The Only Sacred Ground

This is the rest of the outdoor campus. It is not particularly large or beautiful, but there are plenty of grassy areas, as well as a couple of small hills. Three gazebos provide shelter from rain. The campus itself is bordered by a fairly busy street, so it is not particularly quiet during the day. This also encompasses the bus stop directly adjacent to the campus, which is technically off school grounds. A few students use it as a place to smoke, since tobacco use on campus is punishable by suspension.
Arscapi†

Post by Arscapi† »

"I usually relax with a good book," Kaliska said motioning to the slightly worn book that lay beside her. "The crystal is supposed to help you focus although I'm not sure how well it works. I'll let Ramble fill you in on the details."

She settled back and started working on her breathing. "I have a question, how do you know you're meditating? I mean what exactly do I do with all this focus I'm working on?"
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Arscapi. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
ifnotwinter†

Post by ifnotwinter† »

Ramble's voice was patient as he explained the focus crystal to Janie. Inwardly, he was laughing. If he'd known so many people would be interested he could've brought a pamphlet. "The crystal works in couple of different ways. It's useful as a focus to people who are starting out or easily distracted...instead of clearing the mind of all thoughts, you can focus on the single image of the crystal. The type you're using will also affect your chakras and your energy flow. You can use different crystals to direct your meditation -- that's usually how I use them."

He shot her a quick grin. "I definitely agree about the relaxing, though. No one's properly relaxed anymore! It's just go, go, go, all the time. You know, a lot of physical and mental illnesses can be traced through to stress and energy imbalances. If we just took some time for ourselves, I think we'd all be a lot healthier."

Turning to Kaliska, "The most basic idea is clarity of mind and awareness of the body. So you'll know you're doing it right when it becomes easier for your mind to be empty...no thoughts, just calm, or the image of the crystal if that's what you're working on. You should experience some hyperawareness of your body...that's being conscious of things like breathing, where your limbs are, your five senses. Just concentrate on that for now."

As he spoke, Ramble reflected somewhat ruefully on how he'd come to meditate and instead was just talking up a storm. Not that he minded, really -- he hadn't been in turmoil or needing the focus and clarify meditation would bring -- but it seemed a little amusing. Teacher, teach thyself.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler ifnotwinter. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Casey the Undead†

Post by Casey the Undead† »

Janie smiled at Ramble's explanation. Of course it wasn't magic or anything, it was just (apparently) really, really cool. So if she focused on the crystal she should be able to clear her thoughts and be allowed total relaxation via meditation. That was awesome. Janie hadn't had a real day of relaxing since she was about twelve. High school was stressful.

"I think all those statistics are just proof that they should bring back nap time. High schoolers are too stressed! We're all going to get heart disease and dysentery at this rate! Just let us sleep, or meditate, simple solutions."

Janie shifted, stretching her back and refolding her legs under her. She straightened her posture and nodded to herself, breathing in deeply a few times. She rested her palms on her knees, and closed her eyes for a second, focusing solely on her breathing. She reopened them and turned to Ramble and Kaliska, still nodding.

"Right, I think I'm ready for this."
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Casey the Undead. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Cake

Post by Cake »

[[Miles Strickland Continued From: Tiger in the Night.]]

Outside the school building was quite chilly for Miles, even with the sun. Thank goodness for his thermal of espresso.

Miles held the binder of homework and school items which he'd collected for his sick younger brother and was now leaving the campus to deliver it to him. He followed one of the concrete sidewalk trails leading to the parking lot, drinking his latte along the way. He would need a refill of that too, on his way back. Miles froze mid-step in surprise once he noticed a few of his classmates sitting on the grass together in a straight line looking like the Three Wise Monkeys.

He stared at them in perplexed wonder for a few brief seconds, before taking another sip from his mug. He recognized that Ramble kid in the center of it, to no surprise at all, along with the two girls, Janie and even Kaliska, Francis' friend. When he had enough, Miles continued on his way to the parking lot and when he was sure he was far enough away, he shook his head and muttered to himself with a chuckle.

"Pfft... Hippies."

[[Miles Strickland Continued To: Cousins.]]
Arscapi†

Post by Arscapi† »

Kaliska nodded her agreement with Janie, after listening carefully to Ramble's explanation. "I'd be willing to forgo naptime if we'd start a little later. Honestly, most of the time I'm barely awake for first period."

After adding her two cents, Kaliska made a concerted effort to meditate. She didn't think that she made much progress. Her mind continued to wander from topic to topic, focusing on everything but the stone in front of her. Kaliska opened her eyes after a few minutes to see if Ramble and Janie were more successful then she was. Glancing at her watch she realized she really needed to be on her way. Standing, she stretched and then turned and looked down at Ramble and Janie. "This was interesting, thanks for the lessons Ramble. I'll try and practice more. At the moment however I have errands that need to be finished."

((Kaliska Day continued in On the Waterfront))
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Arscapi. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.

Return to “Campus”