A Balcony Scene

The Ballad of Daniel and Rachael

Here is where any preparations, last second date-seeking, or other stuff of that sort can take place. This forum covers events directly related to Prom from two days before the dance until the start of the dance itself.
Laurels

A Balcony Scene

Post by Laurels »

"Rachael, you look really great," said Bridget.

"R-really?"

"Yes, of course. I wouldn't lie about this."

Rachael looked at herself in a mirror. Rachael couldn't think of a time where she looked as fancy. She had her sister to thank for that. Bridget had graduated from law school recently and moved back home. She was trying to find work in Washington State, and was allowed to stay at home until she could find work somewhere. Rachael loved having her sister around again. Bridget was someone who really knew how to make Rachael feel good about herself.

Bridget helped figure out the best way to style her. Because of that, Rachael was wearing a eggshell white dress that evening. It only reached her knees, something Rachael almost never exposed, and was pleated towards the bottom. The dress flowed very easily with her movements. Around her waist was a black belt with a bow on her backside. The dress didn't cover her arms, leaving her collarbone and arms exposed. She had a black wrap for her arms, and a string of fake pearls around her neck. For the first time in a long time, she was wearing high heels, also black in color. She had trouble walking in them at first, but practiced wearing them every day so she could wear them without getting blisters on the dance floor.

Bridget also styled Rachael's hair. She and Rachael confined themselves in the bathroom, washing, drying, and styling Rachael's hair. Rachael found it to be a real arduous process. However, even she was stunned by the way she looked. Her hair was loose tonight. Her chocolate colored hair fell to her waist in thick curls. Bridget did tie Rachael's bangs back and clipped it with a blue, flower shaped hair clip.

Overall, Rachael never thought she could look like this.

"So, when does he get here?" Bridget asked.

"Oh, uh, he should be here soon," Rachael stammered.

Bridget patted Rachael on the back.

"Don't worry. Just have fun tonight. Forget about everything else, and just get lost in the moment."

Rachael nodded. She picked up the black clutch Bridget gave her and checked the contents. That's when her cell phone buzzed. She picked it up and read the message.

"Okay, he's almost here," Rachael said.

A few weeks ago, Rachael was at school when she got a text from Daniel, asking her to meet him in one of the gazebos after school. She had no idea what Daniel would want to talk about, especially in a really vague sense. Did someone have a birthday coming up?

Well, whatever the reason, she could afford to speak to him at the gazebos. She sat in one of the gazebos, reading her new copy of A Feast for Crows. What could Daniel want to discuss?

It couldn't be prom related, could it?
dmboogie

Post by dmboogie »

<Relax, Danny, you'll be fine! Everything will work out!> Erica signed, giving Daniel a half-affectionate, half-playfully condescending pat on the head. He sighed. Being called nicknames was one thing that tended to annoy him. Erica knew this fact perfectly well, so of course she did so at every possible opportunity.  

<My tie's on straight, right?> Daniel asked, instinctively bringing his right hand up to his neck to nervously fiddle with his hoodie strings before realizing that he didn't have hoodie strings, since he was wearing a rented tuxedo. Habit was a dangerous thing. Erica examined him for a second, then gave him a thumbs up.

<Tie's straight, tux's nice, you're all set to go, Dan!> She signed, glancing at the clock. <About time for you to go! You shouldn't keep a lady waiting, after all.>

<Thanks for helping me, Erica, however much of a pain you may be!> he signed, walking towards the door backwards so she could see his hands.

She waved good-bye and grinned. <Hey, that's what big sisters are for, right? Looking out for you and mocking you at the same time. Enjoy yourself, Daniel! Prom only happens once in a lifetime, you know! Make the most of it, don't worry, ect ect!> She tried to form a wise, kind, motherly look on her face, instead bursting out in laughter as Daniel walked straight into the doorknob.

He grimaced, leaning against the wall. <Ow. So glad to know that my pain brings you so much joy.> He took his phone from his pocket while he was catching his breath, sending Rachael a quick message to let her know he was on his way.

Man, he still found it hard to believe that he was actually going to prom with her. If this was some cheesetastic romance novel, he'd be having a flashback to the moment he asked her out. Thankfully, this was real life, that would never

-

The moment of truth had come. That was a good of a way to think of it as any. Nice and dramatic. Daniel'd finally managed to work up the nerve to ask Rachael to meet up with him after school in one of the gazebos. Prom was coming up soon, after all, so it was pretty much now or never.

He nervously walked up to the meeting place, hands in his pockets. He froze for a second when he saw Rachael, but then took a deep breath and continued. He waved a greeting as he reached the stairs, then sitting on the bench across from Rachael. "Er, H-hey Rachael!" He said, then paused for a moment, desperately trying to find something to say, before seeing Rachael's book. "Uh, you're still reading A Song of Ice and Fire? Cool! W-what do you think of it so far?"

Smooth, Daniel, smooth. That wasn't a conversation opener. That was desperately flailing about whilst tripping over your own feet but somehow coincidentally managing to avoid falling down the stairs into a pit of spiked lava.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Hmm, that's what they are calling the Asha chapter? Well I guess I could understand tha- Daniel!

Rachael looked up from her book and realized that Daniel had just arrived in the gazebo. She quickly greeted him as he sat down.

Uh, you're still reading A Song of Ice and Fire? Cool! W-what do you think of it so far?

"Oh, yeah, I am still going. It's pretty good. I've been pleasantly surprised by a lot of the events. Like I mentioned in book club, the Arya chapters are still some of the better ones, although Tyrion has good chapters as well."

Rachael quickly put a bookmark in the novel and closed it shut.

"So, what did you want to talk about?"
dmboogie

Post by dmboogie »

Daniel took a deep breath. He'd spent quite a bit of time thinking of the best way to phrase what he was about to say. This was important! This very moment could end up drastically changing the course of his entire life, or at the very least the next year or so! Also, he didn't want so sound like a complete gibbering moron. That would suck.

Staring at his hands, which were clasped on his lap, Daniel said "So. Uh. Prom's coming up, you know, and, uh... ireallyreallylikeyousowouldyouliketogotopromwithme?

Ah, so dignified! So well spoken! He should totally receive a "WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM DANIEL YOU GIBBERING MORON SPEAK NORMALLY" award! He would be the envy of all the fellows, ahahahaha! ...Once more, with comprehensibility.

Blushing furiously, Daniel looked up at Rachael. "I've... sort of really liked you for a while now, Rachael. You're an amazing person. Would you like to go to the prom with me?"

There it was. He'd actually said it. It was like interrupting an intricate waltz with a sledgehammer to the knee, as the saying goes, but at least it was now out there in the open. Now he'd just have to see how Rachael reacted. This was going to be the most nerve-wracking few seconds ever.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Daniel was silent. That worried Rachael. If he needed to tell her something like this, it could be really bad. Was he sick? Was Michael sick? Would he be leaving before graduation? All these thoughts raced through her head as Daniel looked down at his hands. Then he spoke.

So. Uh. Prom's coming up, you know, and, uh... ireallyreallylikeyousowouldyouliketogotopromwithme?

Rachael was awestruck. Daniel said Prom, and then really rushed the next part. He couldn't actually be asking her out, could he?

"What?" she quietly responded, hoping he would speak more clearly this time.

I've... sort of really liked you for a while now, Rachael. You're an amazing person. Would you like to go to the prom with me?

OH.

Did he really just confess to her? Daniel, one of the first friends she made when she moved to Seattle, the guy who was inseparable from Michael, who knew a lot about sign language and literature. He likes her?

"I...uh..oh...well....."

Rachael didn't know how to react. She never really expected anything like this would've happened to her, especially while in high school. She always thought that most people would view her as a small girl to be kind to. Sure, there was that day when Adonis Alba made it clear he thought she was attractive, but she never followed up on that (not that she would have ever followed up. His behavior to Kyran and Gray was enough to convince her to never say yes to him).

Rachael could feel herself beginning to blush. It was a warm day, but she was so hot it felt like she was close to getting a sunburn. She was continuing to stammer, and she needed to become coherent as soon as possible.

"Well...um...why? Why me? Why me and not anyone else?"
dmboogie

Post by dmboogie »

Rachael seemed to be somewhat taken aback by his revelation. A natural reaction. If a girl had come up to Daniel and gone "Dude, you're pretty rad, let's go out!" he'd most likely be reduced to panicked mumbling.

"Well...um...why? Why me? Why me and not anyone else?"

Er. Now to somehow find the words to explain what he felt, while simultaneously not sounding like a complete idiot again. At least Rachael sounded somewhat receptive to the idea, in that she hadn't taken offense and knocked him out with her book. Those things hurt.

"I... I like you, Rachael. You're intelligent, kind, beautiful... I'm asking you out because I want to go to prom with you, not any other girl." he said, doing his best to speak clearly. Panic induced-mumbling is good for comedic value, not so good for anything else. He had to stay calm.

Daniel unconsciously held his breath a bit while waiting for a response. He still didn't know if Rachael reciprocated his feelings, after all. Even if she didn't, though, he was glad that he managed to confess. Considering how near the end of high school was, Daniel'd gotten dangerously close to missing his chance to tell her how he felt. A "Could have been" was much more painful than a simple "Nope" after all.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Rachael stared at Daniel. She couldn't understand why he would like her, and she needed an actual reason. Apparently, he's liked her for a while, so she needed to know why her out of everyone he knew.

I... I like you, Rachael.

Okay, he's serious.

You're intelligent,

Okay......

kind,

I see.....

beautiful...

WHAT?!?!?

I'm asking you out because I want to go to prom with you, not any other girl.

Jesus Christ, he really means it.

Rachael's face was turning red. She seriously never thought this kind of thing would be real. There was no hint of irony in his words. He meant it. One of her best friends was in love with her.

Rachael felt her heart begin to beat faster. She still had to take it all in. He thought she was beautiful. No one outside her immediate family ever said she was beautiful. She always assumed that it was out of generosity and to raise her self esteem. But Daniel really meant it.

What am I going to do? Can I say no? He seems really serious. I mean, I don't have to like him back. I just have to go to Prom with him. Right? Oh, I don't know what to do! I need to breathe.

Rachael stood up.

"T-thank you for those kind words, Daniel," she said. "Uh, I'll get back to you on that. I, um, need a moment. This is a lot to suddenly take in."

Rachael quickly scooped up her things and hurried out of the gazebo. She began to quickly walk towards her car, away from the gazebo, away from Daniel.
dmboogie

Post by dmboogie »

"T-thank you for those kind words, Daniel, uh, I'll get back to you on that. I, um, need a moment. This is a lot to suddenly take in." Rachael said. She stood up, grabbed her things, and hurried away. Daniel tried to raise a hand in farewell, but she had already left.

...Well. Apparently he had scared her away. Daniel took a deep breath, leaning back against the wall of the Gazebo. That had been exactly as awkward as he had feared. At least Rachael hadn't completely rejected him. Waiting would suck, but Daniel definitely didn't Rachael to feel pressured to do something she didn't want to do. It'd just be hollow if she agreed to go with him without her heart being in it, y'know?

He needed to calm down. Take his mind off the situation for a bit. Worrying wouldn't help anything, and he wanted to be at his best, mentally, when Rachael returned. Daniel reached into his pocket and took out his phone. Michael was always a good person to speak with when he was worried. Ah, good, he was online. Daniel sent him a message.

Hello, Michael.

Yo! Can't talk right now, being the hero Gotham needs!

I guess I'll leave you to your Batman, then. :[

Eh, they all believe in Harvey Dent anyway. What do you need?

Just needed someone to talk to, is all.

So you require the services of MICHAEL MITCHELLSON, PSYCHOLOGIST GUY, EXTREME BADASS? Happy to- shit dad needs me gotta go

Just remember this! Go for broke, Heaven or Hell? REBEL ONE, ACTION, MOTHERFUCKER!

Michael is now offline.

Daniel smiled, though he was a bit disappointed that Michael had to cut the conversation short. At least he wasn't as worried anymore! Ah, the power of friendship. Truly a powerful force.

Left with nothing much else to do, Daniel retreated to his book, Guards! Guards! He'd read it many times, but old books could sometimes hold the same comforts as old friends.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Oh my god. What am I going to do?

After fleeing the gazebo, Rachael hurried to her car and locked herself inside. She was currently resting her face against the steering wheel. Her eyes were closed and she moaned softly.

I can't believe he said all of that. He really meant all of that. How long has he felt all of that? Has he told anyone? Does Michael know about this? Does Naomi? Arthur? Were there any obvious signs? What do I do?

Rachael lifted her head off the steering wheel and rested it against the headrest. She lifted the lever on the side of the seat, reclining the back. Now lying flat, she stared at the ceiling. That's when she had a thought.

Then again, why shouldn't I go with him? I know Daniel. He's nice. He's a good friend. He was really sincere back there. I guess it might be fun to go to Prom with him. We could get pictures taken at the waterfront. Maybe we can invite some of our friends and their dates to come along and get some group shots. We could all get dinner afterwards, then head to the event.

Rachael lifted her seat back up.

Might as well take the leap.

Rachael pulled out her cell phone and quickly typed a text message to Daniel.

SURE. I'LL GO TO PROM WITH YOU. LET'S TALK LATER.

Rachael clicked send. She exhaled and let out a small chuckle.

"I'm going to Prom. Oh wow."
dmboogie

Post by dmboogie »

Time passed. Head buried in his book, Daniel almost didn't hear his phone's ringtone. He looked up, confused for a moment. Why was there an incredible heavy-metal flute solo type thing playing? He was trying to read dagnabbit- oh right, phone. He sat and listened to the song for a moment, almost afraid to check it.

Daniel took a deep breath, steeling himself. Maybe it was just Michael calling back. Maybe it was Rachael rejecting him. He could sit here for an hour guessing, or he could get it over with now. It was a time for action.

He slowly took the phone out of his pocket, opening it. Taking another breath, he looked at his messages. One new message, sender: Rachael Langdon. Don't panic, don't panic, don't panic...

SURE. I'LL GO TO PROM WITH YOU. LET'S TALK LATER

YES! Daniel laughed a bit, relieved. So, it was decided. He was going to go to the prom with Rachael! He'd pinch himself to make sure this wasn't a dream, but then he'd have to punish himself for being cliche. For now, he settled for doing a little joyous dance.

There were still details and such to work out, of course, but those could be dealt with in due time! There was still a bit before Prom, after all. For now, Daniel was happy just to know that the evening had turned out well. Daniel would have whistled cheerily as he walked to his car, carrying his things, but unfortunately whistling was not a skill he possessed. Oh well, not everything can be perfect.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

After sending the text, Rachael drove home and told her family the news. Over the next few weeks, Rachael found herself getting ready for the evening. She and Daniel talked a bit about where they would go, who they would go with, and any other plans for the night. She went dress shopping with her mom and sister, and after hours of styling, she was ready for Prom.

On Prom night, Rachael sat in her bedroom, ready for the event and waiting for Daniel to arrive. Part of her couldn't believe she was still going to Prom with him. Even with the dress and hair styling, it seemed too surreal to handle.

Just have fun. Fun with friends a month before graduating. You are going to enjoy your time.

Rachael hadn't told anyone exactly what Daniel said to her in the gazebo. She still found it hard to accept that her friend would feel this way about her. She figured she would be able to understand what he meant after some time. But it was Prom Night, and now she had to be prepared for anything.

"Rachael! Come downstairs!" shouted her sister, Bridget.

Oh, that must be Daniel.

Rachael grabbed her clutch and her wrap and exited her room. She was ready for the evening.
dmboogie

Post by dmboogie »

After glancing over the interior of his car to make sure it was presentable, (nothing except a copy of his dad's latest novel lying on the back seat, which was left alone) Daniel began to drive over to Rachael's house. He knew the way from countless book club meetings, so the trip was spent in contemplative silence. So. This was really a thing that was happening. Weird, huh?

Before too long he was pulling up in Rachael's driveway. Taking one last moment to check his appearance in the rear-view mirror, Daniel adjusted his tie a bit before getting out. He took a deep breath before walking up the the front entrance, ringing the doorbell.

Daniel knew Rachael's family, but as this was a "Yo, I'm taking your daughter/sister to prom!" situation instead of a "Yo, we're just going to hang out and talk about books!", he couldn't help but feel a bit nervous.

Trying to stand as casually-yet-respectable as possible, he waited for someone to answer the door.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

((GMing approved))

Rachael's hand reached for the stair banister. He was here. He was here to take her to Prom. It was time to meet him.

Alright Rachael, take your time. Just be cool. These are sturdy heels, so you're gonna be okay walking. Wait, am I walking slowly like in a movie? Oh man, I must look so cliched.

Rachael soon was in view of the foyer. Her parents and Bridget were standing next to Daniel. Rachael let out a small laugh.

Wow, he looks pretty nice. God, I can only imagine what everyone is thinking.

That's when she realized that neither of her parents had seen her complete prom look. Sure, her mom had been there when she tried the dress on, but she knew that they hadn't seen her like this. She must have looked like a complete stranger, one who wears her hair completely down, has a good deal of makeup on, and is suddenly a few inches taller than usual.

Rachael soon reached the bottom of the steps and faced Daniel.

"H-hi Daniel. You look nice."

"Oh Rachael," said Mrs. Langdon, "you look so wonderful."

Rachael realized that her mom looked like she was on the verge of tears. Fortunately, her dad spoke up.

"Okay, picture time!" shouted Rachael's dad. "Everyone outside."

Bridget opened the door, and Rachael's mom motioned for them to head outside. Rachael walked next to Daniel as they moved in front of her house. Mr. Langdon figured the best spot for pictures. Mrs. Langdon had some fine rose bushes planted in front of their house, and he decided that Rachael and Daniel would look great near the red flowers.

Rachael stood next to Daniel and watched as her dad held a camera and began to take pictures of the couple. Rachael felt strange. Her dad was giving specific instructions on how they should stand, telling Rachael to stand closer to Daniel, or put her arm around his. The closeness made Rachael somewhat nervous. She could see her mom commenting on how pretty Rachael looked, or how handsome Daniel was. Rachael wasn't used to this kind of attention unless it was her birthday.

Still, she wasn't going to show it. She shouldn't be that terrified. This was a big night. Everything was going to be glamorous and fun. Everyone around her was having fun, and she should as well.

"Big smile, Rachael!" her dad shouted.

Rachael found herself laughing. It was kind of strange. Her dad was acting like a fashion photographer, her mom was gushing over everything, Bridget was being the cool chick she always was, and Daniel was wrapping his arm around her shoulder, as her dad asked him to do. Everyone was getting lost in this moment, and she was giving in as well.

Well, I guess if one does go mad, there's at least plenty of company.

Mrs. Langdon then told her husband that they needed to let the couple go to prom. Mr. Langdon agreed and turned the camera off.

"Okay Daniel," Mr. Langdon said, "be sure to bring her back by 12 p.m. Rachael, don't lose track of time."

Rachael soon found herself being hugged by her Dad. It was very nice.

"I'll be fine," she said. "I'll be home in time."

Rachael then quickly hugged her mother and her sister before getting into Daniel's car. She buckled in as Daniel got in and started the car.

Well, if I feel this same level of enthusiasm the whole night, maybe it won't be that bad.

"Okay, let's go to Prom," she said to Daniel.

They then pulled out of the driveway and down the street. Rachael was ready for whatever came.

((Rachael Langdon's Prom to be continued))
dmboogie

Post by dmboogie »

((Gah, sorry for the delay.))

After about thirty seconds, Rachael's dad opened the door. Tradition dictated that Daniel should have been quaking in his fancy shoes, about to receive one heck of a "Keep your hands off my daughter or I'll break off your feet and stick them on your head!" type speech; but Daniel knew Rachael's dad to be a pretty cool guy. Tradition would just have to casually back off, hands in its pockets while pretending that nothing had happened at all. Still, Daniel did feel just a tad intimidated. He was taking the man's daughter to the prom, after all.

Rachael's dad made a bit of the obligatory "Hey, nice to see you, how're you doing?" small talk that parents made when they saw one of their child's friends (though Daniel was more than just a friend at this point. Date? Boyfriend? No, that's going a bit far. Date would work. Man, that sounded weird in his head). After a minute or two of this, he was led inside to the foyer, where Rachael's mother and sister were waiting.

After about another minute of small talk Bridget called for Rachael, announcing Daniel's presence. As Rachael descended to the foyer, Daniel was somewhat amazed by her appearance. She had always been rather pretty, but now, with a fancy dress and makeup? Stunning. Also a bit intimidating. Sort of like "Ahahaha, Daniel, this is truly too good to be true, how did some guy like you manage to go to prom with am amazing girl like her? You are obviously delusional and lonely-" and that train of though was going to stop right there, thank you very much, internal monologue! Self-doubt can wait, he had things to do!

Rachael complimented Daniel's appearance as she reached the bottom of the stairs, and Daniel replied, "Heya. Y-you look very nice too, Rachael." (Argh, stuttering! Calm yourself, Daniel!) Before they had much of a chance to talk, though, Rachael's dad announced that it was already time to take pictures.

As the picture taking went on, (these things always seemed to stretch on forever. Daniel knew from experience, as his dad was quite the amateur photographer himself) Daniel slowly began to relax a little. It wouldn't be good at all if he spent the whole time stressing about stupid stuff. Enjoy the moment while it lasted, right? This'd be the last hurrah for his high school years, so it should be a night to remember fondly.

After approximately an eternity, Rachael's mom suggested that it was about time to let the two actually go to prom. Rachael's dad gave a final reminder to have Rachael back by midnight. Midnight was a nice, round, time. Sorta gave the whole event a fairy-tale feel, though at least his car wouldn't turn into various small rodents after the deadline has passed. That would be all sorts of inconvenient.

With a final round of good-byes, Rachael and Daniel left the house, entering his car shortly after. Just before Daniel drove out of her driveway, Rachael turned to him.

"Okay, let's go to Prom."

Daniel nodded, smiling at her. "Yes, let's!" Now, on to the prom! On to make WORLD HISTORY! Well, personal history at least. That'd be more than enough.

[[Daniel Whitten's Prom: Continued elsewhere.]]

Return to “Before Prom”