice snapped her out of her thoughts. She gave Sarah a gentle shake. "Time to wake up sweetie."

Maybe it was inappropriate for her to be so calm with a very injured boy in need of medical attention, but it also wouldn't do any good to panic. They all needed to stay cool. Getting excited would run them into problems, which they did not need then.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Zabriel. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
ifnotwinter†

Post by ifnotwinter† »

((Erik Laurin continued from Come & See. I'll let you dudes get your post order all fixed and awesome before I jump in, k?))

Erik wasn't entirely sure when he'd lost the rest of the group. It had been early on, he'd ducked out to take a piss against a tree, awkward sense of embarassment rearing its head and making him search long and hard for an area out of camera-reach. It wasn't that he was...you know, ashamed or anything, but he'd rather not have however many viewers on TV plus the Internet chat rooms he knew existed discussing his manly bits. And then he thought he was following them, following the shapes of footsteps on the ground, but in the end, he wasn't Ranger Rick. And when the footsteps had failed to materialize into people, even when he dug into that hidden strength he used during his track and field meets.

Nothing.

So he'd wandered. Biting back the fear, he'd carefully moved through woods, through fields of chopped-off trunks, trying to keep his eyes off the cameras. Seeing so many groups of students, but none that he wanted to join with. None he felt comfortable joining up with. Because how would he know? The announcements rippling through the air informed him of the dead and the killers, but they didn't come in any way frequently. And the weapons he saw, the people carrying them...

So he moved on his own. He thought vaguely about home. Occasionally, when he simply couldn't ignore the cameras anymore, he gave a crooked smile. If Kimber did watch, becaus he knew she would, maybe she'd catch that. Maybe she'd see her brother smile again. Maybe she could show that freeze-frame to Pierre, and to the twins, give them one last thing to cling onto. One last thing to remember. If he died-

When he died.

He would make sure to do it somewhere they couldn't see.

And now, in the night-time, he could see firelight. He moved in close, watching the light hungrily as he munched on stale crackers. He didn't want to join the group, but there was something about the twinkling light that was strangely comforting. He curled back against a tree, twisted his bracelets in one hand, and watched it, eyes slipping shut every now and then into an almost-sleep.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler ifnotwinter. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
selphie_trabia†

Post by selphie_trabia† »

((Sarah Tan continued from Pearl and Destiny))

While Sarah was not completely happy with Brendan's choice to move under his own power, she had been sufficiently distracted with the day's events not to complain too much. Sarah kept herself busy, willing images of the violence wrought in front of her from her mind by keeping her body busy. If the two that travelled with her knew her very well, they would note that she was more out of touch with reality than normal.

By nightfall, Sarah was pretty much exhausted. She'd fallen asleep as soon as her body stopped moving, a tremendous frown on her face and her teeth grinding quite loudly as her mind subconsciously ran her through the events of the day. In one of her more fretful moments, she'd cuddled up to Stacy, clinging onto the other girl for dear life, but relaxing soon after.

"Nhmm.." She murmured as Stacy shook her awake, "Nuh... 'leepy..."

She rubbed her eyes as she woke, yawning loudly and peering blearily over at Brendan. Slowly, her eyes trailed down his body until she saw the massive amounts of bleeding from his leg, the bandage dangling limply from it. Instantly, her expression changed from a sleepy little girl to that of a professional.

"Brendan. Lie down. Stacy, sit on his waist and lift his leg." She snapped quickly, "We're going to have to wash it out again and it will definitely need stitches now. I hope we're not too late. Are you feeling any lightheadedness at all, Brendan?"
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler selphie_trabia. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Brackie

Post by Brackie »

Hmm, well if that isn't one of the most adorable things I've seen so f-stay focused Brendan, you're bleeding. No fantasizing, you've got panties for that.

He wasn't really sure how much blood he'd lost over the day, and he was really worried. He wasn't even close to a medical expert like Sarah was, since the only medical show he'd seen was CSI, and even their methods were questionable. But he knew, from Sarah's reaction to it, that it had to be bad.

"Uh, I...I guess I have? I mean, I'm really tired now, but I, um, think that's because we've been on the move for a while, I really dunno. But...yeah, I...ugh, I'm gonna lie down now."

So he did what he was told, and, placing his bag on the log beside him, layed down on the grass below.

It was a weird experience, being in this oddly sexual situation on the ground in the presence of these three girls...no, two girls. Man, he really was dizzy wasn't he? He was lucky that his parents weren't probably watching.

...and then it hit him that it had taken almost 4 days away from them for him to actually think about home.

He'd cared about his friends, every person on the island who was in danger. It was like he was literally in a different world to the world he'd come to live in for the entirity of his life...and failed to think about everyone in the world who'd been watching him back home. He couldn't even bear to think of what he'd seen be done on television, and that was just the tip of the iceburg. He'd never told his parents he swung both ways in regards to his sexual preferences, living in the neighbourhood that he used to, and to think, Lexie and Joseph and Laverne and Ayn and everyone else who couldn't make it or didn't make it, would they find out as well? What could they see of him in this state, and if he ever did persee make it home, would they forgive him for what they'd seen him do? Even worse, the thought of his old friends back in Australia. They'd only find out about this way after he was dead, since SOTF wasn't shown in Australia, and everything was delayed a few days, even games and movies and everything, and...

His entire thought process was running together in a blur that didn't make any sense. He had really lost a lot of blood, huh?

He also, at that point in time, laying on the ground, just realised that he was about to have a girl sitting on top of him.

Stop smiling, you idiot.

Brendan did what his thoughts told him to do and, following that, removed his shoe and sock with his opposing foot.

Laying down by the fire, he could have sworn he saw someone moving in the distance. But he couldn't have been sure, since it was nighttime. It would never have been safe enough anyway, in case they were playing or someone he wished to avoid for the time being.

"Okay. I take it this is gonna hurt, Sarah?"
[+] The Island
V4: G069 - Clio Gabriella: Hold me closer, tiny dancer; count the headlights on the highway to hell.
V4: G083 - Paige Strand: Feelings don't try to hurt you, even the painful ones. You're responsible for all of the damn consequences.
V4: B118 - Jacob Charles: Every grieving heart has screamed at one time or another 'why can't you just let me die?'
V4: B108 - Ma'afu Tuigamala: Most men would rather forget a hard truth than face it.
V5: G015 - Janie Sinneave: Every human being must find her own way to cope with the impossible, and the only job of a true friend is to facilitate whatever method she doesn't choose.
V6: B018 - Maxim Kehlenbrink: Too much self-centered attitude brings isolation. Result: loneliness, fear, anger, and a hammer to the skull.
V7: G044 - Mikki Swift: It takes 18 years to build a reputation and a minute to ruin it.
V7: G070 - Jessica Rennes: Despair is our chance to wrestle with water and fall through.
V7: G075 - Aditi Sharma: She can still scream that rebel yell, just as loud as it was in 2005.
[+] Home
V4: B042 - Brendan Wallace: History has a way of repeating itself for years to come.
Meanwhile...
v5 - Jasper Rourke: Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are, "what could have been".
[+] Remind Me Tomorrow
I'm hosting a SOTF!
Applications Open Now!
ifnotwinter†

Post by ifnotwinter† »

Erik wasn't entirely sure when he woke up, from half-remembered dreams of childhood and scattered memories. He came back to the world slowly, moving sluggishly through a haze of fatigue until he managed to shake it off and focus once more on the firelight in front of him. There were people moving now, and talking. First softly, then louder, sounding worried. But not angry. They didn't sound like they were about to self-destruct into shooting, for instance.

That was always a good sign.

He stretched his legs and winced as little muscle cramps tightened his calves briefly, and his toes loudly protested the cold inside their slightly less than roomy sneakers. That firelight was looking mighty tempting right about now. If it came down to it he could probably flee pretty quickly, and in the meantime, a chance to warm up and actually talk with some people sounded amazing.

It was weird to think that some of the people he'd talked to recently probably weren't alive anymore. Or wouldn't be for much longer. He shook the thought away like so much water and pushed himself to his feet, slinging his pack over his back and moving quietly through the forest of stumps, not trying to make himself unnoticeable but not tramping around like Bigfoot either.

He opened his mouth to speak as he neared the campfire, but any words he might have been planning to say died in his throat as he got a closer look at the boy stretched out next to it, blood-spattered, being attended by two girls. Familiar hair, not brown, not red, somewhere in between. Warm eyes.

Brendan.

He was moving before he even realized, almost tripping over his own feet in his haste to get to the slightly smaller boy's side. Dropping hard to his knees, he reached forwards and then pulled back, hands hovering in the air, desperate to help but unsure how.

"Brendan..."
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler ifnotwinter. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Zabriel†

Post by Zabriel† »

Stacy followed Sarah's commands and straddled the boy's waist. She looked back at him and grinned.

"Enjoy it while you can. It's going to get pretty ugly in a few minutes."

Stacy laughed a little, squirming on top of him as she tried to get comfortable enough to actually be helpful. She smirked a little bit and took hold of his leg, lifting it gently so Sarah could work with it. As she sat for a moment, her thought process became increasingly inappropriate to the situation.

"You know, you're actually kind of cute."

It was about that time that she noticed somebody approaching. She sized him up mentally, and then called out.

"You. Hands where I can see them. Move slowly."
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Zabriel. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
selphie_trabia†

((Light GMing of Stacy with permission from Zabriel))

"Stacy, if you could angle so you're directly above his pelvis, that would be best. We want to staunch bloodflow to the leg, so put some weight into it. Lift his leg up a bit more... yes... Just there." Sarah called out as she pulled various items for the operation out of her kit.

Sarah smiled as bleeding seemed to slow. She had a pretty shaky grasp anatomy as it was, but she figured that if she could staunch the bloodflow to Brendan's leg, it would be best. She moved over to Brendan and put a T-shirt over his face.

"The less you see, the better. It'll hurt, but hopefully your wound is numb by now." she said, pouring more water over the wound from yet another of her bottles, flushing as much blood out of it as she could.

Once the wound was slightly clear, she cleaned it again, rubbing iodine over the open mouths of the cut. It seemed that the bandage did a fairly good job of protecting Brendan from infection, for all it didn't do to stop the bleeding. She pulled the curved needle out of the box, using the provided lighter to heat it up and kill the germs.

30 seconds... 40 seconds... the needle was getting pretty hot in her fingers... 50 seconds... 60 seconds... She whimpered... 90 seconds... She put down the lighter, taking a shaky breath and letting it out again. As she threaded the needle, Sarah noticed a small red burn on her fingers where she held it.

She closed her eyes for a moment and trying not to throw up. She brought the needle down, puncturing one side of Brendan's open wound, passing it through the mess and gore to the other side, poking the needle through the other lip of the wound. She winced and pulled the thread tight, knotting it as tightly as she could, then cutting the thread, just as her father showed her.

All she could hear was the sound of her own heartbeat, pounding in her ears as she continued the surgery.

The leg shook violently, a quick jerk upwards, as Sarah started to make the third insertion. She immediately let go of the needle. Once the leg was still again, Sarah passed the needle to the other side of the wound, tying the stitch up tightly. Blood oozed out from beween the three stitches. Sarah cleaned it off with an iodine soaked cotton bud, then put a pad on it to soak up any excess.

She started to bandage the leg.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler selphie_trabia. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Brackie

Post by Brackie »

Much movement later, Stacy was on top of him. She commented about the nature of her position and the fact that he was, probably, enjoying it.

Well, not a lie, really. It was...okay?

Stacy spoke again, commenting on something that Brendan wasn't really sure put her in the right state of mind for something like this.

"You know, you're actually kind of cute."

Brendan couldn't help let out a small laugh at this. It had to be, in the history of man, one of the most inopportune placed comments ever. Really, he went through his whole life with a self-loathing, and now, on the brink of death, another goth girl tells him he's cute?

"Um...thanks, I, suppose?"

That was all Brendan could let out before a shirt was placed over his face. The main feeling he was feeling now was...confusion. Why on earth was this girl giving him all her clothes?

"The less you see, the better. It'll hurt, but hopefully your wound is numb by now."

Oh right, stitching, leg bleeding, all that jazz.

Man, he must have lost a lot of blood over the day, his thoughts were becoming more and more disjointed.

Through the small amount of light that made it through the fabric covering his face, he could hear something. A lighter. Crap, they weren't gonna cauterize it, or whatever it was called? No no no no that couldn't happen! He wasn't gonna have someone burning his skin off! That was just...well, freaking insane!

But as he made out a shape hunched through the shirt over his face, looking around the goth girl sitting on his waist, he realized that she wasn't gonna light his leg on fire. Good thing too. He rather liked it non-burnt. No, it looked like she was lighting something small on fire. Rather than question the situation any more than he had, he leaned back, made sure he really couldn't see, and awaited the pain of stiches.

He'd never really been injured that badly before, really. He'd broken his ankle once, but that was it. He'd only had a cast put on his foot, and weeks, or months later, he'd gotten better. Nothing else really sprung to mind as he lay there, awaiting the pain that was to come.

The pain apparently was taking a while, but he could have sworn he heard something in the background. It wasn't that person, or that shape, from before was it? If they got them now, it would be all over, wouldn't it? Nothing to stop them from just blasting them off the island, 3 more souls to the call.

Suddenly, in mid-thought, he felt the small Asian girl's hand grasp his leg, and the pain truly entered his body once again.

It couldn't and it shouldn't have been worse than before, since his wound had gone slightly numb. But the experience of a hot needle entering the body was by no means something one could laugh off so easily. It burnt. It really fucking burnt, and not just because of the heat that the small metal needle was producing. He'd never gotten close to the concept of sewing the skin back together with a needle and thread like it was some sort of stuffed animal that needed a rework. It wasn't so much it entering his wound that hurt, it was the stinging that proceded it. It was all Brendan could do to stop himself from kicking Sarah, the mistress of his pain. Instead, he clenched the shirt in his mouth by his teeth, and made an almighty noise through the fabric.

Oh jesus, Oh jesus, OH FUCKING JESUS THIS HURTS.

There was nothing in the world that could have stopped him from accidentally jolting his leg up once the next insertion was made. He realised, once the girl's solid grip left his foot, that she hadn't taken the needle with her when she let go. He realised too late that the needle was stuck in his skin. The panic that could have been seen on his face when he realized his idiocy, and froze.

That was stupid. Real smart, Brendan. If you just....stay....still, then she'll get it out.

Brendan stayed still for a long time, until he felt her start again. The normal stinging sensation continued, and then, almost as quick as it began, he felt his skin pulled tight, and the stitching stopped. A quick stinging sensation later, he registered familiarly as iodine on his open wound, it was over.

See? It wasn't really that bad, was it?....Yeah, it was, it really was, who am I kidding?

Unclenching his teeth from the shirt, he removed it from his face and looked at the damage.

It was like he'd slipped into someone else's body, seeing his own flesh and blood tied up like that in a neat little bow. Before he knew it, bandages were being applied, and he fell back relieved onto the ground.

Looking back to where he thought he originally saw someone through an upside-down world, he registered movement again. Stacy called out to whoever it was, but the figure got closer.

Curling his lip, he tried to squint through the fire's light at the outline. Hmm, they looked really familiar. 3 days of living on nothing but the basics had drained his ability to quickly recall even the most familiar of the memory's shapes, but...

...man, he's tall, isn't he? And is that a ponyta-

The figure got closer, and the moon and the firelight fully lit up his face.

.....Erik?

Almost instantly, he spun his head around so that he could see the person through the right degree of vision.

And it was as though his heart was plunged back into his stomach, because the moment he saw the figure fall onto his knees, he was up. Sarah hadn't finished bandaging his leg, Stacy no longer weighing down his waist, and he had even had his own doubts about who they were only mere moments before. But it was...it was indescribable. He was there.

Everything's going to be okay now. He's here, he'll be here, he'll...

As much as the words didn't mean anything to his narrative, he couldn't say anything with his real voice. All he could do was throw his arms around the kneeling figure, who only moments before had seen him on the ground as he was at his weakest and stopped. If there was a soundtrack to his life right now, it would have the sweetest sound in the world.

And the waterworks truly began to flow, without him even realising it was happening, as he buried his head in Erik's neck, his grasp so tight that he could have cut off his head.

"Oh god," Brendan muffled through Erik's skin, as he stood there on his knees, clasping Erik like he was the gift of life itself. "Erik you're okay! You're...you're...."

What did the cameras matter to him now? Everyone in the world, all his old friends, his family, the people he left behind would have been shocked, but nothing mattered anymore except the fact that the one person he loved the most in the world at the moment was there, right there in his arms.

Everything could only get better from there.
[+] The Island
[+] Home
Meanwhile...
[+] Remind Me Tomorrow
I'm hosting a SOTF!
Applications Open Now!
ifnotwinter†

Post by ifnotwinter† »

Erik rocked backwards on his heels as Brendan tackled him, absorbing the weight and wrapping his arms around the smaller boy in turn. He knew, vaguely, that there were other people here, two girls, but right now he couldn't care less about them. This was more important. Somehow it mattered more than seeing the boys he'd originally met up with, the one's he'd lost days ago, and he didn't entirely understand that but some little part of his mind told him not to question. If he was going to feel utterly ecstatic that he'd found his boyfriend, despite the circumstances, then he was just going to let it happen.

He couldn't stay still, though. Brendan was clinging to his neck with a death grip, but Erik had just enough room to breathe and that was all he needed. Running his hands up and down Bren's body, he searched for wounds other than the one he could see, bloody bandages wrapped around his leg, obviously not finished, hanging sloppily off the limb in a rather stomach-churning fashion that made Erik wonder just how bad the injury below was. But his hands didn't give him anything else, no broken bones, no holes, nothing of that sort, and he bent his head into Brendan's hair to inhale sweat and dirt and sand and blood, holding onto the knowledge that he was alive, he was alive and he wasn't going to die, he was going to be okay.

"It's okay," he muttered, eyes shut, not caring what the girls thought, "it's okay it's okay it's okay, Brendan, it's going to be okay, I'm here, it'll be - I'll take care of you, I'll take care of everything. It's gonna be okay. Shh. Shhhh."

He managed to shift himself backwards, wiggling until he was sitting on his ass in the dirt, branches scratching at his back. He didn't care. He pulled Brendan closer, holding him in his lap, hands still checking and rechecking his body, needing to know, needing to understand, that there was still one constant in this everchanging world he could rely on.

"It'll be okay, I promise, I promise, everything's gonna be fine, shhh, I promise, it'll be okay," a litany of soothing words tumbling from his lips, hoping against hope that Brendan didn't realize just how many of the words were for Erik's sake, because he needed this, god.

He needed Brendan. He needed something. He'd been coasting through the days by pretending nothing was happening, shying away from guns, fights, (death), ignoring the announcements, trying desperately to just be the same person he'd always been because the person he'd always been was able to handle this, was strong enough to see what was going on around him. But now he had to see it, couldn't not p with the bloodstained body of his boyfriend sobbing in his arms, of course he had to see it. And he had to realize.

People are going to die.

He is
not going to be one of them.

Since twelve years old, he'd been scared of death. Terrified. Gnawing fear in his stomach every time his father or mother came home late without calling, frantic to pick up the phone if it rang while a sibling was out just in case it was the hospital, barely able to form friendships because what happens when they die? And now it was happening. The thing everyone had said would never happen was real, and he was in the middle of it.

People were going to die. But this was it. He was in the middle of it and as terrifying and frightening and awful as that was it meant that he had control. He wouldn't be at home, watching a television screen numbly as his classmates fell. He could protect them. He could protect Brendan.

He could save him.

So he held on, rocking slightly, arms looped tightly around the smaller boy, and words fell from his lips like tumbling rain until even he didn't know what he was saying, just knew that it all meant the same thing.

I will protect you.
Zabriel†

Post by Zabriel† »

"Jesus! Could you have waited five seconds?"

Stacy was a bit miffed at being rather unceremoniously thrown from the boy's lap and dumped on the ground. She pushed herself up and dusted herself off before turning to watch the two boys greet each other very enthusiastically. She allowed herself a small smile before coughing.

"Could you two break it up for a second so we can finish fixing your boyfriend? If he gets an infection he could die even if he gets off this shit-rock."

She tapped her foot and shook her head with a little grin. "Back down. If your boyfriend wants to trade spots with me he'll have to wrestle me for it."

She was almost joking. It wasn't that she really wanted to straddle the boy again, but tension was the enemy here, and she would keep it away the best she could.
selphie_trabia†

Sarah squeaked in surprise as Brendan jerked the foot and half-attached bandage out of her grasp, stumbling over to the other boy and then letting the remains of the bandage trail in the dirt, where it became useless.

For a moment or two, the girl could only stare in opennmouthed shock. Then, she seemed to swell up to twice her size as she suddenly became furious with Brendan. Not only had he wasted two bottles of her precious water, but he'd ALSO gone and ruined two bandages now, all for his own selfish reasons. Plus he had woken her from her sleep just to get himself stitched when he could have been stitched during the day and saved the bandages and possibly the water and her sleep!

Nerves frayed, then undid. Sarah took a deep breath, then let loose.

"ARGH!" she said, "BRENDAN! YOU GET BACK HERE AND SIT STILL! Is it REALLY too much to ask from you that you don't waste yet another bandage? LOOK AT IT! It's trailing in the dirt now! And you've used up two bottles of my water and a fair lot of iodine as well just cos you wanted to leave your leg to the last minute... I am not a neverending supply of healing items. And I'm sleepy! Okay?! We have to make whatever we have last so we can help as many people as possible. Couldn't you just sit still for one moment?! Just one?! While I bandage you? Instead of letting the bandage trail in the dirt? Huh? Is it really too much to ask?"

And then, inexplicably, she burst into tears. Sarah sat back in the grass and started to sob. There were just too many emotions crowding for her attention and she simply couldn't take it anymore.
Brackie

Post by Brackie »

Keep it together Brendan...Keep it together...screw it, I'm not doing that.

There was no point in trying to deny how he was really feeling at that moment. Relief, mixed with terror, mixed in with some pure sadness. Erik was here, he'd be here with him, it'd be okay. He was okay, Brendan was okay (well, slightly less so than Erik was), and they would all be okay together.

He'd always had the best way with words, and now, as he sat in Erik's arms, it was like the entire world was simply a dream that surrounded them, colours and blurs....colours and really angry blurs, come to think of it...

....crap.

Why did he have to just act like that? Erik woud have been just as happy had he waited until he was bandaged up. He was letting his emotions grab ahold of himself. It was a little glimpse into his psyche and a reminder that he was still human, but if he did that again, in a more fleetingly dangerous situation.

When the time came, he'd know.

But now he had to deal with Sarah and Stacy.

Letting go of Erik and rotating himself around in his lap, he faced the goth wrestler and nervously chuckled. Yeah, she could probably beat them both up, by the looks of her.

Sarah's reaction, however, wasn't so calm. Biting the bottom of his lip nervously, he realised he deserved nearly every word of what he said. He had wasted her water, he had wasted her medical supplies. And he was being a bit inconsiderate, given the circumstances. Sure, he'd reunited, but...damn, he needed a bit of time to sort out his priorities.

Sliding off Erik's lap, his hand momentarily grasping his, he shuffled over to Sarah and put his hands on her shoulders.

"Sarah, Sarah, I'm sorry, really sorry. Look, I'll stay still, I've," Brendan reached into his nearby bag and, ruffling around on the inside, found Chris Davidson's first aid kit "Got two of these, you don't need to worry about wasting this stuff. I've got more water as well, we don't need to worry about that. Just...just calm down, okay? I'll, um, I'll get back into position, okay?"

Sliding his backside across the ground, he shuffled back into position on the dirt before, and kept his throbbing, bandaged leg off the ground.

Stacy has the right idea. Keep the tension low, it'll be okay. At least try a joke or two.

Yes, he still had tears in his eyes, but at least his throat was okay now, he wasn't babbling like a freaking madman.

Glancing back at his boyfriend through the upsidedown view that was provided, he smiled widely.

"So - how've you been Erik? Okay?" Brendan smiled. This wasn't a time to be sombre. Slightly happier times were a go.
[+] The Island
[+] Home
Meanwhile...
[+] Remind Me Tomorrow
I'm hosting a SOTF!
Applications Open Now!
ifnotwinter†

Post by ifnotwinter† »

Oh, dear. Erik winced as shrill female voices filled the air, suddenly rather glad that they probably couldn't see his face through Brendan's body. An irrational, irritated, desperate part of him, the part that understood none of this and couldn't understand, wanted to yell right back and ask them how the fuck they would feel if they'd just found their boyfriend after days on this stupid fucking island full of people that wanted to fucking kill other people? But he swallowed it down, hard, reminded himself that they cared for Bren too, they just wanted to fix him up, make sure he was okay, and there sure as hell wasn't anything at all wrong with that.

Brendan wiggled off his lap, and that little part of Erik that was screaming wanted to drag him right back. He resisted this urge as well, settling for reaching out (there were some advantages to having gargantuan Bigfoot-arms after all) and just brushing the back of Brendan's hair before he was too far out of reach. The smaller boy was apologizing for wasting supplies and grabbing first aid stuff out of his own bag, in a gesture so - ridiculous that it made a smile twitch across Erik's face.

Here we all are, on a death island, one of us gets what's probably a bullet wound or knife slash to the leg, and he's all apologizing for being slightly hysterical?

Well. At least you know you're not dating an asshole.

A bubble of slightly hysterical laughter threatened to emerge, and he hastily coughed into his fist to hide it, scootching over on his butt so that Brendan's head, instead of being on the ground, was lying in his lap. He didn't want to admit how much he needed the physical contact right now, but in this position at least he could pretend it would be so that he could help hold Brendan if needed.

As it was, he roughly carded his fingers through the oddly-coloured hair, and smiled faintly. "Been better than you, looks like. Just a metric fuckton of bugbites and some unpleasant chafing."

Glancing up at the girls, he nodded quickly. He recognized them both, faintly - both started with S, right? The crying one was one of the Sarahs, he knew that much. Couldn't quite get the other's name yet, but it would come with time. "Sorry about the interruption, guess I just wasn't thinking. You guys, uh...you wouldn't mind if I tagged along, would you? Only I think this big lug," tapping Brendan's forehead fondly, "needs someone to keep him out of trouble, and I, uh. I'm pretty big so I guess I could make a good human shield or something? I'd offer to defend you, but my weapon was porn. Like, literally, a DVD of Chinese porn."

He winced.

"Apparently a giant dick is a major plot point. And while apparently it can kill people," and why, he wondered, would you put a picture of that on the back of the DVD cover, "mine is not that enormous."

Beat.

"Not...that...you cared, or anything, or thought I would beat people off with my giant dick and by beat people off I mean beat up. O-okay. Uh. I'm just, going to shut up now and if you would like me to talk again you will need to go through my handsome translator because apparently I just should not be allowed to talk ever."
Zabriel†

Post by Zabriel† »

Stacy crawled over to Sarah and wrapped her arms around her. It had been a rough couple of days, and it would probably just get worse. She could understand why Sarah felt like crying. She held the girl close and did her best to comfort her.

"Hey, it'll be okay. Everything is going to be alright sweetie..." Stacy ran a hand over the girl's hair and hummed softly. It was a little strange, as they weren't really close during school. Maybe part of that was just Stacy's personality, but it was also the island. Being trapped made her want more than anything to feel connected. So she picked Sarah. Not a well-thought out choice really, but it was enough to keep her going. If she had Sarah with her, Stacy had a reason to get up, stay sane, and keep trying.

Good things take time...great things happen all at once...isn't that what...the fuck?

In the middle of her thought, their friend's stupid boyfriend started talking about his weapon. Then about his weapon. She turned her head toward him and just shook it sadly.

"Yeah. Maybe you should not talk for a little while. Although, I may have remembered to pack my portable DVD player. Maybe we can have a little movie night. This really sounds too messed up not to watch..." Stacy managed a grin.

"DVDs can be handy too. If you break it in half it's pretty sharp. You might be able to kill somebody with a shard if you get desperate enough. I guess the same could be said for a pen too. But I wouldn't recommend attacking anybody with either. Or your penis. Though it might get the show a ratings boost if you do. If you die, people will laugh. If you somehow succeed, you'll be the first player to successfully penis somebody to death. Either way, nothing to lose right? Except you know your life, and maybe your penis."

Return to “The Felled Forest: North”