As Long as There are Stars Above You

Open

Even though its located on the water, The Waterfront definitely has a ‘locals only’ vibe to it. Mostly second and third generation businesses, the stores that line the area are eclectic staples of the community. The largest stores on the block are Karis Vintage Clothier; One Man’s Trash Thrift Store; Elysium Comic, Card, and Gaming Supply; Something Borrowed Used Books; and a Starbucks coffee house.
Espi

Post by Espi »

Snatching a mess of napkins in her hands, Nina sidestepped a random woman, deftly avoiding a collision, before dashing back to the table and trying to mop up the spilled mess.

"Ugh, I'm so sorry, guys." Nina said with a sheepish smile. "I'm such a klutz, honestly I'm surprised I'm still alive." A slight exaggeration, but Nina still had her moments.

The coffee was mostly cleared away; the table was still a bit damp, but clean enough. "Sooooooo sorry, guys. Did anyone get burned?" Nina asked, sighing. "I'm going to get a refill, be right back." She supposed she had to wait in line more, which did not please her.

What a waste of some pretty tasty coffee, Nina thought.
DGib123†

Post by DGib123† »

Nina nor Sophie had noticed Ray enter the coffee shop, or standing in line.

Maybe it's a good thing they hadn't noticed me. Last thing I want to do is involve myself in awkward conversations, or make a fool out of myself like I did in the maze.

He took a small sip of his coffee, and nearly burnt his lip with the smoke alone. He licked his lips, blowing into the coffee trying to cool it down. Out of a corner of his eye, he saw Nina grabbing napkins apparently dropping her coffee back at the table. A small line of people had blocked her view of him like some wall separating them.

Guess I'll take this as a sign, or a blessing in disguise then. Or maybe, I'm just too wimpy to actually engage others in conversation. Dammit...

Ray backed away, sighing to himself in disappointment. He turned towards the door, walking swiftly towards the exit. He pulled out his earphones, sticking them into his ears to drown out the surrounding noise before he exited the store.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler DGib123. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
watcher in night†

Post by watcher in night† »

((Apologies for the rather short post))

((Meera continued from Returning Home. Slight GMing of Nina approved))

At the very end of the Starbucks line, Meera watched as an African American highschooler with rather wild hair, who had been in line ahead of her and was staring in the direction of the tables, abruptly turned his back to the seated people and left the coffee store. She couldn't get a good glimpse of his face from where she stood, but she recognized him from school.  

Ray someone, she thought. His behavior struck her as rather odd. She looked in the direction he'd been staring at, and saw a girl she vaguely recognized as Sophie McDowell seated at a far table, half-hidden by a large crowd that was walking toward the exit. She was chatting with another Aurora High student Meera didn't know, a lean guy with auburn hair and blue-green eyes. She got a long enough glimpse of them to see that Sophie had a guitar slung over one shoulder, and then the crowds hid their table from view completely.

The coffee shop was quite crowded today, and Meera looked around for anyone else she recognized. She grinned as she saw her friend Nina Clarke, a girl with chocolate-brown skin and angular features, get in line behind her.

"Hey Nina! How's it going?"
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler watcher in night. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Deamon

Post by Deamon »

Nina had managed to finish wiping up the coffee and went to go and queue for another. Gray felt sympathy for her as he looked at the length of the queue. It was pretty much at the same length it had been when he'd walked in, and it had taken a while for him to get his drink then. He took a sip of his drink before starting to work on the cookie he had bought. He'd always been a sucker for a cookie.

As Gray sat there chewing on his cookie he remembered that both Nina and Sophie had asked him what a demo tape was. He decided to give Nina a quick explanation while they waited for Nina to return.

"Anyway, a demo tape is a video that a skater makes that shows off all their skills and best tricks. They then send this off to sponsors. Hoping that they'll be...well sponsored. Claire Monaghan filmed it for me and said she'd edit it, so it should look good when she's done."

Gray took another sip of his drink. It was weird since the ad had claimed it had all the benefits of caffeine but none of the taste, which was fine by him. Although it did make him feel like he'd just bought an expensive Sprite more than anything, but it had been his choice to go into Starbucks so he would have to deal with the price tag on everything. It was nice and cold though, especially on the fingers that had got coffee on them.

Gray wondered how close to the register Nina was. He wasn't exactly the best person at holding up a conversation when he didn't really know what the other persons interests were. He could at least talk about music, but depending on what genres people liked that could be awkward as well. It was worth a try though. He'd wanted to ask Sophie about "Swing Life Away" anyway so it was as good a time as any to do it.

"Hey Sophie, have you heard the song "Swing Life Away"? Just out of interest."
V8
Aracelis Fuentes
California “Cali” Fox
Darryl Smith Jr.
Jessica Romero
Roberta “Robbie” Woodvine
[+] V7
G047 - Aliya Kimia Nemati - Blowgun w/ 10 Poison Darts - you're nobody till somebody kills you - "I just wanted to talk." - DEAD
G001 - Arizona Butler - Camping Stove - Dead Bxdies in the Lake Part II - ""We got there eventually." - DEAD
B046 - Bret Carter - Weighted Net - Swerve - "I'll just be on my way and we can all continue with our evenings." - DEAD
G022 - Forrest Quin - Ball-gag and handcuffs - DRUGS SAV3D MY LIF3 - "Abe-" - DEAD
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Sophie sat back down. Nina left to get more coffee, so Sophie decided to sit and chat with Gray. He explained what a demo tape was and how he hoped to get sponsorship for skateboarding.

"Wow, that sounds really cool," Sophie said, sipping her iced tea, "I hope it turns out well."

Hey, Claire Monaghan's that girl who makes videos for people? I wonder if she would make a music video for me. It would probably be better than using Wallace's old webcam to record myself.

Gray then asked Sophie if she knew the song "Swing Life Away."

"'Swing Life Away'? No, I don't believe I know that one. I'm mostly into pop and classic rock. Who performs that one?"
Espi

Post by Espi »

"Oh, Meera! How've you been?" Nina exclaimed at the pleasant surprise. "It is nice to see you, it's been a little while." She offered a cheerful smile to Meera.

Nina and Meera were pretty close, being both sporty and friendly girls. Nina enjoyed the moments where she could spend time with her friends, especially now that her schedule was rapidly filling up with work, studying, school, working out, volunteering and prepping for college.

The line shifted forward. Nina stepped up with it.

"I spilled my coffee, so I'm getting another one." Nina stepped forward as the line moved forward again. "But otherwise I've been great. How're you?"

Nina tapped her foot in anticipation of getting to the front. She wasn't one to wait around, and queues required it. Nina was more of a go-getter than an optimistic waits-for-things-to-get-better-er.

The line moved forward. Nina shifted with it.
watcher in night†

((Eh, another short post))

"I've been well, thanks," answered Meera as they moved steadily closer to the front of the line. She hadn't seen Nina in quite some time; both girls had quite busy schedules of late.

"It's been a while, hasn't it? Life's been busy for us both." Meera looked around the crowded shop. "Do you have a table? I'm mostly free today, so—"

"Miss? Your order?" A voice cut across hers. Meera turned around and met the eyes of the cashier. She realized suddenly she was first in line, and quickly ordered her coffee. After paying the cashier, she stepped out of the line.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler watcher in night. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Deamon

Post by Deamon »

"It's a song by Rise Against, they're more of a punk band but it's one of the songs they play in their acoustic set." Gray didn't mention that it was his favourite song since he saw no need to bring it up. He was just asking whether or not Sophie had heard of it. She might have heard of Rise Against in passing after all, but Gray was expecting her to not have too much of an idea who they were. Not many people he knew seemed to, or they had heard of them through him. So he was used to explaining the band to people.

Gray had been thinking of getting more into classic rock though, he had only really listened to Gun & Roses and they were supposed to be classic rock so he made a mental note ask Sophie about any other classic rock bands that were good.  Gray took a look over at the queue while he took another sip from his drink. At the rate the queue seemed to be moving he would have finished it by the time Nina got back. He still had to cookie to eat, although he had already taken a chunk out of it.

Gray noticed that Nina was talking to another girl that was instantly recognisable as Meera Stele. Gray had never spoken to her properly but he had been in some of the same classes as her during his time at Aurora. Apart from that though he hadn't interacted with her much. She had more of an interest in competitive sports like running and swimming and Gray didn't take in part in those. He did wonder how he stayed so skinny despite never doing too much exercise but at the same time surfing and snowboarding were physically demanding so that helped explain it a little bit.

"How long do you think Nina has spent in the queue?"
V8
Aracelis Fuentes
California “Cali” Fox
Darryl Smith Jr.
Jessica Romero
[+] V7
G047 - Aliya Kimia Nemati - Blowgun w/ 10 Poison Darts - you're nobody till somebody kills you - "I just wanted to talk." - DEAD
G001 - Arizona Butler - Camping Stove - Dead Bxdies in the Lake Part II - ""We got there eventually." - DEAD
B046 - Bret Carter - Weighted Net - Swerve - "I'll just be on my way and we can all continue with our evenings." - DEAD
G022 - Forrest Quin - Ball-gag and handcuffs - DRUGS SAV3D MY LIF3 - "Abe-" - DEAD
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

"Hm, sorry, I don't think I've ever heard of Rise Against. I might have to look into that one later."

Gray then asked how long Nina had been in line to get a refill. Sophie turned around and looked at the line. She could see Nina waiting in line. It looked like another girl from school, Meera Stele, was in line as well. Sophie thought it was interesting that a few Aurora kids could end up at one Starbucks, but she figured it made sense. The Waterfront was a popular area, so it made sense to see a few people she knew in this area.

"Nina must have gotten in line after a large group," Sophie said. "It will probably pass soon."

Sophie turned back to Gray.

"So, what other musicians are you really into. Some of my favorites include The Beatles, Janis Joplin, and The Beach Boys."
Espi

Post by Espi »

Nina ordered another coffee this one slightly different because she changed her mind (black, sugar) shortly after getting up to the front. While she waited, she turned to Meera.

"Oh, yeah, I was sitting over with Sophie and Gray." Nina gestured casually to the two, who appeared to be enjoying a conversation. She was glad the two hit it off; it would've sucked if they ended up fighting for no good reason.

"So yeah, it's nice to see you again," Nina added with a cheerful smile. "You wanna sit down, or..." The barista called her name, and she stepped lightly over to take her drink with a cheerful "Thank you!" and a friendly grin.
watcher in night†

"Yeah, sounds good," Meera said, as Nina went to grab her drink. She looked over at Sophie and Gray, who were chatting amiably. She was mildly surprised that this number of Aurora kids had ended up in this Starbucks on the same day. In any case, they seemed to be enjoying themselves.

Moments later she heard her name called and Meera walked over to take her drink. As she rejoined Nina, she noticed the barista had misspelled her name, with an "i" rather than two "e"s. It was a fairly common mistake. Their family's surname was also often misspelled, something that had annoyed her brother Aamir as long as he'd been able to read. She'd never really minded, though.
Deamon

Post by Deamon »

So Sophie hadn't heard of Rise Against. That put a damper on the idea of her playing Swing Life Away, since Gray doubted she would be able to learn it in ten minutes. Sophie made a comment about Nina being behind a group in the queue and that she would probably be back in a minute. She then asked Gray which other musicians he was into and listed off some of her favourites. Gray had heard of The Beatles and The Beach Boys because really who hadn't. He had no idea who Janis Joplin was though, although he felt like he recognized the name. Ignoring the feeling Gray listed off three of his own favourites

"I'm pretty into Billy Talent, The Offspring and CKY. If you've heard of any of them. Enter Shikari are good too, but I doubt think they're that popular over here. I tend to listen to a lot of music when I'm out skating. So I listen to whatever gets me in a good zone."

Gray took another sip from his drink. He'd been drinking it slowly on purpose so that he'd still have some left when Nina got back. As it stood he was about half-way done and Nina was just paying for her replacement coffee so he would still have something left to drink when she got back. Gray also assumed that Meera would be joining them at their table since she had been talking to Nina while they were in the line, which wasn't a bad thing after all it would be more interesting than three people.

"Looks like Nina and Meera are done paying. So they'll be over in a sec."
V8
Aracelis Fuentes
California “Cali” Fox
Darryl Smith Jr.
Jessica Romero
[+] V7
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

"I think I've heard of The Offspring," Sophie said, "but I don't think I can recall their music."

Gray also mentioned that Meera and Nina seemed to be close to getting done with their orders.

"Oh, nice," she said before taking another sip.

"And yeah, I'm definitely fond of listening to music while doing tasks. If I'm doing homework, or chores, even working on some art, I like to have some headphones on and something fun playing. It just creates a good mood to work in."
Espi

Post by Espi »

Nina was startled when she checked the clock. "Hey guys, sorry but I have to go. I totally forgot I meant to do something." Well really, she had to do homework, and she had an impressive amount that she'd pushed out of her mind.

"Bye Sophie, Gray!" Nina called over to the two at their table. She turned to speak to Meera. "Bye girl! See you later?" She took her coffee (thank God for Styrofoam mugs!) and bolted out the door.

It was nice she'd gotten a brief respite, but now she really had a ton of stuff to do. Still, Nina smiled at the casual meeting; it was nice to have some free time in her business.

[[Nina Clarke's story continues in Not So Quiet Time in the Lunchroom]]
watcher in night†

"Yeah, I'd best be going myself," Meera said to Nina. "I've got a lot to do myself. Still, it's great to have run into you here!"

Meera quickly grabbed her drink. She really did have to run, she had a ridiculous amount of work to catch up on. She gave a friendly wave to Sophie and Gray.

"See you later?" Nina asked, and Meera nodded.

"Yeah, maybe on the weekend?"

She left the store.

((Meera continued elsewhere))

Return to “The Waterfront”