The King of Limbs

Open

Centennial Park is nicely balanced between dedicated fitness space and convivial social usage. Athletes love the two baseball diamonds, large green perfect for a weekend game of football or soccer, and well-tended jogging trail that circles the park. People looking for relaxation gravitate to the picnic pavilions and barbeque grills sprinkled throughout, the horseshoe pits, lawn bowling courts, large play structure for children, and a water feature that is active during the summer to cool off visitors.
Laurels

The King of Limbs

Post by Laurels »

((Sophie McDowell continued from I Played Baseball With My Younger Brother))

Sophie crouched to the ground and opened the guitar case. It was Saturday, it was warm, and she had nothing else to do. Time to busk.

Goddess of Artistic Inspiration, come to me.

Sophie lifted her acoustic guitar out of the case and began to tune it. She had been coming to Centennial Park to perform for a few years now. She had some rules about it, like make sure she didn't stay after sunset and keep an eye on all her possessions. There hadn't been any issues before, so Sophie was certain she could play without any issues.

The guitar was ready, and Sophie was set to play.

Okay, here we go.

Sophie began to pluck the strings. She knew exactly what to do, and began to sing.

Have you ever seen a one trick pony in the field so happy and free?
If you've ever seen a one trick pony then you've seen me.
Have you ever seen a one-legged dog making its way down the street?
If you've ever seen a one-legged dog then you've seen me.

Then you've seen me, I come and stand at every door.
Then you've seen me, I always leave with less than I had before.
Then you've seen me, bet I can make you smile when the blood, it hits the flo.or
Tell me, friend, can you ask for anything more?
Tell me can you ask for anything more?

Sophie felt a smile creep over her face as she noticed people looking at her. She noticed a few people drop change in the open guitar case.

I am the Boss.
Riki

Post by Riki »

[Joachim Lovelace: PreGame Start]

The sun shined gently on Joachim's face as he lay down on his blanket.

He likes the Centennial Park. He would often come here to lie down somewhere, to close the eyes and to enjoy the sun. But this was not the only reason. Sometimes, there was something else that drawed him to the park.

The sound of a guitar combined with a beautyful female voice filled the air.

This was the other reason.

Sophie is her name, that much is known to Joachim. And she visits the same school, she is even in the 12th grade. But there isn't anything else that he knows about her other than her skill with the guitar and her voice.

While Joachim is not a big fan of music, he enjoyed her performance. He doesn't know if he ever noticed him, but he also never cared.

Joachim lifted himself up and looked in Sophies direction.

I should give her money. It is unpolite not to do it.

Money was one of these things that Joachim viewed with a careful eye. He doesn't like to spend without thinking about why someone should spend it.
But after time passed and Joachim never gave a single dollar, he began to feel like a freeloader. It is irrational. Yet this feeling grew bigger each time he didn't threw something in her case.

That's why he want to change it this time.

He waited till she finished her song.

"Sorry, I should have gave you something earlier."
He took a 10 dollar note out of his pocket.
"So please, I hope this makes up for the many times your music made my days great."
With that, he threw it into the case.
Gervais Frans Lambotte 🎡 Blue Jeans and Bloody Tears 🎡 Martini-Henry Rifle MkIV Pattern
||Selection|Clicks|Lonely|
[+] Version 6
[+] Version 5
O B014 Joachim Lovelace - Ballistic Knife, MP 18, Obsidian Knife - "It doesn't matter. They lost, he lost, I'll lose. That's the nature of the game."
O G042 Aileen Aurora Abdallah - Pair of MMA Gloves, Golf Club & Table Leg -
B059 David Zimmer - Sabre -
[+] One Day
Hycanthe Eickenhorst
Piet Lick
Cedric Matsumoto [INSPO]
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Have you ever seen a one-legged man, trying to dance his way free?
If you've ever seen a one-legged man than you've seen me.

Sophie played the last few chords of the song before slowly strumming to a finish. She then smiled and gave the people around her a quick curtsy.

Alright, that went well. Okay, what to play next? I should make a set list.

That's when she heard someone speak to her.

Sorry, I should have gave you something earlier. So please, I hope this makes up for the many times your music made my days great.

Sophie watched as the guy put a $10 bill in her guitar case.

"Woah."

I've never been tipped like that. He must be a Springsteen fan. Wait, many times I've made his day?

Sophie turned to the guy. He looked like someone she might have seen at Aurora High before. It sounded like he heard her perform a few times, so Sophie decided to acknowledge him.

"Well, I'm glad you enjoyed the performance. Is there anything in particular you would like to hear? I can play pretty much anything by The Beatles. I can also do Janis, Madonna, and quite a lot of stuff from the 70's and 80's. There are also a few current songs I can do as well. It's only fair that someone who appreciates the art should hear something he likes."

But I will be embarrassed if I don't know anything he requests.
Riki

Post by Riki »

Joachim smiled when he noticed Sophie's surprisement.

"Well, I'm glad you enjoyed the performance. Is there anything in particular you would like to hear? I can play pretty much anything by The Beatles. I can also do Janis, Madonna, and quite a lot of stuff from the 70's and 80's. There are also a few current songs I can do as well. It's only fair that someone who appreciates the art should hear something he likes."

What I like, huh?

The tall boy began to think hard. He barely knows anything about music and he doesn't want to embarrass himself with a stupid request.

New German Wave?
His mother was a great fan of this genre and Joachim himself often hears her favorite songs. Some of them were even liked by him.
No... she probably doesn't know any songs in this genre.

Joachim continued to think about his request.
Californian Dreaming? No, this is from the 60's.

"You know, play whatever you want. I'm sure I'll be satisfied one way or the other."
After saying this, he turned around to take his blanket, then he put it on the ground near Sophie.
"Do you mind if I sit here? So it's better for me to listen to you?"
Gervais Frans Lambotte 🎡 Blue Jeans and Bloody Tears 🎡 Martini-Henry Rifle MkIV Pattern
[+] Version 6
[+] Version 5
O B014 Joachim Lovelace - Ballistic Knife, MP 18, Obsidian Knife - "It doesn't matter. They lost, he lost, I'll lose. That's the nature of the game."
[+] One Day
Hycanthe Eickenhorst
Piet Lick
Cedric Matsumoto [INSPO]
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Sophie waited patiently as the boy thought over what she should play. Ultimately, he decided that he didn't have any preference. He just wanted to sit nearby and listen.

"Go ahead," she said. "I won't stop you."

Okay, next song. Oh! I know!

"Okay," she said, "sit back, relax, and enjoy."

Sophie began to pluck the strings and begin her next song.

Those schoolgirl days, of telling tales and biting nails are gone.
But in my mind,
I know they will still live on and on,
But how do you thank someone who has taken you from crayons to perfume?
It isn't easy but I'll try.

If you wanted the sky I would write across the sky
in letters that would soar a thousand feet high.
To sir, with love.

Sophie looked at the big tipper and hoped he liked the song.

Wonder if I should give a gift to any of my teachers before I graduate. Oh, right, the next lyrics! Here we go!
Riki

Post by Riki »

"Go ahead, I won't stop you."

Joachim nodded his head slightly to show his gratitude.

"Okay, sit back, relax, and enjoy."

As she said it, he sat down on his blanket and looked at Sophie, waiting for her to play her next song.

"Those schoolgirl days, of telling tales and biting nails are gone.
But in my mind..."

Slowly, Joachim's body began to relax himself. Midway through the song, he found a proper position to lie down. His eyes closed and he enterly focused on the music.

...To Sir, with Love

The song ended and Joachim opened his eyes again. Sophie looked at him, and he smiled to show that he liked the song.

Altough Joachim wanted to hear another song, he also wanted to know a little more about the person that is playing the guitar.

Just as Sophie was about to begin another song, he interrupted her:
"Since when were you able to play the guitar? Did you learned it from somebody, or did you teach yourself?"
[+] Version 6
[+] Version 5
[+] One Day
Hycanthe Eickenhorst
Piet Lick
Cedric Matsumoto [INSPO]
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

"Very nice."

((Paris Ardennes continued from Magic Man))

Slightly off to the side the voice seemed to come from a tree. Closer inspection would reveal the shape of a person laying on one of the branches, eyes closed, taking in the bits of warm sunlight that managed to break past the leaves. He brushed back his dark hair and grabbed hold of the branch, then tipped himself to the side. His body tumbled out of the tree and came to a stop with his feet dangling a foot off the ground and his arm hanging, holding onto the branch. Paris opened his hazel eyes and at that moment let go of the branch, landing gracefully on his feet. A messenger bag was slung across his body and a guitar was hanging off his shoulder.

"Hello Sophie," he said walking up to her. In one swoop he sat cross-legged next to the other boy.

"Apologies for interrupting," he said. "I'm interested as well....about your playing," he finished in an upbeat manner.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

If you wanted the moon I would try to make a start
But I would rather you let me give my heart
To sir, with love.

Sophie played the last few notes of the song before strumming to a finish. She gave another quick curtsy as she waited for the response from anyone nearby. The boy who gave her the ten seemed interested. He was curious about how she got into music playing.

That's when he was suddenly joined by another person. Sophie recognized this one. Paris Ardennes. He was a lot like her, very interested in performing music and playing in public. The sack on his back suggested he had also come to the park to play music.

"Oh, it wasn't much," she told the guys. "My older brother Joseph had been playing guitar for a few years. When I was twelve, I asked him to teach me. He gave me some basic lessons before he went to college, then I taught myself afterwards. Yeah, I mostly just sought out sheet music online and then practiced over and over again."

Sophie quickly wiped her forehead.

"Anything you would like to hear, Paris? I told him what I can play, but I can do a lot of pop and soft rock, particularly stuff from that would have been big in the 70's and 80's, but I can play a few scattered things from before then and in the present."

That's when a strange thought entered Sophie's mind.

Oh God, what am I doing?

"Or, would you like to do a duet?"

Oh man, I've never done a duet. This is nuts.
Riki

Post by Riki »

"Hello Sophie."

Wha-? Where did he get from?

The sudden appearance of the other boy surprised Joachim, even more so him just sitting down next to him. He could at least ask. Joachim quickly let go of that feeling and greeted the boy friendly by nodding at him with a smile. Then, his eyes shortly looked at the guitar that is hanging off his shoulders. Appearantly he also wanted to play here.

"Oh, it wasn't much."

His focus was on Sophie again.

"My older brother Joseph had been playing guitar for a few years. When I was twelve, I asked him to teach me. He gave me some basic lessons before he went to college, then I taught myself afterwards. Yeah, I mostly just sought out sheet music online and then practiced over and over again."

These words reminded Joachim of Larissa, his big sister. She also wanted to learn an instrument, the piano, to be more precise, but the financial situation the Lovelaces have been in prevented that. Larissa, being Larissa, forgot about that idea soon after.

Sophie asked the other boy, Paris was his name, if he wanted to hear a particular song.

Do they know each other? Or why does she else know his name?

"Or, would you like to do a duet?"

Things just got very interesting for Joachim. Now that Sophie suggestes it, he really wants to hear a duet.

"A duet would be really nice, it'll sure be wonderful," said Joachim to the two musicians, hoping that Paris will agree.
[+] Version 6
[+] Version 5
[+] One Day
Hycanthe Eickenhorst
Piet Lick
Cedric Matsumoto [INSPO]
Skraal

Post by Skraal »

((Douglas MacAllister Start))

The sun beat down on Douglas' head as he jogged through Centennial Park. He'd been jogging for a while, so he decided to take short break. Not too long though, he thought. Slacking off's not going to help me win any matches. He cringed involuntarily as he remembered his father's disappointed face after his last defeat.

As he looked toward the centre of the park, he noticed a group of people about his age sitting on the ground. As he got closer, he recognised them from school. He didn't particularly know any of them too well, but he had seen them in the halls and in class before. What are they doing there?

Craning his neck to see from a better angle, he noticed the guitars and guitar cases on the ground beside them. Oh, they're playing for money. Douglas felt a little sorry that they were resorting to what essentially amounts to begging, but hey, everyone's got to make money somehow, right?

He looked at his watch. He didn't have to be home for another hour, so he decided to stay and listen to them. There was another kid there listening already, so they couldn't be too bad. It was still yet to be determined whether or not they deserved some of his money though.

He moved to a comfortable distance away from them and leaned against a tree. He crossed his arms smugly and waited. At the very least, this should be interesting...
[+] Survival of the Fittest Version 5
Characters:
Timothy Abrams
Weapon: Replica Flamethrower
Current Status: Deceased
Kyle Fitzpatrick
Weapon: Bulletproof Vest
Eliza Patton (Adopted from laZardo)
Weapon: M-1 Garand
[+] Survival of the Fittest Version 7
Characters:
Oliver Lacroix Current Status: Deceased
William "Bill" Dover Current Status: Deceased
Salvatore "Sal" Bonaventura (Adopted by Ohm) Current Status: Alive
Ruggahissy

Post by Ruggahissy »

Paris' eyes slid to the side and with a delay of about five seconds his head and then the rest of his torso followed, leaning towards the side.

"You must think I'm awfully rude. Joachim, right? I hope you're having a good day," Paris said with a slight touch to his shoulder.

He sat straight back up at the mention of a duet. The top of a gold chain was visible around his neck before disappearing under his shirt and it swayed in a way indicative of some sort of charm or pendant on the end. Paris' hand crept towards his guitar case.

"Well, I wasn't expecting to play but how could I say no?"

He pulled out the guitar inspected the strings briefly. He started up with a vibrant, quick flamenco-like tune and looked around.

"Hmmmm."

His fingers seemed to move independent from him, repeating the same short, lively tune. Suddenly it stopped and changed to a slower but still latin-tinged melody. He seemed to snap back and gazed at Sophie.

"How about Black Magic Woman?"
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Sophie couldn't believe she asked Paris to do a duet with her, but he seemed up for it. He pulled his guitar out of the case and asked if she knew the song "Black Magic Woman."

"Hmm, give me a sec," she said in response.

Sophie recognized the name of the song. She was certain it was on a version of Guitar Hero that her brothers played. That's right, it was a Santana song.

"Well, I know of the song. I wouldn't mind playing it though. It's a cool song with a good melody. I don't know all the lyrics though, so you might want to take the lead on that."

She quickly strummed on the guitar.

"Is there a certain chord pattern I could follow though? I haven't listened to the song in a while, but if you give me an idea on what to play, I can probably pick it up really easily."
Riki

Post by Riki »

"You must think I'm awfully rude. Joachim, right? I hope you're having a good day."

Joachim's hand touched the place Paris touched him. He was a little confused. Why does he know Joachim's name? Why did he know what he was thinking? The pale teenager took a second and deep look at Paris' face. Slowly, Joachim began to remember him. Paris also went to Aurora High School, Joachim sees him sometimes. Upon deeper thinking, Joachim realized that he already heard Paris name... and forgot it. He is not very good with names.

"Oh, no. I don't think you're rude. But thanks, hope you have a good day too," replied Joachim.

Paris didn't seem to notice, he was playing his guitar, seemingly in a trance like state.

"How about Black Magic Woman?"

Black Magic Woman? Weird title...

Sophie appearantly knows the song, yet she isn't sure if she can play it. Ultimately, she just wanted to know a certain chord pattern and left the lead to Paris.

Brown eyes shifted toward Paris, Joachim was curious about his skills, his face showing signs of excitement.

This will be awesome.
[+] Version 6
[+] Version 5
[+] One Day
Hycanthe Eickenhorst
Piet Lick
Cedric Matsumoto [INSPO]
K-Robe

Post by K-Robe »

(Bradley Edwards continued from Debates and Discourse)

Bradley yawned slightly and rubbed his eyes as he walked through the park. It wasn't his intention to start walking around the park (hell, it wasn't even his intention to wake up so late that he was still feeling its effects this late into the day), but a surprising lack of homework combined with the fact that he had absolutely nothing to do today managed to convince him to get off his ass and enjoy the outside. Enjoying the outside was not one of the things that Bradley Edwards was known for, mind you, but he had been making an effort to at least try to be more open and outgoing these past few weeks.

So, he was doing things that sociable people did. Like take walks in parks. And not staying cooped up inside playing video games.

Still, after a few minutes, it was starting to get dull. The summer air beat down on him like a microwave and he could almost feel the sweat forming on his body as he absentmindedly fanned himself with his hand. His mode of dress, a polo shirt and slacks, were not helping his case. Bradley felt like dragging his PSP out of his pocket, plugging a pair of earphones into it, and playing under the shade of a tree for the rest of the day. The ambient sound of music stopped him, though. First starting as background noise, eventually becoming more prevalent.

Bradley recognized the song. Bruce Springsteen. Nice song, nice beat, relaxing to listen to. That was real music.

Bradley stayed quiet and listened to the song and let it fill his ears. He looked at the girl who was singing the song. He recognized her, and she seemed to be high school age, so she probably went to Aurora, too. Bradley hesitated as to whether he should drop a few bills into her guiter case as some others had been doing.

Eventually, two others got involved with her. A third, Bradley noted, was sitting against a tree, quite obviously listening to her music. Bradley briefly mused that he was really good at eavesdropping and spotting things, despite his dodgy vision. There was some discussion between the newly formed group. Bradley didn't know if he should be jealous at how easily they got along, despite the fact that they didn't seem to have known each other before today.

"Ah, whatever," Bradley said. He adjusted his glasses, took a seat on a park bench opposite from the guitarist, crossed his legs, and decided he'd spend his day relaxing like this. Sure as hell beats being inside and having nothing to do, anyway.
Virtua-SOTF - F05: Renee Murphy - The Broken Bird - "Until we find out, you're going to need me."
Threads: Holding Out For A Hero > Inexplicable > Rebel Without a Clue > While Rome Burns > Far From Home > Breaking Point > Swan Song > Still Red > Last of the Alderbrooks
Virtua-SOTF - M16: Patrick Reynolds - The Ingenuine - "Um, I think we're lost."
Threads: The Funniest Joke in the World > I Can Hear the Bells > From Where You're Kneeling
SOTF V5 - Bradley Edwards - The Spare - "Call me a cynic..."
Pregame Threads: Debates and Discourse
Meanwhile Threads: Above it All
SOTF V6 - Audrey Reyes - The Dedicated - "Get the camera!"
Pregame Threads: There's No Time Here in Space
Threads: Hideaway
Skraal

Post by Skraal »

Douglas aimlessly played with the bark of a nearby tree as he listened to the guitar players discuss which song that they wanted to play. They finally seemed to decide on one suggested by the blond boy. Black Magic Woman. Douglas searched his mind to see if he had heard that song before, but nothing came up. Oh well, I guess I'll hear it soon enough...

As they began discussing chord patterns, a movement caught Douglas' eye. A small frail boy with glasses walked into the park and sat down on a bench close to the guitar players. The boy crossed his legs, relaxing as the bulge of some sort of rectangular object became visible in his pocket.

The boy himself was unfamiliar to Douglas, so he quickly forgot about him, turning back to the guitar players. They were talking to some other kid who Douglas didn't recognise, who seemed to be getting visibly excited. Douglas stared at him. Calm down, they can't be that good... Douglas began to reconsider his decision of stopping to listen to them.

Douglas' thoughts were interrupted by the high pitched buzzing of a fly that for some reason decided that the most comfortable to place to fly was beside Douglas' head. After shooing it away, he turned back to watch the guitarists, waiting for them to start playing. Why was he so impatient to hear them anyway?
[+] Survival of the Fittest Version 5
Characters:
Timothy Abrams
Weapon: Replica Flamethrower
Kyle Fitzpatrick
Weapon: Bulletproof Vest
Eliza Patton (Adopted from laZardo)
Weapon: M-1 Garand
[+] Survival of the Fittest Version 7